User Reviews (869)

• FeastMode16 June 2022
    This movie isn't terrible. But it's not good. As a comedy it fails. I laughed only a few times, almost exclusively at the cat. Most of the jokes were crickets in my audience and a bunch made me roll my eyes.

As a sci-fi movie it fails. It gives us the most basic child version of several sci-fi concepts stolen from other movies like Interstellar. And if you think for more than a few seconds, so much of it doesn't make sense. There was a cool fight scene and a couple of good action moments, but for the most part I found myself not caring about the action.

The movie does this thing where it keeps throwing a wrench in the plan, creating obstacles that the characters must overcome. This is normally a good strategy and makes any later success feel earned and satisfying. But every obstacle is a result of dumb characters, silly mistakes, or simply being clumsy. This makes it hard to stay invested. When this strategy is executed better, there is a much better reason for the obstacles, such as a really smart antagonist.

Late in the movie, it goes in a direction that I wasn't a fan of. And we get a few ridiculously cheesy moments, one that made me cringe so hard it hurt. The great animation doesn't make this worth watching.

P. S. The mid- and post-credits scenes are absolutely not worth the wait. (1 viewing, early screening IMAX 6/15/2022)
  • bbevis-4795420 June 2022
    I enjoyed the first thirty minutes or so of Lightyear. The pacing was decent and the humor/heart was in the right place. Once the twist in the trailer happens the story becomes a beautifully predictable entry for Pixar, and my five year old became incredibly antsy to leave the theater. Socks steals the show but that isn't enough to enliven a boring plot. Wait for Lightyear to stream on Disney+.
  • It wasn't the best Pixar film but it definitely wasn't the worst. Why it gets such a low score on here I'll never know. I'll admit the trailer did make it look better than it actually was but it was still decent and funny.
  • jpmock24 July 2022
    Wow I just can't believe the bad reviews. I use imdb scores and written reviews religiously and 95% of the time u think they are spot on. I watched this with my family and we were all very entertained throughout the entire movie. That should say enough. It was pretty well done and interesting.
    Lightyear is a spin-off the Toy Story franchise, and a film-within-a-film, as the intro text has it as the movie that resulted in Andy getting his Buzz Lightyear action figure. In this, Buzz Lightyear tests a new hyperfuel for Star Command that ends up taking him 84 years into the future, where the colony on T'Kani Prime is taken over by the evil Zurg, forcing him to recruit a team of misfits to fight back.

Okay, I am not going to lie, as a fan of the Toy Story films and the Buzz Lightyear of Star Command cartoon (which Pixar hates so much, they made this movie to retcon it), I am not impressed. While I have heard about the controversy, I will not put that into focus due to people already talking about it to the point of overkill (as it was a cut scene Disney reinstated as a form of protest). While I did like Chris Evans voicing Buzz (as he is a spot on with Tim Allen and Patrick Warburton), my main complaint with this film is that it's not up to the standards we know Pixar to be capable of with films like Luca, Turning Red, and their classics like The Incredibles, Monsters Inc, and of course, Toy Story. The story is a subpar science fiction story involving time travel and misfit heroes, which have all been done a lot. Also, a lot of the characters are a hit or miss. While I did like Sox, the robot cat who is Buzz's main companion, a lot of the others, Izzy, Mo, and Darby I did not like so much, as while they are unique, like Darby being paranoid and a paroled convict, they don't hold a candle to Mira Nova, XL, and Booster, who will be the true Team Lightyear to me. Even Zurg suffers from this, as the twist about his identity, while I will not spoil, seems a bit cliche, and I will treat as non-canon. Yeah, while it's not the worst Pixar film, it's not one of the good ones, and I recommend sticking to the classic Toy Story films as well as finding episodes of Buzz Lightyear of Star Command on sites that upload cartoons until Disney has the right mind to put the series on Disney+
  • Balnyetnikoff17 June 2022
    I saw this in the theater with my 6 year old. She fell asleep and I almost did too...boring, nonsensical, inconsistent, and worst of all, not funny. What was the point?

Should have been free to watch on Disney plus.
    6.4/10

The nostalgia was there for ten minutes and then it went away as the story trails away into something that just didn't sit right. While we never got firm info about Buzz's origins in the "Toy Story" films. This isn't what I expected for his story. I expected this to be an emotional journey, but there were maybe three moments where a tear was shed. The rest was just "empty" space.

The voice acting was good. Chris Evans sounded like Buzz and brought the character to life. The surrounding characters were just as enjoyable. Definitely some funny moments amongst them. I did get a few laughs out, but it felt forced sometimes to be able to enjoy the film.

The film definitely looked, and sounded, great, but it didn't do enough to grasp a love for the character, or the story. Honestly, I don't think this film was for adults to reach back to the childhood nostalgia, but rather its for a new generation to make the character it's own meaning. Flip side to Buzz was Zurg. Zurg was perhaps the biggest disappointment with how they portrayed him. Who he was in "Toy Story" is not the same as who is here, and again, it didn't sit right.

I think the biggest thing is to forget the trailer. Go in with an open-mind and make of it what you will. The kids in the theatre seemed to have loved.

Overall, not the outstanding film I was expecting even with all the great visual and sound. The story lacked expectations for a nostalgic character, but wasn't necessarily terrible, so again, go in with an open-mind.

Thank you for reading my review. Until next time.... Enjoy the show!
  • mattstone13718 June 2022
    "In 1997, a child named Andy bought a Buzz Lightyear action figure after seeing the character in his favorite movie. This is that movie." These sentences precede Lightyear, a gorgeously realized and superbly animated film which has also been finely calculated and sterilized to assuage those who greenlit its production. Despite its visual splendor, Lightyear is not always easy to look at, with the knowledge that a soulless, artless, superficial corporate entity has hollowed out the insides, and is wearing the film like a glossy, finely crafted skinsuit.

The film follows Buzz Lightyear as he attempts to bring home a crew aboard "The Turnip" an exploratory vessel used by Star Command. His attempts bring about strange consequences with time, and he is quickly thrust into an unfamiliar timeline with a trio of unlikely helpers, including the teenaged granddaughter of his compatriot, Izzy Hawthorne. Together, they must stop a robot invasion and complete the mission Buzz began almost a century ago.

There are a number of threads and disparate qualities to Lightyear, many of wildly varying quality, but one thing is certain; this is a proudly corporate and sterilized product. This nagging fact presents itself with the aforementioned opening lines, a reminder that the film currently being watched is explicitly and purposefully nothing more than a product consumed by a child twenty-five years ago. The message is stated not only to help Disney merchandise the film, but to remind and entice their audience about the wonderful array of products present under their corporate umbrella, their distressingly tightening grip on all entertainment. The sentiment registers early and often; this is not story, this is product.

This corporate slavishness manifests itself in the typical risk-aversion attitude and spinelessness of contemporary Hollywood. Lightyear is bland; not visually, but in its story, in most of its directorial choices, and its tone. It's a painstakingly manufactured blandness, meticulously constructed to smooth over or erase the rough edges of human complication. The nature of the story and the moodiness of the animation call for a mature telling, but the writers and producers of the film clearly aren't interested in mining any potential emotional complexity or intrigue.

Another irritating and telling sign of Lightyear's men-in-suits meddling is its frantic pace and fear of looking death in the eye. Buzz's story here is actually quite tragic, a futuristic vision of uncontrolled loss and temporal grief akin to Interstellar or Ad Astra. A film more attuned with its characters and their psychological needs and nightmares would nurture this tragedy, use it to frame their journey early and often. Lightyear not only blows by this thread in the pursuit of lubricating its plot, but its final twist runs totally counter to Buzz's previous motivations and desires. Buzz is not allowed to feel true human-like grief because he's not human. He's merchandise. The same could be said for all other characters.

A counterargument arises: "It's just a kid's film!" But if there's any animation studio which has shown the propensity for mature children's programming in the past, it's Pixar Animation. Even goofier franchises, like Kung Fu Panda, have occasionally hit emotional paydirt because the writers were aligned with their characters, psychologically and plot-wise. When Po learns of his parents' death at the hands of Lord Shen, he mourns, and the film mourns with him. He's allowed time to focus within and process the information. He doesn't immediately stumble onto a new plot point, he doesn't mindlessly enter into a final confrontation, he doesn't make any insipid quips. Buzz Lightyear, when presented with emotionally charged material, does all three...though not in that order.

The writing is simply too cartoonish for the material presented, in terms of both visual awe and narrative substance. No character is fleshed out beyond a few superficial quirks. The trio which accompanies Buzz succeeds too often in spite of themselves, careening jollily from one set piece to the next with no recognition of the stakes or danger within the film.

All four characters are at least twenty-two years of age, but consistently behave like children, hooting and hollering in the face of clear and present danger. Just quip, quip, quip, quip, quip. No setups, no punchlines, few personality-driven situations; just quip, quip, quip, as if the film were ghostwritten by a prepubescent James Gunn. Again, this approach usually works in lighter, lower-staked children's material, but Lightyear promises to be something more early on. The immediacy and frequency with which the film reneges on that promise is incredibly frustrating.

There is a final problem with Lightyear which is difficult to describe without spoiling. Buzz makes an all-cinema selfish decision at the film's climax, which is inexplicably framed as heroic and unquestionably morally correct. The decision is framed as such in no small part because of Disney's creative bankruptcy. It's a sad reality that the company most noted for typifying villainous roles and creating memorable, distinct, and creative threats has succumbed to believing that no one individual is ever a true villain. Everyone is simply misunderstood or morally gray. It's a shame. Another small but relevant note is the film's general lack of structure or causality. The whole endeavor feels generally purposeless, and the film struggles to sustain itself.

As mentioned, for all of the film's narrative and emotional problems, there is an incredible team using unbelievable technology at work. The animators of Lightyear have created a stunning, immersive, and moody alien environment. It's staggering to look back at the original Toy Story and realize just how far the medium has come. Extensive and frequent credit must be given to the artists at work, who are undoubtably the best of their craft. Many of the sequences feel like hyper-stylized renderings of recent sci-fi extravaganzas, like the aforementioned Ad Astra or Interstellar, with just a sprinkling of 2001: A Space Odyssey for good measure. Some of the film's images are truly breathtaking.

All in all, Lightyear is a typically disappointing and spiritless stab to create new life from old IP. There are many problems with the film's writing, but the central issue is Lightyear's eponymous caricature. The audience is told Andy wanted a Buzz toy after seeing this movie; even beyond the transparent cynicism of such a statement, it's hard to even believe at face value. This film's Buzz Lightyear is a mostly incompetent, insecure, rash, and boneheaded figure. Younger viewers will probably enjoy the space-age antics, but most out of grade school will feel the familiar tinge of disappointment. What could've been!
  • Let's be clear here: Disney is lying through their teeth. When you buy a Maui doll from Moana, you get Dwayne Johnson's voice. Disney pretending that because it's an origin story it requires a different voice actor is one of the most feeble attempts ever to avoid backlash. If it had been an origin story of Woody, you can be damn sure Disney would have cast Tom Hanks.

With that out of the way, does this origin story of the Buzz toy bring Pixar a worthy return to theatrical releases? Absolutely not. This very much feels like it should have been the third Disney+ release after Luca and Turning Red. The visuals, while not the best from Pixar, are still quite good. Chris Evans does his best to fill Allen's shoes and his performance is palatable once you get over the change. But what is ultimately lacking here is any heart or substantive story. Attempting to be 'real life' events makes the whole plot feel fabricated beyond an already hardly believable story.

There isn't a universe here where I want get lost in, and frankly, I don't think many viewers will, either...
  • This film seems to spark a lot of people to say that this film is completely terrible or that it's completely fabulous because it included a gay relationship in the periphery of the main story, and to an even lesser extent, a convict character who is sympathetic. So. I'll address that quickly: None of that seemed like a big selling-point or issue with the movie to me. And those reviewer who make the movie all about those things seem to say more about themself in their review than the movie itself.

Overall I found the movie better than what I was expecting based on it's IMDB score, but still far from being a Pixar classic.

The animation is very good, the story is solid even if it feels like a lot of the ideas have been done before in different ways and feels like a few ideas didn't quite work as well as possible. In some ways it reminded me of an inferior "Up". The main protagonist's circumstance were less sympathetic and more a result of his actual decisions. Overall I wonder how the movie would have looked if it had explored a B storyline for another character during some of the time-jumps. I also think the twist could have been established a little better than it was.

The voice acting for the film is fine. I didn't think a lot of the comedy landed well for me. But it wasn't awful like a lot of kids movies either and didn't detract much from the drama of the main story. Overall it will be acceptable to most audiences, with the robot cat being a likely favorite character for many viewers. Most kids will probably like it a bit more than adults and not notice or care much about the politically controversial content unless their guardians have already primed them to have an major opinion about it like them.

I'd say it's a good time at the theater and better than the average score right now of 5.8. But don't expect it to be a classic Pixar film like Coco, Up, Walle, or Toy Story 1-3.
  • I was disappointed. We expected more from this movie. The storyline was okay. The cat was cute, but that was it. Could've made a movie based on the cat and it would've been better. Buzz Lightyear is not the same without Tim Allen voicing the character. Two thumbs down.
  • My 7 and 8 year old were bored so much they almost fell asleep. I didn't notice if they actually did, because I did.

The robot cat scenes were the best parts by far. Which is a huge problem.

THIS was Andy's favorite movie? That had to be a lie.
  • RRiley994517 June 2022
    Second Pixar in a row that I couldn't get into at all. The other one was Turning Red. The artwork in both is tremendous but what used to separate Pixar from the rest of the pack was the depth of feelings. That wasn't here at all. I didn't give a hoot about the characters at all.
  • I think this movie fails in alot of aspects to be a children movie from having very dull moments that bore kids to having more complex stories compared to other kids movies.

That leaves us Adults and I don't have to explain why most adults would go watch movies like top gun and jurassic world instead of this one.

Overall movie can't find its audience that's why I predict a massive failure here.
  • Honest i was not really sure about this movie since its straight out of toy story.

But it delivered and was really exciting, not sure why people are giving it low ratings, and also bad reviews.
  • It just had too many things meant for adults. There is just no way a little boy would enjoy this film. Andy's favorite film? Hardly. Maybe it was Andy's mothers favorite film. It read more like a soap opera with lots of sci-fi footage forced into it. It was technically very well done. Its just the characters and story that were no good at all for kids. But then I was there, and I was bored too.

Zerg was actually not bad. The cat was good too. But there wasn't enough of that to help. The movie's problem is that it centers on very ordinary adult characters. Star Command is run by a cartoon General Millie and the losers at your job who now thankfully work from home/got laid off. If this was real, you know Zerg would have won easily a hundred times over. If Andy was a single woman I could sort of see him liking this film. The super cool rockets do make this film a lot better, but they dont make it enjoyable for child or adult.
  • I was excited to see lightyear even with the lack of Tim Allen but as the movie progressed it was clear this was a shallow attempt at bringing back the classic feel that the original Pixar movies had this was just so bland and emotionless.it really didn't feel like a Pixar film at all.
  • bryvill13 July 2022
    Honestly, I was quite hesitant seeing this film after seeing a lot of low reviews. I was planning to see it weeks ago and keep cancelling it, then I gave it a chance finally last night. I was initially expecting not too much, but surprisingly, it was good! A lot of emotional connections, wacky comedy and as always, visuals were at its best. If you just go see it, have an open mind and just enjoy the film as is. I do understand why many viewers gave a low rating, the pacing is not that exciting as a whole, need more plot surprises or twists, the tone of the flick is cater for older audiences or young audiences who like a bit a serious tone of animation. Again , go see it, you'll enjoy it!
  • When 4th graders ask to leave the theatre before a Pixar is over, there are real problems. It wasn't bad, but it just wasn't good. The humour falls flat with wooden delivery, and Pixar found a way to make the characters dull.
  • Disney continues to run out of good ideas. They really can't just make something new for a change. The Toy Story universe should be dead right now and to be fair, they should never have made Toy Story 4 either. What a joke!
    Not good. This movie wasn't about Buzz, but was about Izzy and her grandmother (sorry I can't remember her name, she is equally forgettable).

And Buzz chooses a terrible untrained group of misfits who screws up EVERYTHING over the trained people for Star Command? Please!?! Awful.
  • m179617 June 2022
    Save your money and go watch another movie, I wish they stopped with Toy Story movies, this movie is not necessary and terrible. And it's a bit too late for it, anyway, even the story and the voice acting were bad.
  • The bar was set pretty high for this movie, theres no denying that. Everyone was expecting a stellar, epic sci-fi adventure movie, and what we got was... not that.

The movie had a pretty promising start, but as it went on it incrementally kept sinking down. Now to be fair, the first 2 acts of the movie actually werent bad. It wasnt "excellent" by any means either, but i would say that it flew just a little below the line the trailers had set for itself.

Its the third act where everything started falling apart. The villain was terribly written and weak, i get that they wanted to really push the movies moral with him but they handled it poorly. Not spoiling anything but they really screwed the movie up with that part

the characters were a bit of a bixed bag as well, some were good, others were forgettable. Buzz, izzy, and sox were all fairly enjoyable characters, mo and darby were unbearlbly bland and could have just been written out of the movie entirely.

So yeah, painfully average at best. Not something i would recommend seeing in theaters. When it comes out on disney plus give it a try at home.
  • We all know what a lazy cuckoo bird does, it lays an egg in other birds' nest and their offspring then push the other eggs and chicks out of it so that they can get all the food, nest space and get raised as an imposter.

Meanwhile mummy and daddy cuckoo go off and do their own thing with zero responsibility.

Lightyear does exactly that, it's coasts on the Toy Story legacy, feeding off it whilst adding absolutely nothing. It has no reason to exist within that universe.

It's an imposter film shamelessly created by Disney to sell more merchandise; it even adds more cute characters such as a robotic cat which I'm sure many kids will be seduced by thereby making their parents ring those tills for Disney till Christmas time.

Story wise it's terrible and lazily written, I was bored and clock watching to wait for it to finish. Not many movies have had this affect.

Buzz Lightyear is a washed-up loser in this film and evokes none of the heroism the Tim Allen version had. If Andy supposedly saw this in the cinema that made him want a Buzz Lightyear toy according to the start of the film, I would question Andy's taste in hero's!. It's supposed to be his favourite film.

The other animation output from Disney of late such as Turning Red, Encanto and Luca have been forgettable as well. Are we witnessing the decline of quality Disney story telling ?? ....it's all pointing to this unfortunately.

Soul was probably the last film that I really enjoyed, and repeated viewings still hold up as a fantastic film with a clear message about living your life in a good way and being mindful of the wonderful things life has to offer, even at times you don't always see it. It's also touching and beautifully dreamlike.

Lightyear has none of this since the film has no soul, it has been manufactured without any desire to have a philosophical angle to have a message about positivity.

The cinema today was muted, I barely heard much laughter from anyone or excitement at what they were watching, which gave me the uncomfortable feeling this has zero magic for cinema goers to go and invest in this. I expect this to drop off very quickly from the box office once word of mouth gets around.

This was better off on Disney+
  • I should've waited this movie to be on disney plus, the story does not feel like the pixar magic even the good dinosaur is more entertaining than this. The only parts i like are the sox part he steals the show, and if this movie gets a sequel and sox steals the show again i will be sad because everyone including me expect so much from this movie.