30 December 2005 | gridoon
Torrie vs. Melina - Bra and Panties....and 7 other bonus matches!
While there is nothing really disgraceful in this PPV (apart from the Eddie-Rey storyline), there is also nothing really worth going out of your way to see.
1) MNM vs. Animal and Heidenreich (for the tag team title). An old-fashioned (if that makes sense) match, with lots of big power moves. Nothing really special, apart perhaps from Animal's dedication of the win to his late partner Hawk. **
2) Christian vs. Booker T. Average wrestler vs. average wrestler = average match. By the way, Sharmell is beautiful. **
3) Orlando Jordan vs. Chris Benoit (for the US title). I liked Benoit's matches with HHH better, he was allowed to use more technique there. Here, Jordan has the upper hand most of the time and when Benoit attacks it's mostly with "chops". **
4) The Undertaker vs. Muhammad Hassan. Hassan is a total bore on the mic (just compare his promos with those of JBL). Someone in the WWE probably figured that this match was going to be a total bore as well, so they turned it into a kind of 6-on-1 handicap match, with five masked fellows trying to help Hassan. Guess what - the match is still a bore! And it goes on and on and on and on....*
5) The Mexicools vs. Blue World Order. A very enjoyable 5-minute mess. We need more matches like this to remind us that wrestling can be fun. **1/2
6) Rey Mysterio vs. Eddie Guerrero (RIP). The storyline behind this match sucks hard, and now that Eddie is dead it's even more uncomfortable to watch. Comments (by Michael Cole and Tazz) that he's a "despicable pig" and that "manipulation is his new drug addiction" don't help matters. It's hard to imagine Eddie and Rey ever being in a worse match than this one - if you take it seriously, it's unwatchable. **
7) Melina vs. Torrie Wilson. Bra and Panties match, with Candice as the special guest referee. Very short match, maybe under 5 minutes. Both women are game, but it's a little hard to concentrate on the wrestling when you have to strip down your opponent. A regular match between these two might have been a better idea. It's not like the divas are overdressed in the regular matches anyway. **
8) JBL vs. Batista (for the world heavyweight title). A very sluggish brawl. If it weren't for a sleeper applied by JBL halfway through, you'd hardly know this was supposed to be a wrestling match. The ending is not very satisfying for a title match either. **