User Reviews (2,604)

• Man of Steel is really solid, decent and good origin story about the greatest superhero of all time "Superman". I am a huge fan of Superman I grew up watching Christopher Reeve's Superman. I like this movie more than Superman III or Superman IV: The Quest for Peace and Superman Returns. This is my third favorite Superman movie. I was one of the haters of this film, but now since I am making a Superman marathon and I am watching every Superman movie I can say I enjoy this movie the second time around. It is better than Superman The Movie? no. But it is a good movie, I know it is reboot of Superman I and II and - - the second half in the movie is much better than it gets praised. I like the action in this movie it was much better than in Superman II the romance didn't slow down the film.

Superman sacrifice his home world Krypton for Earth and I think it was really heroic thing to do. This movie still has problems and flaws in the movie that I didn't like the first half had flaws that is why I can't say it is the best movie or better than Richard Donner's version "Superman The Movie" but it is an okay movie. Hans Zimmer score I have enjoy it very much, I love the music score. The action, special effects CGI and the actors in this film I enjoy it very much.

Henry Cavill as Kal-El/ Clark Kent/ Superman did a good job portraying the "Man of Steel." I love his performance in the movie he is a good Superman. Amy Adams is fantastic as Lois Lane in my opinion much better than Margot Kidder she did an excellent joy portraying Lois Lane than any other actress did. Michael Shannon was better General Zod than Terence Stamp did in Superman II. I enjoy those three actor/actress in the movie so much.

The story is not week, the romance does not slow down the movie. The action is a bad-ass action in this movie. Superman II took 1 hr and 30 min. until Superman went to action while in this movie we have action right after 1 hrs and it was pure bad-ass action. I like Superman that he turn him self to authorities and to General Zod so that our planet Earth will be safe. I like that in the film. Superman didn't save only one soldier or Lois he saved more people in the film. He sent back Kryptonians in to black hole - The Phantom Zone. I like that the film doesn't copy the first movie again in which Superman Returns did. I did not want to see another disaster movie that we already had in the first movie and Superman Returns copied it. I did not want to see Lex Luthor again scheming the plot for the third time. Man of Steel is a solid decent superhero movie. I like Zod praising Jor-El (Russell Crowe) this time around. I like that the story in the movie is fresh and does not copy the first movie.

The fight between General Zod and Superman is excellent pure bad-ass in the film and kicks ass. I enjoy it so damn much. The story is about the codex which Zod is after it. He wants to build Krypton and kill all people on earth and Superman fights for us. He stops Zod on the end by killing him.

Pete Ross and Dr. Emil Hamilton are in this movie right from comics in which in other Superman movies they weren't mentioned but only Smalliville Tv Series.

Things I didn't like in the movie: General Zod stabbing Jor-El I did not like that sequence at all.

Clark Kent stealing cloths I hated that, he shouldn't have done that.

I didn't like that Jonathan Kent (Kevin Costner) said Clark should have let those kids to die. (Maybe) he shouldn't have said that.

Clark insults pa Kent that his not his father and during hurricane he doesn't save his father and Jonathan doesn't let him I don't like that in the film.

Lois Lane find out Superman's secret too soon while in Superman The Movie Lois find out the sequel Superman's Identity.

Superman twisting necks I don't like that idea either I don't like it.

Clark destroys a truck about the trucker who throw him a bear in his face.

Directed was by Zack Snyder who also directed Dawn of the Dead, 300 and Watchmen. Yes I enjoy Dawn of the Dead and 300 to death. 8/10 Man of Steel is a good movie, solid, excellent, decent good superhero movie I like it.
  • Caution: spoilers may abound. I think this movie is severely underrated. Most complaints I see are of people who can't let go of the vision of superman they got from Christopher reeve who played a superman who was a god among men who never made mistakes and always knew what to do. That's not someone we relate to in this day and age because in our cynical and jaded society it's impossible to be that morally upright. I like Henry Cavill's superman because he plays a man who has to learn how to be superman. He's not perfect out the gate and he doesn't automatically know how to handle every situation right out the gate. Because of this a lot of lives are lost in the battle of metropolis and superman is forced to end zod because there is no other recourse because there is no way to contain him on earth with all the kryptonian tech is destroyed. Whatever you can say about how believable it is that superman didn't have a choice it's still set up well. Krypton was very beautiful and Russell Crowe made a great jor el. As far as the plot for the movie I understand the criticism that the flashbacks don't make sense but I think the death of Jonathan Kent is done very well because it's a sacrifice intended to keep Clark undercover. All in all its not perfect but it's far from terrible.
    At first I was very nervous at the prospect of another Superman movie. Especially considering how horrible "Superman Returns" was; however, "Man of Steel" was a roller coaster of a ride as we not only witness Kal El's (Clark Kent's) origins, but we are shown Superman the way he is supposed to be.

With expert direction brought to us by Zack Snyder and the assistance of Christopher Nolan, "Man of Steel" is packed full of action and emotional depth. No Superman movie has ever come close to achieving the atmosphere illustrated in the comics or the cartoon series until Zack Snyder's "Man of Steel". Sure it has a lot of action, but anyone who is a true Superman fan knows that Kal El's battles were almost always explosively long. Furthermore, the biblical metaphors were absolutely brilliant! As Superman was intended to be portrayed as a "Christ Like" figure, you see his journey in "Man of Steel" not all that much different from the New Testament. (Ex: When Clark Kent asked the priest for advice, behind him was a stained glass window of Christ praying to His Father before He was arrested and crucified. Next scene Clark Kent willingly submits himself to be arrested, ascends into the "heavens", and than descends in a crucified form) As Superman's story is not about becoming the best, but an immigrant facing the challenge of home VS heritage, we see Zack Snyder's portrayal of Superman reflect the "Man of Steel" originally designed by Joseph Shuster.

Furthermore, who could forget such actors like Henry Cavill (Clark Kent),or Amy Adams (Lois Lane). Every actor in this movie left their mark, but I needed very little convincing to believe that Cavill was the face of Superman, or that Adams could be a persuasive Lois Lane. And although I am not particularly a fan of Michael Shannon, he was the perfect General Zod. With the level of ferocity Shannon provided, not to mention his one liners, this was by far his best role yet!

This movie soared through my expectations and it will be the first time I ever give a Superman movie a perfect 10!
  • I know what the critics has said. They complained about too much action, superman being too serious, lack of romance, etc. Since Zack Snyder directed this movie, I don't think he cared about the critics. Don't get me wrong, he DOES care about the fans' opinion. Seems like he really wanted to really satisfy the fans. I see why critics complained about too much action. For me it's just his way to satisfy the viewers. This is the kind of movie that is just really satisfying. When the movie ended, I got that 'satisfying' feeling instead of the 'wanting more' feeling. It's like it was really enough.

Even Snyder's best movies (before this) which were 300 & Watchmen didn't have more ratings than 64% on Rotten Tomatoes. I think the fans should have anticipated the bad reviews. His style is actually what critics hate. The over the top action and CGI is actually his trademark. So, even from the beginning, I think this is actually the kind of movie the producers wanted. About the lack of romance, I really do think it's saved for the sequel. The sequel will definitely explore more about the relationship between Clark and Lois. This film focused on 2 aspects: the origin (krypon,struggle finding his place) & the action (Zod and his army). Don't expect humor or romance.

The visuals were spectacular! What's best about this movie is its action scenes. The action were just relentless. I think the fans would not be disappointed at all. Yes, I know there is only a very few humor this movie but that actually doesn't even matter. The battle between Superman & Zod will definitely 'wow' everyone but the critics. I mean who cares about the critics opinion? A superhero movie MUST NOT be judged by the critics opinion, what's more important is the audience's opinion about the movie and especially the fans'. I think the movie really delivered. Most people will definitely like this movie. I am really sure that many fanboys will consider this as the best comic book of all time. This is a MUST SEE for people who like action movie. The action were better than last year's The Avengers.

The sequel really have a great potential. Considering the minimum amount of romance in this movie (since they just knew each other, and superman was also more focused on Zod), the next movie could explore more of that. One of the things missing from the movie was also the presence of Clark Kent at the daily planet. It's one of the trade marks. But, I believe the sequel will show more scenes in the Daily Planet which is interesting to see.

As a conclusion, I think Man of Steel is so far the best action movie this year. This movie really is a Snyder movie. But it also has a quite lot of nolan-esque feel to it especially in the around first 45 minutes.

If this was compared to Iron man 3, if Iron man 3 was a 7, this movie is a 8.6.
  • Man Of Steel (2013)

Plot In A Paragraph: An alien orphan is sent from his dying planet to Earth, where he grows up to become his adoptive home's first and greatest superhero.

I will admit from the off Richard Donners Superman is in my Top 10 movies of all time, and probably always will be. But I will try to avoid comparisons.

Lacking the humor and charm of Donner's 1978 Superman and Christopher Reeve's iconic performance (Damn It) pretty much starts from scratch, and has all the trademarks of Nolans work. Like he did with Batman, Nolan puts the man of steel in the real world. The fantasy is gone, as is the bright colours, triumphant music and fighting for truth, justice and the American way. Instead we get dour colours, a slow, melancholy Hanz Zimmer score, suspicion and a world that is not particularly worth saving.

I think it impossible to better Reeve's take on Clark Kent/Superman (damn it again) that said, Henry Cavill has the strapping good looks of the comic book legend and the humanity to match his superheroism. And boy did he get in shape for his shirtless scenes.

Of the supporting Michael Shannon is OK as General Zod. He has definitely been better, but he is OK. I like Any Adams take on Lois Lane, even if Lois is surprisingly chill with wiping out Aliens with a blaster onboard an spaceship. Russell Crowe has a great voice for the voice overs and makes a fine Jor El. I also liked Lawrence Fishburn as Perry White.

But for me, Kevin Costner (who received great reviews) is the heart of the movie. He doesn't appear till over 20 minutes in, has only 4 scenes that run under 10 minutes yet his presence looms large, helped by the fact that his scenes are spaced out throughout the movie. Both Costner and Diane Lane (who I've always had a crush on, and still would here) are great as Clark's Earth parents, although Costner in particular deserves much more screen time.

Those that complained Superman Returns didn't have enough action, will have been happier with this one due to three major battles in the latter half of the movie.

For a movie that's all about saving Earth, there's an unaccountable amount of destruction in Man of Steel. The collateral damage caused by the battles bothered me the first time I seen it, and I was glad it was addressed in Batman V Superman.
    This review is going to be full of spoilers because I am going to mention various gaping plot inconsistencies and outright idiocies in this dog of a film.

Sure, it looks great and the special effects are generally well done. But some people need their movies to at least make some sense.

Let's start with a really basic one: the planet Krypton is going to be destroyed, and no one can be saved except one baby, presumably because they don't have any spacecraft.

Oh but wait, they do have spacecraft. In fact, they have so much spare technology they use it to send criminals into space... so that they will survive and provide enemies for Superman later in the movie.

Jor-El steals the Codex, which apparently contains the DNA of the Kryptonian race. Somehow, there are no backup copies. Oh but what about the actual Kryptonians who are running around destroying things... surely they each have their own DNA? Apparently not, somehow. And how about that baby-making machine in the scout ship: what was it supposed to use if there's only one Codex?

Clark just happens to hear about some top secret ice digging, and somehow knows to go there. How? And Lois Lane is somehow given a tour of the dig and a free place to stay even though she had to sue to be allowed there at all.

Clark discovers the spacecraft and somehow knows how to pilot it and land it somewhere. But then it never gets used again, for example to help fight the invaders later on. Doesn't it have the same kind of engine that's needed to destroy them? And it actually can fly rather than needing to be dropped via an airplane, as Clark's baby spacecraft is at the end of the film. But somehow no one thinks of this.

When Clark is taken to General Zod's ship, he loses his powers because he supposedly needs the gasses in earth's atmosphere to gain and retain his powers. Yet he's shown repeatedly operating in the vacuum of space. If he needed Earth's atmosphere to retain his powers, he should lose them in space.

In numerous fight scenes, massive damage is caused to probably inhabited buildings, which must have resulted in massive loss of life. Why wouldn't Clark/Superman immediately lure his enemies far away from the city, fight over the ocean, in the mountains, etc? In one scene he deliberately throws an enemy through a bunch of buildings, apparently not caring who gets hurt.

At the end, when the world engine is working, Superman flies into its gravity beam where his powers shouldn't exist because the conditions it's creating are like those of Krypton. But after being unable to do anything, he somehow just decides he's going to do it, and then instantly destroys the machine. Because if you really really decide, then you can do anything.

General Zod's ship will be flipped back into the Phantom Zone if its drive field comes in contact with another drive field of the same type, as found in Clark's baby spacecraft. But wait, don't all their small spacecraft use the same engine? Why don't they cause the same problem?

At the end, Superman and General Zod have an extended fight and appear to be equally matched, but when Zod threatens a prototypical family of Father, Mother and Child with his heat vision (and which he somehow doesn't manage to hurt although all he'd have to do is move his eyes slightly), Superman easily kills him, although he was completely unable to damage him until then. Again, just deciding to do something makes it happen.

These are just some of the really obvious major problems, how about some minor but equally stupid ones?

• Perry White, Jenny and Steve are walking away from General Zor's ship when Perry says "where's Jenny?" Oh, she's suddenly stuck under rubble that apparently no one noticed falling, and she hasn't bothered to scream or make any sound at all. They struggle to free her, when suddenly the beam stops and they say "He saved us!", even though they didn't know anything about Superman trying to save them, nor that the destruction wouldn't resume, or in fact anything about what was going on.

• Martha Kent is violently flung 20 feet or more. But apparently she's completely unhurt even though she's elderly and even a simple fall should have been damaging.

• When Superman and Zor are fighting, they fly a great distance and end up falling through the ceiling of something that looks like Grand Central Station. After a few seconds, Lois Lane suddenly appears out of nowhere, because she should be in that scene.

• In a 'heartwarming' scene at the end, Jonathan Kent sees young Clark playing with a cape and gets all misty eyed. Wait, how did he associate a kid playing with a cape with anything at all? Why would a cape signify something to him? It wouldn't.

This is a movie that didn't bother to make any sense, and the fact that people accept all the illogic, plot holes and dumbness of it really depresses me. Special effects shouldn't be enough to make a movie popular. The story and the logic of the story should count for at least as much and more.
  • The trailers of this movie were released in a so effective way that you start to fear if the product will fill your expectations. And with the usual critics-know-about-everything-nothing-is-good- to-me reviews the chances of be confused about this are increasing. As high as the expectations were raised after trailers, i have to tell you that you will not disappointed with this movie. Is different in many ways to the usual superhero movies but is a solid product that fits in what you expect from this kind of film. Nice references to previous movies are well executed and new plot additions are well received too. As you can expect from a Zack Snyder movie, there are several scenes that try to resemble graphic novel arts and in my opinion are very well made. Some of the nicest things about this movie is the way they made the fast moving scenes. The most of them (unfortunately i can't say all of them) look very realistic according laws of physics, the CGI are so well made that you wish that development for many movies you seen before. The movements are what you expect if such kind of people exist in reality.

About the plot, i believe this is the more controversial point of what i see in reviews across the internet. Most moviegoers like it a lot, but are critics the ones ( not all of them) that are giving mixed reviews. What you realize is that critics expect another Dark Knight but this movie is not looking to be a darker one of your beloved Superman. If you are smart enough to understand that this is ANOTHER hero you will be happy with the story. If you are looking for a fourth darker than Batman movie for sure you will agree with critics giving bad reviews. This is a Superman movie and in that scenario this is a very good one.

The movie has some flaws to me for sure ( i don't know about a perfect movie) but i will not comment about that as i believe everyone need to discover by themselves what - if any- dislike for their preferences.

In summary this is a super hero movie that even Marvel fans will appreciate as is giving a whole new level to a classic story, turning the most beloved hero in an actual hero and mixing a great graphic novel specialist with great digital artists to give you a full action packed movie that make a good foundations for sequels.
  • I saw Man Of Steel last night at an advance screening and at no point was I looking down on the movie.From the trailers and TV spots the movie really gets you interested and dying for more.And the Movie itself soars(yes I know ha-ha)above the expectations.

First of all Henry Cavill is an excellent Clark Kent/Superman.He really gives the character that "not wanted" or "don't feel like you belong" feeling.The cast in the movie is excellent including Russell Crowe and Michael Shannon.Russell Crowe really expands on Jor-el's character and makes him more than just a voice helping Clark.Michael Shannon as Zod is terrific.He was even better than Superman 2's Zod.

The fight scenes in the movie are astonishing.It makes up for all the lack of conflict Superman Returns had.The fight scenes are very destructive yes but there is a very good story around it so it wasn't just mindless explosions like Transformers.Man of steel was by far the best movie of the year.
  • I wanted to like this movie. Admittedly, I went in with high expectations, but I thought the names behind the movie, the actors and the beautiful trailer justified my high hopes.

And - at first - I thought it was all going to work out. For the first 40 minutes or so, this movie is awesome. Krypton, an ALIENated Clark Kent doing odd jobs on earth, a confused boy trying to cope with his powers...

Some reviewers have bashed the movie for being too serious, but there's nothing wrong with a little seriousness, or a little reverence towards the character. In the first half, I think the tone is perfect. A little dark, sure, but it all feels like we're building up towards something truly awesome. Then, kind of suddenly, the main story with Zod and the action starts. And, as much as I love action movies, I really wished it hadn't.

When the serious actions starts, all coherent story telling stops. In the blink of an eye the movie goes from feeling like a sci-fi Batman Begins to Transformers 3 minus the nuanced story telling. Suddenly Superman is here and we get these big sweeping beautiful scenes, and they're just completely boring and out of place. And I don't even want to talk about the totally contrived Lois Lane - Superman romance. (Lots of sighs, and "WTF?" comments at the theater I was in).

I kept waiting for it to recapture the tone of the first half, but the action just keeps getting bigger and dumber. In the middle of the unending action spectacle of the second half, I actually nodded off.

This movie had the creative talent, and the actors to make something really great. And I feel like without a Michael Bay explosion quota maybe they could have done it here... But in the end this is a missed opportunity.
  • I really enjoyed this movie. I am a big fan of action and superhero movies, and this did not disappoint. First of all I thought they did a great job on casting Superman. Henry Cavill fits the role perfectly. I liked the supporting cast, except thought they could have done better with Lois Lane. The plot starts out with Superman (Kal-El) being born, and quickly jumps into him being in his 20's and saving people. They show some of his growing up, through flashbacks but I wish they would have done more of this. You don't have to see any previous Superman movies to see this one, you get the whole back story. There was a ton of good action scenes, almost too much I thought. Plot was pretty good, but also pretty predictable. I saw the 3-D version, and I am not a big fan of 3-D. While this movie did not give me a headache, like 'The Hobbit', I didn't think the 3-D added that much, and I would recommend seeing the 2-D version! Overall I gave it a 9/10. Good action, fun, entertaining movie.
  • This is not like all the previous Superman movies. This is not "Smallville". This is not the sequel of "Superman Returns". This is "Man of Steel"! This movie is awesome.

I am not a big fan of Superman but this is the best Superman movie I've ever seen. (Christopher Reeve's version is also good, but this Man of Steel is better. And.. the Brandon Routh's version? Naaaaah...) The plot is really structural. Not so many flashbacks, so you won't get confused. The whole storyline is just really simple. It told the very beginning of Superman and then, yeah, his adulthood.

The special effects here, I think it is as awesome as Marvel's Avengers. Yeah, alien and superheroes, what do you expect? Battle scenes are good, I can feel Zack Snyder "300" sensation in here.

Henry Cavill succeeded bringing a whole new version of Superman to the big screen. He wiped out all our knowledge of the previous Superman movies and replaced it with a darker version of Superman (Nolan's kinda "darkness") This movie is enjoyable. See? There's still hope for DC Comics' superheroes movies.
  • Jack Snyder's fresh take on Superman/Man of Steel is... fresh indeed. A superhero movie that maxes visual wizardry but beautifully balanced by emotional tones without feeling heavy. Gone is the sleek metal and crystal polish we have known replaced by a techno- organic theme (reminds me of Prometheus) that is both regal and advanced. This is perhaps the only Superman film with the best narrative of the Kryptonian's heritage and history. Good casting and an impressive performance by Russell Crowe. I give it an 8.5/10 (just behind Dark Knight Rises IMHO). The Dad in me deems this movie watchable by kids (more age-appropriate, less violent than Iron Man 3)
  • I have never been a hardcore superman fan, but I was fortunate enough to see an early showing of Zack Snyder's reboot. And I must say, I am quite impressed. Casual moviegoers and superhero fans will find something to enjoy. Man of Steel has great wreck- everything action that makes full use of 3D effects and simply looks awesome. The story is decently paced, and fueled by strong performances by Michael Shannon and Russell Crow(e). The character Perry White wasn't used to his full potential, but that's forgivable. If you're a fan of classic superman, you might be disappointed by the fact that this man of steel is pretty up- tight. He has only two or three lines that are humorous, making him less charming then the Christopher Reeve superman. The charm is replaced by the character development the man of steel experiences when he must choose between his past and his future. (that makes for an awesome showdown, by the way.) To summarize, I give Man of Steel an 8.6 for it's portrayal of a classic American hero.
    Guys... I'll be honest here... This movie does not do justice to Superman. I mean, for a person who doesn't know anything about Superman except that he flies around in a blue suit, will find the movie exceptionally good. But for a person who has ever tried to read Superman or watched Superman stuff before, this movie is going to be a disappointment.

The movie doesn't portray what Superman stands for. For the last 75 years, Superman has been a pacifist. He JUST DOESN'T KILL...NO MATTER WHAT.. HE JUST DOESN'T KILL....

SPOILER ALERT: 1. The movie shows that the blue suit was given to Superman by Jor-El. But this hasn't appeared in any version of Superman so far. In fact, its Martha Kent, who gave the suit to him.

2. Clark finds the suit on an abandoned Kryptonian Scout Ship. Now the point to be noted is... the ice around the ship was found to be over 3000 years old... So the ship must have landed there over 3000 years ago... While Clark's age is shown to be only 33 years... Does that mean Jor-El sent a ship to Earth 3000 years ago, with a suit that he wanted to give as a gift to his son 3000 years later??? 3. Jonathan Kent didn't die in a tornado... he died of a heart attack in all versions of Superman ever published...

4. The Genetic data of all kryptonians was never a part of Superman's body cells.. In fact, there were only a handful of survivors which escaped in the bottled city of Kandor.

5. Clark Kent grows up on Earth and spends 33 years of his life adjusting to his powers... Zod does that in minutes?????? 6. The much awaited Superman's Rippled Shield of the house of El which was much advertised... I didn't see in on Superman's suit... I saw it at the end-credits...

7. Superman goes super-sonic??? Blasphemy.... He is the guy who can travel faster than the speed of light... and they only manage to make him go super-sonic??? 8. Superman never lets innocent civilians get hurt... NEVER... He will give up his own life to protect them... Yet in the entire fight sequence he never tries to take the fight away from Metropolis. Instead he keeps on ramming Zod into buildings and brings down half the city...killing God know how many...

9. Helicopter sequence... Superman saves the guy who fell from the Helicopter which has gone out of control... But he lets the pilot and remaining crew perish and crash to the ground.

10. Superman coughs up in smoke... as shown in the movie itself... when he was a kid... he saved a bus from drowning... and then saved Pete Ross too... He is able to hold his breath under water... In the oil- rig scene... he stays under water when the oil rig explodes... When he takes flight for the first time he goes in the orbit in the outer space... all of that... and amidst a little smoke... he stars coughing like he has contracted Tuberculosis??? 11. Superman collapses and "BLEEDS" from the mouth when he enters Zod's ship... Dude.. seriously... Kryptonite makes him weak... and he becomes like an ordinary human in presence of a Red Sun like Krypton had... But never does he BLEED...

12. And the best one of all of them... Zod is trying to kill a few people with his heat vision... Superman has Zod in a vice and he is holding Zod's head... perfectly capable of directing Zod's heat vision wherever he pleases... or he could have covered up Zod's eyes with his hand... But instead... He chose to break his neck... Wow Superman... way to stand by everything to symbolized for the last 75 years...

Believe me when I say this... the movie was good.. but it just wasn't Superman... it was some random guy in a blue suit who flies around killing people.
    I know that this is not a sequel to the other films or series... But if something should exist in this one is the consistency... You can not just take a symbol (for some like me sacred) such as SUPERMAN and make this joke called MAN OF STEEL only for get a lot of money (that is called "sell your soul")... The essence of Superman is that he is the symbol of hope, because of that SUPERMAN is not a SUPER-MAN by their supernatural powers, instead he is by their conviction, principles and values​​, the teachings of his father Jhonathan and what learns JOR-EL (not in 5 minutes)...

Therefore:

-SUPERMAN does not kill!!! (No matter what happens)

-Jhonathan always will protect Clark's secret, but never say it was better to let children die because of it. never!

-Jor-El dies stabbed? Lara dies alone???

-Jhonathan dies in a hurricane, and Clark does not do anything???

-Clark becomes Superman in less than 5 minutes, only for wearing the suit?

-Lois Lane tells almost half the planet that Clark is SUPERMAN (she even goes to the Kent house, looking for Clark with the police)...

-SUPERMAN does not kill... Did i told you that???

I've always admired the work of Kevin Costner, Russell Crowe, Lawrence Fishburne, Diane Lane, among others... But I can not understand that they have agreed to participate in a film that should inspire people to always be better based on the fact that the truth, justice, equality and above all humanity are most powerful things of all the universe.

Today my heart feels stabbed and my faith in humanity more destroyed than ever, the few things that inspired me to always become a better person is destroyed, trampled and spit like crap ... Even worse is to see the indifference of those who criticize the movies and say that it is an excellent movie just to be full of special effects an a history without sense... Even I read someone say that Henry Cavill is much better SUPERMAN than Christopher Reeve, when the truth is that Chris Reeve was much more SUPER MAN in real life until the end of his days, than it was in their own movies...

I think at heart, that this team had in its hands the opportunity to do something magical, colossal but, they waste time in making this blockbuster only by the desire of the money ...

Dc Comics I will not even think of the anger I have against you right now!

I just hope that IMDb publish this review as it was written so that if any person connected directly with the creators of this movie can understand my frustration and maybe if they plan to make a sequel to this movie rectify and understand that they are are dealing not only with a success at the box office but the idea that behind that "S" which means HOPE hides much more... SUPERMAN is not a comic, not a fantasy character, not a marketing article... It is an idea, a way of life, that there are still good things in the world... respect that!

This is a translation with the help of Google Translate
  • At first I was nervous to go see this movie. The critics hated it for the most part. Honestly, I can understand why. The story wasn't the focus of this movie. Zack Snyder's movies are all about visual interest. Nolan, I think, on the other hand is about story and realism.

I was interested in the beginning to see how they would balance it out. I think critics had this idea it would be like the batman movies mixed with the Avengers. It's not really. It's a visual masterpiece. Well, maybe masterpiece is a strong word to use, but the visual special effects are amazing. I personally think they are the best I have ever seen. If you are going to see this movie, realize that you are going to see a movie with a ton of special effects and they are the thing Snyder cares about the most.

The movie does a back and forth between the past and present day. Nolan really takes over the story when it shifts to the past. The past drives the current story and it does it well I believe. Without spoiling anything, the past shows why Clark Kent has become the man he is today and it doesn't hold much back. There is going to be a large battle scene at the end, the critics noted it was over 20 minutes long. It probably was, but I like to think it was well done. Critics, and a lot of people have an issue with the ending, once again not to spoil anything, it gets dark. I think people expected this to be a super kid friendly movie, it's not. I don't know what gave people this idea, but with Zack Snyder and Nolan working together, you had to expect it to be a darker, more realistic movie.

Could the story have been better? Maybe. But for what that movie was, it was the perfect story for it. Could the special effects been better? No way. That's really what you're going for.

It's a good story, nothing phenomenal, but a great looking movie. It's not a kids movie and you shouldn't expect it to be. It deals with how people have to make choices and the lines are never black and white and where that grey is, is what makes Man of Steel a great superhero movie.
  • I am a big superman fan and luckily got a chance to see its early screening and believe me it was a brilliant movie. I had very high expectations from the movie and this film has completely exceeded my expectation. The visual effects and action sequences in the movie are actually the best I have ever seen. It easily overcomes The Avengers in every single way and will for sure emerge as a big blockbuster film at the box office. I don't know why the critics are saying that it focused more on the action than on clark kent's character. It was completely balanced in all ways. Its a must watch movie for every one and in my opinion its not only the best movie of this summer but also the best comic book movie of all time. And yes with a better score also put in by Hans Zimmer. 10/10
  • gragz7719 June 2013
    Months on after calming down and watching it again, I've decided to up my rating from 3 to 7.

First of all, if you're a die hard Superman fan like myself. Then you might be slightly disappointed that this Superman doesn't share the same morals as his predecessors.

Like the earlier movies Kal-El is born on the doomed planet Krypton. His loving father Dur-El rescues his son by sending him to Earth as a last resort to continue the Kryptonian bloodline. Kal-El grows up on a farm in Smallville with Super Powers and the name Clark Kent. This is where the similarities between Man of Steel and the Superman series end. Which is why it got a few peoples backs up.

When watched with an open mind and seeing it for what it is (A whole new movie) it's actually very good. The specials are incredible though some times slightly overdone (Especially the shaky camera). The acting is top notch and Henry Cavill plays the role excellently.

I think it's 7.5 Overall rating on IMDb is where this movie belongs and should be viewed by everybody.

MY OLD REVIEW "If you can overlook any Superman film or series you've ever seen, put aside a million and 1 inconsistencies and watch with an open mind. Then this is the film for you.

Superman is not just a man with superpowers but a man with strong morals that means more to him than his own life. Under no circumstances does Superman endanger the lives of civilians. The big battle will have killed thousands and thousands of people, and left millions injured or trapped. But "Superman" continues to throw Zod through buildings, without a care in the world for the people inside as the building collapses to the floor."
    I find it interesting that I grew up reading comic books yet didn't like the granddaddy of superheroes, Superman. Why?

I found him silly, unrealistic, buffoonish. The four films starring the late Chris Reeve cemented my viewpoint. Leave him to the non-fanboys, I thought. They can have and keep him, I thought. What changed my mind?

His appearance on his solo late 90s animated series, "Justice League: The Animated Series" and "Smallville". He has feelings, doubts, real internal conflicts. He's relatable! The bottle cap of that revelation happens to be the sixth film featuring Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster's iconic hero and the sixth film by madcap fanboy director Zack Snyder (the Dawn of the Dead remake, "300", "Watchmen", "Legend Of The Guardians", "Sucker Punch"). The less said about the 2006 misstep, the better...

The birth of the baby, named Kal-El, precedes the destruction of his home planet Krypton, forcing his parents, scientist Jor-El (impressive Russell Crowe of "American Gangster") and ex-astronaut Lara Lor-Van (elegant Ayelet Zurer of "Darling Companion") to send him to Earth via rocket ship with the genetic codes of many Kryptonians. Fanatical military leader General Zod (manic Michael Shannon of "Boardwalk Empire") tries to stop this during a coup d'etat, but fails and he and his loyalists are sentenced to the Phantom Zone.

Kal-El, meanwhile, is found and rechristened as Clark Joseph Kent by farmers Jonathan (Kevin Costner of "Silverado") and Martha Kent (Diane Lane of "Under The Tuscan Sun"), but his budding powers make him an outcast. So, as an adult (buff but noble Henry Cavill of "The Tudors" and "Whatever Works"), Clark leaves Smallville, Kansas, becoming a nomadic worker, until, as an Alaskan expedition grunt, he discovers a Kryptonian spacecraft that reveals his heritage and destiny. It's a good thing too as Zod and his group are freed from the Zone by their planet's end, and they see Earth as a new home. Uh-oh...

If you try to compare "Man Of Steel" with the older films, you'll be disappointed. With a powerful yet down-to-earth, sometimes non-linear script by David S. Goyer and Chris Nolan (the Dark Knight trilogy) on his lap, Snyder throws away the camp and silliness of said films and, like the under-rated "Watchmen", matures the superhero archetype. Chris Reeve's Superman can't exist in the real, let alone post-Sept. 11 world; he looks dumb, phony, anachronistic. If you're the only powerful alien on a planet whose populace could fear and hate you, you're far from sociable, but you try to make a difference anyway. Mr. Cavill plays that role to total competence.

He's lucky to be surrounded by a strong supporting cast, composed of Oscar winners and nominees and Emmy winners and nominees. Crowe has an middle-aged Obi Wan Kenobi tone that outdoes Marlon Brando's Jor-El; Costner (hauntingly good) and Lane (warm & sweet) are baby boomers with Norman Rockwell hints; Laurence Fishburne (the Matrix saga) is dead-on caustic as Daily Planet chief editor Perry White and Chris Meloni (Law & Order: SVU) is valiant as an Air Force colonel.

Like Cavill, the next two actors have refashioned their characters. As Zod, Mr. Shannon gives an A-game performance, being a mad dog with an army unit, technology and a well-meaning but twisted goal to save his race, conflicting with Mr. Crowe's noble means. It's a Sam Peckinpah bromance on a galatical scale (the director was slated to direct the 1978 film but his rep went south).

The other thespian's button-cute Amy Adams ("Junebug", "Enchanted") as Daily Planet news hound Lois Lane, who befriends our hero. Sure, she's independent and gutsy, but, thanks to the lack of camp, she's also smart, likable, relatable and realistic, not the inane harpy who demeans milksops.

Someone to look out for is Antje Traue as Zod's icy, loyal right-hand lady, Faora-Ul. "For every human you save, we will kill a million more," she promises to Kal-El during a chaotic brawl in his hometown. Speaking of the battles, they are fast and destructive, echoing the "Dragon Ball" animated series. I think I lost a tooth or two...

Hans Zimmer's day-and-night score is Oscar worthy. D.P Amir Morki captures rural tranquilness and urban destruction capably. SFX wiz John Desjardin's work inspires, especially Krypton's magnetic nanotech.

Supposed fans will moan and bitch over this film, but maybe they really don't know Superman as they think they do as they dismiss his fellow heroes at DC Comics, let alone the whole comic book medium. The character's not Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse, Woody Woodpecker or Yogi Bear. Despite his powers, he's a person like the rest of us. That's what makes him a great hero, well deserving of a high quality summer blockbuster that's one of 2013's best.
  • (My first review on IMDb EVER. I don't know why I feel so strongly about defending this movie.)

As a summer tentpole, Man of Steel delivers. It's sprawling, feels epic, and is loaded with enough booms and bangs to keep the popcorn going. But don't let that distract you from the story: the origin is properly managed, and although it does look back to Donner's take on Superman II, it's been given a fresh spin.

Let's face it, he's called SUPERman. They've made him out to be a god on earth, and the action is adequately OTT to address it. This isn't a movie that's meant to be taken seriously; if you can believe a man can fly, you should be able to appreciate the outrageous action.

This is clearly not The Dark Knight, but you'll at least leave the cinema with a hint of a smile on your face, and feeling that the money spent was actually worth it.

High spot: Seeing Russel Crowe as Jor-el. What a fella. Low spot: The last 20 minutes fell a bit flat - but they weren't dull. Feels like: Big, loaded with thrills and spills.
    All in all i have to say Man of Steel is a great film, saw the early screening and believe me this film is up there with TASM and Batman Begins. I expect the film to be divisive for the reasons being this isn't the Donner Continuity. Matter a fact most of the critics of this film kept referencing to the Donner Films every paragraph in their reviews. Let me get this out of the way right now and this is a sad reality to people who are fans of COMIC BOOK Superman. Nobody knows comic book superman a lot of people claim superman was always light hearted, that is BS when Jerry Siegel and Joel Shuster made superman he was a very serious character and wasn't a boyscout the popular idea of Superman being who he is ( which is slowly changing with MOS and post crisis version) is Silver Age and that's a fact a lot of fans don't want to admit.

Man Of Steel does a amazing job and giving us Modern Superman better then Brandon Routh ever did in all honesty. His Superman was too selfish. Henry Cavill Superman serious demeanor is pure Kingdom Come superman and Golden Age Superman and Bruce Timm superman from the 90s( the original vision of the writers superman was supposed to be taken has a serious science fiction character has superman earliest adventure dealt with crime and corporate greed and a lot of his villains dealt with Transdimsional travel like some Bioshock Infinite stuff. Comics Code came along and we have Silver Age campyness. Anyways the special effects and the acting are solid. Superman is a bit to serious but i really don't care there are Superman in comics that are very serious like Kingdom Come Superman and to me Cavill Superman falls under pure Golden Age Superman personality.

Russel Crowe was awesome in this film he has more screen time and everyone will agree this is the best Jor El ever in all honesty better then Brando IMO.

Micheal Shannon has Zod was the only this that was disappointing but he was still good none the less and still way more threatening then the Mandarin of Iron Man 3 or the Real Mandarin i might add. DC at least showing that there villains are not throw away characters.

Amy Adams has Lois Lane is great and i expect there relationship to expand more in the sequel to this film ( which will definitely be better since WB wants Star Wars Empire Strikes Back Writer and Lost Ark Indiana Jones film) I have a feeling that she is the best Lois Lane and why some people may think its a miscast it is not IMO it isn't.

Kevin Cosner and Diana Lane are great in this showing a more realistic depiction or should i say NOT the Silver Age Superman's your destined for great things Pa and Ma Kent like we had but the more Golden Age Version when they were very over protective of Clark has a child.

Action in this film rivals the avengers and the spectacle is absolutely incredible MOS fight scenes have Heart the critics are BS a lot cause i didn't see them say anything about Iron Man 3 fights don't you. Man of Steel has raised the bar on action in Superhero films and i expect the action will be toned down for the sequel a bit more cause of the possibility of Lex Luthor has the villain. Man of Steel for me has a Comic Book fan of Superman and love for DC and Marvel characters Man of Steel is a thrilling experience and will entertain Man of Steel will be the Anti Iron Man Fans love it audience love it critics pan it. But for me Man of Steel is a 9.8/10
  • I have read some critics here, the great, the good, the so so, and the bad ones. I understand everyone has right for his opinions, and I certainly understand some people have high standards. But what I get out of these negative reviewers is they are just haters. Haters are going to be haters. No other ways to put it.

First of all, when you walk into a theater to watch a blockbuster movie like MOS, what do you expect. Anyone who has seen the trailers should pretty much guess the story line, because general Zod's name was mentioned. So for these people to expect great story line completely blow their mind, they are simply asking for way too much. After all, superman's story has been told SO many times, there are certain things you simply can't just change. I think this movie did a great job to add some novelties to the character.

Secondly, for those complain about too much fighting scene, imagine this really happens in a large city like New York or Chicago. You expect Zod will take it easy simply because it's earth? The whole point of this movie is to make it believable, we are not living in a world of 1970's any more. Things have to follow real law of physics if they want to look real. If superman can fly faster than a bullet, this is what he should fly like, not just floating in the air, so people can see how he flies. If you want to do that, go back to see the superman from 1978. That's the year you should have never grow out of. Unfortunately, this is 2013. I hate people give low scores to a film simply because they can without justifying the score while brag about their intelligence. I don't see any of that intelligence showing from their reviews at all.

Finally, like every movie, this movie has its flaws, I think the kissing scene was way too sudden after all the big fights, it was not very convincing they would feel such a strong urge to kiss each other rather than looking for survivors. But again, as much as I liked Revengers, how much fighting scenes in that movie was believable? Blackwidow kicking ass using a hand gun against flying aliens, yeah, that really made sense! The point is, sometimes, you just need to throw all your prejudice out of the window and treat the film with respect, and learn to enjoy it. If with an open mind, it still turns out to be a bad movie, then by all means. I think this is a solid 9/10 superhero movie deserves better reviews.
  • Man of Steel is a movie about the origins of Clark Kent/Kal-El(Henry Cavill). When their planet Krypton is on the verge of destruction, Kal's parents, Jor-El(Russell Crowe) & Lara Lor-Van(Ayelet Zurer) send him to Earth on a spaceship along with Codex, which is something that contains the DNA of every unborn Kryptonian. Clark lands on Earth & is raised on a farm in Kansas by two loving parents, Jonathan(Kevin Costner) & Martha Kent(Diane Lane). However, when Clark is old enough, Jonathan tells him that he's an alien & believes that he was sent here for a reason & even if it takes him his whole life, Clark owes it to himself to find out what that reason is. So, Clark goes on a journey to find out who he really is. When Clark saves Lois Lane(Amy Adams), she is amazed by his abilities & wants to know more about him. Meanwhile, another Kryptonian called General Zod(Michael Shannon) finds out that the Codex is on Earth along with Kal-El. He lands on Earth & tells everyone that they are either supposed to give him Kal-El or he's going to destroy the entire planet. Now, it is up to Superman to either do as Zod says & turn himself in or, save the day!

Man of Steel was an outrageously spectacular & epic film! The special effects were mind blowing, especially in 3D. I must say that I loved Superman's new suit & I'm glad that he's not wearing his iconic red underwear. After the last couple of Superman films were huge disappointments, I was really hoping that this reboot would rejuvenate the Superman franchise. With Zack Snyder hired to direct & Christopher Nolan coming on board as the producer, Warner Bros. & DC were already halfway there. So, my expectations were pretty high. This movie did not disappoint! It surpassed my expectations by a huge margin. This is the best movie of 2013, so far. I think it's also going to be the best summer blockbuster of this year. The action in this movie is surreal, visually stunning & mind numbingly brilliant. Each fight scene between Superman & General Zod, Faora-Ul(Antje Traue) and the other enemies had me on the edge of my seat. Henry Cavill has done a spectacular job as Clark Kent/Superman. For me, he's even better than Christopher Reeve as Superman. Amy Adams is outstanding as Lois Lane. She's not just your average damsel in distress, she also helps Superman a lot. Michael Shannon is great as baddie, General Zod. Kevin Costner is mind blowing as Jonathan Kent. Diane Lane is impressive as Martha Kent. Laurence Fishburne is hilarious as Perry White. Russell Crowe is great as Jor-El. Antje Traue & Ayelet Zurer are effective as Faora-Ul & Lara Lor-Van respectively. I would like to conclude by saying, Man of Steel is an outstanding film. Even if you are not a fan of the comics, you will still love this film.
    I have NEVER been so disappointed in a movie in my life. How in the world can the story of Superman be screwed up so badly. I wish I could get my money back. The storyline was bad, the acting was bad, the action scenes were too much. Why would they do this to such a great story. I honestly do not see how anyone could like this movie if they have ever known anything about Superman. The scenes from Krypton were bad, the way they used flashbacks to tell the Smallville story was bad, the whole Zod storyline was poorly written. The battle scenes look like they destroyed Metropolis yet Clark goes to work at the Daily Planet at the end???? This was an overproduced poorly written movie with a storyline that has so much potential. I suggest everyone save their money.
  • Man of Steel - I thought it's gonna be like The Amazing Spiderman at first. Same storyline, same plot, and just a little bit fresh look and technology touch up for a new millennial version of a superhero movie. Watching it for the first hour, I was about to give it a solid 4/5, until it went up to such perfection level of watching satisfaction. The storyline was quite impressive, without losing its originality but a better improvement in line. The plotting of the synopsis was done amazingly different than the other versions of Superman we ever saw in the theater. And characteristically, it was perfectly put on such great screenplay. I wasn't sure if Henry Cavill was a suitable role player with Amy Adams for the Clark-Loise characters, but through out the movie, they seemed like doing the best as it should. Clark is a good choice. And I can see there's somewhere in the scenes, Tom Welling is never left behind for the heroic role. He resembles him very much. And not to forget, there are some extra credit deserved to this movie, which somehow balanced the movie to its perfection. I even love the arts of its photography. It was full of drama and actions, emotions and everything else needed to be there in a great, legendary film should be. Everything was perfectly there, from the storyline itself, the plotting, the casting, the cinematography, the screenplay, the actions and all the effects, the plus and minus, and the everything. It was perfectly superb! If you're ever wanted for a great movie, this is one of your definite option! Almost there, full stars!