I had hoped that this latest offering might possibly be different and maybe even realistic but, sadly, no.

Typical Hallmark fare with the usual predictable characters - ditzy friend/colleague, self-absorbed boyfriend, big city girl back on the farm, old flame (a widower with an adorable kid) ignites old feelings, only this time with religion thrown into the mix.

Apparently no one did any actual research on the Amish faith aside from dressing the actors for the part and there were errors on that as well. Living Plain is not just a way of life, it's an actual religion and was poorly portrayed.

As always, the city girl sees the error of her ways and decides to come back to the Amish way of life to be with her childhood crush. There was a passing reference to her never having been shunned but that makes no sense unless she struck out on her own in her mid teens. Since most Amish girls are lucky to make it past the 8th grade it makes no sense that she miraculously became a renowned travel writer out of the blue. After rumpringa in their late teens, the young people have to decide to leave the community and go out on their own or be baptized and stay. If they leave at any time after baptism, they are shunned and have no further contact with the family.

Katrina acted like returning to the Amish way of life was just changing a costume and remembering a recipe. Way to blow off a whole lifestyle, Hallmark.

And she didn't bat an eye knowing that shunning would be the case after Isaac decides to leave. He was turning away from a lifetime of religious beliefs and denying his daughter any further contact with lifelong friends and family. But, hey, it was True Love.

The whiplash changes in character are never addressed either. In five minutes, Miriam goes from refusing to touch her sister to suddenly loving her. And nobody in the Amish faith would ever condone, let alone encourage, a member of their community to leave.

Hallmark is in dire need fo some new writers. Ones that have fresh ideas and also do some research to make their stories believable. This was neither.
    The writers of this movie have obviously never lived near or know any Amish from the terrible way they were portrayed in the movie. First off, the main character knew the conservative way Amish women dress, esp. when they are around Amish men yet choose to wear a sleeveless dress to the reading of her father's will? When trying to fit in by putting on an Amish dress, the character also should have known that she would have needed to pull back her bangs and tuck/clip them under her bonnet and didn't bother. An Amish woman knows that no one sees her hair unless it is her husband. The community was portrayed as being conservative yet the main character's sister wore a short sleeve dress? That's not realistic. Amish women wear long sleeve dresses at all times and possible 3/4" if it's a more modern community. But never short sleeve.

Let's talk about the main male character now... married Amish men let their beards grow yet his was short? That's not realistic either. And at the end of the movie, he is shown without a hat and has a modern hairstyle? Again, not realistic. Amish men have their hair cut with bangs in a straight, bowl style cut.

Amish use oil lamps for lighting but not once do you see the Bed and Breakfast have any of those. Only candles. Hello Hallmark? This is a movie about Amish life, not life in the 16th century!

The movie wasn't even realistic. It's very hard to believe the Amish sister would have encouraged her sister to go back to living in the modern world instead of rejoining the church. Esp. since they now had a good relationship and knowing if they left he would be shunned permanently. It was hard to believe the main character would ask/expect him to leave the Amish community to marry her knowing he would be shunned and could never return to visit any family or friends. Meaning if she ever came back to visit her sister in private, he would never be allowed to join her. And we are to believe that love would truly be enough for him to waltz right into the modern world and accept it for both his daughter and himself? Doubtful.

A better and more realistic ending would have been for her to come back and rejoin the church. She already admitted in the movie that she saw the world through travel and experience and still felt empty. It didn't take much for her to be comfortable in that lifestyle again. Then she would have community and he would have not been shunned. She could also have a closer relationship with her sister which she was wanting anyway.
    My strongest impression is that too much was crammed together in the last 15 minutes, give or take. The result was that things seemed abrupt and worse, they didn't make sense. I've often complained in movies of this genre that there is a tendency for a character to do a 180 too quickly on feelings, attitudes, or personality. Well in this movie Miriam did a 180 worse than any I can remember. There was an explanation for it, but it didn't account for how quickly and completely the 180 took place. Then on top of that, Isaac does it too and that explanation may have been romantic, but it was also weak. Well at least the climax of the movie wasn't entirely predictable.

Another reviewer commented that they expected a specific character to make a life change and that wouldn't have worked. I was thinking the exact same thing as I thought it was about to happen.

Jack didn't seem real. Evelyn was over the top. I can't decide what I thought of chemistry between Galadriel Stineman and Kevin Joy, probably because the worlds they were trying to bring together were too far apart.

When I looked deeply into the underlying messages in the movie, I came away thinking that it was a devastating condemnation of Amish culture and religion. Jesus said the second greatest commandment was "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." He told his disciples that they must forgive others in order to be forgiven. And he combines the idea of extraordinary forgiveness with seeking after the lost in the story known as the Parable of the Prodigal Son. This movie shows the Amish as the exact opposite of all these things. And then in one of the climactic speeches of the movie, Miriam likens Kathy and Isaac to the loving neighbors and evangelists to the lost as a contrast to, and urging a rejection of the Amish ways. I won't address how accurate the movie is in representing negative aspects of the Amish. I'm not an expert, but I doubt things are as one sided as things looked from Kathy's perspective as shown in the movie.
  • rebekahrox24 October 2020
    I am just thankful that no Amish people will ever see this movie. They would be hurt and offended.
    The story was really nice. Lost love. Lost family. All eventually found - but not in a typical way. Loved that she drew upon her long lost roots to learn more about herself. It was also nice that the story did not return her to the Amish way of life. That would have been unrealistic. She and her former "boyfriend" compromised - making it a story more true to life.

A couple of negative comments: -For a successful city woman, she sure dressed frumpy. Not talking about her Amish garb ... her every day clothing made her look like an old lady. Did she really dress that way in the city and book tours dressed lije that. -Hallmark does need to find actors who better resemble each other - the sister had none of the same characteristics. Not the eyes. Not the hair. Not the facial structure. I realize sometimes family members don't look Alike - but there's usually some resemblance.
    The script was soooooo contrived and full of worldly cliches. I'm used to the predictable Hallmark movies. I don't mind that. I don't mind cheesy. But this was way over the top and the characters cared more about "love" than their love and devotion to God. It was annoying that they would so quickly convert (the woman) or turn their back on their beliefs (the man). I am a huge fan of movies that show the Amish lifestyle but this one seemed totally unrealistic and there was no reverence which is so key to Amish life. If an Amish character leaves their lifestyle in a story, it should be that they don't have the same convictions or desires as the rest of the community. Or if she were to convert it should have some connection with her realizing her love for her community and her faith. I really wish it was better because the actors seemed good but the story was a mess.
  • I think this is another example of a good cast with a weak script. It feels like a story being told by someone who doesn't understand what they're writing about. The ingredients for a good story are there, it just lacks true understanding, due diligence and polish. Props to hair and makeup, it must have been a chore to subdue the raw beauty of the cast members, it made me wonder how many supermodels are among the Amish. It's not one to avoid, it's just not great.
  • Not your typical Hallmark Romance. Story was well written and actors seemed like their characters were true to life.
  • taylornan21 January 2021
    I enjoyed this movie and the great chemistry between Kathy and Isaac. I don't know enough about Amish ways to comment on what was correct and what was not. I did find Kathy's Sister and her husband to be very annoying. Kathy is giving her Sister her half of the inheritance and her Sister is totally ungrateful. Also the character of Kathy's boss/editor was so annoying with her constant phone calls and "kiss kiss loveya" when hanging up.
  • Sweet watchable story with a predictable outcome. I watch Hallmark to see good moral stories, not heavy drama. Sarah was really a good little actress and was totally believable. Hope to see more of her like Opal from "When Calls the Heart" who has been in several Hallmark productions.
  • mccoybrandi23 October 2020
    I dislike that he shared something with her in confidence and then she shared it with someone else
  • Waar kan ik deze film bekijken ? Ik wil hem heel graag zien maar weet niwt waar of hoe ik hem bekijken .