Hmmm, a sports team is in a plane crash, gets stranded on a snowy mountain, and is faced with the difficult decision to eat the flesh of their dead companions in order to survive. Sound familiar anyone? I refer to "Alive" from 1993. The only major difference here, of course, is that a big, white, drunken scare crow of a Yeti shows up a few times to drag off the dead. I guess humans taste better than yaks.

Stupid: The man in the first scene does not have a reliable firearm when hunting the Yeti, nor does he have a backup.

The plane crash is completely bogus. It would have either exploded in the air, exploded when it hit the ground, or become obliterated. The people would not have survived, but hey, it's sci-fi.

Stupid: They survived, and they are cold. It might be a good idea to harness some of the burning debris nearby so as not to freeze to death. Fire being warm as it is...

WTF: The pilot has frost formed all over his face while he's alive and talking, but oddly enough, no one else does.

Stupid: One of the guys tells the others to look for matches and lighters, but there are scattered parts of the plane ON FIRE all around them.

Stupid: They find coats and hoodies, and yet there in the cold of the Himalayas, they fail to use the hoods!

Stupid: They're staring at a pile of sticks when, I reiterate, there are pieces of the plane ALREADY BURNING.

Stupid: The Himalayas are notorious for its storms. It would be common sense for them to collect the debris in order to reinforce their structure rather than sitting outside bickering. There are a lot of pine trees around, the branches of which make excellent insulation.

WTF: When in doubt, use a dead man's arm as a splint.

WTF: If the one guy knows so much about the hibernation habits of squirrels, bears, and leopards in the Himalayas, then why doesn't he know enough to make shelter and set traps right from the start?

Stupid: When attempting to trap wild animals, mindless conversation in the vicinity of said trap always helps.

WTF: Do you know how hard it would be to cut a frozen corpse with a shard of glass?!

WTF: The group was ready and armed to fight the Yeti while the other two were standing there defenseless. The Yeti ripped out the guy's heart and stomped the girl's head, and the gang did nothing. There's love.

So two Yetis and a convenient avalanche to bury the evidence forever.... or so we think. Mwuhahahaa! The story continues into more idiocy but the most action occurs in the last 15 minutes, as usual. Nice thinking with the javelin and the chain, although this is some ingenuity (with the magically-appearing chain) that they lacked in the beginning of the movie when they couldn't even make fire despite the fact that it was all around them.

As is typical for the Sci-Fi Originals, the loving couple kisses at the end like nothing horrible has just happened to them (not to mention they ate human flesh and haven't brushed their teeth in several days).

The very end, however, is quote lame.
  • Ah yez, the Sci Fi Channel produces Yeti another abominable movie. I was particularly taken by the scenes immediately following the crash where, as the survivors desperately searched for matches, at least a half dozen fires burned – with no apparent reason – at various points of the wreckage. Fire seemed to be a predominate theme throughout. They searched corpses for lighters and matches, and finally finding a box built a fire every day for, apparently, 12, but no one ever gathered wood. Then when the vegan (hah) burned the bodies, what did she use for an accelerant? I mean these guys were frozen – well maybe not. Despite the apparent low temperature everything the yeti ate, bled. Maybe it's just me, but even in a totally unbelievable tale (none of the survivors had ever heard of a yeti, or an abominable snowman, until the very end), if you take care of the little things the bigger deals become more acceptable. Oh, what did the prologue (1972) have to do with the remainder of the movie? And the revolver, warm enough to hold in his hand, froze up and wouldn't fire. Gimme a break. Well, at least we have Carly Pope, another eminently lovely Canadian lass. And, with little irony, Ed Marinaro as the coach.

Well I might as well add, the rabbit they ate (despite it looking like chicken) is not a rodent, but a lagomorph. Now if it had been a squirrel (or a rat) it would have been a rodent, but it still looked like chicken. And the writers missed a real chance to have someone note "It tastes just like..."
    Yeti: Curse of the Snow Demon starts aboard a plane full of American high school teens who are on their way to play a football game in Japan, unfortunately during a fierce thunder storm their plane crashes in the Himalayas. Unlucky really. With some dead & some alive the survivors have to think about themselves & decide to wait it out until help comes. However just when they think their luck couldn't get any worse they soon discover that a huge, hairy Yeti type Abominable Snowman creature wants to kill & eat them all. Trapped, cold, starving & fighting for survival will help reach the stranded teens in time?

Yeah, with a title like Yeti: Curse of the Snow Demon it can only mean one thing & that is that someone at the Sci-Fi Channel has made yet another 'Creature Feature' although to give these things a bit of variety the Sci-Fi Channel here in the UK are now dubbing them as a 'Beast Feast'! As if that will make any difference. Directed by Paul Ziller one has to say that Yeti: Curse of the Snow Deamon is a terrible film but a somewhat entertaining one at the same time, sure it's bad but it's sort of fun at times too. The basic premise is alright actually, it's a sort of cross between Alive (1993) with it's plane crash & the survivors having to turn cannibal to survive & the excellent gory killer Bigfoot (another legendary hairy monster) exploitation flick Night of the Demon (1980) which I would defend with my last breath & I have to say it's not exactly a marriage made in heaven but as I said it's fun at times if not exactly gripping or well written. The character's are mostly annoying American teens, there's the expected arguing, there's the macho hero, the strong female & the coward who thinks only of himself so there's no prizes for originality. There are some plot holes too, if a plane load of people crash why only send two rangers on foot to search for them? How are you going to dig a large hole & line it with sharpened sticks in the space of ten minutes? Why did the Yeti not kill that bird at the end? It had killed everyone else up to that point so why not her? The 'there are actually two Yeti's running around' twist isn't used to any effect at all either. At least there's a good pace about the film, it certainly moves along at a fair old pace & I never found myself becoming bored with it. There's some moderately gory action & the film does have some fascination in seeing whether the kids are going to survive or not & if they are going to eat their dead mates or not.

The one thing you can always say about these Sci-Fi Channel 'Creature Features' or 'Beast Feasts' is that the CGI computer effects will be laugh out loud hilarious & so that proves to be the case yet again. The plane crash at the start looks awful & the Yeti when it's CGI looks simply embarrassing jumping all over the place like it's on a pogo stick. There one or two nice gore scenes including a ripped off arm, a squashed head, a ripped out heart, some dead bodies, some blood splatter & the best bit when the Yeti rips a guy in half & beats him with his own ripped-off legs before biting a big chunk out of them. According to the IMDb the actor playing the Yeti took three & a half hours to get into the suit & the make-up which seems like a long time since it's actually a pretty tatty looking creation. Apparently the original title was Raksha: Curse of the Snow Demon with Raksha meaning demon in Tibetan Sanskrit, so now you know.

This has reasonable production values considering the usual Sci-Fi Channel stuff they churn out although the mountain location looks nothing like the harsh, bleak Himalayas & was probably situated near some ski resort somewhere & during a lot of the daytime scenes it actually looks pleasantly warm. The acting isn't that good & I didn't think any of the girls looked that good either which didn't help.

Yeti: Curse of the Snow Demon is another terrible Sc-Fi Channel 'Creature Feature' if I am honest that any sane person will not like but if your looking for a bit of horror themed fun then this isn't too bad & there are one or two entertaining moments that make it somewhat watchable even if it's not very good.
    Having watched this movie on the SciFi channel, I can only conclude that this film was made by a bunch of amateurs who have never seen a movie in their lives. The film is an endless sequence of bizarre occurrences, or "delights" as the friend reading over my shoulder is telling me. The plot isn't really worth commenting as, but basically a plane carrying football players crashes into Yeti territory. Before the movie is over, we are treated to yetis ripping hearts out, yetis waddling in an effort to run before jumping 50 meters, yetis ripping a man's legs off and beating him with them, a woman killing a rabbit at 30 meters with a javelin, a yeti surviving several bullets and being set on fire with no apparent harm, a yeti dangling off a cliff by holding to a man's shoe, yet then jumps off, and a whole collection of further, bizarre occurrences. Basically, if you aren't staying up on a Saturday for the expressed purpose of watching the worst of SciFi channel original movies, avoid this film like the plague. Or as my friend reading over my shoulder says: "It's the best movie I have ever seen." To which the friend on my right says: "Only battle techno music could have made it better."
  • A football team is flying over the Himalayan Mountains when their plane crashes in desolate territory. Bodies are searched for food and lighters in order to survive. But the team has bigger problems than the cold: they have landed in the vicinity of the legendary yeti, and he's plenty hungry.

This made-for-TV movie directed by Paul Ziller and written by Rafael Jordan, neither of whom have offered anything noteworthy thus far in their careers. I'm not sure that this will really boost either of their careers, as it, too, is nothing noteworthy. In fact, it's a largely pointless endeavor. Even the cast is pretty much a group of unknowns, with the minor exception of Crystal Lowe, whom you're unlikely to have heard of unless you follow movies closely.

What makes me curious is whether this film is intended to be bad, or is just plain bad. That makes a difference, as I can forgive a film's badness if the intent was self-deprecation. For example, the star quarterback's name is Peyton Elway. Now, I'm not a fan of the NFL -- I don't even know the names of my local team's starting lineup, but I do know who Peyton Manning and John Elway are. So the reference was about as obvious as can be. Please tell me this was intended as a bad joke and not as a poor attempt to be clever.

I have to say the airplane animation was not needed, and the same with the yeti. The airplane looks especially cheesy while crashing, and I felt the point was made adequately from just the interior shots. The yeti, which required an elaborate costume, repeatedly is shown jumping and running as a cartoon. Why? Did the crew have no faith in the costume? If they can show it close up, surely it would look fine at a distance -- I mean, it's not as bad as "Raptor Island", but still.

The one thing this film has going for it, besides a decent survival narrative (which, ironically, is ruined rather than strengthened by the yeti), is a brief limb-beating scene. It's close to the end, so you'll have to sit through plenty of bull first. And, sadly, despite a football team -- with women -- on a plane, no mile high club (see "Snakes on a Plane", or better yet, don't).

Conclusion: The Maneater series has some decent entries ("Croc") and some not-so-decent entries ("Blood Monkey"). This one falls somewhere in the middle. Interesting enough to hold your attention, but not interesting enough to recommend to friends or watch a second time. And since the disc comes with no special features, there's no good reason to spend more time on this one than the 87 minutes of running time.
    *** This comment contains spoilers ***

Well, its the only yeti flick i have ever seen.

I give this movie a 6 because it made me laugh so hard.

Normally i do not care to much about that a Fantasy/Horror movie is not realistic in every detail. But Yeti:Curse of the Snow Demon is unrealistic and unlogical in every detail. Do not understand me wrong. This does not make this movie bad, it is what makes this movie entertaining. Because every new scene you will be totally amazed how wrong all that stuff is that the protagonists do to survive. They do not need a yeti. In reality they would be dead after one hour.

I do not know where to start. At the beginning you see a historical scene from 1977 where a bunch of guys try to shoot a yeti. Then the pistol freezes(???) and the yeti eats them. Thats all, there is no more connection to the rest of the movie.

Next scenes are making sure that you know the names of five members of a football player team which travels to japan for a match. Do not care that only two of them look like football players. The rest of them looks like math students.

Then the plane crashes i a total unrealistic way. No wings, no tail, but still able to fly a few miles and land savly. For no special reason its seems important for every one to leave the wind protected rest of the plane. There is no fire or any other danger. Then the guys hanging around directly in front of the plane only dressed with jeans and t-shirts. And yes, they survive that for hours in the middle of the himalaya at -4.0 °F.

The best thing is. Everybody who is injured is doomed to die. Even if only his leg is broken. There is no rescue effort for them and even if the team starts a fire, the injured have to sit in the plain and freeze to death. Again with no special reason. For example the injured pilot gets his scene where he tells where to search for the radio, then everybody leaves without a comment and he is free to die alone :).

Later you will see a burned corpse from the plane crash. Which is a bit mystical because the plane did not burn and every other corps is perfectly unburned.

But the best thing what i have ever seen in movies is the unbelievable rabbit chicken scene. They hunt a rabbit. Then they cook and eat a chicken. I do not know that, but is it a problem to buy a rabbit at an American supermarket if you need one for you're movie?

And there is much, much more. Look forward to a movie with riped of arms used as a splint for a broken leg, fire which burns with wet wood, storms which you can not see (everybody is talking about the storm. There is no storm in the whole movie), cannibalism after two days without food, cutting frozen flesh with a piece of glass, having perfect makeup after a plane crash and five days in the woods, burning freezed corpses to ashes with a stick ... i do not know where to stop. There is no scene which is not totally wrong.

Oh by the way ... the yeti looks a bit more realistic then King Kong (1933). (Yes, it is a guy in a halloween costume)

If you are having fun with watching movies just to laugh about how bad they are, then its the perfect movie for you. I have enjoyed it.
  • First off, I'm not here to dog this movie. I find it totally enjoyable in spite of the poor production quality. The acting herein is about as abominable as the monster stalking them, although the monster itself is quite well done...impressively well done, at that. He actually looks kind of other-worldly, like an alien family on vacation landed in the Himalayas and while dad was out taking a ... attending to nature's call, Spot got loose and they just didn't have time to hunt him down. That, or he's the Caucasian brother of the Wishmaster. I haven't decided which.

Actually, this seems to have been filmed somewhere in snow country, yes, but more likely Canada somewhere than China anywhere. The trees and vistas say Canada to me, and it's okay that the set area never takes on the look or feel of uber-coldness one might expect to find in the Himalayas of China. It's a Sci-Fi Channel movie, so we can forgive the lack of location.

Further, apparently (as we have just established) Sci-Fi directors do not travel often, as they are not aware that commercial planes fly above weather like what is featured herein and the subsequent crash actually would not have happened. But as I said, it's a Sci-Fi Channel movie so we must forgive a few things.

The movie is pretty graphic at times, and rotates between "Alive" about the Donner Party, "Predator" about the alien in the woods, and any bad wushu movie where they fly about on wires. The Yeti apparently can leap about like Spiderman...or Super Mario...remember? "Run faster! Jump higher! Live longer!"

Also, the Yeti has missed his teddy bear. He's searched high and low for it, but cannot seem to make a cadaver work. Poor Yeti! You can't help but feel sorry for it. It has survived and evolved thousands of years only to succumb to severe teddy bear loss. He's missed his bear. Or maybe it wants to mate, but that thought is BANISHED! Do ya hear me? Well, it does seem to be an unmated male. REBANISHED!

And it's superhuman. Well, it's not human...it's super-Yeti! But then again, what's normal-Yeti? I don't know, but he has a definite Michael Meyers quality that is completely unsettling. And he's got this fabulous way of cleaning his fur. FABulous Dahlink! It's spotlessly white at times when it SO shouldn't be. He's fastidiously superhu-...super-Yeti.

All in all? This was a lot of fun to watch, has some great kills and a few honest plot elements. In spite of the horribly gravel-like production style, this is actually quite entertaining. I can't help wondering if they're planning on another one?

It rates a 6.0/10 on the M4TV Scale.

It rates a 4.4/10 on the Movie Scale from...

the Fiend :.
  • Mr Yeti and his ugly brother (at least I hope that's not Mrs Yeti) live in a cave in the Himalayan mountains where recently trees (just like in Canada, coincidentally) started growing, not knowing it is far too high up for them. The Yetis eat the occasional stupid explorer or tourist, but since the last ones came around in 1972, they became really hungry. Fortunately, a plane full of bad TV actors crashes nearby, and they are obviously unable to survive (I mean, they start making a tiny fire to save them from the cold while the flames on the crashed plane's wing are still five feet high, see 0:14:39 PAL runtime).

Well, this monster movie has a few (unintended) funny moments, but gory effects make it unsuitable for a younger audience, while it is altogether too annoying for a mature audience, so at the end of the day, it's a cheap flick nobody really needs to watch.
  • drystyx8 November 2008
    This movie is a sci fi run of the mill script about a Yeti killing humans. Some people crash in the jungle. Two people go to rescue them, and a Yeti tries to kill them.

It doesn't take itself too seriously. The actors all do their jobs very well. There's nothing really wrong with the production itself. The script is very tedious and trite. The characters aren't exactly multi dimensional for the most part, but are better than some of what you're used to seeing in modern science fiction.

For some reason, everyone is real young in the story. So much so, that it detracts from the story, and makes it look more like a farce.

Some of the usual stupid bloody gore to make the nerds laugh, and red necks guffaw. Cute girls, rather attractive cast all around.

Probably nothing you'll remember to speak of the next day. But not overly dull or annoying.
  • I had the misfortune to watch this rubbish on Sky Cinema Max in a cold winter night. I am not a big fan of horror movies, because most of them are just trash. This one is even worse: it is one of the dumbest pieces of crap i've ever seen in my whole life. Horror movie? Yes, there are horrible things in this: the acting, the script and the special effects - Gosh, i laughed at this ludicrous attempt to make a flick for 90 minutes. Actually, had it been a comic movie i would've given it a 5. Don't you even think about renting this unless you want to mock at the producers.

Vote: 2 out of 10 - didn't vote one because it made me laugh all the time ;-)
  • The SCI-FI channel brings us another addition to the man eater series, YETI picks up with a bunch of college football players traveling by plane, whose plane crashes in the Himalayas and find themselves having to try and survive the cold and fend of a carnivorous yeti.

YETI isn't something I would call a masterpiece, but it is also not one of the worst films ever made, it is mainly just a good time passer to say the least, sure it has tacky looking CGI, it has dialog that is nothing to write home about, and the yeti looks like chewbacca's angry cousin with a bad tan, the acting however is not all bad, I would say that maybe one or two cast members were not so good, and the others did all right.

Overall, its a low budget made for TV movie, nothing special, but not the worst film that's out there, and it features chewbacca's angry cousin with a bad tan.
  • i remember seeing the reel for this on the soup and thinking that it might be worth checking out. i give a nod to any horror director that attempts to do something creative and interesting. Obviously this movie focuses on the elusive yeti (which i am surprised so many people never heard of lol) so it already has a lot of creature backstory developed. you may think from the somewhat decently pulled off fake plane/flight cgi and expect to see some cool detailed gory killings.... but you won't. 9 out of 10 times i prefer to see some cool oldschool prosthetic based creative effects (A la 90's Fulci, Raimi, Jackson) However, in this movie that was clearly not a good direction for them.

Clearly there was not much budgeted for the yeti as it is almost contrived to look simply ridiculous and borderline humorous (although it's kind of sad when you think of the people that are employed to do "just this" got paid by whatever production company, and now it sits on their resume.) Whatever actor was hired to put on the yeti suit clearly did not research the creature much as it would be more likely to "shamble" around using its legs and its paws... at least that would be what id do. He just flails around with his arms up in the air while running like a person in a yeti costume would. And it is what it is :p

Don't expect cool gore killings or deaths which would have offered some more redeeming value... they just aren't there for some reason. Overall, it's really kind of like a bad remake of "Alive" except one of the supporting characters happens to put on a yeti costume and eat the others.

Plus they ate a squirrel. That's messed up.
  • favourite line

"he survived five days out here with two broken legs and you shot him in the face"

a group of special needs students crash in a plane and struggle without their pop tarts

they are beyond imbecilic with about 99% of everything they do, they try to start a fire with their matches even though the plane wreckage is ablaze around them.

there are so many moments where you would want to shout at the TV screen why on earth are you doing that?

however to summarise it is one of those films where despite being trapped on a mountain in harsh conditions everyone remembered to do their hair and shave

oh and the one thing that got me that has not been mentioned in the post is a rescue team is hiking up there to find them, and she has the binoculars out watching a yeti pushing a piece of airplane fuselage over a cliff. this happens at night. then all of a sudden it is day time and the rescue team show up, what were those binoculars mini Hubble telescopes? because she was close enough to make out a great amount of detail.... never mind watch it if you want the laughs and the really bad cgi

"i can only assume it is some sort of large ape" - said another one of the retarded passengers who lacks any skills (these apes have 3 fingers on their badly made latex hands)
  • An American college football team flying to Japan don't make it when their aeroplane is involved in what must be the most pathetic 'plane crash in movie history & they find themselves stranded in Canada, sorry I mean the Himalayas! Amazingly there are a number of survivors who appear totally unscathed by the ordeal. However it's not just cold & starvation that they have to battle against ("Alive" springs to mind) but also a bloodthirsty Yeti who happens to live near their crash site. Apparently it took 3 1/2 hours a day for the guy to be made up into the creature but he still looks crap. Even worse when he moves at speed (quite ridiculously) the male actor is substituted for very poor CGI. In addition to a rubbish 'plane crash we also get a rubbish avalanche. Acting & script are both poor. Despite being in the wild for about a week all of the guys stay clean shaven. And despite being a college team most of the actors were aged late 20's to early 30's. Granted there is a bit of gore but that doesn't make up for the fact that this movie is dreadful & a waste of my £2 (supermarket budget section).
  • As the opening credits roll, a flashback establishes the presence of a big ugly monster in the Himalayas. Named "Yeti" in the title, it makes a man scream bloody murder… Sometime later, in the "Present Day," an airplane carrying a college football team crashes in the cursed area. The survivors struggle to stay alive while the monster lurks. Making the task very difficult, the predatory "Snow Demon" feeds on people and as an affinity for gore. Handsome blond Marc Menard (as Peyton Elway) and beautiful brunette Carly Pope (as Sarah) head up the cast. The best supporting parts go to sneaky Adam O'Byrne (as Ravin) and sensitive Elfina Luk (as Kyra) – one wants to start eating the dead almost immediately, the other would rather eat Chicken (as Rabbit) until they are rescued...

The lessor supporting roles go to rescue team Peter DeLuise (as Sheppard) and Ona Grauer (as Fury). The latter sports Vulcan eyebrows. They wisely send their helicopter pilot home and decide to simply walk around the Himalayas looking for the plane crash. When they spot fire they don't radio for help – preferring to walk several days, instead. This kind of stupidity runs rampant in the movie, credited to Mark L. Lester and Rafael Jordan and assigned to director Paul Ziller. The survival story is obviously swiped from "Alive" (1993), with the "Yeti" monster throw in as the environmental predator. There's stiff competition for silliest scene, but it may be "Yeti" snuggling up with Ms. Pope in a cave. At least, the end shows filmmakers knew we would be laughing at this lunacy.

*** Yeti (Curse of the Snow Demon) (5/18/08) Paul Ziller ~ Marc Menard, Carly Pope, Adam O'Byrne, Elfina Luk
    A plane whose occupants are an American Football team crash lands in the Himalayas and the few survivors must band together in the wreckage of the plane and try to survive. They stack the dead bodies of their friends in the ice, and it doesn't take long for before thoughts of cannibalism enter their minds. That is until one of them spots a large snow beast dragging one of the dead bodies away. The group's real terror begins once they realize that a Yeti standing about 12 feet tall is planning on using them as a food source. Taking cues from plenty of sources, mostly the "Alive" true story and film, this Sci-Fi Channel movie comes up short on too many levels to speak of. The biggest sin is the Yeti itself is a digitally created mess that hops through the snow looking like a kangaroo more than anything someone would be scared of. And speaking of scares, there are none. Sure the red stuff hits the white snow and some severed limbs are left lying on the ice, but the monster is so stupid and unbelievable nothing else in this movie has a chance to work. The actors try hard but the script doesn't give them much to work with.
    In 1972, two guys on the lookout for the elusive yeti, a mythical ape-type creature, in the Himalayas find him but are killed, now in the present day a football team flying to Japan crash land in the aforementioned mountains and meet up with the abominable creature. They must figure out a way to survive both the freezing temperatures and the rampaging beast(s).

While technically one can't really call this a 'good' film (the special effects, acting & dialog are all laughably bad), I found this Sci-Fi Original to be funner then a lot of others ones that I've seen (sufferred through). Simply campy fun and a six beer minimum should be required to view it.

My Grade: C+

DVD Extras: Promo trailer for this film; & trailers for Sci-fi's Maneater series of films, "Vipers", "Anamorph", & "Furnace"
  • leader-168 November 2008
    I just finished watching this and I was pretty impressed, I'm a huge sucker for sasquatch type movies so I was satisfied for this.

A few things that were funny in the beginning, when it was going into the storm scene, the outside was all stormy, but inside the plane, it was as if it were sunny. I thought that was kinda werid. Also, I think that some of the other people should of had a bigger role in the movie, like the brother of the Asian girl.

I really didn't like the cave chase scenes, when the Yeti comes out of the cave, it was all 3d, and it kept showing up for like 4 times, it got kinda old and stupid after a while.

Zack, i think that's his name, who went to find the radio, i did'nt like how he was there for the first 15 minutes, then disappeared for like 30 minutes, i know they were trying to make it seem like he was on his own and stuff.

The ending I did'nt like really, when Zack, was still alive, (He was shot in the face with the flare gun), and he was crawling out and saw the other yeti's hand come out.

Overall i liked the movie, love sasquatch movies

8 out of 10
    I'd give this garbage minus 10 if the rating was available. From the beginning it's awful. 1972 flashback. Point please? Flight deck of 747 ridiculous (plenty of videos available showing what one really looks like for the 'director'). No one would survive a crash as it is depicted in this tripe. One brain box shakes some brandy or whatever on some twigs (which I'm pretty sure are from deciduous trees, not conifers!) and another bozo strikes one of only 12 matches and everyone whoops with joy as if he's Prometheus! Could go on but others have already warned you with more skill and patience than I can muster. Watch it for a laugh.

Anyway, I thought yeties are supposed to be shy retiring creatures!
  • Remember the 1993 survival drama Alive, in which survivors of an air crash in the Andes avoid starvation by eating the flesh of the dead? Of course you do, and so do the makers of this trash, who copy that film's basic premise but throw in a manky moth-eaten mountain monster for good measure.

Instead of the Andes, Yeti: Curse Of The Snow Demon takes place in the Himalayas, where the air crash survivors -- members of an American football team (in Alive, it was a rugby team) -- find themselves not just faced with a moral dilemma, but with a monstrous ape-man as well, the snow-beast taking advantage of the disaster by restocking his cave larder, starting with the frozen corpses, but later turning its attention to the living.

Apparently made for TV (which explains the intermittent fades to black, presumably for commercial breaks), this is complete and utter Z-grade trash, from the hilariously bad plane crash during a raging storm, to the bloody finale, in which the yeti gets messy. It's shoddily written, poorly acted and features some of the worst CGI I have ever seen, but despite all of these factors (or, perhaps, because of them) the result is strangely watchable. It's hard to completely hate a film that is so blatantly unoriginal, incredibly daft, and surprisingly gory at times.

Watch in amazement as one of the characters splints his broken leg with a severed arm, laugh as the yeti cosies up to survivor Sarah (Carly Pope) in its cave, scratch your head in confusion as the characters search for matches amidst burning wreckage, and cheer in delight as the monster goes kill crazy at the end, crushing heads, ripping out throats and tearing off limbs. Yeti is far from great movie-making (some might say it's abominable), but it definitely has its moments.
  • This is ok if you want to watch a film the defies all logic, has amazingly rubbish acting and a script that could have been written better by a 5 year old. The monster of the title looks like a creepy uncle in a Halloween costume and the effects look like they were done by a college am/dram club. I laughed at most of this film. Who seriously throws a snowball at a yeti in self defence and not run away? My advice would be to watch this only if there is absolutely nothing else to watch on a night when you're intoxicated on whatever it is that floats your boat.
    YETI: CURSE OF THE SNOW DEMON is another laughable B-movie in which a bunch of no-name actors play a bunch of no-name characters, none of whom are remotely interesting. This time around, they're the survivors of a plane crash in the Himalayas (shades of the Andean plane disaster of the 1970s). Instead of turning to cannibalism, they're instead tracked and hunted by the titular creature, who proceeds to bump them off in various gory ways. The main thing you notice about YETI is just how cheap it all is. The gore effects are badly staged and the titular creature looks ridiculous, a guy in a suit just sort of loping around in the snow. For some reason the pacing is off too so this seems to just go on and on despite being a relatively short film.
    A plane carrying an American college football team crashes in the Himalayan Alps, killing half the passengers. The few survivors find that there is almost no chance of rescuers finding their position so two of them head off to find the plane's spare radio, which is some distance away. As their food supply is severely limited, they are forced to ration their food to last for the next couple of days. Time passes & their food runs out. They are then racked with debate over whether to use the bodies of their dead teammates as food to survive. But that is not the least of their troubles – once night falls, they discover that they are not alone – a yeti is roaming the area, intent on feeding itself.

In the past few years, there has been a rise in the number of cheap B-grade monster films, many of which use ridiculous ideas like crossbred animals like Piranhaconda, or insane yet ingenious ideas that no normal A-grade studio would even entertain, like Ghost Shark & the recent Asylum-made Sharknado phenomenon of late.

Yeti: Curse of the Snow Demon is a production by American World Pictures, a B-grade studio specialising in cheap genre-related action & monster films. The director for this project is Paul Ziller, who had earlier done the likes of the cheap generic action film Bloodfist IV: Die Trying starring Don "The Dragon" Wilson as a repo man taking on terrorists. Also making their presence felt is Ona Grauer, an actress who had starred in Uwe Boll's craptacular adaptation of House of the Dead.

For the first half-hour Yeti seems like a reasonable & in parts interesting disaster film where a team of football players crash-land in the Himalayan Alps & are forced to make brutal decisions in order to survive. While the actors don't always convince of their characters' motivations (Adam O'Byrne, who reminds me of the Australian politician Bill Shorten & is just as slimy as his lookalike is), they tackle their roles with sincerity, making the drama intriguing.

But once the monster reappears (it had showed up in a pointless prologue that takes all the mystery out of the film), the film reverts to a standard monster movie. The Yeti is depicted by a reasonably convincing suit & some cheap CGI, making itself into a decent threat & a passable monster. But the story has some lagging plot holes & some of the action set-pieces don't always convince. The Yeti manages to survive being shot, speared & set on fire, finally being dropped to its death in an improbable climax. The epilogue, showing that one of the 'dead' characters is still alive, only to fall victim to another Yeti in the area, is also pointless & detracts from the film. Ziller manages to keep the action going but his mediocre directing skills hurt the film's chances of making a good impression. A once-over for monster movie fans.
  • Scarecrow-886 September 2015
    Yeti
    In a plot quite similar to Alive (with a slight alteration in a few abominable snowmen), a collegiate football team and coaching staff (and crew that helps with the team) are on a plane bound for Japan. It crashlands in the Himalayas where a few Yeti reside (the film, for a bit, features supposedly one creature with a few more revealed later). While a few players are dead due to the crash (or even before as the plane was coming apart due to a serious storm), eventually the Yeti gets in on the action to kill them off (and eat them). With little food or resources, star quarterback Peyton Elway (Marc Menard, quite a pretty boy with pearly whites and blonde hair; he has the misfortune of having a first and last name from star quarterbacks) obeying his coach (Ed Marinaro) who tells him to make sure to lead and help the survivors, must somehow keep everyone safe from harm…with a blood thirsty/ flesh hungry Yeti on the rampage, good luck with that!

Unlike many Syfy creature features, "Yeti" carries a serious tone and offers very little in the way of the tongue-in-cheek approach or high camp. The creature costume is decent enough, and the emphasis on gore is of the severed limbs prop department variety. The hopping Yeti moments are ultimately when the film is at its hokiest. Peyton's flirty love interest is Sarah (Carly Pope), and she is eventually (obviously) kidnapped by a Yeti and taken off to his cave. Towards the beginning, two of the party go to find a radio box to call for help…Garcia (Kris Pope) gets the "everything that could possibly go wrong does" developments of the film. Garcia has two legs that are broken after a bum fall, sees a friend brutally attacked by the Yeti, treks back after days of going through near starvation and succumbing to the cold only to be shot in the face with a flare gun! Ravin (Adam O'Byrne) is the chief antagonist among the cast just due to his douchebaggery. He's the guy that is always irritating everyone, asserting his opinion on the rest of the cast with them always on edge. He might have a point about waiting on help and needing to go and find it instead, but Ravin does so in such a hostile way (voice raised, insistent and persistent on the group doing as he believes is right) it just causes tension in an already anxious situation. It certainly makes Peyton's life more difficult. In the meantime, two rescuers, Sheppard (Peter DeLuise) and Fury (Ona Grauer) are trying to locate the party.

The film goes it straight. It is your basic fight for survival plot. The reveal of other Yeti isn't all that surprising, really. The leanings toward eating from the dead isn't new since "Alive" was notorious for it, or the fact that the plot just changes the players from soccer to football. The leads are okay, and the monster isn't all together silly-looking (which is a plus, really). The idea of not leaning on CGI for the monster was the right decision in my opinion. This doesn't do anything innovative or new. It is your garden variety monster-attacks-humans flick. And , to my disappointment, the sexy Crystal Lowe is positively wasted in a nothing secondary role while Brandon Jay McLaren (Harper's Island) is given a little to do but not much as the guy that is often in the middle of the running feud between Ravin and Peyton.
  • How quickly was this grinded out? Here, a bunch of college athletes on a plane crash into the Himalayas. While waiting for a rescue party, they get stalked by a very unconvincing Yeti with bad teeth. Why can't they outrun it? Because it can jump long distances like a grasshopper. In the meantime, the crash survivors mostly behave in the stupid, irritating way one expects from impending horror movie victims. It includes one obnoxious character named Ravin, whose sole purpose is to have us cheer for his demise. There is a Donnor Party subplot about whether to eat the bodies of those who didn't survive the plane crash, but that's just filler material. It stars a bunch of non-stars, but has an appearance by Peter DeLuise as one of the rescue party, who's clearly just here to collect an easy paycheck. I hope he enjoyed spending it. If so, he's the only person who got any enjoyment from this lame, no-budget flick.