User Reviews (92)

• The film opens in Chinatown San Francisco, 1898 where we five exotic virgins from the Celestial Empire are bought by Captain Billy Fender (James Russo) to be sold as slaves and introduced into the brief and violent life of prostitution…

Robert Duvall stars as "Print" Ritter, an old cowhand whose sister left a will inheriting all to him rather than to her own son, Tom Harte (Thomas Haden Church) who lives in John Day Country Oregon...

Print ignores why she has done it, or why was crossed between the two, but his sister done it…

Print got the idea to buy a team of tough, high-desert mustangs—three to eight years of age—to take them to Sheridan, Wyoming to sell to the British Empire; the money they'll earn will be to increase their capital… And on the shares, Print figures a 25-75 split on profits after expenses and loan repayment to the bank…

From this point, Hill's Western becomes a road movie, with all kinds of odd characters, from ugly villains to a friendly musician, but the key to "Broken Trail" is that through a series of circumstances, fate has placed the five Chinese innocent girls in the hands of Tom and his uncle… But the reality is another… Their families sold them to that rat captain heading out to the mining camp, where Kate, an odious saloon owner, bought them from an associate in San Francisco…

Our two cowboys save the girls' lives from rape and take them along on their journey…

With great photography, gorgeous vistas, perilous ground, sensible brave girls, good and decidedly courageous men, great action when it is necessary, and a big confrontation at the climax of the movie, Hill's Western is a must see film for the fans of the genre
  • Watching AMC's Western miniseries Broken Trail is similar to reading a compelling novel - the beauty's in the details. Rather than rushing story and character development in order to get to the next action scene (so as to appease those with Attention Span Deficit Syndrome), Broken Trail understands that the mark of a really good Western lies with interesting, colorful characters and a storytelling style that convinces you to keep watching.

I've always been a fan of Westerns and always will be; that's why it's so disappointing that today's movie/TV landscape doesn't seem to have the time, money, or patience to do the genre right. Hopefully, Broken Trail is just the beginning of a reversal to this trend.

If you're a fan of Western epics in the vein of Lonesome Dove then I strongly suggest you check out Broken Trail. The story is a little unconventional as far as Westerns go, but you know what? It works. And it works well.

I was initially curious how captivated I would be by watching two men accompany five Chinese girls across the Western wilderness, but rather than focusing on the concept, this is all about the journey and the adventures and characters that are encountered along the way. Church proves himself quite a versatile actor (how far has he come since Wings?), and Duvall puts in the type of effortless performance that I could watch him deliver every week. He's not unlike Augustus McCrae, but what does it matter? He plays the character flawlessly. Here's a tip - never doubt a Western that Duvall is attached to.

Moving at a smooth, campfire pace, Broken Trail presents characters you'll care about, conflicts you'll want to see resolved, cinematography that will convince you to take a trip out West, and enough Western justice to keep the die-hard fans of action content. Just keep in mind that the shootouts aren't thrown in for the mere sake of satisfying those who demand violence in their Westerns. All the gunplay comes as a necessity to the story and is allowed to happen exactly when it needs to. It's never forced for the sake of hurrying things along.

This is a miniseries that is reason enough alone to justify your cable or satellite bill, and we can only hope that enough viewers tune in to influence more quality programming like this in the future.
  • How does an honest man make his way in a corrupt world? Walter Hill has been investigating this question since his days as a screenwriter, with a couple of stopovers in Dashiell Hammett country (his dauntingly unsuccessful version of Hammet's RED HARVEST, filmed as LAST MAN STANDING), comedies (48 HOURS), but here, in this leisurely western, he has found a perfect vehicle for this problem, and the right actor for the role in the ever-watchable Robert Duvall. And the answer is that you wind up accumulating a pack of people as wounded as yourself, ducking your head against the storm and slogging on through: a nephew estranged from his mother, your sister, a Virginian who can't stop traveling, five Chinese virgins intended for a mining camp's whorehouse... the list goes on. In the midst of a beautiful land -- the magnificent Canadian plains, west of Calgary where they rise to the Rockies -- they slog on, doing their best.

To what end? When death and violence surround you, then the wise man comes to recognize that the effort is all he can offer.

It is a pleasure to watch canny old pro Duvall at work, and to watch Thomas Haden Church, as his nephew, play off against him. And the beauty of moving horses across the Canadian plains is the revival of a seemingly lost art; the westerns, once the myth of America and bedrock of the film industry, are now an occasional production from people nostalgic for the form. But their nostalgia is suffused with a strong sense of film-making and this mini-series should not be missed.
  • I gave this 10 stars.

Both parts of this 2 part mini series deserve 10 stars. It was an extremely well done film.

I got the impression at the end of the film that this was based on real people and their experiences, which I had no idea was the case when I began watching it.

Robert Duval as Print Ritter carries the film, although all of the performers did good jobs.

The storyline was fresh, original and interesting, something I see so seldom these days, it really made it stand out. Another thing that made this stand out from the usual garbage that passes for entertainment in film these days - was the heroes really were heroes. These men were brave and did the right thing. They had values and ethics.

The story revolves around Print Ritter (Robert Duval) and his nephew Will, I think was his name, (and sorry but I didn't know who any of the actors were except for Duval)driving a herd of horses north to sell.

They end up with people they didn't count on being along for the trip--4 or 5 young Chinese girls, who do not speak a word of English, a fiddle player, and a couple of other people who join the group later in the story.

The Chinese girls are very young, the oldest might be 18. They have been sold by their parents and sent to America where they will be forced into prostitution.

None of the 4 men who eventually travel with the girls and protect them, try to take advantage of them, and the two romances in the story, are kept low-key.

The bad guys in the film are just that - they're wicked through and through. No explanation or psycho-analysis given or needed. This picture is getting back to the basics of the American western, good vs. evil.

There's gunfire when needed, confrontations when needed, and great characterizations, as our group journeys along and encounters various people and adventures.

And yes, there's even a plot! Another element I've discovering missing all too often in films of late.
  • A good Western is a treat, like comfort food for the soul. Robert Duvall is a favorite of mine, and he is wonderful in this movie, as always, but the surprise factor here is Thomas Haden Church, who I remember as a Mechanic in the sitcom, Wings. Watching him playing a 19th century cowboy in this project, well,- he seems made for the part: serious, soft-spoken, and a little too lean from trying to eke out a living in tough times. Wonderful! I hope to see more of him in the future.

The scenery is as beautiful as I expected, and I don't care that it was shot in Canada instead of the U.S. I do wish there had been a little more emphasis on the horses, though. The promos advertised the movie as being about a horse drive, but that was only a premise for the other story lines. They were supposed to be herding 300 to 500 horses, but it sure didn't look like that many to me. But, I guess I'm getting pretty picky there. It was satisfying to watch, regardless of whether there were hundreds of horses, or only about 75, as it looked like to me.

There is one scene in the movie that is almost a reverse "Man from Snowy River"-type scene, where they herd their horses UP a steep hill, and that was interesting. I'm not actually comparing the riding in this movie to the incomparable Charlie Lovick's downhill riding in the most famous scene from Snowy River, but it did bring that movie to mind.

If you like western movies, you'll like this mini series, and it might spark an interest in a part of our American history that is not particularly well known,- the Chinese immigration during the gold rush of the 1800s.
  • As a Chinese-American, I had no doubt I would schedule my life around the two nights BROKEN TRAIL was airing. Having seen part 2 last night, I am still reeling from the beauty of the backdrop, the vastness and the loneliness--something I remember from the film, A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT, which was also in Wyoming I believe and definitely featured fly fishing but I digress.

Robert Duvall said in an interview on CBS' Sunday Morning that BROKEN TRAIL represented the finale to his western trilogy (Lonesome Dove, Open Range and now Broken Trail) and that's sad but what a body of work he's left us and countless generations to enjoy! I loved the economy of language because that's how I imagine life was among men in those days. The leisurely pace of the film might have pulled the story down but not in this case. I applaud AMC for going forward with this production and the minimal intrusion of commercials. I truly hope this comes out on DVD because I know I will have to have it. I found the casting to be perfect and disagree with the reviewer who lamented the exclusion of Tom Selleck or Keith Carradine among others. The familiarity I felt for Robert Duvall and Thomas Haden Church was enough without being overwhelming--they just seemed to lend honesty and truth to their performances--more known actors weren't needed. I appreciated the fact this wasn't a cast of thousands, although there were suppose to be 500 horses or so...

My final comment to all who enjoyed this mini-series and to those who did not know much of the Chinese who came to the 'Golden Mountain' in the 1800's--please look for Ruthanne Lum McCunn's book, "THOUSAND PIECES OF GOLD" which is based on a true story (I'm still not sure if Broken Trail is, although I believe the writer was somewhat influenced by this book since there are common threads i.e. Chinese girls sold into prostitution and setting roots in far flung states--Idaho in the book and Wyoming in the mini-series). THOUSAND PIECES...has also been made into a film but is not as good as BROKEN TRAIL.

I can't wait for AMC to show repeat airings--for any of you who didn't get a chance--WATCH IT!!!
  • I can only hope they someone keeps making Westerns because the few that have been made the last few years have been outstanding. This one, a TV miniseries, is just great. I can't enough good things about it. I saw it recently on DVD. It was a three-hour film. I thought I read somewhere that it was four hours, so I don't know if this version has been down. I only know what I saw, and I liked about everything I saw.

Looking at the IMDb reviews here before making a rental helped me out a lot. It prepared me for a slower film. In other words, I knew what to expect.....and that helped. I didn't expect a rough film with a ton of violence and nasty characters, language, etc.

What surprised me was just how interesting a film this was for being three hours long and not having a lot of action. I attribute this to the dialog, the acting, characters you care about and the wonderful cinematography. It's hard to beat the scenery in a nicely-filmed western.

The words coming out of the two stars of the picture, Robert Duvall and Thomas Haden Church were extremely believable material. These guys were tough, but not abrasively- macho, compassionate but not sappy. As "Prentice Ritter" and "Tom Harte," respectively, they fascinating to watch. I liked what they said throughout the movie and they were extremely believable characters. They looked and talked the part.

This story is different because it's mainly about helping five young Chinese women, who are destined for prostitution, slavery and who knows what else. Ritter and Harte didn't volunteer for the job; it accidentally came upon them as they were escorting horses North for a nice payday. The two men showed wonderful compassion for these girls, despite the fact they slowed their mission down and had a problem with communication.

There has to be some villains in a western and we have them here with "Big Rump Kate" and others but they are not overblown and we don't see so much of them they they get annoying. For a Walter Hill film, this was astonishing in how low-key it was told.

We also get a bit of a romance, just a glimpse between Duvall's character and one played by Greta Scacchi ("Nola Johns"). It has a different kind of ending to it, one I didn't expect and one that will emotionally affect you.

It simple terms: this is a nice movie, a good story about good guys doing a good deed for the right reasons. Watching them do it, under adverse conditions, was almost a privilege. A big thank you to all involved with this movie and giving us fans of this genre hope that it isn't completely dead.
  • sprins26 June 2006
    great
    Just finished watching part two. Great story. I can not wait to read the book. Both Duvall and Church brought so much to their characters and the story. I really hope that the "great west " was settled by men like these. Men who were not afraid to do the right thing. Men who showed courage, morals, kindness, and stood up to those who would bring harm and injustice to the innocent. . The kind of men that I would consider it an honor to "ride" with. I could not help sharing in the pain and confusion that the girls felt. I feel ashamed as a man to know that we treated innocent women that way and still do. I am glad the story ended as it did. Duvall's character showed that he could be tough as nails but still have a heart when it came to the girls. Church's character showed true grit and also had a soft side that he could not hide. Overall it was a truly great story brought to life by two men who did an excellent job portraying their characters.
  • "Broken Trail", a dream project for producer/star Robert Duvall, and AMC's first original film, is the spiritual heir to Kevin Costner's 2003 "Open Range" (also starring Duvall), and one of the most moving, involving Westerns of recent years.

With a charismatic, extremely effective performance by Thomas Haden Church, as Duvall's long-estranged nephew, the film is one of only a handful of Westerns that combine epic sweep, superb characterization, and an understanding of the 'Real West', without shortchanging decency, or respect of an individual's worth. The era was hard, justice could be swift and brutal, and Duvall, as aging but upright Prentice Ritter, lives by his own rules; to protect the helpless in his care, to respect others, and to be unafraid to resort to violence, if necessary. Tom Harte (Church), despite some family history problems with his uncle, lives by the same code, and the two men, driving a herd of horses from Oregon to Wyoming to raise cash for a ranch, become the 'saviors' of five young Chinese women, sold into prostitution, who inadvertently fall into their hands.

These are good men, in a jaded world, and their journey picks up other 'strays', as well as the women; young Virginian fiddler Heck Gilpin (an engaging Scott Cooper), is rescued by Tom in a saloon; aging Chinese laborer Lung Hay (Donald Fong), and careworn prostitute Nola John (the wonderful Greta Scacchi) join the group after Tom saves the Chinese women from rapists, in a boarding house/bordello. While neither Ritter and Harte were overjoyed at the strange direction the drive was taking, they would not allow harm to fall on 'innocents', and the group bonds into a warm 'family', with Nola and Ritter finding a mature attraction between each other, and Tom and Sun Foy/#3 (Gwendoline Yeo, who speaks only Mandarin, in the film), gently falling in love.

Danger is never far behind them, however, as brutal ex-con 'Big Ears' (Chris Mulkey), with a score to settle with Nola, and a 'contract' to return the Chinese women to whorehouse owner Kate 'Big Rump' Becker (Rusty Schwimmer), trails them, leading a gang of killers...

While the film is long (240 minutes), director Walter Hill, an old hand at Westerns (his "The Long Riders" is one of my favorites), keeps the story constantly engrossing, and Duvall and Church have a warmth and authenticity as the characters that will stay with you, long after the movie ends.

Shot in the Canadian Rockies, "Broken Trail" combines grandeur and intimacy seamlessly, has moments of great humor to lighten the drama, explosive action, and a bittersweet sense of nostalgia...

It is, simply, superb!
    One of the best westerns I've seen in YEARS! Thomas Haden Church FINALLY loses his goofy comedy persona and shows that he can be tough, and if necessary brutal, in how he deals with villains. (Hint, he is good both with a gun and a rope). I will state right here that Church is the FIRST actor in ANY western that I have seen (and I've seen a LOT, ranging from William S. Hart's silents, through "Tombstone," "Open Range" and other modern westerns) to actually "throw down" when he uses his pistol in Part 2's climactic gunfight. Watch how he holds his Peacemaker, and steadies it for aim....SOMEONE did some research, and it paid off!

Robert Duvall's character of Print Ritter ranks up there with Gus MacCrae and "Boss" Spearman. It's a pity he hasn't been in more westerns, because the role of frontier authority figure suits him to a "T". The kindness, as well as hardness, he displays (watch how he deals with a trader who sells smallpox infected blankets to Indians....excellently done!) is classic Duvall. His character is tough, but human and you can see the fatherly love he has for all those girls. The attraction Print has for Nola is also well played. Duvall is absolutely perfect at playing the hero who is human.

The story is a mix of truth and fiction, (based loosely on a horse drive to Nebraska's Haythorn Ranch) and is expertly directed by Walter Hill. The Canadian scenery is beautiful, but is a minor distraction from the overall excellence of this movie.

I've been to eastern Oregon, and much of it is high desert, as is southern Idaho and the other locales of this movie. It's country as beautiful as any, but it's a harsh....stark kind of a beauty, and would fit the tone of this story much better. However, the setting works, and the set representing Caribou, ID has a seedy, sleazy boomtown look to it that captures the look and feel of late 19th Century mining camps just right. Strangely enough, some of the towns in modern day northern Nevada have that same rough feel....but without the sleaze. The feeling of the frontier is alive in those towns, and the feel is captured quite well by the set designer for "Broken Trail."

One complaint I do have is why can't SOMEONE NOT have actors ride modern saddles in westerns?????? As much as I like Church's wood-post horned Wade saddle, and Duvall's swell forked rig, those are very obviously modern buckaroo saddles, not the Taylor and Homestead trees that would have been common in the 1890s.

Other than that point, I have no problems at all with "Broken Trail".

The actresses playing the Chinese girls are all appropriately pretty.....Greta Scaachi is attractive, even as disheveled as she looks in this movie. In short, this is a western that works!

Now if only Hollywood would grasp the fact that LOTS of us love westerns and want more of them.....
  • born_tomd26 June 2006
    As a fan of modern as well as "oldies" style westerns, I was impressed with they layout of this mini-series. The trail drive was only a vehicle in which to tell the story, not hours of it to kill time. Excellent in my book, exquisite scenery, as well as keeps one attention so as not to miss a single scene. The previews drew my attention at first, but the lead actors convinced my wife and I to make plans to see this two-part miniseries. We wanted to see the first part to see if we would give up other interests, which we were glad we did. All in all this mini-series kept our attention focused, but was not without a bit of violence, and slight bit of adult subject matter. But no nudity, and little if any harsh language, which was a relief. Enjoy it I did.
  • Whoever said the Great American Western is dead must NOT have seen this mini-series OR has never loved Western Movies in the first place! Not since Open Range and Tombstone have I seen a movie of this caliber! (So sorry, I could not help the pun!) I must admit overall, I was much more familiar with Duvall's previous film work than Church's, but BOTH men bring their characters to life very vividly! An added benefit to this excellent mini-series is that just by watching, one learns just a taste of what life was like in the West in the late 1800's. By the way, I bet John Ford and John Wayne would be proud of this, one of the newest additions to the Great American Western genre! Go watch it sometime--it's well worth your time!
  • As a Wyoming native who lives in Oregon I've traveled some of the country that this drive is supposed to travel through. Had I not known this was filmed in Canada I would have said it resembled the Snake River country of Wyoming. It was beautiful to watch.

The writer used accurate place names and family names of people who live in Wyoming. The story is historically plausible and has accurate details (Sheridan has a British history of cattle and horse business and the Chinese were a strong influence on the west in the 1880's though their history has been all but erased in ensuing years). I was impressed with the details!

It is always a treat to see Robert Duvall as a cowboy. This reminds me a lot of "Lonesome Dove." His chemistry with the Chinese actresses and with Thomas Haydn Church was evident. Good stuff!
  • mschrock26 June 2006
    If you're looking for a good view of the old West, this movie is well worth your time.

Great storyline, great acting, and fantastic scenery.

Duvall seems to be timeless, as always, this time in a story that's all about time. Thomas Haden Church adds his best performance ever, showing he's ready for more serious roles.

The plot develops with a made-for-TV pace, which on occasion doesn't develop a scene as deeply as it could, but it does not fail to develop the characters to a fine pitch.

On balance, it's the characters and the fantastic western setting which make this a western that should stand time.

I'll enjoy watching it again in a few years.
  • When I first saw this advertised on AMC I knew I was going to watch because of Robert Duvall. While the character of Print Ritter was almost a carbon copy of Gus McCrea from Lonesome Dove, Duvall was still a thrill to watch. He reminds me of the old time movie cowboys although dressed more authentically then they ever did. But he stood for justice in Lonesome Dove and also in Broken Trail. And he did this while minding his own business - he never sought out the confrontations. These were men doing what men had to do and Duvall epitomizes that character.

Thomas Haden Church was excellent as Tom Harte. I had never seen him in anything except "Wings" but he makes an excellent cowboy. And he and Duvall played well off each other.

I also got the impression this story was based on real people and real events.

The only thing that would have made this movie any better would have been including Tom Selleck, Sam Elliot and Keith Carradine in the cast. But Broken Trail was great as it was and I believe will become a classic.
  • The film starts in 1898 , Ritter (Robert Duvall) a veteran cowboy sees declining the ending days of Wild West era and the transition to a new century . Ritter along with his estranged nephew Tom (Thomas Haden Church), and another cowboy (Scott Cooper) transport a herd of horses across the northern , when save five Chinese girls kidnapped by a villain (James Russo). As Ritter along with Tom Harte become the reluctant guardians of five abused and abandoned Chinese girls . The local madame (Rusty Schwimmer) sends a gunfighter (Chris Mulkey) to chase the girls for her own aims . Print Ritter and Harte's attempts to care for the Chinese are complicated by their responsibility to deliver a herd while avoiding a group of enemies intent on kidnapping the girls for their own objectives .

This melancholic picture is acclaimed like one of the best Western TV of the last years with several prizes and various nominations for Gloden Globe . It's an excellent Western with adventures , noisy action , shootouts , breathtaking scenarios ; but also melancholy , friendship , unlovable camaraderie and emotionalism . The movie was shot in Calgary, Alberta, Canada location with marvellous outdoors . Sensitive and moving Western where cowboys must say goodbye to the lives they know and undergo an extraordinary and dangerous travel . Great acting for all casting with magnificent main roles by Duvall and Haden Church . Special mention to Greta Scacchi as an aging prostitute who falls in love . Gorgeous landscapes , reflecting wonderfully the wide open spaces, they are splendidly photographed by Lloyd Ahern II , Hill's usual cameraman . The movie follows the wake the last Television Westerns starred by Sam Elliot or Tom Selleck, such as ¨Monte Walsh¨, ¨Crossfire trail¨ and ¨Quigley Down Under¨. The motion picture was well directed by Walter Hill , a Western expert , such as he proved in ¨Geronimo¨, ¨Will Bill¨ and ¨Long riders¨. Rating : Better than average for the proficient film-making . It's a magnificent movie , and an unforgettable , unchallenged classic TV western.
  • If you're looking for something that will grab your very heart and soul, Broken Trail is the one for you. The scenery is breathtaking, the acting is mesmerizing, and the story-line is totally convincing.

Be warned the depiction of humanity's brutalities is very real and harsh in this film. Uncle Print (Robert Duvall) and Nephew Tom (Thomas Haden Church) are not men who talk their way out of difficult situations with clever words, or superheroes who dodge bullets and take out the bad guys with a carefully place sharp-shot. They are men living in a corrupt world, and fighting for justice the only way they know how.

If you are a western lover like me, you won't want to miss this one.
  • prandolph200127 June 2006
    I believe that Robert Duvall has outdone himself in this movie - what a display of extraordinary acting ability. I don't know if there is even an award for a movie such as this, but if there is, it should be his hands down. And Thomas Church is not far behind. Duvall's acting out-ranks that of Lonesome Dove. This is a GREAT movie - I hope that it comes out in DVD - it is a national treasure. The fact that it is a true story makes it even more engaging and enjoyable. "Broken Trail" is of the same genre as "Hidalgo" -exposing the truth - the good and virtue - of the west that we rarely see. I would recommend this movie to anyone who a) enjoys Robert Duvall and b) to anyone who loves the lore and values of the American West.
  • My husband and I enjoyed " Broken Trail" so very much. In fact we can not think of a thing that was wrong with it. All of the actors were wonderful and did great jobs, it is like each actor was really that person. The scenery was breathtaking. The sound and the music could not have been better. We had the feeling that we were right there in the thick of it all, so realistic, so authentic, just a wonderful movie. We like Western movies and wondered why they do not make more Westerns than they do. So we were very glad to have this wonderful movie to watch. Now we are looking forward to more of these movies being made. We would like to buy the DVD or video of this movie, so that we would be able to watch it again. Many thanks to all who made such a wonderful movie.

Billie Jean and Jerry Steinbach
  • The Big Screen's loss is television's gain. Originally intended to be a movie and based on a true story, it's an inspiration to watch. With all the blood and guts to hold the attention of teens, it still has pauses enough to let you see "inside" the characters' heads and hearts. It is presented in two parts.. I found myself chomping at the bit to see the second half. Beautiful photography and a Big Screen-worthy soundtrack enhance this tale of morality in the Old West. It was so refreshing to see heroes who live by a true code of ethics, doing right simply because it was the right thing to do, no matter the grit and grime their lives thrust them into. It was all the more impressive when you realize it was inspired by a true story. Robert Duvall and Thomas Haden Church both provide outstanding performances!
  • elbin87828 June 2006
    I really, really loved this movie. All of the major actors were excellent, but most especially so were Duvall and Thomas Haden Church. In fact, Church's performance stood out the most for me - just the right amount of understatement to make his character very believable. Of course, Duvall is excellent in whatever he does, but he is at his best in westerns, I think.

The cinematography was truly magnificent. Would have played very well on the big screen too.

If you missed this the first time around, be sure to catch it if AMC shows it again. You won't be disappointed, particularly if you are a fan of westerns.

I only wish Hollywood would film more westerns of such quality for us to enjoy.

Kudos to all involved in this wonderful film!!!
  • Director Hill and Actor Robert Duvall collaborate to bring to the TV screen, an epic western. Duvall, no stranger to cattle/horse drives (Lonesome Dove) steals the show with his inherent ability to depict a turn of the century trail boss. We are treated to superior production values, great cinematography as Duvall and his cowboys move 500 head of beautiful horses northwest and encounter love, villainy and danger during their sojourn. Duvall's animated movements and true western rhetoric leave you anxiously waiting for the next scene. The entire cast works hard to bring realism and believability to an excellent script. Although "Lonesome Dove" has been the standard for TV westerns since the 80's, you will find this presentation at a level commensurate with top shelf western productions.
    It's hard to not like anything Western that Duvall stars in, such as "Open Range" and "Lonesome Dove." But this one is maybe the best yet, since it's based on some good historical authenticity, such as the horse drive that was real, "Smallpox Bob," and the lives of many Chinese girls sold into prostitution and slavery back then. The scenery alone makes this one a must when the DVC becomes available. And the other actors all did great work in this. Let's hope AMC does more of these in the future. But now I have to keep adding to this just in order to qualify for a comment to be submitted. So that is done now.

Dave
  • In the spirit of "Lonesome Dove", this movie portrays a variety of characters in realistic situations, not just a "shoot 'em up" Western. Beautifully filmed in outstanding locations. The Western gear and the handling of the horses in the movie is the best I have seen. I love the relationship between the character played by Duvall and his nephew, as it is not perfect, but it works. This movie would be enjoyable to everyone, even those who never were a "Western" fan. And, I enjoy the fact that it is based on true events in Western History. I feel it really sticks to the story line, the story is engaging, and is made quite believable by the excellent job done by the actors.
  • Lfdubin26 June 2006
    Great movie, great actors, great cinematography. Sad tale of how pitiful and rough life remained in the West even up until the beginning of the 20th century. Duvall at his finest. Supporting cast was great. At times it was a little difficult to understand some of the dialog, but still quite a film. This movie should have been shown on the big screen, it would have been really something, especially the scenes involving the herding of the horses. The tale even though based in the not so old West, hit on many contemporary issues including man's inhumanity to man, women's "rights" (not many at the time), and the importance of family.