User Reviews (199)

• ridiculionius5 November 2010
    It's not HTTYD, but it still kicks butt!
    Dreamworks is notorious for creating a combination of hits and misses - their misses can be anywhere between disappointing (Shrek 3) to just plain forgettable (Monsters vs Aliens), but you'd better believe that their hits hit HARD. Their most recent release, Megamind, coming hot of the heels of the DVD release for How to Train Your Dragon (arguably one of Dreamworks' best), is, despite its poor press, a major HIT in my book.

Two aliens are placed in escape pods as infants in order to flee their respective planets, each being devoured by a black hole. One, a well-groomed humanoid with extraordinary powers, crash-lands into the lap of luxury on Earth - the other, a blue, big-headed baby, falls not far away, right into a prison yard. Each a product of their upbringing, the two boys form an intense rivalry in their school (or "shool") days, as one becomes the egotistical, he-man hero of the classroom, and the other quickly devolves into an outcast. This latter child, fed up with trying to gain acceptance, decides to turn villain on his rival - when the boys become men, they name themselves Metro Man (Brad Pitt) and Megamind (Will Ferrell), and engage in constant battles set in Metro City. One day, when Megamind actually succeeds in killing the famed superhero, he takes control of the city, turning it into a den of chaos. However, without a hero to fight, Megamind feels that he has lost his purpose, and seeks to create a new hero and rival to liven up his life again.

This movie works for 3 main reasons - first, the characters. Will Ferrell as Megamind is simply brilliant; flawed but lovable, we pity the guy for all the crap he took that drove him to villainy, we appreciate his intelligence while still laughing at his screw-ups and flamboyant nature. Surprisingly enough, what could've easily just been a purely comic protagonist became a 3-dimensional character, and you actually get to care deeply for him. Brad Pitt's small but memorable role as Metro Man provides great comedy and a snide parody of a certain Man of Steel. And let's not forget Roxanne Ritchi, voiced by Tina Fey - your typical Lois Lane damsel-in-distress. While Roxanne *does* seem to get kidnapped a lot, she never loses her cool... mainly because Megamind simply doesn't threaten her. She's brave, but she still gets scared. She's smart, but she can make stupid mistakes. She's kind and a bit naive without losing that snarky grin. She isn't the *most* rounded heroine out there, but she has her moments, and overall, she's a pretty likable character. Jonah Hill and David Cross are also great, of course, with Hill's character of Hal being oddly 3-dimensional himself, and Cross' being little more than a voice-of-reason for Megamind to play off of.

The second thing that keeps Megamind from crashing is the script - it's genuinely funny and heartfelt without seeming pretentious. The comedic moments work because they really are funny. The serious moments work because they have genuine heart - they balance solemn with sweet with sad, all without losing that honest streak that ties them together. When Megamind hurts, you truly feel his pain, and even if it doesn't exactly tug your heart-strings, it definitely serves to further your emotional investment in the movie.

And finally, the animation is just awesome. 'Nuff said. I saw it in 2D, but based on what I saw, the 3D showing would be well worth it.

Truly one of Dreamworks' hits, Megamind captures just the right combination of crazy humour and lovable characters to create a, dare I say it, MEGA-AWESOME film that kids and adults can both enjoy. 9/10
  • Elias Ashley12 August 2011
    Possibly The New Shrek!
    I don't remember the last time I enjoyed an animated movie this much! One reason being the gorgeous 3D animation-I mean...look at Minion's dome! I was gee-king inside and out on how detailed this movie is from the characters to the scenery. Every time I watch the movie, I always spot something new! Megamind shouldn't have been advertised as a full blown comedy, because this movie held plenty of deep lessons to be learned and so laughter was a little on the offside at times, but those tender moments were probably the best part of the movie! Will Ferrell, Tina Fey, and especially David Cross impressed me with their voice acting talent! I felt as though they ARE the just felt real to me.

Megamind has a lot of great lines and is a great family film! A must see!
  • Amit Srivastava7 November 2010
    Don't miss it...
    I have read some reviews here and see it being unfairly compared to some Pixar's... I would rather rate it on its own merit. When I am sitting in a theater I would rather watch the current movie than try and compare it with others I have seen before. I guess that is just me! So here goes.

It is worth a watch (or two if your kids want you to). The story is built up on a traditional superhero concept inspired heavily from the first "Superman" movie to the "Return of Superman". However, the jokes are often original and some can get an LOL out of you. All in all, there is enough good humor sprinkled throughout the movie to keep everyone smiling.

If you can, do watch the 3D version. It has some good action scenes which look great in 3D but if not, you aren't missing a lot. This is not one created specifically for 3D pleasure - unlike Dreamwork's "How to train your dragon". Do watch out for some great dialogs by Megamind, and even some cutesy ones that seem right out of a Dilbert strip (office humor, if it wasn't clear enough). My favorite is "He is still not used to positive feedback" :) (probably funnier in context.

All in all an entertaining package.
  • Mike_Noga23 December 2010
    Megamind is the Charlie Brown of super villains.
    I am so glad that animated movies are coming back into their own. In the past few years we've seen some really good ones like Despicable Me and How to Train Your Dragon and now we have Megamind. The animation is great but what gets this film 4 stars is the fact that while the animation adds to the movie, it is only one aspect of the film's appeal. The dialog and characterization are strong too.

It is, of course, the thinly disguised story of Superman, but told from his arch enemie's(Lex Luthor) point of view. It's also a look at what happens when society fails a child who just doesn't fit neatly into a pigeon hole. Because Megamind is different than his peers(because of his looks and intelligence) he relates to them a bit awkwardly which in turn makes him feel even more different and alienated. At some point he reasons that if he is treated like a bad kid, that he might as well be a bad kid, and " MegaMind, incredibly handsome criminal genius and master of all villainy! " was born.

Megamind is also pretty even handed. When characters in this movie are bad,or cowardly, or act in ways that are beneath them, it's for an understandable human reason. I think the movie makes the argument that if people could reach a more mutual understanding of each other, then we might be able to start to eliminate much(but not all) of the evil and misery in this world. It has real heart That's just the underlying philosophy though. It's nowhere nearly as preachy as I might be making it sound. The movie is peppered with cool references to various Superman incarnations and plenty of humor.The animation is fantastic, especially Megamind's "Death Blimp". I saw it for the first time with a huge audience which consisted of both older animation fans and young families and everyone had a great time. I looked around occassioanlly and saw people of every description laughing through out the movie. There is something for everyone to enjoy in Megamind. It's a guaranteed good time for anyone with a heart beat.(Honestly, even the undead would probably crack a smile here and there.)
  • projectblue0218 November 2010
    I Love Megamind!!
    I tend to watch all the new animated movies that come out nowadays. It's simply amazing to watch each new advancement with each new movie. Megamind truly was enjoyable to watch, all the details and small touches made it a wonderful show. Just the right amount of humor and seriousness, with a strong love interest. It's everything I was looking for in a movie. The character, Megamind himself, voiced with Will Ferrel makes him seriously lovable, how can we not love a silly underdog trying his best? Music for the movie I felt was perfect picks for each type of scene, they seem to give the movie much more power! I want to see much more of these characters, I've already seen it a few times in the theaters, 3D and normal, each time unforgettable!

Please Dreamworks, keep going with this one, its a true winner in my book, I would just love to see more!!
  • e-elisabeth2811 November 2010
    Absolutely Amazing and Funny Movie!
    First off, I must say that I am guilty of "judging a movie" by its trailers. I have to say it was a pretty good movie because the theatre was literally roaring with laughter.. I even caught myself crying laughing at one point. That's how funny it was. What's funny about it is that it is played out in great animation with an excellently cast (Tina Fey, Will Ferell, Brad Pitt, and Jonah Hill) brewed together to make an excellent superhero movie or spoof rather.

I thought it was going to be lame, but boy was I definitely wrong, I can't say enough! I loved every moment of it and the whole good vs. evil concept was intricately woven in a different way. It was very Creative the way they rolled out the story to viewers.
  • med77_995 November 2010
    An enjoyable animation for adults and kids alike
    I watched this movie tonight with my wife and kids, we really enjoyed this a lot, i found myself actually attached to the characters and intrigued by the plot. i also found myself entertained with the action scenes. my kids also enjoyed it, more so than they enjoyed the lame Alpha and Omega. I guess most of you know what the plot is, so i won't go into it. it is just fun and involves super powers and super heros battles. most of you are probably reading this to decide whether to go and see it or not, let me say, go ahead, it is worth it and enjoyable !! And i also like to add, we watched it in 2D, so im not sure how it is in 3D, but im assuming just as good if not better.
  • appubhai00722 February 2011
    Different and an entertaining super hero story
    As we all know Pixar and Dreamworks are two of the best studios producing amazingly awesome animated movies. There have been few misses but megamind is not one of those. With dreamworks releasing some fantastic and original movies in the recent past like kung fu panda and how to train your dragon I knew I had to see this one since it came out and I finally got time to watch it now.

Although it felt like one of the typical genre of super hero films, but with all those elements put together and a super brilliant character, MEGAMIND, who is a little flawed and evil, but is also lovable, earns our pity and "gets the girl in the end". It was smart, intelligent, witty and a well written story. The voice acting and animation were perfectly suited to the movie. I love how these studios pull such great emotions even with animated characters. When Roxanne leaves Megamind, you yourself will feel his pain which he shows with his eyes. I just love it..!!! This movie had some great around laughs and took a different spin at some conventional superhero movies and gave us a great surprise which I am sure you all would enjoy. This flick is for all ages. Right mixture of humour, seriousness and also a little suspense with a strong love interest will keep you laughing and entertained throughout the movie and the superb action and flying scenes which are very exciting, I feel, are made mostly for the "3d" experience but nonetheless its equally enjoyable in 2d. But 3d complemented the movie without being a distraction or annoyance. I guess it's everything I was looking for in a movie.

Also, the movie vividly captured many awkward and tragic human situations in a way only animation can. Like how society sometimes fails to accept a child who is different than his peers(because of his looks and intelligence) and just doesn't fit and he relates to them a bit awkwardly which in turn makes him feel alienated. In the movie MEGAMIND reasons that if he is treated like a bad kid, then he might as well be a bad kid, and thus takes place birth of an intelligent, genius criminal or as he says "SUPER-VILLIAN".

There's seriously nothing to complain about the movie except that I wanted it to go on for a little longer maybe.

Overall, a funny, exciting, entertaining and a really MEGA-AWESOME film that kids and parents, both, can enjoy and I would really like DREAMWORKS to keep going on with this and I am sure they will.

Enjoy…. ;)
  • Cody Dang4 April 2011
    Putting the Mind in MEGAMIND
    Let me begin this review by saying that I was very pleasantly surprised with 'Megamind.' I was not expecting much beyond what we've all seen in the trailers: cheeky laughs, slapstick humor, and the like. While it is certainly all there and accounted for, I was very surprised by the level of humanity and realism underneath the misleading facade of colorful, CG images which might have implied this would be a kid's movie and nothing more. Some of the great parts of the movie are present in the first few minutes of the film, where we see how Megamind came to be a villain. We see a baby Megamind being carried by his parents, who tell him that he was destined to become something, though he doesn't remember what. He is sent to Earth at the same time as Metro Man, his opposite and future rival. As fate has it, the baby Metro Man crash lands in a rich family's house while baby Megamind crash lands in a prison. They are raised in their new homes, causing them to become what their environments expect them to become. This bit in which the babies are seemingly thrown into a place where they seemingly 'belong' sets the stage for a great exploration of the theme of identity and destiny, and begs the question of whether we have roles to play or whether we directly choose our own paths.

Not much later, we see an older Megamind dealing with another problem that we should all be able relate to--the desire to be accepted by society. It is especially difficult for Megamind, being a the only blue alien among his many peers at school, while his rival, Metro Man, seems to always be the object of favor. As we get to understand Megamind's reasons for being a villain, there's an excellent example of role reversal--we perceive the 'bad guy,' Megamind, as the good guy, because we can relate to his problems and understand the motivation behind his actions. We also see the 'good guy', Metro Man, as the bad guy, because he is, ironically, less human than Megamind--Metro Man is without flaw, and is without any understanding or sympathy for Megamind. A good example is one of the earlier scenes, where Megamind accidentally starts a fire when he attempts to use a ray gun to pop corn for his classmates. Metro Man saves the class by extinguishing the fire, and he is praised while everyone shuns Megamind. Metro man and the class look past Megamind's intentions to be good, and only at the fact that a fire has been started from his attempt. They see Megamind in an unfortunately prejudiced way, and they don't consider the motivation for his actions, but only results of the actions themselves.

At that moment, Megamind feels that he and Metro man are destined to have specific roles as the bad guy and the good guy. The whole beginning sequence on the earlier years of Megamind works for well, packing a lot of humanity into first the few minutes. This is great for several reasons--we are immediately to connect to and root for our main character, Megamind, and none of it feels rushed. We immediately understand his jealousy and his desire to be accepted and have his own role--he decides that if he can't be perfect like Metro man, he will try to be what he is 'good' at--being bad. It also enables the rest of the film to explore the development of Megamind's established character and whether he is really stuck with the 'role' he's been given--and it all plays out very well as he discovers the path to one's destiny and identity with his rival Metro Man and his love interest, Roxanne. The film is also legitimately funny on multiple occasions! In short, I believe Megamind is a mega-masterpiece, and that it is also very thoughtful, putting the 'mind' in MEGAMIND.
  • smm7728 December 2010
    one of the best movies i've seen in the past few years or so.
    There's nothing to complain about this movie. And the story was original, actually just great if you keep in mind that it is a feel good movie. Really love to see how people can still come up with good and original stories that still have a happy ending, much like the latest Shrek movie. And the music was just great (again much like the latest Shrek movie), classics such as Back in Black, Highway to Hell, Crazy Train and Cobrastyle really made me love this movie like maddd. The people at DreamWorks are obviously pure genius. I might just be a dutch 15 year old, but you are crazy if you don't like this movie.

recap: - Original - Unexpected twists - Good music

10 stars!
  • big_pk14 November 2010
    sick animated flick
    if your looking for a good old time and lots of laughs. I suggest you watch Megamind. This movie had all around laughs and took a different spin at superhero movies and gave us a great surprise that i know you would all enjoy. This flick is for all ages. Me and wife enjoyed it even thou we have no kids. I give Megamind five thumbs up . Hope you get to enjoy this wonderful movie. Make sure to bring someone you will enjoy being a kid with again . love it love it love it!!! hope to see more flicks come like this in the future. it seems that animated flicks have come a long way and continue to grow and become great movies of all time.thank you all.
  • Alan Devine24 June 2012
    A well developed movie for adults and kids
    Every so often I watch a film with limited enthusiasm, simply because I have time me to kill. On these occasions I sometimes stumble across a true delight and am pleasantly surprised...a film that maybe had "mixed" reviews or that received little attention upon its release. Megamind is such a film; a great work of animation and character development.

The film should delight adults and children with enough in it to satisfy all tastes. There is also plenty of amusing and hilarious satire with regard to superhero movies and super villains.

Many superheros and villains are often depicted as wholly good or wholly bad, having at best some traumatic event setting them on their inevitable and unchangeable course. This film actually highlights certain sources of inner turmoil and insecurities of the characters in a very entertaining way and develops the characters as they work these out.

There's also plenty of rip roaring action on the way.

Great stuff! Highly recommended!
  • L_Knight_9113 November 2010
    Some villains are born to be heroes.
    Megamind, the big-headed alien always picked the last and took for granted while his rival Metroman was the school popular and the handsome boy who everyone wanted to be his friend are always in a conflict and everyone favoring Metroman, Megamind takes this chance to be a villain and extract revenge upon his rival.

Seeing the cast was quite the surprise seeing Will Farrell, Brad Pitt and Tina Fey, while i'm a huge fan of Farrell i went to this movie and it was really good, voice acting is top notch, the comedy stands out and i really liked the soundtrack since most of the songs are old-school.

This movie is recommended for everyone you will laugh and Will Farrell will draw smiles on the audience, if you get the chance to see it in 3D then go for it since the action scenes are powerful and breathtaking.
  • yasin2323 December 2010
    Funny enough to keep you watching for more
    This film was very funny and i feel the cast was chosen very well there was a lot of character development which added depth to the growing relationship of Megamind and Roxanne(Fay.

although it felt it fit the typical genre of super hero comic book films and a lot of people will find it to be not like despicable me that does nothing to reduce in the quality of the script. The comedy was good with all the parent laughing to the jokes, like the reference to the God-father etc.

I think overall the film will be able to reach out to kids and parents alike the twists will keep you seated till the end. The moral of the story Destiny is the path you chose not what is chosen for you, 7.5/10 a good family film
  • tieman6423 November 2012
    Where'd you park the invisible car?
    "Megamind" stars Will Ferrell as "Megamind", a super-villain who delights in his daily feuds with local superhero Metro Man. Metro Man is played by Brad Pitt, his character a suave, debonair and hilariously cheesy ode to all things manly. Megamind, meanwhile, is your classic superhero villain, only fifty times cooler and a hundred times more slick. Forget Heath Ledger's overrated Joker. Megamind's where it at. The guy struts about like a cocksure peacock, smoke machines, Black Sabbath, AC/DC and strobe lighting forever heralding his oncoming awesomeness. Megamind understands the showmanship of villainy. The wild, ego-maniacal, unbridled jouissance of it all. The guy's Id unleashed. You can almost smell his cool. He also wears mascara.

"Megamind" is also a bit deeper than your typical superhero flick. Here the villain, Megamind, is shown to be a byproduct of both the city which ostracises him and the "good guys" who bully him. Metro Man is himself a giant egotistical jerk whose craving for power is a result of his own abusive, absent parents. Meanwhile, most of the film charters how crime and law, superhero and super-villain, all function as a kind of self-sustaining feedback loop. Late in the picture another character, a socially and sexually rejected kid who is abused by both our hero and villain, himself becomes a violent super villain. The film is unique in that it positions us to sympathise with villainy and explicitly shows how abuse is oft internalised and then redirected.

Mostly, though, the film is simply cool. Megamind moves like an 1980s heavy metal rock-star. He's obsessed with "presentation", his cape frequently fluttering to some blazing Guns n Roses track. The rest of the film pokes fun at overcooked superhero clichés. Its female love interest, for example, is modelled on DC comics' Lois Lane, and Megamind's dad is a nod to Brando's Kal-El. Elsewhere the film, which is almost always funny, parodies glam rock and comic book tropes. As computer animation allows for a kind of hyper fine-tuning, the film's virtual camera work and virtual action sequences are machine precise.

8.5/10 – As Pixar drowns in phony syrup, DreamWorks Animation seems to get better. Worth two viewings.
  • Claudio Carvalho9 June 2011
    A Funny Animation with a Parody to the Origins of Superman and a Satire to Superhero Movies
    When a planet is near to be destroyed, two alien offspring are saved by their parents that launch them to the space in pods. Their fate on Earth is opposite: one that is a beautiful baby with superpowers crashes in the lawn of a mansion, while the other that is ugly and blue with a big head crashes in a prison yard with his companion Minion. They are raised in different environments of the Metro City but studying in the same school for gifted children. While one becomes popular but selfish and egocentric, the other is absolutely outcast by the other students. They become enemies and when they grow-up, the population knows them as the superhero Metro Man and the villain Megamind.

In their fights, Megamind always loses and ends in prison; however, Megamind develops a ray that kills Metro Man, reducing him to a skeleton. After a short period, Megamind feels bored without the battles against Metro Man. Meanwhile he dates the field reporter Roxanne Ritchie, who works with the cameraman Hal Stewart, using the identity of Bernard and sooner they fall in love with each other. When Megamind decides to create another superhero to become his opponent, he accidentally transforms Al Stewart in Titan expecting that he would use his powers for good. However, Titan becomes greed and evil and destroys Metro City. Now Megamind is the only hope to save the world from the mean Titan.

"Megamind" is a funny animation with a parody to the origins of Superman and a satire to superhero movies with an adorable villain. The bad lucky of Megaman, who is oriented by outlaws, plus the prejudice of his mates against his ugly appearance turns him into a quite bad character. However, he is not actually evil but a misguided alien that has the chance for redemption. The voices of Will Ferrell, Tina Fey and David Cross give life and humor to delightful characters. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Megamente"
  • TourettesPersonal6 November 2010
    Flying Cinema
    The trailers of "Megamind" is like your same old typical Dreamworks Animated Movie. Slapstick comedy, simple story, less heart. But the movie turns out to be good. It's a solid entertainment, a lot of action and laughs. The best thing about this film is the flying sequence. You don't need to watch this in 3D because in 2D cinema you already feel like you are flying. "Megamind" is fun and non-stop entertainment. Like I say, 2010 is the best year for animated movies.

The story is like "What will happen if the villain defeated the hero?". Without the main superhero, the main villain will be a good guy. The story is interesting but it's predictable sometimes. At least the movie is fun. The jokes were funny (duh it's Dreamworks). The entertainment quality is great. I'm not against 3D but you don't need to see this in 3D. It's already exciting and fun in 2D.

It's not like "How to Train Your Dragon" or "Kung Fu Panda" that it's very heartwarming. "Megamind" has a heart but not as big as the movies i have mentioned. The filmmaking is decent. Hans Zimmer's music is always great. The action and flying scenes are very exciting. Also the voice acting was pretty good. Will Ferrel's voice reminded me of Rainn Wilson's Gallaxhar on last year's "Monsters Vs. Aliens" and also the appearance of the character. But his voice acting was good though.

Overall the movie is very enjoyable. It could be one of the best animated films of the year. It's not your typical Dreamworks except the trailer. The movie is short but it's undeniably entertaining. It's a movie you can repeat all over again like "HTTYD", "Shrek", and "KFP" but not as heartwarming as those three. It's like "Monsters Vs. Aliens" with heart.
  • Cunnilingilator10 July 2010
    Fun but not Pixar
    Saw this at a test screening. It wasn't completely finished in terms of animation, much of it was in storyboard phase, but from what I could tell the animation is top notch. Jonah Hill is perfect as Titan. Will Ferrell was decent as Megamind. Brad Pitt was good while he was in it.

Its half spoof half turn the genre on its head. There are some pretty good jokes and some decent set ups. There's no real heart here though. Everyone's likable but you know it'll all be OK.

Several scenes were very well animated, there is one of the biggest explosions ever animated in this film which was pretty cool. Go take the kids, especially the boys, who'll most likely get a kick out of Megamind.
  • doyler7911 January 2011
    You'll probably laugh, and you'll probably wish it were better.
    You'll probably laugh, and you'll probably wish it were better. Megamind is nothing more than a amiable-enough adventure about atonement, about choosing to be the person you want to be regardless of what others expect of you. I'd love it a lot more if the Pixarian themes had been developed with greater care; as it is, they come across as an reconsideration. The jokes range from the modestly amusing to the mildly dumb. It's a harmless, inoffensive, moderately likable throwaway of a cartoon that you will probably start forgetting as soon as it's over.It may be difficult to find uniqueness in Megamind but it's also hard not to like.
  • user-209-6193921 January 2015
    Very good animation movie with story told from antagonist side.
    I am very late watching this movie and loved this very much. Very good animation movie with story told from antagonist side.

The movie is about adorable villain cannot be more cuter than this apparently.

The movie is pun on Superman's story. Like in Superman story a alien baby is sent from home planet when it is getting destroyed. But also another planet from another planet is sent in similar fashion.

So the main character gets being labeled as savior of the town while the other gets into trouble always and determines to be bad.

Very enjoyable. Just watch it!
  • Kristine23 June 2011
    Heros are out, Villains are in
    I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like 2010 was the year for villains. Ever since Disney released it's classic film The Incredibles, I think people took more of an interest in the villains, what makes them tick and what their true motives are. So Dreamworks saw this idea and really took advantage. They released Despicable Me which was a huge hit and not even a couple of months later we had Megamind. It seemed like the love child of The Incredibles and Despicable Me, but I went shopping a few weeks ago and found Megamind very cheap, so I figured that I would give it a buy and see if it was worth it. I watched it this morning and even though it's not a very strong animated film, I would say that it was worth the buy. I guess it's just a great year for villains, because we're not seeing them as total baddies who just want to destroy everything and everyone, but maybe they have a soft side too and wanted to be good but their looks were a little too intimidating and their powers were just a little too over the top.

Megamind is a super-intelligent alien and self-proclaimed villain of the fictional Metro City. Megamind has constantly battled and lost to his nemesis Metro Man since they both arrived on Earth as infants. On the day that Metro City dedicates a museum to Megamind and his sidekick Minion kidnap reporter Roxanne and lure Metro Man into a copper-lined room. To everyone's surprise, Metro Man is unable to escape and appears to be killed when Megamind's death ray strikes him. Megamind revels in his victory against Metro Man, but shortly after becomes depressed, his villainy having no meaning without anyone to stop him. Megamind is inspired to create a superhero by injecting a worthy target with a serum fashioned from Metro Man's DNA, granting them Metro Man's super-abilities. As Megamind is selecting his target, Roxanne sneaks into Megamind's lair; in the resulting chaos, Megamind accidentally fires the serum into Hal, Roxanne's cameraman who wasn't the brightest choice in the world. Now Megamind finds out that he may have a different destiny then just being the bad guy.

When I saw the movie Despicable Me, I have to admit that I was disappointed, even though it's a good movie, I was expecting a great one. I think since my expectations were lower with Megamind, it met up with what I was expecting to see and I think I had a little bit of a better time. Dreamworks is more aimed for an adult audience vs. the kids, not only can you tell with the jokes, but with the music. The animation is pretty great, but you can tell it was very much made for this silly 3D fad we got going on. Again, I still miss our good old hand drawn animation, I think the CGI animation is just a cop out, but I suppose I should get used to it since this 3D thing is not going away for a while.

The actors seemed to have a good time with the movie as well and really got into their characters and their voices didn't seem out of place. Another thing that I enjoyed about this film is that it brought out the inner dork in me with wondering what the Shredder from TMNT was like before he wanted to defeat the turtles or if the Joker and Batman originally played in the sandbox together when they were kids and Joker was just jealous of Bruce Wayne and all his wealth. I guess I need a life with that comment. But to end the comment, I would say that Megamind is very much worth the watch, especially if you loved Despicable Me. Villains are finally getting their due, the new millennium makes the heros out and the super villains in.

• Michael O'Keefe22 June 2011
    Will Metro City have a new champion?
    A lot better than I expected. Visually exciting with fun for all ages. Super-villain Megamind(Will Ferrell)and the metropolis hero Metro Man(Brad Pitt)have battled back and forth so many times; but Megamind thinks he has come up with the ultimate plan to defeat his goody-goody nemesis. Megamind plans on ending his losing streak by kidnapping pretty TV reporter Roxanne Ritchi(Tina Fey)and catch Metro Man in a copper death trap. With the city morning their hero, it is obvious the balance of living life is just not the same with Megamind in control. Megamind decides to create a villain to challenge and win the hearts of Metro City. By accident the new bad doer is Roxanne's cameraman Hal(Jonah Hill), who becomes Titan. Now Megamind is thinking he has a slam dunk for the first time to save the day. Well, some surprises are in store. Other voices: J.K. Simmons, David Cross, Ben Stiller and Tom McGrath.
  • Jerique3 April 2011
    'You're fun.' - Hilarious movie!
    Megamind is probably the best animated movie of 2010.

Will Farrell plays the villain, Megamind and tells the story from near the ending and flashes back to how the story begins. I was surprised at this movie because of the amount of comedy that genuinely made me laugh out loud a lot. This movie went beyond my expectations, which was also surprising since I had a feeling it would be like Due Date and be a letdown.

I won't say it's predictable, because for the most part it's not. Jonah Hill is basically the opposite of Farrell for the most of the movie. Tina Fey does a great job allowing for romance and comedy to be put on the screen while Farrell brings out a lot of comedy. Minion (played by David Cross) is quite a funny character too. I immediately realized it was David Cross after a couple lines.

It's a cute movie for all the romance and it's great for kids too. It's great for adults as well. I like the reference of Superman and Batman and I liked the premise of Megamind being Lex Luthor.

It's got a lot of great animation and comedic timing. I really liked the way they animated Jonah Hill to look dangerous and scary at certain points of the film. I liked the movie a lot and I would rate it as being one of the best of the year.
  • Prince AJB19 November 2010
    It's Despicable Me + Superman
    2010 has seen many animated movies with the same 3D treatment which include March's "How to Train Your Dragon", May's "Shrek Forever After", June's "Toy Story 3", July's "Despicable Me" and the recent "Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole" which blasted on September. While October sees none, November's first animated film (the second one being "Tangled") is "Megamind", a similar movie to "Despicable Me" but in a Supermanalized version.

"Megamind" uses concepts from Superman such as a foreign planet is on the way to destruction while one little young of the species is hoped to survive and live in another planet. That's what has happened to Megamind. But the twist is that there are two outer-spaced people and the other one is Metroman, the more Superman-like person compared to Megamind.

Just as Megamind was about to arrive at a royal, happy house on Earth, Metroman gets the spot first and bumps Megamind's capsule causing Megamind to end up in jail. There, Megamind learns criminal stuff and soon, when he grew up, he faces off his nemesis Metroman. But, when Metroman has lost and died, bored, Megamind creates a new super-powered hero. But, the new super-powered person didn't want to become a hero but instead a villain. Megamind, for the first time in his life, becomes a hero.

Megamind is a unique character. With the big blue head, his plans are actually ingenious but is easily tricked by other people. This makes him a funny criminal rather than a scary one. He has a friend named Minion which is a fish that has a robot body. He's like Dr. Doofenshmirtz in Phineas and Ferb but slightly more intelligent and better luck.

By the way, you might be wondering what Tina Fey's character does in the story. Well, her character, Roxanne Ritchi is a reporter for a newscast who supports Metroman. After Megamind impersonates as a friend of hers, she starts to have a relationship with him even after Megamind was discovered of pretending to be her friend.

Of course, what fuels animated movies is the jokes. That seems to be what lacks in "Megamind" as the original jokes are quite a few. But, one of them was ingenious.

The 3D effects were satisfying enough for me and they were quite deep enough for an average 3D movie. The animation was not so stiff and the locations and everything was very much detailed.

Voice performances were excellent especially Will Ferrel's who owns the part of the titular character. Tina Fey's performance was also well and seemed to sound confident. Brad Pitt shows his talent of voice acting too. David Cross who plays Megamind's pet fish is also well and satisfying. Jonah Hill's performance as Hal or Titan was also excellent. The acting was all good.

Overall, "Megamind" is a perfect kid's movie even though a big blue headed hero may sound scary. But, kids will definitely enjoy the film very much as I do with the lovable characters especially Megamind himself who is funny and ingenious. "Megamind" is truly recommended.

Prince AJB's Score: 8/10

Thank you for reading my review on "Megamind". Hope it's useful.