User Reviews (423)

• I'm totally surprised by the amount of negative comments made about Chuck. though at the same time the good comments are very good.

I half wonder if the negative comments comments are because people are watching it in the mode of "This is comedy why aren't I laughing every single second".

I agree the show isn't laugh-a-minute. However I think it far more than that. I once heard this show described as "joyous" and I think that is a perfect description. This is a show that should produce joy rather than laughter. Laughter is reflexive and ephemeral while joy is more lasting and requires sympathy for the characters.

I enjoy the show because I love the characters. They may seem to be clichés but the are all archetypes in new contexts. We not only have meek nerds in dangerous situation but train killers in mundane situations.

I love watching these characters trying to adjust to these environments that are alien to them.

The other thing I like is that there is forward movement in nearly every episode especially in season 2. I'm so sick of shows that are stand alone bad-guy-of-the-week. Chuck has a clear story arch. It is a very plot driven show and secondarily a character driven show. The script is a formality much like Star Wars.

Really it is a classic story about man who is being forced to be the man he is meant to be. Chuck has the potential to be a hero but years as a lowly computer store clerk have obliterated his self confidence.

On the flip side it is the story of a girl who has been running around saving the world and just wants a normal life.

I guess if you don't have sympathy for the character you will never understand what is great about this show. It is FAR more than a bunch of spy clichés.

Another thing I love is the chemistry between Chuck and Sarah. It is more than just sexual tension the to characters are actually in love. This makes things a bit different to the usual sexual tension theme where the boy is trying to get the girl to like him. We know they like each other from the start. It is merely the circumstance that keeps them apart. This raises the stakes of the story arch of chuck trying to get the intersect out of his head.

In summary I believe you enjoy it more if you don't think of it as a purely as a comedy but as journey for the main characters.
  • Bring Back Chuck Thats It Plain And Simple They Dont Make Good Shows Like This Anymore!!!!! #BringBackChuck

#BringBackChuck #BringBackChuck #BringBackChuck #BringBackChuck #BringBackChuck #BringBackChuck #BringBackChuck #BringBackChuck #BringBackChuck #BringBackChuck #BringBackChuck #BringBackChuck #BringBackChuck #BringBackChuck #BringBackChuck #BringBackChuck #BringBackChuck #BringBackChuck #BringBackChuck #BringBackChuck
  • Chuck is one of my favourite shows so far.

The action is very good.

Comedy is excellent, not too overacted.

Yvonne Strahovsky is the sexiest agent on TV by far.

All the episodes are very much different, so you don't get bored.

It looks like all is in place for a hell of a show.

I hope NBC does not let it die.

By the way, i'm non-American Spanish-speaker, and i still love the show, not like others that are very much "american humor", like 30 rock which i can not stand a minute (this is just an example), so i'm confident it would be loved from people all over the world.
  • ArrrMadeus28 January 2012
    Okay, for starters. Chuck has always been one of those shows that no matter where you pop in to it, it will be an exciting television show. Chuck offers a lot of fun, it offers you comedy, drama, and there are a lot of touching moments throughout the show. I, as a male, can honestly say that the Finale has made me cry like a baby. I have loved this show since the beginning of its airing, and there is nothing I want more than this show to continue. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to be continued; but they may make a movie about it. If none of you have watched Chuck, or gave up on it, I suggest you continue, (or start), watching the show. It's a touching show, it's by far number one in the top ten most amazing shows, it HAS to be. When you watch the Series finale, you'll be tearing up.
  • I would like to explain to you what makes this show worth watching.

There are 3 main reasons.

1. The plot: to sum it up in one word "amazing" How the creators came up with this idea ill never know but it is great, a totally unique and might I add awesome idea for a TV show, The mix of the drama and the comedy in the show is just stunning major kudos to the writers

2. The characters: Every single character on this show is great. whether Im watching Casey lay out some serious fighting skills, or watching Captain Awesome be...well, awesome it always has my attention

3. The relationship between Chuck and Sarah: Last but definitely not least the element that most makes the show worth watching. Their chemistry rivals that of another great TV couple *cough* J.D and Elliot *cough*. They play off of each other so well that it makes me really believe that Yvonne Strahovski really is a super sexy C.I.A agent and Zachary Levi is just some "nerd" that happened to land the hottest women on the face of the planet in the most bizarre sort of way. I love Chuck and Sarah.

So to answer my question, Yes this really is the greatest show currently on television, I haven't been this obsessed with a show since I first set eyes on Scrubs. If you have not seen this show or you've seen a little and are skeptical about it, Just watch it you will not be disappointed.
  • A lot of people who watch Chuck forget that they are watching a action/comedy. The people who think that its supposed to be solely comedy will be disappointed because they think they're supposed to be laughing the whole time. These people aren't the fans....

People who get offended by its portrayal of its action/sci-fi side are offended because it doesn't thrill them like most shows like Dexter or Supernatural do. Its not supposed to do that either. These people aren't the fans....

People who are able to see the key factor of this show.... the simple care-free enjoyment that puts a smile on your face when they watch chuck. Who can see behind the unrealistic plot and cliché characters to the amazing morals and ethics that only this type of show can have. People who can just sit back and indulge in the charming epicness of Chuck. These people ARE the fans!

And i am one of them.

If you are a rationalist, don't watch......ever.

But if you have an open-mind and have even a hint of empathy then this is the show for YOU
  • I think this is the only TV show that had me hooked after just the first episode...I've watched a lot of TV shows and i would have to say that this is definitely the funniest of them...everyone has a different sense of humor..the previous post mentioned that this show wasn't funny...shocking to me..but oh well..people are different...humor aside, it's action packed and has it's serious moments (well serious until chuck arrives on the scene)...the fact that he doesn't mean to be funny makes it even funnier(if that makes any sense)...there's also some love triangle stuffs which in fact is one of the main things that makes you wanna keep watching(well.. me anyway)..I really do recommend watching this series(not one a week..just get the DVD and watch one episode after the other..makes it more enjoyable)..
    Chuck is unique. It is real. With the corny acting, the monotonous or bizarre plots, and the horrible story lines have claimed the life of too many of today's television shows, Chuck offers a refreshing plot, real emotion, and real problems. The ingenious plot uniquely blends action and drama with comedy and romance. The importance of the intersect on Chuck's life and how it changes him makes us look at our own lives and makes us wonder what it is that we want to get out of our lives. Adding to that the incredibly passionate and emotional love story of Chuck and Sara and discovering the importance of family (the Bartowski's) and friends (Morgan, Casey, Buy More Gang), watching Chuck makes you realize what really matters in life and makes you feel like part of a family, Chuck's family.

As I write this, I realize the miniscule impact that this review has on determining the fate of Chuck. All I hope is that Warner Bros, own the rights to Chuck, will take a second and listen to the passionate fan base that has stood by Chuck for five years, through thick and thin. Chuck is more than a show. It's part of our family. If we lose Chuck, we lose part of our family. Sarah's not the only one who fell for Chuck. We all did and we will never stop.

Sign Petition To Continue Chuck: http://glorbi.com/bringbackchuck/index
  • Chuck is the most entertaining show on TV. It's shot well and the writing is smart and quick. The acting is superb from the extras to the main characters.The story is dramatic and visionary where the character dynamics can be turned on a dime. Love and romance, an agent searching for a good fight, an average guy tossed into the world of espionage; this show has it all.

You will laugh and cry, rejoice and be frustrated because of character depth and great acting. All the characters are lovable and relatable.

NBC has found a hero in Chuck, who as a typical guy, inspires us to be better. The creed of the show is to take care of your family and friends. Simply Chuck calls to do right even in tough times.

It's certainly a show that will keep you on your toes throughout. Without a doubt this is the best show I've ever seen.

At first I was skeptical but after two or three episodes I was hooked because its funny and exciting with a great story to it. I implore you to take a chance on Chuck, trust me its worth it. Regardless of anything else there is nothing else on TV like it.
  • kknott26 March 2009
    I have a DVR and rarely watch shows the day they are recorded, the exception to this, is Chuck.

The best thing about this show is it's uniqueness. Most other shows on TV right now are cast from a few different molds. You have Cop / CSI dramas, reality shows (which are really getting stale), medical drams, and situational comedies. The closest you can compare this show to is Get Smart crossed with Alias crossed with Moonlighting added to a great work place comedy. Depending on which episode you watch there will be differing levels of comedy, drama, action, and even romance.

The amazing acting ability of Zachary Levi and Yvonne Strahovski, is a pleasure to watch.
  • Out of all of the shows on television, I would have to say that without a doubt, Chuck is the best show. It has the Perfect blend of drama and comedy. It is one of those shows that only gets better with time and I am hoping, no no, I am praying that Chuck gets a third season. Each one of the actors/characters brings something special to the show that makes it a huge success. Zachary Levi is a hilarious actor and he and Yvonne Strahovski have amazing chemistry. Adam Baldwin is always there to keep the show in line and his quirky one lines are perfectly timed. I hope they are given the chance to prove to the world that they are worth it!
  • Thanks to Amazon Prime suggestions, It's easily on of my Top 5 favourites of all time. When you look for a show that has action comedy romance crime, This show tops the list. The first episode itself is like a an hour long blockbuster action movie. Few Reasons to watch Chuck. The love between Chuck & Sarah. The friendship between Morgan & Chuck. The way Chuck's sister Ellie takes care of everybody. Casey's Grunts and high octane action! And lastly Guest appearances, Stone cold, Batista,Linda hamilton and so many more... Here i am finishing watching the show for the second time. Words can't describe what this show means to me, It's just as good As The office and Friends. Let's fall in love, Let's watch, Chuck!
  • I can only say that I absolutely adore this show and that it is one of my all time favorites. Starting with the first minute I had a blast watching it.

This show is about Charles "Chuck" Bartowski, a regular nerd who receives an email from an old friend with a program in which all secrets from the government are saved and from this moment on his live changes forever.

First of all the characters are fantastic and I love them. Not only Chuck. Of course he is awesome, funny, nice and always good for a laugh. Then Sarah Walker, the most beautiful and nice CIA Agent you could ask for and I must admit, that I had a huge crush on her in the show. John Casey, my personal favorite from the show and the best NSA Hitman. And at last we have Morgan Grimes, who is also a big nerd and the best friend of Chuck. But still there are many more supporting roles which are just brilliant and they fit so perfectly into this show and the world they have created. All of them do their part in this story and deliver cool and funny plotlines. All of them are so amazing and they have such a chemistry together on screen and it is just wonderfull to see how they all grow emotionally during this show and how they evolve and how their relationships grow.

The plotlines are amazing. They are thrilling and you always have something to laugh because the humor is brilliant. And sometimes you even have something for the heart.

But why does it only get a 9/10? Simply, I didnt really liked the last season. They changed the direction of the show a little bit and tried something new and I must say it didnt really worked for me. It wasnt bad, by I had hoped for something different to come to a conclusion. And the ending. It is not bad, but bitter sweet and it is also something I really dont like that much because you are left with a strange feeling when this show ends and i didnt really got the ending I was hoping for. At least that was my experience. Maybe it will be different for you and you will like how they ended it. Nontheless, I can only really recommend to watch this show because it is brilliant, thrilling, emotional and always good for a laugh
  • Chuck is in my opinion, beyond any doubt, the funniest and the overall most entertaining American TV series on the air in 2008.

I do however not believe it is amongst the most "universal" in regards to what target audience it's ideally suited for. While not having any demographic numbers or survey results to refer to, I honestly believe it has a greater appeal to men than to women, although I do know both female and male fans of the series.

Chuck is basically an interesting and hilarious blend of comedy and action. It does not imitate other series, and does not have a boring and stereotypical concept that you feel that you've seen dozens of times before. It's really a breath of fresh air in the ever-growing jungle of TV series, of which few are worth spending time watching - in my humble opinion.

The main character, Chuck, is a geeky, modest, conscientious and somewhat shy person who is suddenly faced with many challenges in his daily life, trying to keep together the different parts of his life at the same time. His field of expertise is fixing computers. Viewers who are passionate about technology will probably be especially likely to "get" the humor of this show.

The very most brilliant achievement of this series is the unique chemistry between the characters. No one take themselves too serious, the actors deliver great performance and consistence in every episode, and the characters' spontaneous reactions are often enough to cause great laughter. The only "serious" character I can think of (who is rarely funny - undoubtedly by intention) is Chuck's sister - Ellie. She contributes greatly to the "balance" mentioned below, and is in that respect an important character.

Furhermore the series' perfect balance between gripping action scenes, risibility and self-irony is quite remarkable. It's both pleasant, fun and thrilling at the same time! I hope Chuck will continue to be such a success for a long time and that the creators continue to develop the concept so that it does not "grow old" fast. I look forward to its release on DVD in a greater variety of countries! Quickly summarized: A hilarious series, in my opinion the greatest American action comedy TV series ever!
  • I think a TV series should cause your feelings. If these feelings are many in quantity, frequent and intense  then what you watch is perfect.

This series made me feel Thrill.

I fell in love from the first episode.I laughed . I cried. Caught sometimes myself getting lost when  i was watching an episode, becoming part of  it, to giggle in front of the screen and feel the same emotions with their protagonists. This is a success...

When I started the series I thought that it is a relaxing comedy. I quickly realized that it is more. It has action. It has anguish. It has passion. Combines extremely comic scenes with extremely dramatic ones. The scenario is very smart, without gaps, without exaggeration. Perfectly staged. It surprises you always. You can not see what is coming next. Neither you can doubt it.

But the most important of all, what are not expecting, what are you not read on the description before start viewing the show is the following point: The romantic side of it. I fell in love. Really. It is the best romantic story that I have ever seen. I will miss it...
  • I was late to the Cruck party. But I'm glad I was, because it meant that I could binge this show without any commercial or season breaks. Chuck is the type of show you fall in love with especially if you love, action, spy and espionage, great supporting cast, and characters you just fall in love with no matter how hard you try not to like them. Chuck is one of those shows that you can't wait to watch all episodes but at the same time you're regretting finishing the series. It's one of those shows where you hate to see it end, but love the fact that you stuck with it. Yes, there were plot wholes or some unexplained situations, but most of all this show was a fun spy show. John Casey, you're up there with all the other action heroes.
  • From the unique premise of the show to the engaging characters to the one liners and references slipped into the script from some of my favorite movies, this show is nothing less than fantastic. I honestly think the people who don't like it must not have a sense of humor....
  • Really amazing show with great characters and funny moments
  • Action, comedy, love, drama, all in one show. One of the best TV Show. 9/10
  • Chuck had taken over Buffy as my favourite TV series. I'm only 12 years late watching it.

Season 2 is the high point, and regardless of the other seasons, which are still good, carries the entire series.

Never have I seen drama, comedy, action, emotion blended so well, and with such a brilliant choice of music. I know it became long in the tooth, but the continuous 'are they, are they not a couple' glances and dialog never got dull on me. First time round, their relationship carried the show and gave me so many laughs and cries and gut wrenching emotions.

Season 2 finale is just pure perfection.

Sadly, season 3 onwards takes the usual TV route of trying too hard to be darker and edgier with more continuous story arcs. But still managed to not quite tip the scales too far down the wrong path.

However, without any spoilers, the ending truly made me sick. 5 years of fun, laughter, happiness and deep seated knowledge that no matter what happens, the right things happen.

All the fans, who carried this show wanted an ending that this was not. One review I read summed it up by saying "they've taken 5 years of my memories away" . Yes, it's ambiguous with a hint that it's a happy ending, but that is not how Chuck should be. It should have been simple and good. With a red door.

Fans have been begging for a movie or mini series for years. I don't think it's to give them more chuck, but to give them a proper ending. Instead of this silly dark Hollywood ending the writers thought it needed.

Watch it to season 2, maybe most of season 3 and leave yourself at a high point, not the anger many fans have.
  • I was so sad in last episode knowing this is the last fresh episode m watching and now they are not gonna make any new.. I recommend everyone who like to watch a TV series combining serious comedy mixed with suspense romance and scifi thriller. It's all u want to see in a TV series
  • Chuck and Sarah are the best onscreen couple. Felt so real for me. Thank you for this awesome show!
  • I absolutely love the show, and genuinely found it funny, also, the character arcs and storylines were satisfying. But, it was very unrealistic in its depictions of everyday women. In which every female character was slender and usually over 5"7, other than Anna, who was portrayed as a scantily-clad prostitute type. It made me feel mildly uncomfortable about being a female, so I wouldn't let younger children (or even preteens) view the show. Otherwise, if that sort of thing doesn't bother you, then I absolutely suggest you watch this show.
  • theneilrules28 October 2014
    This show is a perfect mix - romance, drama, action and comedy in a blender. Not many shows will keep you at the edge of your seats. Chuck is truly an epic, in fact, it is the best action comedy series ever. Both the lead characters fit perfectly. The chemistry between Strahovski and Levi is unparalleled. The main charisma of this show is just one. Amongst the action and comedy sequences, the allurement to watching this show is the constant advancement of the relationship between Chuck and Sarah. How they would eventually end up with their romance. The rest of the cast provided enough laughter to fuel up this magical journey. 91 episodes just ended in a flash.

A must see. The best action comedy series ever.
  • ben-108-38904217 December 2019
    Bit late to see this but finally watched them all prime. What a show, how did I miss this when it was on. I don't write reviews but felt compelled for this show. Loved it from the start and being the strong, emotionless 40 years plus male I am - I cried my eyes at the end.

Best thing I have watched in years - just good fun from start to finish.