I was warned by the bad reviews but wanted to see it for myself. And god, they weren't wrong. This movie is an insult to the horror genre, a terrible collection of cliché, horrific writing and storytelling. After reading some of the positive reviews I can't help but ask in utter disbelief: What is wrong with you people?
I hate this movie so much! Why? Hear me out.
Protagonist Steve is a yuppie-power-alpha-scuba-diving male adult, representing the educated classes, with diplomatic skills like a boot camp drill- Seargeant and the sense for keeping an even keel like dead wood.
His girlfriend Jenny is the wet dream of every chauvinist - a soft, defensive, helpless and dependent female, with the looks of a doll and guess what: she is a kindergarten nurse, helps caring parents raise their children to mind - and helpful people. Yeah, man.
1) Sophisticated Steve claims to know the countryside, but has no clue about the mentality of the people.Ignorant a**hole as he is, he bitches his way through the village, behaving rude and impulsive, making sure everybody gets he is the super-dude from the city. Super smart and super clever. Of course his she-doll let's him have his way.
2) The lake seems to be very remote. The drive through the forest seems to take a while, and when their car is stolen, the couple walks back till dusk,so it is obviously a long way. I do believe that viciousness drives even lazy-ass hooligan-teens to do a journey just to harass someone. But a faraway place like this as a frequent hangout? Without bikes? In such a vast terrain? LOL, Never.
3) It is supposed to be a romantic weekend, but everything goes downhill radically due to his boneheaded stubbornness. As an adult and out of consideration for his girlfriend, he should have had the brains to get the f*** away from there. But no: Our narrow-minded alpha- male jeopardizes everything. His wounded ego cannot overcome the thought of being chased away by some kiddie-hoods, BECAUSE HE WAS THERE FIRST (that is what he says to the kids, seriously!).
4) We, the viewers, would assume the kindergarten nurse knows how to deal with kids behaviour or at least knows SOMETHING about their behaviourism. Something that could ease the flames. No. After crashing into to tree, he instructs her to run for help, himself being trapped in the car. And what the heck?! Instead of getting her s**t together and run for their lives, SHE TAKES A NAP in the bushes and returns without ever trying to find help (Of course there is no need to hurry when your injured boyfriend is surrounded by bloodthirsty riots)!!!!!! WTF?!
5) Beware of the working class, people. The adults are killers, their runts are killers, and they hate everyone who didn't emerge from their villages' swamp of evil.
I could go on and on. Leaving the boyfriend with a deadly stab wound in plain sight, pathetically covering him with some leaves for hiding...15 minutes before the end I couldn't take it any more, fearing for my brain to damage beyond repair.
There is NO character development, nothing that makes you feel for them. Only blind, cold anger over so much idiocy that I caught myself thinking they didn't deserve better.
The black and white portrayal of upper class couple being killed by the scum of the earth is the cherry on the topping.
And the worst thing is: the movie is so utterly without suspense and tension, cleaning your apartment offers more thrill than this. If you dig the "harrassing people to the point of no return"- theme, or just enjoy a well crafted killing spree, I recommend "high tension", "you're next","cape fear","in cold blood", "clockwork orange","the purge- anarchy" or the mother of it all "funny games".