• After having seen the pilot episode of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, I am left with a sudden sense of excitement for the series to begin. The show hits the gate hard as a veteran executive producer of a late night comedy show (Judd Hirsch) goes on a verbal assault on live television, a moment straight out of Network (which the news media quickly catches onto). The studio is in complete disarray only minutes after the show ends, especially since the network's new president (Amanda Peet) as only been on the job for one day. How can they repair the damage done? Why not call in the two men who made the show a hit (Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford), and have since been fired two years prior. But things aren't going to be so easy to fix since there are execs just waiting to shred all three of them to pieces.

The show is pure Aaron Sorkin: it's witty, intelligent, and heart-felt about issues. It's also a blast to watch as a cast of incredibly talented actors and actresses work together to make Sorkin's words shine. But one thing Studio 60 isn't is a retread of either Sports Night or The West Wing. It's a completely different monster. This time, Sorkin's looking to dive deep into the worlds of Hollywood, Mass Media, and Big Business. With Perry and Whitford, we have televisions new odd couple, both incredibly funny both alone and together. Peet brings her A-game with her as she takes on her most ambitious part yet. And let's not forget some great contributions by D.L. Hughley, Timothy Busfield and Steven Webber. And this is coming straight from the pilot. Who knows where the show will go from here. But I know where I'm going to be on Monday nights.
  • What a joy. Can you imagine someone actually answering a reporter in a press conference with the TRUTH? Even if it costs them? In Aaron Sorkin's world things are set aright and, while he clearly has questions, he sets out to answer them in a righteous and evenhanded way bringing thoughtful debate to the minds of the audience which, thankfully, he seems to believe can participate in thoughtful debate.

In Sorkin's world there is loyalty unlike almost anywhere on earth. Both in his personal loyalties and those of his interesting, full of life characters, bursting with individuality, personality and beautiful DIALOG...YES! So much incredibly wonderful dialog.

The unique and enduring music of W.G. Snuffy Walden adds such depth of emotion and intent to Studio 60. Music that moves us and causes us to feel with the characters we laugh and cry with and love to see again and again.

Sorkin and Schlamme bring actors we thought were pretty good, some we already really liked a lot, many we didn't even know their names - but now we do...and we always will. Because their talent has been revealed in the most profound way. And, after the pilot, I felt I knew them well and loved them each - a lot.

People enter from stage right and left - set builders, camera people, runners and a fantastic PA played by Merritt Wever who won my heart in the first episode. And I thought...only Sorkin would use this lucky girl in this way and she'll be so great...is so great...

And there are the cameos. Judd Hirsch, Ed Asner. Precious bits of time. As in The Wrap Party where the famous Eli Wallach was exquisite as the old writer/veteran who was once blacklisted in Hollywood. I cried. Very brave lines here, wonderfully acted by all involved. What a piece of film!

And with so much story and so many personalities, there is always room for one more...and one more that amazingly fills a new important space. No fillers here. Enter Christine Lahti...pure class. One more of the unique women in his script. Women who are strong, intelligent, interesting, funny...as well as loyal and led by their integrity. They vary in personality, careers, education, physical appearance and age. They are each absolutely beautiful in ways that most writers/producers/directors haven't seemed to notice nor use yet.

And there are the love scenes between Matthew Perry and Sarah Paulson. Truly amazing, awesome love scenes. Filled with depth and respect; fired with emotion and among the most beautiful ever filmed.

Week after week the story builds, the characters deepen and the anticipation of what is to follow is delightful...because we know the foundation will always be there. We know we can trust Sorkin to always be true.

The most recent: Nevada Day was absolutely great. One of the funniest things I've seen in years. I laughed until my sides hurt. What wit! and what an amazing ability to take real life people and their situations, examine truth and controversy while at the same time making us laugh out loud. And John Goodman, who would never disappoint us if all he did was enter the room...he is so good...was perfect as the judge from Pahrump...yeah Pahrump Nevada. Well, you've just got to watch this one.

The content always is intelligent, honest and courageous. The writing, directing, set design, costume, makeup - all pure talent, pure art. The acting is as acting should be - believable and strong: Perry, Whitford, Peet, Paulson Busfield, Hughley, Weber, and every one in between. Each actor is excellent and important. The show is important. I only hope there will be 130000 episodes.

Thank you Aaron Sorkin and Thomas Schlamme and a most incredible ensemble for giving us your very best every time. You knock our socks off.
  • I've enjoyed Sorkin ever since I saw A Few Good Men. Sports Night gets regular repeats in my DVD player, and while I never quite got in to West Wing because of scheduling problems on my end, what I did see always impressed me. So I was waiting very eagerly for Studio 60 to premiere. It didn't disappoint.

Now, this show is probably not for everyone. Sorkin doesn't lob softballs at us. He wants us to think, he's not going to spell every little thing out for the audience. Some see him as being preachy, but I'm afraid they not seeing for the forest for the trees here. Some also accuse him of anti-whatever propaganda, but fail to acknowledge or account for the existence of counter balance in the show itself (IE anti-Christian sentiments in S60, although one of his main characters is a level headed and likable Christian woman).

The cast is sublime. Matthew Perry pretty much does what he does, but now he can be the edgier actor he wanted to be. Bradley Whitford has always been underrated and he doesn't fail to impress me here. All of the other members of the supporting cast (including Timothy Busfield, who was looking surprisingly John Ritter-esquire in profile) are worthy. I've seen tons of criticism for Amanda Peet as the newly named president of the network, but I honestly can say I'm buying it. She does have a tendency to make the same face for everything, but otherwise, she's playing the part as it's written. Sometimes it's not the actor, it is the character (see Holmes, Katie and Begins, Batman), and I think this is one of those times. She's playing a relatively young powerful female exec like I'd expect her to. Kinda wink wink like, with a poker face.

Overall, I think this show, only 2 episodes in, is already one of the best shows on the network channels today. Hopefully NBC will give it the due course it deserves, even while it openly mocks the network.
  • tadeja-korenc-130 September 2006
    I will not only be talking about Matthew Perry here, i promise, but i need to say this. I am a Friends fan. A can-quote-them-in-the-middle-of-the-night, know-and-own-every-episode kind of fan and i was worried about Mr. Perry, it's just the curse of playing a certain role for 10 years. I must admit, hands down, he is brilliant! Fantastic! Not once did i think of Chandler or Friends for that matter and i applaud him.

Now, Ms. Peet is wonderful too and i did not know she was this talented, i must admit. And Bradley Whitford - i loved him in West Wing, i love him here. I could in fact go on and on about the casting of this show, which is brilliant (Sarah Paulson - OMG), but i don't want to make this comment too long.

I was looking forward to this show and i am not disappointed! The writing is superb, engaging, the dialogues are quick and witty and intelligent! I am a sucker for shows that make me think, that make me watch open mouthed and leave me shell shocked and in not being able to believe the 45 minutes are gone. I re-watched it a couple of times just because i knew there were things i missed in the first run.

To Mr. Sorkin and everybody who is creating this show: you're doing an amazing job! I am hooked. And i so hope this show is here to stay!
  • bromley-614 August 2006
    Saw the pilot on NetFlix, and it's everything one should expect from Sorkin, Schlamme and this cast...sharp, tense, funny, and exhilarating television. Even if you don't care about behind-the-scenes drama or live TV or Saturday Night Live (which the show is based on), check this out...it's got a ton of drama, heart, and fun. Hopefully Sorkin will take time to develop each character. My only issue with the episode is that there's too much to cover, so we only get quick glosses of characters, but it's just a pilot, so it's OK to serve as an introduction. Matthew Perry, Amanda Peet, Brad Whitford, Timothy Busfield are all perfectly cast and show new range. Can't wait for the season to get going.
  • In a time of Apprentice, Fear Factor, Bachelor and a dozen police/crime scene shows, Studio 60 brings diversity to network television. This is a very witty and thought provoking show, which offers philosophical views on many topics, relative to today's society.

We've seen how police stations, hospitals, and the White House work, now we get to see how network television works. The show incorporates a lot of self-irony and probably borrows a lot of material from real life experiences behind the scenes of network TV.

Like many others, I was afraid that Mathew Perry would not be able to put the Chandler character behind, but I was pleased to find out, that he did it, and he did it in style. I believe Perry has grown a lot as an actor and he is shining. The rest of the cast is also great, and so far it looks like this show has no main character - this has proved to be very successful in the past.

I realize that the audience of this show is naturally limited, but I really hope it stays, because I believe it has the potential to become a classic!
  • randy-37719 September 2006
    Apparently so. From the first kinetic moments, Studio 60 blazes through an hour of swift dialog, brilliant speeches, and a storyline that can go any which way. The camaraderie of Perry and Whitford feels genuine. Whitfords bottled nervous energy which could often become annoying on TWW is perfectly contained if not explained by a history of drug use. And the concept of the show seems remarkable fresh. Who knew? One must love Sorkin for his loyalty (the Albie/Tripp relationship must be Sorkin/ Schlamme) with West Wing regulars showing up. One can only hope Allison Janney gets a regular spot. Some have suggested the show is quite unlike The West Wing, which I disagree with...its the same cinematographer, the same lighting, the same run over dialog Sorkin is famous for...and who cares? It works, and you know it works when you feel exhilarated watching a show, and yearning for the week to pass quickly to see what happens next, and that is exactly what happened. Loved it.
  • Studio 60 is the coming out party for Aaron Sorkin since he left NBC (during; The West Wing). He's brilliant again. This series is going to be as big if not bigger than Sports Night and The West Wing. OK, maybe not as big as TWW because you can't be better than 96 Emmy nods. But no joke S60 will blow people away and remind them why they loved and still love AS since he walked into the lives of millions back in the late 90s. I had the fortune to see a sneak peak (hey all you can if you are a netflixian) of S60 and I have already seen it three times. I love the chemistry between Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford, it's like they have worked together for years. Being a regular Sorkinite, I have followed all his hits. This is just going to be a great addition to an already amazing resume. Many of the greats (staff and cast) are back from either TWW, American President or SN. It's good to have you home, Aaron!
  • davidm2-124 October 2006
    As usual the "Sorkonian rhythm" is just amazing to me and yes I am claiming that name. I'll keep this short, but looking back to Sports Night, Aaron has always made me think. The first time I saw that kind of dialogue,it reminded me of a little show back in the mid 80's called moonlighting. That sit up and pay attention attitude of writing, and delivery of dialogue I just fell in love with.

I get to enjoy that in a whole new way with the Rhythm that only Aaron can write. Forget anyone else When you get Aaron and Tommy on a project it's like a bus that comes down the road that you can either get on and enjoy a ride like you will never ever have again in a lifetime, or stand in the way and let it just run you over! I found myself this evening after watching this episode getting online and looking up and reading about "The Hollywood 10" and reading the stories of each and every one of them and the hundreds of others that were blacklisted as well.

I very rarely get emotional over TV shows, but the shows that Aaron writes touch me in ways that I never knew were possible from a box that will display things like "Date my Mom" and "Pimp My Trike" I bow to the enlightening wit, drama, and even when it takes a slap to the face to see all sides of a story. Never ever stop what you are doing! But in closing I really have to ask myself what it must be like around the Shoe Money offices with people running around all day long telling each other "Hey don't forget I need to meet with the guy about the thing..." A personal thanks to Aaron and Tommy for Years of entertainment and for many more to come!
  • Becky-6111 August 2006
    There are (delightful) shades of Sports Night's Dan & Casey combo in this very well written series. Matthew Perry was right to wait for the perfect project to come along. From the looks of it, Studio 60 will let him do what he has seldom been afforded the opportunity to do, and that is subtle comedy with an edge. West Wing fans will have no problem accepting Bradley Whitford in this decidedly un-Josh Lyman role. Rounding out the core cast are some of Hollywood's most interesting and under-cast actors, including D.L. Hughley, Sarah Pauley (perhaps this will finally be the break out that she deserves) and Steven Webber. And Amanda Peete is magnetic in her return to both the small screen and to center stage, as a driven and enigmatic young television exec. Aaron Sorkin & Tommy Schlamme deliver once again.
  • aseanacha26 October 2006
    Studio 60 is a fast-paced, well-written series which challenges the viewer to keep up with the action. The characters have full dimension and the portrayals make the viewer care what happens to each character.

The network has invested not only time and money into this show, it has gathered a plethora of skilled actors who've proved their skills in other venues as well as presenting talented people in secondary roles with the strong hint of more presence to come. I look forward to seeing the development of these currently secondary players and their various impacts on the varied underlying themes.

This show is a keeper and so should be kept running.
  • I have emailed NBC twice about canceling this show. One of the few intelligent, well written, thought provoking shows I have seen in a while. What's the alternative, Singing Bee or watching women compete for a date? I have looked forward to viewing this show and am very disappointed in it's cancellation. Was it an air time problem or another season needed to gain viewer ship? I enjoyed it's complication-a good story along with great acting is becoming so rare these days. To hear statements that contain some reference as to what people are really thinking is such a refreshing switch from the pc crowd.Perhaps another network will see it's possibilities and pick it up. I just wish all those who made Studio 60 could know that some of us admired their work and will miss the show.
    Any fan of any decade of "Saturday Night Live" should immediately be able to imagine a thousand possibilities for a show like this. A thousand possible story lines – drugs, addiction, rock and roll, lip-syncing, ad-libs, difficult divas, competition for stage time, backstage brawls, plagiarism, sabotage, romance, flings, sex, network politics, censorship, rising stars, fading stars, unexpected disease and tragic death.

Creator Aaron Sorkin treats the world of entertainment just as seriously as he did the world of politics in "The West Wing." He's brought in the same level of acting, the same level of writing, the same level of direction and cinematography and the same level of – for lack of a better word – gravitas… and brought it all to bear in a younger, grittier, hipper setting.

Within the first few minutes of the pilot, you can tell what an impressive job they've done in recreating an SNL-type aura. The stage, the lights, the announcer's voice, the moving set pieces, the audience bleachers, the show's logo, the token black cast member – everything is captured perfectly.

Better yet, "Studio 60" isn't afraid to attack its inspiration. You see, "Studio 60", just like the real "SNL," currently sucks. It's been in decline since losing its top writer and director four years ago and now merely limps along, making predictable George W. Bush jokes and relying on its own fame to keep it on the air. The Lorne Michaels-type producer, played masterfully by Judd Hirsch, makes an occasional attempt to get something controversial on the air, but is repeatedly shot down by the network censor.

On this particular night, however, he loses it and launches into a fiery tirade on live television about the loss of quality and integrity at the networks and in America in general. This gets him fired and puts the future of the show in jeopardy. Enter the excellent Amanda Peet as the new head of programming, Jordan, on her first day at the job. You can see a confident playfulness in her eyes as she goes toe-to-toe with the network president (played by Steven Weber from "Wings" as a ruthless, unemotional yet intelligent shark) but also slight vulnerability such as when she can't find her new office. She's extremely appealing – a fast-talking, idea-slinging new sheriff in a corporate creative town full of pathetic yes-men and tired unoriginality. Like Martin Sheen as the president on "The West Wing," you can't wait to see what she'll manage to accomplish with her fresh perspective.

Her first bold plan is to counteract the negative publicity currently circulating around "Studio 60" by wooing back the show's original writer and director, Matt and Danny – played respectively by Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford. They've grown famous and successful since leaving "Studio 60," but aren't without leftover issues. Matt's just broken up with his girlfriend, who happens to be one of the top three stars of "Studio 60," while Danny is still fighting a cocaine addiction and hiding it from his partner.

So, how does Perry handle the transition from situation comedy to serious drama? Fine. It does help that this serious drama happens to be about a comedy show and Perry happens to be playing a funny writer. But he's not just playing Chandler either. There's more weight to this role. His character's obviously carrying a lot of baggage around, stuff that is hinted at in the pilot but not revealed… yet he has to set that aside temporarily to watch over his best friend, who might actually be more troubled than he is. Perry still does the nervous wise-cracking thing he did on "Friends," but here it comes across as more authentic of who his character is – a neurotic Hollywood writer – but, at the same time, only one dimension of a very three-dimensional person.

Already, I'm dying to see the next episode. What will Matt and Danny, built up as such incredible talents in the pilot, do to energize the lagging show? How will Matt get along with his ex-girlfriend when they have to work together practically 24/7? Will Danny relapse to cocaine under the pressures of directing a live broadcast every week? How will the network react when Matt and Danny, with Jordan's permission, air the controversial sketch that got Judd Hirsch fired? On the very first spot of their very first show? Plus, why did Matt and Danny get fired in the first place? And who really fired them – the network president or their hero, the Judd Hirsch producer? What are the stories of the other cast members, such as D.L. Hughley and the D.J. Qualls look-alike? Which one's going to be the diva? Which one's going to leave the show to be a movie star? Which one will die from a drug overdose? Not to mention the potential for guest star "hosts." Guest stars playing themselves not for cheap laughs, but in honest-to-goodness dramatic situations. The pilot has Felicity Huffman worrying about what dress to wear for her monologue… and fretting about the crappy nature of the monologue itself. The possibilities are endless here as well.

My only concern with "Studio 60" is whether or not it can be funny. It's definitely smart, witty and fascinating, but if it's going to be about a comedy show, it'd better have some actual comedy in it. The only sketches shown in the pilot are intentionally bad (the show's supposed to suck, remember?), but I do hope we'll get to see glimpses of classic SNL brilliance via this fictionalized homage to it.

After watching the pilot, though, I'm pretty confident "Studio 60" can do whatever the hell it pleases. It seems very sure of itself and I can't wait to see what it has in store for a full season.
    I wonder if it was lost on anyone that the moment of Drama that drives this new Aaron Sorkin Vision takes place on a Television Set mock-up of the Oval Office? A TV producer decries the decline of intelligent writing and quality Programming. He draws attention to this FAUX Oval Office and reminds us that no one will mistake George Bush for George Plimpton. I thought of the decline of The West Wing after Mr. Sorkins' departure and thinking no one would mistake George Bush for Josiah Bartlett.

The real question is where is this show going. Characters are fleshed out, the mythology gets opened up and revealed. With such an amazing cast and a proved talent like Aaron Sorkin and Thomas Schlamme, I would be shocked if the Drama doesn't reach for the stars, it's tongue firmly in it's cheek for the wryest of humor.

So, the scene is set and all the players on the field. The only character that concerns me is portrayed by Amanda Peet. Peet portrays her with a little too much youthful exuberance and cavalier humor. One may assume that to have reached her position in the network a little bit of Jaundice should have set in. Hopefully she develops and doesn't catch the first train to Mandy-ville.

What also was not yet present was Mr. Sorkin's ability to weave both subtext and subplot so seamlessly. I suppose that requires more plot development as well as character development. I know when both Timothy Busfield and Bradley Whitfield are on screen it will take me a while to get used to Bradley answering to the name Danny.

Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford have good chemistry. They have the kind of friendship that is reminiscent of Bartlett and Leo. A deep bonding that hopefully gets explored.

I have the highest of hopes!
  • It is funny, smart, articulate, and touched the heart all at the same time. So of course word is that is has been canceled! It ran so briefly before getting pre-empted several times, that it barely got seen, yet NBC saw fit to shoot it down, and will be putting on several live game shows and other reality garbage of that ilk. Worse than that, they now torture us with the last new episodes, so that we might be bereft when it is gone. I wish there was a way to save the show, but networks rarely let shows live long enough to find their audience. NBC barely let it run long enough for anyone to find it. I think the best episode was the "Disaster Show," and watching Allison Janey and former "West Wing" lover Tim Busfield work together. What a hoot. What a waste that such a clever show will be lost to TV history.
  • I've been in and out of the entertainment industry for my life, as have members of my family. This is probably one of the smartest television programs out there and, actually, very realistic in a lot of ways! Reminds me of a lot of the stuff I had to deal with when I worked in live Radio actually. PLEASE don't cancel this any time soon! There's so much schlock out there ... and it's nice to see the interplay with someone who plays with M. Perry so well ... and appears to challenge him ... It is very nice to see Perry in a part that is worthy of his acting, humor, intellect and subtle charm. I wasn't a huge Friends fan, but did enjoy his character because he played it so well. I could go on, but why? From my impression - Studio 60 is amazing and I sincerely hoping this show doesn't get axed any time soon!
  • in the TV world of cop-shop-talk, overly hyped courtroom drama, and inherent idiocy of reality shows, it's a welcome change & refreshing to hear smart, funny dialog between characters, and plot lines with hints of addressing serious American cultural issues. "Studio 60" is an intelligent pleasure to watch, and Aaron Sorkin makes great use of talented actors he's worked with before, from Timothy Busfield, Matthew Perry, D.L. Hughley, Bradley Whitford, Evan Handler (recently from "Sex in the City") plus lots of other familiar faces...and the chemistry & witty dialog flows from beginning to end. I've enjoyed every show; cant wait to see more...
    Having seen the pilot of this show I am so proud of NBC in producing a top-notch new show. In this era of TV, where 90%+ of shows are junk, if there is justice left in the entertainment industry this show will flourish and prosper. Great writing from Aaron Sorkin and his team and great chemistry and timing between the entire cast, especially Mattew Perry and Bradley Whitford are sure to make this show one of the funniest on television this fall season. Also Judd Hirsch's performance in the pilot should gain him a nod for guest appearance in any TV awards. This is one of those shows can redeem the mass of sludge network has become, yes reality TV I am talking to you, so please, for God's sake, will the general viewing audience please catch onto this show and keep it going for hopefully at least a whole season.
  • tonytanti25 October 2006
    Studio 60 is funny and moving, dramatic and hilarious. For me this is currently the best show on television. I've enjoyed each episode so far and they've been getting better and better. This show is full of great writing and great acting and I always wish there was more once it's over. Thank goodness it's not a 30 minute show.

The dialogue is smart and witty and controversy is dealt with respectfully by showing us a fair portrayal of both sides of each issue. Some shows pretend they're showing both sides of each issue but they are really a thinly veiled attempt at making one side seem ridiculous and the other side the obvious choice. Not so with Studio 60.

I used to be a CSI: Miami guy on Mondays but I can't go back now.

If you haven't watched Studio 60 yet you should give it a try, you won't regret it.
  • I cannot believe it. They are closing this show down. It's a terrible shame!!! Studio 60 is one of the best shows I have ever seen; great characters, excellent stories and this fabulous feeling of being backstage at a real show with all that happens there.

And then they close it down because not enough millions are watching. The curse of capitalism, I tell you. You'd think you'll keep a show that's getting rave reviews and giving it at least a couple of years to grow on the public.

I'm freaking out here. It just bothers me so much. It's like getting a friend and then loosing him a couple of months later.

Bring it back!
  • How dare NBC take off the best show on television. A smartly, well acted, well written show is so rare in this day of watered-down, singing/dancing/fighting reality show non-sense that appeals to our worst qualities. Studio 60 apparently was too smart for the average person. Then again, needing Simon, Paula and Randy to decide who the best singer out of the lot is speaks wonders. People would rather sit and watch women open suitcases with dollar amounts they will never see. I will give credit where credit is due. To produce Deal or No Deal probably costs a heck of a lot less than a show like 60. Replacing Studio 60 with the Black Donnelleys is like eating a fillet mignon one day and then eating Steak-Umms and saying this is delicious. Bring Back Studio 60!
  • faceman129 December 2006
    I loved the West Wing, the writing, the acting, the direction, it was just an amazingly good show. So when i heard that Mr Sorkin was making a show about the 'behind the scenes' of a SNL type show, i had a hunch it was going to be good. Unfortunately being in Australia, we don't get the really good American shows until they are the biggest rating show in the states, so we're usually 1 or 2 seasons behind. Thank god for the internet. Having been given the first 6 episodes by a good friend, i started to watch, thinking this should be good, but no more that 5 minutes into the first episode, i was hooked. Here is a show that's not afraid to say that TV sucks and what we all end up watching is watered down and dumbed down to fit with the lowest common denominator. Its really well written, and the cast is soo good, especially a man i never new i'd find engaging to watch, Mathew Perry. He and Bradley Whitford truly make this a great show. Their dialog together, especially in the first episode is outstanding. One truly gets the feeling that these two have worked together for many years and can finish each other sentences. But the rest of the cast is also tremendous, no one feels out of place, yet there are several casting choices that seem almost against type, but work brilliantly. All i can hope is that more people get a chance to see this excellent show. I've now seen 10 episodes and i want more, a show this good is truly addictive and can be watched many times over. Oh how could i forget, the production value is truly outstanding. Bravo to all involved. Being in the Australian TV industry, i wish we were making shows of this quality, not just churning half thought out ideas to get ratings, or more brain dead game shows. Watch it.
  • JCricket9727 November 2006
    I started the season trying The Nine, Six Degrees, Brothers and Sisters, 30 Rock (sucks) and Studio 60 to give the new shows a chance. Now 60 is the only one I won't miss! It cracks me up that people take all the "religious right" and "Bush Bashing" (though there really hasn't been much of that, just references to it) so seriously. Aaron Sorkin is a genius who tells a story better than anyone! Watch The West Wing Season 1 "In Excelsis Deo" or Studio 60's "The Wrap Party." It's the underlying stories that make his writing GREAT! Mrs. Landingham's boys dying at Christmas - I can't hear The Little Drummer Boy without getting chills and the elderly man wandering around the set...

You don't have to be a liberal or one of the "smart, cool kids" to love his shows, you just have to look below the surface. The media decides that the show is this or that and it turns people off. His shows have more layers than any other. Aaron Sorkin's name attached to it gives people a certain image. If people just sit back and watch with no pre-conceived notions, they will like it.

Networks have kept crap like "According to Jim" or allowed the repeated franchise of shows like Law and Order and if they don't keep this it's because it hits too close to home, getting at the entertainment industry. They really need to keep this original, creative show on. And they wonder why the ratings drop off after Hero's? You couldn't find two shows less alike and their viewers are complete opposites too (thank God!) Give it a strong lead in, what about doing a real "Must See TV" like My Name Is Earl, The Office, ER and Studio 60. It wouldn't be up against Greys and it would have a lead in that is in the right demographic. Or not on the same night as football. NBC needs to give this show a chance, and honestly it seems they haven't.

I would watch anything Aaron Sorkin writes, and hope I get to continue doing so for many years to come!!
  • The best written show since the West Wing was taken off the air was the highlight of last years TV. Although Heroes is fantastic this show made me sit up and take notice.

With some fantastic actors both new and familiar to us in the UK not sure about the US, and some great story lines this show could have gone from strength to strength. It took the West Wing 7 seasons to make me cry and even that was based around an actual death of a cast member but the Studio 60 finale is a thing of beauty. It is all you'd want in a programme heart felt, funny and good actors turning in great performances.

This is the perfect starting point for anyone wanting to start looking at the works of Mr. Sorkin it's not as heavy as the West Wing but every bit as brilliant. I already have the DVDs and the finale again got the best of me.

You'll laugh, you'll cheer and you should cry unless you're made out of stone or something.
  • I was excited to see this show for 3 reasons: 1, I am a huge fan of Matthew Perry and couldn't wait to see him return to TV again in a major role.

2, I quite like The West Wing so thought it would be good to watch

3, The ads run on E4 and More 4 (UK TV channels) made me WANT to watch it!

I have loved every minute of the show. I thought the first episode was alright, but it just got better and better. Sure there are a couple of social comments, but I think they are sensible ones. Its a shame its been cancelled... I wonder if its because of all the religion, war, politics and behind the scenes of TV? I thought it was an interesting concept, maybe one that some of the US weren't ready for?

Studio 60 is witty and smart. It is a funny, yet also serious. The actors were great and I was looking forward to watching the next episode week after week.

I really hope it comes back, because let's face it- we need this kind of show on our TVs! Reality TV is annoying, we need shows that make us think!