User Reviews (41)

• I was amazed that I never knew about this movement, I was in high school/ jr high in the late 80's - early 90's and this should have been a topic with in our US History text. We covered a small portion of the civil rights movement, a large amount with in the 1800's and nothing from the LA walkouts? My children and all children need to know about the strength people have had to make change, it's inspiring. Often people assume that only people hundreds of years ago made the sacrifices and changes, this was not that long ago and shows that people are able to accomplish anything together. I hope our children are as conscientious, caring and strong to stand up for what they believe is making a difference in the quality of the life in the world we share.
  • I was totally unaware of all that had happened with the Chicano movement. I was shocked to find out that Universities kept Chicanos out. Sometimes you take things for granted and think that is the way it has always been. As a Chicana, it made me realize all the sacrifices that have been made on my behalf. For this reason, I think as Chicanos we should strive to be successful and go to college. We should also instill in our children a sense of pride in being Chicano. I think that even today there are Hispanics that are ashamed of their culture and raise their kids not knowing how to speak Spanish when their last name is Martinez. The Hispanic population in the U.S. has grown dramatically and for this reason more than ever we need to have a sense of identity about who we are and be proud of it. I really liked this movie and encourage Latino families to sit down and watch it with their kids.
  • "Walkout" tells the story of the students in Los Angeles high schools in 1968, who stage a boycott of their schools in order to improve the quality of education for Chicanos. The film was skillfully directed by Edward James Olmos, who presents the story in a simple, direct way. There was an especially frank portrayal of the unacceptable educational standards in the schools attended by the young Chicano students.

The focal point of the story is the character Paula Crisostomo, an exceptional student, who risked her graduation to participate in the Lincoln High School walkout. A dedicated high school history teacher, Sal Castro, was instrumental in instilling idealism in his students, which resulted in their united efforts for a peaceful protest.

The film captured the passion of Paula in an emotionally-charged relationship with her parents, who strongly resist, but slowly come to understand, their daughter's activism. The entire cast, especially the young performers playing the students, was convincing as an effective ensemble in this fine film.

"Walkout" is another outstanding HBO project that tackles an important subject and provides an exceptionally high-caliber film. From 1968 to 1969, there was a substantial increase in enrollments of Chicano students in American universities, and this change was due to the consciousness raised by people like Paula Crisostomo and her teacher Sal Castro. In this film, Olmos and a superb cast deliver an important reminder about how a small group of young, passionate individuals have the potential to truly make a difference in their world.
  • First of all, this is the first movie ever about the Chicano civil rights movement. And as many Latinos know, the Chicano civil rights movement created some better opportunity for our people.

The cast is almost entirely Chicano, which is amazing within itself, seeing that Latinos only make up 2% of Hollywood. It gives us a chance to play Characters, and not only the "Brown person".

A piece of history is being told, which has been totally written out of History by the mainstream media & educational institutions. All of the police beating scenes in this movie were re-creations of archived material from TV Stations, which were not allowed to broadcast in 1968.

The protagonist is a young woman who is half Filipina & Mexicana. This is great because revolutionary leaders are usually only seen as tough men. This also shows that oppression crosses all color lines, the issues come down to a class struggle, and this can be a catapult for different ethnicities working together on common issues.

I feel that we should embrace this movie, and create others also, with stories of our peoples struggle. There are several movies about the Jewish struggle, the African American movement for equal rights, women's rights, but this is so far, the only one speaking of the Chicano civil rights struggle.
  • sakman6718 March 2006
    I liked the movie that I just saw. this movie makes me wonder why I did not or have not ever heard about this part of L.A's history. I grow up in L.A county and did not read this story or learn about this story from my school or from any of my friends/neighbors. Thank you for making a movie that it seems everyone else will not. It is called history for a reason. PLease make more of this movies so that I as well as others might be able to understand more about the true history of Los Angelos.I wish that people would fill more comfortable talking about the hardships that people had to go through. please make more movies that show our history.Thank you for the history
  • I am 41 years old. I went to Griffith Jr. high and graduated from Montebello HS in 1982. (I barely graduated, got pregnant and married by age 19, typical story of a non-informed, non-motivated Mexican/American youth). My best friend went to Roosevelt HS and my boyfriend (at the time) went to Garfield HS. I am amazed and outraged that I had never heard of this "walk out" until just last night (3/22/06). I just happened to be scrolling through the movies to watch on HBO. I read the description of the movie and was intrigued. Why was this not in the history books? or even spoken to us as students in the community from our teachers, counselors, mentors, etc? It's just another kick in the #@%! This movie should be shown to all students in Jr. High and High school, especially in heavy Chicano communities. As a matter of fact, I am going to sit through it again with my two nieces (8 & 11 years old) and my 21 year old daughter (she graduated "magna cum laude" from La Salle HS, is now graduating next June from Cal Poly Pomona and will be entering Pepperdine University to accomplish her Masters Degree…how proud is this (divorced) mother! ..a "former" non-informed, non-motivated Mexican/American youth).

Yes, the movie itself wasn't the best, the acting was okay, the SUV in the background (…1968)…..But lets look at the bigger picture. The story. The true story and it's meaning. It is such an important part of our history, so profound and full of inspiration.
  • Having been born in the year 1968, I was very inspired by the movie "Walkout" This movie really touched me. I am a Chicana born and raised in Orange County CA. My parents were also born in the O.C.Even though this protest was in 1968. Some racism still exists today. I hope more people watch this movie.( I noticed it is "ON DEMAND" on HBO)Edward James Olmos has my uttermost admiration and respect for taking the time,research,energy and dedication to make this movie. When I watched the movie "Walkout", When they cheered, I cheered. When they clapped,I clapped. When they cried, I cried. When Chicanos won that day, We ALL won!!! Viva La Raza!! Karen in Santa Ana CA.
  • I was very moved by this film, it was well done, the music fit, the cast was perfect, the story was quite easy to follow, and my kids ages, 11, 7, and 6 have watched this movie at least 7 or 8 times. Each time they watch it we have a discussion. They understand that what happened in 1968 was a life changing experience for Chicanos everywhere. They stood up for their rights in a positive, honest, peaceful way, and for legitimate reasons. They understand with the walkouts that are happening in today's society are more for getting out of school and not for rights at school. My 11-year-old daughter asks why the kids at school are using this movie and saying that it has inspired them to walkout when the issues are completely different. And when kids are asked why they are walking out they really don't know. Back in 1968 all the kids new why they were walking out and were educating themselves. My 6 and 7 year old both have said that they hope that the walkouts happening now don't get kids hurt like in the movie.

I appreciate HBO showing Chicano history and hope that there are more movies to inspire and educate myself and my children of our chicano heritage. Thank you Moctezuma Esparza, and all the people involved in this movie. THANK YOU and my God Bless you.
  • As I write this, students in France are opposing a terrible government initiative to rob them of their equal rights to employment. In my current elderly comfort, I occasionally forget that government and officials of all stripes can easily fall into the role of oppressor. The Chicano of East L.A. in the late sixties woke up from their sad lethargy. This film portrays the reason and the calm that they displayed in recognizing the unfairness of the masters of education, the evil abuse of authority by the police, the beaten down acceptance by some in the older generation.

This film will serve as an example of the level of civic responsibility that we are sometimes called on to display. Bravo.
  • gahbay23 March 2006
    i loved this movie it gave me real inspiration and hope for our future as indigenous people of this land.. remember there was no border before.. i am Native American but we are the same in my eyes... we share a lot of the same struggles and also strengths.. much love and respect for the activists and actors acting there parts... especially Efren Ramirez, Micheal Pena, and Alexa Vega. i loved the part when her dad was telling her that the reason that people don't want to fight chicanos is because they don't give up.. that was so cool.. i am not afraid to stick up for what i believe.. and i believe the same bout native people.. we never give up... AIM (American Indian Movement) look at their success.. peace i'm out
  • deathix4 December 2007
    We watched this in my US History class. It was perfect for the time frame of which we are learning - The civil rights movement.

It's a great story about Mexican Americans willing to stand up for what they believe is right. At the time the movie was taken place, people of different colors than white were not treated equally. They couldn't even speak Spanish in their classes, else face punishment.

This also really showed how some adult Mexican Americans felt about the situation. They were very uneasy about it because they were afraid for their children.

I think this is a great movie that all should watch. Learn a bit about our history without the history books!
  • This movie is right. When something isn't right we need to protest. We have every right to protest. Just because some policeman don't like it doesn't mean we should stay quiet and get tortured/beaten/raped. I think a Walkout is the best way. Alexa Vega thank you for staring in such a good film. You have brought a vision back to America. Anytime we believe something is immoral, or wrong we should stand up and protest. I give this movie a 10/10. It made me think that we don't just fight, We fight for a cause. An inspiring film. I believe this film should get a Grammy Award and a Nobel Piece Prize. The best film I ever saw. It wasn't about cowboys shooting, not about Cops and robbers, It's about Our rights and how we should be treated. We should be treated with love not hate.
  • I was really impressed with the movie.. It gave me so much knowledge and information about my chicano ancestors that was very inspirational. I was born in 76 and i noticed some things have changed in the school system but not everything.. there is always room for improvement in the schools... I was very moved and inspired by the movie.. I cheered and cried when they cried and cheered.. I am glad they were brave and strong enough for all latinos to take a stand. I am very proud of my Asian, Anglo and Black friends and family for taking a stand with us when we needed them the most.. They are some of the best people then and now... I appreciated the knowledge of the horrible police brutality to our teens.. How funny how that was not the case a couple months ago here in los angeles with the L.A county High schools.. Boy, how times have changed..
  • I saw this film at a screening in Washington, DC a few days before it aired on HBO. This film is just a stunning piece of historical re-enactment. It tells the story of the student walkouts in Los Angeles in 1968. It is a chapter in the history for equal education and civil rights that deserves to be better known. Fortunately Walkout does a great job of telling this true and heartfelt story about young people standing up for their dignity and for their future. The cast is quite good and believable. I felt moved to experience what life was like in the late 1960s for Latinos. I know this is try because I heard the stories from my older brother and peers. They lived through many of these indignities and it was great to have Walkout tell the story to many who don't know it. See this movie if you want to know how we have come to be a bit more equal and to see the power of people standing for what is right...Justice.
    This excellent entertaining movie is important. It shows that people who seem powerless can succeed IF they are working for justice. Unity and organization with a PLAN to improve their schools in a non violent way may sound theoretical. "Walk Out" showed the real humans behind it. Their relationships with each other, parents, teachers, and the community are made real to anyone who has attended school.

The police brutality of 1968 was dramatized so realistically. Misleading news reports played into the generation gap we felt then.

It LOOKED like 1968. From the clothing, hair styles, automobiles, and especially the teachers wearing short sleeve white shirts with a tie. Kudos to costuming!

This needs to be seen in theaters and sold as a DVD.
  • understanding_grace20 March 2006
    Walkout
    It doesn't matter who played what in this movie. What's important is the message for equal treatment of all race. Did you know that because of what these people did back then allowed Spanish to be one of the requirements to graduate from high school and college? Did you know that the Spanish language is the second highest language spoken in our schools today? This movies isn't about the pretty or handsome actresses who played these parts. It's getting the message that we will not stand for unequal treatment no matter who we are.

I really enjoy the movie and it touched my heart because it made me be proud to be a Mexican American even though I'm half. =)
  • rondine5 February 2007
    I have originally written a review of this back when the movie first aired (acutally before that because I saw a pre-screening at ASU) but removed my review because of a group of vociferous, petty people that were bashing the movie and were being actually hostile to me via personal messages. To hell with them. Here is my original review in its entirety: The movie Walkout revolves around the 1968 Walkout by Chicano students in Los Angeles protesting unequal treatment in the schools. I believe 5 schools were involved (Garfield was one of them & I'm willing to bet that it's the same Garfield High in L.A. that was featured in the movie Stand & Deliver w/EJO.) The students were subjected to corporeal punishment for speaking Spanish in class, they were forced to urinate outside during lunch hour because the schools would lock the bathroom doors, and they would be made to do janitorial work as punishment (but the white students were not.) After making "surveys" to find out the students' wishes, they attempted to have Dr. Nava (played by Edward James Olmos who also directed the film) a school board member present this to the board for implementation. After being stalled the students who were also in cooperating with the "Brown Panthers" (a militant group similar to the Black Panthers) to organize the change as well as a teacher Sal Castro from the school at Lincoln decided to do a Walkout of all 5 schools the following Wednesday. This delay was important because it enabled them to organize & "inspire" by getting the media to be there. As they mentioned more than once in the movie, if it isn't written down in history, it's like it never happened.

They walked out on the following Wednesday. It was basically a fairly peaceful protest. They decided not to back down & walkout again. But this time only a few of the schools walked out. Unfortunately, the police were there & were merciless in their treatment of the students. The "news" coverage didn't include the beatings and arrests the students received. Downtrodden & feeling as if they didn't accomplish much, the students had a decision to make. They decided to walkout again- this time they invited family and friends. This sent a message to the school board that this would not just "go away" and with the support of their families, they were able to get the school board to listen. But this wasn't the end. The police then began to arrest the "L.A. 13" which were the organizers & the "Brown Panthers" that helped by supporting the students. These people were faced with "conspiracy to commit a misdemeanor" which is a felony & they were looking at 66 years+ in prison. They were finally acquitted a year later.

One of the best parts of this advance screening was getting to meet Moctesuma Esparza who was an actual participant in the walkouts, one of the "L.A. 13" and the producer of the film. A long time activist, he has also produced such other movies as Selena, Gettysburg, Introducing Dorothy Danderidge, Milagro Beanfield War and Villa Alegre- a children's TV show from 1973 that I remember watching & learning Spanish from! (how about that 6 degrees of separation, eh? Even more bizarre is years ago I got Jaime A. Escalante's autograph- I presented it to Edward James Olmos the inspirational teacher, Mr. Escalante in the movie, Stand and Deliver and he signed the back of it! Cool, huh?! Also, Mr. Olmos' son, Bodie played the part of Mr. Esparza in the movie!) Mr. Olmos was also a VERY inspirational speaker. He mentioned that America does not have one person of color (apart from Martin Luther King, Jr.) that is a real national hero. One must wonder, how long? To meet someone who was a part of history, a part of helping to bring equal rights to people is very special. Mr. Esparza and Mr. Olmos helped to make everyone that was there believe that they too could make a difference. It was a movie that touched me on many levels- not the least of which was the girl's relationship with her father. He didn't understand why she was participating in demonstrations and being an "agitator." But he finally came around & actually encouraged her not to give up in her darkest moment.

This was an excellent movie, entertaining, informative and relevant. The actual footage of the students being beaten and arrested was not shown until 1995! Almost 30 years after their struggle! I wonder today how often the news shows us only what they want us to see. The struggle for equal rights is NEVER over and I am sure this movie will help to inspire many people. I will definitely tape it on March 18th & buy the DVD! Hopefully the DVD will have lots of extra features. They said it is a possibility that the movie may make it to the theaters. I pray that the Latino/Chicano community will turn out in droves to see this- the support of both the Latino/Chicano community as well as people like myself that support human rights is vital to more movies like this one being made. Knowing our history- OURS as in American history that includes all races and their contributions is what energizes and keeps our way of life vibrant. Getting the message out there is more than half the battle. As someone once told me, "knowledge is power." ¡Viva la Raza! :)
  • msblue200525 September 2006
    These kids not even old enough to VOTE: With Determination-Organization-UNITY were able to make some changes for themselves and future generations. We can learn from that, their parents learned from them. To many people feel what can I do..its best not to make waves...just shut up and do your job. Its really not when there is injustice, prejudice and racism involved.

Movies like this: Empower people to Unite, Organize and have a Voice!!! Under any circumstances or oppressed situation. The timing of its release was right on target-with the Marches, boycotts and Demonstrations going on in this Country at the time in protest Racism!

I recommend parents watch this Movie with their kids. Well made, good acting and a part of History.
  • tfjtlopes20 July 2006
    One of the best movies I have seen in a long time. Would love to own a copy of the movie. It is a movie I could watch over and over again. The message is strong and could teach people a lot. I think it would be good to be shown in school, especially to teach a more accurate history. With all the things going on with immigration today, it would be really good timing. As soon as I can find a copy of the movie, I plan on having my children watch it and even write a commentary about what they think. The stars in the movie were awesome. I learned so much history that I had never known before. I would like to thank the people who put the movie together in order to help educate the people more.
  • Base on what I'm reading about your article. I am a Latina born

and was raised in East Los Angeles CA .I also have some native American-Navajo and I'm very proud of my bloods and my people.I attended.Garfield high school, and I am very proud of where i came from and let me further say how many famous people attended East l.a. schools

many famous actors ,sport alumni Edward j. Olmos,Oscar Delahoya Mike Garret Rosie Grier,Anthony Quinn, Antonio Veragosa,Los Lobos and many more.Edward J.Olmos was a neighbor of mine.Hes a man with great pride, respect for his work and his people. we are proud Chicanos And to answer your question about restrooms being close during lunch? YES they were my uncles and my cousin attended both Roosevelt high and Garfield high and restrooms were locked during lunch. At Belevedere Jr. high the boys were swatted with a belt if there shirts were not tucked in by the dean Mr.Subriskey,Mrs Flores the dean of girls was a very mean woman.Girls were not allowed to wear pants in the 60's, this woman would come into the classes daily to measure the girls skirts with a yard stick from the knee. And if they were above the knee even an inch, you were hit with that yard stick. These were real events which also started the east L.A. riots. You brag about the Asian's being high achievers ?Let me say native American Indian's do not like to be classified with Asian's at all.Virgil high school was not in East Los Angeles Ca. This movie is based on our community schools.Hispanics have dreams of moving forward,United We Stand support our troops.
  • senorjuez17 April 2006
    I like films which depict real-life events, and this was among the better ones because it didn't hold back. The film is told from the viewpoint of a Latina high-school student, Paula, in a predominantly-Mexican part of Los Angeles in 1968. She falls in with a radical group known as the Brown Berets, headed by an anti-establishment teacher, who are dedicated to fighting for equal treatment in the schools where Latino students were subjected to spankings, assigned janitor duty for minor offenses such as being late to class, denied restroom access and not being allowed to express cultural pride, i.e. speak Spanish. It seemed like to schools tried to sweep them under the rug, but this group was smart enough to know that the schools needed them to maintain economic funding, so they decide to protest by coming to school one day, then leaving as soon as class begins. The police became involved, and it showed that these students were indeed second-class citizens. I wasn't alive yet when this actually occurred, but I have no doubt that the police brutality was as real as depicted. I wonder if Edward James Olmos was among those involved or if he knows those who were. It was a good idea to make this a cable project instead of a feature film because they often distort details of actual events to make them more marketable. I also give props to a portrayal of Latinos which shows them as intelligent rather than focusing on negative stereotypes.
  • ...meaning her father is Filipino and her mother is a Chicana? Or is she full-blooded Filipina, because the real Paula looked totally Malay to me?

BTW...There are Filipinos of Mexican(Indios and Meztisos)ancestry so having a Latino looking Filipino father is not so far off...how you say? Nueva Espana(Mexico) governed the Philippines for over 300 years with most of the colonizers from Mexico. Philippines culture has a distinctly Mexican flavor...The Virgen De Guadalupe is the Philippine's Patron Saint... Filipino language is peppered with Nahuatl words...customs and traditions are Mexican/Spanish in origin (Dia De Los Muertos, e.g.)

I give the actor credit with the somewhat Filipino accent ("I'm prum the Peeleepeens")

I enjoyed the movie, even though it was kinda fluffy. It should have been more gritty and blood-spattered(come on, they were hit with batons on the head!)

Over all, it was a stirring movie that made me want to go out protest something!
  • mcandrc0018 March 2006
    Walkout
    I really loved and appreciated the message this film depicted. It was an honor to be able to watch "Walkout." My mother grew up in the time of the Chicano movements. This film put me back to the life and time my mother was forced to live. The locked bathrooms. The commanding restraint of speaking Spanish. And most of all, the humility of not being treated as an equal. It made me realize that as a biracial Chicana, it is never to late for anything I want to achieve in my lifetime. Whether it is making myself go to the gym to loose those extra pounds. Or going back to college to get my Masters. On behalf of the proud biracial Chicano man my son will be, it will never be to late for him as well. And that is what I will raise him to believe. This film was nothing but positively moving. People who look and worry about the scenery and whether or not a race of a character matches the real thing, overlook what is really important. The Chincanos imitated in this film, fought for what they thought was right and fair. Some people are still doing so today. I thank the students and people that fought for equal rights. Because of the activists, I can go to whatever school I choose. I can use a bathroom that everyone is free to use. The bathroom does not have to be designated for "colored people". I am able to be who I am today, because of the activists of yesterday. They fought for equal rights for everyone. I am able to express my opinion on "Walkout", because of the same activists and people who stood by them. My parents were able to bring my siblings and myself up to believe that we can be whatever it is that we want to be. Without limitations or having to believe that if we try to be a successful person, we will be rejected because who we are. Thank you for this belief and life motivating film. When my son is able to understand this film, I am positive he will be thankful as well. Being a biracial Chicana is worthy. And my horizons can go far beyond the sun. If I allow them to. Thanks again. R
  • History has a funny way of always surface when needed. If this movie is your only reference of the events that depicts...well you need to hit the books! I've seen "After SChool" specials with more concern for story telling than this movie. Too much time and effort is spent in the art direction and the story suffers. The script is forced, the delivery light and none of the characters seem committed to make anything credible as if their ethnicity was enough to sell the drama. It's a waste of the big publicity machine of HBO, dedicated to this film, may be it looks good on their resume, but they backed the wrong Latino flick.
  • Just saw the replay this past Sunday AM. This was not EJO's best, and may rank as one of his worsts. The script was sub standard. Predictable dialogue. Cinematography was good, but I thought the production design infused way too much color. Should have emphasized the brown a bit more, if you know what I mean. I did like Yancey's Filipino accent. I can't believe it took 3-4 writers to get the script film ready. That's usually one sign of problems.

Many reviewers and posters rank the significance of the Walkouts and its depiction by this HBO film as more important than the cinematic execution of the story and the characters. I feel such thinking is limited. I also wonder had this Chicnao activism never taken place, had there been no Walkouts... I wonder if reviewers would really see the cinematic weaknesses of this film. I think HBO should have made a documentary.