User Reviews (689)

• Antman. When I first heard about the plans for this movie I laughed to myself and thought, "How can becoming smaller be cool?" Sure enough, Marvel has surpassed my expectations and turned something I thought would be lame and uninteresting into something hilarious and actually pretty cool. I'm not going to include any spoilers, but I will say the fighting style of Antman is much better than I thought it would be. I learned a lot about the story as well as the abilities he has.

Antman gets much more interesting when doing combat. The ability to shrink and grow at will is something Marvel has gotten very creative with.

The language in this film is good enough for my young children to watch. There are no F or GD bombs to ruin the mood and the moment with the family. I'd say I'd surely watch it again.
  • OK, so I will probably target the wrath of a legion of fan-boys but as a PhD Physicist I will categorically state that much of the science in the Marvel universe is total nonsense. For example, it requires a certain suspension of belief that whole cities can be levitated. But it's called "Science Fiction" for a reason, right? "Ant Man" pushes that suspension of belief to whole new levels. The concept that a miniaturised man, were such a thing even possible, could exert the same moment and force as a full sized person would make Newton spin in his grave.

With these nagging doubts I watched the trailer increasingly comfortable in my view that, (even with a free cinema pass), this was a film I would avoid like the plague. That was until the final scene, featuring Thomas the Tank engine, that was ludicrously and surprisingly comical. Could it be that, like last year's "Guardians of the Galaxy", Marvel had pulled its pompous head out of its ass and come up with an 'Avengers-lite' that could entertain a broader audience? I decided to risk it. And I was glad I did.

Paul Rudd ("Friends", "Anchorman") plays ex-con Scott Lang who is recruited by brilliant scientist and would-be superhero Dr Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) and his gorgeous daughter Hope ("Lost" and "The Hobbit"'s Evangeline Lilly) to steal a jacket. (No, really). The owner of said jacket, albeit a high-tech jacket, is businessman and all-round bad-guy Darren Cross (Corey Stoll), with evil intent. (You can tell he's evil by what he does to a cute little lamb - this is the worst viewing for sheep since "Far from the Madding Crowd".) By miniaturising Lang and securing the help of an army of ants, the stage is set for a heist of a most unusual kind.

This sounds ridiculous to even write. So why does it work? First up, the script by Edgar Wright ( of "3 Flavours Cornetto" fame), Adam McKay ("The Other Guys"), Joe Cornish and Paul Rudd himself is as tight as a drum, with some situations and lines that are downright hilarious. A couple of brilliant lip sync scenes, one featuring the requisite Stan Lee cameo, are grin-inducing pleasures.

Supporting the screenplay, the three leading players pull off their roles with enormous panache. Rudd is hugely likable, with all of the smart-whip humour of Downey Jnr.'s "Iron Man" but with none of the appalling arrogance. Michael Douglas, in his one outing this year, seems to be revelling in his role and (presumably with the help of some clever makeup and/or CGI) looking very dapper in the 1987 version of his character. And Evangeline Lilly enters the Avenger's world with a bang and looks very comfortable there. In an effective supporting role, Michael Peña ("American Hustle") adds a comic lightness of touch as fellow robber Luis. Abby Ryder Fortson also deserves special mention (and an Oscar for cuteness) as Lang's young daughter.

Whilst real fan-boys might object to the flippant nature of the film, there are a number of clever cross-overs into the 'mainstream' "Avengers" films, with one B-list Avenger guest star and (eventually) an A-list appearance. And (as is common in these films, and notable as 80% of the audience stayed in their seats for the full credits) there is both a mid-credits scene (that's a set-up for the sequel) and a final post-credit scene that (so I'd told) is hugely significant for next year's "Captain America: Civil War" (in which Rudd is set to reprise his "Ant Man" role).

The director is Peyton Reed, whose limited movie portfolio to date includes Jim Carrey's "Yes Man" and "Bring it On".

As I found myself thoroughly enjoying the experience, my rating, against all the odds, is twice what I expected it to be. I can't believe I'm saying this… but I recommend you go see this for a fun movie summer experience.
  • AntMan is a lesser know character of marvels but by no means does that effect the quality of this movie. First off I thought that the casting of this film wasn't going to work, that been Paul Rudd mainly, just because I have read a few of the AntMan comics and didn't think it was going to work, I was wrong he is brilliant, hilarious and believable, all of the jokes he made actually made laugh out load which doesn't happen much. Michael Pena was great in this film, he plays the same kind of character he always seems too, but it really works, especially the story telling scenes were hilarious. This was a all round well cast film.

The action and CGI Was great, on first thoughts I thought when AntMan shrinks down that the CGI would take you out of the movie but let me tell you it doesn't, it's awesome! Especially seeing the world from that size and scenes where AntMan is shrinking and enlarging when fighting i thought would get a little too much but the honestly don't.

All around I AntMan felt different to all the other MCU movies that have come out, but a good different.    A well cast,directed and acted film that will be a welcome addition to my marvel collection.
  • Like many people, I came into the theater wondering how Marvel would make the audience care about such a little-known character with decidedly unimpressive powers. It turns out they used the opportunity to make one of their best movies yet.

Ant-Man was not at all what I expected. I have been a fan of most of the previous movies of the Marvel Cinematic universe, but you don't have to be a fan of super hero movies to enjoy this movie. it has good pacing and holds your interest throughout. There are plenty of action and the fight scenes, but unlike the previous Marvel movies, this movie focuses on a heist. This, along with the comedy throughout, makes it a breath of fresh air in the Marvel universe. No Marvel movie since has so seamlessly bonded the genre of action and comedy.

The main character, Scott Lange, is not a billionaire or scientist or ancient god, and he doesn't have super strength or intelligence; he is a thief who deals with holding down a job and being able to see his daughter. This makes him incredibly relatable. Being played by Paul Rudd doesn't hurt either. Rudd, along with the rest of the cast, delivers a memorable performance. The idea of a father trying to reconcile his relationship with his daughter may have been used before, but Evangeline Lilly and Michael Douglas make it work without seeming trite or overused. The role that really stands out is Corey Stoll as Yellowjacket. He is, in my opinion, the most terrifying villain the Marvel universe has seen yet. He doesn't want global domination, he wants money and power, and that makes him a very believable villain. Stoll's performance is more three-dimensional than one might expect in a super hero movie, and adds to the already great cast.

Perhaps the most impressive part of Ant-Man was the visual effects. I saw this movie in IMAX 3D, and the quality was stunning. I don't like most movies in 3D, but this one worked well. The shrinking and growing looked very good as well as the action sequences. Although the action happens on a small scale, it can stand up to any of the other movies Marvel has made.

If you haven't seen this film yet, I would highly recommend it. The acting, directing, and cinematography all make this film highly enjoyable, even if you haven't seen any of Marvel's previous films.
  • For a few brief moments, the unstoppable juggernaut that is the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) looked like it was about to grind to a halt with Ant-Man. Unlike most other films under the Marvel Studios umbrella, this production has been haunted by doubt and dissension. Fans were nervous about the narrative decisions to relegate Hank Pym – the original Ant-Man in the comic books – to the sidelines, while killing off his wife Janet Van Dyne (who, as the Wasp, is one of the founding members of the Avengers). Then came that hugely publicised parting of the ways between Marvel and original director Edgar Wright, who oozes so much geek cred that people understandably mourned his departure from the project after years of development. And yet, the final product – Peyton Reed's Ant-Man – is a fun, frothy delight, one that proves once and for all that Marvel knows precisely what it's doing and where it's going with the most crazily interconnected movie-and-television franchise of all time.

After serving his jail sentence, Scott Lang (Rudd) just wants to reunite with his daughter Cassie and get his life back on track. But he soon discovers that people in the outside world – including his ex- wife Maggie (Greer) and her new cop boyfriend Paxton (Cannavale) – aren't particularly kind to former convicts. Beaten down by circumstances, he agrees to pull off one last heist with his eternally optimistic buddy Luis (Pena). It's a crime that places him squarely in the path of Dr. Hank Pym (Douglas), a retired, semi-reclusive scientist who decides to enlist Scott in his life-long mission of preventing the Pym Particle – a technological breakthrough that allows him to become the super- small, super-strong Ant-Man – from falling into the wrong hands.

Truth be told, Ant-Man gets off to a somewhat shaky start. The tale of an honourable rogue who's looking for a shot at redemption is a well-worn storytelling trope, one that the film initially seems to embrace rather too eagerly. As we watch Scott soldier through a host of tiny indignities, the dialogue – still credited to Wright and his co-writer Joe Cornish, with rewrites by Rudd and Adam McKay – is uninspired, and oftentimes uncomfortably on-the-nose. There's no subtlety here, and the sense of fun that accompanies Scott's attempt to hold down a job in Baskin Robbins feels a wee bit forced.

But the film kicks into higher gear, and stays there, once Scott stumbles onto or, more accurately, steals his second chance. His discovery of the Ant-Man suit and all that entails – working with Hank, meeting Hank's aloof but eminently capable daughter Hope (Lilly), training to prevent Hank's former protégé Darren Cross (Stoll) from replicating the Pym Particle for sale to the highest bidder – give the story the shot of adrenaline it needs. In the blink of an eye, this superhero heist flick finds its feet, and transforms into a whirlwind of action, humour and heart. Reed's camera zigs merrily from Luis' unique method of exposition (brilliant) to Scott's attempts to survive Hope's training (bruisingly hilarious), before zagging into the dark, trembling heart of Hank's troubled relationship with his daughter.

Indeed, what makes Ant-Man work so well is its insistence on respecting its characters and taking their concerns and relationships seriously. This provides the film with an emotional anchor amidst all the madcap chaos and gleeful irreverence. Scott's overpowering love for his young daughter runs parallel to Hank's own concern for Hope, and even Paxton – initially caricaturised as the stereotypical brutish new boyfriend – is given layers and depth beyond what might be expected of a film that seems so silly on the surface. This culminates in the film's best action sequence: one that manages to be utterly ridiculous, as the camera cheekily zooms in and out of a conflict that's entirely proportional to the size of its participants; but also deeply heartfelt, when Scott makes a split-second decision between life and probable death.

For anyone concerned about Ant-Man subsisting in its own little bubble within the MCU, rest assured that there's plenty on display here to please even the most die-hard of fans. The film features not only a welcome cameo from a very popular agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., but also ties Scott firmly into MCU continuity with a hugely pleasing direct reference to Avengers: Age Of Ultron. The subsequent semi-aerial battle that takes place between Ant-Man and a certain Avenger proves that this miniscule hero has what it takes to stand proud alongside the world's mightiest champions. (Stay through the credits, by the way, for two incredibly exciting hints at what's to come for the MCU in the future.)

As with all the other films and television shows in Marvel's burgeoning media empire, the cast of Ant-Man is pitch-perfect. Rudd puts his goofy and amiably sexy charisma to excellent use as Scott, allowing us to believe that this one man can be as silly as he is strong, and as serious as he is funny. Lilly gets the big-screen role she richly deserves in Hope, who's acknowledged at every point in the film as being better, stronger, and more capable than the men around her think she is. Douglas plays a far more palatable version of Dr. Pym (who can be tough to swallow in the comics), and does so with his trademark charm and magnetism, while Stoll gives good psychopath as the increasingly unhinged, patently cruel Cross.

Ant-Man may not edge out the other films that make up Phase Two of the MCU in a straw poll – it does, after all, face some pretty serious competition in what has been an unbroken run of truly excellent superhero films. But it's an incredibly solid effort: smart, rich, deep and funny, teeming with ideas, genres and the potential for so much more. Now if that doesn't make for a great superhero movie, what does?
  • This movie is incredible. A ton of fun with brilliant action and hilarious dialogue this is another fantastic win for Marvel. Paul Rudd plays a likable and charismatic hero who really makes you root for him and his goals. Michael Pena is the real heist of this film as he steals every scene that he is in. Corey Stoll as the villain was a fantastic choice from Marvel. He can play the corporate business man and an intimidating villain. The visuals are stunning in this film. All of the tiny ant scenes are visually outstanding and hilarious. The are two post credit scenes which are fantastic and really tie into the larger universe. Ant Man is a fantastic movie which is worth your money and I suggest that you see it in cinemas.
  • Ant-Man is great Heist film disguised as a superhero film. With great performances all around, I'm surprised it doesn't get the attention it deserves. Definitely a must-see-movie.
  • Had it been too desperate and hopeless, ANT-MAN would have shrunk its way for admission to the almost-complete, Avengers team. But neither such concern nor saving the world from an impending catastrophic destruction, holds weight heavy enough to pull this miniature superhero from his top priority: winning back his daughter. The emotional weight of the narrative comes across as an anomalous content to the generally comedic structure of the film, but they serve purpose for the overall flow of the proceedings, nonetheless.

The film follows Scott Lang (Paul Rudd), who has just been released from prison after committing burglary. He has been prohibited to see his daughter due to his inability to provide financial support, no thanks to his being an ex-con that keeps hindering him from getting a job. He meets the highly-intellectual yet solitary scientist, Hank Pym (Michael Douglas), who has a job for him: pulling off a heist on his ex-protégé, Darren Cross (Corey Stoll), who is in possession of a size-changing prototype, that poses massive amount of threats to worldwide security. Using a military suit that allows him to shrink back and forth, in size, Lang carries on with the mission with the hope that by doing so, he would be able to reclaim and earn the reputation and respect he lost, especially his daughter's.

It's easier to see Ant-Man as a beautiful mess, rather than a well-crafted superhero flick with profound depth and sense . There's a lot of illogical nonsense that always nearly sends the film to wreckage, but there's also so much of the fun side to make up for the eventual narrative shortcoming. At the center of its comic efforts, Paul Rudd's Scott Lang/Ant-Man shines with his general amiability, pulling off his role with credible wit and comic allure. Rudd is such a delight here, and his presence and effortless take on his character make the mostly messed-up flow of the events, extremely palatable. There's also much to say about Michael Douglas, how his character, Pym, easily integrates well with Lang and his daughter, Hope (Evangeline Lily) , to provide a firm and well-knitted character framework. Corey Stoll, on the other hand, is less impressive, barely providing the needed threat to make his presence felt and his belligerence imminent. But on moments where he and Lang engage in beautifully-choreographed fight scenes, the ineptitude gets relegated below the more important aspects of the proceedings, and once it does, the breathtaking visual schemes work under the spotlight, capturing Lang's size-changing skill with epic elaborateness. There's magic in every size shift, and the visual artistry is at its peak to deliver the moment.

Perhaps, one of the most immediately-noticeable difference of Ant-Man from its Marvel fellows is that it doesn't engage, nor rush too much, to explosive battles that generally results to immeasurable destruction. It is noticeably evident on the fact that its most interesting and most jaw-dropping action setpiece, happens in a toy train set. Most importantly, this new addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe places its comic prowess at the center of its general effort to validate its entry to the franchise, and that is achieved without putting the natural action/adventure tendency of its superhero, nor the inevitable emotional nature of its characters, at risk of getting overshadowed by the rudimentary elements of the narrative.

It's actually hard to gauge ANT-MAN using the same measure that made the rest of its pack, mammoth and omnipotently powerful. But in its own right, and sub-atomic scale, this microscopic superhero is clearly a power behemoth, and it will surely spring back to its even bigger form, once the Avenger call is delivered.
  • I went into this flick not expecting much. I'm not an Ant Man fan so I was not waiting in anticipation for this as much as I wanted to see Age of Ultron.

The character that Paul Rudd plays in this movie is not the Ant Man I wanted to see, and Micheal Douglas' role as Hank Pym, the original Ant man only made me want to see him dawn the suit even more, cause Micheal Douglas was everything a superhero should be in this movie, Charming, really good dialog, and ready for action.

Overall, Ant Man surprised me. It was one of the more unique superhero movies out. Ant Man did things far beyond just punching and kicking that a lot of superheroes are doing on the big screen and went places no other super hero could go making for an action packed adventure. As cool as Ant Man was when he was regular size beating up the bad guys, was as good as when he was shrunken, riding and controlling ants in a world only he can go to.

The villain Darren Cross was actually pretty good too. Not as good as Loki, but just as psycho.

Once again, not an Ant Man fan but this movie is changing my mind. I'm so impressed with what Paul Rudd did with the character.

Not only that, but it's a great Marvel comic movie, in how it intertwines with the whole Marvel cinematic Universe.

Definitely recommend seeing in 3D cause it's that type of movie that deserves it.
  • Undoubtedly, each of us in childhood had favorite superheroes that we admired. They were in demand and needed, because they always taught a good cause: they clearly demonstrated how to be persistent and strong; how to overcome difficulties and obstacles; To reach heights and conquer new horizons; be able to love and offer a helping hand in a difficult moment; and most importantly - to remain yourself, soul and heart. Such acts and good deeds invariably evoked feelings of pride and enthusiasm, and it was so attractive and tempting that they could not help imitating them - fluttering like a smoke out of everyday everyday life and moving towards a huge peace, in the name of his own salvation. Sometimes it happens that patriotism prevails over soulfulness, and after all the lofty and ambitious, at times haughty and arrogant projects about superheroes, I want to take a break, to look at something that is not burdensome, unconstrained, perhaps even modest and simpler, closer to my liking. Following the loud and sensational "Era of the Altron", the company Marvel, provides just such an opportunity, providing in his universe a place of an Ant-Man, whose name is not so popular and known as other heroes, but nevertheless, it is needed for the purpose of a full set , and also for the completion of the second phase of this very carnival.

The man-ant. In the past, he was Dr. Hank Pym, now - burglar and thief Scott Lang. People do not shout at all, do not shout out his name, they do not sing praises in his honor, but the gifts given by Pim, in particular the reduction in size, clearly stand out Scott on the background of other superheroes, and, of course, find an interesting and fascinating application for themselves. Scott is far from hopeless, like many others, he also has his advantages, in fact skillfully breaks through protective mechanisms. In the same virtuosic way, Marvel draws parallels between the tiny world of the Ant-Man and our ordinary. This is the highlight of the picture, where from a daily routine, such as the running water in the bathroom, the movement of insects, there is a really exciting show that does not get bored, at least because of its novelty and uniqueness. Ants who are a friendly team, attract a lot of attention, manifesting themselves from different sides, and to discover and discover something new and amazing in its own way is always pleasant. Without opposition and struggle, the whole picture does not lining up, so you need an opponent, who is a pupil of Hank Pym - Darren Kross, nicknamed the Yellow Hornet. And yet, it is worth noting that in the picture of Peyton Reed there are no strictly negative characters, there are only people who have lost their way. As a matter of fact, the Cross is the same, and its motives are clear and common, as well as Lang, Pim and others. If the "Man-Ant" and stands out with some ingenuity, then only by that small world, and as to the decoupling of the plot and the characters - they are submitted in the most elementary and uncomplicated manner. Be that as it may, this does not affect the film, which, in addition to its wittyness, wins and due to a good actor's presentation. Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, Evangeline Lilly, together with their characters perfectly in harmony with each other, do not forget Michael Penny, with his funny character and funny gang, which makes a significant proportion of humor, due to his absurdity and absurdity.

If you reproach the "Person-ant", then only for the accelerated rhythm of the narrative, leaving in the end a feeling of unfinishedness and haste. Shortened actions and incompletely developed relationships experience the same sense of conciseness as the "Altron era", but in this case, based on the above aspect, Peyton Read's film turns out to be more advantageous, perhaps because of the lack of trickery and sophistication . In addition to the fantastic, interesting and without exaggeration of the exciting world, the theme of love and family drama is touched upon. Love between the parent and the child, family ties are not just superficial, or for the species, they occupy an important place in the picture, which also gives an impression of a small share of its dramatic and soulfulness. "Person-ant" can be safely called the most real outlet, against the backdrop of great pathos and excessive heroism. The film is light, casual, pleasant, sometimes ironic and funny. He will certainly find his place among other Marvel projects, thereby expanding his cinematic universe even more.
    I am abysmally disappointed in the execution of this film. This film, like it's peers, has all the Hallmarks of a produced-for-the masses, generic, and stereotypical film created for the lowest common denominator. There is no innovation in this film, only mind-numbing clichés that fill the monotonous hours otherwise spent counting the number of in-world errors the films directors manage to commit.

As a cinephile and a resolute fan of super-hero movies and action flicks alike I can forgive a meaningless plot focused once again on a dysfunctional family unit where a well-meaning male protagonist finds himself at odds with a morally bankrupt society, a teary-eyed "I only want the best for our daughter" token mother, and a cliché domineering "replacement father" with a skewed perspective of our hero's motivations. The daughter managed to swim a little higher than the bottom of the barrel but only just enough to reach the "I'm a smart sassy kid with more self-awareness than the adults think and I'll express that with a few endearing one liners" level.

I can forgive the generic antagonist meglomaniac who used to "hold so much promise" until he effectively "turns to the dark side" using his abilities for evil and/or personal gain and in a way designed to convey as much sensitive information about his intentions to his enemies as possible thereby giving them ample opportunity to thwart his every plan. I can look past the incredibly cliché nameless "investors" representing the greed and hunger of a capitalistic world for domination as this amazing, new, and world changing technology is sold to the highest bidder despite the fact that this approach is a clear step below the ability of an motivated antagonist who intends to put their potential to personal use. (Predictably, despite the best efforts of our hero's, our antagonist still finds an opportune time to don his suit to give us our much anticipated climatic battle scene.)

I can even forgive the stereotypical "wizened" scientist with emotional baggage who can never allow his creation to fall into the wrong hands, a son/daughter with resentment and abandonment issues, and, surprise, the mysterious death of their spouse illogically requiring them to lie about the details to "protect" their loved ones until the right "time."

But, in addition to every stereotype, cliché, and generic element of this movie, I am incredibly annoyed at also being expected to lower my intellect to the point where it is assumed I will pay no attention to anything but the most shallow details of a movie so that if/when the producers violate their own in-universe laws I won't care or notice.

Specifically, the suit functions simply by reducing or increasing the distance between atoms of an object. This in turns makes an object more or less dense without altering it's total mass, hence the multiple characterizations of Antman as still weighing and having the strength of a 200 pound man, being able to kill with a single punch, being much faster, stronger, etc. Apparently these details only matter when it's convenient for the producers. As many have already stated, how in the Hell does Antman ride an ant when he is effectively a 200lb man in compact form? If I reduced the earth to the size of a marble I can tie it to my dog but he still won't be dragging it around anytime soon. How is he able to stand on the shoulders of his friends? When he runs he should be exponentially faster, when he struggles to lift things (toy blocks) they should be several times heavier than an object that can be lifted by a 200 pound man or go zinging away like a bullet. The whole purpose of the suit is to reduce the spread of force over a relative area thereby increasing it's overall impact and strength. Think of the Human body like a cannon and the ant suit like a focused laser. Time and time and time again within the movie these in world laws of physics are ignored or turned on and off at whim to suit the needs of a given scene. The enlarged train should have still weighed no more than a toy train, the enlarged ant no more than a normal ant, and the damn tank on the scientists keychain should have been nigh immovable. How in the world is Antman denser upon shrinking and yet a tank appears to weigh about as much as a couple pencils.

Obviously this is a movie. Clearly it isn't meant to simulate the laws of our own universe. However, it's hard to sit back and imagine that either the director and producers are so stupid and profit driven they are unable to take the time to produce something that even appears to try and conform to the rules and expectations given to the audience, or apparently I, as an audience member, am considered so intellectually challenged that I'm expected to focus on the bright lights, cool sounds, and pretty pretty colors at the expense of any clear story-line at all beyond the cliché "oohs" and "aahhs" we all get when our own personal stories and imaginations are confirmed through the lives of these on screen characters.

I will say, I thoroughly enjoyed the film style associated with the token comedic relief characters monologue scenes. They were beautifully executed and I could probably watch hours of them.
  • I think all the people who've written a negative review of this movie because of its apparent "scientific contradictions" are missing the point.

How can people who accept a man turning into a green monster or holes opening in the sky and spitting out an army of hover bike-riding space aliens criticise the science in this film? That's probably the worse case of deluded double standards I've ever witnessed.

No, the REAL problem with this movie is just like any other MCU film. The thunderingly dull expository dialogue, the pantomime characters, the cheap cinematography, the flat and stilted performances, the dramatically compromised script and the infantile tone. And the most insulting aspect is that every single one of these cinematic atrocities spends vast amounts of its running time promising us even more of this trash is still to come.

The problem with Disney and Marvel and the relentless machine they've created is that so much money has been made from this dross that actually MAKING A GOOD MOVIE now seems to be nowhere near the top of their agenda. Another $175m gets spent, it opens, pimply faced kids vomit out their cash for a couple of weeks, then it goes to China, makes more, numbers are counted, accountants smile, Disney smiles, rinse and repeat.

But nobody's making a good movie. And guess what? The studio doesn't care. THEY DON'T NEED TO ANYMORE.

It's time to boycott this insanity. Life's too short and there are so many good films out there that won't make you feel like you've been brain-raped and just lost two perfectly good hours of your life.

Disney be warned. Your days of guaranteed return on these turds is imminent.
  • This movie exceeds all expectations. From a tight and streamlined plot, to outstanding performances from the cast. This isn't a simple comedy. It's a movie with depth and heart. The cast gave great performances from top to bottom keeping the viewer engaged. Paul Rudd is another great choice as lead from the Marvel casting department. Michael Douglas gives a signature performance as Hank Pym, and Evangeline Lilly is another kick-ass female character in the MCU. Oh yeah, Michael Pena stills the show with his comedic timing. The action in this movie is like nothing you've ever seen. And the comedy was on point throughout. The heart of the movie is it's focus on a father's love for his daughter, and what he'd do to show that love and protect her. All in all an amazing release from the House of Mouse.
    Once upon a time, Ant-Man was the Marvel movie to beat. A founding Avenger with less baggage of expectation, Ant-Man allowed the studio increasing danger of collapsing under the titanic weight of their own 'universe-building' a chance to shake things up with something small (ha…), intimate, and quirky. Paired with the eclectic stylistic flair and consummate comedic timing of visionary writer/director Edgar Wright, Ant-Man was primed to become the breath of fresh air in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Alas.

Wright's departure from the project, followed by shady, last minute rewrites, and the hiring of Peyton Reed, best known for helming despicably generic attempts at comedy, didn't bode well. But Marvel's impeccable track record and the inspired casting of Paul Rudd suggested there was still Hope (ha…) an enjoyable romp could be salvaged out of the film's prior potential. Indeed, it's hard not to sneer that the film's theme of "second chances," uttered roughly 1800 times by Michael Douglas with all the subtlety of a children's bedtime story, reads as a meta plea for clemency on behalf of the studio. And yet, even with this growing backlog of worrisome evidence against it, none could have predicted the final product to come.

Ant-Man is, not to mince words, an insultingly poor film.

Inexcusably lazy, under-thought, clichéd, soulless… the list of adjectives is endless. Purportedly structured around a heist narrative, the miserable excuse for a script slaps together a slew of loathsome narrative crutches (released con coaxed into "one last job", disgraced dad trying to win back custody rights to his daughter, emotionally distant genius forced to confront the demons of his past…yawn), glued together with laughably contrived MCU tie-ins (a dire prologue tacked on to remind audiences that Marvel's Agent Carter still exists, an Avengers cameo so embarrassingly out of place I won't dare spoil it here, ugh) in a shamefully textbook example of 'safe studio filmmaking'.

One would imagine that after the rampant success of the eccentric, daring Guardians of the Galaxy Marvel would push the envelope even further into the realm of clever humour and weird levity. Instead, Reed inexplicably stoops to sassy 'comedic relief' side characters that would have felt stale in the 1980s, otherwise leaning on Paul Rudd's indestructibly affable charisma to keep the film afloat. And though Rudd is nearly impossible to dislike, turning on the charm and puppy-dog pathos and mining the abysmal script for laughs like never before, even he can only do so much to save a sinking ship (it's ironic Rudd's Lang makes a Titanic reference…). Running less than two hours and still feeling offensively overlong, Ant-Man plods along at an insomnia-curing pace (Reed may as well have re-titled the film Slug-Man), counterbalancing a stupefying long training montage with terse monologues about morality so repetitive there is a legitimate worry of having entered the simulacrum of Groundhog Day.

The sole consolation: the film's visual effects, while often looking slapdash and rushed, do conjure an ant-sized handful of fascinating imagery. Lang's first shrinking experience into the suddenly desolate wasteland of a bathtub provides a blip of entertainment, and there is brief joy – nay, perhaps even a chuckle or two – to be found in his ant-training escapades (watching him surf through a drainpipe on a skittering carpet of ants is a highlight). Similarly, Lang's accidental descent into the subatomic realm provides a gorgeous feast of Escher- influenced surrealism. But, before you know it, we're back to being pummelled senseless by cliché once again. Sigh.

Speaking of pummelling: despite a surprisingly sound rationalization of the physicality of Ant- Man (small yet compact, "like a bullet"), the film's action sequences are tragically sparse. It's a shame, as the unique size-changing fight choreography offers a few precious where the film momentarily sputters with some life and vigour. Surely a couple of minutes of Michael Douglas' droning could have been shaved off for a few more shots of unorthodox pounding? Ah, but that would require a director with even a skeletal grasp of energy, pace, or vision (ahem). Among the film's immeasurable log of missed opportunities: no Lang entering the human body and attacking from within, and not even a fleeting glimpse of a triumphant Giant-Man transformation (at least one climactic moment provides an ideal setup). And the Wasp? Shamefully, unforgivably absent. All the while, Christophe Beck's musical score bwomps away in the background, the most hackneyed pastiche of heroic musical clichés yet, and there are even a couple of moments where Reed has the gall to attempt to mimic Edgar Wright's trademark kinetic 'swish-pan' editing and cinematography. Rub salt in the gaping wound, why dontcha. The squandered potential on screen is almost too much to bear.

Even the film's generally talented cast is Hopeless (see what I did there? I used the same joke twice. Just like Ant-Man) at providing any respite from the turgid mess surrounding them. Apart from Rudd – and even he starts to seem tired by the end – Michael Douglas snores through the film, his Hank Pym an unmistakably extraneous mentor archetype, while Evangeline Lily continues her Hobbit streak of astoundingly flat 'token action woman' cardboard cutouts. Corey Stoll, saddled with the worst lines the script has to offer (which is saying something), is so embarrassingly cartoonish here it almost overrides his previously impressive work in House of Cards, while poor Michael Peña is forced to constantly mug for increasingly cheap laughs as Lang's fellow ex-con buddy. The worst of the lot: Bobby Canavale's oafish cop/stepdad rival is hilariously out of place, while Judy Greer is given so little screen time as Lang's estranged wife she may as well have played the Invisible Woman.

In conclusion (just to finish beating that dead horse): Edgar Wright once opined that "the only bad films are dull films." Ladies and gentlemen, Ant-Man is a bad film.

-3/10
  • Through this masterpiece, on par with, in my humble opinion, all other Marvel movies currently out in the Avengers Saga, obviously including the side series, Marvel has completely blown me away.

Character development, solid plot, fantastic humour and amazing cast all done flawlessly and did not leave me hoping for more, but rather asking 'When's the sequel coming out?'

With Michael Douglas and Michael Peña, having seen them both in previous movies where their performances are exemplary to say the least, I expect such mastery, but with Paul Rudd, and all the other actors, given this is the first movie in which I ever saw them, I had no idea what to expect. Complete success!

The fighting style of Ant-man is was as I expected since I have some background knowledge of the character, and yet I nonetheless could not have dreamt for such a good combination of just-enough special effects and fantastic actor performances! Ant-man is already brilliantly made, and it only gets more so during the combat scenes, for the ability to shrink and grow at will is something with which, to my great delight, Marvel got very creative, not holding back.

I'm trying to figure out when I can watch it again.
    Went to see "Ant-Man" the other day. I have no idea how it is getting its 4 star rating, the 79% Rotten Tomatoes rating seems about right to me. So I guess you either love it or you hate it.

Me well I only wish I had gone to see Terminator for the 4th time instead. I felt is was a waist of an opportunity.

Way too much time was spent on explaining "Ant-Man" and no enough time was spent on action. And as for the Science well while it might be possible to shrink someone by reducing the space between their molecules. If you make anything larger it would tend to have the effect of turning a solid into a gas. (Wait to the near the end of the movie see what I mean).

The Ant man suite itself turns out to be a very flexible thing it can either be warn by Michael Dogulas aka Dr Hank Pym or Paul Rudd, Scott Lang or his Daughter Evangeline Lilly yes one size Ant-Man suite really does fit all? I only wish my clothing was as flexible as this suite.

I could go on but I will stop there. I would suggest go see it for yourself see what you think but only once Terminator is no longer on in your cinema and if you do not have any children with you that might get easily bored. All if you do decided to go see it do not leave until the very last of the credits have finished or you could quite possibly miss the best thing about this movie. And I do mean the very end of the credits not half way though.
  • Its a shame so much money was spent on so little. I'm not talking about the premise of the movie, a microscopic super hero. No I'm talking about the dismal film, Ant Man, represents.

This film, in spite of its budget and reasonable cast, feels a hell of a lot like a badly made B-Grade flick. The kind that goes straight to television. The acting is hammy and melodramatic, the storyline tedious and formulaic and the action badly timed and somehow, rather awkward and clumsy.

In fairness, this is not easy subject matter to migrate from comic book to big screen. The notion of a super hero who can shrink in size is a tough one requiring very careful handling and timing. The fact the subject matter is tossed around like a football is the reason its such a mess.

My advice, give this one a miss. Two out of ten from me.
  • Ant-Man must have been a challenge for these filmmakers. The preceding films from the Avengers Universe featured an epic roster of out-of-this-world heroes whose names alone make you tinkle a little: IRON MAN, THOR, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY… and then there's Ant-Man. (Womp-womp) While die-hard fans of the comics would recognize Ant-Man as an original member of the ensemble, the general audience may be left to wonder WTF?!

Ant-Man, do you even lift, Bro?

The filmmakers must have been aware of this, considering the tongue-in-cheek treatment of the script. With a screenplay largely penned by Shaun of the Dead legend Edgar Wright, and built upon by other great comedic writers, Joe Cornish (Attack the Bock), Adam McKay (Anchorman), and Ant-Man himself Paul Rudd, Ant-Man does indeed do some heavy lifting, delivering one of the funniest, most entertaining, and visually satisfying superhero movies to date.

The ant super-suit is sick. Red and silver with bulging insectoid eyes, it looks like a modern day motocross version of the Japanese monster slayer Ultraman. As soon as he hits the shrink button, you are sucked into a world so awesome you have no choice but to brace yourself and see where the ride takes you. Stan Lee wanted to make this movie in the 80's but ironically Disney, the production company behind today's Ant-Man, already had a shrinking movie of its own in the works. While "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" was amazing in its time, I couldn't be happier that they waited for the movie effects of today to let Ant- Man zip this way and that, from our world to the minuscule one and back. Coincidentally an ant saved the kids from a giant scorpion in that Rick Moranis classic, and in Ant-Man the ants also play a major role in saving the day. That's right. His power is not only to shrink to the size of an ant, but also to control an army of them. In that respect, this movie is unlike any superhero movie you've ever seen.

The Pym Particle, created by Dr. Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) has the ability to shrink a living human being. Think of the possibilities! Microsurgery, mobility, and of course, warfare! The latter makes Dr. Pym realize just how dangerous this technology really is and he decides to cease research and development altogether. Years pass, and the existence of this technology is reduced to a myth. What Dr. Pym didn't know is that his own assistant Darren Cross (Corey Stoll, House of Cards) had been obsessing over this myth and has been trying to replicate this technology on his own. Stoll has a unique ability to make you sympathize for his character at times, but can also be straight up scary.

Dr. Pym and his daughter Hope (Evangeline Lilly, Lost) know they have to stop Cross but keep butting heads. Hope is a badass, but Pym refuses to let her get involved, which reveals some deeper, more serious daddy issues. Their only hope is Scott Lang (Paul Rudd, my man crush), an ex-convict who was a professional burglar, not a robber because Lang insists that implies physical violence, and he's not about that life. To pull off the job, Lang enlists his original heist crew, played by David Dastmalchian, Rapper T.I., and Michael Peña, who offers some of the most hilarious scenes in the movie. What ensues is an adventure, a comedy, an action movie and a heist rolled into one Little Debbie oatmeal cookie crumb of elephantine excitement and pure elation. If you haven't noticed, I like this movie.

Close friends may say I am biased because it stars Paul Rudd, whom I have been enamored with ever since Clueless. When Cher realized she was in love with Josh, I too realized Paul Rudd is my number one man crush. Let me close this by taking a moment to acknowledge how perfect Paul Rudd is in the role of Scott Lang/Ant-Man. He is a master at self-deprecating humor, as seen in movies like "I Love You, Man" and "Knocked Up" and his role as Mike Hannigan on "Friends." This is a necessity when you see how Ant-Man may have somewhat of a Napoleon Complex when he inevitably has to measure up against the mighty Avengers. Paul Rudd has shown his chops as a dramatic actor in movies like "The Shape of Things" and "Admission," and again here in Ant- Man as an estranged father, who wants nothing more than to spend more time with his daughter Cassie. While elements of his various roles can be seen in Ant-Man this was nothing like anything Paul Rudd has ever done before, and he pulled it off.

His dedication can be seen not only in the moment that reveals his handsomely chiseled abs. In preparation for the role, Paul Rudd bought an ant farm to study. Even after he finished shooting, he decided to keep it. Just when you thought you couldn't fall in love with Paul Rudd any further. On the week the movie was released, Paul Rudd earned a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and deservedly so. Somehow it's not the star that immortalizes him in film history. It's his stellar performance in Ant-Man, the movie that will shrink and find its way into your heart and stay there forever.
  • Okay, enough already! Another formulaic load of old tripe featuring boring, cocksure, dumb and supposedly somehow charming hero blessed with super powers he doesn't deserve and boring us all to death through two turgid hours of special effects and a plot you could write on the back of a postage stamp. (Iron Man, Green Lantern, et al. anybody?) This one thinks it's a bit of a comedy...except the lame jokes are sign posted about a mile away and deserve to be punctuated with a ba-dumb-tish on the snare drum.

Ant Man. A lousy idea and a lousy film. 2 hours of my life I will never get back. And the threat at the end?: "Ant Man will return!" Don't bother!!
  • I do not understand all of the raving reviews this movie has received. Maybe it's because everyone jumps on the Marvel bandwagon and won't believe that they could produce anything this bad. With bad acting, unoriginality, and long stretches of the movie that almost made me fall asleep in the theatre, this was one of the worst movies I have ever paid to see in theatres. Paul Rudd and his group of friends were the only thing that made this movie bearable. This just proves that Marvel can create a steaming pile of sh*t and people will still love it. Just as lil wayne can rap about defecating on a toilet and make millions. My poor expectations from the trailer were met.
    This film was just plain terrible. This was actually the first film that I saw that had Paul Rudd in it. Besides that fact, being that I've enjoyed most other Marvel films, I decided to give Ant-Man a try. This, film, however, was simply not good. Once the film was finished, I actually walked out of the theater somewhat happy knowing that I used a free ticket that I got through my theater's rewards program to go see it. Otherwise, I would've regretted even spending money on it. As a superhero, Ant-Man seems to be one of the weakest links in the Marvel superhero chain, as his only special ability is to shrink to the size of an ant while confusing his enemies of his presence at the same time. Not much of a superpower, if you ask me.

My biggest gripe with this film was that there was WAY too much forced comedy in it. Michael Pena had to be the most annoying person in this film, with his constant carrying on about almost everything, aiming to be funny when in reality, it's just annoying. Quite a few of Paul Rudd's jokes in the film seemed to fall flat, too. The story plot seemed incredibly slow, too, aiming to focus on more of the main character's relationship with his ex-wife and family than anything else. Just when things couldn't get any worse, the biggest head scratcher in the film seemed to be an unnecessary cameo from Falcon, who seemed terribly out of place. The fight with Yellowjacket was lame, too, as it didn't even seem to last that long.

One thing I will mention, though, is how well they managed to make Michael Douglas look about 30 years younger in the beginning of the film. So whoever was in charge there, well done! Moreover, perhaps the funniest part of the film is when an ant is super-sized and was seen walking out of Lang's house. Not only that, but when Lang's daughter Cassie had her toy train (Thomas the Tank Engine) super-sized and then came crashing out of the house onto a police car...that in itself was also moderately amusing. Aside from that, this film wasn't anything to ride home about, and I can only hope that Marvel realizes that by not making a sequel to this...EVER. I'll take The Avengers and Captain America film series over this film any day.
  • Positives:
    • Main cast
    • The humor
    • Musical score
    • Editing

Negatives:
    • Villain
    • Pacing (A few slow scenes)
  • Ant-Man (2015) is my all time favorite MARVEL film it is my fourth favorite MARVEL film the first three are Captain America trilogy that I love to death while this movie stays right behind them. It is a fun and entertaining film and I have really enjoyed it, I don't have any problem with the film and I never really read the comic about Ant-Man, but watching this movie it is really solid super-hero movie. Ant-Man is MILES way better than Deadpool (2016) who get's so much praise for it! It is MILES way better than Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, The Wolverine, X-Men: Days of Future Past, X-Men: Apocalypse and Hulk (2003) those movies really sucked. Ant-Man (2015) is better than those movies that is just my opinion you even have a solid cast. I love that Ant-Man doesn't kill people and when they blow up the building no one is hurt, that makes him a superhero.

I am a big fan of Michael Douglas and he does an excellent job as Hank Pym he was excellent. Paul Rudd as Scott Lang/Ant-Man was incredible. I mostly remember him from Friends when he played Mike, Phoebe's boyfriend and he make the movie with Jennifer Aniston also from Friends) The Object of My Affection (1998) he was terrific in Ant-Man. Evangeline Lilly from Lost and Real Steel is incredible excellent as Hope Pym who is Hank's daughter. Corey Stoll as Darren Cross / Yellowjacket was good at in his acting performance as the villain and last and at least Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson / Falcon was wonderful to see him in this movie I loved it.

Plot: Armed with a super-suit with the astonishing ability to shrink in scale but increase in strength, cat burglar Scott Lang must embrace his inner hero and help his mentor, Dr. Hank Pym, plan and pull off a heist that will save the world.

I love the film because it has a heart and it has a redemption, everyone deserves a second chance. It also has a strong message bonding estrange father and daughter together. Scott Lang is a former systems engineer at VistaCorp and petty criminal who acquires a suit that allows him to shrink in size but increase in strength. The movie is an origin story of the petty crook Scott Lang who comes into contact with a suit and does his best to make good, and then look at someone like Paul Rudd, who can do slightly unsavory things like break into people's houses and still be charming and who you root for and whose redemption you will find satisfaction in. He becomes Ant-Man and he is doing the right things for his daughter. He's ex wife throws him out while her new boyfriend is a cop pursuing Lang, he has one chance to make this right to be in his daughter's life. REDEMPTION.

I have enjoy the visuals effects and the CGI was pretty good creating Ant-Man I didn't mind it. Checked Ant Man out again very fun entertaining comic book movie that didn't use the alien invasion angle, falling buildings or the world is gonna end, just a simple story, great visual effects and likable characters. The Ant-Man/Falcon fight was bad ass and I loved how Ant-Man defeated him. He saved his daughter Cassie and he showed that he is a good father. In the comics he used pills instead of discs to enlarge and shrink things. I think that was a good change they made.

A final battle scene in the daughters bedroom on her Thomas Tank engine train track, imaginative an original and fun. Marvel's latest may not be their greatest achievement but yet another gamble for a character that is less then popular in that Universe. Adding the legendary Michael Douglas to the cast was pure genius much as Robert Redford played along in The Winter Soldier. The overall movie is fun and the execution of performances are fine but Ant-Man doesn't quite have the punch that I was expecting nor rank in the top five of all the Marvel films thus far. However the character should have a few solo efforts in the pipeline not to mention he's be seen in Civil War and most likely the next two Avenger Infinity War movies.

The rating I give to this film is 10/10 it is my favorite MARVEL film I own it on Blu-ray disc and I enjoy it watching it, it is a pretty damn solid good movie at least for me.

Ant-Man is a 2015 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics characters of the same name: Scott Lang and Hank Pym. Produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, it is the twelfth film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). The film was directed by Peyton Reed, with a screenplay by Edgar Wright & Joe Cornish and Adam McKay & Paul Rudd, and stars Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, Corey Stoll, Bobby Cannavale, Michael Peña, Tip "T.I." Harris, Anthony Mackie, Wood Harris, Judy Greer, David Dastmalchian, and Michael Douglas. In Ant-Man, Lang must help defend Pym's Ant-Man shrinking technology and plot a heist with worldwide ramifications.

10/10 Grade: Bad Ass Seal Of Approval Studio: Marvel Studios Starring: Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, Evangeline Lilly, Corey Stoll, Bobby Cannavale, Michael Peña, Tip "T.I." Harris, Anthony Mackie, Wood Harris, Judy Greer, David Dastmalchian Director: Peyton Reed Producer: Kevin Feige Screenplay: Robert Edgar Wright, Joe Cornish, Adam McKay, Paul Rudd Story by Edgar Wright, Joe Cornish Based on Ant-Man by Stan Lee, Larry Lieber, Jack Kirby Rated: PG-13 Running Time: 1Hr. 57 Mins. Budget: $130.000.000 Box Office: $519,445,163
  • Marvel returns to top form after the extremely underwhelming and disappointing 'Avenger's: Age of Ultron' to give us 'Ant-Man'. It is the 12th film in the long running cinematic franchise. A refreshing look at a whole set of new character and a whole new adventure to accompany them.

This for me is without a doubt one of the best MCU films, if not marvel films in general, to come out in recent years. With an intelligently written, charming and HILARIOUS script. WITHOUT a doubt Marvel's funniest movie to date. The dialogue in this movie has Edgar Wright written all over it. There's not a joke that doesn't hit at least one member of the audience. Lines that nobody laughed at I understood the references and found them to be hilarious. It definitely has a style of humour that will cater to all kinds of people. But it isn't a comedy, it's just unbelievably funny, at heart it's a heist film. And a damn good one at that

It never diverted off track as many blockbusters in recent years have done. It was a well told plot, it never really felt convoluted or messy. When one arc was being told it stuck to that one arc and it was clear cut and you always knew what was happening on screen when it was happening. As I've stated in my previous paragraph it's obvious to any one that this was in some parts written and influenced by Edgar Wright.

Some of the coolest and likable characters in the whole of the MCU appear in this movie. Every word that came out of Michael Peña's mouth had me in stitches, he was one of the many highlights of the movie. One of which being Paul Rudd as the titular character. With such charisma and character he graces the screen and the majority of the scenes he's in, well, any scene without Peña that is. Having such a likable person play a very down on his luck guy who's just trying to turn his life around and be a better father to his daughter really adds to the sympathy you feel for the character. And makes you want him to succeed.

I liked how they stuck to the mythos of Scott Lang, having him be a thief and a crook, having him steal the suit from Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) was straight out of the comics. Unlike with Tony creating Ultron instead of Pym. It's definitely one of the most 'close to the source material' marvel films to be released which is something admirable in itself. All the little details like having the daughter of Hank, Hope, added into the mix. The story of how Janet died wasn't exactly accurate but it worked perfectly with the story. It seemed like a good way of going about it, it added emotion and depth to the characters to make you care for them more. To which the critics say there was no emotional weight, but when you have likable characters in a movie played by likable people and a well written script to go along, you definitely start to feel sympathy for them in a way that it doesn't feel shoehorned in. Unlike again, the Black Widow and Bruce Banner love interest or the death of a certain character. It isn't forced in there out of the blue to make you care how they end up. You care because of how well they're written. You may feel like in nitpicking and bashing Age of Ultron but I'm not, these little detours have a reason. That reason is the right and wrong way to do it. And this was definitely the right way.

The villain: He wasn't top tear MCU villain like, in my opinion Loki and, who else? Nope just him. He wasn't in it a huge deal. He wasn't really fleshed out, but I could see from the trailers that he wasn't really going to be. He showed emotion and reasoning that could seem justifiable to some. But he never had a just cause, the story of why he was doing what he was doing wasn't really explained. He just seemed angry at Hank for tossing him aside. It felt in a way like a good old fashion revenge story but with a slightly different agenda more than it did anything else. He could have been a little more developed, but it's marvel, what can you do? He was menacing and Corey Stoll portrayed him quite well considering what he was given.

I think another thing I liked about this movie was it's use of CGI and special effects. It wasn't overbearing like in *Cough* Age of Ultron *cough*, sorry. It was well used, it was easy on the eyes and not shoved right in your face like he whom shall not be named. It was just the right amount. The action scenes are great, there's levels of threat that you feel. You feel kind of suspenseful, not much but it's definitely there. The parts where the main characters were in peril weren't as life threatening as they maybe could have been. But these are minor if not unnoticeable discrepancies.

All in all 'Ant-Man' is a SUPER FUN MOVIE, I had a ball with this film. I was in hysterics as the humour hit a good 90% of the time. Action is realistic and believable and the villain while not very fleshed out was threatening on screen. This movie is, as Jeremy Jahns would put it.

AWESOMETACULAR!!
  • Ant-Man has been through a very long development, it was started with Edgar Wright committing to write and direct the film, but years went by and Marvel finally has a studio of its own, manipulations do compromise Wright's vision which lead him leaving the project. In spite of that issue, the film spares much of his screenplay as it still has his trademarks all over the place. While it's delightful to notice those sequences being left intact, there is still a dejected feeling of what it could have been if he actually handled it entirely. For now, most of the style is basic Marvel. As a movie itself, it's quite refreshing to see a superhero film that doesn't contain much heavy handed explosions compared to the last few films they gave us. And it's a good reminder that joy can still be found in this genre even at its smaller scale, thanks to its engaging cast and downright appealing personality.

The movie doesn't involve stopping some mass destruction or a general build up for future installments (the reference still exists, but isn't exactly the priority.) People may brag about this as going back to the basic mold of origin stories where you see outcasts living in a city having unexpected fate of becoming a superhero. The difference however is the premise is a lot sillier that is taken with vast self-awareness through that concept. The entirety is basically a mix between family drama and smart comedy. The comedic side is where it thoroughly shines, the film finding energy through its visuals and each actor's charisma. The drama on the other hand is basically to establish the character's pathos through their backstories. It's not quite subtle, but fits enough to breathe after a set of sillier spectacles.

The major plot is basically just a heist, except the main character has the ability to alter his own scale while spectators and their enemies are constantly being flummoxed about what exactly is happening. It's simple, but there is so much going on and yet it is made easily exciting by its own personality and crazier imaginations, you can identify that most of the creativity came from Wright's idea. How the movie recreates his style from the script is fine and it's admirable to retain the same quirk and energy from the vision at some points. At the other scenes, it's typical Marvel flare, and as said, it looks cool, but it's more remarkable at the less conventional turns.

Paul Rudd brings real charisma and some depth to Scott Lang, keeping him from being a generic anti-hero. Michael Douglas establishes actual depth within Hank Pym in a lot of moments. Corey Stoll embraces his almost unbelievably inhumane role, which strangely makes it an effectively menacing villain. Evangeline Lilly appears to be more than a love interest and that is alright. Michael Peña steals all of his scenes, which a role that could have been just another comic-relief, he makes all of his character's greatest comedic moments remarkably delightful.

It's still quite inevitable to keep bringing up the supposed-to-be helmer of Ant-Man, because his fingerprints are really there, while it's actually nice to see it hinting every once in a while, it also feels somewhat exasperating for what daring opportunity it could have been. We'll never know the answer. Still, Ant-Man brings a sheer amount of fun. It's filled with comicbook enthusiasm and memorable laughs that appropriately sticks through its actually preposterous property. The cast helps bringing all of it to life, from levity to gravity. The action is executed with affecting weirdness. Ant-Man is best when it's weirder, because that is where it speaks its own flavor.