User Reviews (116)

• After watching every episode of "The Closer" up to the current one (final episode Sept. 2007), I feel it's time for me to commend every aspect of this series about an elite homicide squad.

Deputy Chief Brenda Johnson (Kyra Segdewick) is consistently one of the most engaging television series characters I've seen in a very long time. She's the star but certainly not alone in delivering quite engaging, excellent characterization, and entertaining performances.

This series goes to show that today's television doesn't have to depict violence, gore, profanity, or much that older children couldn't watch. Yet, for an adult who likes Cronenberg's and Lynch's films, this clean cut show is quite interesting without being too 'vanilla'.

Sedgewick has really come into her character by this third season and I like it far better than "24" which has now become monotonously predictable. There's no guessing what Deputy Chief Johnson will do to protect and close one of her cases!
  • Tactrix29 September 2010
    This series looks like a plain ol' cop drama from the outside but that couldn't be any further from the truth. Deputy Chief Brenda Lee Johnson is the head of a elite detective unit that solves homicides, now here are a few things you should probably know. First this chief has been trained how to interrogate by the C.I.A, secondly her entire squad is made up of detectives(that's right no rookies here), and of course her Husband is an F.B.I. Agent. Still need more? The way that this woman gets the job done is both masterful and incredible, on top of which she controls an entire unit full of men like a school teacher does in a classroom.

This show is a must see, one of the few drama's where the female lead isn't a model and yet the plot is so good that it makes absolutely no difference at all. 10/10 for originality, solid acting, fantastic plot lines.
  • The crime aspect of this show is pretty good, but not extraordinary. This should NOT be the reason to watch the show. If you're looking for that, look somewhere else.

Watch the show for the charming character portrayed by Kyra Sedgewick, who looks like she's in over her head and a mess, but never really is. You won't like her much at first, then she'll start to grow on you and you can't wait for the next episodes. Watch it for the old Lt. Provenza, who you probably wouldn't mind punching in the face ... then episodes later, he's one of your favorite characters on the show. The characters is what makes this show good, and the crimes only further bring out their own .. uh .. character. The script dialog is also very witty. And the acting is very, very good.

If that's what you're looking for, then great. If you're looking for CSI, watch CSI. :)
  • I am loving this series and it is the only show on TV right now that I really hate to miss. Brenda Lee Johnson is such a refreshing character. She has some slight skeletons in her closet, but has moved on to her new job and is getting it done with intense efforts, despite some members of her team being less than welcoming. Her love interest is hot and I certainly hope this continues and heats up during this second season. Fritz, I hope, will have a stronger part in this season and their relationship will heat up. He is very caring and thoughtful and hopefully Brenda will appreciate him and not mess this up. I would love to see their relationship be portrayed as healthy and happy--not like all the other junk on TV. I bought the First Season DVD set and haven't gotten tired of watching them. All of the plots have been suspenseful and interesting--the twists are super. Good writing--hope it lasts.
  • And as a professional woman, why was I surprised by the nasty comments about the lead character? One poster missed the point entirely when he wrote that all of the detectives working for her submitted their resignations after the first meeting because she was a real bitch. They submitted their requests for transfer BEFORE EVEN MEETING HER. Under the circumstances, her behavior was pretty restrained. How I wish I could think up some of the responses she comes up with -- and had the guts to utter them!

And what's with the comments on her clothing? If Sipowicz had shown up, would you have questioned his credibility as a leader because he doesn't look like he walked off the pages of GQ? Few men in my workplace look like they spend a lot of time thinking about their wardrobe (to their credit, imo); why do you hold women to such a ridiculous standard?

I love the junk food theme. When was the last time you saw a fresh green salad in a police department? Oh to be starving and to see only donuts (forbidden food) lying around!

She's human -- a little bedraggled sometimes, a little neurotic about what she eats, not a paragon of organization... why can't you find that likable? If she were the stereotypical cold blue-suited automaton you seem to expect, you'd hate her even more, wouldn't you?

Wait... maybe all you hostile posters are just constructing an elaborate parody of how some men treat professional women. My bad; you're brilliant!
  • An outstanding drama that dances on the edge of being a formula cop show and a soap opera. Brenda Lee Johnson is an outstanding interrogator with a background of being difficult to work with but achieving great results. However, her personal life is a mess. She is hired from Atlanta to head LAPD's Priority Crimes Unit for those high profile crimes that need a resolution and need it quickly. Tensions arise immediately. Her brusque style makes her own people want to transfer away, her boss is a former lover who dumped her and she manages to make many more enemies than friends. The crimes are formula enough that you can probably figure out whodunit before you get to the climax but it's the characters and relationships that sell the show and make it worth watching. Not only is Kyra Sedgwick giving the performance of her life in this series but she has a terrific supporting cast that gives the series heart. The ability of the writers to also give us some great comic lines keeps the show teetering at times from comedy to drama. The first season is already out on DVD. Watch it from the first episode to the last, in order, and you can see why this show has become the most watched show in basic cable history.
  • Sure, this could fall into the category with the other Law and Orders and CSI's but something about this show really stands out probably because its aired on TNT and you'd expect there to be some cheesy movie of the week quality about it. Like Law and Order the show puts more focus on the cases themselves rather than the personal lives of the characters, but The Closer opens the door a little more. Kyra is really what draws in people to this show, it's something about her character's charm despite the fact the character is from the often ridiculed south. The writers were also keen to make Brenda Johnson a real person, not some super-hero who always wins and always knows the every move of the bad guy; sometimes Brenda makes mistakes and pays for them and sometimes she is insecure about her looks or being freshly relocated to the big city of Los Angelos. The show just started this summer and I wish it the best of luck, I hope it can become as acclaimed as all the other crime dramas we've got on the airwaves today
  • The Closer is a show which has a fairly realistic portrayal of a working environment; there are relationship dynamics which have evolved over the several seasons and which explore the inter-personal connections made between co-workers as they solve cases. From the beginning episodes where Brenda's staff worked against her, sometimes with the expressed desire for her to fail, to the latest season where they appear to be firmly on her "side" there is an interesting dynamic in showing an intelligent and capable woman as authority-figure and the gradual and sometimes reluctant acceptance of her as the officers she works with see for themselves what she is bringing to the dept.

The show brings a lot of elements of the classic mysteries, and uses clever reveals and intelligence as well as past personal experiences and leaps of intuition in solving crimes. The actors who make up the main cast are all very talented and the writing allows us glimpses into the entire cast, though the show is clearly focused on Brenda. Each episode also allows the viewer to see some of the personal drama without being heavy-handed or too soap-opera, keeping a good balance between the police investigation and the people who are doing the investigation.

I have to laugh at the critics here who criticize that the show points to the killers.

The concept of the Closer to me is not that she solves the case but how she uses different interrogation techniques to get the killers to confess. In the first episode, she uses the woman's homophobia to get her to admit that she knew the person had a sex change operation. It prevents a heat of passion defense and establishes premeditation.

The car jacking episode with the autistic boy she is able to use the fact that federal and state are considered separate sovereigns. Thus she could promise immunity on state charges knowing the car jacking made it a federal case and the guilty confessor would not get away scott free.

With the Abu Ghraib scandal and this belief that you have to torture people to get information, the Closer ironically shows that good and effective interrogation does not have to involve physical abuse.

TNT is not my favorite network but for once they did something right. I may forgive them someday for ruining the NBC Pretender series with their made for TV movie continuation that was god awful. This is the only series I can remember TNT doing that I like. They even screwed up Witchblade.

Postscript The Closer will be back judging by the ratings listed in the LA Times. The Closer is averaging 5.3 million viewers which is a hit on basic cable.
  • danadavis6786721 September 2005
    I didn't see the first episode of this series, but from the first time I watched it I could tell it would be one of my favorite shows. And I wasn't disappointed. There are so many things I love about this show, but most of all it is hilarious to watch the characters interact with each other. Kyra Sedgwick excellently portrays a tough woman who won't let people walk all over her. People complain that Brenda is a b****, but maybe that's the point. What fun would it be to watch a show with nothing but sweetness and joy between the main characters, no conflict whatsoever? The tension she endures and often causes just makes the show all the more entertaining.

What is most irritating, however, is to hear people complain about how the perpetrators in each show is obvious. Anybody who had listened what TNT had been saying about the show before it premiered would know that they said from the beginning that this show would be unlike other crime dramas in that the crime would not be the main focus. This show is ABOUT Brenda Johnson.

So, in conclusion, this is an excellent, intelligent, amusing show, and I am sad to see the season end.
  • morganshs9925 August 2009
    A recent episode called "Maternal Instincts" was such a tear-jerker. Brenda really showed her true colors - a caring and compassionate person. Maybe the writers wanted to show how she has grown over the years from a rather self-centered person to someone who could actually be a mother. It was a brilliant piece of acting and writing for the entire cast.

I live in Atlanta and was born here. Brenda's southern accent is rather thick for Atlanta, but just right for some areas outside the Atlanta metro area, perhaps middle or south Georgia. In any case, her accent is so good that when I first saw the show, I remember thinking "I didn't know Kyra Sedgwick was southern!". Guess the joke's on me - she's from NYC.

This isn't the kind of show you can just have on in the background. You really need to focus on it and appreciate it like a fine glass of wine.
  • Dear TNT, I absolutely love Kyra Sedgwick. This part was made for her. I actually find myself laughing every time she ends her sentence with that little sarcastic "Thank You, thank ya-ll very much". She's adorable. It was great to see G.W Bailey cast as one of the cops. He is a terrific actor and is never given enough credit. He is very amusing as this character. I plan my Monday nights around THE CLOSER. I had recently seen an advertisement indicating that the series is only for the summer!!! Why would any network reel in an audience only to cut them off in September. This is a HIT series !!!!. Why is TNT not going forward with this fabulous show. And, most importantly, what am I going to do on Monday nights if this show ends.!!!! Please have someone re-consider keeping this show on the air. There are those of us out there who are educated and appreciate good TV: CSI, NYPD, Law and Order and THE CLOSER!!! We are sick of these mindless reality series, only made for idiots. Sincerely, Chris Lindsay R.N.C. in Poughkeepsie, NY
  • I am not a regular TV watcher, but when I saw 3 back-to-back episodes of The Closer while on vacation in Hawaii, I was utterly hooked!

There are not enough superlatives in the English language to convey how awesome Kyra Sedgwick is in this role. The writing is superb and I'm almost salivating as I eagerly await the DVD set of the second season. I thoroughly enjoyed the 4-disc DVD set of the entire first season and will usurp sole possession of TV remote on June 12, 2007 so that my hubby won't be able to interrupt my sweet fix of watching my new favorite TV star in this season's debut episode.

Here's to Kyra Sedgwick's Emmy for her stellar, spellbinding, hilarious, adorable portrayal of TV's newest heroine, Brenda Lee Johnson.
  • The Closer is one of the best new shows on television today. Kyra Sedgwick does an outstanding job. She shows that women can handle themselves in the law enforcement industry. She has a tough time fitting in with the male members of her team because she is so much brighter and more insightful then they are. I also feel they are rather intimidated by her actions. She is able to get more information from the law breakers then the men can. I believe she makes the show what it is. She is an amazing actress. I am also a fan of all the Law and Order shows. I feel this one is up to the same standards as those as are the CSI shows. I think this show should continue and will rank close with the other law and order shows. Give this show a chance and it will surprise you. I am glad the network took the chance with this new show because it shows that they looked beyond the negativity that some viewers might have with shows like this one.

I find it interesting, however, that most of the people I know who do not like the show are male and love similar stories where a male in the central authority and does the exact same things that Brenda does to close a case. For someone who likes police drama, with realistic characters who are not always perfect, this is an excellent show to watch. The episodes are well paced, the story lines through the seasons are detailed and have a lot of personal touches for the characters, and it is nice to see a show where a woman can be represented as a whole person with many layers, instead of as a two-dimensional stereotype.
  • TNT has found a real winner in the cable TV series world with this series which continues to do well now three seasons in. "The Closer" is full of drama, love, passion, intrigue, humor, and seriousness. Kyra Sedgwick is great as Brenda Johnoson a real true southern belle from Atlanta, GA with both charm, wit, grace, and intelligence who starts a new life in Los Angeles as a chief deputy detective. Each episode Brenda always is very tough on each crime and murder case she works she's tough as nails in the interview asking tough questions to suspects. Brenda also is very witty and smart when looking for clues upon the crime scene her investigative work is hands on, but underneath it all she never losses her southern charm and nice gentle ways. Her love life is off and on but sometimes romance with an FBI agent is shown. She's certainly a tough woman cracking L.A.'s most bloody and tough cases with hard work and determination, her habit is a bad sweet tooth! I just love the way Kyra speaks and portrays Brenda so well with a deep and thick southern drawl a real twang of talent! Really this series is good a tribute to police detectives and their hard work of crime solving skills, even better it's nice to see the fine Kyra Sedgwick doing a role so well a real role model to every working woman!
  • I have to say I've enjoyed just about every episode of the closer over it's 7 seasons.

I especially like the way the initial hostility of the other detectives eventually turns into respect and finally into a willingness to do what it takes to help BLJ in some of her times of need.

I also like that there's been a few episodes that are tongue in cheek - who can forget Provenza popping his little blue pill only to find a dead body in the bath tub, or the recent ep with Santa drinking his egg nog.

Maybe things get sewn up a little too well at times, but she's also had a few cases get away from her. The psychological aspect is what gives the show it's edge I think.

I also like that it doesn't resort to over the top violence.

I'll be very sad when the show ends this season.
  • A great cop show with smart plot lines, interesting characters and a distinctive style. The story starts out with Brenda, a southern transplant to LA. She's very good at solving odd murder cases and getting a confession from the criminal. She's not so great at the rest of her life. As the story develops we watch her weave her job and her very messy personal life with intelligent, interesting and occasionally funny results. The insight into police life and politics adds another fascinating dimension, to what is already an impressive show. I really think the new cable style of short seasons pushes shows like this to the utmost, making every episode highly watchable.
  • I'd like to know why TNT doesn't advertise "The Closer"s day and time on other TV stations. I've been trying to find out when the next episode is and had to Google the title to find it. Kyra Sedgwick is the only reason why I'd watch this "out of the ordinary" cop show. . Her character's great , she's messy, sort of disorganized, trying her best not to eat the junk food she tempts herself with...and then giving in to just the one cookie, God! How often have we all been there! Then we see her totally in command of the situation, taking control, getting under the skin of the accused, making the arrest stick, getting the bad guy to confess...whew!

She constantly surprises me with her strength and yet the writer's not afraid to show us her weaknesses, and I think that's why I like her so much. I know her too well. Kyra deserves the Golden Globe for her performance.
  • I have had the privilege of seeing "The Closer". Kyra does a tremendous job with the role of Deputy Chief Brenda Johnson. The plots have been believable and her character is not only intelligent and insightful, but adds a bit of Southern charm to the series. She is witty, spunky and altogether wonderful.

This is a refreshing change from the so-called "reality shows" that I simply cannot stomach. This show ranks right up there with the Law and Order shows of which I am also a great fan.....in fact, in my humble opinion, it could easily surpass them if the writers can continue to produce this same quality of scripts. I am also a great fan of MONK and the 4400, and The Dead Zone. I just love these types of shows.

Sue
  • I just have to say that I love, love, love The Closer. Kyra Sedgwick plays Brenda Lee Johnson brilliantly, and who can help but love her quirky mannerisms and genius? Brenda's quick wit and obsessive personality is both endearing and annoying, and it is for this reason that she is such a brilliant and compelling character. I also love the show because it is funny (watching Johnson's staff react to her quirkiness is a trip), it makes you think, and the story lines are usually always excellent. I also enjoy how the show delves deeper into the intragroup dynamics than your typical crime solving show. I look forward every week to The Closer. It is by far my favorite show in TV right now!
  • Chief Deputy Brenda Lee Johnson, along with her co-workers, family, victims and suspects are combined in story lines dramatically different from the popular CSI, Law and Order and copycats. Personally, I'm over-saturated with stories "ripped from the headlines", grisly autopsies and cool cool cinematography. The Closer entertains. While the plots may not always be completely believable, the characters act like real people. If you like character driven stories, this is a show worth exploring. I've read complaints that there's not much mystery in the show. I agree, but it doesn't matter. That's not the intent. There was very little mystery in Columbo either and it was the most entertaining show of its time. And there's complaints about Brenda Lee's messy personal life. For me, it makes her fully dimensional and complex. She has a lot of foibles and she is definitely "impossible" as she readily admits, but her work is brilliant, inspired and she's a fierce force of justice. Her over the top southern accent adds a sweetness that is endearing once one grows accustomed to it. Her problems with her fiancé and parents may be a bit exaggerated and contrived at times, but Kyra Sedgwick carries Brenda Lee's life into the viewer's heart in such a way that any flaws are easily overlooked. The supporting cast is superb. I wouldn't change a thing.
  • max84321 July 2007
    Excellent casting by Bruce Newberg. This last episode with Nina Foch, Orson Bean and French Stewart was one of the best - such feeling and compassion.

Beginning with the first episode, I couldn't believe that so many of my favorite actors were all regulars on the same series. A breath of fresh air with all the nonsense that is on TV today. Thank goodness for all the Law & Order, CSI, NCIS and like episodes, along with Monk and Psych. The Closer is at the top of my list right now.

The creator and writers for the show are superb, as is the camera work and editing. Just right.

My sister-in-law with three small children watches very little television, but loved The Closer from the start - and then was thrilled to realize that Brenda's FBI love interest was a former college classmate. To our delight his role appears to have been expanded this season.

The Closer is a true ensemble of creative artists.
  • mcworst16 May 2011
    I can't understand this show. The main character is annoying with her awful accent, and, the whole idea that she is the only one in all of LA that asks the questions she asks...which isn't saying much because they are questions I thought to ask. What makes her character special enough to warrant this show? The description says she uses unorthodox methods. Asking every question in a condescending tone and with a really fake Georgia accent just makes this show feel fake and unbelievable. Oh, and can someone tell the makeup artist that a woman as pale as Kyra Sedgewick shouldn't be wearing bright cherry red lipstick. It makes their skin look sickly. It just sucks.
  • Deputy Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson (who often thinks rules don't apply to her and was brought in by Assistant Chief Will Pope/J.K.Simmons , her former boss in the Metropolitan Police Department of Washington D.C., with whom she had an affair) as the head of the Priority Homicide Division of the LAPD , which was created to focus on high profile cases . Brenda runs the Priority Homicide Division of the LAPD with an unorthodox style , she is a well trained interrogator and has a great innate ability to get confessions and to read people resolving the city's toughest , most difficult , hardest cases . Later on , there appears Sharon Raydor well played by Mary McDonnell introduced to the Priority Homicide Division universe as the Captain of the Force Investigation Division , taking over the renamed PHD , which looks into officer-involved shootings , including one involving Detective David Gabriel/Corey Reynolds . It is a subdivision of Internal Affairs bound by federal oversight and is unpopular among LAPD personnel . She and Deputy Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson are initially antagonistic , although each is very dedicated to her job and believes in following the truth . Subsequently Raynor commands ¨Major Crimes¨ , a spin-off to ¨The Closer¨. Each series of "The Closer" has a theme on which its episodes are based. For Season 1, the theme is a woman in a man's world , the followings about partnerships , family , upon a meditation on power , the changing , and adjustment.

The expert team it is formed by the following members : 1- Corey Reynolds plays well Sergeant David Gabriel . The ambitious and eager Gabriel quickly becomes Brenda's favorite in the squad and her right-hand man, also occasionally her driver and errand boy . Gabriel is thoughtful and intelligent, and will stand up for what he believes in, even disagreeing vocally with Brenda when she veers toward street justice outside the system. Gabriel is a problem solver and creative thinker. He subsequently has s love affair to Detective Irene Daniels , Gina Rivera. 3- John Tenney interprets magnificently as Fritz Howard who is a special agent with the FBI and is part of the Crimes Unit in Los Angeles . He knows Deputy Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson/Sedgwick from when they both lived and worked in law enforcement in Washington D.C. He has been in L.A. for three years when the series begins and has a sister, Claire, who believes she is psychic. He knows about Will Pope/J.K.Simmons and his relation to Brenda and is uncomfortable around him 3- G. W. Bailey plays very well as Lt. Louie Provenza , he is a cranky older cop who has been married four times , initially gives Brenda a hard time , but warms to her and particularly appreciates her toughness . He and Lt. Andy Flynn/Tony Denison , his best friend and one of her biggest defenders , have a habit of getting into shenanigans together , fouling up cases and tell jokes themselves . As the oldest member of the squad , he is often threatened with forced retirement for budgetary reasons . He is a crusty curmudgeon who hates when people touch his stuff, but he still has sharp detective skills . He is especially protective of Detc. Julio Sánchez/Raymond Cruz . 4-Tony Denison performs perfectly Lieutenant Andy Flynn , he isn't always the most dedicated detective, and sometimes cuts corners or slacks off on cases . His loyalties can be shifting . His best friend is Provenza, and the two have the habit of getting into antics and nearly fouling up cases . Flynn is a recovering alcoholic who has been sober for 10 years . He is divorced and has a grown daughter . 5- Michael Paul Chan plays rightly Lt. Mike Tao , he is the unofficial technology , science and electronics expert for the Los Angeles Police Department's Priority Homicide División . He is of Chinese descent and his wife Kathy is Japanese . They have a teenage son . Before being transferred to Priority Homicide , Tao was a member of the SID . He is a true geek and loves to explain the science behind everything, even when a short answer will do . 6- Raymond Cruz is good as Detective Julio Sanchez , he is an important and competent member of the Priority Homicide Division , under direction of Brenda Johnson . He is a widower and an expert on Latino gangs . He has a quick temper and often plays the "bad cop" in interrogations, getting in a suspects face or threatening violence . Despite his temper, he can also be taciturn, letting his menacing stare do the talking . He is a shameless flirt and also very brave as well as tough . 7- Phillip P. Keene plays as Buzz Watson , he is a Civilian Service Coordinator who provides technical support to the Los Angeles Police Department's Priority Homicide Division . He films crime scenes and runs the audio system in the interrogation room . Brenda also calls on him for random help in a pinch. The squad is protective of him , as a civilian , but also treats him a little bit like a mascot or pet . 6- Robert Gosset plays as Taylor , he is manipulative and works hard to undermine Brenda at every turn . Taylor loves addressing the media . He encourages people in his squad to continue their education . 8- Jonathan Del Arco plays Dr. Morales , Deputy Medical Examiner for the Los Angeles County Department of the Coroner . As such, he is responsible for determining cause of death . He is sarcastic, blunt and has a sense of humor, even over dead bodies. But he is also sensitive and clearly shows pain for victims , especially the younger ones . He is openly gay and sometimes serves as a resource on the gay community.