User Reviews (316)

• jmbellin29 June 2009
    Well, if I could split the movie into two, I would say that the first half is a superb Proposal and the second half is fairly traditional Hollywood pablum. In the first half, the wonderful comedic timing and chemistry between Bullock and Reynolds was terrific. The writing was first-rate intellectual, snappy sparring, even throwing in some literary references in the put-downs. Kudos to the Director, Anne Fletcher, and the Screenwriter, Pete Chiarelli.

The completely different tone in the second half, I surmise, could only be attributed to the studios/producers stepping in and stating that the film must appeal to a wider audience. We, then, get lots of family characters thrown in, with a great reduction of Bullock and Reynolds mutual screen time. And when they do share time in the second half, it's more about slapstick/physical humor (cue studios/producers needing appeal to wider, a.k.a, younger audience). Maudlin music comes in on the soundtrack, letting us know that this part of the movie is supposed to tug on our heartstrings.

I don't buy the inevitable resolution either. I don't believe that it is supported well or justified by what came before it.

The 1st 45 minutes is WELL worth seeing. I wish the filmmakers could have pushed and maintained the pace and feel for the entire movie. Reynolds and Bullock are so good, they could be this generation's Tracy and Hepburn. I'd like to see them in another project that follows through all the way.

BTW, this film was actually shot in Boston and (the Alaska scenes) in Manchester by the Sea and Rockport on the North Shore with digital effects adding snow capped mountains. You might even recognize Motif No.1, a famous small building on a wharf in Rockport which has been the subject of many famous painters' and photographers' work. It was also fun seeing some of my local Boston area acting colleagues doing background work in the film.
  • Although the movie is predictable, like most romance comedies are, nevertheless it was sweet. Sure a bit unrealistic in terms of the time line of the whole plot takes place but this is why we have movies like this, so you can escape into the fantasy of romance and humor. If you are looking for realism then watch a 3 hour drama, but if you want to escape for awhile and just enjoy a movie you don't have to think too much about then it's worth your time. If you don't want to pay to go see it in the theater, then wait for it to come out on DVD. I saw it during a private screening as part of the ATL Film Festival, for close to two hours I thought of nothing else and laughed and even cried a bit. I would definitely see it again. It may not be the best romantic comedy I have seen but the movie still holds lots of charm.
  • The Proposal isn't going to win any Oscars, nor will it become your favourite movie of all time. However, it does exactly what it is supposed to do; that is to entertain you. The Proposal is the story of a tough editor Margaret Tate (Bullock) who forces her assistant Andrew Tate (Ryan Reynolds) to marry her so she can stay in the U.S. (Interestingly, in the movie Bullock plays a Canadian and Reynolds an American while in real life, the reverse is true). What happens next will not surprise viewers but they will get many laughs along the way. Reynolds and Bullocks are very funny and also very believable. Betty White (from the Golden Girls) almost steals the show as Andrew's 90 year old "Gammy". The beautiful Alaskan setting doesn't hurt things either. Overall this is not a unique movie or even a unique role for Bullock but it is a very funny (and fun) way to spend an afternoon.
  • My jaw is still aching, almost an hour and a half after the credits rolled. I don't recall when I last laughed this consistently and heartfelt at a new production. Yes, this is pretty formulaic stuff... if you've seen one mismatched couple romantic comedy, you've seen them all. This never claimed to be anything other than that. It definitely delivers what one expects from the genre, without any of it being phoned in or taken any less seriously. Not every film needs to revolutionize the craft, and shape cinema for decades to come. If everything was excellent, it would become the norm, and it would cease to be special. And I find it incredible and immensely positive that a movie with this kind of humor(observational, and largely derived from typical situations that happen to everyone) can still be made, and be nicely received. Humiliation and pain are not actually funny. They get a schadenfreude reaction, "thank goodness that didn't happen to me", and thus we move further apart, isolate ourselves all the more. This does the opposite, letting us get closer to each other, share the little things that we've forgotten are silly or "off" in our everyday lives. It does go a tad too far on occasion, to get the audience going, but those instances are few in number. The acting is great all-round, and the two leads have chemistry, and play off each other well. There are countless memorable sequences, jokes and gags in this. This contains "moments" between Bullock and Reynolds, as well, and they genuinely work. You feel for them. The characters are just about invariably well-written, interesting and credible. In general, the script is well-done. The music is pleasant and well-chosen. This ought to entertain nearly everyone, of any age. There is a little strong and/or risqué language, and a couple of usually mild sexual references, and this tends to be inoffensive. I recommend this to all who think they may enjoy it. Chances are that you're right. 8/10
  • We went into this movie more or less out of despair; the cinema offerings seemed uniformly lousy and we simply wanted to see a movie that looked like fun. This one looked stupid: I'd seen Betty White promoting the movie on Jimmy Fallon's show and the scene shown was idiotic, though it did have a couple of amusing lines. Well, we were all pleasantly surprised. The outcome of the plot might be predictable, but the road getting there is surprisingly sharp and entertaining. There are quite a few witty lines and exchanges, and the delivery and timing of the two stars and, of course, of Betty White are just about perfect. Both of the lead characters have surprises in their backgrounds to reveal, and the settings are beautiful. There are one or two scenes that are clunkers, but even the dopey episode with White's Grandma Annie doing a ritualistic dance in the woods ends up having some relevance to a later plot event. The movie is well thought-out and well executed, and the actors create characters who engage us, even if we don't know anyone quite like them in our own lives.
  • Most charming Sandra Bullock movie since While You Were Sleeping, though quite a bit more predictable. (Anyone who knows the general premise can guess how the movie is going to play out.) But it was funny and sweet, and if you need to choose something to take your wife/girlfriend to, choose this one.

Sandy's attempting a Miranda Priestly-type character (Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada) which doesn't actually suit her acting style very well, but when you get used to her she's fun to watch. And she has great comic timing. So does Ryan Reynolds for that matter, who has a way of just looking perplexed that can make you snicker.
  • Okay, I had been really excited to see The Proposal ever since it came out. I was hyping it up a lot when I knew it wasn't going to be a masterpiece, but I just love Sandra Bullock and Betty White and couldn't wait to get my hands on this film! When I did, it definitely lived up to my expectations.

The thing with The Proposal was you could predict the ending and predict some events that would be happening throughout the film and some of the main problems were cliché, but I wasn't basing my opinions on this movie to be,"Is it going to be predictable, because if it is, I won't like it!" No, I wasn't like that, because I knew this film was going to be predictable here and there, but I was looking to see if they made it enjoyable and at least brought some fresh, new material to the table, which they certainly did that! I thought some scenes were just so wonderfully done and the whole movie itself was constructed perfectly for the type of movie that it is.

I had a really good time watching The Proposal and thought it was great entertainment with insanely lovable characters; I wanted to shriek with joy every time I saw Grandma Annie; a lot of incredibly humorous scenes at times, my favorites were when Margaret and Grandma Annie were dancing to the spirits which got the biggest laughs out of any part of the movie from me and when the dog was picked up by an eagle and Margaret was chasing it around trying to get her phone back; both hysterical, and some questionable, yet sweet and charming dialogue; Near the end in the office was cute and original, and the credits were funny as well with the dialogue in them. This movie while being cliché, as I've stated many times, did still pack a very powerful punch and made me laugh, cry and enjoy it tremendously, so therefore it succeeded in what it was meant to do in the first place and that was to entertain. I loved it for the light-hearted, pleasant and fun comedy that it is....
    The moment when pushy boss Margaret Tate (Sandra Bullock) suddenly forces her unsuspecting, docile, but ever-so-hunky young assistant Andrew Paxton (Ryan Reynolds) to tell her superiors they're to be married so she won't be deported back to her native Canada, there's a certain awkward amusement. But it's more in the way Ryan Reynolds plays it than the situation, as written -- our unease, and the actor's. If there is such a thing as "reality," this ain't it. What's a Ken-doll type like Ryan Reynolds doing in a job like this? The answer is, waiting for this moment. Otherwise, if you had the sort of guy who might really be doing this sort of job, you wouldn't have a romantic comedy, and that's what the makers of the elaborately lame The Proposal are reaching for.

It's not just that the assistant would probably be gay, or a young woman, as are Meryl Streep's in The Devil Wears Prada. Well, yes, it is, in a way. The author of the Prada book had worked for Anna Wintour. This ill-conceived book editor is feared by everyone on the floor just like the editor of Vogue. But although she seems ready to fire anyone she doesn't like, she does nothing but read unsolicited manuscripts while riding an exercise bike and coax well-known authors into doing Oprah. Her assistant, who presumably takes care of everything else, is an aspiring writer and editor, but he still looks like a guy who spends most of his time at the gym.

The standard Forties material -- sparring guy-and-gal fall in love -- has to stand the test of 21st-century role-reversals, boss-lady, servile man. But the real problem is the serious lack of chemistry between Bullock and Reynolds. This is role for Katharine Hepburn, who could be imperious, overbearing, elegant, but very feminine. If only Ryan Reynolds were Cary Grant, but needless to say, he isn't. He's not suave, merely fresh and pleasant. The best you can say for him is that despite his bulky muscles he looks okay in a suit. The wardrobe department are the unsung heroes of this film. But it's not that Reynolds or Bullock does bad work, just that the writing sucks.

The movie doesn't manage to establish Margaret's dominance or Andrew's competence before the plot gets its sendoff. Instead, off they go to Alaska to meet his family on a weekend when the Paxtons plan to celebrate the ninetieth birthday of Andrew's Grandma Annie (Betty White). Clearly, Andrew realizes he now has the upper hand. Margaret threatens to fire him if he doesn't cooperate, but she has more to lose. And so he sets out to make her experience in Alaska hell.

But the new venue takes over and the comedy gets lost in the surprises Andrew's family offers. The Paxtons turn out to be by far the richest people in the remote town of Sitka (no, not Sitcom). This is the lazy way to handle the situation, so long as the filmmakers have the budget for it, which they do: poshness is so generic, so Hollywood. On hand are Craig T. Nelson from The Family Stone and Mary Mary Steenburgen from a couple more raucous but equally bad family comedies, 'Step Brothers' and 'Four Christmases.' And veteran Betty White, whose energy at 87 is admirable, but whose eccentric old lady role is annoying and cloying.

Anne Fletcher lacks inventiveness and finesse in staging the standard situations. When Andrew has to jump into bed with Margaret in the morning when mom brings in breakfast (the Paxtons are rich, but they still do all the work in their mansion, except at party time), the sequence is drawn-out and unfunny. When the still-unfriendly couple accidentally fall on top of each other while naked, it's more clunky than cute: they're like big icky wet statues. It's better not even to talk about the omnipresent Ramone, played by Oscar Nuñez of "The Office," who apparently somebody thinks is funny enough to be a waiter, a general store manager, an erotic dancer, and the minister for a wedding ceremony. The erotic dancer part is excruciating. Only in Sitka, not, hopefully, in any other movie. Did the filmmakers bring in an actor from "The Office" to make up for how poorly they developed the office scenes earlier in the movie?

Oh yes, and there's other fun stuff like an eagle chasing a puppy and then flying off with Margaret's cell phone instead; Betty White chanting around a fire with a rug; Betty Steenbergen looking harried; and Craig T. Nelson driving biodegradable golf balls into the bay. When the two would-be lovebirds return to New York and tell the immigration officer they're in love for real now and willing to undergo his scrutiny, he says "Let's do it!"

Let's not.
  • Producer/star Sandra Bullock turns out what looks like another box office smash. Typical of most "chick-flicks," the trailer tells you just about everything you're going to see. Unexpectedly, though, the surprises come from behind the scenes. The film looks gorgeous (and not just the two lead actors): the prettiness of the interior sets is matched by the choice of locations. While much of the film is set amidst the beauty of a seaside town in Alaska, even New York City is made to look like something out of a story book. It hasn't looked this good since the era of Doris Day. Typical of such a film, the costumes, even on the extras in the background, are so well-coordinated with the locations that the whole thing feels like a "realist fantasy."

Likewise, the plot itself is reminiscent of the romantic comedies of half a century ago - complete with their morality, albeit updated enough in a post-feminist era for Ryan Reynolds' masculinity to function credibly in "the Doris Day role." This he handles extremely well, although Sandra Bullock deserves most of the praise. As a producer, she knows her on- screen strengths and weaknesses, and, most importantly, she knows her audience and, despite the hard-nosed ice-queen she chooses to play here, everyone will continue to love her. Frankly, I was surprised to see so many empty seats at the sneak-preview last night in Boston, but I hope that doesn't get the filmmakers down. The audience loved this film and it's going to get positive word-of-mouth from whoever sees it - young or old. It's going to be around for a long time.
    This is yet another predictable romantic comedy. The only difference is that Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock make it tolerable, and even a little entertaining. Ryan Reynolds stars as Andrew Paxton, a servant to Margaret Tate (Sandra Bullock). They hate each other. But when Margaret figures out she's being deported since she's not an American citizen she turns to Andrew. They say they are getting married. Andrew's Grandma Annie (Betty White, the best part of the film) is turning 90, so they go to Alaska, where Annie and Andrew's parents live. We then enter the cliché parents. Grace (Mary Steenburgen), his wacky mother, and Joe (Craig T. Nelson), his uptight dad. This is not very entertaining. The laughs mostly come from Ryan Reynolds' calm personality. He just has a way of making me entertained. There's also Oscar Nunez, who plays Oscar on TV's The Office, playing Ramone. He will remind you of an aspect of Local Hero. This is not a good movie, but it might just be worth renting just for the mild entertainment. On second thought, you can just skip it.
  • The Proposal is a hard film not to enjoy but it's an even harder film to admire. Aside from the two exceptional lead performances from Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock and the humour they create, the story is dowsed in clichés and left to drown. I need a film to at least be thoroughly realistic if not authentic, and the tired screenplay often delves into slapstick and camp when it should have let the leads carry the film.

Bullock and Reynolds ooze charisma in all scenarios here, and their chemistry is what anchors the film firmly in watchability, even elevating the film at times to outright excellence. And to The Proposal's credit for every cliché it puts forth, we often get a quick rebuttal of charm, but which ultimately asks the question, why in the first place? I am almost tempted to follow in critic gene Siskel's footsteps and swear off watching movie trailers, because all the best line are in the promotional material; I don't mean they are the only good lines, simply that they would have made the film even more enjoyable had they been fresh. Directed by Anne Fletcher, who has already had rom-com success with Step Up and 27 Dresses, takes a chance with Bullock in my opinion as most would have good with a younger, hot-at-the-moment star. She does not disappoint and in her role as boss, Bullock is certainly suited; imagine that, a character that looks their supposed age.

The plot is certainly one of contrivance, as are with most romantic comedies today, with the stern manger of a publishing firm (Bullock) essentially blackmailing her younger assistant Andrew (Reynolds) into marrying her so she can save herself from deportation and stay in the U.S. It just so happens of course, that it is Andrew's grandmother's birthday that very weekend and is heading up to Alaska for the celebration. Trapped in secluded north, will this faux engagement become something real? The worst scenes of the film take place in the office, with the underlings of the tyrannical boss quite literally diving for cover upon her arrival. We have surely seen in films like Office Space and The Devil Wears Prada that a work scenario can combine humour with realism without the need for the employees to act like Looney Toones characters. My first impression of the time frame in which evil over bearer and ambitious assistant fall in love was that of annoyance as such feelings would never form so quickly. However I may have initially judged too harshly, as is nicely illustrated, Andrew and Margaret only have each other. Andrew is ambitious and loyal, knowing everything about Margaret, and in turn Margaret is so dedicated to her job without any semblance of a personal life, he is her only true confidante and slowly the scenario becomes slightly less preposterous.

The Alaskan scenery is beautiful, and the supporting cast including the delightful Betty White, Mary Steenburgen and Craig T Nelson make for a well rounded and talented cast. My absolute favourite member, which perhaps not coincidently my favourite part of the film, is Malin Akerman as an old flame of Andrew's. It was so refreshing to see an ex portrayed as a nice, honest human being instead of a vengeful witch and it is these intermittent moments of true human emotion that wouldn't make me turn this film off if I happened by it again; even if I wouldn't seek it out on my own accord.

Read all my reviews at www.simonsaysmovies.blogspot.com
  • Even though it so clearly apes the set-up of David Frankel's "The Devil Wears Prada", I think the first 25 minutes of this 2009 romantic comedy has genuine snap enhanced by the sharp comedy interplay between stars Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds. Once the story leaves the Manhattan publishing house for the pastoral wilderness of Alaska, the story reverts into a formulaic sitcom bearing more than a passing resemblance to Bullock's break-out vehicle, 1995's "While You Were Sleeping", including an escalation of comic deceptions and a heart-tugging wedding confessional. Give credit to the fortyish actress/producer for not giving in too much to standard ingénue behavior this time. In fact, she plays the alpha dog with Reynolds relegated to the traditional leading lady role. The result produces enough contrived shenanigans to please Bullock's die-hard fans thanks to by-the-numbers work by director Anne Fletcher ("27 Dresses") and first-time screenwriter Pete Chiarelli.

The storyline has Bullock playing vituperative book editor Margaret Tate, a workaholic careerist who instills fear into her entire office. As her bullied assistant Andrew Paxton, Reynolds caters to her every whim in the hopes that she will help boost his publishing career. As is typical for an opposites-attract rom-com, a complication occurs when Margaret, a Canadian, finds out she is to be deported because her visa application has been denied. Instead of facing immediate termination, she manipulates Andrew to let her superiors know that they are getting married. This moment of desperate deceit leads to an awkward visit with an immigration agent who senses a green-card arrangement and requires proof of their relationship. In order to avert suspicion, Margaret accompanies Andrew to visit his close-knit family in Sitka, Alaska, where it is revealed his family is quite wealthy and in fact, run many of the businesses in town.

They continue their charade of being engaged, which of course, fans the flames of his family's enthusiasm for a wedding. The rest of the film is pretty much you would expect save a strange episode of Andrew's grandmother performing a native dance in the woods. It's funny to see how Bullock cleverly uses the same prickliness she displayed effectively in her near-cameo in Paul Haggis' "Crash" in this film's establishing scenes as Margaret. In turn, Reynolds shows smart timing as put-upon Andrew, and their interplay has a nice edge. Note how well they perform during the best scenes early on when Margaret baldly lies about their upcoming nuptials at the office and in front of the immigration officer. It's just when they move into more traditional rom-com territory where their chemistry feels weakened and the sparks doused. Chiarelli's haphazard screenplay doesn't help them as they have little beyond one bedtime confessional scene to make us think they may belong together. Craig T. Nelson plays a familiar role as Andrew's disapproving father, but their subplot weighs down the proceedings unnecessarily.

Except for one brief face-off with Nelson, Mary Steenburgen is wasted as Andrew's always-smiling mother. Betty White is a welcome sight as feisty Grandma Annie, although I wish the creators could have made her more like Sue Ann Nivens ("The Mary Tyler Moore Show") and less like Rose Nylund ("The Golden Girls"). As the girl Andrew left behind in Sitka, Malin Akerman ("Watchmen") is actually left stranded by the script, while Oscar Nuñez ("The Office") grows increasingly tiresome as store clerk/male stripper Ramone. His absurd club performance, along with a nude run-in between the principals, just shows how little faith the creators had in the material to sustain the plot. Standard extras come with the 2009 DVD: a decent commentary track from Fletcher and Chiarelli (but sadly not the actors), seven minutes of outtakes, two deleted scenes of little interest, and an alternate ending which really just switches the locale versus the resolution.
    My best friend, God, I love her, we've been friends for 10 years, she's been there for me through everything as I've been there for her, I would crawl through broken glass to get her a birthday gift… wait, that doesn't sound so healthy. But I do love the girl, however, what the heck did I do to her to be punished this badly when she begged me to see The Proposal? See, I don't get it, we have a "romantic comedy" script, no one changes anything, just the actors, every cliché in the book and somehow people fall for it. There is a needle in a haystack when it comes to a romantic comedy being actually funny or entertaining, but with the positive reviews that the IMDb users had been writing, I was actually thinking maybe this might be a good movie… YOU IMDb USERS, how dare you?! Shame on you that you fell for it once again, I'm going to point out how my puppy could have written this script after I tell you the story, even though I'm sure you can figure it out for yourself.

Margaret Tate is the executive editor-in-chief of a book publishing company, Colden Books. All of her workers, including her assistant Andrew Paxton hate her, and she fires a senior editor, Bob Spaulding. After learning she is being deported to Canada, she forces Andrew to marry her, as his future is tied to hers. When the government investigates, Mr. Gilbertson informs them that they will undergo rigorous testing to prove that the marriage is not fraudulent. Andrew grudgingly accepts, under the condition that he is promoted to the position of editor and his manuscript be published. The two are forced to spend the weekend with his parents in Alaska in order to sell the lie. Margaret is very unreceptive of Alaska, and is shocked to learn that Andrew's family owns most of the business in Sitka. Andrew announces that he and Margaret are getting married. But as most romantic comedies, we know where this is all going as Margaret realizes the true value of family and Andrew realizes that Margaret is human as well, blah, blah, blah.

So tell me how in the heck is this original or funny? For God's sake we even have the clichéd run to the airport before the girl leaves. The big kiss in front of a huge crowd that starts the slow clap. The crazy family that break down the "emotionless" woman into making her think that they're wonderful when really they all belong in a mental institution. The only thing The Proposal was missing was the clichéd gay best friend or the bitter best girl friend! You have to understand, I try, I mean I really really tried to be nice and enjoy the movie for what it was, but how can I when I know exactly what they are going to say or what would happen next? How is it that in every romantic comedy the most opposite of people who brutally hated each other then all of a sudden fall in love in less then 2 days?! Why?! How?! You IMDb users who marked this movie as a 10, don't ever talk to me, I'm going to have a hard enough time having to forgive my best friend for doing this to me as she won't stop saying "Oh, my God! That was the sweetest movie ever!".

• "The Proposal" has a stellar cast and a suicidal script. The script begins brilliantly: Margaret (Sandra Bullock) a master-of-the-universe publishing exec who also happens to be very beautiful, has a younger, very sexy assistant – Andrew (Ryan Reynolds) – whom she forces to marry her because her visa has expired and she's about to be deported. Sandra Bullock is fabulously, convincingly, hateful in her opening scenes. She makes the Meryl Streep character from "The Devil Wears Prada" look like a shar-pei puppy in comparison. You really want to see this character put through the wringer, that is, to grow and change in response to challenging events. Ryan Reynolds is, as ever, handsome, suave, understated, smart, and a very interesting actor. As buff as he is here, and he is very buff, (preparing for the lead in the next X-Man sequel) it's Reynolds' intelligence and acting chops that are most arresting. Reynolds is as good as the romantic comedy leads from the Golden Age; he just needs the right script to be part of a classic. The rest of the cast, with the exception of an obnoxious stripper who should have been left on the cutting room floor, is similarly brilliant: Mary Steenburgen, Craig T. Nelson, Denis O'hare and especially Betty White are all solid professionals who've been fantastic in other movies.

There is so much promise here – the pressures and pleasures of an older man and a younger woman; the erotic frisson of a woman boss and a hunky, male assistant, working with symbiotic intimacy over high-stakes projects, the blossoming of love in an impossible situation as two people who both love books get closer to each other, the changes a champion witch might go through as she falls in love. Andrew is given a hometown love interest, the young, blonde, Gertrude. Why did Andrew leave her and his hometown and move to New York City to work for an impossible person like Margaret? Because he loves books and literature and writing and the life of the mind, that's why. The movie could have given us ONE SCENE that showed Margaret and Andrew bonding over their love of literature – and it didn't give us even that. What a horrible wasted opportunity. As discussion boards show, many viewers felt that there was no chemistry between Andrew and Margaret. That's all the fault of the script.

Rather than pursuing the potentially fascinating routes set up by the opening scene, the script takes a nosedive into the utterly crass. A sleazy Hispanic male stripper? Margaret confessing her faults in a way that unnecessarily compromises Andrew forever in the eyes of those who mean the most to him? Several false endings that spill over into the closing credit sequence? What's going on in Hollywood? Why can it produce game, top-notch actors who are also stars and not one coherent romantic comedy script since Norah Ephron?
    Such a tired formula. Has anybody remember Preston Sturgess, Billy Wilder or even the Doris Day comedies? This is a predictable annoying little trifle and Sandra Bullock is getting to be really annoying. At one point I said to myself "If she clears her throat once more I leave the theater" and within 4 seconds, I swear, she cleared her throat again. I didn't leave however. I wasn't alone and my two nieces (10 and 11) where laughing so I didn't want to spoil their afternoon. Ryan Reynolds, I have to admit, is really charming and has the comedy chops for a far better comedy. Where are the writers? Please! Bullock trying her hand as a sort of Miranda Pristley from Devil wears Prada, is totally unconvincing. Mary Steenburgen wasted in a non part and Betty White's age is exploited for some very low comedy. Her Indian ritual is unforgivably bad writing. I'm rating it with a 5 and not a 2 as a tribute to Ryan Reynolds because I would love to see more of him, hopefully in a script written by the writers of "Tootsie", "Death Becomes Her", "Barbershop" or someone channeling Preston Sturgess.
  • PurpleFalcon14 June 2009
    One of the best romantic comedies I have seen in a quite a while. My wife and I saw this as a sneak preview and both of us along with the large audience were laughing all the way to the end.

Definitely Sandra Bullocks best movie and Ryan Reynolds was just perfect in this one.

Ryan Reynolds is becoming a star and this movie shows he can be a leading man as well as his perfect comedic timing. His facial expressions in this movie were priceless.

This one ranks up there with Sandra Bullocks "While you were Sleeping" and Ryan Reynolds "Definetely Maybe".
    This movie surprised me, I have to say. While I did expect to be entertained, I did not expect to find a new favorite movie. What started out as watching it since my friend yelled at me, turned into me loving every moment of the movie. With characters that are both attractive in personality and looks, this movie stays on the track of the plot-line and has loads of character development. Each scene is planned carefully, and chemistry between the two is seen at the very start. The movie is in no way slow, and compliments it's attributes quite nicely. There was no moments where I believe the movie fell short. Their comedic scenes definitely cracked me up, which is very tough to do. Overall, I loved this movie, and I think it was done very nicely. I found myself watching a couple scenes over and over.
    i loved the movie throughout the whole time. but i thought the way it ended wasn't as good, and i thought it could of been better, like instead of ending it like that, it may have ended with their real wedding. and all but other than that i loved the movie. it was a great movie with a great story but i thought it could of been in my top 10 but the ending just changed everything else for me. but it did make it to my top 20 and thats a fact

should you watch it? yes, its a great story about a woman who doesn't care about no one but herself, and then finds out she has to leave the US and go back to Canada. later she decides she wants fake a marriage with her assistant. they end up hating each other at first, but it all changes through the time they were in Alaska. then it ends with both of them really falling inlove and becoming a true couple.

ill give this movie a 9/10, actors, story was all good, but just thought the ending could of been better.
    With a run-of-the-mill romantic comedy plot, "the only male stripper in Alaska", some crude jokes involving a granny, The Proposal wasn't on my watch-list in the beginning. After some terrible experience of Made of Honor or this kind of rubbish, I totally refused to see this movie.

However, when the chance actually come I saw it, and thought all the clichés are still right there, but in a forgivable way. With some good, layered performances and some honest and sweet scenes near the end, the movie is actually watchable, and with some good messages.

There were some reasons that I totally despised the idea behind the movie. A female manager in her 40s propose to a subordinate in his 20s to realize a fraud wedding? That would be disgusting. Not to mention Andrew(Ryan Reynolds) is principally what we call a big kid, that he had dysfunctional relationship with his father and could more relate to powerful females. In the movie, the justification that Andrew really loved Margaret is in their 3-year employment relationship Andrew already allowed Margaret to grow on him. Knowing all the ugly sides in the life, Andrew would be the best candidate for Margaret's husband. Right there, I got the message the movie wanted to send, that a family should be forgiving enough for the family member no matter how much they deviated from the traditions. Sometimes the point is not to accept the choice your family members made, but to accept the fact that they have the freedom to make their own choices. I, like Andrew's father, still have 1000 reasons to disagree with Andrew's marriage, but I got the message. Unfortunately these messages have to be watched very closely and heartedly to be found. That is quite a challenge if you hold the movie as a cliché to the very end.

All that was realized by Sandra Bullock's performance that in some sense worth an Oscar nomination. Her transition from the cold, mean manager to the broken soul exposed to Andrew's family was very convincing, especially in the last 15 minutes. Also, she was able to totally cover Ryan Reynolds' pale performance. Thanks to the detailed character study, the movie surpassed my expectation.

7/10.
  • It is exactly what I expected. There were some old jokes (her entry into the office was a poor rehash of the opening of the Devil Wears Prada), there were plot holes (Betty White plays 90 but was supposed to have been married in 1929? -- that would make her a 10 year old), there were red herrings (an old girlfriend is introduced but she has no reason to be there and is not part of the plot) There were lots of problems with this film - BUT - there were also some funny scenes not shown in the trailers (eagle and dog).

I gave it a 7 out of 10 because it was a fun, completely forgettable film. I would suggest renting it in a few months... you will like it, just don't expect a lot - its just a summer comedy.
  • Breaking news: The Proposal is not going to win any Academy Awards. It is predicable and follows the Rom-Com formula you have seen a hundred times before. Despite that, The Proposal is an enjoyable film and one of the better Rom-Coms to come out in the past few years.

Sandra Bullock has the difficult task of being an uptight b**** but still remains a likable character. Ryan Reynolds shows he is a master at the awkward facial expression. Most of the big laughs are from Betty White, who practically steals the film.

"The Proposal" probably won't have you rolling with laughter, but it is an enjoyable diversion. If you go see it, chances are that you will be happy you went.
    I am a fan of the Romantic Comedy genre, but I failed to connect with this movie in any way. Firstly, and I'm not the only one to point this out - Sandra Bullock is too old for Ryan Reynolds and they had absolutely zero on screen chemistry. I just didn't buy it for a minute.

This movie is a combination of about 10 different rom coms and the whole movie is nothing but predictable. Who would have known - The power freak boss is actually soft inside and 'damaged'. The employee is actually from a very rich family and no-one knew. He didn't want to carry on the family business. They agree to get married for immigration purposes but who would have guessed they fall in love? (Didn't they already do that movie with Gerard Depardieu?).

The acting is fine, its the script and choice of lead actors that lets this movie down. Sorry but there is just nothing original here. Its 90 minutes of my life I'm never getting back.
    This mess of a movie stars Sandra Bullock looking every bit of her 40 plus years. Ryan Reynolds looking & acting much younger than his 30 plus years have zero chemistry as a romantic team.

'Tis a pity because both are talented performers.

Here they are done in by first time screenwriter Pete Chiarelli, let us up he improves. Anne Fletcher misdirected. The rest of cast includes Craig T.Nelson & Mary Steenbergen as Ryan'parents, They are OK in thankless roles. Betty White is his Grandmother,she is not as good as others said she was.

The major action supposedly takes place in Sitka Alaska, It is very obvious it is not Alaska. It was made in Rhode Island & Massechussets.

It may have been more believable if it was made on studio sets.

There is a puppy-dog in a few scenes,I wonder it it was a real dog or digital effects,It did not seem real.

This story has been done in many forms already,I would not have minded if it was funny like some 'rom-coms' of the past.

It is also way, way too long 105 minutes is about 20 minutes longer than it should have been.

Ratings: ** (out of 4) 53 points(out of 100) IMDb 4 (out of 10)
  • Well, its a romantic comedy with Sandra Bullock, so set your expectations low to have any chance of enjoying this movie. How they made poor Renolds look so washed out and undesirable is the main question and for most purposes the viewers' around us own subplot (was he sick when filming? was he tired?) as they quickly got bored with the Alaska scenery and the endless bossy bolocks (oops did I say bolocks?) and clueless subordinate Reynolds mushy not witty plastic dialogues. Seen this, done that, why oh why repeat it? Hollywood creativity is lacking and this movie is another fowl taste of reheated "I need a visa so lets get married and divorce" plots already used and abused. The only reason for watching this I could find is to see the lovely Betty White who really deserves to get bigger better roles than what they shoved her into (nagging grandmother). Overall, there's better romantic comedies that will actually make you laugh and make sense, this one doesn't.
  • I, like many others was dragged out to see this movie with the girlfriend. Although it was not horrible, I would never willingly sit through it again. I did not ever want to walk out on the film, but I wasn't really entertained either. The only real funny moments in the film were thanks to the actor who played Ramon. I found most of the humor flat, especially a specific tribal dancing scene. Over all the film gets a 5 out of 10 for me... but I can tell it is a well made movie, and it's target audience will probably like it a fair bit. But if you get dragged out like I was... prepare for a very typical "chick flick".