User Reviews (655)

• o-2099521 December 2018
    Funny films, very exaggerated but realistically acted, pretty girls and allows the viewer to laugh at both adults and youngsters. What else could you ask for? The 'Mohammad' deadpan was fuunnnny.
  • And they flaunt a little.

The guys are losers and very funny.

The local constabulary think they are punking the kids but they are just dumb cops that end up being punked.

What is not to like??
  • Funny dialogue, funny characters, cleavage, nubile shapely legs and the night... what a night!
  • Gordon-1131 August 2018
    Normally I don't like this kind of film about teenagers trying to act like adults, but this film really works. It is funny, it has brotherhood, friendship and romance all in one. It is impolite at times but it is not over the top. It doesn't feel annoying or stupid either, which is actually quite impressive.
  • The funny lines

The funny scenes

The punked cops

The sexy teenagers

hahahah
  • And the film is funny and open-minded and the local smokies think they are smart alecs but in fact they are retarded. HILARIOUS!
  • larsenmarkez12 October 2019
    A superfunny film. The characters are interesting and the dialogue is completely nuts. You have to watch it. For anyone that knows how dumb the local smokeys are this film will completely resonate. Finally, Emma Stone and to a lesser extent Martha MacIsaac are sexy in this film. Stone has done a Kirsten Dunst and gained wight since but here she rocks it.
  • rftlhaubu26 January 2020
    I really enjoyed this movie. The actors did a great job, the chicks were pretty and I had a good few laughs and there was a lot of adventure! Just my type of movie for a fun night in with friends.
  • Emma Stone and her bet friend in short skirts rocking it is so hot.

Add the funniest characters ever and ... great movie!

They just don't make them like this anymore. We have the ugly short-haired Star Wars broad nowadays instead :-(
  • kmswgpfj19 April 2020
    It is a good film and worth watching, but 10/10??

Like everyone else I dig women who show skin and I hate cops, but how long of this movie features miniskirted girls? Only a few minutes. Know before you become disappointed.
  • Best thing was putting two pigs in this movie, I was laughing my back off!!! Emma used to be hot showing skin.
  • I was able to catch a screening of 'Superbad' last night in NYC and I was very pleased with the movie. I'm sure most will compare this to an 'American Pie' like comedy, but it's so much more than that. There were some "shock value" moments, but very well done to tip the scale more to funny than to gross.

It is a teen movie, so 'Superbad's plot is obviously basic. It's the performances of the 3 friends (Seth, Evan, and 'McLovin' Fogell) that really make it great. I am big Michael Cera fan thanks to the brilliant TV series "Arrested Development", and other fans will be delighted to see his equally hilarious performance as Evan. The movie has the sexually driven banter and gross outs that will appeal to 'American Pie' viewer and the smart timing and acting that will appeal to the 'Arrested Development' viewer. What was really surprising to me was the touching (platonic) relationship that Evan and Seth have. Also, 'McLovin' Fogell, is an absolute nerdy delight.

The only negative thing I noticed that it was a bit drawn out toward the middle, but it really picks up after. Overall it's a great time and might just be a success at the box office. Bad teen comedies are a dime a dozen, but 'Superbad' is a shiny golden egg!
  • I got to see an advanced screening the other night, complete with an interview with the cast. I figured this movie could go either way, especially when you consider "40 year-old Virgin" and "Knocked Up" were funny and entertaining, but they weren't exactly loved by all.

I am happy to say this movie was wonderful. The jokes are crude, but dead on, and unlike recent movies with a similar style, like "Clerks 2," the plot moves on without any real downtime (you know, where the plot slows the progress of humor and you find yourself checking your watch). Jonah Hill and Michael Cera have that best friend chemistry that this movie required as well as being dead on with their jokes. The real star of the movie, however, was newcomer Christopher Mintz-Plasse, who took the role of Fogell and OWNED it. I got the chance to chat with the actors and I was not only surprised to hear that both Mintz-Plasse and Michael Cera are 18 and 19 respectively.

For the type of movie this is and the brilliant script that Seth Brogen has presented, there is no reason why anyone, young or old, can't relate to this off-the-wall comedy. See this movie!
  • I have been lucky enough to see two advanced screenings of Superbad in Burbank. It is one of the funniest movies I have seen in a long time. When I read the summary, I was a bit skeptical. The "high school comedy" is not exactly my cup of tea. My love for Michael Cera's performance in Arrested Development drove me to the theater and man was I glad I went. This is not your typical high school comedy. The writing is much smarter and funnier and the acting is superb. This movie so far transcends American Pie and its ilk that it cannot really even be compared. Go see this movie!!! I have a feeling it is going to go off the charts once the buzz gets around about how hilarious it is.
  • Well, I just got back from the Superbad screening tonight (thanks to the folks at MySpace) and I must say that this is a very special teen movie. It has that same element of transporting you back to your high school days that the original American Pie had. Michael Cera does great as the awkward teenage kid, basically a reprise of his role as George Michael on Arrested Development. But it is Jonah Hill who absolutely rules this movie! He had me laughing from the beginning to the end. His "silly fat-kid" character is the only one in the history of movies that shows what it truly feels like to be the funny fat kid in high school. I should know, I was one! Gosh, I just can't believe how well he portrayed the unmitigated hell that was P.E.! Emma Stone and Martha Maclsaac also give very realistic depictions of teenage girls. None of that fake, over the top nonsense. The most over-the-top character was "McLovin" himself, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, who did a great job of having us laugh with him as much as we did at him.

All in all, I think that everyone should be sure to watch this movie when it comes later this summer.
  • This movie is one of the funniest of the 21st century. The jokes are hilarious, and it is spoken by a great cast. Jonah Hill, Michael Cera, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Seth Rogen, and others are excellent in their roles. The characters they play you really latch on to you. They are extremely likable in many ways. The dialogue is also superb. It's a fast moving script that gives many great lines by the end of the movie. Also at the end I sorta felt some happiness. It's one thing to make me laugh throughout, but to make a vulgar comedy like this actually make my heart warm is a very big plus. It's a film about friendship, and that message manages to find its way through all the vulgar stuff.

4 stars out of 4
  • Superbad is a teen movie. It also will draw comparisons to American Pie, in it's "losers try to get laid" themes, and occasional gross-out comedy. But the comparison is unfair - Superbad is a funnier, more subversive and more importantly genuine movie than American Pie or any of it's awful sequels were. The three central characters have a believable, likable relationship, that the film takes time to establish. Cera, Hill (who deserves special praise, for turning what could have been a really unlikeable character into a sweet, if loud-mouthed and crass, teenager) and Mintz-Plasse bounce of each other perfectly. The movie creates some funny situations, and more importantly, hilarious dialogue throughout. Aside from one comedic misfire - an overly long (and poorly judged) gross out sight gag involving a pair of trousers and a dance - Superbad had me laughing constantly. It's sweet, it's funny as hell, and it's established a load of new talent.
  • me-389-32551919 December 2019
    Everything that Good Boys aspired to be but failed miserably.

Complete anarchic fun. Great early career performances from Hill and Cerra.

Oldie but a classic!
  • Okay, so today i went to an advanced screening of this movie. It was really last minute and I didn't know much about it other than it was from the makers of The 40-Year-Old Virgin and Knocked Up and it looked pretty funny.

I expected it to be funny, but my expectations were blown out of the water. It was extremely smart and pretty much believable. Well, some of the situations are a little ridiculous, but what's a good comedy without a little nonsense? But the characters were all so awesome.

There were a few parts where i was a little uncomfortable. There are some pretty explicit drawings in it so you might not want to see it with younger siblings or parents. But I'm telling you, this movie was super funny.
  • Superbad may look like a typical high-school movie on the cover, but its actually much more. It follows a trio of high-school seniors that decide to have one last party before leaving for college (and one last shot at grabbing a girl). The trio consists of Seth, Evan, and Fogell. They make a likable main cast that is very easy to compare to. Their acting style is ideal for this type of film. Joining them are several other intriguing characters. My favorite were the two police officers, Slater and Michaels. Pretty much every scene with them made me laugh; from their references to other movies to the spoofs on being an officer, its classic slapstick comedy.

The plot is definitely a strong point, unlike many comedies today. Most of the movie follows two distinct plot lines that join up at the end. Inter-weaved in the plot are countless jokes that kept me laughing almost the whole time. The plot itself involves booze, partying, and law enforcement, and somehow works these in to make a very absorbing story. Also, the particularly close friendship between Seth and Evan is an element that surpasses the comedy genre. The plot as a whole has plenty of unrealistic details, but manages to successfully meld comedy with some deeper meaning.

The comedy aspects are some of the best ever. Some of the jokes were a little disgusting (mainly the part about Seth's childhood), but I gotta admit they were hilarious. The beer aspects were pretty cool, and the sexual jokes did their thing. The law enforcement spoofs and McLovin gags were probably my favorite.

The movie as a whole is among the better comedies ever. I liked it more than Knocked Up (7/10). It still suffers from some of the weaknesses inherent in the comedy genre, but has a lot more value than most movies nowadays. Highly recommended for people in high school or college, and also recommended (albeit to a lesser degree) for everyone else.
  • I enjoyed "The 40-Year-Old Virgin," but didn't feel it was entirely worthy of all the enormous acclaim it garnered. And for all the praise "Knocked Up" received, I thought it was fairly average. So I wasn't expecting much from "Superbad." However, I'd have to say it's the smartest and funniest Apatow film yet. I know he didn't direct it, but his influence is distinct. And in the past I've felt indifferent towards Apatow's brand of humour, but combined with Rogen's sensitivity towards the teen condition here, it works really well.

People have compared it to John Hughes' better teen comedies, but I don't think the approach is entirely similar. "Superbad" is cruder, ruder, a bit more focused on the sex & alcohol jokes. But it works really well because it captures that dynamic - better than "American Pie" because it invests more care into its characters. One of the strengths of "Pie" over other films in its genre (such as, say, "Slackers") has always been its characters, and "Superbad" similarly relies on its characters for support. Plus, it's just really funny.

The performances all around are pretty funny, even if the Fogell/McLovin pop culture references are ruining a good joke (kind of like "Yeah, baby!!" ruined Austin Powers when 20-year-old frat boys around the country thought it would be funny to shout the phrase every five seconds).

Jonah Hill and Michael Cera have great chemistry and another one of the strengths of this film is that its teenage characters actually do look their age (even though Hill is in his early 20s, he still passes as a senior). But it was Bill Hader and Seth Rogen who stole the show for me as the clueless cops.

Overall this is just a funny, well-made film with heart. It doesn't mock its characters or their predicaments but casts a knowing eye on the high school experience. It captures all this very well and was certainly, in my opinion, far superior to "Knocked Up."
  • Superbad was an absolutely hilarious film. There were so many mind bogglingly hilarious one-liners in the film that I will need to watch it again to see which ones I missed while I was laughing. This is one movie that I will definitely watch every time they rerun it on cable in the future. It had its completely gross-out teen moments, but those were grounded by its hilariously absurd and witty (also gross) conversations. Michael Cera was great, and most Arrested Development fans should find his performance here just as entertaining as his take on the George Michael character he played on that show. He is absolutely awkward and downright hilarious. Jonah Hill is the funniest he has ever been, confidently spouting out uproariously funny lines at every hot girl in sight.
  • gigan-9216 December 2010
    One of the best comedies ever served in m y opinion. The all-too familiar Greg Mottola is the man at work here, and where credit is due I'll award points to the writer s Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg. However, this film would drop dead on its face without its hilarious cast undoubtedly, Jonah Hill and Christopher Mintz-Plasse being the two most unforgettable stars. Michael Cera is the kind of, I suppose, innocent-type guy who is both driven by hormones yet conflicted by almost inhuman genuine-ness and politeness. Not too many laughs coming from his way but when he did, he did so superbly. Bill Hader and Set Rogen were just top notch. I would also like to amend Emma Stone as Jules, who delivered the greatest "what the f*ck?!" in a good while.

All these zany and truth be told rather realistic characters were interpreted pretty well and where as the film was insanely funny the character development was right on par with the laughs. That's probably the film's most monumental achievement, seeing as the soundtrack was one I was rather indifferent about (but not one I despised). "Super Bad" is grade A comedy at its finest.
  • And that may seem like a turn off to people (parents in general, but kudos to those who like it) because they don't expect the realism of the characters and their dialog. What people (parents) what to generally see for some odd reason is some High School Musical garbage lifestyle for a teenager which is completely unrealistic.Having said that, a few of the situations do seem unrealistic, but the message of friendship and dealing with life when it doesn't seem to be going as planned is universally understood by all males and surprisingly a lot of cool chicks who can handle the edgy jokes in between.

I don't need a whole lot a space to said what I need to say so I'll give you the gist of it.

1. Almost every teen from 16 to 19 (and most guys for that matter) can probably say "That totally happened to me! It's like they know me!" or "I've had this conversation!"

2. A punch line at every corner, and the jokes never get old.

3. It actually seems to get funnier and not "That was kind of funny...."

4. Can be watched over and over again.

5. Can be considered this generations Brat Pack, if they keep putting out hit after hit like this.

If you don't like constant cussing or sex jokes, then stay away. It's your loss.
  • saleh_ziad17 August 2007
    I'm not gonna lie; Movie previews / trailers are almost the deciding factor for me, in whether or not I even CONSIDER watching the movie. In other words, I almost didn't watch this movie due to the fact that the trailer looked stupid. I won't make this mistake again after watching this movie.

This movie was TOTALLY NOT what I expected. It's funny throughout - from front to back, beginning to end.

I recommend this movie to anyone who hasn't seen it, as well as those who have...

Perfect 10!!!