User Reviews (278)

• Case 39 (2009)

The clever plot isn't quite clever enough to keep you going through the whole movie, but almost. And both Renee Zellwegger as the passionate and trapped social worker and Jodelle Ferland as the adorable but mysterious child are quite amazing. Both are actors at the best of their powers, Zellwegger limited only by the role and the writing, which is very good but not quite flexible enough to let her show as many of those perplexed and touching nuances she is so good at (seen equally in "Bridget Jones's Diary" and "Nurse Betty"). But it's possible Ferland has the role of her life here. She's not only playing a precocious child, but is clearly a precocious young actress, bright, expressive, surprising, and not merely cute. By the way she was fifteen when it was filmed, even though she looks and acts, in most ways, like she's ten.

You can't ignore the plot, of course, since this is a plot driven movie saved by two great actresses, not the other way around. And the story is a little bit of a formula with a twist. The twist is good, but it is singular. Eventually we are carried from a personal and social drama with some evil people to a supernatural drama. It's here where things get scariest, but also where things wobble slightly in terms of believability or logic, if logic has any place here. For example, once the antagonist is shown to have really limitless powers of some kind (possibly imaginary), why does this person not have the power to just kill someone out and out? There is dangled the idea that this bad force depends on fear to proceed, but this isn't developed clearly, or maybe you have to see it twice to get.

On the other hand, if you just go with the flow, it's really increasingly scary. There are some scenes, like the woman in the hospital room that turns into a kind of large oven, that are chilling and really well done. Certainly Zellwegger's character is able to find the outlines of logic as she tries to survive by outsmarting the situation, and we're on her side. Eventually it comes to a dramatic climax, and it's pretty exciting. A sleeper, for sure.
  • I found it somewhat difficult to rate this film in all honesty. Some elements are surprisingly good, while others are just cliché'd and melodramatic. I enjoyed it overall and would have given it an 8/9 had there not been various glaring inconsistencies that were impossible for me to ignore. I've never been one to overly obsess about plot holes or implausibilities, but at times Case 39 doesn't even bother to follow the rules that it's made for itself.

Renee Zellweger plays Emily, a child protective services worker, who ultimately saves a 10 year old girl, Lilly from her abusive parents. She takes a maternal interest in Lilly but problems arise shortly after having removed the girl from her home. At this point, even if you haven't seen the trailer (I didn't), you can guess where the story is headed. This is not a problem because it works in the films favor. The tension and buildup are excellent as we wait for Renee to catch up to where we are. We know what's going to happen and so it creates an uneasiness that stays with us throughout the entirety of the film. There are some genuinely creepy moments ( I think I counted 3), and a host of other cheap "jumpy" scenes that sometimes work and sometimes don't. The movie managed to catch me off guard a couple times, and seeing as how I'm a huge horror buff, I'd say that's impressive. More times than not, I can anticipate a scare, but there were some scenes that had me on edge.

The acting is adequate amongst all the principal characters, the direction choppy in places, the look of the film is beautiful. Once again I just had a problem with the factors that didn't add up. For instance, if a character is what the film says it is, then why can't it get itself out of the situation that occurs at the end of the film? By definition of what this character is, the laws that confine "normal" people shouldn't apply to it, right? Also the explanation for what "it" wants is very unclear and flimsy at best. Without a clear understanding of the motivation, without an answer to "WHY?", it left me feeling a little unstable about the whole story.

All in all, it's still a great way to spend a couple hours if you can spare them. I consider it money well spent. If nothing else, you will definitely be entertained.
  • This film is about a social worker taking a young girl into her home, as the girl's parents tried to kill her.

Though Renee Zellweger is not particularly convincing as a social worker, she conveys her feeling of threat very well, making her stressed out character vivid. The plot is good, as at first it makes you feel so sympathetic and sorry for the girl, then it slowly prepares you for something entirely different. The story is so engaging and scary, that I wanted to see more of what's going to happen, yet I wanted to see less because it's scary. "Case 39" is successful in creating a suspenseful atmosphere, full of threat and uncertainty. I don't know why "Case 39" is having trouble getting distribution and and a release date, as I find it a very scary horror film.
  • Khiari1879 March 2010
    After having been let down by many films recently this, and then newly released Triangle, have been a welcome release.

Everything in Case 39 is at least very good. Renne Zellweger is excellent as the empathic, Emily Jenkins. Really perfectly cast for the role and gives the film an underlying security, which for me at least, was needed. The young actress,Jodelle Ferland, is generally really good and at times, show stealing. She is in fact superb as the rather troubled youngster.. The chemistry between the two leads is what compliments what is a rather twisted but truly fantastic story.

The story paces itself perfectly and draws you into its sphere of horror with a soft hand and kicks you out with a firm smack at the end. The only sad thing is a lack of replay value. I just wish i could go back and watch it for the first time all over again..

Chilling and enchanting horror film, a must see
  • mrmovie-3003318 November 2016
    First ignore the haters who hate on the movie due to the fact it ain't your usual horror There's no gore it's not a slasher it's a thriller that simple not a horror Now as for the movie I am not a Renee Zellweger fan Hell I most likely spelt her name wrong In fact her movies bore me to tears but this was brilliant It was suspenseful thriller that delivered the acting was brilliant The young girl was terrifying you must watch it

As for the morons on here saying its predictable what are you smoking It's anything but predictable the movie tells you the girl isn't a helpless little sweetheart It says in the movie description there's more to this girl then meets the eye It just goes to prove the ignorance of some people You know from the start that there's something different about this girl It tells you that in the bloody movies description

As for the movie A social worker fights to save a girl from abusive parents only to discover Soon after taking her in that this girl isn't what she thinks

It's a brilliant movie ignore the ignorant comments watch this movie
    The dedicated social assistant of child service Emily Jenkins (Renée Zellweger) has a huge backlog of cases of abused children to take care. However, her chief Wayne (Adrian Lester) delivers two more cases for her and Emily heads to interview the family of Lilith Sullivan (Jodelle Ferland), the young abused daughter of Edward Sullivan (Callum Keith Rennie) and Margaret Sullivan (Kerry O'Malley). Emily finds the parents very weird persons and forces Wayne to summon them for additional interviews. Emily connects to the sweet Lilith and during the night, she feels that the girl would be in danger and together with Detective Barron (Ian McShane), they invade the Sullivan's house and find the couple trying to burn Lilith inside the oven. Lilith is sent to a child care and she asks Emily to adopt her. Emily requests to take care of Lilith and the girl moves to her house. Sooner Emily learns that Lilith is not as innocent as she seems to be.

"Case 39" is a scary horror film with great screenplay and performances. The bleak story begins in the direction of a drama, and out of the blue shifts to a suspenseful psychological horror film as has some common aspects with "Orphan". The end is not bad with the victory of the good, but this film deserved a better and darker ending. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Caso 39" ("Case 39")
  • The beginning intrigued me. What is the entity in question, and why is it tormenting Lilith, and her parents before her? Why do the parents blame Lilith when she is clearly a victim? This is the main thing Case 39 has going for it: you won't know at first what type of movie it will end up being. Later in the film, though, it has chosen its bag of clichés and sticks to them. Which bag? Ah, that would be telling.

This being said, the common devices director Alvart chooses for the film still work, and Ferland (Lilith) does a good job in a demanding role for a girl who was twelve or thirteen years old when the movie was completed, on 2007. It was finally released in October of 2010, the month of Ferland's sixteenth birthday.

Why you should see it You enjoy things, other than your annoying upstairs neighbor, that go "bump" in the night. You still find Zellweger to be as adorable as she was the first time she said "you had me at hello," and not nearly as annoying as that line became upon its 300th repetition. You like your paranormal phenomena to surround pale, creepy kids.

Why you shouldn't see it You're terribly afraid of hornets, heights, shotguns, ovens, carving knives, bodies of water, forks, and blunt objects, and you don't feel up to confronting all of these phobias within the space of two hours.
  • I checked this movie out after watching a trailer online and I gotta say, it delivered. It was a nice little surprise for this major horror fan. It didn't rely on the "jump scare" which so many horror movies depend on lately, although it had a few. It created a very creepy atmosphere that stayed til the very end. Given, this movie could've supported better acting (I'm looking at you, Renee) and directing but if you're looking to be entertained and a little creeped out for 90 minutes then check it out. It runs in the tradition of movies like "The Reaping" and "Orphan" where the child in the movie makes you feel a little uneasy the entire time. Defiitely one of the better straight to DVD movies in awhile. If you are a horror fan then this movie should put an evil lil grin on your bloody face. However, if you stray more towards romcoms and drama then go rent Love Actually or some other random terrible movie.
  • aqos-111 January 2010
    This is a movie we have seen before just written in different ways. A girl is suspected of being abused and the case worker takes a very personal interest in her. When the parents are removed from the situation, the girl begs for the love of the social worker, which she gets. Renee Zellweger does a decent job in this movie. I would not call it a horror movie. It is suspenseful, but nothing I thought was overly horrific. The little girl does a brilliant job playing the victim. Predictable, the social worker takes this child into her home pending placement elsewhere and finds that this little girl is not quite what she seems. She seeks out different methods to deal with the problem, but it ultimately ends up just like I thought it would. Not the worst movie ever made.
  • When I watch a movie my main scale is: Did this movie entertain me? And "Case 39" definitely did. I am not really a fan of creepy movies, but I thought that the cast was good, so gave it a chance and I am glad that I did it. The script is well done, although it is not to difficult to imagine what will happen next. Yes you can predict stuff that happens, but I did not. I was involved in the story, was curious and could just enjoy the creepy atmosphere and the development of the two main characters, Lilli and Emily. The dialogs were fine, the acting believable. It is well crafted and for me, as I have mentioned before, great entertainment and I have enjoyed every minute. Well done, that is how movies should be done.
    Renée Zellweger is perfect as the horror movie queen being terrorized by a little girl who has been taken into state custody but who also just so happens to be possessed by a demon in the movie Case 39. From hornets crawling out of eye sockets to an attack by a crazy woman with burns all over her face to demon dogs straight out of the original movie The Omen to monstrous claw-hands popping out of all sorts of unexpected places ala end scene of Carrie, this no holds barred shocker will have you jumping out of your seat at least a half dozen times before it is all over. This is much scarier than the movie The Orphan. Fifteen-year-old Jodelle Micah, who has an unbelievable resume of acting credits for her age, is downright creepy playing a little girl who is perhaps nine or ten but who has the cunning of the devil himself. There are some great cameo parts, including Cynthia Stevenson, who is best known as the mother in Dead Like Me, and Ian McShane, who plays a detective and who looks like the priest from The Excorcist. This seems to be a remake of an old Twilight Zone episode about a young boy who holds a town hostage with his supernatural powers. This movie is very controversial because the villain is a small child but thankfully Zellweger attempts to stab her, burn her and drive her off a cliff without any concern for being politically correct. This is what horror movies are all about. Not for those with heart conditions.
    The movie, as a horror movie, delivers what it promises, which is scaring people. It is however not without its flaws.

As an above reviewer already stated Renee Zellweger is not a great actress for these types of movies, but it's not something that should bother you during the duration of the movie.

Another flaw is the use of what I tend to call gratuitous scares. What do I mean by that you may ask. These are scares that are provoked by suddenly letting a barking dog jump against a window when the main character is standing there or by letting a coworker pop up next to the protagonist when she's sitting down. However effective they may be, they are not scares relevant to the story and they tend to irritate me because they take the focus of the main story, mostly because the main story has little volume.

This is lucky not the case here. The acting of the "evil" by the little girl is very well done. If I had a child before me like that, I'm sure I wouldn't be too comfortable by him/her.

***SPOILER*** For the rest part the story is good enough to keep you going although I would have preferred a non Hollywoodian ending because that would have been more "realistic" if the girl was really possessed by an ancient demon. ***SPOILER***

But all in all a good movie to spend your evening on.
  • It's a decent movie. I liked very much some cinematographic concepts cleverly used here to build solid tension, and mystery effect. We are used to very straight way of telling very straight stories, but sometimes it's good to move the camera off the basics a little (even if the story isn't very original), just to tell something more by the picture, than only what the picture depicts. Mr Bogdanski (DP) and Mr Alvart (DIR) have used some of those "tricks" carefully and wisely, gaining few disturbing shots which actually describe the feel of the whole movie. The story is simple, predictable, and has the "yep, I've seen this before" factor, but THOSE few (yes, only few) weird shots puts this movie slightly above the average. And there are Callum Keith Rennie, Kerry O'Malley and Ian McShane who work in the same business here with DP and Director - giving very intense and disturbing appearances in supporting, yet the movie tone establishing roles (especially Rennie not being too demonic). I'm glad that screenplay had provided them few very good sequences to play in.

But let's be frank - that's not enough to break the limits. We have to remember some major flaws: First - the movie is very predictable. Very. Second - Jodelle Ferland plays in a simple, cheap way, using far away easier acting methods, than her character needs. Third - a promise of originality made by DP and Director in the first part of the movie, is never kept because of the second half, where everything is put in WYSIWYG manner, known from shitty Hollywood.

Summing all up - You CAN watch it with a pizza and a beer, but hardly believable that you WILL manage without those. :)
  • miltong7 February 2010
    Case 39 belongs to the classic Genre of horror movies like The Omen, Children of the Corn, Ring etc. Yes all these movies have a thing in common, child demon...And Jodelle Ferland as the Evil protagonist is intense. The sweetness in her face,adds to the creepiness when she threatens Bradley Cooper in an outstanding performance...Yes I was afraid. I was afraid when the child spoke in dual voices and I was petrified watching the burnt figure running after Rene Renée Zellweger ( you may laugh watching sloth zombies trying to catch the heroine, but this was damn frightening)..For guys who love horror and getting frightened, catch this movie over a weekend. You will not be disappointed.
    Horror movie subjects, like celebrity deaths and buses, come in threes. Thus, trailing behind the latest rash of 'Bad Seed' pictures 'The Unborn' and 'Orphan' like some sulky teenager on a family holiday, comes the Renée Zellweger-starring Case 39 - another apparent anti-adoption screed from the director of 'Pandorum'. Clearly, Philip Larkin got it back to front, and Cyril Connolly was onto something: they screw you up, kids, especially other people's kids, while that pram in the hall almost certainly contains 57 varieties of pain. And little girls, of course, are absolutely terrifying. That's why Stanley Kubrick used not one but two of them in 'The Shining.'

The latest threat to homeland security is sad-eyed moppet Lillith Sullivan (Jodelle Ferland). Despite whimpering that her hollow-eyed, crucifix-clasping parents "talk about sending me to Hell", Lillith's lank black hair is scraped back and tucked behind her ears, which everyone knows is movie shorthand for 'sneaky 'n' weird'. She also tilts her head sideways when she speaks, which even brain-damaged pitbulls dimly appreciate is the internationally-recognised symbol for 'run, run like the wind'. Now you mention it, she also shares a name with Frasier Crane's ex-wife, in turn named after a Hebrew storm demon associated with death, darkness and vengeance. All of which is lost on lentils-for-brains social worker Emily Jenkins (Renée Zellweger), who hauls her out of the kitchen oven after her folks attempt to bake her alive.

In a move even the filmmakers realise stretches credibility to twanging point, Emily temporarily adopts Lillith while she waits to be re-housed with foster parents who won't mistake her for a birthday cake. Unfortunately for Emily, what Lillith wants, Lillith gets. And what she really wants right now is an ice cream. Not just today, every day. See, this witchy cuckoo also possesses the ability to make people see and experience their own worst fears. So you'd better hurry up with that 99 Flake.

Before the first hour's up, Em's other cases and colleagues are slaughtering their slumbering parents with a tyre iron or being pestered to death by a plague of CGI hornets, vomited out of their every orifice. Meanwhile Em's barricading herself in her bedroom every night and attempting to burn her own house down, with the satanic little charge inside. "A damaged, deceitful, manipulative child is *not* a demon," insists grizzled, perma-tanned detective Mike Barron (Ian McShane). But can Emily convince her Barron knight that Lillith has got the very devil in her?

It sure seems as if Hollywood likes kicking foster kids under the table, judging by the haste with which Case 39 follows the controversial Orphan into the multiplexes. Or maybe the movie business has just put its finger on a hot topic of the day: horror movies are always monkeying around with contemporary fears and prejudices (it makes their case stronger). But is the concept of adoption actually becoming anathema to North Americans?

This July the Washington Post reported that the number of foster children being adopted in D.C. was "falling precipitously". And if a former Child and Family Services Agency staffer suggested "difficult cases" (over-twelves; siblings who didn't want to be separated) as possible causes, a pro-bono lawyer claimed "the District frequently reduces the annual subsidy" for those deciding to adopt their foster children. Could there be some kind of 'anti-adoption conspiracy' at work?

No, just plain old economics: originally slated for release in August 2008, then subsequently held back twice, Case 39 has been forlornly gathering cobwebs in the proverbial filing cabinet for over a year. Understandably so - it's terrible. We'd be embarrassed too. Former Oscar-winner Zellweger hasn't made a decent feature in years, and this is no trend-bucker. So it's not hard to figure out that when its producers saw Orphan cleaning up, thanks in part to the hype accrued via some knee-jerk lobbying (and - what a gift - a letter to Warner Brothers by concerned senators and congressmen who predictably hadn't even seen the movie in question), they quickly threw their own killer kid flick out with the trash. (Or rather they haven't - when this review was first written, Case 39 was going to be released any minute. Now, they've put it back AGAIN, for around the 6th time. Probably waiting to see how well Christian Alvart's Pandorum does first. Prediction: that'll bomb too. So, fellas, just how long do you think you can keep this up for?)

And make no mistake, Case 39 is diabolical; a laughable, wooden, hideously derivative pile of steaming demon poo. Horror films aren't exactly dainty when it comes to relieving other movies of their valuables, but Case 39 just ram-raids them out of the store: hell hounds (not to mention an entire premise) swiped from 'The Omen'; buckling, banging doors half-inched from 'The Haunting'; demonic possessions (and a friendly cop) purloined from 'The Exorcist'; a blight of stripey insects lifted from 'Candyman'; and accursed phone calls filched from J-Horror 'One Missed Call.'

Case 39 also asks for any number of other offences to be taken into consideration. While judging by the presence of Ian McShane and Adrian Lester, it has also pilfered its cast (hilariously and self-defeatingly billed in 'order of prominence') from a cosy BBC Sunday teatime drama. Bless our British actors all, but that's not a line-up that immediately inspires confidence in a horror movie: Bridget Jones and Lovejoy, together at last.
    I saw this film on tire Emirates flight back to the Uk a couple of days ago and I had not heard of this film before, not released in Uk until March 2010. I had only recently watched Zellwegers comedy drama My One and Only and of course Precious, another social workers drama.

oh boy, cant help imagining if mariah carey and Zellweger had swapped roles in either film, what the end result would be? Case 39 is without doubt a psychological thriller with a satisfactory ending and it indeed reminds me greatly of the horror thriller ORPHAN, apart from the child in the oven scene, I do not think anything in the movie was of any great suspense, but that is not to knock or demean the quality of the film. I enjoyed it and I enjoyed Renee Zellwegers performance, though I do feel that she looks a little awkward as a social worker and I cant believe that there are rules which can even be 'bent' which would allow a social worker to adopt a wayward child in the manner shown in the film.

Ian MCShane the British actor was superb as the Boss Mike for Zellwegers character Emily. A Social workers anti social working hours for me were not sufficiently highlighted but perhaps they did not need to be.

As in Orphan and perhaps also in Dustbin Baby, it will make you think twice before adopting or fostering a child who is not who they seem.
    Honestly I didn't expect too much of Case 39 in the beginning. The horror movie plots involving children and their evildoing's are getting too plentiful lately. So after Joshua, Orphan, The Children... here is another movie with a vicious little kid.

Case 39 revolves around a social worker who gets on a case involving strange parents and their lovely little daughter Lilith (Hint!) who shows signs of abuse. Soon the parents are caught while trying to burn the kid in the oven... they don't succeed and the kid bonds with the social worker who falls for the lovely little girl and takes her home. Now a slow realization begins when piece by piece Lilith shows her real face which is not just plotting hideous ways of turning people against each other but also setting up some eerie power plays with the grown ups around her. Unlike Orphan and the likes this movie rather goes for a supernatural twist in the vein of The Omen. Turns out sweet Lilith has some powers of her own because she is a kind of demon feeding on the positive energies of lead character Renee Zellweger who has her colleagues dropping like flies and soon starts to fear for her own life when Lilith torments her with supernatural powers. The scenes in which the deepest fears are turned into nightmares leading the victims into accidents and suicides are really tense (the wasp scene is one to remember) and the character development of Lilith is great. The way she plays with the people around her is really evil and the last part of the movie traps you with Rene Zellwegers character in Liliths hands with every try of escaping being a failure. Honestly I was quite surprised the movie went for a happy end because in the end the viewer really feels the lead characters desperation. Maybe the whole demon thing is a bit over the top but the evil kid is depicted way more intense than in Orphan and other recent movies. If they had hinted on the kids demonic side more subtle it would have worked better because the demon FX really suck. Anway... Case 39 is a tense psycho thriller horror movie that is definitely worth watching.
  • Social Worker Emily (Zellweger) takes in 10-yr old Lillith (Ferland) whose parents tried to kill her.

Things kind of get wrapped up within the first 15-minutes and what else is there to do you ask yourself. Well, things aren't quite what they seem and by now, you will have figured it all out. But, again, it's in the telling that makes this a good movie and you stay with it.

This is billed as a horror movie and you know I don't review horror movies (hey, I have to sleep at night). Okay, so I took a chance. See? The acting is first rate by all and the pace is very good. There is a certain amount of tension and suspense and you won't sleep here.

Now, although you have figured things out, you have not figured out how this ends or should end, or will end …..whatever. That occupies your mind quite a bit. And, along the way, you find yourself jumping at certain things. Not really horror though, but could have been.

Renee Zellweger really got into her character to such a point I was mimicking her moves at times. I felt as though I was there. You'll see.

Violence: Yes. Sex: No. Nudity: No. Language: Yes, but only one or two F-bombs
  • Okay, so let me start off by stating the personal 'cons' I saw through out this movie. I believe that, like many other users, the ending could have been a little stronger and make you think a little more that it did. I think it has been done before and should have a little more depth. Also, many other users feel like the little girl, Lilly, played a great role, which I don't totally believe. She played great when scared and screaming, but while playing a sweet little girl, it felt a little 'fake'.

Pros: The trailer of this movie really doesn't depict this movie what so ever! I thought this movie was going to be more of a drama, but really ended up becoming a horror. This movie really tests your emotions and has many great 'jump' scenes.

I think this film is very similar to Orphan, but has a much better plot! In some parts, it even reminds me of A Nightmare On Elm Street and The Unborn. If you enjoyed Orphan, you will absolutely LOVE Case 39!

My mom, who doesn't really like horror/thrillers really, really enjoyed it and she classified it as her favourite thriller.

I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone, especially horror lovers!
  • gqcpa25 April 2019
    This movie will never be confused with Shakespeare but it certainly is a creepy & fun movie and worth a watch. Jodelle Ferland gets an A+ for her knockout performance of lilli Sullivan...wow....she steals every scene she is in.....young, innocent looking but maniacally devious. And Ian McShane is always awesome.
  • Excellent movie, real sleeper! I'm a movie snob but really enjoyed this film.
    Alvart's 'Case 39' follows an interesting premise of a social worker rescuing an innocent child from being murdered by her parents. Upon the little girl's persuasion she decides to be her foster mother. Soon she discovers that the child isn't as innocent as she presents herself to be as things get from bad to worse.

In recent years, there have been quite a number of horror/thriller movies centering around children. Some well known titles include 'Orphan', 'Joshua' and 'The Children'. As entertaining as 'Case 39' was, it doesn't offer anything new. One could either expect a 'Joshua' like ending or and 'Orphan' like ending. I'm glad with its ending because I'm tired of watching those evil-wins endings. But, this movie adapts many formulaic elements and much of it is predictable. I also think the writer could have gone a little more in depth with the dark theme instead of just stating the obvious.

Much of 'Case 39' relies on the solid performance of Renee Zellweger and Jodelle Ferland. Ferland is terrific as the deceitfully innocent Lilith (the kind of child whose innocence makes you smile) transforming to demon child. Renee Zellweger is excellent as the caring and dedicated social worker turned to ambivalent wreck when she's contradicted by her discovery. For me, she made this movie more watchable than the average forgettable horror film.
  • miasisyphus3 October 2010
    Normally I wouldn't review a movie I didn't like, but I'm just considering this a warning to any horror fan who thought Case 39 looked interesting. This movie relied on cheap jump scares (an alarm clock!), had no real atmosphere, spooky or otherwise. There were some worthwhile characters, like Bradley Cooper and Emily's cop friend. The protagonist was poorly cast and the actress was just plain bad. The little demon girl was alright, but she didn't terrify me (at all) and she had the annoying ability of being able to do almost anything she wanted,including escape a burning house in a new outfit, but not the trunk of a sinking car. Even though there were parts of this movie that were very funny (unintentionally, I believe), over all this movie was too long and just wouldn't end.
    Expectations play a big part in how we react to films, if this had been hyped to kingdom come I might have found it disappointing, but I saw it with low expectations after reading some so-so reviews, and found it enjoyable and effective.

Probably not quite as good as The Orphan, but not leagues below it either. Case 39 works as an enjoyable chiller, and I especially liked how early the script begins to reveal the secrets behind Lilith - with the Orphan, such reveals came very late in the film. Here, its about 25 mins in, and the film is all the better for it.

Zellweger is brilliant as a social worker who takes the child under her wing. There is a lot of rehashed, bog standard horror genre tricks on show here, such as a swarm of wasps, evil "hounds of Satan" taken from The Omen, etc.

There is one stand out scene - where Brad Cooper interviews the girl one on one. The way she twists the mundane conversation into something alarming and frightening is a real highlight. Cooper doesn't last much longer, in fact its just a cameo role but this scene was fantastic and sent a chill down my spine.

I don't want to give away the ending but I would recommend this to horror fans. Its enjoyable and well made.
  • Almost every single actors in this movie played it to excel. I wonder if people are too insecure that they just have to give bad ratings to good movies. Yes, it's a horror movies, it's not about saving the world or anything like that. It EXCELS as a horror movie.

This is a must see for any horror fan. The plot actually give the audience time to bond with the characters--love them, hate them.

This is neither plain gore nor plain psychology. It is an excellent mixed of the two. It would have been an absolute masterpiece like Shutter Island if it didn't explain too many previously given hints to the audience. An open ending would have been better than a totally-explained happy ending.