User Reviews (1,780)

• WeeClaude10 June 2017
    Silly action movie = no masterpiece
    I wanted to like Wonder Woman, but I just can't get aboard the hype train. It's really the same as every other cartoonish, overblown comic-book action movie, except with a female protagonist.

Actually, this is worse than the average comic book movie, because it preaches to the audience about pacifism but then hypocritically celebrates "heroic" violence. In other words: Wonder Woman is an alleged pacifist who kills a bunch of people. Wonder Woman is also an alleged feminist, who allows Steve Trevor to drive the entire plot and basically steal the movie from her. Really, this thing is about as progressive as Dick Cheney's great-great grandfather.

I could forgive Wonder Woman's flimsy social commentary, if it were any good in other respects. But the plot is loose and shabby, the CGI is poor, and about half the scenes were shot in front of a green screen. Sometimes, I couldn't tell if I was watching a real movie, or Patty Jenkins playing God of War on her Playstation 2. (When exactly did cinema and video games blend into this horrible hybrid art form, which has none of the beauty and charm of old-school cinema?)

And don't get me started on the villains. The World War I era Germans are depicted as cartoonishly eeeevil, while the same era's British Empire is held up as a heroic ideal. Meanwhile, the main villain is a nightmare of bad CGI, who looks like he belongs on a 1980s heavy metal album cover. Naturally, they got a wonderful actor for this stupid part and wasted him entirely.

Perhaps I'm going overboard on criticisms, but we need some balance to the rapturous praise this film has received. Movie fans often accuse professional critics of being too harsh, but lately, I think critics have actually become too lenient. Mainstream movies get dumber, louder and tackier all the time, and they are increasingly substituting mawkishness for real emotion and character development. And yet the critics have given this thing a great Rotten Tomatoes rating! I guess we've all lowered our standards to rock bottom?
  • Karim Amin9 June 2017
    Lazy writing at its best
    First of all, this movie only made money because it's a superhero movie. Everyone likes superheroes and there is no way a parent is not going to take their children to see it. Look at Transformers. Most of the movies are downright idiotic but it still makes money because it's.....Transformers. So all popular comic book hero movies will make money period.

I can't make sense of the movie and I really don't think the writers knew either. Her morales flip flop, the bad guy has no real reason to be "bad", the good guy has no real reason to "die." The side characters really didn't serve much of a purpose.

Some parts of the movie are decent and a few seconds later, the same scene turn into a total crapfest. The 3rd part is an utter mess and that act alone should be more then enough reason to keep WW off the top of the charts but somehow has a 94% rating on RT? That right there shows you that ratings are padded because you can't have at least 1/3 of a movie be total trash, 1/3 of the movie just corny dialog and somehow end up at the top of the charts.
  • jnaps09812 June 2017
    WW = Watta Waste
    Zack Snyder strikes again. He wrote the script. It shows!

No character development - this is an origin story. I wanted to see how Diana becomes Wonder woman, what experiences shape her on her journey, is she ever at conflict with her values? There is no single incident that actually affects or moulds her in anyway. Diana is essentially WW at the beginning of the movie. She does not grow into or earn this role. Nothing shapes or impacts her after she is WW either. She falls in love but would she have been a different WW otherwise? NO!

In Iron Man, it took 2/3 of the movie, failures and multiple iterations, for Tony Stark to become Iron Man. His experience in the cave and learning that his weapons are used by terrorists, deeply impact and change him. Spider-man has to live with the guilt of his uncle's death, learn to use his powers, understand the balance of power and responsibility. Thor is born with all the power but it takes a whole movie for him to learn what it means to be a hero. Captain America has to become a leader and earn everyone's respect. Batman, Doctor Strange... there are so many examples of origin stories. The self discovery and growth are not implied, they are core and intrinsic to the story. WW does not have this core - she has an objective which is entirely different. For this reason alone, this movie is an epic fail in my book.

Themyscira: I just hated this in its entirety

• Weird accent. Gal Gadot couldn't fake an American accent, so they had everyone else try to talk like her.

• Young Diana. The primary purpose is to elicit a 'cho chweet' response. She is a demi-god. There is no self discovery... why is she different, stronger than everyone else; how does that affect her?

• The 'train her, don't train her' non-issue. Diana gets combat trained despite her mother (and Queen!) not consenting. The arising conflict should have taken more than 2 lines of dialogue to be resolved. This would have also impacted Diana, her mother didn't want her to learn combat and suddenly wants her to be the best. Why? This is a page right out of Zack Snyder's Martha handbook of resolving issues.

• Fighting. The creative decision was that Amazonians don't fight, they ballet. Every jump, swing from a rope, shooting an arrow, getting off a horse is a dance move. It just looked ridiculous.

Strike a pose: WW literally poses in each and every shot. She has her shoulders pushed back like she is trying to make her shoulder blades meet. It looks unnatural and odd. The poses are the exact same as in BvS. There is...wrists crossed in front of the face, crouching behind the shield, standing in a wide stance and the jumping pose with one knee bent. And they are shot exactly the same as in BvS. They probably just reused clips. They are not poses in the middle of a range of movements. It's pose, pause for 5 secs, next pose, pause for 5, repeat.

Humour: This is not comic relief. They dedicated a continuous 15-20 min segment and it all stems from the cultural differences between the Amazonians and us. The bath scene, sleeping in the boat, the secretary, the clothes trials... all stems from the same issue. It's the same material stretched for 15 mins and frankly gets tiresome.

Villain: In a weak attempt to create twist, the villain is introduced late in the film. There is no time to associate with the character. The villain exists simply as someone to be fought.

Final battle: Visually, this sequence is identical to the doomsday fight in BvS. If someone mashes these 2 scenes up, it will be hard to differentiate one from the other.

The McGuffin: There is no reason given why WW goes into hiding. What is the entire deal with the photograph and the secrecy? There's so much focus on this but it's not resolved.

Gol Gadot: O!M!G! Could there possibly be a better WW? But she's posing and grunting though the entire movie. Very off putting. Her acting skills fluctuate quite a bit too. Perhaps since her character also fluctuates. WW goes from being head strong, doing what SHE wants, to naive and easily persuaded, to emotionally distraught by the horrors of war, to a super hero that's reckless. BTW since she has no clue of the real world, how does she know if she's fighting on the right side? Also considering Amazonians are warriors, for whom battle training is the only form of recreation, why is she horrified by war?

Fight Choreography: Other than the training sequence, the choreography is a close second if not at par with the fights in Captain America 2 but the slow motion ruins it completely. It's not used to accentuate the fight, every punch goes in to slo-mo. If! everything! is! accentuated! nothing! stands! out! This coupled with the grunting just spoils each fight.

Chris Pine: The best thing in the movie by a mile. His is the only character given some depth and Chris Pine did justice to the role.

I understand the cultural, social and contemporary significance of this movie. But that is not reason enough for me to love it. I feel it completely failed to live up to the hype, even though reviews and box office prove contrary. But there may be a silver lining here. All the hype shows the love for WW and how long overdue the movie really is. I'm hoping they are going to make another one soon and I hope it's going to be far better. Isn't that what a superhero movie is about...hope?
  • rjabbo11 June 2017
    An insult to human intelligence
    ~~~spoilers in tilde~~~

The following is a (paraphrased) conversation between a supporting and main character in the middle of final battle scene. Mind you, there is absolutely no lead-up to the revelation that follows. "We need to stop the bombing plane!" "Let's blow it up!" "We can't. It'll kill everyone if it's on the ground" "I'll fly it far away from everyone then!" "Okay but the bomb is on a timer"

At this point, some words manifested themselves in my brain. Words like "forced drama" and "asspull". I turned my palm upright and apathetically stated, "Seriously?".

My head turned to the moviegoers around me, expecting groans or eyes rolling, but saw naught but zombie-like blank stares. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and assumed they turned off their brains in attempt to salvage as much enjoyment as possible out of the $11.50 and two hours of their life they had lost. But alas coming here and seeing mostly rave reviews and ratings have proved my faith in humanity to be misplaced.

---

Wonder Woman 2017 is (or is supposed to be) a story of a naive but strong woman who discovers that humanity is not as black-and-white as a comic book is. She must journey to understand this trope and learn to use her strength to bring out the best in people. The movie begins with the titular character in her "naive" phase in a village isolated from a world in conflict.

About 15 minutes into this and the movie has already betrayed its own narrative. To begin, there is no sense of ease. Not a single joke, not a playful moment, nothing. It's all character conflict, hints of future conflict, or expository world building (tell-don't-show instead of show- don't-tell). This is NOT how you convey naivety. The potential for character development is ruined within these first 15 minutes.

In phase 2, the violence of the outside world stumbles upon paradise. Except it's not a paradise because we've only ever seen people arguing with each other. What could have been an exciting "awakening" moment instead falls flat.

Enter male MC. Almost immediately he steals the title with some innocent and light-hearted moments. The beginning looks even worse in comparison because now he's the naive one. What follows are poor attempts at chemistry between the innocent-but-not-really-innocent Wonder Woman (gadot) and the true star of the show (Pine).

Skipping ahead a lot, a ragtag team of misfits is formed who generally don't get enough screen-time to develop or be explored. One is a guy who sees ghosts and this point is never mentioned again. In the middle is the only scene with any emotional weight where gadot charges an enemy trench ending years of stalemate. As expected of the horrible script however, the moment overstays its welcome. It moves right into an attack on a town without any pause to punctuate the significance of the scene.

Skipping ahead again, there's more bad pacing and scenes without emotional impact. The ending is particularly terrible. ~~~The "big bad" who had been hyped throughout some scattered scenes is defeated effortlessly. As referenced in the beginning, Pine is the person who sacrifices himself in the end for the sake of a dumb plot-point. Naturally, you can't have a character better than the titular character surviving the franchise.~~~ A random supporting character is introduced as the true villain and some CGI magic occurs instead of some visceral man vs woman combat.

Overall, almost everything was bad.

The plot was terrible: twists or conflicts happen with little-to-no buildup.

The directing was terrible: scenes are poorly timed and paced.

Gadot is terrible. Of the few negative reviews here, most criticize her horrible uninspired performance, which is true, but then again how could anyone perform such a bad character? Pine is actually interesting ~~~but is killed unremarkably because he is too interesting. I wonder if the writers realized this. Why didn't they fix it if they did? ~~~.

The action was bad: while I don't really mind obvious CG anymore, there was a complete absence of visceral "human" fights that DC have had in the past, like when Bane is savagely brutalizing Batman with his fists and there's no orchestral accompaniment or CGI to be found. Maybe it would have looked weird with a lanky gadot beating down or getting beat by a villain. Then again you could have just got rid of her and gotten a better woman. In fact just get rid of everyone except Pine while you're at it.

Final rating: 3/10

*Note: I felt compelled to rate as a 1/10 to offset the fake reviews (by shills perhaps? Or maybe Idiocracy is becoming a documentary).
  • Brandon Christopher5 June 2017
    A laughable mess in slow motion
    I'm definitely the minority here, but I can't get over the fact that this film is rated higher than films like Enter the Void, Moonlight, The Kings Speech, Spotlight and sooo many other much better films. The critics took the money on this one and ran.

To me, this film was cheesy, campy, and completely missed the mark. The ridiculous costume that is clearly symbolic for America ( there's clearly a fuc*ing gold eagle on her chest and it's red white and blue), yet she hails from Greece and calls herself an Amazonian God - WTF?!! AMAZONIAN!?!?!? I was so confused. Then, there is an American who is a British Spy (huh?) Most of the German Nazis speak with British accents and she can deflect bullets yet she loses her hearing to explosions.... I'm sorry, but I just could not get past this to enjoy the film. As an origin story, it's completely ludicrous. Maybe it worked back when the comic was written, but today it just comes off as a desperate attempt to pry the money from people that want to be viewed as politically correct. If you study film and take movies seriously, you should avoid a visit to the theater for this one. Watch it at home for free and make your own opinion, but I can see this media-con being laughable in 20 years.
  • rogeriogsampaio24 June 2017
    IMDb has failed me.
    For as long as I could remember this website was a beacon of light guiding me throughout a vast ocean of bad movies, actors and directors. Tonight, i feel disappointed. This picture was SO AWFUL I don't know even where to begin. HOW IS IT POSSIBLE that it has 8.0+ score?

Gal Gadot is beautiful, sexy and physically looks like Diana Prince, but she's not an actress. Well, at least not for a character with this depth. I actually felt sorry for Chris Pine, which is the only salvageable thing in this 2h20min disaster.

The movie has zero continuity, it's so bad written it makes you wonder how these guys ever got into a position to have had the chance to write something like this. It seems as an 11 year old could have written it on the car ride before school.

I don't want even get started on the details, because everything major on this was wrong.

From now on, I'm not sure how I'll trust IMDb again.
  • 19142 June 2017
    1914 it's not
    I guess all the really bad Germans have been exhaustively & now boringly used up one to many times,beat dragged & tortured in the previous thousand turkey shoot WW2 movies from the Longest Day to Inglourious Basterds ... maybe having an Israeli IDF glamour girl pummel the last surviving movie Nazis seems rather unsportsmanlike.

So now we have fresh meat Germans from WW1 that just aren't as Kosher as the WW2 bad-ass Nazi robotrons . It just doesn't come across as the good fight,IDF Wonder Woman against the exhausted muddy trench fighting & dying Germans of the Kaiser's Army. Wonder Woman defending the huge British Imperialist Empire against the upstart smaller German Imperialist Empire. What Empire should I root for?

So duel citizenship Wonder Woman kicks Kaiser Sheev Palpatine Admirals right of the bridge off the first Allegiance-class Star Destroyer she crosses paths with...ops, wrong universe ... kicking Kaisers Wilhelm's poison gas snorting quasi-Nazis off the bridge of the nearest Zeppelin so the smaller Axis of Evil Ottoman Empire can be carved up & the righteous State of Israel formed on the back of the defeated Turkish subjects thanks to Wonder Woman!

Well...basically that is the historical time-line.

Hollywood writers wet dream rewrite of history since they now have picked clean the dried carcass of WW2 & can finally move on,but the sidekick American Hero going futuristic suicidal jihadi just doesn't bode well for gentlemanly slaughter of 1914. Lawrence of Arabia versus Wonder Woman might be in the works with smart-ass Shia LaBeouf as Captain Lawrence.

Maybe I'm reading to much in this generic CGI feast on the eyes.but I have to as this endless stream of Marvel/DC comic green screen movies are blurring into each other .Now the original corny T.V Carter always seemed like an awkward top heavy super hero gal but Gal Gadot comes across as a sweaty Stairmaster extra & just as talented as a 10lb Dumbbell.
  • gsdmorehead30 June 2017
    Shocked at how this movie has received good reviews.
    I don't get it. I must be completely out of touch with what is popular for today's movie going public, and am scratching my head how this terrible movie receives such good reviews. This was the first movie I've been to at the cinema that I wanted to leave. I wanted to leave after 20 minutes. I decided to stay to see if things would turn around. Big mistake.

I fought back the urge to get out of my seat a further two times staying till the end. One of the only things keeping me going was getting home to go online and enjoy the critics laying into this atrocious movie. Only they didn't. They loved it. Apparently this is one of the best superhero movies of the year ("slash,") ever. If so I'm glad I've avoided most of the others.

The plot and dialogue was extremely dull, and the WW11 setting didn't really take the film anywhere beyond the realms of mundane. People seem to be getting giddy about how the film represents a positive step for feminism. This again shocks me as the film seems to be quite anti-feminist in it's nature. Just because the films main character is a woman doesn't mean this film is feminist. I swear that most if not all the people who have rated this film highly have either been brainwashed, or they are idiots, I can think of no other explanation.

Back to the content, and after sitting through rather lousy dialogue, we get to the part in the film where, Diana is introduced to a trio of guys who are going to help her out in her mission. And what a trio they are, they get my vote for the worst characters in any film ever and instantly took this film from a 1 out of 10 to a -2. I'm not going to name them. They are not worth it. If they weren't bad enough the villains are also exceptionally bad, a grumpy Nazi general, and a woman with a disfigured face, covered phantom of the opera style, with the moniker Dr Poison. In another film this might be a fun nickname, unfortunately the grayness of the Nazi's and the backdrops we find them in just make Dr Poison seem dull.

There are a couple of fun moments in this film, like a trailers worth, and to be fair they are no means exceptional. Just plain standard. As such this is a film that has not pushed a single boundary.

Spoiler (this next part reveals what happens at the end of the movie.)

The worst part for me was the climatic battle at the end. It would take some extremely effective and persuasive acting for a British male mustachioed MP type to play Ares (based on the Greek God with the same name,) here we reach the films climatic failure. The fight now just seems stupid. For what, omg, that politician guy I never cared about is Ares! Facepalm. Most pointless twist ever.

Superhero films seem to be popular and make a lot of money at the Box office. Hopefully one day people will wake up and stop eating this garbage, and If you think this film represents a step in the right direction for feminism you probably need your head examined.
  • jameymessina6 June 2017
    Not what I expected
    OK Wonder Woman review time ***Spoilers ahead***

The first half of the movie was sooooo slow I had to literally hold my eyes open to prevent me from falling asleep so im not gonna talk about it. Now correct me if im wrong but this was billed as a "summer action movie" correct? Well when its 2:10 mins and only about 15-20 mins is actual action I have a problem with that. Don't get me wrong when she was all kickin ass and whatnot it was awesome and I dug that part a lot, thats why its saddening to me there was so little. Also on the plus side the chemistry with her and Steve was good ... so of course he dies lol. (sidenote he would have made a good Green Lantern with the chemistry they showed) On the down side, once again a very slow movie till the bunker scene (which was bad ass) and then nothing again till the final fight which again there was no real Villain presence till the last 10 mins and even then she spent half of that time fighting mustache man Ares and not God of war Ares and as we all know for me the villain makes the movie. I give it a 3/10 its not bad like Ghost Rider/Fantastic Four bad its just not what I expected or hoped for at all.
  • julie9 June 2017
    Terrible movie to watch, just a Captain America ripoff.
    Warning! Slight spoiler alert if you are going to watch the movie. Personally, i thought this movie was ridiculous. The entire movie was only tons and tons of filler with nothing interesting except for the three fight scenes, which were all ridiculous. Wonder Woman is to me just a ripoff of Captain America. The whole world war setting, the shield which can deflect bullets and mortar rounds, and how she can just dodge and see bullets coming, was pulled straight from Captain America. As a woman, i am an active feminist and i was glad they finally made a movie where women star in acting and directing roles. However, to me this movie falls just ahead of Catwoman in ratings. Don't waste your time and money with this movie.
  • Tomicha3 June 2017
    Really?!?
    I was SO excited to see this movie and thirty minutes in I was......... BORED! And there was another 110 minutes left! The acting was not great and accents seemed to change every few lines for every character. It seemed like Gal Gadot was constantly posing for a photo shoot instead of acting - I think I caught "Blue Steel" face a few times. Gal is gorgeous but I did not get Amazonia princess from her - could they not have found an actress with muscle? Felicity Jones in Rogue One was more Wonder Woman! Of course the movie had to throw in the bits about being beautiful AND smart - but not too smart because a man had to explain snow and she was not so Amazonian that she didn't like looking drop dead gorgeous for the guys. Nope, no Wonder Woman here - just another Hollywood "preach it" to the public movie only this time the super hero is thin, scantily glad, super duper smartish/childish, and condescending.
  • 1/10
    Awful rubbish
    Saw Wonder Woman yesterday... quite frankly it's actually really bad. Story line all over shop, character development, all over the shop, main Charakter Wonder Woman stumbles through the movie like a naive 16 year old imbecile, she's a goddess for crying out loud, the logic for not telling her who she really is, screwed up and all over the shop. The way she kills Ares in the end, could have been achieved by telling her who she really was from the get go and a full 2hrs earlier, granted, it would have been a short movie but better. I'm not even getting into the feminism part of it.

In Greek mythology Amazons were mainly concerned with war and were rather brutal. To be expected if they were the supposed children of Harmonia and Ares. Yet in the movie they are portrait as peace loving, just, fair, superior beings to all mankind. But also especially superior to men who are essential for procreation and useless otherwise, really?!

It wouldn't have hurt if "Wonder Woman" would have hit the gym before filming commenced. But I guess if your main character believes that love is the ultimate answer to all of mankind problems, there's no need for that either. The rainbows one can vomit, lightning actually in this case, with all that fuzzy love feeling are blinding your opponents into oblivion, which she kinda did... there you go... The women training her in the movie looked fitter and in better shape than Gal Gadot despite being twice her age, at least in the movie. All this seemed like a bad parody of Thor and captain America, without the humour, without a plot, and atrociously bad acting from an otherwise good cast.

So all this really is, a quick money maker with main selling point: "Female Lead"

I am all for women kicking ass, in movies as a well as real life, here however, to me, it's all to artificial and contrived.

For example, in iron man one can believe the change Stark is going through, for one, out of necessity,shrapnel in his chest, for the other he decided to use his wealth for the good because he actually sees what his weapons are causing.

Captain America, he's full of idealistic "Americaness" alright but is cool, most important the character does not come across as naive. WW did not need to be so clueless. As far as the plot goes she's naive because she was sheltered from the world, fine, but yet she had access to literature about how Humans procreate but not about how the world outside her realm operates? And the character seemed to struggle almost seems to resist to accept the reality she finds herself in. Whereas good old captain America, after 70 years of sleep, just keeps kicking ass.

Her character development seems awkwardly written. To me, the biggest disservice to the movie. Overall the movie also felt sadly discombobulated. And then there is the WWI one setting... no one is expecting historic accuracy here, however, to try to glorify or find good in something that was so absolute and inherently not good. More specific to bring in the gas, as was used in WWI on a massive scale for the first time in modern warfare on top WWI having been a downright horror show in recent human history, dunno mate, it's bound to fail in a movie like that.

Marvel also incorporated WWII in Capo America, but didn't even try to bring in the concentration camps for example, it would have opened a can of worms the audience wouldn't have bought and it's not what captain America was about. Also the narrative flow is way better with Marvel I find.
  • Ariel Ardila24 June 2017
    Highly overrated movie
    So I decided to go and see the movie because 8.1 is such a good rate in IMDb. And seriously, what could be better than a hot girl with superpowers killing Nazis. However when I was seeing it I felt that it just was another superhero's movie with nothing to offer more than the same poor structure of the majority of bad superhero's movies: a half naive hero finding her path to kill an evil character that is the responsible of all the bad stuff happening in the world. In the mean time, the hero decides to believe in clichés like "find love" and "everything is about what you believe" and while she win the knowledge of those clichés, by very poor reasoning by the way, she increases her power to kill the evil character. So it was an extremely predictable movie that we all have seen 80 times but with a hot girl in it. Besides, the rules of the game were never clear, for example: at the end of the movie she decides to forgive the life of a German person because it was the right thing to do and she was so just and good, but during all the movie she was killing people, so one never understands where were the line between the good and the bad, the only thing that helps you to understand the line between the good and the evil was that in one side you had giggling English men and in the other side you had enraged Nazis. And on top of that, the characterization of Ares during the movie is just painful, they put it like a demon that believes that humanity is substantially bad and that they should kill each other for that, but Ares is the god of war and it also means understanding honor, courage and the beauty of the fight, which is very far from the Nazi's horrors. If Ares didn't exist, the Wonder Woman couldn't exist either because she is a character built on the vigor of war. I give it a few stars because the build up of the beginning was actually cool and kind of funny.
  • Jason Yu7 June 2017
    Underwhelming, Not Buying into the Hype
    I disagree with the hype. Spoilers WARNING...The script was pedestrian; the pace was scattered (too fast in the beginning, and too slow when putting the team together); the logic was heavily flawed (one night on a small sailboat in the middle of the ocean with no indication of where they were and you're in London the next morning? One person/Diana single- handedly suppresses a whole front line of gunfire with her shield and wrist-cuffs? A German sniper repeatedly missing multiple non-moving and completely exposed targets? Steve's team of mostly non-soldiers barging through a German camp without much resistance? A spy able to just blow up a whole camp by himself in broad daylight on the fly without being discrete?); wasted/under-explored story lines (Dr. Poison under-explored; Steve's friend, who's supposedly a deadly sniper, unable to shoot, huh?); the motivations/rationale for some of the characters' decisions were a stretch, if not unconvincing (Wonder Woman's mom initially not permitting WW to be trained in combat, especially when we found later in the movie that WW is the God Killer? Steve insisting on going after the German general while armistice was being negotiated? Team just decides to continue fighting without further pay after initially clamoring for money while nothing happens in the process that shows they're moved by something other than money?); unexplained parts that the audience is simply expected to accept (power of the wrist cuffs was never explained; Dr. Poison loses her notebook, but all of a sudden, just conveniently finds a scrap of paper that turned on the light bulb for her; Steve's conversation with Dr. Poison at the gala about seeing her experiment didn't make much sense at all). There are more other issues with this film, but there are more than enough listed above already. All in all, I saw way too many flaws in this film to agree with any of the hype.
  • good-decision1 June 2017
    An Unfunny Comedy of Errors
    First of all, I'm a woman and I'm pro gender equality and both men's and women's rights.. and no this is not about armpit hair or female power. I don't think art owes anyone anything. Here's why this movie sucks on its own merits:

1- Out of all the Amazonians in the movie, Gal Gadot looks the weakest and least fight- ready. She could've hit the gym as in her current physique compared to women twice her age in the movie she looks like the one who had to sleep with the coach to make the team. Her having the only Hamstrings that swing like jelly amid a fight scene full of women in their fifties makes you wonder.

2- Choosing the First World War as a background was a horrible idea! I felt I was watching a war movie gone bad. Depressing, ugly, frustrating and sad to watch to the point of distraction. What happened in WWI was too tragic even for a superhero to fix. Terrible juxtaposition insulting the sensibility of any person who read anything of value about that war.

3- The introduction of how brave a child she was, was way too lengthy and culminating into some of the most stupid scenes I've ever watched. All that hogwash about not telling Wonderwoman who she "really" was ends up getting on your nerves.

4- She sees a mortal from earth for the very first time and all the movie has to allude to in their early conversations is his (according to him) "above average" penis??? Come on!

5- She was annoyingly naive! More like wonder sissy not wonder WOMAN. Hissy fits ooh take me to your leader!

6- The God of war, the super evil devil like character she has to fight is an elderly guy completely out of shape and appears to be more like the God of Arthritis. I thought Gods don't age judging by the fact that she doesn't! Only male Gods do? Now that's sexist.

7- I would like to register here my great disdain (eff you Hollywood) for making the villain in the movie someone with a scarred face. So pretty people can't be villains? In fact all the villains are either old, fat or scarred.

8- My second eff you Hollywood moment came when the spy object of wonder "woman"'s (she was a virgin in the movie so please take note) affection decides to save the world by flying away in a plane loaded with all the lethal gas grenades but lo and behold instead of a million sane solutions he decides to commit suicide for the cause making the plane explode in the air with him in it. I thought this is pretty much the same Jihadi principle of heroic suicide!! Bad, bad, bad! Not to mention that such gas would kill people anyway in that nearby village they were banging on about the entire time. I'm not even gonna go over the scientific bullshit this movie is full of and historical inaccuracies, or plain stupidity because boy oh boy that will take all night .. but just one thing because it's really REALLY getting on my nerves... how does a woman stuff a long sword down the back of revealing dress having the blade go all the way down her ass (if that's even possible at all), then a villain wraps his arm around her back to dance without feeling it? Have the idiots who wrote this scene ever held or seen a real sword? Do they know real swords aren't bendy? Wtf?

9- I'm not sure why there was a Red Indian guy in the British barracks helping an English spy. Why Red Indian? Bring in the Chinese community because the actor looks Chinese? Method in the madness or just madness?

10- The fight scenes are lame and boring. Really boring! In one instance they had to speed the frame to make Gadot look like she's doing something and they didn't even bother mask the fact the scene was sped up digitally.

11- If Wonder "woman" kills the god of war making all the German soldiers have an awakening kissing and hugging each other in great relief they just lost (criiiiinnnggggeee moment), how come WWII started only 19 years later? Did they think we will just forget about that one because it's only a movie? Why not choose the background to be WWII so it'll make more sense (if that's even possible for this movie?) ...

12- I felt I was watching an American wrestling WWF show gone really bad... at one point, the men actually give Wonder "woman" a simple leg up for her to fly high in the air to destroy a tower with her bare fist. Which reminds me, my husband needs me to help give his nuclear rocket a piggyback ride into outer space, so I'll talk to you later.
  • namob-436736 June 2017
    Okayish, but moving too fast with bad CGI
    So, okay, this is a better movie then Suicide Squad (duh!) and it is an enormous leap forward from the absolute horrific stupidity of BvS, but is WonderWoman really a good movie? Well, nah, not really. It is decently entertaining and it does have several redeeming traits, but sadly not a very good movie.

Let us start with the bad.

The CGI is horribly bad. It is so obvious and so badly done I keep wondering if this movie was made in the early 1990's. I saw this movie the day after seeing Agents of Shield season finale, and AoS had 10-times better CGI. Did they not get money to do a WW movie?

The story moves way, way too fast, throughout the movie. They jump from this to this and there is no time to breath, catch up with characters or develop any sense of location. It feels like this movie should have been 2 hours longer and I can only assume it was cut down to fit the American public that love fast pace action set pieces. Diana is a kid, swhoosh, Diana is training, swoosh, Germans are evil and let this Jewish woman go kill them for some reason. Then they jump on a boat and faster than The Flash they are in London, and then swoosh they are in the war, then dancing and then off fighting and whopidoda the movie is over. I got the feeling I was fast forwarding 10-15min all the time. Did they cut out 2 hours? Was the script this bad?

The villains were pretty boring and badly flushed out. People keep complaining about Marvel villains, but this was far worse and in a fast pace movie like this you really do need to feel the strength and power and immense danger of the villain(s), but in this movie you do not. Not at all.

I also need to mention that I hate that the "hero" is fighting the poor Germans in WW1, of course the central powers and Germans were the good guys in WW1 (as far as such things goes in a world war…), but the propaganda must go on…

The good? Well, Gal Gadot is good as WW, most of the supporting characters are good as well. Most of the action, if you can ignore the bad CGI, is good. The general story, if ignoring all the plot holes, is compelling and there are a lot of fun and great moments in this movie. There is a good/great movie here somewhere, but it is cut away and hidden under badness.

If you can relax and just enjoy the ride and not let the bad elements mention above take you too much out of the movie this is okayish. I give the movie a 4 out of 10. It is entertaining after all, but not as good as Man of Steel which is still (to me) the best of the DC movies and also, strangely enough, the DC movie with least Christ-imagery…

Are all DC characters supposed to be God? Or Gods? Is that the point? Boring.

Edit: Just saw the movie again last night and having time to focus on the movie and how good/bad it is, I detected a lot of other issues, inconsistencies and weirdo plot holes I missed the first time around. Consequently I will lower my score to a 3 out of 10.
  • bonnenfantf8 June 2017
    Terrible Film
    seriously!? this movie deserves nothing more than 5 out of 10 stars. Terrible film. Acting was horrible. Story made little to no sense at all. Action was mediocre at best.. people need to realize that being politically correct doesn't require you to give this film a good rating.

1) the amount of cuts used was unbearable. When a director uses a lot of cuts, its usually because the scenes are action packed with timeless stunts. The stunts shown should not have required so many cuts.

2) the story was extremely rushed and left with plenty of plot holes. There was no introduction to her powers. just oh Zeus made you perfect. We do not know exactly what powers you have just that you're a god killer. Wonder Woman knows nothing about the political side of the war but automatically assumes with no good reason provided to her that the Germans are the bad guys.... what!? how is it we see her growing up as a child, then all of sudden stop aging. for a 100 years.... (WW1 ended 1918... she was using a tablet. 2017 technology)

3) due to what i believe was a terrible script, the acting was horrendous.
  • MartinHafer4 June 2017
    A review from an older guy who is not a huge fan of superhero films.
    Whether or not you'll love "Wonder Woman" no doubt will depend on the individual. The die-hard superhero film lovers have embraced the picture and it's setting box office records...and these folks really shouldn't read or pay much attention to my review. This is because I am over 50 and got tired of the genre long, long ago. I went to quite a few of the films because my daughters love them and this time was was actually taken to the theater by my wife, as she loves the idea of a female superhero. So, if you fall into my demographics...this review is for you!

The story is pretty different from my concept for "Wonder Woman". This is NOT a complaint...I know a lot of superhero stuff changes. But instead of the WWII setting I expected, the film was set during the final days of WWI. The history teacher in me was intrigued...especially since they actually got the look of the film just right--costumes, airplanes, soldiers, etc.. They also heightened the bleakness of the era by severely restricting the color palate to shades of gray and brown--even the reds looked rather brown. I think this was a good choice...after all, war is horrible.

Overall, there really wasn't much to dislike about the film. It had TONS of CGI and action...and that is what many fans want. As for me, I would have liked a bit less and more focus on story....but that is a very typical complaint for folks like me! However, if you do get pulled into going to see it, it won't bore you and offers a few nice twists.

By the way, if you saw the film as well, were you ALSO horribly disappointed when the lady scientist's mask came off like I was?! I was expecting so much worse.
  • Karl Adrian22 June 2017
    clichéd, under-performed mess.
    How is it that these days a movie like this can be made? I'll tell you why. It's simply another money grab!

The main actor runs around casually lifting her arms up now and then to deflect bullets. First of all, she never even trained for that! She practiced sword-fighting and athletics, and suddenly she can follow bullets using eyesight and deflect them? She's also acting like her mind is miles away. "Do I even look good while doing this?" "What would my friends and family say when they see me in this suit?" "Omg, I'm going to be so famous!" Girl, get your head straight. You're ruining your performance by not being in it!

The fighting scenes are very poorly choreographed, it's almost as bad as Jessica Jones.

Story line is full with holes and one big cliché. Girl discovers her powers, finds a handsome guy, falls in love and follows him while pretending to go out and save the world because it fits the story. Handsome guy dies, fueling her rage so she can kill the bad guy. It's almost like this travesty of a movie rolled out of a factory. There's even a sex scene to top it of, even though Wonder Woman tells the handsome guy that they don't need men to pleasure themselves. Feminists must have loved that scene...

The handsome guy is way to under-explained, so are his buddies. I never cared for them at all. But whatever right? After all, I should be looking at WW. But the sad fact is, I don't care for her either! We see a few scenes with her as a little girl, and a few scenes with her as an adult before she goes out and steals the so called "God Killer" to run of with her new boyfriend.

Now, I don't know anything about WW, but this "God Killer" is supposedly an ancient magical sword to be used against Ares, the bad god. This actually made sense if it wasn't for the fact that it's a dud, and the true "God Killer" is WW herself. Surprise! And her mother obviously knows this, so she doesn't even care to make sure WW actually has the sword before she almost callously waves her only daughter farewell forever. In turn, WW herself doesn't care for her mother enough to reassure her she has the sword which would give her at least a fighting chance against Ares. This complete disregard of the sword, and emotionless farewell ruined the whole movie for me. Everything else simply added to my frustration.

She apparently knows all about the outside world, speaks like 2 dozen languages, knows all about sex without ever having had a real man in her life, but then acts like a little lost girl when she arrives in London. Apparently they forgot to educate her on "modern" society and how to conceal a sword and shield. And while we're at it, they also forgot to educate her about the world war that's been ravaging humankind. I mean, what the hell is that?! How do you protect humankind without knowing what's going on? Without ever having the chance to return home once you leave for battle? This is too stupid to even discuss.

Whatever...
  • pinkarray9 June 2017
    Am I the only one who hated this film?
    My dislike of it could be understandable since I dislike superhero movies for some reason; they just bore me. I'm not the biggest fan of action but I prefer a little action in stories.

This movie starts off with Diana reminiscing about her 5-year-old self. She wants to train in fighting and even recklessly jumped off a ledge.

Later, the movie time-skips to a pre-teen Diana in disbelief about what she's supposed to be doing.

I dislike dramas and not that big on war films so that's three things this movie has that I don't like. The action was too fast for my brain to handle (I don't know what they put in those scenes to make it hard to keep up with) This movie had too much crying and sadness from people in it for me. Even an annoying baby crying voice. The melodrama this movie had made me cringe and get nervous and this is the first film I walked out on. I don't like wasting money on movies but mommy and a therapist told me if a movie starts to make me nervous, I can leave.

This is the worst movie so far that I've seen in 2017 and that's saying a lot since Snatched could be considered the worst from the general public but I don't know Amy Schummer enough, nor do I have a disdain for her to hate it like other people do. But it was also not that good of a movie anyway so I could kind of understand why people don't like it.
  • ginshee-639-2700942 June 2017
    Am I taking crazy pills?
    This movie was average, at best. Really poor acting on Gal Gadots part. The story was very predictable, CGI was poor, and the story was phoned in. I really couldn't care less about any of the characters, and there actions were incredible illogical. I had hope with a twist at the end that it would get better, but once again, it just fell flat.
  • smushsucks13 June 2017
    Impulsive and Stupid Wonder Woman
    I'm not going to get into the generalities of why this movie was terrible, I'm going to be very specific about scenes that left a bad taste.

1. Wonder Woman's aunt sacrifices her life so that WW doesn't get shot from behind early in the movie. Later in the movie the villain tells her she's a god and only a god can kill a god. This renders her aunt's sacrifice an act of suicide because the movie went out of its way to tell the audience that all the Amazon Women knew she was a god.

2. WW's mom, the queen, tells everyone not to do something only to have everyone disobey her. Not just once, but EVERY time she says don't do something, someone does exactly the opposite. I.E. Don't train my daughter to fight, don't let this guy leave the island, don't go with the guy leaving the island.

3. WW essentially causes every innocent death in the movie. She leads a battalion through 'no mans land' and liberates a town. Then everyone in the town is killed by a gas attack that only targeted the town because it was liberated.

4. WW is incredibly impulsive and stupidly clings to mythology rather than listen to many people try to reason with her. Chris Pine repeatedly tells her to wait for him and she does the opposite. Wait outside this door, she goes in. I'm going to sneak into this castle in disguise, she shows up in an evening gown and blows up his plan. He tells her killing one guy won't stop the London gas attack. She runs off and kills that guy only to freak out on Pine because she was wrong.

5. Chris Pine's character commits suicide for no reason. He steals the airplane with the poison gas (which is conveniently flammable gas) and shoots it while he's flying mid-air; sacrificing himself to dispose of the gas. If he only thought to look for a parachute he could have left a grenade in the plane and jumped out. OR he could have asked WW for one second of help; instead he tells her he loves her.

All and all the movie is a cluster F and signals the entire DC Universe is going down in flames under this leadership.
  • WindInTheWillows18 June 2017
    Sitting in a room full of people, watching a blockbuster and feeling utterly bored...
    I am careful these days. I don't generally trust overwhelmingly good reviews and let myself be lured into the cinema by high ratings, but somehow I fell for the high score for Wonder Woman here on IMDb.

Maybe I wanted to be pleasantly surprised. Maybe I thought this could be the exception to the rule. At least, I didn't expect to be utterly disappointed and bored.

Where to begin?

• - - SPOILERS AHEAD - - -

The only thing I liked about this movie was the early action sequence on the beach. I thought the clash between the Amazonians and the WW1 soldiers was well made.

Here are the things I didn't like:

All the clicheés - 1. Not telling Diana who her father is 2. the 'train in secret' clichée 3. the 'average' joke 4. the dressing montage 5. the evil German killing his own men/how cartoonishly evil he was

the scarred, evil scientist that looks for a formula. 6. the unnecessary heightening of the evil guy's strength 7. the 'oh, Wonder Woman is so stunning' by every man in the movie 8. the late predictable reveal of who Ares is etc.

The whole time I was watching, I couldn't help thinking that this movie should have been called 'Steve Trevor' instead. He is the only one with a little character development, motivation and plot.

I hated that Wonder Woman was basically just following him around, deciding in the worst moment to do something foolish and run into a hail of bullets just to later lose what she fought for in that instance, then lose faith in an anticlimactic moment, after seemingly having reached her goal.

For a movie that wants to be progressive, it spent an awful amount of time commenting on how Diana was never dressed for the occasion. First in London, then at the gala in Germany.

And you know what? I felt bored. Really, really bored. No gripping story, main character or action.

The CGI was silly (lasso, bad guy's face, WW in some shots). The deflecting of the bullets was silly. The destruction of the tower and other brickwork was silly. The sword in the dress was silly. The resolution of the movie was silly.

If this review helps to stop only one person from spending money on expensive cinema tickets and popcorn, raises doubt in the mind of only one young writer about the quality of Hollywood scripts, makes only one person wonder if we have really come this far from 1950 sexist comic Wonder Woman becoming the Justice Leauge's honorary member and secretary, then I can call myself lucky.
  • cfriedel2 June 2017
    If you can think intelligently, this movie is not right for you.
    I really do not understand how this movie is being hailed as the "best superhero movie of the year" or the DCEU comeback to Marvel. This movie's script is terrible, especially the ending, which makes absolutely no sense (I will explain in the spoilers portion below.) It also doesn't really do anything to develop the characters. When they do take a minute to say something about someone or add a little character into themselves, POOF! They're gone, not likely to return. I can't really blame the actors and actresses here for anything because they try to work with what they got. Unfortunately, the script does nothing to help them along. That makes the dialog bland and cliché and drags the movie down even more.

Regarding the technical effects, they were OK. The CGI in the fight scenes had some really awkward looking shots, which made them look really manufactured. This is especially true in some of the sliding attacks. I almost wish that they utilized wire-fu/Hong Kong effects a little more in these types of movies as it looks more graceful and less "weird".

Overall, I say skip this one. There are better superhero movies out there and coming soon. Spending your money on this will just make you wish you had your money back afterwards.

--Stop here if you do not want to read SPOILERS-- --Stop here if you do not want to read SPOILERS--

OK, let's get to why the ending sucks so bad. If you understand how anything works, you will instantly disbelieve the decision of Steve Trevor to blow himself up in the plane. It makes absolutely no sense other than to anger Wonder Woman, which was already done with the shell hitting Veld and the flashback Ares shows her. Also, there are many ways that Steve could have resolved the situation without killing himself. First, he is in Belgium, so when the plane takes off, he could simply fly out into the water, drop the bombs into the ocean, then land the plane, either back in Belgium or in England. Second, they could shoot out the tires or the engines on the plane, making it impossible to fly. Third, he could simply radio the Allies from the plane, or tell the other guys to call (they did this earlier) and land in France. Any of these would have worked as he had control of the plane.

The second issue I had is the gas itself. They spout on about how blowing up the plane will effectively make a 50 sq mi. gas cloud, but not a minute or two later, the factory and everything around it is being destroyed. I'm sure there were still a few bombs left in there, yet everyone seemed just fine afterwards. Also, why in the world were guards walking around with gas masks when the gas was inside the bombs already? They drilled it into our heads about how the gas masks wouldn't work against it, yet the guards still decided to put them on? It's just dumb. Add in the fact that mustard gas is a blister agent, with no one in the town showing blisters, as well as the fact that they magically produce tons of this stuff in less than 24 hours for the big bomber and it is stupidly laughable.

What gets me the most about these logic issues are that it's the non-superhero stuff that they messed up on. You had two people (gods) flying and fighting in the air during the climax of this movie and, truth be told, that was more acceptable and believable to the story than a pilot getting into a bomber and blowing himself up. Honestly, skip this one.