User Reviews (567)

• Let's face it. We've all done our share of "dumping". Whether it's the, "Lets just be friends," or the all too familiar, "It's not you, it's me," tactic, as long as you're not on the receiving end it becomes a question of, "How quickly can I get this over with, so I can move on with my life?" Equally, all of us (yes even Brad Pitt) have experienced what it feels like to "be" dumped and the complex emotions that unexpectedly follow. If you're one of the fortunate souls that have managed to escape the throws of relationship hell, you'll probably fare better with renting the newest addition to the Rambo series. For the rest of you who've at one time or another gotten your hearts ripped out of your chests and stomped into a million pieces only to turn you into unshaven, alcoholic hermits on the brink of starvation…this movie is dedicated to you.

Tom (Joseph-Gordon-Levitt) is a wanna-be architect turned professional greeting card writer whose life is thrown for a loop when he suddenly falls for the "new girl" Summer (Zooey Deschanel, Almost Famous). As one who appeared most certainly unattainable at first glance, Tom manages to charm her into what she coins as a, "casual relationship." Eventually, Tom ends up questioning their status with one another, which manages to put strain on the relationship, causing her to request the dreaded "time apart." (500) Days of Summer chronicles the bitter sweet beginnings, the untimely endings and all of that confusing stuff that takes place during the in betweens of a relationship that just isn't meant to be.

(500) Days of Summer is presented in an effective non-linear style that sets it apart from its romantic comedy predecessors, rotating back and forth between dates signified by a simple title card flashing in between scenes (2), (50), (150) and so on to represent the various days in the course of Toms roller coaster of a relationship. This seesaw method of bouncing to and fro successfully manages to force the viewer in a physically engaging shared experience of Tom's feelings, which is something every director aspires to elicit from their intended audience.

The real kudos go to Scott Neustadter and Michael Weber, whose script is practically flawless. You can't help but feel that their authenticity and attention to detail while constructing each scene through appropriately sarcastic and funny dialogue exchanges among all of the main characters involved, particularly those between Deschanel and Levitt which come across as heartbreakingly real and genuine. Their creative way of crafting the simple concept of a break up through unconventional story structuring is a refreshing concept that begs to be seen more in a world where most conventional films tend to play it safe.

Leads Deschanel and Levitt manage to bring something quite special to the screen in their portrayals of Tom and Summer (both "last nameless"). Their chemistry is really what makes the film a joy to watch. Mostly thanks to Neustadter and Weber's superb dialog, both actors seem so comfortable in their roles that their interactions with one another transcend the screen and naturally unfold before our eyes as if we were voyeurs to their unraveling, wanting so much to change the fate of their outcome, but helpless to do so. Deschanel is sexy, carefree and bound to be adored by males everywhere as Summer. Levitt captures the struggle of the neurotic "boy in love" exceptionally through all of his various stages of emotional imbalance.

(500) Days of Summer is a poem to every down and out guy who thinks he's the only one whose ever been dragged through the mill by their own Summer. What undoubtedly ends up making this picture so brilliant is how relatable it is to its victims and victimizers a like. When all is said and done, there is most definitely a lesson to be learned by Tom's experiences. Everyone you meet along the way, whether just passing through or sticking around for awhile, has a purpose. In the end nothing lasts forever, relationships begin, relationships end. Try to be thankful for all the people that broke your heart, they more than likely helped you find yourself in the process …especially you, Summer…bitch.
  • I haven't seen a romance this touching since I was the same type of single sad sack as depicted by the hero of (500) Days of Summer.

Tom (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) has his radar up for "the girl of his dreams" when he meets Summer (Zooey Deschanel). Too bad for Tom Summer is stuck on friends-with-benefits mode. Let the tension begin.

Director Marc Webb captures the feeling of innocent, naïve love expertly. Anyone who has taken the lyrics of the Smiths too closely to heart, would be moved by the idea of the person they are crushing on sing to them: "To die by your side/is such a heavenly way to die." No wonder Tom soon falls head over heels for this girl.

As events unfold out of sequence, you know all along Tom has fallen for a time bomb of a woman, and he can't even see the countdown. When that bomb finally blows up in his face, it unfolds with powerful simplicity-- no exposition or dialog, just two juxtaposed events that capture the heartache of reality hitting a person who sees a person through the filter of deep-seated emotions that were planted at too young an age.

So many romantic films nowadays concern themselves with cute ideas; take 'He's Just Not That Into You' or 'Serendipity' for example. Even movies like 'Knocked Up' where a pot-smoking, video-gaming, narcissistic slob tries to turn his life around to try to be a father feels more contrived than real. These movies forget about human feelings.

Who cares about stock or cartoonish characters in love. The couple in (500) Days of Summer have true chemistry. There are some beautiful, subtle moments of tenderness as well as some heart- rending moments of disconnectedness between the two that never comes across as heavy-handed. The movie constantly reminds you that these are two different people with different ideas of a relationship, yet they stubbornly continue dating, and they remain lovable all the same.

An omniscient narrator sets the film up early on by noting "this is not a love story." And, in a way, it isn't. It's a story about feelings. It just so happens (500) Days of Summer captures the sensation of falling in love better than most movies.

For more of my reviews, visit indieethos.com
  • Everyone loves summer. It's a time for friends, family, and fun. Ballgames, barbecues, amusement parks, and movies, summer is just a time to sit back, relax and enjoy. Enjoy time off, good weather and whatever else it might bring. Am I missing something? Oh yes, love. Summer is a time for love.

The film can be pretty much summed up in one of the first lines of the film. "This is a story of boy meets girl. But you should know up front, this is not a love story." But is it? 500 Days of Summer is not your typical romantic film. There's something to it, something more than your usual romantic comedy. Maybe it's the style it's done? Maybe it's the realistic nature? Maybe it's the wonderful music? Maybe its the beautiful cinematography? Maybe, its Tom and Summer...

Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel are the leads, Tom and Summer. These are real everyday people. Tom, a believer in true love. Summer, a doubter. Which reminds me of one particular scene where Summer questions Tom about believing in love. Tom replies, "It's love, it's not Santa Claus." It is a real thing, a crazy little thing called love. Tom falls in love with Summer from the start. She doesn't. Tom is like every other guy, and every guy knows of a girl like Summer. The girl they want, but can't have. They try, to no avail. It's frustrating, and Tom is frustrated. He's happy then sad. He doesn't know what to think. Gordon-Levitt and Deschanel have great chemistry together and give solid performances. You really believe their relationship and hardships. It makes you notice the little things in relationships. The film highlights two young stars on the rise. With some great performances lately for Joseph Gordon-Levitt, his stock is rising... dare I say an up and coming Heath Ledger?

The story is not in direct order as it goes back and forth from different days Tom remembers his life and relationship with Summer. When remembering, we may not remember every detail in order. We choose what we want to remember. May that be the good, or the bad. For Tom, it's a little bit of both. Big props to the editing department. The film shows the good and the bad of love, relationships, and life. There's something about it that sets it apart from the usual romantic comedy.

500 Days of Summer is really refreshing now a days. It's funny, unique, and true to life. It's got something for everybody to like. Director Marc Webb shines in his feature film debut. I'm interested to see where he goes from here. 500 Days of Summer has quickly become a late summer highlight for me and surprisingly so at that.
  • arichmondfwc22 July 2009
    Who is Mark Webb? Anyone? Anyone? It is an astonishing piece of work for a first time feature film director. He counts with a beautifully crafted screenplay and two sensational leading performances and that's where the success of this comedy resides. Jodseph Gordon Levitt and Zooey Deschanel are two startling originals with a winning screen presence and a brain, yes, a brain. I was involved in their peculiar relationship because there isn't a hint of shallowness in their back and fourth. I believe it, completely, and when you sit in the dark and believe what you see on the screen, things are going to happen to you the way that happened to me. It is again a confirmation that treating your audience with respect will pay off somewhere along the line. I love Zooey Deschanel, she reminds me of some my favorites of the past without looking or sounding like anybody else. And Joseph Gordon Levitt, well, this young man is something else. He projects a humanity that doesn't need to be embellished. It's just there for us to dive into. Marvelous actor, marvelous performance, marvelous film. I'm so thrilled to be able to say that.
  • Greetings again from the darkness. The narrator warns us upfront ... this is not a love story. Still, we are so preconditioned by Hollywood, that directive merely floated around in my head until near the end of the film when I realized it was perfectly accurate.

Joseph Gordon-Levit and Zooey Deschanel are the leads and each bring a certain quirkiness and sensitivity to their roles. Watching them grow as a couple just never quite clicks for the viewer the way it does for JGL's character. He buys in hook, line and sinker and believes his destiny for love is being fulfilled by Summer (Zooey).

Director Marc Webb throws a bit of everything at us - just to prove this is not a traditional love story. We get the fun of memory blender - flashbacks like Day 488, Day 2, Day 159 - well you get the point. That is how most of us remember anyway: non-linear. We also get a funny musical number in the park, a b & w Bergmanesque dramatization, and a leading man whose poetic musings are limited to his writing quips for a greeting card company. Oh, he also takes love advice from his 11 year old soccer-playing sister (Chloe Moretz), but wisely declines most of it from his best friend played by sexist, drunken (and funny) co-worker, Geoffrey Arend.

What I really like about the film is that it is different, yet very realistic. So often our "dream" girl is just not quite a fit in this world, yet she and the next guy are just right. Doesn't seem fair, but in reality, it is not only fair, but perfectly just. And remember, there is always another season ... maybe Autumn?
  • "This is a story of boy meets girl. The boy, Tom Hansen of Margate, New Jersey, grew up believing that he'd never truly be happy until the day he met the one. This belief stemmed from early exposure to sad British pop music and a total mis-reading of the movie 'The Graduate'. The girl, Summer Finn of Shinnecock, Michigan, did not share this belief. Since the disintegration of her parent's marriage she'd only love two things. The first was her long dark hair. The second was how easily she could cut it off and not feel a thing. Tom meets Summer on January 8th. He knows almost immediately she is who he has been searching for. This is a story of boy meets girl, but you should know upfront, this is not a love story."

500 Days of Summer is an intriguingly original take on falling in love. Every emotion involved with a relationship seems to be relayed; from the strange and quirky aspects of new love to the tragedy of heartbreak. Marc Webb deftly incorporates his ingenuity and comedy into the film. The writers quite skilfully enrich the film with one of the most immensely beautiful and original screenplays to come along in a while.

Tom, a greeting-card writer with artistic dreams beyond his mundane job, meets Summer and quickly falls for her. Eventually, he manages to charm her into a "casual relationship". So begins the 500 days that chronicle the happiness, heartbreak, and every other aspect involved with the often changing tides of romance.

500 Days of Summer portrays a relationship that is more realistic and less clichéd than most others in it's woefully unoriginal and formulaic genre. In doing so, the film never feels anything less than completely innovative and incredibly fun. The film's story is told in a refreshingly non-linear fashion that strives for and often reaches perfection with each and every scene.

The acting is wonderful, especially from the two leads. Since starring in Mysterious Skin (a disturbingly compelling film), Joseph Gordon-Levitt has been one of my favorite actors and proves yet again why he is one of the most talented actors of his generation. His performance was truly fantastic. Zooey Deschanel is absolutely wonderful in her portrayal of Summer and her quirky personalities. Their chemistry is wondrously compelling to watch and their moments together seem wholly convincing and genuine. The supporting cast is terrific throughout and very fun to watch.

The music was marvelous and really added to the film. Everyone involved does an amazing job to connect the several elements of love into a satisfying and moving conclusion. The film often shuffles between whimsy and realistic, but, rather than getting lost because of it, the story only seems to be enhanced due to the chaotically transitional moods.

500 Days of Summer is a hilarious, deftly thoughtful film about love. The performances are astonishing and the writing is sublime. It is a thoroughly clever and impressive film that shouldn't be missed.
  • sundevil2730 January 2009
    They said this movie wasn't going to be a love story, but that's simply not true cause I feel all warm and fuzzy after watching this flick. I think it's Love. How could you not love this movie, this a story about a guy named Tom who wants to be an architect but ends up working a meaningless job at a greeting card company creating romantical propaganda on paper. Luckily for him the most perfect girl in the world, Summer, just started working at his office and wouldn't you know it, she loves The Smiths, too. It's a match made in Ikea Heaven, but wait there is a twist here! This goddess of all things shabby chic doesn't believe in love, furthermore she doesn't want to be held down by a relationship. Oh No! Poor Tom. Those ocean blue eyes, that voice, that smile, those eyes.... oh those eyes, how could Tom not fall deeply in love with Summer. So begins the season of love, the 500 Days of Summer. In 500 amazing days Tom will learn about relationships, reconciliations (a good Ex never dies), Love, Lose and most importantly about moving forward.

Now talk about great performances, this ones got two. You want Zooey, you got Zooey. She's all over this one, easily one of her top performances to date. She is simply truth in this movie, she'll make you love her and then she'll slowly break your heart but you'll just want to love her more until all you see are those glowing blue eyes in your loneliest nightmares. Joseph Gordon Levitt is so prime here, the chemistry between he and Zooey clicks perfectly and not only that but since every woman,man and child is in love with the knee bending powers of Ms. Deschanel it must be said that JGL gives such a strong performance that he clearly owns this movie all the way till the very end. You might come on down to the cinema looking for Zooey but you'll be rushing home to hit up the IMDb to see what the 3rd' Rock kids been up to over the last 8 ( hint... see 2005's Brick). While watching JGL's performance it's pleasantly reminiscent of a pre-Brokeback Heath. He has such a charm about him that glows and an easy smile that jumps off the screen, plus much like Heath he has the chops to take it dark and lonesome with sincerity if the flick requires. The rest of the cast rounds out nicely with a few supporting folks like Clark Gregg who plays Tom's square Boss and Geoffrey Arend who is good for a few good sidekick chuckles. By the way special shout out to Ian Reed Kesler who played the "Douche" (IMDBs words not mine) with perfection. That must have been an interesting audition call.. looking for 30-something dude to play the "Douche". Well Played Sir!

Now the dynamic duo aside, Marc Webb the Director has got a little something-something going on. Past sins aside (directing Jesse McCartney videos, WTF?), it seems that his music video hipness lends a freshness and style to the overall appearance of this flick. The movie very rarely missed its mark and by golly its got real DEPTH!. Needless to say this makes it quite a bit more interesting then the latest McConaughey (dude what happened, you were so cool in Dazed) and Kate Hudson needs a paycheck mindless studio romance. You'll have lots to talk about and feelings to relive long after this ones stopped rolling the credits. Additional strong points here are a visual aesthetic that has a modern meets Capraesque remix, which felt very much built around Zooey Deschanel's fabulous style. The colors and landscape are all complimentary to the movie, downtown LA never looked so nice! The other thing we got going on here is a killer soundtrack, built around some Smiths, Doves, and a few others, not mention the fact that once again we get a chance to hear Zooey Deschanel do a little karaoke in the movie which is a tasty little treat.

Bottom line 500 Days is going to be on your mind in 2009 and chances are that like a good EX it will always pop back in your life and you'll dust if off and pop it in the player and go down memory lane remembering all good stuff, then like a swift punch in the gut like only a good EX can, it'll break your heart all over again.

See it, believe it.
  • This was an excellent romantic comedy, although many might not agree that it is either romantic or a comedy. I found myself laughing out loud at many of the scenes, but the laughs in the theater were few, and I think most people would label this a drama with streaks of black comedy.

The driving force behind what makes this movie work (beside the script) is Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Tom Hansen, who carries the movie on the basis of his physical comedy and acting ability. He is the unrequited love interest in the film. JGL does have brief glimpses of true love with Summer (Zooey Deschanel) but it's clear she's not interested in anything permanent, just a good time. After his initial sexual encounter with Summer, JGL engaged in a choreographed dance routine of Hall & Oats "Your Making my Dreams Come True", which should win JGL some type of award.

Deschanel plays the role she usually plays, soulful & pretty free spirit. She played the character very well and the movie viewer could well understand her reticence to engage in a long term affair with Tom.

These types of movies might leave some cold, but the ending turned out well.

One additional bonus was Chloe Moritz, who played Tom's younger teenage sister and Psycho-Analyst. She was great.

A very good movie worth checking out. A near perfect date movie I might add.
  • gainesrangler13 October 2019
    It does not pretend that women are lofty and romantic and it shows women as back stabbing, untruthful, unyielding and mercurial. This scenario has played out in real life for years. This film is unflinching as showing a man as romantic and a woman as unreliable.
  • I don't regularly comment on movies, but this has a personal accord with me.

My girlfriend of one year broke up with me the day before I went to watch this film, as promised.

That being said, Tom (Joseph Gordon Levit) embodies my apathy and frustration in every mannerism. He allows the audience to feel his pain and disappointment. Tom is a man with boyish ideals, coming to terms with the grief of rejection. He teaches her how one loves, yet she never learns to except and give as selflessly. Probably because, as I and Tom have painfully learned, you can't teach or bequile someone as you would a child into doing love 'properly.' And sometimes, true love dies, and no sea of tears can change that.

Summer, played by Zooey Deschanel, is fun, beautiful and selfish. Undoubtedly the villain, the film seeks a reversal of standards; the male is now being preyed upon.

Is Tom naive? or is Summer a cruel and self interested girl?

The only thing that really bothered me was the director's incessant need to punctuate scenes of emotional substance with cliché romantic comedy relief. He already broke custom, why conform?
    I was really hoping and expecting to like this film. I was surprised to walk out of the theater annoyed at what seemed like an adolescent take on romantic love. Maybe part of the problem is that I recently watched Annie Hall. Like many other filmic treatments of love, 500 days seems derived from Annie Hall. There are Bergman references, cartoon characters, split screens, direct address of the audience which all smell and feel like the classic. Even the Deschanel character seems like a flat, more one dimensional,cynical version of Annie (she doesn't hold a candle to Diane Keaton, no where near the charm and far more disturbed) delivering conversation ending platitudes like "what always happens...life." (oooh, that's deep). Sis far more a caricature than anything else. I would lay bets her marriage ends in divorce and that she is much more pathological than the film lets you in on. The Joseph-Gordon Levitt character also seems unsophisticated and puerile. Although he is charming in his role, he is never in anything approaching love with this woman; he remains mired in his projections and idealizations of her and we are forced to watch this painful display of 14 year old obsession. I think by the end he gets it, but by then you have had to suffer right along with him. He is also not spared the stultifying writing {the quitting his job speech where he decides he's not going to be part of the "bulls**t" any longer) that makes this move sound like a grown ups Say Anything.

I guess that was my main problem with the movie. It just doesn't really seem to have anything intelligent or important to say about love. These people didn't seem credible to me, they lacked depth and maturity. In the 32 years that have elapsed since Annie Hall it seems that our culture has gotten more childish and superficial and less, not more, understanding of love. Maybe that is what is most disappointing to me; that this is what we have to say about the subject. If that is the case no wonder people are so emotionally stunted when it comes to relationships.

And lastly, I just couldn't buy the whole LA thing. Why try so hard to make LA look like New York? Who takes the train, the subway and the bus? I mean, isn't LA good enough as it is without tying to make it look urban in the traditional sense?
  • I've avoided writing a review for this film for quite some time now because of a few reasons. One of them being I've been very unsure of how exactly I feel about this movie.

Critics and average movie goers have praised this movie immensely. It has been described by professional critics as "a delightful comedy, alive with invention" among other (positive) things. This specific statement is right about the movie being innovative. We have all seen, heard and read the overdone 'boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gains girl again'. But this is more like 'boy meets girl, boy loses girl... for good'. Going back to the statement :'a delightful comedy'? I think not. There is almost nothing funny about this movie. The supposed 'funny' parts are basically swearing...ummm...yep that's it. The other parts were way too depressing or 'touchy' to be perceived as humorous. Why this is branded as a romantic comedy I will never understand. If it were up to me I would brand this as an anti-romance movie more than anything. I will not go into the plot too much but I can tell you that the movie makes me sick even thinking about the concept of romance and love. How Summer (the girl) is perceived by Tom (the boy) as her soul mate and how it definitely seems that way in the beginning of their relationship. How it feels like they're 'in love'. And how Tom is pretty much stabbed and mentally abused when Summer suddenly described she's not interested. The popular 'Expectations/Reality' scene in which, on one side of the screen, Tom gains summer back (the expectations) and on the other side of the screen, where he is completely ignored by her (the reality). And of course the ending, which I won't spoil, all of these aforementioned factors combined together make me sick to my inner core.

I will commend the movie for being original, not following a generic romance movie formula. And this is probably more realistic than just about all movies in the same vein. But... I just can't like it. It just disgusts and frustrates me way too much. Underneath all the sunny sunshine presentation of the movie, there is too much darkness and depression. And I'm not saying that this is a necessarily a bad thing. It's just that, the way it's portrayed doesn't click with me. It felt me leaving very hollow and unhappy.

Then again, I am rating this more than I would rate a typical romance/drama and I'm not a fan of this genre so considering that this is a good rating. If you're into the romance genre check it out. Perhaps it's just my interpretation that's making me feel so disgusted at the movie. Like I said in my title, my views on this are pretty confused.
    This movie deserves a spot next to "When Harry Met Sally" in my DVD collection. The movie jumps back and forth in the storyline, which was a clever way to lay out the plot, but you have to pay attention, so you can keep track of how much time elapses between various key events. Great use of music. It's not explicitly stated, but the story is told from the perspective of the male lead, Tom, and thus neither you nor Tom ever quite understand why the female lead (Summer) feels or acts the way she does. This is important to know, because this is how things are in real life and often leads to frustration, especially if "Boy falls in love. Girl doesn't." Joseph Gordon-Levitt does a perfect job of making the viewer feel every high and low on Tom's 500-day journey, and Zooey Deschanel gives Summer the qualities of being both approachable and unattainable.
  • This is the story of boy meets girl, but it is not a love story that will unfurl. Instead a story about loves reactions, caused by two peoples juvenile actions

A little rhyme I wrote in honor of this years funniest and most delightful film. In January 2009 I was able to attend the Sundance Film Festival where I viewed a number of superb movies but none so genius as this one. Unable to buy or book any tickets for the original showings I sadly set my thoughts on other films, till the last day. I had changed plans and went to the ticket office to exchange one movie ticket for another. It was then that I discovered they planned to screen another showing of 500 Days of Summer, due to its immense popularity. Immediately buying a ticket, I found myself in the theater a few hours later awaiting with batted breath. I looked around me and watched as Joseph Gorden Levitt took a seat in the row behind, smiling and shaking hands with a number of fans. Although I too was a great fan I couldn't bring myself to go over there, instead I stayed in my seat and the movie started.

An hour and a half later, I was standing up and applauding for all I was worth. In fact the whole cinema was, with every single audience member whistling, clapping and laughing at the brilliance of it all. Then Joseph Gorden Levitt, (the only cast member of the film who showed up) ran on stage and started answering questions. Bubbling with enthusiasm he jumped around, laughing, yelling, and keeping the lot of us entertained. He answered the straight questions with straight answers and the silly questions with straight out of hell silly answers. And at the end ran up and down the stage filming us all with a camcorder, saying he'd remember the day forever, I sure do.

Then he went back to his seat and as everyone exited the cinema I swallowed my pride, walked up and shook his hand saying, "Amazing performance, you're an inspiration." Then it was over, I found myself being shuffled with the crowd out of the theater and into the cold outside. But even though I was in a t-shirt, I couldn't feel the chill, being instead caught up in the entertainment and thoughts of a vibrant funny film.

A film that scores high in all the boxes and one I will certainly see again.

100 out of 100.
  • juan_ice4 November 2009
    You've got Zooey Deschanel acting like the new Meg Ryan, and a looking-and-sounding-more-like-Ledger-everyday Jason Gordon-Levitt; both are decent thespians, neither have unflattering angles, reviews use the word 'quirky' more times than you can count--this is pure box office gold right here. What could go wrong?

Nothing. Or so I thought. I actually wanted to see this movie. And, despite the annoyingly sporadic bursts of applause from an overenthusiastic moviegoer, I actually didn't find it too bad. But then I watched it again. I missed the first 5 minutes, see. The longer I thought about this movie, the more I found it disturbing.

"Any resemblance to people living or dead is purely accidental...Especially Jenny Beckman...Bitch."

This movie is really about hate, revenge, and why you shouldn't date fun, interesting, and unique women.

For a movie that mentions the word 'love' more times than any movie I've seen before, it has hardly anything to substantial or significant to say about this elusive idea. Oohhhhh, so it takes TWO people to fall in love! Really?! Is that news? One will learn more about a) indie music (the Smiths are indie now, I guess), b) how to make music videos from Marc Webb, and c) how to go on fun dates by frolicking in furniture stores, record shops, and drawing on your date's arm while staring meaningfully into the distant architecture.

Tom Hansen does absolutely nothing to enrich Summer as a person; or help her confront her childhood issues. He is simply the proverbial dick in the glass case. Break glass in case of emergency. Zooey's character Summer on the other hand, inspires Tom to pursue his life's ambition to become an architect. And he even ends up with the drop-dead Minka Kelly (who receives unusually high credits for gorgeously appearing for less than 5 minutes) as a result. So despite his bitching, Tom actually came out of it better than, perhaps, Summer. The audience doesn't even see who Summer ends up marrying...the writers know they can't justify it, besides, they've built Tom up too much already. So they just leave it at some lame encounter in a café where some random schmo comments on an Oscar Wilde book she's reading. Can this movie possibly get any more indie?

If you haven't seen "When Harry Met Sally," I highly recommend watching that instead. At least you'll learn something about relationships.
    I went to see this film having heard a lot of good things and with an open mind, choosing it over Inglorious Basterds to see with my partner. I thought it might be a thoughtful alternative to the chick flicks she would prefer to see.

It is safe to say this film did not live up to my expectations. I found a lot of it very contrived and cringe worthy. The voice over was bordering on embarrassing. The attempts at humour were more miss than hit. The characterisation was lacking, particularly in the case of the male lead's friends.

The "alternative take" on boy meets girl, although present through out the film, was only really touched on towards the end and I think a lot more could have been made of it with better plot and editing. The love only becoming "unrequited" in the last 15 minutes and the director struggling to point out to the viewer the signs that we may well have missed.

All in all it was obvious what the film was trying to achieve but the fact that it was so obvious was its greatest failing. It simply tried too hard and failed too often.

Credit where credit is due I enjoyed the Bollywood style scene and thought it was quite well used in the film, although perhaps stretched a little far with the addition of the animated blue bird. A case of too many influences spoil the broth.

In my opinion this film would have been better served going to the same sort of route as Garden State and similar "emotional male" films instead of striving so hard in futility to strike out on its own.
  • 500 Days of Summer is a film that does not contain a single interesting idea although it tries so hard to say something. Films without a great message, even simple love films, are fine but the problem here: even a Hugh Grant film contains more humor, originality and soul. The events in 500 days of Summer are predictable (and even the narrative device of jumping back and forth in time cannot conceal it), the relationship between the protagonists are completely superficial, and there is not even one single interesting scene or even detail in this film. Summer and Tom are running through IKEA stores, singing Karaoke and sitting in the park. They talk about boring things in a pseudo-philosophical tone. To give a bit of an "edge" to it you got some reference to 1980s alternative music and Bergman films. Everything is in vain: the lack of chemistry between the lead actors (and their lack of talent) and the highly in-original script make this film a failure. Isn't there anything interesting to say about love anymore?
    Notable for horrendous acting and self-conscious, unconvincing dialog.

Film begins with a ridiculous voice-over purporting to "explain" the characters' motivations. Presumably the voice-over was intended so that everyone who didn't walk out then and there and ask for a refund would be clueless enough to provide that coveted "word of mouth." Then you have a ridiculous scene where the lead, hammily and unconvincingly portraying a distraught lover, is breaking plates over and over. It's not even a good cliché, it's a bad one, and executed badly too.

A few minutes later there's a ridiculous dialog bit where the girl says something nominally surprising and the guy "spits out his drink." Did the director go to some school of obvious sitcom slapstick to try and figure out his reactions? Full of overacting, pretentiousness, and cliché.
  • (5oo) Days of Summer can be summed up as Juno meets Annie Hall. The film's plot concerns an employee for a greeting card company (Tom) who can't escape his previous relationship with a girl named Summer, played by the talented Zooey Deschanel. Bits and pieces of their relationship are presented to the film viewer–out of sequence–as Tom tries to discover why everything fell apart, what he can do to get Summer back, and if love actually exists. I know. It sounds bland, but this one has several elements that push it far beyond the run-of-mill.

First, the acting is simply incredible. As I said before, Levitt wowed me with his spot-on Sam Spade impersonation in Rian Johnson's homage to noir films: Brick. In (500) Days however, Levitt sheds his hard boiled detective act and trades it in for the sensitivity and bitterness of Holden Caufield. The sensitive male role is a performance that's often exaggerated to the point where the audience often finds themselves annoyed–and even hating–the character. Levitt's Tom never losses his sympathetic appeal even when his obsession verges on obnoxious behavior in the latter part of the film.

Zooey Deschannel is incredible as a thinly veiled Annie Hall clone–Summer. She's the product of a broken home, independent, blunt with her sexuality and incredibly beautiful. This could have been such a simple role to botch. Nothing that Summer says is particularly witty or catchy, but Deschannel (just as Diane Keaton with Annie Hall) manages to make her such an intriguing character through her physical presence . Summer is not only a character that must be watched, but one that must also be read. She must be read through her facial expressions, how she moves her body, and–especially–how she looks at Tom when she's speaking to him or he is speaking to her.

The actors aren't the only ones who should be praised. Marc Webb does quite an impressive job with his directorial debut–probably the best since Zach Braff's Garden State. This story could have easily fallen to pieces in the hand of even a seasoned director but Webb rises to the challenge with the talent of virtuoso. The cinematography is never over-the-top or artsy just for the sake of being artsy. Every shot, every angle, and every neat little trick that Webb employs has its purpose. Hopefully, this film marks the beginning of a young and talented auteur's superb career.

I feel that it would be wrong not to mention the soundtrack. After all, Tom's attraction to Summer blossoms when she displays her knowledge of the Smith's catalog. The experience simply would not be nearly as enthralling without the music. Every song serves its accompanying scene splendidly and helps the viewer connect with the two leads. I would say that it's even better than the Juno and Garden State soundtracks simply because those soundtrack are more like stellar mix CDs than anything else–there is no theme or running emotion connecting the songs together. (500) Days is a different story. You can almost decipher the story just from listening to the soundtrack. The beginning tracks that deal with the yearning for a crush and the utter joy of ending up with that crush, the middle section of the CD that encompasses the fading of the joy and the eventual disintegration of the relationship, and the final portion of the soundtrack that deals with recovery from and acceptance of the lost relationship. Ultimately, it's an emotion provoking selection of music that's as vital to the movie as the acting and the directing. I would argue that (500) Days of Summer is destined to become a modern classic film, ranking along side Milk, There Will Be Blood, Garden State, Children of Men, American Psycho, and Little Miss Sunshine. Why? It's not because it's a particularly quotable film or that it's an innovative movie with some neat camera tricks. Instead, I think it will because it has a soul. It's a movie that takes a snapshot of love in the modern world and bravely presents it without removing any of the blemishes.
  • Somebody said that the film is told in an "innovative and clever narrative style". I wouldn't acknowledge as a big innovation a non-linear story with a voice over (copied from The Royal Tenenbaums). But I agree on the fact that this is the best part of the movie. Full of most poor clichés like the musical scene after Tom gets laid and the visit to Ikea (sorry, was that advertising?). I couldn't relate with any of the characters, too superficial, too weak. The soundtrack could be inspirational for a teenager, absolutely boring for anybody that has a minimum of knowledge of indie and alternative music. No edge, no inspiration, pure mediocrity. Camera work and photography are appreciable but can not make up for all the rest. Look around the web for other nonpartisan reviews.
  • Psychotic. lying. clueless and a waste of time.

And then they wonder why any man should want to have anything to with them more than the good old in n out.

As usual the nice guy loses and the johnny come lately marries the psycho.
  • solubution8 December 2009
    My 500 days of summer: @ Minute 1: some voice introduces the movie, saying that it is not a lovestory. Minute 2: I figured out that it is a lovestory. Minute 10: the movie takes a good start, promising to be something fresh, funny and original. Minute 30: It still hasn't been either fresh, funny or original. Minute 40: I'm wondering when the story is going to unfold it's plot. Minute 50: I'm realizing that this is the plot. Minute 60: I'm realizing that the movie isn't going to be fresh, funny or original. The movie is starting to get on my nerves. Minute 70: I'm thinking of walking out of the cinema. Minute 80: I know I should have. I'm walking out.

I'm sorry, I walked out at 80. What went wrong? The movie isn't aimed at people like me. I know how a real relationship looks like. I don't need somebody to tell me, I suffered through it multiple times. Feel bored movie of the year?
  • And it shows her to be liberal, disrespecting and not straight with her man.

But for heavens sake this came on free to air TV and I watched it finally aving heard about it and the woman was annoying and dark. She kept lying to the wussy man and he bought it. What a slob. Don't get me wrong I'd do her anytime but like hell. As a man I can get women but this is why i go to the spa and pick my chick and give it an hour. Hassle free and NSA
  • Why do movie and TV people insist on hiring a costume designer? Unless it is a period piece with special dress, this it totally unnecessary!!! Invariably, some chick goes overboard and runs out on Melrose to buy all the cute outfits her budget will allow. This movie is the epitome of this error. Guys in reality just do NOT put that much thought into having cute little outfits!! What planet are you people from? This guy might as well have had a Pee Wee Herman bow-tie on in every seen. No guy wears ridiculous tight vests to work every day! And all the scenes where the guy and his two buddies sit around and talk about his girlfriend Summer are just some chick writer's total fantasy!!! No guys actually do this!!! Hello???? The friend was almost eating Haagen Daas.

This movie was the epitome of idiotic movie cliché's. We are supposed to just take for granted that this chick is so hot and cute and perfect (sorry, she is frumpy and annoying and inexplicably wearing June Cleaver dresses), then we have just to work on this guy. It's exactly like the fantasy that older sisters have when they dress up their little brother. The guy is just a little play doll for chick viewers to conjure up in their chick fantasy world. "oh isn't he cute?" Nevermind that he is scrawny and totally whiny and annoying too. This also just epitomizes the idiotic schizophrenia in the warped tangle-wired woman's mind who wants both a bookish muscle man and a scrawny poet renaissance man - both exist only in their bizarro world airhead.

You filmmakers are so obviously catering to the warped fantasies of young women who have their heads screwed on backwards. Do they forget that there is also a Date being forced to watch this schlock?

This movie is one giant P.O.S. in a shiny wrapping.

Someone needs to kick the crap out of all those idiotic characters and all you idiotic women or gay filmmakers.

This is one of the most annoying movies I have ever seen.

Oh, and what's up with the idiotic narration? We can't tell what is going on for ourselves? They couldn't afford Morgan Freeman so they had to get some no-name to impersonate him? He never said anything illuminating at all!
    Blown away how godawful this was after all the rave reviews and high rating. Sadly it's yet another Hollywood BS manifesto desperately trying to reverse sexual roles, making guys pathetic naive afraid little lapdogs having to request permission to breathe and women sexual predators of assumed greater worldly knowledge and maturity. They shout jump and the guy asks how high. Everything coming out of Hollywood that concerns relationships now is a slave to this toxic formula. I don't know if it's enjoyable/empowering for women but I don't see how it can be anything other than offensive and ridiculous to any straight guy. It's just transparent garbage that bears no reflection on the real world, though I'm sure it's how those churning out this garbage would just love to remould the real world. Shame cos clearly JGL and ZD are competent actors given a decent script and there was some real innovative ideas played out in this, and some great music to boot, but all just massively overshadowed beyond repair by this horrific story of this poor sad sap willingly being manipulated and treated like a piece of crap by this bizarre 2D controlling witch whose only driving force seemed to be to f#ck him up in the head for kicks. And anyone who's struggled out there trying to go from their plan B career to what they think they ought to be doing must've been mortified like I was at the 2 minute happy-dappy montage where he's turning himself out to job interviews. Yeah right like that's even gonna happen if you're saddled with a broken heart. I can only assume the screenwriter here has no actual real world experience of being a man, heterosexual relationships, or the 21st century job market. My god I thought movies like this were meant to entertain you, not leave you feeling like strangling kittens. This one should come with a health warning.