User Reviews (1,091)

• ametaphysicalshark27 June 2008
    Who says popular films can't be art? "WALL·E" is magical
    Who says popular films are not and cannot be art? If anything is proof that popular films can be of a stunningly high quality, the beauty of the animation, writing, music, and sound design in "WALL·E" is it. "WALL·E" eclipses even Andrew Stanton's "Toy Story" and "Toy Story 2" in the Pixar pantheon, is perhaps Pixar's best film to date and, call me crazy as I've just seen it, a contender for the title of best animated film, period.

"WALL·E" is everything we've come to expect from Pixar and more- colorful, vibrant, imaginative, exciting, involving, beautiful, and most importantly a film with interesting, involving characters. Sure, WALL·E is adorable, and as much credit as the animators get for that, this film would be nothing without Stanton's screenplay, which features very little dialogue but is still notably intelligent and surprisingly subtle, making a refreshing change from the 'go green' campaigns we're all so used to. Does "WALL·E" have a message? Sure, but it's an important message and it is delivered subtly and beautifully.

"WALL·E" operates on two levels (and works spectacularly well on both). It is a majestic science fiction epic like we haven't seen in a couple of decades and it is a genuinely touching and never cheap romance. "WALL·E" will never get points for originality but it doesn't exactly need them because the homages to great films and figures of the past- Chaplin, Keaton, Tati, the Marx Brothers, "2001: A Space Odyssey" (this one is particularly spectacular), "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" are actually homages and not ripoffs. "WALL·E" is a wonderful tribute to a bygone cinematic tradition (well, two or three of them actually).

The social commentary in "WALL·E" is sobering because it's never overbearing and most importantly because we see the world through machines, machines who feel more about Earth and life than the humans do. The depiction of humans on the ship could have been incredibly offensive, cheap, and tasteless in concept but the execution here is absolutely perfect.

What is most surprising about "WALL·E" is how sad it is. Not even in the 'how will they get out of this, oh I feel so sorry for them' way "Finding Nemo", a previous Stanton effort, is, but in a truly melancholy sense. The early portion of the film maintains all the playfulness of a Jacques Tati film but also evokes a striking and powerful feeling of loneliness. It's a brilliant introduction to WALL·E, given that the rest of the film is too wacky to bother with long scenes focused entirely on character, and works beautifully with the ugly yet beautifully-rendered future Earth, a barren wasteland filled with nothing but garbage, a seriously resilient cockroach being WALL·E's only companion before EVE shows up, but I won't go into the story- it's best you see it unfold for yourself.

From the entertaining shorts shown before the film to the memorable characters, locations, and animation we have come to expect, Pixar films are now event cinema, and they have outdone themselves with "WALL·E". This film is spectacular, majestic, touching, involving, and achingly beautiful. Most importantly, however, it is perfect entertainment. I may be saying this too soon, but I don't think I have ever seen an animated film that has satisfied me more than "WALL·E", and 2008 is going to have to work hard to keep this from being the top film of the year, which it most certainly is at the moment.

9.5/10
  • DrWetter8 June 2008
    Pixar does it again!
    I just returned from an advanced benefit screening of WALL*E, and I want to be careful not to spill too much regarding the movie. I had the added privilege of watching the film at Pixar, which in and of itself, was amazing.

This picture is not a cartoon; it is a film. In fact, it even has the LOOK of film. One of my complaints of more recent 3-D/CG animated films (not from Pixar) is that they all seem to look the same... clean lines, crisp colors, and very "virtual", for lack of a better term. WALL*E transcends the typical look of CG animation, and has a true to life "grit." The creators at Pixar are true artists, and are indeed masters of their craft. Not only are they masters of the technology, they are masters of telling a story. WALL*E is no exception.

The best way to describe the film is as a science fiction, comedy, dramatic love story. WALL*E, as a character, has dimension, personality, and heart... pretty impressive given that he is essentially a trash compactor. It is true that there is little dialogue in this feature, but I personally did not feel it detracted from the story at all.

WALL*E is very much a different Pixar film from it's previous features. I will be curious to see how it is received by others, but in my opinion, I think Pixar has stayed true to itself, demonstrating a commitment to telling great stories and pushing the edge of technology to leave your jaw dropping! My most sincere compliments to Andrew Stanton, Jim Morris, John Lasseter, Ben Burtt, and all the creative forces at Pixar. Can't wait to see what the future brings...
  • Kristine27 June 2008
    Honestly? This is the best Disney/Pixar movie I have seen
    I'm starting to wonder if there is bad Disney/Pixar film, I mean, normally when we think of the combo, it does equal gold, we automatically know that everyone is going to love this movie, it's just a matter of comparison to the other animation films. I'm not just saying this because I had a good time when I was watching this, I'm very serious, this is my favorite Disney/Pixar film. It's completely worth the ticket price, this couldn't have been a more perfect film. Everything about WALL·E is just beyond great: the characters, the story, and the incredible animation. But the thing that I loved about WALL·E is it's message, I know that it does go a little over board with the "jog or get fat", "throw your garbage away", and the "we've become too dependent on machines" message, but I felt this was the most charming way to present it to the children who have to grow up in a world where they're going to have to worry about global warming, this may open their eyes a little.

WALL·E is a robot that is left all alone on Planet Earth, Earth is now covered with garbage. The humans have left onto a corporate ship and are living their lives care free and well, thought free. WALL·E has been collecting little human pieces here and there and making them into his treasures, but the one thing he really wants is a friend. One day a ship lands with a female robot, Eve, who WALL·E just adores, but Eve is on a mission to find a plant to bring back onto the human ship to show that Earth is safe. But when the ship grabs Eve, WALL·E follows her and discovers the mutiny that is afoot on the ship. Everyone is overweight, can't walk, can't think for themselves, and let's all the robots do all the work for them. But WALL·E and Eve are on the mission to get them back to Earth and give it a little love.

WALL·E is seriously the best movie I have seen this summer, I just adored this movie, it has great laughs, cute jokes and is entertaining for the whole family. Like I said before, when it's Disney/Pixar you just can't go wrong. WALL·E is one of their most lovable characters ever and was like the robot version of Charlie Chaplin, he brought great slap stick to the story. This movie delivers everything you can imagine and much more, not to mention a great message. I highly recommend this movie for everyone, it's just a very wonderful movie that anyone can enjoy. The animation, I can't believe how far we've come, but this was a beautifully made movie and couldn't have been better. I loved WALL·E, this is a movie that will bring you plenty of laughs for your summer.

• CA_movie_fan7 June 2008
    Pixar's still producing the best movies out there
    We went to the San Francisco Film Institute's first public screening at their campus in Emeryville. Everyone's sworn to secrecy, but for a film with little dialog, it carries more of an emotional punch and has a richer story than any live-action movie this year. The tone and style of the film is completely different for Pixar, and Disney haven't tried to override the darker thematic elements at all, making the story surprisingly three-dimensional.

This will end up being the animated film of the year and I had the same 'wow' feeling as after seeing Ratatouille. Considering that animated films have always played second-fiddle to live-action, and have been aimed at kids, it's ironic that once again Pixar produces a film that rivals any live action on every level. Bravo!
  • Chrysanthepop2 November 2008
    A Most Endearing Love Story In Space...And Back
    Over the years I've become quite a sucker for Pixar movies and just love each and every one of them. While there are the states of the art animation and sound effects, the stories have heart. The characters are adorable yet real. It reminds one of those charming movies Disney used to make but Pixar films are very much a unique cinematic experience.

'WALL-E' is quite unusual compared to the previous Pixar movies. There's hardly any dialogue between the two protagonists other than saying each other's name. In fact, barely a word is spoken in the entire first half hour but WALL-E and Eve's silent and playful love story is such a joy to watch. Even though of few words, both characters have strong personalities and the character development is wonderfully done.

The animation is colourful and vivid. Sound effect is amazing. The robot characters are cute and charming. The score deserve special mention as it's mesmerizing and beautiful. Andrew Stanton has done a terrific job as director and co-writer. The portrayal of WALL-E's loneliness and need for love is very well done and then the change that is brought within after the entrance of Eve and his eventual determination to rescue her is effectively shown. There are many genuinely funny and creative moments and it manages to stay away from being 'just plain silly'. The story is rich with humour, action, drama and adventure.

Ben Burtt and Elissa Knight do a fabulous job with the voice acting for WALL-E and Eve. John Ratzenberger, Kathy Najimy and Sigourney Weaver lend great support. While 'WALL-E' tells a magnificent love story it reminds us that Earth is our home and nothing can replace it. It's a joyous magical experience and another sure winner from Pixar.
  • jedi-jones29 June 2008
    An A+ for Wall-E! One of the best movies this century!
    Wall-E is the movie experience I've been looking for. I haven't seen a new film this richly entertaining, thrilling, touching and satisfying since Spider-Man 2. It is truly the finest Pixar or animated CGI film to date. I can discuss it without spoilers easily because it's one of those films, like 2001: A Space Odyssey, that exists more as a pure experience of the heart and the senses than as a collection of events that we're supposed to keep track of intellectually. Wall-E rises above that kind of unnecessary complication into the same kind of space occupied by dreams and the imagination.

This film is beautifully animated, of course, to that magical Pixar point where even piles of what should be disgusting trash somehow look breathtakingly gorgeous and even fairly realistic-looking roaches look cute. But much more importantly, the heart, the emotion in this movie is unlike anything I've experienced at the cinema since Forrest Gump. Certainly my tear ducts have not welled up while watching a movie this much since then. I fell in like with the character of Wall-E when I saw the trailer. Watching the movie, I fell in love with him within about 2 minutes. Shortly after that, I fell in love with the idea of Wall-E falling in love.

My previous favorite movie romance is Superman and Lois Lane in the original Superman films. The love story, or the love experience of Wall-E and Eve is perhaps the first I've seen since then that operates at and succeeds on that same level. These couples create an uncomplicated, innocent, simple, yet deep and powerful bond. They capture the experience of love at first sight, writ large. They possess an instant chemistry that tells you they belong together from the first time they see one another and makes you root for their relationship throughout the film. Wall-E and Eve share moments together of real cinematic beauty, true hilarity, frightening sadness, frustrating difficulty and delightful satisfaction. It's a testament to the level of genius at which the Pixar storytellers are operating that we feel every beat of this relationship resonate every step of the way despite the fact that the characters are robots that are not modeled off of humans and speak no more than a handful of words throughout the movie (this animated movie is refreshingly free of obvious "guest star" voices or any over-the-top stand-up comedians trying to upstage the movie).

Just like in the first Superman films, once you care about the characters as individuals and care about their relationship, it's almost impossible for the rest of the movie not to work. You're hooked at hello. Wall-E adds all the expected complications to keep the would-be lovers from getting together most of the time. There is a truly great "McGuffin" that keeps the heroes and villains busy for quite a while (the item in question is something outwardly simple that ends up holding the key to something more important than anything in the world). The pacing during most of these adventures is as breakneck as anything out of the Star Wars films and the action is always staged with crystal clarity. There are several scenes of peril for Wall-E that are reminiscent of that oddly powerful sequence in Short Circuit 2 when Johnny 5 is almost killed. The filmmakers pull absolutely no punches when it comes to running your heart through the ringer over characters you care about. It probably helps that you can do a lot more physical damage to a robot character than you can to a human character while keeping a G rating and still getting the audience dramatically worried about their survival.

Even on top of the action, the emotion, the visuals and the humor, Wall-E goes the extra mile into thought-provoking thematic territory. The film never hits you over the head with anything preachy and doesn't really even outright tell you what its opinions on the subjects it raises are. It also doesn't explicitly lay out explanations for everything that exists in Wall-E's world (there are no "talking killer" scenes and very little verbal exposition). I think the bits of ambiguity work here because they add to the sense of mystery, helplessness and alienation that most of the characters in the movie feel to some degree.

There are human characters in this movie too, quite a few. I think that's necessary because if humans aren't shown in a robot world, you have to wonder what purpose were the robots designed to serve? That was a curiosity of the earlier CGI movie, Robots. Most of the humans in Wall-E aren't as developed as the robots, but I think that's because they exist more to represent the whole of humanity rather than particular individuals. We're asked to ponder the consequences of the choices they make as though the whole society was moving in that direction, not just one person. Wall-E and Eve are the heart of this movie but the humans are used to add some intellectual gravity for the audience to chew on.

Other choices made in the movie might also leave room for debate, such as the integration of some live-action footage into the film. But because the movie as a whole is so audaciously stimulating and brilliantly satisfying, it's a plus that they left us with a few unresolved or unusual things to think about and question after getting off of the great emotional and visual roller-coaster experience. Wall-E truly serves up everything that I think an audience could want in a movie experience. It will be very easy for me to watch this one over and over again. It is a modern-day classic that I believe should earn a place in cinema history as the "2001" of CGI animated films, both of them movies of indisputable brilliance, unyielding imagination and unending entertainment.

Footnote: The pre-movie short is an awesome, violent Looney Tunes/Roger Rabbit-esquire toon. It wants only to entertain and does.
  • Valeen_the_II27 June 2008
    Not just another Pixar masterpiece....A modern day SCI-FI masterpiece!
    This truly is one beautiful, touching animated sci-fi film....I cannot stress this enough. It's a unique cinema experience that you must enjoy firsthand.

The tale is set in the 22th century , Earth has become a lifeless wasteland full of garbage, that the human race evacuated nearly a millennium ago....Lifeless, that is with the two exceptions being the "artifical" life form "WALL-E" & his pet cockroach.

WALL-E is a squat humble trash-compacting robot who while continuing to fulfill the duties he was programmed for ( even though it's pointless considering there are no more humans on the planet ) collects certain leftover nicknacks, novelty items and even old films that he can still play. He mentally stimulates himself and enjoys fragments of the culture that is now gone ( that of the human race ). Though, WALL-E has imprinted on his little cockroach & vice versa, the little robot longs for more companionship.

He receives it in the form of a beautiful, sleek, defensive "fembot fatale" "EVE "....In their own little forms of robotic communication ( repeating each other's names in various connotations depending on moods ; "WAAAALLL-E," "EEEEEEEE-VAH!" ) and WALL-E's Chaplin-esquire clumsiness that amuses EVE, the pair imprint on each other and enjoy each other's company.

Sadly, EVE has located a small plant and must return it to her mother ship and leave WALL-E forever...But WALLL-E hops aboard the ship in pursuit of his darling "EEEEEE-VAH".

And yes this film has very little dialog, but guess what, IT DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' DIALIOUGUE!....The brilliance and beauty of the film is in the interactions and responses of the little robots : a great representation of what "artificial intelligence" really is and what it may actually be one day!

And how ironic it is that in this film the organic HUMAN RACE has become soulless, mirthless, artless, jaded, self-centered cogs in a machine of blind consumerism, yet the mechanical artificial beings still respond to their surroundings like a toddler or pet : with curiosity, wonder, and delight in communication & learning.

And yes there is plenty of comic relief ( albeit sans dialouge ) so no this movie is NOT BORING....It's beautiful, it even made me a little bit misty-eyed.

So yeah if you're an a fan of animated films, sci-fi films, and romance you should definitely check out this movie.

Obviously, it is going to win a very well-deserved Oscar for "Best Animated Film".
  • buiredintime27 June 2008
    Not only great, but a new plateau in animation
    I can't say enough about how good this movie, that you probably haven't read, so I'm going to keep this short.

This is the best thing out there in theater's right now, and might just be the best animated film of all time, whether you believe that or not, is your own opinion, but what Pixar has done here, can put companies like Dreamworks, Sony, and Blue sky to shame.

Wall E also may go down as the most lovable character ever to grace the movie screen, I praise Ben Burtt and Andrew Stanton, and the people at Pixar for what they did, and will continue to do.

This is why Pixar is the top studio in the world.

• seaview15 July 2008
    WALL-E Brings Pathos to Computer Animation
    Pixar has produced some of the best animation in the past decade with its computer-generated features (Toy Story, Monsters Inc., and Finding Nemo) that have been marked by strong story lines and vivid characters. The tradition continues in an impressive way with Wall-E. This deceptively simple tale is transformed by the emotional content told almost entirely through visuals.

A polluted Earth has become uninhabitable for 700 years, and one of its only residents is Wall-E, a small robot whose solitary mission is to be a mobile, trash compactor. In his work, he also finds and collects trivial, odd artifacts of mankind's past such as a Rubik's cube. He comforts himself with an old video, Hello Dolly, and as he learns about humans and his yearning for love, it becomes his idyllic vision of happiness amid an insulated, dull existence. Along his travels, he comes across a unique find, a live plant! One day a spaceship lands and deposits a robot probe. Fascinated by this kindred machine, Wall-E follows and eventually befriends this unit known as Eve. Eve has a directive that will hopefully return humans to Earth if only it can sustain life, and Wall-E's plant figures immeasurably. Eve is returned to her mother ship with Wall-E frantically chasing after his newly found love. On a spaceship acting as a living city for its machine-dependent, overweight humans, little robots are not only the caregivers, but in control. Wall-E and Eve must figure a way to return the humans to earth and find happiness even if it means making the ultimate sacrifice.

Wall-E's innocence and childlike wonder (think E.T.), as exemplified by how he introduces himself to everyone he meets, could almost have sprung from Steven Spielberg's imagination. It's in the small details that enrich Wall-E as a character. He brings to mind an amalgam of past robots like Star Wars' R2-D2 and the little robots in Silent Running, and his fears and joys are expressed through body language and squeals. When he shuts down each night to sleep, he rocks himself as a child would. He is clumsy around Eve, and when he takes her to his makeshift home of robot parts and paraphernalia, he is like a little kid. Ironically, he is the catalyst to bring the humans back home.

Writer and director, Andrew Stanton (Finding Nemo), takes a huge risk by basing the film's premise almost entirely on a song from Hello Dolly. I can't think of an animated film that relied so much on visual storytelling. Even Fantasia and Allegro Non Troppo were collections of musical sequences not narrative features. In a way, this film is almost too sophisticated in its display and execution for little kids but is just right for adults. Remarkably, this is a tale with nary a spoken word by the principals. One has to think of silent films to approach this achievement. The operative word here is pathos like the best of Charlie Chaplin's little tramp and, amazingly, this film earns its stripes by emoting body language, action, and sound effects. Yet most of the characters aren't even human!

Fred Willard has an amusing small role as the corporate president. Sigourney Weaver, as the ship's computer voice, is an inspired choice since, like Eve, she was a female hero (in the Alien movies) and had to deal with computer voices in those films. The animation is almost 3-D in its rich detail and simulated, fluid camera-work. The interior of the mother ship, the Axiom, is a futuristic view of a commercialized (think Blade Runner) city in space.

Yes, it is a thinly veiled message for all those 'save the earth' and 'think green' people, but that never detracts from the main theme of saving humanity amid a touching love story. There are moments when you think a scene could have played out a bit better, but that is minor. It is likely that Wall-E's reputation will grow over time as a shining example of stretching the art form by challenging and trusting its audience. Bravo to the folks at Pixar for taking a chance and for entertaining and moving us.
  • Jason (likeminded)23 June 2008
    The People At PIXAR are geniuses....
    Just got back from a special sneak peek/advance screening of this movie, and I must say, Pixar continues to amaze. They just can't seem to make a bad move. Heck, they can't even make a mediocre movie. Now, I will admit, there have been a couple that I would classify as my "least favorite" of theirs, but even they were actually very, very good. This one, though...it just may take the cake. Ranks up there with the absolute best they have produced. Hysterical, emotional, meaningful -- this movie succeeds on every front! I am not going to get into spoilers or specific plot aspects, but I will say that I am almost definitely going to see this one again in the theater..and it will be worth every dime. Come Friday, be in line to see Wall-E. You don't want to miss it!
  • Movie Pundit20 June 2008
    Awesome new Pixar feature on its way to amaze yet again
    I just saw the screener in the theater and was amazed. I am the kind of person that has never liked science fiction movies. I have tried all the famous movies in this genre, like Star Wars, The Matrix and A Space Odyssey and hated all of them. Next to me in the theater were a couple of Sci-fi-lovers and they loved Wall-E beyond belief. I did too, however. Wall-E is: A) A great story B) Packed with fun and humor C) Built up with memorable characters D) Fun for all ages E) Revolutionary in animation techniques

The world Pixar creates is so credible, you forget it is animation. Thumbs up for Wall-E as well, he is such a cute and adorable character, you will fall in love with him immediately. I loved EVE as well.
  • Bumblebee_Man20 July 2008
    WALL-E: A Wonderful Achievement
    When it comes to animated films, Pixar are masters of the craft. Ever since their feature film debut, the magnificent 'Toy Story', the animation studio have brought us such instant classics as 'Monsters Inc.', 'The Incredibles' and 'Finding Nemo', a film which remains as one of the biggest selling DVDs of all time. Surely it's about time that they delivered us a bad film? Well, sorry to disappoint, but Pixar's 'WALL-E' is among not only their greatest work, but among the greatest animations ever produced.

The film opens with some astonishing shots of a desolate, rubbish-laden, polluted Earth; a boldly dark opening for a family oriented feature. It is amidst these dystopian surroundings, however, that our hero - arguably more adorable than a basket full of puppies and kittens - is first introduced to us. WALL-E is a character of genius; combining elements of Johnny 5, Charlie Chaplin and Mr. Bean, Andrew Stanton (Director) and crew have created something that will no doubt go down in history with R2-D2 as one as the screen's most memorable machines.

It is the 22nd Century, and mankind have left Earth in giant Space Cruisers waiting for the surface of their planet to finally become habitable again. 700 years have past, and WALL-E (Waste Allocation Load Lifter Earth-Class), is the last of a group of robots left to clean up the planet. In a disturbing sequence, our hero ventures home through trash heaps laden with 'dead' WALL-E's... another sign that this is not the usually Pixar fare, but something more meaningful, more bold, more... adult in theme. And this is what the first act of the film is. WALL-E, accompanied by his pet cockroach (who, as a testament to Pixar's genius, we grow to care for just as much as the metal man himself), goes about his daily routine. It is in this mostly silent section of the film that we grow to love WALL-E. As he rumages through human garbage, finding interest in things that seem mundane to us, we discover that after all these years, this little robot has developed something that makes him seem more to us than an animated clunk of cogs and rust... a personality. His incredibly curious nature make for some of the most adorable moments depicted in film (including moments such as WALL-E meets car keys and WALL-E meets... bra). We delve further into this intriguing personality when we invited into the little guy's 'house', a storage space for all his collected junk. Whilst WALL-E watches a VCR of the musical 'Hello, Dolly!", we see from his large, emotional eyes and clasping hands that he is, heartbreakingly, all alone on this immense world.

Then, the following day, as WALL-E goes about his trash-cube-making business, something extraordinary, both to us and WALL-E, occurs. A space ship touches down on the surface, holding within it EVE, a futuristic, Ipod-resembling droid here to scout the earth for plant-life... and WALL-E's one true love (aww).

This love story eventually leaps from Earth into space and onto The Axiom, an immense Space Ship on which a large number of the American population - depicted as lazy, obese, consumerist slobs - go about the same mundane routine day in, day out. Message heavy, but never preachy. In the end, through WALL-E, everyone learns the true meanings of life: Love and the relationships with those around us. Oh, and to take care of the planet, of course.

Beautiful visuals, astonishing characterisation and a sequence with WALL-E and EVE floating through space that is more romantic than anything your likely to see this year, make 'WALL-E' an outstanding achievement that proudly stands among Pixar's finest work. WALL-E is a completely realised character, and one which I am sure we have not seen the last of. Although, some would argue, not as accessible as other films in the genre (some children may grow resteless during the film's earlier, dialogue-free sequences), 'WALL-E' will leave a lasting impression on cinema goers of all ages.

And that is the genius of Pixar. The only studio ever to create films that are, truly, 'for all the family'.

-Dan Henry, 20th July 2008
  • michael1139126 June 2008
    WALL-E is one of the most cutest, lovable characters Pixar ever invented!!
    Not only it's Pixar's best film of all-time but it's the best movie of this year and one of the greatest imaginative, visually, moving & excellent animated films in years and surprisingly, one of the best sci-fi movies since E.T.!! Coming with high expectations, it definitely succeeded mines. It's so beautiful, moving, hilarious & sad at the same time. And for those who has been anticipating Thomas Newman's score for WALL-E, it's certainly one of his best right behind Finding Nemo in which I thought was his best score to date! Like I said it's Pixar best film so far, WALL-E knocked off Ratatouille of the top spot in which I thought it was their best film to date and officially, WALL-E is the best Pixar film i've ever seen with Ratatouille right behind and Finding Nemo, third. Pixar fan or non-Pixar fan, you'll definitely enjoy this one. WALL-E will forever be remembered as one of the most lovable characters ever created on film!!!
  • jaredmobarak25 June 2008
    Define dancing…Wall-E
    Robots falling in love. There is a lot to like about the new Pixar film Wall-E. The animation goes without saying—better than anything out there. The glares, the environments, everything is rendered spectacularly, right down to the flame of a Zippo lighter. As for the story, leave it to these wizards for creating a tale that hits on a gut level, letting our simplest emotions come to the surface in order speak to our hearts and souls. With fewer words than Arnold Swartzenegger had to speak in Terminator 2, this movie relies on its visuals and on the movements and actions of the characters. It is appropriate that we are shown clips from older musicals to show humanity before Earth was abandoned. If we harken back to them for the joys of people, why not go to silent era style in order to portray communication between beings that cannot speak? Wall-E, his crush EVE, and all the other robots involved can say little than their name, however, we understand exactly what they mean throughout. The entire film speaks on a level that most people might have forgotten. In an age of Hollywood spoon-feeding the masses by having actors preach the obvious, Pixar has shown their originality again by getting an audience to partake in a film that makes them pay attention and work a little; something that the message of the piece is trying to have come across for humanity in general.

I credit the filmmakers for showcasing a world that has been left unlivable due to pollution and excess, yet never stooping to the level of liberal propaganda to soapbox an environmental agenda. No, the idea of "going green" or "stop global warming" never comes out blatantly, but instead we are shown the message of how technology is making us gluttons and sloths, reliant for everything and unable to even see what is going on right in front of our faces. Humanity, drifting on a space station for 700 years being waited on hand and foot, has become a giant mass of inactive waste. Watching their awakening at the hands of a little waste removal machine, seeing love, life, and beauty as if for the first time ever is a wonderful thing. Sure the homage to 2001: A Space Odyssey is fantastic, but these moments work on another level altogether—that of truth. Consumer culture and materialism has destroyed our society to the point that social status depends on the car you drive and the trinkets you can collect rather than the job you do and the work you put in. To see the Captain of the vessel, housing what has become of the human race, slowly open his eyes to what could be is mind-blowingly simple, yet also so necessary for children these days to see what burying their heads in the computer and cell phone is doing to the societal structure of the world. We need to stop being lemmings, droning along without purpose. There is a reason for life, things to strive for and love is one of them, something very prevalent here.

The robots themselves become more human than the humans, showing the emotion and compassion that people have left by the wayside. Curiosity takes center stage as Wall-E finds treasures amongst the trash he has been programmed to clean up for a return of life to Earth. Stacking his compacted boxes of refuse into skyscrapers taller than those left behind, he finds shelter in an abandoned tractor where he keeps spare parts and objects to play with during his solitude. Never expecting a visitor, or the impact that finding a small sapling of greenery could cause, a sophisticated robot named EVE arrives and changes his world forever. Not only does she become the woman of his dreams, but she also causes him to leave Earth and discover the spaceship, which has been trying to find his home for way too long.

Maybe it is funny to say, but the chemistry between these two machines is quite palpable and real, as they discover feelings that they shouldn't have due to programming and such, but they have evolved into sentient creatures. They fight for freedom against the spaceship's auto-pilot and take a stand to end the tyranny that has been subtly and effectively beating the humans into submission. Of course they may not be doing it for the humans per se, there is a matter of needing to go back for spare parts, but you'll understand once you see. Sure the Captain does his part to see the hero that Wall-E becomes to his stagnant race and being voiced by the hilarious Jeff Garlin definitely helps. When he starts viewing the history of Earth and just exudes wonderment and joy, you really enjoy the ride as he attempts to reverse his sloth and actually stand on his two legs for possibly the first time ever.

Where I do have a problem with the film is the pacing. Yes, I know there is very little dialogue—and I whole-heartedly praise the film for it—but the beginning does have a tendency to drag. Maybe some of that has to do with it being an extended version of the trailer, but it just gets a little tedious as we wait for EVE to arrive and end the cute monotony of Wall-E playing with his finds in ways they aren't supposed to be used for, we've seen it before in The Little Mermaid. Even once they are on the ship, the cat and mouse game gets a little prolonged to pad the runtime a bit. The story here isn't very complex and I just wish there had been more to it, or at least a bit faster paced of a plot progression. Otherwise, though, this is another solid film from Pixar, showing that they definitely have the creativity and storytelling ability to infuse heart back into cinema and try new things rather than regurgitate for a big paycheck.
  • WikusVanDeMerwe28 June 2008
    Rediscovering our Humanity: A Wall-E Review
    We live in a consumerist era. As any visit to a metropolitan area will prove, there is the unfaltering marriage of burgeoning commerce to a burgeoning population. Retail giants now provide services that would take more than a handful of independent stores to supply and this umbrella is continually widening. But how far can this consumerism go before it consumes us? This is where Wall-E begins, setting up the most scathing, yet perhaps most accurate futurist take on consumerism's affect on society in any animated film I've seen to date. In fact, I can't recall any film in the last several years that has taken this approach so seriously. Andrew Stanton once again throws us straight into a darkly themed film, but once again there are serious points to be had. At the outset of the film, we are introduced to a world where the skyscrapers that once housed the internal workings of business are dwarfed and surrounded by skyscrapers built of that very business' refuse. WALL-E spends his days continuously collecting and compacting the mountains of garbage that fill the streets of the city and adding it the trash skyscrapers, piece by piece. We learn very early on that this is the last functional bot of its kind, and perhaps, the only living machine on the planet. But there is something special about this surviving Wall-E; this robot performs its programmed tasks, but it has also become a curious being, collecting and organizing interesting items seen day by day. Wall-E is, essentially, the last bit of humanity left on Earth, since every other human being is either dead or living aboard the space cruise liner, the Axiom.

But things change once EVE arrives on Earth. In true fashion with his curious nature, the sight of EVE is enthralling to Wall-E. Here is something new from humanity, not just the garbage and trinkets left behind for Wall-E to sift through and compact. What begins here is the most innocent yet basic of love stories I have seen or read in many years. There is a purity to Wall-E's almost hypnotic and naive interest in EVE. I don't mean this in any religious terms, but rather in the vein that neither robot has prior knowledge of love or adoration, apart from Wall-E's surviving betamax tape of Hello Dolly! as his primary source of inspiration. Everything else is rooted in simple curiosity, but it is amazing how far just that can develop one's character.

Wall-E interacts with everything he finds in a very primal manner (the source of that curiosity), slowly learning about the things he finds by essentially playing with them until something happens. EVE is the dedicated but markedly emotional counterpart to Wall-E's primal self. She performs her tasks at the expense of taking notice of Wall-E. By the time she finally catches on to Wall-E's affection, the programmed side of herself sets off their exciting journey into space.

Once things set into full-swing, this film does not let go of you. EVE and Wall-E are quite a dynamic duo, although not the romantic pair envisioned in Wall-E's mind for most of the film. I won't go into any further analysis here, lest I spoil the fun for anyone wishing to go see it. But I must say that the fact that we see two robots, two human creations, act as the primary humanizing force is entirely effective and what makes me love this film so much. The overall message of the film emerges from the dark outset and even darker conclusion... The ending credits are a must-view for anyone who sees the film. There is a very emotional sequence of progressions that twice put me to tears for its poignancy and in light of the beginning of the film. The way this movie ends is the same way it begins: at the core it's all about WALL-E and the things we recognize in him as inherently human: his funny personality, his compulsion toward the good, his child-like curiosity and naivety, his sense of loneliness that he tries (and fails) at anesthetizing with psychological comforts and companion place-holders.

On other notes, the soundtrack is Newman's definitive work in cinema. I didn't think I would say this anytime post Finding Nemo, but it really is true. EVERY bit of music supports the film's imagery and tone while also helping shape it note by note. There is not a wasted note in this film.

Also, the visual imagery is utterly beautiful and affecting. Skyscrapers of compacted garbage, the collections in Wall-E's trailer, the outer heavens, the POV's of EVE and Wall-E... All are fantastic. The cinematography is also top-notch. They might have used the back to foreground focus a bit much, but just the fact that they had Roger Deakins consult on their almost perfected simulation cinematography as well as Stanton's directorial 'mindprint' of the film speaks volumes for the studio. It is all found and spoken for in the final print.

The thing about this movie is that is able to speak so much without much dialogue. Stanton has obviously learned a great deal in how to use the visual image as powerfully as possible.

Verdict: Pixar gets another 10/10. They make films that speak to me in ways no other animation studio ever pulls off. The message may always be positive, but that doesn't mean the trials of Pixar characters are ever just plain and simple affairs. Stanton produced something very very special and endearing here. While the paint may be of a love story and two curious robots, he has captured nothing short of the core of our positive human nature in two inanimate objects. This is a meaningful and important film. How far can we let our lives be simplified before our own creations become more human than ourselves?
  • comixdude31 July 2008
    More intelligent, heartfelt, thought provoking, and flat-out masterful than anything that's been released in years.
    I thought that Pixar was one of the greater animation studios of the new millennium; after seeing Wall-E, I'm convinced that Pixar is the greatest modern animation studio, and perhaps one of the most talented and treasured film companies period. Writer-Director Andrew Stanton has not only managed to create a technical marvel with Wall-E, pushing the boundaries of computer animation technology to the limits, but also a work of pure art that's more intelligent, heartfelt, thought provoking, and flat-out masterful than any movie in years.

The film start's off on a simultaneously sweet and sour note: The opening reveals the gorgeous backdrop of galaxies and stars, with music from the movie 'Hello-Dolly!' overlapping it all in a sugary visual treat. Not seconds later, the camera traverses space to slowly close in on the planet Earth which, 700 years in to the future, has gained a sickly green tint to it along with an orbital atmosphere of pure garbage. Further zooming reveals a desolated city (New York, maybe?) its buildings and bridges rotted way. The entire opening is very reminiscent of the recent I Am Legend, except much, much more ruined. It is however, technically beautiful; the images are so photo realistic that you're amazed that they've been generated by computer.

The only remnants of humanity are monstrous skyscrapers of compacted trash and billboards aplenty advertising the bright and colorful, yet somehow ominous company known as Buy n' Large, a thinly veiled Wal-Mart clone. And, of course, Wall-E itself.

Wall-E is far more than a mere 'it', however. Through hundreds of nuanced and heartfelt animation quirks, as well as the "voice" given by Ben Burtt, Star-Wars veteran and creator of another famed beeping robot named R2-D2, Wall-E has been imbued with enough life to fill three-dozen cheap summer kids flicks, all without ever saying more than two or three actual words.

Wall-E has been operating for centuries, long after his other Waste Allocation Load Lifter Earth-Class counterparts have shut down or broken apart, scouring the wastelands of earth and compacting the land's garbage in to neat little cubes.

It's a lonely job, with the little robot's only companion being a spunky little cockroach. Wall-E has over the years collected an impressive amount of junk with which he passes the time, including lighters, toys, spare parts, and an old VHS copy of Hello Dolly!, which is Wall-E's instructor in the ways of life, love, and keenly choreographed dance. Indeed, Wall-E gazes upon two lovers holding hands and the look in his binocular eyes is both heartbreaking and beautiful.

It all changes however, when a beautiful robot from the human colony in space arrives; her name is EVE. Despite here tendencies to blow up anything that moves, Wall-E is smitten at first sight, and EVE comes to eventually share those feelings. After taking note of a very unique possession of Wall-E's however, EVE reports back to the Earth ship Axiom and is whisked away back in to space. Wall-E, being as devoted as he is, follows her into the unknown, and it is there that the movie really gets going, with Wall-E and EVE taking part in an adventure with the fate of humanity itself in the balance. Characters like the Captain of the Axiom (voiced by Jeff Garlin) appearing to flesh out the film's plot, as well as a gaggle of amusing "rogue" robots that aide Wall-E and EVE in their quest.

As the movie develops, however, the leading characters' romance becomes the core of the movie, with Wall-E and EVE's love being one of the few genuinely lovely and convincing romances of recent cinema. The touching moments Wall-E shares with EVE in his workshop, as well as their first "kiss" preceding a marvelous dance through space highlight a relationship that tugs at the heartstrings and moistens the eyes far more than movies like Fool's Gold or What Happens in Vegas. The romance between the two leads is the very soul of the movie, and could not have been better executed.

The film is gorgeous to boot: With colors and images that dazzle and linger long after the film is over. Films like No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood, as beautiful as they are, seem to revel in the gloom of browns and blacks. Wall-E, on the other is vibrant and alive, turning even the beginning's post-apocalyptic wasteland in to a marvel.

The biggest surprise of Wall-E, however, would be its surprising amount of maturity. Wall-E deals with themes of pollution, rampant consumerism, societal complacency and obesity, media desensitization, and other themes that would frankly fly over a child's head. Kids will see a world full of people who are humorously fat and happy; older members of the audience, however, will see a society that tells of a future not centuries ahead of us but perhaps only decades. The overblown laziness and rampant consumerism is evident already today, and the notion of Wall-E's future being so similar is funny yes, but also a touch unnerving.

It is for this reason that I hold Wall-E in such high esteem: It is a heartfelt work of inarguable art that not only entertains but holds enough conscience and commentary to get even the most casual of moviegoer thinking about the future. It is beautiful and it is heartbreaking. It is funny and it is also a tad scary. It has two supposedly life-less robots teaching humanity the very meaning of being human, as well as learning the meaning of true love themselves. It made me laugh, it made me (almost) cry. It has the distinction of being Pixar's best movie, as wells as the hands down best movie of the year (so far); an almost perfect, if not completely perfect summer movie that kids and adults will almost assuredly love.

And it is also one of the greatest movies I have ever seen.
  • Paul Ryder23 June 2008
    By and Large, Pixar's Masterpiece
    Wall-E is the film Pixar has been working toward ever since Toy Story first tested the boundaries of computer animation. It is without a doubt the best Pixar film, if not the best computer animated feature ever made, and it ranks with the rest of Disney's classics.

The story is both timeless and timely. 700 years after Earth's citizens flew away from their dumpster-like planet, one robot, the dirty and old yet clever and plucky protagonist Wall-E, is still condensing the mountains of trash into nice little piles. He discovers many of the trappings of civilization, most notably an old VHS of "Hello Dolly!" which teaches him about true love.

His simple life is thrown into disarray by the arrival of another robot, Eve, sent from the humans' ship on a top secret mission. For Wall-E, it is love at first sight. But when Eve is whisked back to the spaceship, Wall-E stows away as well. Soon not only is Wall-E's courage tested, but also the humanity of all the citizens who have now become fat lazy blobs who live gliding along an easy chair.

To start, the film looks gorgeous. While that is something we have come to expect from computer animated films thanks to today's technology, yet again we truly see the wonders and mysteries of outer space. But the film is much more than beautiful: it is also hilarious. On one level it has many topical jokes concerning the humans on the ship. But on a higher plane the humor of the robots has the quality of silent comedy, particularly Charlie Chaplin's Modern Times (in fact, unlike most of today's very chatty animated films, there is very little dialogue). In addition, the visuals are accompanied by an excellent score by Thomas Newman (American Beauty). Songs from Hello, Dolly insterspersed in the movie also enhance the story. Finally the voices are skilfully done. The robots' sounds convey true character and emotion, and Jeff Garlingives a great performance as the main speaking role of the film, the ship's captain.

There is a lot more to say about this film. For one, it owes a huge debt to Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, from the musical selection to the look of the ship. The amount of plunder from Kubrick's genius would be pathetic if the film itself was not brilliant or innovative in its own right. Wall-E is an experience to be seen, to be heard, and to be felt. It is a story of timeless love and a cautionary tale of where we may be going as a species and as a planet. But above all it is a masterpiece of cinema, and a work of art you must see.
  • STI29 June 2008
    A beautiful love story...
    WALL-E is a robot left on Earth to clean it up while the human race waits in space. Despite being a robot, however, WALL-E has developed a consciousness - he is curious and innocent as a child. Of course, being what seems like the only operational robot left, he also longs for companionship (...someone besides his pet cockroach).

That's where EVE comes in, a robot probe sent from the humans in space to check whether or not Earth is again inhabitable. Once WALL-E sees EVE, he becomes smitten and will literally follower her anywhere on Earth... or even space.

One can empathize with WALL-E, as he has been alone for what seems like the greater part of 700 years, toiling away at work with nothing but the comforts of his makeshift home to give him some small pleasures and distractions in life (although his morning sluggishness is due to his depleted power, we can't help but relate with those mornings WALL-E finds hard to get out of bed). When he sees the sleek, powerful EVE, it's quite understandable that he is captivated by her.

EVE, on the other hand, is completely focused on work (her "directive"). While we can see her personality come through when she enjoys the freedom of flying around upon her arrival, she is determined to fulfill her mission.

The real love story starts to kick in here. The scenes of WALL-E trying to gain EVE's affection are both lovable and laughable. And when WALL-E brings EVE to his home to shelter the storm, he shows EVE all of the various things he collected, much like how a child would show another companion his playthings. EVE's sense of humor comes to light, and we start to see a connection between WALL-E and EVE.

Still, when WALL-E shows EVE a plant he picked up, she realizes that her mission is accomplished, so she then "hibernates" and beacons the spaceship to pick her up. WALL-E, though, doesn't realize what she has done when she shuts herself down - he is confused, and thinking that she's solar-powered like himself, he brings her outside to the sunlight. His concern and care for her in the rainstorms shine through, and he also dresses her up in lights when he shows her the beautiful sunset she can't see.

When the spaceship picks up EVE, WALL-E follows suit, wanting to protect her but still not realizing what is going on. Once they dock on the AXIOM ship, WALL-E gets into more trouble, being a fish out of water.

EVE initially looks down on WALL-E - he's, of course, an older model who's job is just a trash compactor. Her attitudes can be seen on Earth where she initially ignores his attempts to gain her attention. Her desire to protect WALL-E arises not from love but more from a sense of noblesse oblige - even though WALL-E would follow EVE anywhere, she tries to make WALL-E understand that he has to go back to Earth alone, echoing WALL-E's interaction with his ever-present pet cockroach back on Earth.

When WALL-E is locked in a space capsule that is set to explode, EVE again tries to save WALL-E. Luckily, he was able to get out of the situation himself, and they meet in space. WALL-E used what he learned of a fire extinguisher on Earth (a hilarious scene) to propel him - here, we see EVE and WALL-E as equals in a beautiful dance of flight around the spaceship.

More and more, we see EVE start to care deeply for EVE, and it's not only because he's cute and funny but also because he is unselfish and caring. When the captain asks EVE to show recordings of her time on Earth in order to see the state the planet is in, the recording is left on, and EVE then sees the care WALL-E has taken of her during her hibernation. Also, WALL-E risks his life to protect the plant, not because he cares so much the plant but because he knows how much fulfilling her directive means to EVE. He would do anything for EVE, and, in turn, EVE starts to develop the same feelings towards WALL-E.

The two endure various calamity to help the spaceship return to Earth, but WALL-E becomes a casualty in the process. EVE finds replacement parts and fixes WALL-E, but he is not the same - he is only focused on his work, a reversal of roles from the beginning of the film. However, EVE holds WALL-E's hands and "kisses" him with a spark, and his memory awakens.

...

It's just amazing to me how all of this is conveyed in the storytelling. The characters' expressions and actions are limited to their eyes and gestures of their hands, yet that seems to be more than enough for the artists of the film to express the character's emotions in a visual manner. Each robot can't but say each other's names, yet their bond comes through without any dialogue - in fact, just the tone of their voice when calling each other's names gives all of the information about their intent or feelings at that moment.

In any love story, it's not a trivial task to express both sides - oftentimes, unrequited love 'magically' becomes true love after a single event, when the object of the affection suddenly has their eyes opened. On the other hand, WALL-E provides the viewer with a believable love story where both characters come alive and whisk you away in their universe. It's nothing short of extraordinary.

...

Of course, to say that "WALL-E" is a perfect love story is a miscategorization, as it offers a perfect blend of comedy, action, and suspense, along with so many other interwoven messages and jewels - it's just a perfect story, period.
  • isabelle195529 June 2008
    Pure Genius
    I very rarely give ten out of ten to a movie, but I have no hesitation in giving that perfect score to WALL-E. It is sublime. Not just the best animation I've seen in a long time, but simply one of the best movies I've seen in many months in terms of coherent and effective story-telling and seamless editing. It's extremely well put together. The animation is in a class of its own. My only slightly negative comment might be that clearly this isn't a movie aimed at little kids, and perhaps the marketing strategy is showing too much of the 'cute funnies' and not enough of the sheer artistry of Pixar's vision. This is not a bright, sunny view of the world where everyone lives happily ever after, but quite clearly a message movie; if you agree with the message, you will love this film.

Disney may own Pixar these days, but there is an artistic divide between the two production styles. If you want predictable sentimentality watch Disney. I loved Disney's older classics but some of their later offerings – with the exception of Beauty and the Beast which was very good - made me wince when I took my kids along. But in contrast I have loved every single film that Pixar have made since Toy Story in 1995, and if you want something more wry, but still possessing humour and heart, then Pixar is probably going to be your choice.

The story is simple enough. It's the year 2700 and the earth has become uninhabitable, not through some terrible cataclysmic event, but by a slow accumulation of suffocating junk. It's a wasteland devoid of living things. As the opening shots pan in, we see that the skyscrapers are actually tall mounds of compressed trash, and that the compressing is being done by WALL-E (Waste Allocation Load Lifter – Earth class), a small, solitary robot which keeps itself going by scavenging parts from all his clapped out siblings. WALL-E's only companion is a cockroach, and he fills in the time in his trailer home during long dust storms by watching an old video of Hello Dolly. WALL-E is an unlikely hero, rusty but trusty. I hesitate to use the word cute, endearing works better. One day he finds a single plant growing. He doesn't appreciate its significance but takes it home anyway where he squirrels it away with his other treasures such as a Rubic's Cube, a lighter and a trash can lid.

Then a space ship lands and EVE emerges (Extraterrestrial Vegetation Evaluator). Eve is in a whole different class to WALL-E. She can fly, he is earth bound, she is sleek, dangerous and single minded while he is bumbling and rather dowdy. They communicate with beeps and eye twitches, and WALL-E is hooked. When WALL-E gives EVE the plant he has found, she recognizes that her directive – to find evidence of photosynthesis on earth – is fulfilled and shuts down. The ship comes back to pick her up and WALL-E clings on, desperate not to lose her. Arriving at the mother ship, we find the last remaining humans (apparently all American!) who have fled the earth at the behest of the CEO of Buy N Large, a conglomerate who ended up running everything. The humans are pretty much big, obese babies, who have lost the use of their legs and are spoon fed artificial food and platitudinous slogans in equal measure. The rest of the movie involves a plot by the auto pilot to take over the ship and keep it on course away from earth, while the captain tries to take it home, aided by WALL-E and an entertaining array of quirky malfunctioning robots let loose from the repair bay.

Some of the best moments are to be found in WALL-E's interaction with everyday objects; a fire extinguisher for example, enables him to zip around in space in a balletic dance with EVE, he uses a lid as a hat to imitate the dancers he sees on his video screen. The humans are not presented as wicked or evil, just unthinking, and the movie ends on a positive and upbeat note, when they recover the use of their legs and return to earth to reclaim it as their home. There are nods to many classic sci-fi movies, Pixar's ubiquitous pizza truck is there near the beginning, and they are not beyond a little self criticism; there's a discarded iPod among WALL-E's accumulated junk.

I found myself caring far more about the animated characters in WALL-E than the supposedly human ones in many 'regular' movies. Director Andrew Stanton and everyone at Pixar deserve huge credit for this movie and I hope it is an enormous financial hit for them. I also hope it gets an Oscar nomination, not for best animated feature, but for best film.
  • benjm7 July 2008
    Not 100% Perfect, But One of The Best Films I Have Ever Seen
    I join the gushing majority and say this is one amazingly done, very touching and important film.

1. A Masterpiece of Computer Graphics & Story Telling

When computers were still in training pants 25 years ago, I studied, worked with and taught computer graphics. I've often watched an animated film (or live film with injected animation) with knowing appreciation at some use of or advance in computer graphics technology.

I have a friend who had been involved managing computer graphics projects for some of the previous Star Wars movies. We have previously discussed the "state of the art" and where it's going. The surprise to me in this film wasn't that they could do graphics of this quality now. It was amazement at the scope, effort, skill and creative genius I know it takes to make something so beautiful and moving.

Watching the film, my feelings went from astonishment at the graphics to deep empathy and feeling for the main characters. The people around me gasped and say "wow" just the same. You don't need experience or friends like mine to tell you that nothing else has come this close to looking so real and gorgeous, to feel so visceral and well-crafted.

The use of modern live-action cinematic effects is stunning beyond words. The film's reliance on the intelligence of children and adults to understand the serious thoughts and complex emotions being conveyed, well, is just simply an amazing and reassuring experience. And I thought the closing credit art (using different styles of famous artists) was very cool too.

2. Some Small Nitpicks:

Most of the time I felt I was watching an exceptionally crafted film with a tight story and a serious message about the current problems of and future prospects for Earth. An then something would happen in the film that would be, like, "Huh? That doesn't quite make sense or follow, but it's just animation". I found 2-3 moments where I was shifted from sobering reality to forgivable fantasy, and it was a bit jarring and distracting But these moments can be easily forgotten with the continuation of the next amazing scene.

• It looks like the quality (time, money, computer horse-power)spent on the main characters is much more than what was spent on depicting the humans. Heck, even the garbage get's more realistic treatment than the people. And then there is the live video of Scott Willard as the "Executive in Chief" talking to the planet....The styles don't mesh well for me. I appreciate the thought-line that the humans look more cartoon because of the surreal and clueless nature of their existence on the ship, as well as our inept and greedy custodianship of the planet. I can imagine that the live video is meant to help connect children with the cartoon-nature of certain government officials and the patronizing policies they always on display these days on the evening news. Maybe this is all true, but it's probably also a way to rationalize a limited budget and time schedule. The bottom-line for me that the discrepancies between the treatments didn't work that well for me.

Most of the time the characters are so extremely cute and lovable, it's a complement to their creators. But sometimes the cultural cliché's and visual slapstick are a bit much. Overall, it all adds up to a very sweet and moving film, but just a little less "shtick" would have been fine by me.

Some thoughts on other reviews I've read here:

Is the Message Too Heavy-Handed? I don't think so. It's mainly aimed at small kids. They get it, and they take it to heart. Maybe the question should be "is the message loud enough?" We earthlings still don't seem to be getting the message. Last I checked, we were still busy polluting the air, water, soil and every life form on the planet...oh, and ruining our climate also. We are feeding our families and enjoying ourselves, but sorry we are each helping to destroy the planet along the way. "Oh well. It's not like I can make a difference". Let's just leave the problem for the kids. Good luck kids! Do you think mom and dad are making "good choices?"

It's a moment of truth for us. Are we up to it? Are we truly awake yet and smelling the rising levels of toxicity in our environment? Maybe the message was said softer people would get it more?

Regarding those people who have posted negatively, that they couldn't connect, and even thought of walking out...everyone is absolutely entitled to their opinion and to state it. But, gosh, If this film didn't make them gasp at beauty, smile warmly, laugh knowingly...if it didn't put a lump in your throat or make an eye or two teary, then...that's just sad, and even a bit scary.

If you haven't seen this film yet, run and see it on the big screen while you can. I think you will enjoy taking some kids. You will see them enthralled and fully-attuned to the message. It's a good thing.
  • Claudio Carvalho8 December 2008
    Wonderful Message
    In the Twentieth-Eighth Century, Earth is completely depleted and with the ecological system destroyed. The powerful corporation Buy N Large builds a huge spacecraft called Axiom and sends the entire civilization for a five-year cruise while trash collector robots called WALL-E (Waste Allocator Load Lifter – Earth) would clean the planet. However, the equipment fail and seven-hundred year later, only a single robot WALL-E is performing his duty. His only companion is a cockroach and his great entertainment is watching an old "Hello Dolly" videotape. When a spaceship lands on Earth out of the blue and leaves the probe Eve, WALL-E follows her and falls in love for Eve. After a hostile initial contact, the dangerous Eve gets close to WALL-E and he gives a small plant to her. Eve gets the plant and automatically sends a signal to the spaceship that returns and takes Eve back. However, the desperate WALL-E grabs on the hull and travels through the space chasing Eve until they reach Axiom and find a full automated facility crowded by lazy and fat human beings unable even of walking with their legs. The expectation of life on Earth brings hope to the Captain against the will and prime direction of the auto-pilot that organizes a mutiny on board.

"WALL-E" is one of the best animations I have ever seen, with adorable characters and a deep story, showing a possible scenario of the depletion of our planet caused by the lack of concern from the big corporations with the environment. In addition, there is the beautiful love story of WALL-E, the importance of small and forgotten things; a great nostalgia of the old times among many other message. The story is very well developed in spite of having very few dialogs. My vote is ten.

Title (Brazil): "WALL-E"
  • KissEnglishPasto2 August 2016
    Pixar Hits a Home Run with Wall-E...They Just Didn't Hit It Out of the Park!
    ..........................................................from Pasto,Colombia...Via: L.A. CA., CALI, COLOMBIA.....and ORLANDO, FL

Shame on me for ignoring my own rule of thumb and slurping up so many of the gushing reviews for Wall-E. My expectation was somewhere around Pluto, but this only managed to take me to Saturn. Normally, Saturn would warrant a rave review, but not when a film falls somewhat short of that ever-so-high bar you've set for it! Don't get me wrong. Pixar has hit a home run with Wall-E. They just did not hit one out of the park, as so many others would have you believe.

The movie really does work on just about every imaginable level. The Pixar animation team most certainly outdid themselves, taking CGI to an impressive and breathtakingly realistic new level for 2008. Wall-E is, at times thought-provoking, ironic, laugh-out-loud funny, poignant, entertaining, and perhaps, somewhat romantic. Yes, all of this with a highly original story line and offbeat musical accompaniment. Those elements which are borrowed from other movies are at least incorporated with a fresh twist.

Wall-E most definitely has its shortcomings: A little over the top at times in the "Gee, aren't we just the cutest on screen Bots you've ever seen?" Department. There are also a couple occasions where the substitution of dialog for assorted sound effects becomes a bit tedious.

Fortunately, the movie is very low key as regards the results of long term ravaging of the environment, not at all in-your-face as so often is the case with movies made in the recent years. Taken as a whole, though, Wall-E deserves between 8 and 8 1/2*. In any case, please, simply put aside the reviews and just watch Wall-E, hopefully, leaving your expectations behind. You'll probably have a very enjoyable and entertaining 90 minutes.

8* STARS*...ENJOY/DISFRUTELA!

Any comments, questions or observations, in English or Español, are most welcome!
  • Chiyonosake231 February 2010
    Pixar should rest now, they achieved perfection.
    Well I don't even know where to begin there is so much in this one.

Well maybe if i say i am usually cinical and disdainful towards love stories (at least those type of love stories you see nowadays...), and i usually see them only suitable for girls who wanna cry a few tissue full, and i prefer a Shakespeare-like ending, where every major character dies or loses something (sanity, beloved one etc) over an usual corny happy ending, and then i add, that i still LOVED this masterpiece so much i myself cried in the end, and i was cheering for Wall-E to remember to Eve, to get repaired and to see them "live happily ever after".

I was browsing on a video-sharing channel some day and i stumbled upon a video where a guy says the following about Wall-E: "I am a cinical bastard, but even that little piece of rotten, black glass i call my heart was warmed by this movie"

And i don't even get started on how delicate and clever the symbolism in this animation is. Or on how sarcastic, yet true all the scenes are, which ones are featuring the humans, who became more like a senseless pigs tied to their chair in front of their computer.

The whole thing feels so gentle, so classy and uplifting i cant even tell. If humanity will extincts one day and some other intelligent species will find the ruins of our culture i want them to find this movie, and remember us as gentle, warm-hearted, intelligent beings, which we weren't most of the time.

And i am not exaggerating. This was really truly this good. At least for me. Sayonara
  • ccthemovieman-17 December 2008
    Absolutely Stunning B-D Visuals & Audio
    Boy, the visuals were as stunning as I had read they were; absolutely spectacular. I hate to use this cliché, but this is a "must" for Blu-Ray fans. You have to see - and hear - this film in HD because it is a great treat for your senses. The surround sounds are everywhere while the colors and artwork are something to behold! And, yes - it's still very pretty on a regular DVD, too.

The story is "cute," but nowhere near the visuals and audio. It's okay, subtlety humorous, dramatic and romantic parts. It gets a tiny bit preachy with the usual environmental digs and a comment about how fat we humans can get by lying around too much, but otherwise just plays it for comedy and cool-looking characters. Everyone and everything in this film is pretty amazing-looking.

It's kind of a strange story, with much of it taking place on a big space ship. My favorite parts were in the beginning on Earth with the little robot WALL-E and his cockroach friend.

There is so much to see in this film, it makes multiple viewings all the more attractive but, I'll assume, you're always going to catch some things you didn't see the first few times. Overall, not a super story but yet an amazing film, one that is one you want to show off your Blu-Ray DVD player to friends. This sets yet another new standard in animation.
  • tedg2 July 2008
    The Certainty of Seeing
    You can read elsewhere the ordinary stuff — about how wonderful this is; about how it exploits cinematic characterization, and even how conservative bloggers have decided to criticize it supposedly leftist premise. (Jees)

I did enjoy it. Its an amazing experience. But while watching it, I also was admiring the minds behind it.

There are sometimes intelligent movies being made, and a surprising number of them are from Hollywood. I believe though that in most cases, it is because there is a critical mass of intelligent writers, filmmakers and decisionmakers that are working at the fringe of the establishment. Not so with Pixar. I've been constantly surprised at each project how they encapsulate essays in the advance of the cinematic vocabulary.

Its a bit like French new wave films made by film theorists, the films being more about what can be done than doing it in the service of effect that matters. (Their retort would be that it DOES matter if it changes the vehicle.)

But this Pixar business is a different model. Folks can come and be entertained without having to dip into vats of self-reference. Oh, there's plenty of superficial self-reference, but its all in the service of jokes, and they are all in the service of the narrative.

But other folks — like me and perhaps you — can also see that they are doing a few things that no one else is in quite the same advanced way, and they mark them so that you can read it as a sort of metanarrative. Jobs does the same thing with Apple. They make products that people use and like. But they also are in the business of defining what it is to be cool. They manufacture cool like they manufacture electronic products. You get both, and even in the products there's a reference to leadership, because being cool is all in who defines cool.

So when I saw this, I saw self-conscious art, and stories about the future of cinema. We've always gotten that with Pixar. Usually, it has to do with space, and what you can do with this new medium that is impossible with "real" cameras and places.

This last movie, "Ratatouie" added in the notion of control. Pulling the strings. I'm sure many have noticed that the shorts that Pixar creates to play before these features are a sort of synopsis of the reflective ideas they will use in the film. Last time the short and film were about control at a distance, with both the puppetmaster and puppet being featured, but the star was the puppetmaster. You can almost see how the whole story could have been generated by this idea: chef, French (who claim to have invented folded cinema of the reflexive kind), and rat. Secret recipes. Love always.

This time around, the cinematic sensibilities are profoundly deeper. A deep certainty. You have to know about 2001 as a start. Kubric's interest there was the warring narrator. Whose world is telling the story, man, machine or god. There is a story, but it hardly matters. Its all about who is telling the story, whose chair you sit in as the viewer. Its a masterful work.

Here, its bent only a little: mankind, machine and nature, but its folded back on the story — which here has effect. Wall-e is natural, machine in form, but more human than the humans we see. But watch how they fold it again. Its a movie about the truth in movies, how the power of cinema can reach into the real world. A handholding there and here is a handhold between the worlds.

And also watch how they built movies in. This isn't accidental. When they put a movie within a movie like this, the intent is to have the watcher of the outer movie join the world of the watcher of the inner movie. Its a reliable trick to get us to invest in what we see. But they go further. When we see the humans — who are supposed to be like us but clearly aren't — we note that THEY are hypnotized by the movies in front of them and cannot see the larger world beyond, and we can.

It happens to also spill over into the great narrative about how some of us can see that the planet is being destroyed and other blithely putter on. That business about saving image- laden artifacts as a memory storehouse... All these layers — yes they are engineered by what is now the most intelligent and adventuresome narrative engineering lab in a studio.

All this extra introspection is used not as dry thesis, but in the service of the love story. It made it deeper, and more true. Knowing makes love true. So yes, it is effective, and fun, and deep.To compensate, the camera and space manipulation is less radical than usual.

Ted's Evaluation -- 3 of 3: Worth watching.