I was actually very surprised at how great a TV Series this was! My friend was really into it when it was broadcasting on TV in Mandarin. Since I can't understand Mandarin, I didn't bother watching the series. But since it came out on VCD with the optional Cantonese version, it's been absolutely awesome! Great story... has all the ups and downs.. the comedy, the love, the touching story, etc.. Gotta watch it! This is one of the best series I've seen in about a decade. This will no doubt become a classic. Everybody did a great job. Zhao Wei show her powerful in Huan Zhu Ge Ge.The series is re-released in China every year.And still got a high view rating
  • blackdragonwingz24 March 2010
    I saw this about 10 years ago and I still love it! Quite a long series, but you go through just about every emotion while watching this. There are 4 main characters, and the series itself is family friendly for the most part. The plot is pretty solid, with plenty of twists and turns in each of its episodes.

One of the 4 Dan Actresses is in this film- "Vicky" Zhao Wei (the other more famous one is Zhang Ziyi of House of FLying Daggers fame), and this is the series that boosted her to that position.

This is definitely worth watching, and took China by a storm. Households everywhere have watched this and loved it.

(The series was so popular that it garnered Huan Zhu Ge Ge II and III, but it loses a few of the original actors and the plot becomes more and more filler-like, so don't bother too much)
  • OMG...Huan Zhu Ge Ge is like the best Chinese movie ever!!! I think HZGG I and HZGG II are the best. I don't like how the changed the people in HZGG III. The soundtrack is very awesome too!!! You really should see it or borrow from a friend if you understand Chinese! Vicki does a very good job and she and Alex are very cute together. Ruby did an okay job and so did Zhou Jie. You really really need to see this before you see anything else because the characters are so cool and the storyline is awesome! The songs from the movie and really good and fun to sing along to. You guys better watch Huan Zhu Ge Ge because it is like the awesomest movie ever!!
  • A movie filled with romance, comedy, family entertainment, and also many touching scenes, Huan Zhu Ge Ge is definitely Qiong Yao's best work ever! I can't help but watch it over and over again. This story tells about a young girl named Xia Zi Wei who travels from Ji Nan To Beijing accompanied by her maid Jin Suo, to find her father after her mother died. Her mother leaves her a painting and a fan for Zi Wei to prove that she is the Emperor's daughter. In Beijing, Zi Wei seeks for help from a minister to meet the Emperor and meets Little Swallow, an orphan girl. Little Swallow agrees to help Zi Wei and they soon become sworn sisters. Little Swallow told Zi Wei that the emperor was going hunting on a mountain. After Zi Wei tries to climb the mountain and hurts herself, she begs Little Swallow to climb the mountain and tell the Empreror her story. Little Swallow climbs the mountain and soon gets shot by an arrow by mistake. When the Empreror sees Little Swallow's fan and painting, he convinces himself that Little Swallow was his long lost daughter.
  • The heroine "little swallow" is a character that has never been seen before in Chinese ancient costume drama in the 1990s. Although she didn't know Chinese characters, she was smart and had good qualities. There are not only sister friendship, but also sincere love in huanzhu gege. At the same time, it is mixed with comic plot. It is quite understandable that this TV series has been popular in the mainland, Taiwan and other places as well as overseas in the 1990s.
  • It tells an interesting story of Emperor Qianlong's illegitimate daughter entering the palace to recognize her father. At that time, the story was refreshing, the characters had their own characteristics, and the love story was very moving