User Reviews (53)

• This show isn't like those other try-to-make-it-look-real-but-fail-miserably type of shows. It really makes it look real. I really hope discovery channel lets it have a long run. it's got me hooked. Not to mention the fact that the show scares the crap out of me most of the time.

Honestly, the discovery channel has made a good decision airing this. The narrator really has a voice that sounds, well, i don't want to say creep, but serious. Suitable for the show. I can't believe this is the first comment for this show. It's outstanding. New episodes start airing March 17. I will be watching. And so should you, especially if you love these paranormal type of shows.
  • My wife and I have found this show "A Haunting" to be very entertaining and shows what many people have been through. While some of the shows may appear to be strange and some of the characters might appear to be different, just think how it would affect you to live through some of these events as they are. They have endured situations that most of you would not be able to handle yourselves. I hope that this show continues to put out new episodes. Of the episodes we liked are, "Fear House", "Hidden Terror", "Unleashed", "Gateway to Hell" (which was about a nightclub that was owned by Bobby Mackey. the country musician), "A Haunting in Ireland" and "Darkness Follows". Discovery Channel has a winner with this show. Keep up the good work.
  • I love paranormal programs, but not just any programs, as some don't have experts on the matter nor the sufficient research before airing. What I have enjoyed about "A HAUNTING" has been the narrator's voice, the fact that it deals with well-documented cases (I was familiar with some cases such as the one based on the book "In A Dark Place," although the names were changed on TV), the interviews with the actual people involved (including many reputable experts and investigators), and the realistic dramatizations. The show doesn't poke fun at the subject, nor does it exaggerate and over dramatize the events. The show simply represents the facts (as given), is non-biased, and allows the viewer to form their own opinions. The music is effective too. I really enjoyed some of the two-hour specials they had on a couple of years ago. Hopefully, there will be enough viewers to get the keep the program on the air.
  • 'A Haunting' sounds like it has the right ingredients for a great show about the paranormal; demonic possessions, haunted houses, angry spirits, dramatisation of events and true accounts of the paranormal. With all that said, 'A Haunting' fails.

Whilst, I have no problem with stories revolving around Christians, this show veers too much towards Fundamentalist propaganda. Not only are the characters usually Christian but other religions are portrayed as bad if the Fundamentalist movements deems them to be Satanic. A case in point is the episode 'Spellbound' where Wicca is portrayed as dangerous and Satanic. This is problematic as Wicca, whilst I do not agree with it, and heathenism in general are religions in their own right. If Christianity was portrayed as negative then there would be controversy. You could never make an episode based around the claim that the god YHWH/Ha'El is actually an evil demon who haunts the world. This is utter hypocrisy and very insulting to followers of Wicca.

There are some good points about the series, though. Some of the cast is surprisingly good (the Daoist priest in 'Hungry Ghosts' comes to mind), the directing, whilst being standard, is decent and the idea that drives the show is fascinating. One episode called 'Hungry Ghosts' stood out as a good episode from season two because it was free from Christian dogma and the usual clichés staging of events that dominate the series. These good points do not save the show, however, as it has no real scientific analysis and half the episode seem like an evangelical programme.

If you were a fan of this type of documentary or a horror completist you should watch this, if only to laugh at, however, if you are not then I would not recommend it.
  • nmurphy7720 October 2008
    Every time I watch this program it irritates me. I cannot see how a person with any sense can handle this. In most of the episodes I have seen either people get involved in Wicca, Druidism, or something else equally harmless and horrible things happen to them or they clearly have a psychological condition which makes them susceptible to hearing voices or the like. Then, as predictably as a parable in Bible Study, they go back to the fold of the church or something and then, magically, everything is OK again. Is this show some form of propaganda or is it just celebrating the most extreme superstitiousness I've ever seen?
  • I have watched just about every paranormal themed show out there. This one is well put together. The stories are sincere & not over exaggerated and there are no cheesy cheap scares or unnecessary screams for effect. The re-enactments are realistic as well. The people who experienced these hauntings are not the only ones who relay the details of the activity. Neighbors, family, friends, priests & others (such as psychics & paranormal investigators) all shed light and details regarding their encounters and observations also.

Very similar to Celebrity Ghost Stories & Paranormal Witness, but I feel, with an eerie authenticity that is frequently pretty unnerving. Also, there are guest appearances from the Warrens, Amy Allen and others known in paranormal circles.
  • I have countless friends, all of which do not talk readily about nor have an obsession with paranormal occurrences confess to experiencing encounters with entities. From plain as day sighting of aparitions going about their daily business in an old apartment to others hearing voices and loud sounds of horses running into their house on a nightly basis (a new house at the time). Others experiencing aparitions in a house that the owners reported noises and trunks moving across an attic floor. This is just a sampling, I have heard of many more. The persons that related these experiences are reluctant if not embarrassed to admit their encounter after I tell them about the 'ghost stories' recounted on "A Haunting". As a child I witnessed unexplainable sightings of aparitions and movement of objects. As an adult I would be terrified if I encountered the happenings related by my friends or persons on the series. I have no doubt that the stories that friends (and relatives) related are true and have no doubt that the extremes portrayed in "a Haunting" are true.
  • dorotka2416 August 2007
    I've always been interested in the paranormal, and there are not many dramas that do justice to what must be a fearful experience. Not all of the episodes of "A Haunting" are great, but those that are I found to be as terrifying as any drama regarding the paranormal, on TV or in the theater. The creators most certainly have taken the stories they are given and had plenty of creative license with them, but that doesn't bother me a bit. If you want more "realism" in your paranormal show, then there are a number of reality haunted house shows, EVP (Electronic Voice Phenomena) recordings, and the like that could occupy days of your time, but I frankly become quite bored with such things. Definitely give this series a look.
  • batnicboy14 March 2006
    I am riveted by this series. I never was a great fan of the "mummy" or the "mummy returns..." type of silly scary movies or shows since they're fictitious. I thought I'd never see anything better than haunted hotels of Neworleans. The story line and special effects in this series has captivated me and admittedly because it is based on a real story although it certainly is enhanced to make it even more appealing. Kudos to the Discovery Channel for endeavoring to venture beyond with such realism and occasionally including shots of the real folks that actually lived these experiences. It is a fantastic mix/blend which enhances the appeal of the series. The word is hopefully getting around about this series and I'm doing my part to spread it. All I can say is MORE MORE MORE please Discovery!
    I can remember being a child, watching the Discovery Channel and being endlessly entertained by mere science. The Shatner-narrated nature documentaries never failed to fascinate me and make me want to learn more about the intricate world known as nature. Even the "Dinosaurs" CGI special was interesting because it was based on fossil findings, geological change over time, etc. After seeing this show, I am convinced that some superstitious, possibly fundamentalist nut is at the station's helm. If you watch this crap and actually believe it, you are a moron and there is no hope for you. Every scene is meticulously (over)acted by a group of nobodies, and the special effects are both terribly done and highly exaggerated. If these spooky things really happened (child making toys levitate, high-speed wind coming out of a closet, etc.), HOW ABOUT CATCHING THEM ON TAPE AND SHOWING THE FOOTAGE? I can't believe Discovery has really gone this far in an attempt to replace science and factual observation with hokey superstition and laughable ghost stories. In one episode, a young boy has communication with a spirit named "Man" (ha!) which leads him to try to kill the family cat, make his toys levitate, and generally scare the crap out of his entire family. They let this behavior persist for A YEAR before deciding to call their shaman friend to "cleanse the house". Did the thought of taking him to a doctor never cross their mind? I guess rational, logical behavior takes a backseat to hysterical superstition in our oh-so-advanced society. This show is pure insanity, but I guess it's fitting for a station whose regular lineup consists of Monster Garage, Cash Cab, and American Chopper. At least they're getting their precious ratings while making the populous dumber and dumber (and making me crack up with laughter!)
  • I enjoy watching TV shows about hauntings, and there is a huge range of quality out there. This show, in my opinion, ranks at the bottom of the list in terms of quality. The sound effects and scary music are WAY too cheesy for my tastes, and the special effects aren't very good. Plus, the ridiculous Christian content is truly hard to stomach. Every show seems to end with the owners of a haunted house turning to Jeebus to make everything better...so annoying. This show obviously has a Christian agenda, and it makes for really terrible television. There are many more paranormal TV shows out there that are much, much more entertaining, and without the nauseating Jeebus crap.
  • I am huge fan of Horror films and Horror gaming and roots for such addiction lies deep into my psyche.

I was watching this show when it was aired in Discovery and this show immediately caught my attention for good amount of episodes. I have seen pretty much Horror movies and played most Horror-soaked games like Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, Forbidden Siren.

To think - I must redefine my statement, that Horror gaming is the scariest form of entertainment and that no movie can deliver equal scariness. But this show CAN. It features some nice narration, tales from witnesses and Para physics. But the thing that made me stand up all night is that these are REAL ghost stories, depicted in realistic way in the taste of Discovery. Such a combination (true ghost story + nice narrative + good cinematography) is the nuclear weapon of Horror.

This show indeed made me stand up all night or delivered some troubles to get sleep, because these stories manifested into myself and my fantasy and this combo just scared me sh**less – and wouldn't’t let me go to sleep properly, really. Experience, which is quite rare for me - equally I was scared in my childhood due to the acts of Hellraiser, later - due to some ghost-Horror movies, recently - due to Silent Hill and Fatal Frame game-play. This show lines in between Ghost Horror movies and game-play periods. I think, that A Haunting was the last drop in the glass, titled "Please fill this glass and make the owner a HUGE horror-addict".
  • I love the show Ghost Hunters. I love anything that will creep me out. When I saw this on the menu I thought I would give it a try thinking it would have actual footage not crappy reenactments. When I saw that it was just that I almost turned it off. There are too many of these shows with worse acting and really stupid stories, not to mention god awful special effect that I could do from my home computer. I am so happy I didn't. This show really had some creepy moments. Good directing. There were a couple of bad SFX, but overall I really liked it! I also liked some of the actors in it. Hoping to see what else they had done, I couldn't find them on IMDb...bummer. My advice, give it 1 show, I mean the whole hour. There might be some people who are as surprised as I was.
  • rs-896193 September 2019
    I love this show.. I wish they'd bring it back for the reruns. The re-enactments based off of real stories is electrifyingly exciting, intriguing to watch.
  • Iv been watching this show since i was a kid and its the only true paranormal show that I think is good to watch and is really and I think its great that in the past few seasons they actually use real footage and pictures of what has happened with these people telling their stories
  • Watching one episode is like having watched them all. Usually a white Christian family gets harassed by an evil daemon. A sort of an exorcism (mainly Catholic) is performed and everything gets back to normal. Of course never tangible evidence are being presented. Only a dramatized story narrated by the family who had the experience. Third party witnesses are strictly limited to the ones performing the exorcism (the ones interested to keep their businesses going). It is as if people in these stories do not have a life. Everything happens when they are alone or with their families. If a story involved non related people, it would be far more interesting. Currently watching tele-evangelists perform online miracle healings has more suspense and is more difficult to achieve (I mean to set up the hoax).

We all know that Christianity owes most of its success to human superstition and fear of the unknown. This show does exactly that. It enhances fear and superstition. It does not illuminate or give more details about the unknown. All you need to know is that daemons exist and they are out there to get us. We should be thankful that there is a God Monopoly (the Church) who knows the correct mambo jambo words to make them go away.

Common we are not so dam or a are we?
    A Haunting is an interesting combination of documentary and dramatization. It combines recorded interviews with those who experienced the haunting, with dramatizations of the actual events. The end result is a scary show that has a much more realistic feel to it.

While the episodes are somewhat formulaic in nature - family (or sometimes family member) moves into a new house and begins experiencing unexplained phenomena, which eventually turns menacing; experts are called in to help dispel the evil entity, meeting with mixed results - the storytelling is excellent. You know going in that the point of this show is to scare you, and still it manages to do so every time. All elements of the production work together toward that goal - story, acting, cinematography, effects, narration, background music - all work together to keep the viewer riveted to the screen.

The acting is particularly good in these shows. The cast is not composed of well known actors, but the actors create believable characters with mostly believable reactions to the situations they find themselves in. The narration strikes just the right note between creepy menace and factual telling.

Those looking for actual proof of ghosts may find themselves a little disappointed with this show, as it does nothing to really prove the existence of ghosts. It merely accepts the stories of those to whom the strange phenomena happened. Likewise, the skeptics may be disappointed that the show doesn't disprove ghosts, either. But for those looking for good scary entertainment, without a lot of gore, this show is a must.

So, turn the lights down low, turn on the television, and get ready for an evening of chilling entertainment...
    I can't believe a network once devoted to science would actually air this kind of crap. Every episode is the same: A bunch of middle-American white people, usually Christian nuts, anonymously and profusely attest to having been "haunted" by various supernatural phenomena; of course none of which is actually substantiated. Sometimes "professional ghost-hunters" and "paranorma researchers" are featured in these ridiculous stories, and they invariably come away from the so-purported haunted houses and families with little more than unintelligible, staticy audio and/or video. Often, the family's pastor, priest, whatever will survey the site and simply convince them to strengthen their Christian beliefs and routines, and all will be well. Usually, it is. This series sooner belongs on PAX or INSP than Discovery.

I don't know if it's just that I'm hard to scare, or what, but this show is about as frightening as a cheesecake. The only thing remotely scary about it is that somewhere, somebody's actually taking it seriously.

Tonight's episode is what led me to writing this. The story is by far the most aggravatingly dumb one yet. The family involved consists of a husband and wife, a teenish daughter, and a seemingly haunted young son. Initially, nobody but the son can hear the voice of a malevolent spirit known only as "Man"; "Man" seems to inspire him to behave psychopathically, defying his parents, assaulting his mother, destroying his toys, urinating in his closet, and attempting to smother the family's kitten under couch cushions. Sounds like Junior has a problem with Oppositional-Defiant Disorder to me.

Most bizarre of all his incidents, his mother (the only member of the family interviewed) insists that while he was watched by his cousin, he caused toys to levitate in mid-air in her bedroom. Right. The trouble only continues and worsens past the attempted kitten murder with the phantom Man eventually materializing in front of Junior's mother in a dramatic and violent attack, what with the yelling and pushing and laughing and all.

Deciding not on a visit to a qualified psychologist, she consults with some kind of psychic or medium or whatever you want to call him; he had long hair and a braided headband, so I guess he was qualified in these situations. He prescribes a typical"new age" technique involving the dumping of a combination of olive oil, sweet grass, and other herbal sundries around the property, before a session of walking around with burning sage and Christian prayer in the front yard. Junior's mother then gives us a wild account of the house shaking and voices ringing out from the aether; I only wish I could talk to the neighbors, whom surely must have been entertained if any of this crazy BS actually happened.

Naturally, after all that, everything "goes back to normal" and no further problems or phenomena are observed. Not a word is mentioned about Junior's mental state or the disciplinary habits of his parents, of course. We also don't know if the cat survived. I feel badly for that poor cat.

Some of you might be sitting there saying, "But sohalia, the cases are DOCUMENTED!". You know what? I can write down any manner of insane and inane rambling poppycock as I see fit, take tons of pictures, and call everybody up and repeat the story a hundred times. It's documented! It's also complete garbage! Remember kids, just because it's "documented" doesn't make it real or true.

Speaking of reality, I have to ask... Did I miss something? Is this all a joke? I haven't read anywhere that this series is actually a joke or fictional or whatever, so I'd really appreciate it if somebody tipped me off in the event that it is. I'd appreciate some reassurance that Discovery wasn't going completely to hell. I miss the days when they ran actual documentaries on wildlife and other actual things.

If you want a series about people going through real and not imaginary trouble, watch "I Shouldn't Be Alive" instead.
  • Usually I love shows that talk about true hauntings, but this show continuously gets their info wrong. There was one episode where a never-do-well teenager starts practicing black magic, and the mother pulls out a book on Wicca from his backpack. First of all, Wicca is a religion based on light, love, and good karma. It doesnt teach black rituals or spells. Oh and another episode had a girl drum up a haunting in her house because she used a deck of tarot cards. You connect with your own intuition to divine the future, not a spirit. There is no ghost manipulating the cards. As an occultist, religious historian, and professional tarot reader, the regularity in which this show continues to mess things up leaves me agape at their bungling of information. I can't watch this show without getting pissed off at it on a regular basis.LESS
  • This is a series about alleged demonic hauntings at various locations around the USA. They are all more or less violent and frightening. If even a minuscule part of this is true then, there is much more to "life" than we commonly assume. Much more that is documented in ancient life that today we assume is superstition is actually "real".

Due to the concept of this series this is a big IF. These are all uncorroborated stories of supposed hauntings, from those directly involved and possibly "paranormal investigators". There is no place for sceptics in these stories, no scientific investigation or any third party corroboration whatsoever.

Some reviewers here has remarked that the content is strongly Christian. The "solutions" is always prayer and Christianity. Which in itself isn't too strange in a Christian setting/society as the USA. Having this going on for episode after episode is however, straining. They also portrait other beliefs as suspicious so this can easily be seen as Christian propaganda.

As a amusing horror story series it has some merit. That it might give you some thoughts on the paranormal is a pro.
    I was so excited to hear that the creators of this show were bringing it back in 2012. I have watched rerun after rerun of the previous seasons. My favorite episode being "Unleashed." Now there seems to be some haters reviewing this show and it seems that their problem is not so much with the content of the show but more about organized religion or more specifically Christianity. If they accept that these are true stories and the individuals involved are just relating to us what exactly happened and how they dealt with their haunting (Christian methodology in most cases) then how can they not agree that the Christian way of eradicating the spirits is good if the outcome is good. And apparently it seems to be the only way that works. It's a great show that brings to light the spiritual battle that goes on beyond our physical realm yet it shows very well how these beings want to effect our world and in some cases the well being of the individual being haunted.
  • A Haunting is fantastic... and fantastically scary. I do not remember when I started watching, but I kept watching until the show was taken off the air in my area in 2009.

The episodes are scarier than the best horror movies. And I do not think I ever saw a bad episode. Also, there was a very obvious concerted effort to cover all the different types of paranormal experiences -- ghosts, demonic possessions, after effects of occult practices, etc.

Production values were great, which certainly helped to make each episode chilling and haunting. Editing was brilliant, and one never felt either cheated or manipulated by the way the story and the eye-witness accounts were put together.

Certainly, hands down, the best thing about the show was the narration.

A Haunting, and a few other shows, spawned a tsunami of paranormal activity programs, but A Haunting is, if not THE best, then one of the best. It set the bar very high, and few shows produced since its first few seasons actually measure up.
  • I read the comments. Yes, Last week's episode was my favorite to date. It really had me scared and on the edge of my seat. Im originally from Boston, my parents use to take me to Corning NY every fall. The town is small, very old and at night a little creepy. I enjoyed watching the lead actor (Johnny Alonso) portray "Mike". It was like watching a made for TV movie. Hes a cross between Depp, Schneider and Buscemi. The only down beat was when the ghost busters showed up. With the exception of the video guy, the 2 ladies especially the "sensitive" who looked like the woman from "poltergeist" were a bit contrived. That's why I can't give it 10 stars, but 9. Mike's girlfriend and his buddy were strong supportings, but what made the show was Johnny Alonso. Even though the "real" Mike came up in shadow and at times made it confusing, you always found your way back to the story through him. Strong look, strong actor, strong episode. Way to go "A Haunting"
    This one isn't too awful, but I find that it is unrealistic and biased. Many times they blame activity on witchcraft and satanic cults as if they were interchangeable. They claim many of the entities are demons or demonic and many times the only way they can rid people of these entities is through prayer and Catholicism or Christianity- which hardly ever seems to work. They offer no proof to any of these stories like other programs and dramatically reenact for scares. Some episodes will say they took pictures or video but then never show them. Better shows like this can be seen with the original Animal Planet show The Haunted and the original Syfy show Paranormal Witness. Both offer witness testimony and show proof. No dramatic reenactments used for scares, no prejudiced presumptions like this show.
  • rs-896192 October 2019
    I absolutely love this show. Sallie's house was a real live haunted house. A Haunting in Connecticut & A Haunting in Georgia got a lot of attention do to this show. Bring it back!!!! Bring new episodes back!!!!!!!!!!