User Reviews (4)

• Sometimes, small is beautiful.

This touching and sexy short film makes the most of its rather traditional set-up (geeky gay fancies straight Adonis) and turns it into something rather wonderful.

The closest high school senior Ben gets to gorgeous jock Johnny is shining a spotlight on him during rehearsals for A Streetcar Named Desire (and there is something of the tremulous fragility of a Tennessee Williams heroine in Adam Fleming's touching portrayal of gay Ben.) On stage, playing Stanley Kowalski, Michael Cassidy's handsome but arrogant Johnny can't remember his lines.

A solution presents itself, as Ben offers to help him rehearse. It doesn't look promising, as it doesn't appear that Johnny's memory even extends as far as remembering Ben's name: "Light Boy" is the best he can do.

The rehearsal takes place poolside at Johnny's home - with refreshments courtesy of abandoned champagne from a recent party of his parents'. It's a bit corny to put the boys next to a pool - gee, I wonder if they'll strip off - but it works.

As they drink, run lines and chat their relationship develops. Saying any more would spoil it, but it is a testament to the skill of the screenwriter and the two young actors that each step along the way is handled with great appreciation for the many nuances and feints of adolescent male sexuality.

As Johnny, Cassidy is spectacularly charismatic - with a megawatt smile that could light up LA. (It's no surprise that he auditioned for Superman, and it's a wonder that Bryan Singer let him get away.)

Taking an age-old story and making it come alive, plaudits all round. Apparently, director Adam Salky hopes to turn Dare into a feature film. Let's hope he does.
  • legallyblond7625 September 2005
    This movie, short as it was, was HOT! The two post-adolescents discovering their sexuality reminded me of those fumbling high school experiences I once had. I remember the awkwardness and newness of youth, and to be honest, seeing this movie made me miss being 18 a bit.

The lead character actors in the film must have been over 18, though, given the material with which they were working, but nevertheless, both were able to adequately portray the fresh faced innocence that the part required. And seriously, these guys were HOT.

I think I'll stop now before I start sounding like an old perv (though I'm only in my 20's!).

Check it out if you have a chance! It's worth the time.

-s-
  • "Light Boy" Ben admires Johnny, the star of the new school play ("A streetcar named desire"). Unbeknownst to Johnny, this admiration will soon turn into lust. What then? Can the two boys remain friends or after certain limits are crossed there is no turning back? When Johnny invites Ben to swim together after having a few drinks, the conversation will become more intimate.

Both actors manage to convey a youthful spark, while at the same time expressing defined personalities in this brief story. It was especially interesting to see Michael Cassidy play a role only too familiar to his character in The OC or Hidden Palms, although here perhaps he is a most riveting seducer, full of sensuality.

There is something very subtle in the way these two boys interact with each other. Not only because of the ambiguous source of desire that ignites a more contact physical exchange between them or Ben's suggestion of practicing a fellatio on Johnny. As they move swiftly in the swimming pool, it's easy to realize that, indeed, something lies beneath the surface.

In the credits, director Adam Salky acknowledges filmmaker Tom Kalin; then it should be easy to understand why the fascination towards ambiguity and the subtlety are paramount guidelines in this short film.
    "Dare" is a 10-year-old short film that runs for 16 minutes and it is another example of how the short film genre is so popular for gay-themed movies that have basically nothing to offer. Literally, they all look the same: one shy guy, one extrovert and they have trouble getting together and accepting who they are, usually one of them. "Dare" was directed by Adam Salky and written by David Brind. The two reunited 4 years later to turn this short film into a 90-minute full feature with Emmy Rossum playing one of the main characters. This short film is mostly about the two young guys, so I guess they made the female main character a bigger role as Rossum, already a Golden Globe nominee at this point, is easily the biggest name in the cast. They recast the other roles as well. As for me, I may watch the full feature at some point, but not really because this was a promising short film, only because I quite like Rossum. With these gay-themed short films, it is basically always the same. I wonder if they will ever make one that does not have blowjob talk and obscenities from start to finish. I mean heterosexual romantic films and short films are also about other things and it is about equality after all, right? Not recommended.