• opszanski20 August 2013
    Minor spoilers for Eva 2.0 and 3.0

Forewarning: I am not a giant Evangelion fan. I've seen the TV series and have noticed moments of brilliance, but I was in some ways annoyed with the finished product (especially towards the end). My biggest problem was that the characters were not very likable. They were complex yes, but I didn't feel very connected to Sinji, Asuka, Rae, etc. They seemed to fundamentally lack any sense of pro-activity. Much of the plot consisted of their reactions rather than their actions.

That's not important however, and I only bring this up to clarify my surprise at Evangelion: 2.0, which did something I hadn't expected: It completely won me over. 2.0 is fantastic, clearing up nearly all the issues I had with the series. There is not a single character that doesn't improve; Sinji actually shows some integrity and becomes a protagonist I can get behind. Never did I feel that he was unjustified in how he was acting. Rae, surprisingly enough, shows consistent character progression versus the TV series where she too often remained stagnant. By the end of 2.0, it's almost a surprise to think this is the same character from the beginning of the movie. She goes from emotionless and hardly human to a caring person wanting Sinji to be happy. A small change, but very noticeable. Asuka stayed relatively the same but with some important changes. While in the series she was portrayed as egotistical and self-righteous, in 2.0 she comes off as more anti-social. Important dimensions are added to her character as it's hinted that her bombastic personality might not be because of her need for praise, but simply a defense mechanism to cope with her loneliness.

And then EVA 3.0 happened.

Where to start? Well, let's begin by saying much of the foundation laid by the past films are not existent just as much of the positive turns for the characters have been nullified. It really baffles me in some ways: Why have Sinji grow so much in 2.0, just to turn him into a self- loathing angst character again that can't handle the conflicts in this film? Why have Rae develop a personality and have audiences connect with her when she's rescued, just to say she's dead and have us deal all over again with an emotionless Rae clone? Why hint at feelings of self-denial and loneliness in Asuka, just to have those issues ignored and never addressed again? Why have Misato cheer Sinji on to save Rae at the end of 2.0, just for her to reject and coldly dismiss him at the beginning of this movie?

If these characters have problems that have changed them - THEN SHOW US. Don't build them up, skip ahead 14 years, and completely change them without explanation. It's not clever, it's nonsensical. Imagine any other show or movie you've seen, can you imagine how frustrating it would be to see the characters just beginning to be fleshed out, only for the plot to move decades ahead in the future. All the open questions you have and all the issues raised with the characters instantly become meaningless because their resolution occurred off screen. Remember Asuka's final lines in the last film, "I can laugh, I didn't know I could"? Well I hope you weren't expecting this to factor into her character at all because it might as well have never been said. Any character development from the first two Evangelion movies have next to zero influence in how anyone acts.

Unfortunately, there are no excuses for Sinji and Rae. Killing off the Rae we've come to connect with just to introduce her next emotionless clone and expecting us to connect with her all over again is completely unjustifiable. Rae had already progressed so far in terms of her personality. But no, all that progress is gone. Now meet a new Rae, who is coincidentally exactly like the Rae you knew at the very beginning. Sinji is no better. Him becoming an emotional wreck by the end that has lost the will to live is not shocking anymore, it's pathetic. Does this character have any other dimension to him, or is it all self-loathing? Why make him the least bit competent when all you intend to do is tear down his character again? Sinji is a microcosm for everyone in this film; any development is meaningless because they revert back to their starting point, just to begin the whole process over again - like a dog chasing its tail over and over again.

The whole movie stands in stark contrast to the last. The fundamentals of how NERV operates and what its relationship is to the characters is completely changed, and never explained. In fact, barely anything is explained. Asuka and Sinji have not aged a day after 14 years and the only explanation given is some reference to "the curse of EVA". Yeah, sure. All I hear is "we wanted to skip ahead 14 years, but we still needed Sinji and Asuka to stay at age 14 and pilot the EVAs." Don't you think if a machine stopped people from aging they would I don't know, warn them before they became pilots? Because that's kind of an important side-effect.

On top of this, the film is much darker than the second. But darker in EVA means better right?? Well if done properly, yes. But that's not the case here. This isn't a "dark turn" that is properly foreshadowed; the viewer has been thrown into another universe where consequences of the last film have not been dealt with or explained.

I'm sure there are many fans out there that will have a different perspective and will like this film. But for me, many of the reasons why EVA 2.0 won me over to the franchise are either ruined, reversed, or ignored.
    I've argued against the consensus that Hideaki Anno hate's his fans before, I've tried to say that just because he feels the need to change some things and dislikes rabid Evatards, it's not reason to think him wrong. This movie has changed my opinion of him.

I'll say this first off, you want to change continuity in a story, fine. It's your work, you can do whatever the hell you want with it, whether it's a good thing or not, we've seen that with some of the best sci-fi epics in the last 40 years.

But don't expect to write utter rubbish and not be called out for it.

A lot has been said on the depression that Anno went through in the writing process of the Eva TV series and how it's effected his story structure, you can see it around the mid-point of the series changing gears at a horrible rate, if I'm honest, this movie shows that he needs someone to rein him in, there have been changes to story structure(I mean 14 years of character destruction just because he wanted it) additions and retcons.

This movie is a mess, from start to finish there seems to be no reason for it, nothing really happens in this other than build-up for the final movie. We've had major reset buttons being hit for major characters, we've had horrible, disgusting plot conveniences of no-aging for the Eva pilots without anything substantial being shown for them and the burden of spending 14 years in an adolescent's body (you know, the whole tortured Claudia style character). A major character was introduced just to be killed off, without any major development! AGAIN! I could let Anno off in the series, he'd come up with a brilliant idea, but the money was running out and he had to cut and paste together a quick resolution to probably the most important character interaction for Shinji. But doing this. After Two Films of build up, with a full movie to show just the blossoming friendship and possible love between a young man and an alien in the guise of a young man. This is unforgivable, I can't forgive a horrid mess of this mistake, Anno had the chance to give us what he'd complained so much about before. And he gives us the same basic thing, no character development, a choice to kill or not to kill and a breakdown of a Human mind.

Like I said before, if you want to change continuity then that's perfectly fine, I don't mind that. Lucas and Roddenberry both did the same with their stories(with a sliding scale of success). Now I know he'd already changed a lot of stuff in continuity by the second movie, but doing this is idiotic, he's changed continuity within his own movie series, while it's still running. You don't DO that. Breaking continuity while you are still telling the story doesn't work, saying something like: "billy went to the supermarket and picked up dry cleaning from the laundromat for his new book, then on his way home, Jenny found a £1000 and was evicted from her home because she was flat broke" yes there's a story there, but it doesn't make a lick of sense.

In essence, that is what he has done here, taking a story structure of "there was the First Impact 65million years ago, Humans came, then Second Impact came with Adam and brought the Angels, a union between Adam and Lilth will bring Third Impact, causing the end of the world." And stating now "Whoa, what are you saying, Third Impact is just a step along to the Apocalypse of Fourth Impact, didn't I mention that before?" If you'd stated that Third Impact was the end of the world, then stick to that and show a world in Purgatory for the third movie, you know because Kaworu stopped it at the end of the second movie. That could work, 14 years of a living purgatory would harden anyone, even people like Misato. So you can create a sacrificial Saviour of Shinji for the Fourth movie, you know like you're planning to do anyway.

The visuals are the only major tent pole holding this film up, because that're amazing as usual, but as for the rest, it's terrible.

The story is crap. It's a reason to turn away from the Rebuild series, I'll still see the final movie, mainly because I'm in too deep now and just have to hold my nose and swim through, if I'd fallen in on this just now, I'd have been easily able to give it up.

The only bright point is that I've got the full series limited addition boxset on my shelf and all the movies, that's enough for me and even though it's ending is as convoluted as this one is currently, I'm more willing to forgive that than this. Hideaki Anno hasn't impressed me with this sharp right turn, can his final movie change my opinion. I seriously doubt it.
  • With a plot full of holes like Swiss cheese, setting and setup that will confuse even the staunchest long-time fans, script on the level of a bad fan fiction, countless disrepancies and abandoned plot lines from the first two movies and characterization taking 180-degree turns every two seconds, Evangelion 3.0 is an utter mess at best, and an open insult to movie watchers at worst. It's a colossal failure as its own story, as a follow-up, as a remake and a movie in general that renders the previous two movies and all their accomplishments completely pointless.

Almost nothing from the previous films is resolved in any meaningful way: Shinji's relationships with his friends and slowly growing confidence, Kaji's shady dealings with NERV, the Key of Nebuchadnezzar, Rei coming out of her shell, Asuka warming up to people, the growing threat of Angel attacks and much more are completely abandoned and forgotten about. In their place we get an endless barrage of new terms and plot elements which the characters talk about, but none of which are ever adequately explained or established. The first 30 minutes consist of nothing but action scenes with only the tiniest amount of context or setup, just a bunch of flashy stuff for the viewer to look at.

The characters have taken a total nosedive. Mari, who had a strange foreboding about her in 2.0 is reduced to a mere sidekick with no meaning. Despite the 14-year gap, Asuka is still her old bratty self despite now being 28 years old. The justification for her and Mari not having aged is so ridiculous you have to wonder if the writers are actually pulling a prank. Misato is so far removed from her previous persona she might as well be an entirely new character. Rei's character actually regresses, as all her development from the previous movies is rendered nonexistent, and is never properly explained how. Gendo has become a caricature of himself. In the original series he had an enigmatic presence and there were hints of his deeper motives, but here there's nothing under the surface: he's just a cartoon villain, practically twirling his moustache and cackling "JUST AS PLANNED".

But the change of setting is undoubtedly the thing that shoots this film in the leg and then some. So many questions rise and are never answered that the viewer is completely lost. The last 20 minutes will be spent in utter confusion as the viewer tries to grasp even the flimsiest straw of what is supposed to be going on, and why it should mean anything. Bombastic music playing over certain scenes is the only signal of something meaningful happening, but since the setting is so unestablished the viewer is just left thinking "I guess that's important because the characters act like it is, but why should I care?"

Perhaps the only saving qualities of this film are the music and the animation, both of which are great and work to put together some rather impressive action scenes. But that makes it only so much worse when you think what other projects this clearly great amount of talent could have been used for, rather than this 90-minute fart in the audience's face. At one point Fuyutsuki, the one character who gives the only direct exposition in the film, says "'Tis a wretched role I'm playing" to himself. It's almost if he's meta talking about his character having been reduced to a useless exposition device.

Add to all this meaningless shoutouts to the original like recycled shots from the series and Gendo's new choice of eyewear, occasional pseudo-philosophical lines which don't mean anything and some completely out of place piano playing scenes that add nothing to the story and you have an indulgent, incomprehensible, poorly told, plot less, pretentious, forced mess that doesn't even have a proper ending. Stuff explodes, characters talk about things you don't understand, Shinji sulks, some piano playing, stuff explodes again and then the movie just stops. Nothing has been achieved, learned or accomplished and you just don't care.
    Disappointing and I really hated this film, the Rebuild Series looked so promising but this completely killed it for me. I mean to me its as if everyone has just gotten completely nuts! Also Third Impact was not Shinji's fault at all, it was Gendo's. Honestly Shinji didn't know what he was doing and only ones who knew what was going to happen were Gendo and Fuyutsuki.

Yet everyone treats Shinji like crap not caring about their own contributions or even how much their behaviour is playing into Gendo's hands. No matter what they claim to be WILLE are just plain tools of Gendo whether they know or not, their stupidity and pathetic behaviour confounds me.

Shinji is even more unstable and easily manipulated yet the only really sane one in this is Kaworu Nagisa.

Frankly the series has turned into one of those where I am actually rooting for the antagonists, part of me wondered throughout the movie is 'Would Fourth Impact really be so bad?'. Kind of scary, huh? I have never been so disappointed as the series started quite promising and yet they pull up this crap. Other disappointment with the Evangelion franchise included End of Evangelion and the awful manga!
  • It must first be said that this film is superb in terms of visual quality. Opposed to many opinions, the film is well edited, well animated, and is essential perfect in the details pertaining to image and sound.

But the major problem with this film is that it is completely filled with set-ups that do not pay off. Which basically means the entire film is one big tease.

Much of the controversy and anger surrounding the latest Rebuild stems from the fact that it felt incomplete. And although other Rebuild films have ended on cliffhangers as well, 3.0 specifically is frowned upon.

The difference with 3.0 and previous entries in the series is that the previous films still fulfilled a basic arc of some sort for the characters to develop by the end of the film. They overcome an obstacle and move forward as people, and the audience gets to witness that. But by the end of 3.0, we're left with what feels like half of the story. Although the story certainly spans all for movies, this felt like a baby step compared to the leaps and bounds that were 1.0 and 2.0.
    The first two "rebuilds" of Evangelion crammed twenty episodes of the 1995 Shin Seiki Evangelion TV series into a span of three and a half hours, upping the musical and animation ante every explosive step of the way. Three years later, Evangelion 3.0 showed such promise: A teaser trailer so confident that it revealed only the internal workings of a piano; previews of an eyepatched Asuka spiraling through space with a shield and massive rifle to soul-rousing operatic strains. Yet after all the fervent build-up, Eva 3.0 feels like one of those reboots where a project was taken over by people who never understood why the franchise had rabid fans in the first place. Creator Hideaki Anno is still at the helm—and even back in the director's chair—yet when the film is over, the subtitle "You Can (Not) Redo" feels, more than anything, like an apology.

Anno opens with Asuka and Mari deploying multi-stage booster rockets, high-powered sniper rifles, massive shields and a brand-new pink Eva to fight off an Angel while retrieving Shinji and Unit 01 from Earth orbit. The sequence is brilliant, operatic, even tear-inducing: Then Shinji wakes up in yet another intensive care unit and the roller-coaster ride crashes straight into a ditch from which it will never emerge.

In 1997's the End of Evangelion, Shinji was offered a world in which he could merge with all of humanity so that he would never again have to feel alone. In Eva 3.0, he is offered a different world—one in which no demands are made of him at all. Enter ninety minutes of nothing.

This is not like what Anno did when he ran out of budget for the animated series, when he drove fans berserk by throwing out all the robot rumbles to dive into the characters' psyches for the last two episodes. Eva 1995 was all about the characters, putting broken human beings in a world-on-the-brink environment with the idea that their most intense struggles would still be to be loved, cherished, and accepted for who they were. Eva 3.0 strips away both the characters and the environmental crucible, even eliminating the deeper question of why everything is happening, and leaves us only with the hum-drum intellectual exercise of finding out what happened.

Shinji awakes into what is essentially the set of Das Boot melded with the bridge of the Macross. Misato is captain of a giant whale-like flying ark called the Wunder, the Nerv command crew man her bridge, and the cast is rounded out by a trio of space opera stock characters who get more lines than all the old cast combined. Even Mari, who had 'dark impending purpose' written all over her introduction in Eva 2.0, turns out to be nothing more than Asuka's sharp-shooting, one-liner-dropping sidekick. And despite the Third Impact having begun just to save her, when we finally meet Rei, she has no memory of the event and no connection to Shinji—or anyone else—whatsoever.

It turns out that the Third Impact was aborted part-way, and Shinji has been fitted with a Battle Royale-style choker designed to pop off his head if he shows any sign of becoming a deity again. While for a time it seems that we have been immersed in an alternate-universe Eva redesigned as a space opera, it is actually fourteen years later, and all the character dynamics that brought fans to the series have withered and died away. Rei, Asuka and Misato speak so little it's as if they aren't even there, and even Shinji doesn't wallow in self-pity; he is confused by all the changes, but with all the characters so different, the emotional boil we would normally expect to see at this stage of the series simply cannot emerge.

Having achieved friendship and affection in Eva 2.0, Shinji is much better adjusted than in his television iteration, and when he is whisked away from the Wunder to meet Kaworu, he's not desperate for approval—he just wants to know what's going on. Separated from all the people who cared about him, Shinji wanders through the hollowed-out remains of Nerv headquarters playing piano with Kaworu, stacking books for Rei and playing shogi with Fuyutsuki. And if that sounds about as exciting as a lazy Sunday afternoon, then you can imagine just how agonizing the middle hour of the movie becomes. By the time Kaworu outlines what Shinji could do to fix the world, there's just no reason to care. While there's an attempt to create drama over whether Kaworu's late-emerging MacGuffin will actually bring a 'fix' or the Fourth Impact doesn't really matter—from the audience's perspective, either change would be welcome. Even Ode to Joy can do nothing to elevate an Eva-on-Eva battle when there's no longer anything significant at stake.

Aside from the opening, the most exciting part of Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo may be the pre-film. In what is perhaps a dark parody of Pixar, the movie begins with a short film by Studio Ghibli showing the arrival of Nausicaa's God Warriors in Tokyo. Although inexplicably completed using people tromping around a miniature city in creepy God Warrior suits, the piece, narrated by the voice of Ayanami Rei (Megumi Hayashibara), is unusually grim and captivating.
    "Rebuild of Evangelion: You can (not) Redo" is the third movie in the reboot Evangelion franchise, which premiered over a month ago in Japanese cinemas. It's a movie which had been in the works for over three years, steadily increasing interest and expectations from both a new audience and fans of the old TV-drama which first premiered on television in 1995.

It begins as one would expect from seeing the previous movie, radio chatter with an action- filled sequence (now taking place in space), where the returning characters Mari and Asuka participate and retrieve an item of some importance - the sleeping protagonist, as well as his giant robot Evangelion Unit 01.

A rather dull and technical awakening of the recovered Shinji Ikari complete with cognitive and medical checkup does not hide that something seems slightly off. There's new faces, more advanced technology and how Shinji is being held at gunpoint for the entire duration - if not obvious already, one might think that one had been transported into the future where everybody holds a grudge against Shinji. That notion soon turns out be true as we discover that Misato Katsuragi is now the Captain of a flying battleship accompanied by a fleet of sea-vessels with the charge to fight and defeat their previous employers, NERV. A irremovable collar has been fit to the fourteen year old Shinji's neck, which is set by Misato to explode should Shinji become able to Awaken an Evangelion. When the now 28 year old Asuka and Mari haven't aged day, maintaining suspense of disbelief becomes a challenge.

A point where one might easily sympathize with the protagonist is here, as all of this sounds quite ridiculous and unbelievable, which makes the decision to run away once the voice of Rei Ayanami is calling him all the more understandable. But once we have left this bizarre place, we also leave behind any sense of realism or what little was left of it.

We enter a place where little or nothing seems coherent or plausible, with static backgrounds and spotlight lighting the stage, as if it were a play. The latter would make sense as the only characters operating this massive facility which required thousands to operate can be counted on one hand alone. The next part of the movie breaks down Shinji's mind by revealing that Rei was but a lookalike that is nothing like the Rei from the previous movie, making Rei a non-returning character after all. More revelations also come, revealing that 14 years have passed since the last movie, and the aborted Third Impact explosion Shinji was at the center of had far greater consequences than shown in the previous movie.

The enigmatic Kaworu who very briefly appeared the previous installments serves as a temporary relief for the mind of our protagonist, who at this time it has become clear is the only character with more than two dimensions in the movie.

When even that very protagonist shows signs of unnecessarily lowering himself to the level of stupidity apparently shared by all in this movie, there just isn't a reason to care any more. Thanks to the plot-moving stupidity now also found in Shinji, another Impact explosion is about to occur nearing the end, and with the frequency of which these impacts occur it might be a good idea to include a spot for them in the weather forecast. All that remains after this is the wait for the inevitable stopping of said impact, following a disappointingly predictable routine now.

The previous movies are required watching, but the end result is that this might have been better off as a stand-alone movie, since it does not make very good use of the previous material, nor does it cover any expectations one might have had coming from them. It would not stand on it's own legs either way.

Possibly worse is it if one has watched the original TV-drama, as one realizes that nearly none of the crucial elements that held the story together have been transferred to this new rendition. When some of it's principal characters become mere shells of their former selves (quite literally for Rei who by far suffer the most in this category) and don't interact on any meaningful level, disappointment will only set itself in harder.

The most enjoyment one could have regarding this movie is undoubtedly spending time making sense of it after having watched it as if to attempt justifying having wasted your time.
    I was really impressed with the 2nd film. It gave a refreshing new take on the events and characters from the classic original series and I was excited to see where they were going to take it. The new interactions between Rei and Shinji were especially fascinating and touching to me. Strong character development throughout the film drew me into the story and had the world feeling rich and deep. By the end I was so invested I was on the edge of my seat and the final Angel battle left me with goose bumps.

So with high hopes I began watching the 3rd film.

Oh man what a jarring experience! After a flashy action sequence Shinji and the audience are ruthlessly thrown into a confusing, cold and alien new reality. All of the growth from the previous film has been shat on and flushed down the toilet.

By the end of the film Shinji was complaining about how he had no idea what the hell was going on. You and me both brother.

Edit: I've watched the film a second time and found it more enjoyable but still a bit much. Its more of an experience than anything else. The 4th and final part has the gargantuan task of bringing it all together and I'm worried they wont have room for anything else other than exposition. The creators really must have massive balls to write themselves into such a hole.
  • This movie is simply the complete destruction of several years of work, and all the expectation of the Evangelion fans.

The 1.0 and 2.0 movies are good anime, with the limitation of the time to tell the history, but retelling the original plot clearly.

The 3.0 chapter is full of plot holes. The history is simply ridiculous and breaks any previous relationship with the decent Rebuild movies and the superb 90's anime series.

Hideaki Anno, like George Lucas did previously, has destroyed in one movement a legendary legacy.

It has no remedy for this. The last Rebuild 4.0, looking the preview scenes showed at the end of the movie, could be worst than 3.0.
  • The Rebuild saga blazes onward in Anno's world flipping master act. This is the world of Evangelion unlike anything that's been done before, boasting a new, clear and confident vision that brings our heroes and anti-heroes through endless strife and the most horrific of imaginable emotional confrontations. At times it's hard to watch for that reason, but the fact that an 'out' even exists, in all of its mysterious grandeur, shows us that this doesn't have to be the end… and it's already gone beyond THE End that we've previously been met with.

Atmosphere is what the entire movie is about. Dialogue is minimal, and much is left to the visuals to tell the story of the Fourth Impact. Those visuals are quite unlike much else I've seen in a film, carrying on Evangelion's hellish, dreamlike tradition of an original, complex, and thought-provoking art direction. The cryptic nature of every artistic level, be it writing, animation, design, or music cues, that the feature works on, recalls once again, the work of Stanley Kubrick and his 'Kubrick's Cube' of visual parallelism. Aside for some visual nods to Kubrick's work (2001: A Space Odyssey, in particular), Hideaki Anno produces a visual wonder through animation, as he has with the previous Evangelion entries (and the parallels between NGE and Rebuild, in their universe hand-offs, progressions, and quantum entanglements), and goes above and beyond. It's truly a masterpiece worthy of seemingly endless dissection.

One shot that stands out in particular for me is Shinji, listening to his Walkman in the foetal position in the ruins of NERV HQ as the green grass that has grown through the oppressive concrete floor over time rustles softly in the wind. It's melancholic and establishes the feeling of the film's middle act- its heart. Between that is the confusion of being in Shinji's shoes and facing a world fourteen years passes, for what is mere moments for him. It is effectively soul-crushing, driving one to desire a brighter future for all who still live on the Earth; but there's no way it will ever be reached without a battle hard-fought.

This is much the story of two particular characters, Shinji and Kaworu than the others and while at times that can feel disappointing, to recognize the importance of the plot's gaze is essential to understanding where the Rebuild is going. For every time I crave more of Mistato's development or an appearance from Kaji, the look back toward Shinji and Kaworu is ultimately as fulfilling. Visually, the movie presents so much to analyze and merely take in, that I feel we'll have enough to puzzle over right up until 4.0— Final. It's an absolute beauty, and to watch it in anything less than high definition is more than a disservice.

As if the startling premise wasn't enough of a radical change, the final 20 or so minutes takes Evangelion to unheard of heights and, in some cases, lows. These are the best kinds of each.

Though I can understand the dislike for this movie from fans of Evangelion, I urge them to look back upon it with eyes and a mind free of expectations and see it as something that isn't meant to be the Evangelion we know- the point of the movie is to venture into the unknown, not follow the path we've seen in Neon Genesis; from the end of 2.22, it would seem this was made clear.

It's new, it's mysterious, and quickly advancing toward a new ending that could be the end of all things, the breaking of the cycle that we've been experiencing for the past 18 years, across anime, manga, and feature film. But what is the element that Shinji must perform to finally defy every quantifiable expectation? Let's see what Mr. Anno has to present him.

"Everybody finds love in the end..."
  • I must have watched the End of Evangelion about 50 times. I absolutely loved everything about the original series and, to this date, i still think the original ending is my single most favorite piece of media. That's part of the reason why i wasn't very excited with the whole rebuild thing at first, and especially seeing as how the ending was going to be changed.

This movie has totally redeemed rebuild for me. It has turned out to not be the visually better, slightly refined more-of-the-same I (and perhaps several others) were expecting. It is a different story, but it's more of the genius Anno building on the core concepts that made Evangelion the classic it is.

The Eva fan will find an alien world, the grand-scheme of things that helped you understand the original series (if you ever did try) has changed, shifted. And just like in the original, that grand-scheme isn't really critical information, because the center of Evangelion is the story of Shinji Ikari dealing with a (now completely) hostile world that will try to manipulate, shock and break him in every way.

To those that are disappointed and confused about this movie just as i was when i first watched End of Eva, i personally recommend to watch it again as many times as necessary, as the story has several "layers", like any great work of art.
  • It seems Hideaki Anno has realised that his first two "Rebuild" films had little new to offer, for the opening of "Evangelion 3.0" is overwhelming. This is the original story he was building towards all the time! Or so it seems initially.

The opening jumps right into the action. 14 years after the events of the last film, Shinji wakes up to find himself captured by Ritsuko's rebellion against NERV. You would be forgiven for thinking you accidentally put on "The Matrix Four," seeing this collection of eyepatches, sunglasses and flying warships, set to music that combines church choirs, rock guitars and piccolos. Even in a franchise about teenagers in giant robots fighting angelic aliens, this is very hard to take serious.

But before the novelties can settle, the pacing takes a significant dip. Shinji escapes to the ruins of Tokyo III, and the plot starts meandering.

Easily the film's biggest success is the bonding between Shinji and Kaworu -- even though the depiction of learning to play the piano is not in accordance with my seven years of fruitless finger aches. Their relationship in the series was, I would argue, never homosexual. Kaworu loved Shinji in a pansexual manner: Because of his personality, without considering his gender, whilst Shinji liked Kawuro simply because he was the only person kind to him. Here, Anno succeeds in recreating that delicate balance between friendship and sexuality, proving that he still is a great writer.

Or rather: That he CAN be a great writer, for Shinji's character is painfully downgraded. He receives the same treatment as Asuka did in "Evangelion 2.0," namely a removal of much of his existential conflict, although contrary to her, his behaviour remains the same, turning him into the indecisive brat that he was for so long unjustly made out to be.

But the film's main problem is much bigger, namely the story as a whole. The film's opening bombards the audience with new impressions, but everything after that is spread-out exposition. This culminates with Fuyutsuki straight up telling Shinji the Evas' identities, a shocking reveal never explicitly relayed in the series.

The climax that caps these 50 minutes of explanation is based around misconception and comes down to the avoidance, rather than the execution of an actual event. Thus, our characters are left in exactly the same position as they have been since the first 15 minutes, merely talked up-to-date.

Then what was "Evangelion 3.0"'s point? Setting up the next film, I guess, like the last two films' point was. We have now passed the three-quarter mark in the "Rebuild" tetralogy and the only original writing so far barely hangs together. Maybe if "Evangelion 4.0" turns out to be an earth-shattering revelation, it will be worth seeing the other three again as part of a larger narrative, but nothing will take away from the fact that this film is, even more than its predecessors, redundant, and simply inferior to its stunning source material.
    Watching this movie was a pretty surreal and irritating experience. After watching the first 15 to 20 min of this highly expected movie I thought for some time that maybe I was watching the wrong movie or that I accidentally missed Evangelion 2.5. Sadly I found out, that there was no Evangelion 2.5 and this was actually the sequel to the amazing movies Evangelion 1.0 and 2.0, the movie i was anticipating with great expectations for years.

I have watched the original series and loved it as much as the first two Rebuild-movies, though at the end I was a little bit disappointed, because the last episodes of the original series created a lot of new questions and didn´t provide much answers to bring the plot to a satisfying ending. Unfortunately Evangelion 3.0 and the last movie may have the same issues.

After I had mentally coped with Evangelion 3.0 the experience reminded me of my disbelief, anger and disappointment after I had watched Matrix Revolutions or the last season of Lost. The experience of watching those examples can be compared to a punch in the face: Your eyes tear, you are disoriented for some time and after the punch you either get very angry or start to cry.

This movie intentionally destroys all expectations you might have after the first two Rebuild-movies. Neo Tokyo 3 is destroyed, the world is destroyed, everybody hates Shinji, who accidentally caused the 3rd Impact. Shinji continues to work with his father and a braindead Rei-Clone against Misato and the others, though Commander Ikari seems to be the real villain, who for some reason planned the destruction of the world with the 3rd Impact to fulfill some sort of prophecy. Shinji plays a lot of piano with the new character Kaworu, who seems to be a clone of Shinji or Ikari just like Rei is a clone of Shinjis mother. The incoherent plot and the imagery are absolutely surreal and like Shinji you are constantly confused and have no clue, what is happening in this movie.

I cannot rate this movie 1/10 because the artwork and the battle at the end are great and simply because I love NGE and the first movies too much.

BUT PLEASE, HIDEAKI ANNO, DON'T PUNCH US FANS IN THE FACE AGAIN WITH THE NEXT MOVIE
    When you watched the preview to 3.0 after watching Evangelion 2.0, it seems like we're still in that year where the kids are the same age and Seele finally shows its full color. Whatever you watched before, you will be shocked at how 3.0 is.

I was fortunate enough to watch Evangelion 3.0 in Japan with English subtitle, and although many fans were disappointed, I wasn't really letdown although the universe of Evangelion has been tossed out the door.

The story is set 14 years after the second film, many things have changed, a lot of the characters have switched sides and people that Shinji came to know is no longer those same person. Misato and the rest of the characters along with the new characters are now his enemies. Only people that seems to be on his sides is his father Gendo, Fuyutsuki, Kaworu, and Rei. Even the mighty Seele is nothing more then AIs and are on Gendo's side this time. The new Evangelion No. 13 sports a more futuristic look that is a site to behold.

As the story goes, Shinji is the main focus of the movie and we see him having to deal with the future while everybody else is 14 years older then him. Everything has completely changed for him and the city that we see in Evangelion 1 and 2 is completely gone. None of the characters are explored like we don't know why Misato and the rest have switch side other then she is a commander in the organization called Willie whose mission is to destroy Nerv and its Evangelion. Interestingly, Willie has its own Evangelions piloted by Asuka and Mari.

The color of the animation is just as modern as ever, computer graphics mixed in gives this movie a life in itself and thats what I loved about the three movies. Lively is also key to movie's success. The music also drives the movie too and the composer did a fantastic job in being the proper background as well as mixing the great master's like Beethoven into the mix.

Sadly, because I watched the subtitle, the English voice actors won't be available until the movie hits the United States. I have no doubt when it hits the state, I'll be back in line to watch the movie again as well as buy the DVD or Blue Ray.

Some people have complained that the movie is completely different from the Evangelion that we all know and love, but this is a different road Evangelion is taking and the creator has already said there will be lots of surprises and shock like how Yamato 2199 is turning out. No doubt all Evangelion fans should watch the movie.
  • Seriously, what happened? I enjoyed Evangelion 1.0 and loved it's sequel, but in the third installment of the Rebuilt saga, something went wrong. The plot is everywhere, sometimes straight up and the next second some sort of really weird metaphor (if there's a metaphor and no just some random thing that they thought it could make the movie look "smarter"). The characters have absolutely no built up, when in the first one Shinji became a cool character by the end and, in 2.0, Asuka developed her personality in a majestic way.

The only couple of things I can save from this movie are the soundtrack, which is glorious and the piano scene. The rest was a bunch of semi-well done action scenes with too much CGI and... red.

By the way, I apologize for any misspelling.
    I came into this movie cautiously yet with an open mind. After having seen the pure awe inspiring madness that was Evangelion 2.22, I hadn't realized that the third installment had already been out for a while. I was excited to see it but desired to watch it in English when it came out with the stunning visuals of a BD release. A combination of a weak will, impatience, and curiosity for the negativity it was receiving lead me to stream it with the English subtitles.

Needless to say, my reactions towards the film were probably the same as every other seasoned Eva fanboy or girl. With the exception of the first 5 or so minutes of the film, I never found one instance where I wouldn't swear at my monitor and choke back tears of disappointment. It was a familiar almost nostalgic feeling, it was like re-watching the entire series and then remembering the dismal final two episodes.

This fascination lead me to re-watch the film a second and even a third time. With each successive viewing, I realized that this is what Eva was all about. Besides a lot of MAJOR details that Anno decided to throw in probably just to remind his fanbase of the contempt he has for them, it was actually a fairly satisfying movie.

However, these flaws are too major to miss. The movie thrusts not only Shinji but the viewers as well into an almost alien environment. It is this confusion and deep feeling of disorientation that the film thrives off of. Anno succeeded in making his fans empathize for Shinji. However, this is both a strength and a downfall of the film. While it is nice to see Shinji progress as a character farther than he ever would have in the series, it is also only backed up by the fact that nobody at WILLE or even NERV decides to fill him in as to what had happened during the past 14 years. If WILLE would have just told Shinji what had happened and what he had caused instead of ostracizing him and treating him as a weapon, more than two thirds of the movie would have been scrapped.

Another common complaint was the radical change in the personalities of most if not all the characters we had grown to know and love from NGE. As it is known as a Rebuild series, I wasn't incredibly unprepared but it was admittedly off putting at times. For the most part, I really only had two problems with WILLE (and I say only WILLE because they are the center of these character complaints). The first is the wasted opportunity in revealing more about Mari Makinami. She had fulfilled her job satisfyingly in Evangelion 2.22 by not revealing too much to the audience but at the same time making a grandiose entrance into the world of Eva. In 3.33, her screen time is nil. She remains the same enigmatic and methodical pilot she was in 2.22. The second problem I had comes from the fact that the characters are not only incredibly different but one dimensional. In NGE most EVERY character was complex and had layers the viewers had to dig through in order to merely scratch the surface of what they were all about. 3.33 denies these characters this complexity that made viewers anxious to see the next episode of NGE (not trying to say I am not thoroughly excited for Evangelion Final). All of WILLE with the exception of Sakura Suzuhara can easily be described in less than a sentence. They are all unprecedentedly angry at Shinji for causing Third Impact for a SELFLESS reason that he had no idea would have consequences. However, this ties back to one of the strengths the movie had, it setup a bond between the viewer and Shinji.

The final problem I had with the movie (is actually kind of minor) is the convoluted mess that is the Evangelion storytelling. Anno will throw in new plot elements left and right in the show, but in 3.33's case, I would be relieved when I got a 10 minute break from all these new plot elements and terms. But, without giving in to the will of the movie, it was actually a lot more simple of a film than people give it credit for. Anno is not the kind of person to give people answers, at least not until the end. And if he doesn't give us answers we usually just fill in the blanks ourselves. Considering this is (Not) the last movie, we still have plenty of time to receive the answers we so desire.

All these points aside, the film succeeds in areas the original series didn't. For one, Kaworu is no longer an underwhelming and shoehorned character. The relationship between him and Shinji is stronger than ever and in many ways, it was a lot better done than it was in the show. But this relationship is overall the main point of the movie. And that can be a problem for some. If you don't like Shinji or Kaworu as an Evangelion fan, you probably aren't going to enjoy the movie. It is very much Shinji's movie.

Overall, 3.33 left me with the same amount of confusion and suffering that The End of Evangelion left me with (I too had to re-watch that to fully appreciate it). But if you are willing to stick through to the end and take the movie at face value, you really should be fine. As a person who has re-watched Evangelion more times than they can count, I can fully say that this movie had a similar tone to the latter half of the series. 3.33 is the closest thing we are going to get to that feeling, it is a very dark movie. If you are a fan of NGE or the Rebuilds, THIS IS A MUST WATCH!
  • I am extremely surprised at the number of people who where confused or disappointed at this film. If this movie is confusing then Evangelion is not the series for you, stick to something lighter and easier to digest. EVA has always been for the hardcore anime fans and 3.0 delivered a mind-blowing epic storyline with absolutely amazing visuals.

It was a surprise that the story took a different turn, but it was pleasant because it's new material for the true EVA fans. Do you really just want to keep watching a remake of the old series crammed into 1.5hr with better graphics? Why not just go and watch the original series then? (The people complaining didn't actually understand the original series anyway)

Not only is this new material, but it is executed extremely well, and I am sure the true EVA fans can appreciate it. The story is so deep and touches elements of philosophy, psychology, and spirituality. It's understandable that many people simply cannot fully grasp all the depth that is contained in this film.
    Third in the "rebuild" of the original series and advances nothing. It's all action and whiny Shinji - Will he ever quit whining? Otherwise there is no character advancement - the others hardly speak. The story moves forward 14 years, yet the EVA kids have not aged, and Shinji has been in a coma all this time. It's several large battles and extended scenes with Shinji whining again. I don't know what they're trying to accomplish but I watched it twice and it's a real failure as a standalone film. They've turned the EVA storyline upside down, yet fail to explain why any of this has occurred. May be it's the translation, but I doubt it. 6/10, and I'm being kind. Well, have to wait another year to find out how this mess ends - again.
  • I haven't checked who wrote Evangelion 3.0 but it's worlds apart compared to the first 2 movies with countless discrepancies throughout the script. In the 2 first movies the main character (Shinji) was infatuated with Misato and then fell in love with Ayanami. At the same time Misato and Ayanami also had feelings for Shinji. So when the 3 movie starts and Misato finally sees Shinji after 14 years she is stone cold something which continues for the first half of the movie. Now i know that Shinji and EVA where responsive for the near-third impact so some people got mad at him but at the end of the day Shinji didn't wish for that nor did he do something for that to happen, it just did so behaving in such an irrational way towards him is not something i would expect. Also for most of the movie Shinji is not at the helm of an EVA something we were used in the first 2 movies and perhaps that's the main problem with this Evangelion. You see just like their can't be a Gundam SEED/Destiny without Kira Yamato flying a Gundam there can't be an Evangelion without Shinji inside an EVA. Bottom line poor implementation of something that could had been a great Evangelion movie.
  • Confusing, nonsensical, over-the-top, incoherent, childish, tiring to the eye, not quite fit for a child because of mature scenes and character outfits, certainly not fit for an adult because after a certain age, one usually feels the need for something to make sense to be able to follow and not have his mind scream 'Stop!Please, stop torturing me!" With a bit of alcohol, good company (and... I dunno... maybe mushrooms?), *maybe* you'd be able to enjoy this, if ONLY it didn't take itself so seriously. And it's difficult for me to imagine what must feel to be the author(s) of this thing. I've often found myself wondering what it was that they smoked to get such a bad trip.

Nevertheless, I gave it a 2 star, because the animation is not at all bad, (if only the speed and twirl of some of the scenes didn't give you headaches), it does have decently good aesthetics, within the anime style, but the plot, extremely hard to follow, never feels like it is a plot, rather a filling, a pretext for putting in nice moving pictures a cocktail of everything (but ab-so-freaking-lute-Ly everything!) someone found cool in his whole lifetime of a being a geek obsessing about sex and robots and aliens and monsters and sex and kids and battles and sci-fi and sex - all of them cool on their own, but completely randomly connected into an enormous, chaotic amalgam that does not go anywhere, and is even somewhat insulting to the intelligence of the people who actually have an appreciation of all those things. I could never find cool a protagonist that whines and is wimpy, annoying and pathetic, then goes straight "over 9000" because potato, he's the protagonist and shut up, he must be cool and you must like him and get a gratuitous and fake sense of achievement. It made me just sad, and longing for something like "Samurai Champloo" and "Cowboy Beebop" kind of anime, and feeling a little sorry and hopeless for the future of this genre.

And all this outrage exactly because I really, really want to like anime, I know it has so much potential, but I keep walking into this sort of disappointing incoherent and over-the-top shark-jumping disasters that turn me away. And this one right here competes for the title of the biggest mind-f** in this otherwise appealing genre.

In other words... No! Just don't watch! Never! This thing is full of big, fat NOPE. Unless you hate your brain, then, yes, by all means, knock yourself out... speaking of, now please excuse me, I have a wall to hit with my skull, repeatedly, and hope it helps me forget... whatever that was I just watched a few nights ago...
    Evangelion: Q, unequivocally completes everything that was missing in the Evangelion franchise.

First however, I noticed many reviewers of this film state in their review explicitly that they were confused by the story, and gave the film a low score. I will try to elucidate the plot in the end, and recommend people who don't understand the film refrain from rating the film. 1.0 and 2.0 with its dazzling visuals drew a lot of newcomers who aren't acquainted with the history of the Eva universe, those people of course will feel like nothing has happened in 3.0, when on the contrary, so much that has happened can be inferred.

The visuals, editing, music... everything except the plot is what we'd expect from Evagelion. If anything should be said about them it is that somehow, music still overshot my expectation. So without further ado let's continue to the story. First, a review without spoilers:

Unlike previous Eva plots, there is no plot device this time (DSS Choker does not count and I'll explain why below), in other words no elements introduced to impel the story forward to an intended outcome. Now that is a hefty achievements. Everything that happens feel authentic, real, which makes it seem like Q is not trying to make a point. The emotions between characters are genuine, and all the characters are fleshed out without having to show their background. In real life people do not reveal their past, yet often we feel we know them. That is the effect of characters in Eva Q.

-Spoilers Begin here- - !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - - Warning -

The Evangelion series has finally lived up to its religiously connotative namesake with Q. The association of the DSS Choker with the Albatross that once hung on the neck of a certain mariner in Rime of the Ancient Marinare by Coleridge is obvious to littérateurs (in that story, the mariner shot the albatross and brought bad luck to his crew, he was then forced to wear the dead albatross on his neck until all his crew members died). Later, Shinji's sins, or DSS Choker, are quite literally removed by Kowaro, and placed upon his own neck, whereupon he ultimately died for Shinji's sins. Sounds familiar? In one simple story Anno managed to allude to not one, but two great works of literature, one of which finally substantially links Evangelion to Christianity, as it had initially done through visual only.

Nothing substantial happens to the development of the characters... on screen. That is to say, they are fully fleshed out, grown up adults with personality and history before the film begins. Asuka is my favorite, she is practically a mother to Shinji during the final scene. Her thorough disgust with Shinji's childish, out-of-place behavior in the grown up world is actually an indication of her own disgust at her own past. She shows vicariously through Shinji that she terribly regrets ever being so crazy. (You may feel free to draw parallels between old Asuka and Hideaki Anno, who once suffered from depression.) Then Misato, after 14 years is clearly not infatuated with Shinji anymore, still can't let go. Her maturity is striking, it makes me wonder about her past, the hallmark of a good character. What happened to the Rei that Shinji saved(?) is still a mystery, we'll have to wait for 4.0... and finally, Kowaro, the savior that makes this film.

Kowaro is the only source of light in Shinji's life throughout the entire series, as he should be, because he's Jesus. (In case you're wondering, I don't believe in God) He completely understands Shinji even though Shinji can't express himself. Kowaro is the love people so desperately search for their whole life. Seeing those two work so marvelously together is the highlight of this film, even if you say nothing happened in 3.0... well, this happened - their semi-erotic love affair - and that is enough.

• end of spoilers -

Evangelion: Q is an Evangelion that matured even further than that of the original TV series. It felt like a true sequel. Though it may sit uneasily with 1.0 and 2.0, it is because those films failed to capture the spirit of the original. To me, the true sequence of the series, one that puts it in the best light, is: the TV series, the ending of 2.0, Q, and End of Evangelion or hopefully 4.0. The rest is good in its own way, and certainly watchable for their visual banquet alone.
    "Evangelion 3.0", or as I prefer to refer to it "Evangelion Q" is, in my opinion, the brightest piece in the revival movie series so far; it doesn't just replicate the script of the original series with updated visuals like its predecessors, but strives to create a soul for itself and carve a new path for the series as a whole.

From the first view it is easy to see that Q wasn't tailored for neither the casual viewers nor the die hard fans, no, it was made with a way more specific yet elusive audience in mind, that is, the intelligent crowd.

Q is, at its core, purely an exposition film much like 1.0; and whoever dwells in whatever events the film shows is a complete moron because that is clearly not the focus, the purpose of the film is to set up the rules of this new universe. What Q does differently from its earlier predecessor is that while 1.0 was easy on the viewer and evoked a sense of security, Q's objective is to shift the paradigm as aggressively as possible, to feel alien and uninviting.

And why should it be any different? At this point we're in a world torn by a Third Impact, failed Instrumentality and fourteen years of war, like Shinji, we're not supposed to feel welcome, everybody knows more than they let on, but the time skip gives the movie a reason not to disclose this new logos.

Exposition is a tricky thing to do, if you say too much without a reason you bore your audience, Q understands this; it shows instead of telling, it doesn't have Asuka or Misato talk around for hours about what transpired in those 14 years because they don't need to, they both already know it, so discussing it would be forced.

Q is careful enough to show us a lot, but give us very little context, its daring new direction will insult the dimwitted, but will pique the interest of those who understand what Anno is trying to do here.
    Evangelion 3.33 is by far the biggest departure from the show so far. The completely rewritten ending for 2.22 didn't leave much in the way for the third instalment to continue the trend of reimagining the original series, and 3.33 doesn't even attempt to do that. The closest we get is the infinitely more fleshed out relationship between Shinji and Kaworu. In the show this was rushed through, with Kaworu introduced suddenly, and Shinji's trauma stemming from Kaworu's fate felt like one of the shows few hollow moments. But in the Rebuild films, Kaworu has been a background presence since the beginning. 3.33 goes even further and dedicates the meat of the movie to their relationship, without being distracted by other characters. It almost feels like the unabridged and expanded version of episode 24.

But otherwise 3.33 is completely different to anything we've ever seen in Evangelion. The movie starts with an eye-patched Asuka retrieving Shinji from an orbital stasis in one of the most spectacular animated sequences I've ever seen (and even better on a bigger screen in HD). It's been fourteen years since the end of the last movie, and a lot has changed. The Third Impact left a post-apocalyptic world behind, and many of the characters grew and developed offscreen. Nerv is no more, and Misato and Ritsuko have branched off, taking the EVA's with them, and even building themselves a command ship from the wreckage of EVA 01. Asuka and Mari are still teenagers thanks to "the Eva curse", Shinji obviously hasn't aged a day while in stasis (even mentally), and as we find out later on, Rei didn't make it out of 2.22 (at least not physically), so the Rei we get is a new clone; a blank slate. Tokyo-3 is a ruin, the geofront is uncovered, and the surface is covered in the aftermath of the failed Instrumentality attempt.

In fact, the closest comparison I can come to to the original run is End of Evangelion (which I'm actually regretting not reviewing, so maybe I'll revisit another time), especially in 3.33's climatic moments. Shinji, through sheer desperation to fix the damage he caused in the Third Impact, and ignoring the advice from everyone around him, pulls the spears from the body of Lillith, and inadvertently causes a Fourth Impact. It's also here where the theories of Rebuild being a sequel series rather than a reboot really start to take shape. The sense of familiarity and being stuck in a loop starts to peer through.

Of course by comparison End had a whole movie's runtime to explore it's heavy themes and crazy plot developments, while 3.33 only has the final act to do so. This results in a lot of the details not making a whole lot of sense, especially considering how drastically new this continuity is, and how fast and hard it plays with the originally established mythology. Kaworu mentions being the first Angel, and somewhat turns into the thirteenth by the movie's end. How or why this is even possible is never explained, nor is Lillith's involvement and transformation in all of this. Why was pulling the spears a good idea and now suddenly a bad one? What's going on with Instrumentality? Why are Seele encased within their communication monoliths? How did Instrumentality transform the population into Evas? And how did Nerv escape this fate? What happened to Kaji, and what did Nebuchadnezzar's Key have to do with anything? Where is the original Rei? What is "the Eva curse"? Of course many of these questions may find answers in the fourth movie, but I'm pessimistic on that point, especially considering the condensed nature of the Rebuild movies so far. 4.0 would basically have to be a ninety minute exposition dump in order to answer everything.

One of the most prevailing complaints I've seen about this movie revolve around how the characters were treated this time around. In a way it's true, the characters have changed a lot, and the vast majority of them are not treated very well. We're chucked in with a fourteen year time jump, and just like Shinji we're left wondering what on Earth happened in those years. But the movie doesn't make any attempt to redevelop the characters, or explore how or why they changed. Asuka is much the same Asuka as she was in 2.22 (which is a hollow shell of her Neon Genesis version but I digress), and the same goes for Mari who comes out of 3.33 just as meaningless and unnecessary as she was before. Misato and Ritsuko have quite evidently changed a lot, but their appearances are glorified cameos at best. The Rei of 3.33 is not the same Rei of 2.22. She's a blank slate, an obedient doll, a soulless vessel devoid of emotion or humanity. Even Shinji feels like he's regressed a little, back to being the desperate whiny Shinji from Neon Genesis, having not learned anything from the events of the previous movies. However none of this bothered me nearly as much as it seemed to bother the rest of the fandom, in large part because the Rebuild films have been scant on character development anyway, and 3.33 was no different by my assessment. If you loved the character development and psyche study of Neon Genesis, the Rebuild films are never going to fulfill you. It would be physically impossible to do so from the confines of their blockbuster running time.

But what 3.33 does manage is vastly improve the animation. Not just in comparison to Neon Genesis like the other movies, but even in comparison to the other movies themselves. I admit I haven't watched a great wealth of modern anime (read as: none), but 3.33 is hands down the most phenomenal looking anime I have ever seen (so far). The hand-drawn 2D style so married to the anime style is kept intact, but updated, given greater depth and colour, and even given its own sense of a three-dimensional presence. The 3D CGI goes a long way in reinforcing this, giving the illusion of intricate camera movements. And it all blends seamlessly with the more typical anime models. One shot in particular has the Wille crew strapped in ready for battle, and the camera pans around their suspended harnesses. The characters are still moving and talking, but the ever-changing perception gives them a three dimensional appearance. The use of lighting and colours only emphasise this further. Of course this also results in a surprisingly amount of detail, not only in surface rendering like a sky full of clouds, but also in subtle changes in expression. Anime has never been subtle about facial expressions, but here every little twitch and glance is meaningful. 3.33 is nothing short of gorgeous to watch, and it makes me ever sadder for Disney's decision to let go of 2D animation entirely in the early 2000's, resulting in it becoming an artistic style rarely seen in animated movies these days. Maybe I just need to watch more modern anime (I hear the work of Makoto Shinkai is particularly beautiful to watch).

I enjoyed 3.33 a lot, maybe even more than 1.11, and certainly more than 2.22. Of course End is still my favourite piece of work from the entire franchise, and even the fourth Rebuild movie will have to do a lot to outdo it, but for now 3.33 is probably up there as my second favourite so far. It's not perfect, but neither was Neon Genesis. And it was nice to review one of these movies without having something to strictly compare it to, but of course by this point in the Rebuild you can't really judge them by themselves. 3.33 is not a standalone movie, and cannot be measured as such. Whether it relates to the other Rebuild movies, or to the original series, 3.33 requires context. I give it a solid 8/10, and I'm already hankering for a rewatch of the entire thing.
  • nighthunter90927 August 2019
    "Evangelion is like a puzzle, you know. Any person can see it and give his/her own answer. In other words, we're offering viewers to think by themselves, so that each person can imagine his/her own world. We will never offer the answers, even in the theatrical version. As for many Evangelion viewers, they may expect us to provide the 'all-about Eva' manuals, but there is no such thing. Don't expect to get answers by someone. Don't expect to be catered to all the time. We all have to find our own answers." - Hideaki Anno

End of Evangelion released on July 19th, 1997 in Japan Evangelion 3.33 released on November 17th, 2012 in Japan.

The story of 3.33 begins 14 years after 2.22's conclusion. Ultimately, the plot does not matter. The story was never meant to be about the lore, or the EVAs, or the Angels. The story is one of Japanese society, and those who reject society and seek ways to escape their lives. 2.22 was an idealised version of the original series by the fans, and in Eva's irony, Eva's characters have become caricatures on which Otaku and Hikikomori can escape reality, Rei in particular. 3.33 is Anno talking to the audience.
  • I did not watch the original 26 episodes series but I watched in these days all Evangelion films, because of the high ratings: Death and Rebirth (a recompilation of the original series), The End (a rewriting of the End of the series, still considered one of the best Anime ever), and then the last three, 1 and 2 which reboot the series apparently without mayor changes, and 3 which goes in new territories.

At first I will write about Evangelion in general, and then about this specific movie here. In all Evangelion the writer touched any possible demagogic stereotype and cliché on earth: father/son relationship, Oedipus complex, a bit of the typical Manga Style sexuality, cheap psychology, and a huge amount of very cheap esoterism with symbolisms of all kind. My opinion? A big omelet of everything, which finally means absolutely nothing. Wiki says that after the failure of his previous works (which he judged as childish) he wanted to make something "deeper". My impression is that he did not even try to BE deeper, rather just to SEEM deeper in order to impress the audience. And I am afraid that only the Naive could be impressed by such a confused mess.

I can still see why this show had success: Evas are cool, fights too, and there is enough mix of drama, action, teenage nerd sexuality in the typical Japanese style, and some sort of epic. I suppose that if you are younger than me and without any knowledge of psychology or esoterism, and a bit nerd, you may enjoy this works pretty much more than I did.

About this last Evangelion 3: it changes lot of things of what he had done before. In my opinion it is more complicated and meaningless than ever. Animations are good, story a mess. I cannot believe that this is the result of so much time and work. I think he just got lost in his omelet of cheap esoterism and cannot end Evangelion well because all what he wrote has got no meaning, so he cannot end it in a meaningful way. It leaks from all points. After this one, I hope that there will never be a 4 movie.