User Reviews (3,670)

• Let's say you're reading these reviews and haven't watched GoT yet, but now that it's finished are considering the marathon. What's the consensus? In this case, the consensus is accurate, and that is:

Seasons 1-6: outstanding. Deep world-building, intelligent dialogue, epic set-pieces worthy of Hollywood, expert acting, detailed plotting, genuine surprises, great soundtrack used sparingly. GoT is worth watching for these seasons, definitely.

Season 7: you suddenly notice the writing and plotting has taken a sharp dive downwards in quality. There are inexplicable ideas, inconsistent characterisation and soap-opera dramas. But at least the entertainment value is still very high, so it gets a pass.

Season 8: this drop chasms down to depths you didn't think possible. The writing has got so amateurish that the still-fantastic production values are no longer enough to save it. If you ever enjoyed Lost but were amazed at how bad the final season was, you're in familiar territory here.

The biggest problem with the final season was it took us out of the story and got us thinking about its many weaknesses. We lost our suspension of disbelief. Fatal for fiction. It also ruined the series-arcs to the point where a rewatch of the entire series is pointless.

So can I recommend a GoT marathon for newcomers? Yes, the first 6 seasons are worth the disappointments later on. But best series of all time it is not. It could've been, but dropping the ball in the final stretch puts it behind the following superior series more worthy of your marathon:

• Battlestar Galactica (2003-2008)
    • Twin Peaks (all 3 seasons, plus the movie)
    • Breaking Bad
  • It use to be my favorite show by far and i never thought that could change,but it did.Last(8)season i watched only once but all the seasons before that i have seen 3 times,except the season 7,which i saw twice.Thank god that i did,because now i won't watch the show again.You really mess it up with the last season.
    I would give this an easy 10/10.. if season 8 didn't exist. But it does, unfortunately.

Season 1-6 10/10 Amazing, complex dialogue and intriguing logical story lines with strong character developments and shocking emotional moments. On top of the insane action scenes. A few MINOR flaws in s5/6

Season 7- 8/10 - still very good but seemed slightly rushed and had some illogical moments that made no sense.

Season 8- 3/10 I actually don't know where or start. Season 8 is a bit of a joke really. Terrible writing. Nothing makes sense. The writers have butchered many character's developments and given hardly any satisfying conclusions to their story arcs. Brans story had no pay off at all and his whole role as the 3 eyed raven proved pointless against the Night King. Jaime's redemption arc was cut off instantly with real no reason. The Night Kings death was underwhelming. Infact all of episode 3 was poor, with no real structure and poorly written end to the main story line of the show. No Sansa and Cersei confrontation of any sort which I would have liked to have seen. Unbelievable unrealistic plot armour. Rhaegal taken down by first 3 shots, yet Drogon dodges an Iron fleets worth of Scorpions at Kings Landing, which weren't even shooting, just to serve the plot. I guess Euron forgot about Dany's dragon and her forces. Jon does nothing all season (why was he resurrected? ) I kind of like Danaerys going mad but it needed a lot more time and thought put into it - It went too far too fast with no substantial development to justify her killing thousands of innocents. It was actually laughable . After Dany's death it just skipped to Tyrion's trial and no one seemed phased over it. Anything that required any thought from the Writers was done off screen. Major let downs and bad dialogue throughout. There are some good moments but very few and far between. Have to appreciate effort by cast, directing and music crew and the few decent scenes as a whole. Also, Cersei, who I personally think is the most interesting character gets 20 minutes screen time all season and does nothing expect look out of a window.

Overall- 8/10 purely on S1-7
  • Started off as the greatest series of all time, but had the worst ending of all time.
  • For a series with such a complexity, many-layered characters, contradicted emotions & breathtaking events. you'd expect to get an epic ending but that wasn't the case with Game of Thrones which has an end that ruined it all & made rewatchability almost impossible. even the worst pessimists wouldn't ever imagined a series that acquired all this glory & hype to end up so terribly.

Shame on the writers to turn such a rich world & complicated structure into a pale & dumb pop-ish work at the last 2 seasons

Seasons 1-6 outstanding. season 7 that's when the dumb writing has begun. season 8 dumb writing has taken a whole new level, butchering all characters arcs & betraying the previous complexity of the world.

if you're new to the series do yourself a favor & stop watching after season 6.
  • It was a master piece. It was written to the perfection. It was mesmerizing. It was gripping. It was so shocking that if someone is binge watching this show he/she will need a time-off in between to get their head around things and accept some messed up, yet mind blowing development.

But yet, I cant hate it enough after final season. Its like you came to know that you were in love with the wrong one all along. It was like looking at a completely different person. It was like seeing your own dreams and expectations get destroyed. It was not a let down, it was a BETRAYAL!
  • The first 5 Seasons of Game Of Thrones are exceptional, a beautifully structured series. The sets, characters, pacing, twists - exceptional. I could not fault it, however, after that things went downhill.

When it came to Season 5, the author of the books (George R. R. Martin) and HBO had a disagreement. Martin wanted the show to run across more series, to give all his complex story lines the chance to grow & move at a natural pace. HBO declined and so he dropped off the project, which is extremely evident.

Season 6 & 7, although flawed, were still watchable. The books & George's earlier comments paved the way for both seasons, but you could feel that the episodes lacked substance.

This brings us to the latest season, and after 2 years of waiting expectations were very high. The first two episodes were very plain, the reunions were wonderful, however you could tell they were setting up for one of the biggest fights of the series, which had been greatly anticipated since Season 1. I tried to not to have too high of expectations, however the director referred to episode 3 as "bigger than Helms Deep" which is a comment that will always spark excitement.

Episode 3 was so utterly disappointing, in every way. If you were somehow able to see through the intense darkness (what was the director thinking?) you will crumble to the poor decisions made by writers. I will not stem into this too much, but basically Dan & Dave chose to go down the Hollywood path, completely disregarding any real story or strategy. Episode 4 was equally as disappointing, which I was hoping would redeem the final season.

The writers have ruined this final season by fast tracking characters (basically teleporting), making the smartest of characters docile, and letting plot armor protect 'favorites'. I am still going to watch until the end, but I thought I would warn any future viewer to prepare yourself, as there is nothing more heartbreaking than watching terrible writing ruin a otherwise tremendous series.
  • As GoT started, the first four seasons were insanely great. The story, the characters, the mature plot points. Everything was just perfect. It was 11/10 for me then. But as the seasons passed and episodes increased, the show became dumber and dumber and dumber. The story became childish, and the premise deteriorated. And now in season 8, it feels like a bunch of kindergarten kids are given the task of writing the plot for this show.
  • Be prepared to watch ~70 hours of awesomness toppled by the 2 hours of pure s**t.
  • The ending of this series is a disservice to the public!

The first seasons are great as they are based on the books source material and, apparently, the writers are good enough at adapting other people ideas. After season four there's a decline, not so manifest at first since the goodness of the source material still lingers around. It's more of a slow deterioration, a spiral into shallow writing that peaks in a last season devoid of content and value. Where at first grand scale developments, societal issues and world-spanning intrigues dominated the narration with characters being the pawns of the true overarching story, later in the seasons characters and stereotypical interactions take the stage and the interesting, long developing issues that made the story captivating get resolved in the most unrewarding ways possible. It's incoherent, detached, uninspired writing. It's everything that is bad in mainstream media.

All of this because the writers decided they had enough with the show and grew bored with it. So they wanted to wrap it up as soon as possible in order to go on and ruin the Star Wars franchise (more than it already is). Thanks for your disservice!

It needs to be mentioned that the overall production, sound design, acting, cinematography, all of these are quite extraordinary and elevate the show quite a bit, even when the writing declines. The quality is amazing. It probably is still worth watching for its entertainment value. It just doesn't pay off. The ending season ruins quite literally everything.
  • I loved this series so much. Then came season 8 episode 3 and 4. Such a disgraceful ending.

Seasons 1-4 10/10 Seasons 5-7 9/10 Season 8 (Ep 1-4) 3/10
  • As an avid reader, I am often disappointed by what is represented by the silver screen. I initially get excited to see one of my favorite series on the big screen, and eventually walk away disgusted. For whatever reason, most shows and movies that are based on epic book series absolutely butcher the original content.

So when I saw the preview for "Game of Thrones" on HBO, I was immediately skeptical. Oh, I was going to watch it, but I didn't have high expectations. I did hold a little hope because HBO is known for their high quality shows.

I was absolutely shocked to watch the Pilot and realize that it followed the book almost to perfection. The language that is used by the actors is very similar to the way that it was written in the book, and events were not skipped. It stayed very true to the story without adding to it or removing from it.

The acting is superb and I actually felt like I was looking into Winterfell for the first time. I feel like I've actually got faces to add to the characters that I've been reading about for a long time.

If you have not read the books, you may feel as though the blatant sexuality is an addition from HBO to add some spice to the series. This is not the case at all. The books contained all of the sexuality that is shown in the Pilot. I am very proud of HBO for producing an amazingly accurate product. I will be watching every week for sure.

If you enjoyed what you saw in the Pilot, know that there are many other plot twists and action filled evenings to come. "Game of Thrones" has a ton of potential to be one of the greatest series that has ever been produced. I would highly recommend it to fans of the series and newcomers alike.

UPDATE:

I have now watched 3 Episodes and I wanted to come back and report some more. Even after 3 Episodes, the series is staying true to the written story. Overall the acting is still very good. I hate to watch a show that makes it look like the actors are reading a script. I don't get this impression with this HBO adaptation.

Each episode of this series leaves me itching for the next weekend. I really hate watching shows in real time because I enjoy absorbing several hours of a show at one time. But, a good show will keep you looking forward to it the whole week.

A special note to viewers that have not read the books... Keep watching! This series has numerous twists and turns and full of epic battles and action. It may seem like it's taking a little while to develop, but the reward is well worth the wait.

Even after 3 episodes, I would still highly recommend this to anyone.
    Readers who come to this review later in the series must note that, at the time of this writing, I have only seen the inaugural episode.

It's probably safe to say, when dealing with a series of novels as beloved as The Song of Ice and Fire, the most scrutinized aspect of the T.V. adaptation will be how well it holds to the source material. I am here to confirm, as a fierce devotee to the books, that we have nothing to fear.

While certain scenes play out differently in execution, the plot remains perfectly intact (so far). The characters have been transplanted well from page to screen, and the actors (most notably Peter Dinklage) nailed their personalities quite well. However; it is only fair to point out some of the acting seemed a little wooden at times.

Special effects were well done, though nothing mind-blowing, but the scenery and props perfectly captured the feel of the novels (in my mind at least). It also must be noted that there was just the right amount of nudity, violence and vulgarity to let the audience know they were watching a tale woven for mature viewers without using said nudity, violence and vulgarity as a crutch.

All and all, I am very, very pleased with this adaptation, and I went into it expecting to be disappointed. If I were to gripe about anything, it would be that newcomers who have not read the books might not know what to think of this fantasy story for adults. Some may shrug it off as fodder for geeks, while others might take offence to what they may see as a defiling of a genre usually meant for children.

UPDATE

After watching the entire first season, I can safely say this is perhaps the BEST adaptation of book into film/TV. While many moments in the show do not match the moments in the book action for action and word for word, the plot is never sacrificed when doing this, and the alterations simply make the story a better fit for a one-hour television time slot.

In addition, new scenes (by which I mean scenes which never happened in the book at all) fit seamlessly into the greater plot, and help the audience with information they would only otherwise get via the narrative of the novel (EG: asides which explain character/world history).

Top form, HBO. Top form.
  • Do not believe any of those negative reviews. I honestly cannot understand why some reviewers have given this such a low rating. I think some people love the sound of their own voice and think their opinion is worth something and will be disagreeable simply for the sake of it.

Having said that, this show is stunning. I have never read the books and now I want to. There is so much crap on TV that is renewed year after year (CSI, House etc.) which uses cheap gags, pointless and sometimes ridiculous plots, unbelievable and many times one dimensional characters and yet all the truly great shows get cancelled.

There is enough brain-dead television. But once in a while a show comes along that transports you to another world and makes you believe in the magic of television again. Game of Thrones is one such show.

It is complex, multi-layered, surreal, vibrant, imaginative and it draws your eye in to the surprising level of detail, from the sweeping vistas, to the narrow dungeons, from the beautiful castles and magnificent trees, to the contrasting landscapes. It is worth watching just for the scenery alone.

Yes the acting seems a little cold and even wooden at times, but this is perfectly in keeping with the medieval look and feel of the show. Yes it is dark and gloomy, but again in keeping with the narrative.

The scripting is intelligent and well delivered by competent acting, led by Sean Bean perfectly cast as Lord Edard. Although Sean Bean is better known for brooding bad guys, he strikes the perfect balance between father, husband and Lord and soldier. He is well supported by other well known actors and many new to the scene.

After watching and sometimes enjoying Camelot, this show makes that one look more like "Merlin" by comparison. And where Camelot lacks in depth and scripting, Game of Thrones strikes the perfect balance between brooding medieval angst and wonderful fantasy story telling.

Even if you have never watched a fantasy show before, you should not miss this.
  • So everyone knows that season 8 blows. It's common knowledge. For the people who haven't yet seen it, is it worth it to watch anyways?

Well, yes and no. I would definitely say for most you can still enjoy the majority of the show. However, if you are the type of person that values the destination MORE than the journey, I would be cautious.

Seasons 1-4: 10/10

Seasons 5-6: 9/10

Season 7: 7/10

Season 8: 3/10

Seasons 1-6 have some of my favorite moments in storytelling, ever. If you are a fan of intense, gritty realism, intriguing plot, and complex characters, I would definitely still recommend this show, just know what you're getting yourself into.

MY WARNING TO THOSE STARTING: DO NOT get too emotionally attached to the show. Enjoy it for its quality alone, and understand WHY the last 2 seasons are not as good. This way you will not be depressed for weeks on end after watching the last season like I was.

Let this show be the prime example of how a show goes from some of the most compelling narratives I've ever seen, to absolute trash at the end. From a purely analytical standpoint it is quite fascinating to watch.
    Dear Dan and Dave,

I have long been a huge fan and an avid supporter of Game of Thrones all the way since Season 1, granted I regretfully have not had the joys of reading any of the wonderful George RR Martins books. I have, however spent hundreds of hours exploring the Game of Thrones lore, history of Westeros, fan theories, detailed interviews and everything in-between - It's fair to say I'm a more passion fan than most.

I am no Hollywood writer - or in fact any writer for that matter - but I believe I share the opinion of so many GoT fans. I want to start off by saying thank you. Thank you to the visual effects crew, stunt co-ordinators, body doubles, extras, set designers, costume designers, camera men, George RR Martin, directors, the brilliant actors and so many other people behind the scenes of this once all-time great show - Not only have we the fans been incredibly let down, but the people who have put their physical blood, sweat and tears into the show have also had their beautiful hard work defiled.

I could go into incredible detail about all the things wrong with this season, some notable events: Jon being exiled for killing Danny who murdered hundreds of thousands of innocent people, Jon's heritage being seemingly not important, the woeful execution of Danny going mad, Bran being king even though he didn't do anything at all, Drogon flying off into the 'sunset', Rhaegal being killed, missing the reaction of Sansa and Arya's when Jon revealed his real parents and most of all for me, no one sticking up for Jon in the meeting with all the powerful lords... He literally killed the woman he loved and saved countless lives in the process and he gets nothing in return, its shameful.

With the holes in the show - and there as so many - I think it's a pathetic excuse of an ending. HBO wanted 10 seasons, but foolishly Dan Weiss and David Benioff decided they had enough, they wanted to wrap the show up so they could make mountains of money butchering yet another beloved franchise (Star Wars). I understand that not everything deserves a happy and perfect ending, nor can you please everyone. However, we spent nearly a decade following these wonderful characters, watching them develop and intelligently interact with each other since season 1. The ending to this show will never be forgotten, for the wrong reasons unfortunately. I hope Dan and David come out and apologise to the fans, we are the people that kept the show running, without the fans support there would have been no Game of Thrones on TV at all.

The characters deserved better. The whole crew deserved better. The fans deserved better. George deserved better.

Regards, A Game of Thrones fan

Originally posted by channelsergeant on Game of Thrones S08E06
    This show started slow, but it grew on you. Throughout the series you get invested in the story, and have some explosive (literally) moments that are thrilling! These big moments were unexpected so it was a treat every time they occurred. As the show headed towards season 7, you can tell the directing got a tad lazy, but it was still fun to watch. Then season 8 happened. Cinematography? Great. Story? Meh. There are some moments that have you confused. For example: Dany forgot about Euron's fleet? Grey worm teleports to where Dany is? The castle falls on Jamie and Cersei, which kills them, yet Tyrion can walk to their bodies? The lighting of the long night? Ultimately, Game of Thrones is still a fantastic show. It is a shame that the final season only had six episodes, and was rushed.
  • Seeing a review comparing this brilliant title to Lord of the Rings made me make an account here and post my very first review.

I had very high expectations from this series and I believed that it will (like most TV series) absolutely ruin the book. And I couldn't have been more wrong! Where do I start...

The cast is great, though not amazing with one exception - Sean Bean is perfect for the role of cold master of the North, Eddard Stark. The setting, the atmosphere is perfect and not boring at all! Some scenes are just amazing and are exactly as written in the book - for example the scene where they find the wolves, the nature and the dialogs are just as they should be. Now to get to the part most people are interested in: What is this? What can I expect of the series?

THIS IS NOT LORD OF THE RINGS. Now that I got that out, I can continue. The very idea behind the series is a lot different. It's based around great families on different sides of the world, the stories their members have to tell and the secrets they hide. And there are many secrets, You will have a chance to witness small portion of them in the first episode. If you cannot follow the story just yet, don't worry! It's meant to be like that, you will eventually get to know all the characters and get involved in the story so much you will BEG for next episode just to see what happens.

What to expect? Plots, love, action, war, hatred, quite a few surprises and much much more... All that after the first episode. I really hope they will not ruin it as the series progress.

Conclusion: Do not miss this! Yes YOU complaining that the book is better. And everyone else.
    First off, I used to have a 10/10 for the show but after watching season 8 ep 3, I can no longer consider it a masterpiece. The writing has been atrocious, no spacing between major moments. Season 8 is definitely going to be the worst season in GOT history, even if the last two eps are Brilliant which I'm starting to feel is highly unlikely. However I'm still giving GOT as a whole 8/10 because of what the show once was, but season 8 has ruined it. Their best hope now is to hire some new writers and redo season eight with 10 episodes, so key moments are spaced out and not feel all jumbled together like they do currently, and give more justice to the night king so that GOT can go out with a bang and be remembered as the greatest show that ever was, like it was supposed to.
  • jcb04098 August 2018
    Ever since I've watched the last available season of GOT I haven't been able to get into any other show. I've tried countless new shows and nothing even comes close to GOT! The way the multiple story lines and characters Intertwine with one another is absolutely genius! The idea that someone created this entire world from their imagination is unbelievable. The acting is suburb and you can't help but to fall in love or despise the characters. The cinematography and CGI is stunning. You'll be completely immersed in Westeros! Wishing you could just jump in and be a part of the story! So many twist and turns and things you'd never expect. GOT is incredible and definitely worth your time! However, be warned! Once you start you won't be able to stop and TV will never be the same!
  • I don't believe there has ever been anything like 'Game of Thrones' on TV. The sheer amount of quality and talent in this series is staggering. The actors (and I mean really ALL the actors), the costumes, the visual effects, the make-up: everybody working on this show seems to have wanted to make Television-history. And the writing is just phenomenal.

'Game of Thrones' may belong to the 'Fantasy' genre, but the world of Westeros and its surrounding lands has been so amazingly well thought through and is inhabited by characters that are so well drawn and credible that everything you watch feels real. Every "country", every city, tribe or family has such a richly detailed history and even mythology that it just never feels like it was made up. Of course, that was all already there in the books – but translating that so perfectly to a TV-show and with such care as was done here really is a rare achievement.

Yet for all its grandeur, scale and breath-taking visuals, what really makes Martin's outstanding work come to life on the small screen is the fantastic ensemble of actors. At the core of this show (any show, really) are the characters. Tyrion, Cersei, Dany, Jamie and John (and all the – many – others) don't lose anything of their complexity; the amazing cast succeeds in showing all their respective characters' inner conflicts and often questionable motivations and virtually no one comes across as one-dimensional (except maybe for Joffrey).

There have been a couple of great TV-shows over the last years, but when it comes to scale AND quality, 'Game of Thrones' is – at the moment – in a league of its own. A joy to watch: breath-taking, epic – and highly addictive – Television. 10 stars out of 10.

Lesser-known Masterpieces: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070242495/

Favorite Films: http://www.IMDb.com/list/mkjOKvqlSBs/

Favorite Low-Budget and B-movies: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls054808375/

Favorite TV-Shows reviewed: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075552387/
  • I was a big fan of Game of Thrones ever since it first aired on HBO. However, after waiting for two years, I (as probably also a lot of others) felt that the season didn't rise up the rest of the show. I believe the writers and producers didn't do the show justice and rushed the story. In these 6 episodes and pretty much destroyed most of the major character lines. It took 7 seasons for these complex story lines to evolve, just to be shattered in 2 episodes. That being said, taking in consideration that season 8 is a part of GOT, I don't believe anymore that the show deserves the 9.5 stars.
  • First of all, I am a huge fan of the books, and I find it exhilarating to see a show that is so close to what I made in my mind while reading it.

I see some of the reviews are complaining about the sex and violence, to me that is like going to a restaurant, order a steak and complain about getting meat..

They keep true to the epically written book, and they depict the characters in an excellent way.

With a few exceptions I would say they have made what will be an epic show here, and I would really hope that they continue for all the books.
    Final season would look like it was rushed, character development goes down the drain of few main characters. Somehow they stop following their own traits, for e.g Varys does everything in his hand to preserve the realm, seeing his character from past 7 season one can never think he just dies by giving hisaelf up like that. Same goes for Jaime Lannister, he was redeeming himself over the seasons and now he won't get his page in book of brothers filled with good stuff about him. Biggest disappointment was there was no background of Night King even in Season 8.
  • This TV series is magnificent! I read a book and I must say that A Game Of Thrones is one of the best books I've read. So when I first heard that HBO will do a series on the this book I was thrilled but I was afraid that they will not be done exactly by the book. But I must say that I was wrong and that the series is better than I thought it would be. Much better!

While I watched the first episode I had the same excitement as the time when I first read the book. HBO has done a great job and they fulfill all my expectations. Sean Bean was born for the role of Eddard Stark. Costumes, scenes, actors, everything is done as it should be. Actors are perfect for the role they play in the series.

For me the biggest surprise of the series I figure Daenerys Targaryen. Emilia Clarke actress who plays Daenerys Targaryen is more beautiful than I imagined it would be and more beautiful than is described in the book.

The Wall is a lot different than I had imagined, but in a good way.

The series revolves around Eddard Stark and his family. He has a wife and five children, three sons and two daughters. Eddard Stark is ruler of the North and close friend of King Robert who needs his help in ruling the Seven Kingdoms.

The seven kingdoms, united under one ruler, have lived a life of peace and comfort since King Robert took the throne. But nothing is ever as it seems. Within the king's court there is murder and treason, with no one aware of what is really going on. Across the seas, the last remnants of the previous royal family gather forces to reclaim their throne. To the north, the unthinkable gathers, the creatures of myth and legend that have been forgotten.