• orlaithgra7 November 2005
    This show is fantastic!
    I love this show!! It's one of the best sitcoms on the air and one of the best CBS shows!!! I disagree with the other comment - Barney is the best character. He's the funniest person on the show. I love how the entire ensemble has chemistry together!! It actually feels like they're friends in real life. And I don't think they need new writers, they just need to grow a little more. This show gets better with time. I laugh so hard with the show that my sides hurt every time I watch. I recommend this show to anyone that has a great sense of humor and wants to laugh until their sides hurt. I hope that this show has a long run on the air.
  • kasiemahan8 November 2005
    Good laugh for late twenty-somethings
    I've enjoyed the first few episodes of this post "Friends" comedy. It really captures some of the humorous albeit awkward situations that late twenty-somethings are finding themselves in these days.

Alyson Hannigan once again presents her hilarious, quirky sense of style and humor. Along with her boyfriend, Marshall, they are an excellent representation of the couple who are trying to figure out an identity in the "not still partying like college kids, but trying not to be all grown up" stage of life.

The lead character, Ted, provides great entertainment. Audiences will be drawn in by his sensitivity and likability. He's not desperate to get married, but merely ready to find the One, tired of game playing.

Overall, I think this is a half-hour well spent. The humor is edgy, unpredictable, and you will find yourself reminiscing about those first few years after you graduated from college and struggled to find yourself out in the "Real World."
  • MarkOnline27 September 2005
    I hope this show is kept
    I don't know if I have enough to say to fill up ten lines. I basically wanted to say that I think this is a funny show, and I hope the network keeps it. I especially like the twists and sense of mystery.

I've liked Alyson Hannigan for quite a while, and I think she's doing a great job in the first adult role I've seen her in (I can't believe she's already 31). I also think Doogie, I mean Neil Patrick Harris, plays his character really well. If you haven't seen him in "Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle", you should. Josh Radnor also does a very good job in his first leading role.

I agree that everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, but I think this show has a lot of elements that make a good series: good plot, good writing, good acting, and attractive cast). I think previous series like "Friends" have raised the bar very high for new sitcoms, but I hope that even if a series isn't destined to become the next "Friends," it can still be recognized as a good and worthwhile sitcom.
  • emilyswope27 October 2005
    Grows on you
    Watched the show, thought "Hm, I haven't decided if it'll stay or not". But then the next day, my husband and I are quoting it and want to watch it again.

We try again the next week, again with the quoting. I haven't watched a show where there are lines that stick with me like this for a very long time. The show wouldn't be anywhere without "Barney", but somehow none of its faults matter because I enjoy it just too darn much. Every episode there's a new line, haven't been disappointed so far, hoping it continues and gets even better.

I mean come on, with lines like: "Suit up!" "Phone Five!" "Not awkward guys, its only awkward if we make it awkward"

And the numerous variations of "suit up" are a hoot "Snow suit up!" "Flight suit up" I gotta say, I just enjoy it.

There isn't great philosophy, it has a laugh track, but I don't miss it and end up watching the episode a couple times because its the only things worth watching sometimes.
  • pmk-sjk13 October 2005
    How I Met Your Mother is the best new show in a very long time!
    How I Met Your Mother is so worth watching! What great characters and amazing writing! This show is a Hit! Finally something to tune in to on Monday nights. Not since Friends have the characters on a sit com bonded like this. I love that there are 3 guys and 2 girls..The writing is fresh and in control and productive.....I particularly enjoy the Ted with the shirt episode - what a unique story line and all the characters just seem to work so well together. I love the added suspense of "who is Ted going to end up with". The character of Ted does an amazing job! He has such a cuteness and innocence about him that makes the whole premise of "How I Met Your Mother" really work and keeps the audience so tuned in to find out what is going to happen next! You have accumulated such a great staff of writers!!! Amazing new show! Our office is taking turns staging Monday night soirees to watch! This premise really works! Keep us the good work! Keep Monday night TV rolling along! Yeah!! Hilarious!
  • darkmanishere99017 October 2005
    My favorite show on TV behind only Seinfeld.
    What can I say about this show? The cast is awesome. The writers rock. The show is great. My favorite character is Barney. He is probably the main person I watch the show for. He is funny and brings a certain "something' to TV that it needs. It is totally the best new comedy in awhile. While it does have a laugh track - it isn't needed. Bob Sagget is right at home on this show playing the Dad. I think it is very fitting for him to be playing that role. The rest of the cast is great also. The guy who plays Ted is great at being the 'every day' guy and Marshall and his soon to be wife, Lilly are perfect together. As for Robin, well she is Robin and there is nothing wrong with her. I think everyone on this show including the regular cab driver are great. This show has everything and I hope everyone gives it a chance. I love it. It is legendary. Till next week Barney.
  • 10/10
    Sweet romantic comedy you must watch!
    Excellent series to waste some time. Perfect for the romantic souls! The story is about five friends and their love adventures, mixed up with tons of funny stories. Ted is a lonely guy, who wants to make a family, but the girl he loves does not want a serious relationship and keeps cutting off his attempts to win her heart. Marshal and Lilly are Ted's best friends they are together for 9 years and are planning a wedding with all the consequences coming from that. Barny is the Casanova of the company. He's funny and arrogant in a very humouristic way. The director's method's are different and will keep your attention in these cute series.
  • GoTGeEk8278095 May 2013
    Time to go!
    What happened to this show?!! This show has run it's course.. Just like the office did! And just like the office, only the first 4-5 seasons were funny. They should have quit while they were ahead! HIMYM should have ended about five years ago!! Maybe if it did, it would have ended with dignity and people would have respected it. I stopped watching. But some people I know are just watching because , and I quote 'they feel like they have to because they followed it for so long' but they all say its terribly unfunny now and disappointing. I mean really Carter Bays do you want people to watch your show because of that? Don't you want everyone to watch it because its funny and original? Terrible, terrible, terrible.. And sad part is - seasons 1-3 were awesome and hilarious. Sad
  • jazebelle25 October 2010
    Getting duller with every new season
    I used to be a huge fan of How I met your Mother. I thought the show was brilliant. It was fresh, different, with new faces and had a really cute story line. I swear, the first two seasons were hilarious. The 3rd season wasn't too bad either, and now that they are running re-runs of season 1-3 on TV where I am, I've learned to compare the show from then and now. What happened, dear writers, producers, directors and actors?! How I met your Mother at its later season is just becoming dreadful. Obviously the writers are struggling to give it more staying power on the airways, but prolonging the episodes with extremely annoying story lines are really going to throw your fans off. And worst still, the show isn't funny anymore.

I mean, honestly, adults at their age in real life do not at all behave like that. Instead of adults in their late 20's, they're all beginning to sound like clumsy aloof teenagers. It's really getting very annoying. And Ted, who was very likable in the beginning episodes, has gone to this pathetic, needy, clingy and whiny plus boring individual. And then there's Lily and Marshall, who are married now and are trying to conceive, but have gotten over the top mushy with each other that it makes me gag.

Barney's probably the only person to watch for in the series. Although I vouch that it will get old soon. How many more women can he sleep with? How much more of a sleaze will he become? As for Robin, well, I had no confidence in her staying on in the show, and she truly brings no chemistry or any presence at all. If she weren't in the regular cast list, I still think the series could have taken off. She'd probably do better as a guest star.

Some of the episodes don't even make any sense, no was there really any reason to turn it into an entire 20 over minuet episode! It just contains extremely boring and annoying sequences that have been repeated too many times throughout the other seasons. I don't even find myself smiling once with the newer episodes.

And as some of the reviewers have said here, with 6 seasons running, none of them have really made any progress throughout the years. I am sad to see this show go down the drain. As to those who compare it to FRIENDS, I'm afraid this show will never come even close to being how amazing and funny FRIENDS was. With good shows like HIMYM turning horrible, I'm surprised good comedies like Gary Unmarried have been canceled, and time slots are given to comedies that have deteriorated.
  • Andrea7 November 2005
    Watch iT!
    When "How I Met Your Mother" first appeared on the small screen, I refused to watch it. But then I watched an episode (I think it was Episode 5 when they went to a club) and a thought it was pretty funny. I must admit that the new show isn't laugh-out-loud, slap-your-knee HILARIOUS...but it has potential to be great! Every character in the CBS show (5 in total) are likable but I must give extra kudos to the characters played by Alyson Hannigan (Lily), and Neil Patrick Harris (Barney). I may be biased towards my liking of Alyson Hannigan's Lily (due to her previous comedic roles: American Pie Series, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer) but she brings a charm and charismatic flair to the show. Also Neil Patrick Harris' Barney is GREAT!!! He basically plays a creep which I'm sure everyone is familiar with (because I know I sure am!). I find Barney hilarious!!! He IS that creepy guy at the club but that's what makes him lovable.

All in all this show has potential! As long as the stories, acting and writing keep up then I am definitely going to tune in! I think once people start getting to know the characters better, they'll start tuning in as well. Everyone always compares this show to "Friends" which didn't really get popular until after the first season. Hopefully, this show will continue to be funny and exceed our expectations. But WATCH IT!
  • nametaken2711 November 2005
    love it
    well. if you just look at the title, its most likely you would think its some crappy show that will probably be cancelled the first season for being extremely lame and incredibly boring. honestly, i felt this way about this show when i saw what it was going to be called.."How I Met Your Mother". Come on. thats what most people would expect.

well, if people gave it a chance, its actually a really cute and hilarious sitcom about the main character Ted pondering on his love life and looking for "the one". Josh Radnor I've never heard of before, but i really do like his humor in the show. it's a strange kind of humor to me though, almost dry humor. The supporting characters give great comedy to the show, esp. Neil Patrick Harris' character Barney. (who's my favorite character in the show). Man, his character cracked me up in the pilot. I laughed continuously when everyone kept on dismissing his ideal of them all wearing suits. Its great that Doogie finally comes back to television in a great new series. Their are other great characters i feel give great comedy to the show such as the couple Lily (Alyson Hannigan) and Marshall (Jason Segal) who make a great team. They have those romantic, but hilarious scenes together where you have those laugh out loud moments. Then you finally have Robin (Cobie Smulders) who is seen as "the one" at first, but turns out to not actually be Ted's future wife. She has her funny moments, but i don't really see her as funny as the rest of the characters.

Thats basically what people need to know about this show. Most of the actors we have never heard of and haven't seen in movies or shows in awhile, but this is great stardom for them. It's a great show for everyone to watch for it has great comedy and writing to it. It's nothing really what i expected though when i saw the previews for the pilot. Just give this show a chance, you won't be disappointed. It def. has a potential to last some more seasons.
  • briannebytheseashore19 September 2005
    Cute Little Show
    I don't have much in the way of a review other than to say that based on the pilot, I think this show has a lot of potential to be a really good show. The cast is funny and endearing and the premise is fun. It might not be the most original idea for the show (think Wonder Years) but it has it's own little twist that should make for some interesting episodes. Hopefully next weeks episode will be just as watchable and entertaining. If you haven't checked it out, I recommend that you do. Alyson Hannigan and Neil Patrick Harris are the perfect complements to the show. The rest of the cast is somewhat unfamiliar to me though I must admit. I recall seeing Jason Segel in Freaks and Geeks, but I haven't really seen him in anything as impressive since so hopefully he'll bring the same originality he showed as Nick to his new character, Marshall. Josh Radnor is the newcomer in the bunch and he is just perfect for the part. He's cute yet dorky, with a lovable charm that will certainly endear him to many female viewers. I see only good things on the horizon for this show and I hope it finds a permanent home at CBS.
  • Peter Maahn Sterkenburg29 November 2013
    Until season 5, epic. After that, avoid at all cost.
    This review will fall into two pieces, inspired by the latest 2 episodes ( seriously guys, what the f... is going on with the musical bits and ridiculous rhyming).

Until season 5, somewhere mid-season 6: some of the best comedy I have ever seen. Hilarious, right on the spot, with great one-liners and characters. Absolutely wonderful.

Anything after that: what the f... went wrong? Lame jokes, terrible musical bits, awful dialogue, just plain awful TV. And yet somehow, I am still watching, just to see the last episode. Com' on guys, this should have finished 3-4 seasons ago: on your epic legendary peakness.

Thanks for all the wonderful laughs, but wow, you really overstayed your stay!!
  • CrenshawPete28 April 2013
    Pretentious Show Aimed At Teens? Should Be Called "Dowisetrepla"
    I bought all seven seasons on DVD because my coworkers raved about how funny this show is. OK, I wasn't impressed with the pilot, and now that I'm on season three, I can say without a doubt that this rehash of old ideas doesn't get any funnier. In fact, I have yet to laugh at a single joke.

To be fair, if they got rid of Ted (fiery car crash, anyone?) and canned the writers, the rest of the cast might have potential. Neil Patrick Harris, Jason Segel, and Alyson Hannigan are certainly knocking themselves out. But let's deal with what we've got, rather than what it could be.

What we have is clearly a rip-off of Friends, among other shows. "Vomit free since '93"? Seinfeld. Pretending to be a tourist in your home town in order to pick up women? Seinfeld again. And the moustache fetish/attraction from the tattoo removal episode? Threes Company. I could go on.

And speaking of the tattoo removal episode... Seriously, it takes the doctor TEN weeks to tell Ted the reason she won't date him is because she has a daughter and thus devotes all her time to her child. Who writes this nonsense? A normal adult would just tell the guy the reason in the first place... But then that wouldn't open up the situation for all kinds of hilarious hi-jinx, now would it, kids?

These so-called "adults" live a goofy, adolescent lifestyle, like no university graduate I've ever met. It's almost like a 14-year-old girl's fantasy of what awaits her after she graduates high school. I'm actually embarrassed for the writers and embarrassed to be watching this show in my early 30s. At least the twenty-something characters on Friends acted like adults with real careers.

Which brings me to Ted, who is perhaps the most annoying main character in modern sitcom history. I can't stand him! What twenty-something male spends all of his time obsessing about getting married -- especially when he hasn't even met Ms. Right yet??? And surprise, all the women on the show are attracted to him, like he's Brad Pitt. In fact, all the girls in the bar look like models and are one-dimensional air-heads who ALWAYS instantly fall for our overly-nice drip of a main character.

Barney: "Have you met Ted?" Perfect-ten female with googly eyes *falling all over herself*: "Hiiiii Ted!"

Speaking of annoying, the limo/cab driver with his stupid fruity smile and "Helloooooooo!" catch-phrase makes me want to join a fight club. Apparently there's only one cab driver in this juvenile fantasy version of New York city.

Add to this the endless flash-backs-within-flash-backs, and you've got the most pretentious recycled garbage that ever survived a pilot episode. Make no mistake, this "romantic" (read cornball) comedy may have fooled some of the less mature viewing audience -- those who are too young to have seen good comedy -- but this will NOT stand the test of time. I hope the writers and producers are enjoying the money while it lasts. I sure as heck will avoid any turkey their names are attached to from now on.

In closing, if you're checking this show out for the first time, I recommend watching the episode "Dowisetrepla" with all of its "is what I should have said" and it's "is what I did say." If you find that hilarious, then this show is definitely for you. Enough said.
  • nabil-nashar15 May 2012
    They're milking it
    I am extremely disappointed. I used to love this show when it first came out. And for the first 5 seasons I really did have a great time watching. I didn't necessarily laugh hysterically all the time, but it def. got a few laughs out of me. Everyone was in love with the characters, in love with the set up, in love with the story and the idea.

I think the strongest selling point for this show was the name. "How I met your mother" was clever because it was new. It's kind of a weird title. a bit bizarre so people wanted to know more. Obviously after watching a few episodes you get the jest of it and you start to see how it's just future Ted Mosby talking to his kids narrating the supposed story of how he met their mother.

Right, all good. Now we go through different ups and downs in Ted's life and we learn about the different characters which were constructed beautifully and I believe nailed by every single one of the actors. The problem lies with the show producers milking it to make more money.

The story is pretty much done. Ted dated every kind of girl he possibly could. Almost got married god knows how many times. Once actually came close to it but got left at the altar.

The show is simply not that funny anymore. It's starting to be pathetic really, as they desperately drag it much longer than it needs to. It's time to end it and move on.
  • KasperKyd4 November 2013
    Become so Boring
    This show was one of the best once it starts till almost season 6, and I wish they end it there.

It becomes so boring, they don't concentrate on the story anymore, a lot of (garbage if I can say that) just to fill the timing of the episodes. Especially this last season it screws everything, I watch complete episode, not even with one smile.

Anyway, if you want to watch this series, you're going to forward a lot while playing after season 5 or 6 (boring alert :)

Comparing to TBBT show, I believe TBBT still holding to number 1 for me and How I met your mother lost it's flavor big time.
  • Mitsos Dalikeris22 May 2013
    You got to be kidding me... Is this still on???
    9 Seasons??? Really??? What a total waste of time... Seriously why does it still air...?? Hell, even "joey" was better than this piece of crap... Actors act like ten year old children in a school play... Dull sceneries... Please tell me whom I have to blame for approving the pilot episode??? A show about a guy who informs his children of how he met their mother by telling them about his irrelevant relationships, long enough to see his own kids going to retirement by the time he finishes his story... Whats the point here...??? - "Hey dad, how did you met our mother???" - "Well... I had about 100 relationships that ended bad but don't worry I ll tell you everything about them..." That lame character is supposed to be an architect when he cant even answer a simple question? Its like asking how many are 2 plus 2 oranges??? And the answer is.... Well... First it was space, then the planets, then... then there were seeds initially, then they grow to trees... and going on and on until his kids die of boredom or lack on food on the same chair. Finally the worst part of all... - Eh, no that wasn't actually what happened... its... , Oh no I don't remember... oh I do now... Or was it the other way around??? Its a really bad copy of FRIENDS without a sign of humor... I do believe and hope that people are smart enough to see that... Please do humanity a favor and stop that thing from airing... PLEASE!!! I am begging you...
  • drakezone8915 November 2012
    What has happened to this series ??!!??
    There was a time when i considered HIMYM as the best ever sitcom..even above friends..but season 7 and now season 8 have proved to be great disappointments. After the dismal season 7 I was hoping the worst was over but here we are in season 8 and things don't seem to be improving. Few things that i have noticed: 1. Most of the stories are in flashback (so that makes the show flashback-in-flashback) 2. Stories have become more and more distant from reality and hence any attempt to induce laughter seems superficial. 3. Characters seem old and droopy. 4. Setup seems overcrowded and overstuffed, specially Lily and Marshall's apartment. It is kinda irritating. What exactly is happening to HIMYM? Honestly I don't care anymore who the mother is!!
  • Zvonimir Buzanic11 November 2012
    Totally lost after season 5
    At the beginning this show WAS really entertaining, funny, good jokes and everything was in place. But it turned out like bad friends. I guess they decided to prolong finding "Mother" just because of popularity. Everybody sleeps with everybody and that's normal and they are "friends" after all no matter they slept each other. Seems like only Marshall and Lilly are normal in this. I really hated when Ted decided to leave Victoria because of Robin. Should we abandon our partners because of dumb friends? So immature.

Also, forced jokes in last two seasons (7/8) are so bad I won't watch this anymore, just the last episode to see who that perfect women is. Shame, it had potential but failed HARD!
  • fmonaca5 June 2013
    So highly overrated!
    Well, how to put it? Tastes are subjective but I really cannot imagine how somebody can give this show a 10, or even a 6! Someone compared this to Friends... well, it could be if it had humor, something that Friend had in abundance and sorely lacks in this one.

I just really cannot cope with the fact that so many worthy shows struggle to get renewed or are outright canceled (Firefly to name the first that comes to my mind) and such garbage is now at what, the 9th season? I do like the actors, I'm a big fan of Neal Patrick Harris and Jason Segel, I really am. But they're only able to raise this show from its abysmal depths of crappiness to a level of utter mediocrity.

I'll go re-watch Friends or even Joey for some real laughs, or Community if I want something more recent, How I Met You Mother is not worth the time spent to write this.
  • xyxymani17 May 2011
    Worst comedy I ever followed
    How can I say it respectfully? hmm.... It's disgustingly boring and insultingly illogical.

I admit that season 1 and 2 were extremely well made. Maybe it is the reason why I am now extremely disappointed. The writers only uses tricks of "sudden turns of events" to generate funny moments. Having watched many episodes of this show, all I see is that characters constantly changing their beliefs, decisions, and actions back and forth without any logical reasons: we two must break up, no, we must get back together, no, that's just impulse, we should still break up, no, that's true love, we must get back together, no, it's true love because we wanted it to be, we should break up......

The show is not making too much sense now. The five figures in the show don't have consistent characters any more. You can not ask such questions: "how could this person possibly do such a thing?" Because you won't have any logical answers. Maybe this is exactly what American shows are about: like fast food, you don't need to enjoy it, just swallow what is given to you. Sometimes, you stop and think "wait a minute, this doesn't make sense, doesn't XX just did something exactly the opposite a minute ago?" No, you can't. The writers just throw to you another contradictory joke and you are moving on.

I feel deeply insulted watching the show. I feel that the writers assume that audience never think deeper than the superficial meaning of the jokes while watching shows, which is not true.

Deeply disappointed.
  • xhidden994 August 2016
    Good for 4 or 5 seasons then it falls flat for years
    Others have weighed in on this very popular show by the thousands. I'm coming to this through my wife's Netflix binge watching. And for the record I know how it ends, haven't seen it, don't care. So many people complained about that but what they don't get is that it doesn't matter. Everyone knows how it ends after S1E3. Or they should. It's a freakin sitcom. It's going to be 100% predictable. Not bad predictable just predictable. For the first 4 or 5 seasons it's OK. After that though it's just annoying predictable. They're people in their late 20s early 30s who act like 18 and again that's fine until it gets super super old. How many years can you string along a shaggy dog story about whiny dysfunctional narcissists? 6 years? 7? 8? Nope. 9 long long long seasons of the same old old old same old. And by the way Ted Mosby should have been killed in an industrial accident early on. They could call it How I Killed That A-hole Ted Mosby. Anyway the shoe's been off the air for years, everyone's had their say and no one cares.
  • Kuusafiiri25 March 2016
    This show doesn't make you laugh that much.
    I was told that if you like Friends, you'll like How I met your mother. The show is now on Netflix, so I thought: "Why not." I have no idea how this show has been so popular and I'm wondering why on Earth people compare this to the epic comedy: Friends. very boring. And to be honest, I didn't feel it had a cohesive storyline, and the people or the story didn't seem to get anywhere. Just a bunch of separate "jokes" and moments. I wasn't excited about the ending of the first season and didn't even realize, when Netflix started to roll the second season. To me it felt the same all the time...And the characters just seem to lack personality.

What bothers me the most, is that the jokes and characters have so much similar things as Friends. Every time something familiar came up, I was so annoyed and thought that couldn't the writers really come up with something different and original. Too many times I kept thinking "I have seen this" and "Are you kidding me, you stole that from Friends".

Just to name a few...

*One thing that annoyed me the most, was that nobody quite knew what Barney's job was and that was one of the main things of Chandler's character. Seriously, the writes should have NOT used that joke here!

*The others are calling Barney Swarley, and he hates it. In Friends Chandler wanted to be Clint, but everyone kept calling him Gene. Barney's and Chandler's reactions are very similar.

*Marshall and Jill (the "main couple") want to get married in Casino. So did Monica and Chandler. *Barney is womanizer, so is Joey. They both have sex with older woman and have a crush on their friend's ex (Robin/Rachel). *Robin and Ted are having a hard time to make their relationship start. So did Rachel and Ross.

This was definitely not a TV-show for me... Totally waste of time.
  • geoffcoo11 March 2016
    Dire in the extreme
    This really is the most awful show. Clichéd writing and amateurish performances makes this a decidedly disappointing viewing experience. Time to bring it all to an end and move on to something watchable.

The situations are poor and the execution of them is laboured. It is almost as though a team of writers have come together to think up the most obvious, in your face, situations and have then proceeded script them. One of the disadvantages of teams of scriptwriters on a show is that the ideas pass through a committee stage and most of the good ones don't get through.

If it were not for the US The Office I would award this the worst comedy ever.
  • Tiago Ferreira1 June 2014
    Watch season 1-3 and just read the rest online
    When I first started watching How I met your mother I felt it had the potential to be a new Friends. It was funny, the characters were lovable, interesting, and had personality. The story was quite engaging and this is how it went for 3 seasons. Then the show got stuck. The main plot just goes in circles and all side plots, which could have been really interesting on their own, just get lost among fillers and boring moments that make you wish you'd stop watching the show. That's what I eventually did around season 7, and I only regret not have taking that decision earlier. I did feel tempted to go back to it for the last season, but I decided not to. From what I learned afterwards about the ending of the whole show and how the plot developed, I definitely don't regret my decision. The only thing I regret was season 5 and 6. Wish I had stopped back in the 4th, when I realised the show was going nowhere or even better at the end of season 3 (peak of the show).