• A romantic, modern day fairy tale that is perfect for all the family, but especially for young girls and their Mothers, Grandmothers and their Granddaughters, Aunts & nieces, etc.

Boys, be warned, this may all be a tad emotionally mushy for your taste, but who knows, you may learn some wonderful manners during the process of watching it. Every little girl (and we are all little girls at heart), dreams of being treated like a princess, whether they like to admit it or not.

The beautiful Katie McGrath plays the lead female role and I felt at times, she gave a rather wooden performance that actually enhanced her displays of awkwardness in an unfamiliar situation and so rather than distance the viewer, it actually made her character more endearing to them.

It was wonderful to see Sir Roger Moore acting again, in his typical, suave male role.

A wonderful Christmas Fairy Story.
  • When you imagined the castle of cinderlla - it may have looked like this one. When you imagined how nice Prince Charming may be - it might have been just like this one.

Its a fairy tale - are fairy tales ever meant to be realistic? Of course not!

My family did not like the movie because they believed it to be poor acting but good looking performers and a unimaginative plot.

I loved it because it was heart warming. It is not a thought provoking movie. Its lovely. That's all it is.

Merry Christmas!
  • cyberpretender4 December 2011
    Usually I watch romantic Christmas movies with trepidation, as there have only been a few that have been good, but this movie was definitely one of those that I have kept in my collection. It was a wonderful Christmas movie. I have only seen Katie McGrath on Merlin as the evil Morgana, but she acted very well in this movie, and you empathize and can't help rooting for her. And of course Sam Heughan was dashing as the prince. The only person who I thought they should have replaced was the actor who played Milo, he's acting was a little wooden. But other, than that, the actors were great, and the plot was smooth. Of course you knew how the movie was going to end, but that's with any romantic movie. And there were times, when I was hoping the movie would not end, it was just that good. Great family movie!!!
  • Jules Pav23 November 2012
    I loved this movie. It's a lovely story/film. One of my favourite Christmas movies this year, I can't count how many times I've watched it, and I still can't find fault. I'm not bored with it either, which is unusual for me with movies these days.

Take it for what it is, a traditional Christmas fairytale and don't look for/expect anything else, and you'll get everything you want from it. Personally I think too many critics don't know what 'artistic license' is and feel the need to spoil everyone else's enjoyment of a movie making a deal of it.

Get over it, and keep it to yourself!
  • Even though i am a bit of a skeptic when it comes to romance movies, this one was amazing. It gave me goose bumps on every sequence and i would definitely recommend it if it were to watch it with family, loved ones or just by oneself! It has greatly rounded characters, great storyline and brilliantly built emotional charge - it makes it the perfect movie; i would easily give it 20 out of ten, because I am not into genres like this one and it definitely surpassed my previous beliefs; it deserves much, much more than the IMDb rating and even though it has "Christmas" as part of the headline, it is much more than a Christmas story, it is a love story, built with courage, grace and over-passing of obstacles and difficulties - WATCH IT!!!
    In Buffalo, Jules (Katie McGrath) is a caretaker for her deceased sister's two children. Milo, almost a teen, is a handful whose latest scheme is to steal a video game. Unhappily for him, Jules makes him take it back and punishes him strongly, Little sister Maddie is a doll who also has a bad habit of eating junk food. Supporting them as a working woman, Jules is aghast to be let go from the antique store that she adores. Alas, its almost Christmas. However, Jules' sibling was married to an actual Prince of Castlebury, although the family disowned her husband Charles for marrying a commoner. Suddenly, at their doorstop is the butler of the King of Castlebury (Roger Moore) who, getting up in years, is finally willing to meet his grandchildren. With some misgivings, the entire brood goes off to a giant castle in a fairy tale setting. However, the staff, except for the kind butler, is stiff and unfriendly and so is the King. Why did he even want to entertain them when he is rude and disagreeable? Slowly, however, Jules and the children begin to change the unhappiness of the castle. This includes the now Prince in Waiting, Ashton (Sam Heughan) who has had to cater to his gruff father for a long time and who is nearly engaged to a demanding Duchess Arabella. As one might guess, Ashton admires Jules instantly. But, will he choose to follow his heart, like his brother did? This lovely film has an excellent cast in McGrath, Moore, and Heughan, along with all of the lesser actors. McGrath is uncannily similar to Keira Knightley in appearance, being a willowy brunette with a husky voice. Romcom fans will be glad to see her in future projects. How wonderful to see Moore, too, after his long acting career as The Saint and 007. Than, too, the setting in Romania is breathtakingly lovely while costumes, script, and direction add up to one very fine film. Yes, fellow romcom lovers, Hollywood has turned its back on us but good. But, don't you turn your back to this Princess. Television may be our only source of the movies we love but it is quite capable of giving us exactly what we want, thank goodness.
  • BEWARE OF FALSE REVIEWS & REVIEWERS. SOME REVIEWERS HAVE ONLY ONE REVIEW TO THEIR NAME. NOW WHEN ITS A POSITIVE REVIEW THAT TELLS ME THEY WERE INVOLVED WITH THE MOVIE. IF ITS A NEGATIVE REVIEW THEN THEY MIGHT HAVE A GRUDGE AGAINST THE FILM . NOW I HAVE REVIEWED OVER 200 HOLIDAY FILMS. I HAVE NO AGENDA. I AM HONEST

Jules Daly (Katie McGrath) becomes the legal guardian of her 7-year- old niece Maddie (Leilah de Meza) and teenage nephew Milo (Travis Turner). After Jules gets laid off at work, the butler of Duke Edward, the children's wealthy grandfather, appears with an invitation for Milo and Maddie to spend the Christmas holidays with his employer. Jules initially refuses, but decides to go for the children's sake.

The story "borrows" from many other movies where an "American Finds themselves related to royalty". The story also has a dash of "Little Lord Fauntleroy". The cast is very good but the plot line is nothing new or a creative take of an often told tale. The film is well made. It holds your attention but, you will forget the whole film after a good nights sleep!
  • This is a modern day fairy tale with no fresh spin whatsoever in the story line yet it was a truly enjoyable watch. I watched it on a lonely Christmas day spent away from family and friends, and " A princess for Christmas" somehow managed to get me into the Christmas spirit albeit only for an hour and a half. I watched this movie with no great expectations and at the end of the day it turned out to be a pleasant watch after all. So, if you are willing to disregard all the parameters that you might have in regard to this film, you might turn out to enjoy this light-hearted, holiday spirited movie. After all, who wouldn't want their happily ever after to become a reality right? Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!
  • tdcheck24 July 2013
    Watched this having heard that Sam Heughan had been picked to play Jamie Fraser. Spurred on by the fact Katie McGrath was also in this (loved her in Merlin!) Really enjoyed this easy to watch Christmas film, Sam was definitely the best thing in it! Although the children put in good performances too. I won't go into the story too much, but one of my favourite scenes has to be the dance lesson and their initial first meeting. My only down point (and the reason I gave 9 instead of 10) was Katies's accent which did waiver a little through out the film. Should have just stayed with her natural accent. My 5 year old also sat with me and also enjoyed it, and wanted to marry the prince at the end of the film :-)
    I just watched this movie and I was deeply impressed by the story and the actors. The movie basically brings out the best in people and renews the belief in Christmas, family love and happy endings.

The story is simple yet elegant. After playing the evil Morgana in Merlin, Katie McGrath plays Jules Daly, an American heroine who wants to spend a good Christmas with her nephew and niece. She is receives a visit from Paisley Winterbottom, a butler working for the kids' grandfather, invites them all to celebrate Christmas with their grandfather at England. There, Jules falls in love with Prince Ashton, and the two prepare to celebrate Christmas in the best way possible.

It may seem cliché and a Cinderella ripoff, but believe, the movie is awesome. It's not perfect, it can be predictable sometimes, but the movie accomplishes its job at helping people believe in the virtues of Christmas.

I highly recommend this movie. That's it, good watching!
  • Truth be told, Christmas movies are by their nature disposable. Producers and financial backers love them. You produce them on a shoestring and the year-end demand usually provides more than enough momentum to knock you into profit straight away. If the movie actually proves to be high quality and finds an audience, well, that truly would be a XMas miracle.. wouldn't it? No miracle here. The highly photogenic Katie McGrath (who did such great work in Merlin, playing the same role in both Light and Dark hues) does a passable American accent but is otherwise lost in a script so weak you wonder how how the paper made through the printer without jamming.

Not a strong performance anywhere, and Roger Moore, a man who treated an entire generation to his Ivanhoe, and yet another generation to his Saint, looks lost.

Truly this makes Amanda's Bines 2003 WHAT A GIRL WANTS (actually a very entertaining film) look like Oscar material.
  • Irishchatter2 December 2015
    This movie was very enjoyable to watch because we get to see the beautiful Katie McGrath and of course, the great James Bond legend Sir Roger Moore! I honestly didn't realise that Katie was playing a American character because she pretty much sounded like herself. Maybe if she was an English or Irish character on this, then it would make more sense for her to use either. I say, she probably did try to do the American accent but probably failed.

Anyways I liked the fact, it was Christmassy and very straightforward. You just have to love the little girl on this, she is such a darling and a great little actress! You honestly just wanna give her a wee cuddle, she's so cute!

You wouldn't think Roger Moore would be a grumpy old man, I think it was a mistake for his character to act like a snob, he normally suits acting as a cheery, funny and pleasant gentleman. I suppose they didn't want him to be James Bond even if he will be remembered as James Bond. It was surprising to see him on something like this anyway. He's good always so I won't ever complain!

I really liked the movie, it was fun and so cute! I definitely would recommend this to anyone to give it a go at watching it!
  • Though it is an old story line it is still good. Its a Cinderella story in modern time and done very well. Roger Moore is great as the grandfather! Its a different role for him. The children are cute as can be. Katie McGrath is just right for her role as the Aunt. Love the way she is hung up on antiques. She brings this family together again . Travis Turner is the handsome prince! And he does a great job of going from snob to really nice guy! The castle may not be the best and the clothes may not measure up to some peoples standards but who cares if its a fun movie. Its worth watching more than some Christmas movies that are on and better then reruns any day!
  • I know that Christmas movies are supposed to have happy endings but this is sappy from start to finish. The acting is truly horrible and the characters are all generic and predictable - the plucky underdog who is instantly loved by all her meet her except the girlfriend of the love interest, the rich but grumpy grandfather that does a complete 180 about 2 minutes after meeting the troubled, orphaned grandkids who also do a complete turnaround in five minutes. Add to that the stern housekeeper who completely changes her persona 1 minute after seeing a Christmas tree and the cutely under-stairs staff. And the totally inevitable ending.

The whole thing is a waste of time.

And they shamelessly stole the music from Practical Magic!
  • There is absolutely nothing fresh or original about this version of a tale which we have all seen magnificently presented in other films. From the very first moment, the film screams "B." I believe that the actors who are cast in the film are fully capable of delivering adequate performances but they move around the set and give their lines as if they are in an elementary school play. I can only blame it on the direction, since even Roger Moore is horrible. The lead actress, Katie McGrath reminds me of a less emaciated Keria Knightley. The sets and costumes are abysmal. Paintings are propped up on mantelpieces and pieces of furniture while everything appears to be lacking in the kind of quality one would expect to find in the castle of a prince. In the party scene, the majority of the costumes are not even pressed and look as if they were just yanked out of some forgotten theater trunk. It appears as if some of the actors provided their own clothes because there is a vast difference in the level of quality from one actor to the next. All in all, this is a complete waste of time and film. I decided to write this review to prevent others from throwing away their time and their Christmas money. If you are thinking about buying this for a child, think again.
  • Although some of the actors actually could act -- the little girl, the "Prince," most of the household staff, well, the butler was played by an accomplished actor -- that anyone could act anything with this script was a tribute to their training and experience. The boy was particularly awful -- casting a 24 year old to play someone barely in his teens, generally a very bad choice, and he was almost completely inauthentic throughout the role. The lead, Katie McGrath, is certainly pretty enough, but has no acting training and a very few acting credits, which probably explains that while she was "winning," her characterization had absolutely no depth to it. So when she was called upon to do something that barely made sense (the script required all sorts of people to do this), it really made no sense for her character. (Also her accent kept slipping.) Mostly what this script required was the "turn on a dime" school of acting, which only works if you have enough acting experience to know that you need to salt in hints of the turn before it happens. Even Roger Moore, poor thing, had to turn so fast, it was ridiculous. Agh.
  • This could have been a beautiful fairy tale Christmas story, but it fell short of credible.

The duke played a very important role, however, he was ornery for only a very short time and then there a quick benevolent transformation. The tension should have been played out longer, creating realism of character.

Jules smiled or cried the entire movie. It was one or the other. Her acting was artificial and unnatural. She was not convincing at all in her role. She needs to learn transformation from one emotion to another and that there are other emotions in between that are subtle. Her smile was fixed and wooden the entire movie. Her evening gown was not beautiful as I had hoped it would be and her hair covered half of her dress.

The rest of the actors and actresses were excellent. They made the movie come alive. Roger Moore, Ashton, the children, the butlers, the maids, and Ashton's fiancé made this movie!

I did not like the music while people were speaking. It is very distracting to have loud music in the background during a conversation. Most Hallmark movies have loud background music playing now that is louder than the voices. Their movies are now concerts.

I thought this movie could have been more exciting by expanding the plot line and with true character development. This could have been a great, magical Christmas fairy tale.
  • Chick flick. Only moderately Christmasy. Filmed in Romania! The castle they use is gorgeous! Stars someone apparently from the Merlin TV series named Katie McGrath. Plays a girl from Buffalo, New York and gives a pretty decent American accent. More interesting to me is a supporting role by the 82 year old Sir Roger Moore. It was his first time in front of the camera in 9 years! I've been watching all the James Bond films recently and I am currently in the Roger Moore years. Saw one about a week ago and about to see another... so it's kinda weird to see him so much older. He looks kinda frail. 007 he isn't anymore. Well, at least he's acting which is more than can be said about Sir Connery.

In any case, this is not so much a kid's movie but a young female's movie, or for any woman who has dreamed of one day being a princess. The princess story isn't huge in this as it's about Christmas at Canturbury Hall, which is an alternate title for this in Europe. Oh, and not that it matters so much but it was directed by Michael Damian who had a hit song in the 80's called "Rock On" which was the main song in the Corey Feldman/Cory Haim flick "Dream A Little Dream."

Considering so many "Christmas movies" nowadays are just an everyday story set at Christmastime, this one is actually acceptable as a Christmas movie.

--A Kat Pirate Screener
  • This movie is from 2011 and had a special "fairy-tale" quality like I remember from "The Princess Bride". Jules as the main character really made this movie. She had an unusual beauty. What a surprise to see an 84 year old Roger Moore (the movie would have been a 10 if they got him to dance with Jules). I didn't realize he was in the movie and kept thinking "is that him". They did add a 007 reference which was appropriate. The earlier dance scene was really fun starting with a waltz and ending with an electric guitar. A great moment when the young prince and his nephew were shooting arrows. Roger Moore's character was not that good. His scenes tended to be dull but it was him and his presence added to the magic of the story. It is worth the watch.
    This is a modern live action fairy tale that works as a Christmas movie. Hollywood and television come out with new holiday films each season, so to be interesting a new film should have an original plot. "A Princess for Christmas" does have such a different plot. It's a story with two or three twists that work together nicely.

Katie McGrath plays Jules Daly, a young woman who has taken in her nephew and niece to raise after they lost their parents the previous Christmas. We don't learn how they died, so it's safe to assume it was a car accident. There's also no mention of maternal grandparents – the parents of Katie and her dead sister. So, we have to assume that they too are deceased. That can explain why Katie is the guardian of Milo and Maddie Huntington, played very well by Travis Turner and Leila de Meza.

As Christmas approaches, Jules has just been let go from work in an antique store. She has become something of an expert on antiques, but business has been so slow that the owner reluctantly has to lay her off. She has had a nanny watch the kids during the daytime – its now Christmas vacation. But Milo and Maddie get into mischief. This is a part of the story that doesn't sit quite right. The mischief of Maddie and Milo is everyday type of stuff that most families encounter, but the nanny, Mrs. Kelly can't cope, so she quits. Maria Junghetu plays Mrs. Kelly, but this character is a goof off in the first place. She's sitting down and working puzzles in the newspaper instead of paying attention to the kids.

So, Katie is at wit's end when she gets a knock on her door. She opens the door to Paisley Winterbottom, the butler to the Duke of Castlebury. Miles Richardson is very good and likable as the butler and Roger Moore plays Edward, the Duke. The duke is the grandfather of Milo and Maddie. He disowned his son, Charles, when he married Katie's sister (whose name I don't think we ever learn). It's been years, but now he would like them all to visit him for Christmas at Castlebury Hall. At first, Katie rejects the plane tickets and check for expenses, and the butler expressed the duke's regrets for his past behavior. But, with poor prospects for the rest of the holiday season, Katie finally accepts.

The next we see, they are being driven to Castlebury. We don't know what country this is in, and although everyone speaks English, it's not in England. When one of the three ask the butler where Castlebury is located, he replies "a stone's throw from Liechenstein." That small country (just over 60 square miles) is bordered by Austria on the east and by Switzerland on the north, west and south. So, the fictional Castlebury would likely be located in Switzerland. The filming was done in and around castles in Romania.

As they approach the scenic end of their car ride, Katie tells the kids that they can't break anything in this place. They meet the staff, the duke and his other son (their uncle), Ashton, Prince of Castlebury (played by Sam Heughan). The rest of the story is peppered with comedy as the duke adjusts to his grandkids and their aunt. And as a romance buds between Katie and Ashton, the fairy tale story unfolds with the kids from this point relegated to small appearances. One can guess the ending easily enough.

It's a nice and enjoyable film because the plot is different and refreshing. And, although the adjustment of the duke and his crowd to the ways of less formal lower class Americans, seems a bit contrived, the acting overall is quite good. McGrath is a fine actress and the kids are very good. Heughan is very good as the prince, and most of the staff are very good. Roger Moore seemed to be having fun, perhaps overdoing it some, maybe even adding a little ham. That's all the more reason I think most people will enjoy this film.
    A Princess for Christmas has been an annual favorite of mine since it was released! General plot has been summarized to pieces in other reviews, so I will just comment on my likes and dislikes.

The cast was excellent, and yes, it was a bit hard to get past some of Katie McGraths accent slip ups. I love when Hallmark uses a cast that isn't in every other movie they make. I prefer good acting from otherwise "unknowns" than seeing the same actors they use in many of their other movies over and over.

Sam Heughan......can we just say, "I'll have a Scotch on the rocks?" The kids are cuties and butlers and wait staff are awesome! I thought Sir Roger Moore was just fine. If you consider the role, I think he nailed it. It was especially cute when Maddie hands him his favorite ornament, and the way he looks at her.... Just precious!

So here are my Pros & Cons

Pros:

• Loved the casting

• Great on screen chemistry between Katie McGrath and SamHeughan (wished there was a sequel!)

• surprisingly GOOD story line

• loved the locations they used!!!

• loved that it wasn't "the usual" Hallmark casts

• Loved that it ended with a wedding

Cons:

• Minor accent slips from K. McGrath (not a deal breaker, she's still a great actress!) - The Ball Scene has something like a string Quartet, playing the music of a full orchestra, but it's OK... I know it's just a Hallmark movie...

• The cheap looking, and just plain "odd" looking bridal shop reject dresses Katie and the women wore in the ball scene. Katie's dress was just a hot mess....and not hemmed... Most of the dresses I recognized from regular dept stores, and even some bridesmaids dresses! I was hoping for "Royal" costuming! ...I'm big on costuming. I don't think the Dutchess of Cambridge would buy a Macy's dress.... Just sayin...

• Again, that pathetic looking wedding dress Katie wore, and like her ball dress, it wasn't hemmed either. I kept worrying that she was going to trip on the dress!

I wish Hallmark would bring e cast back together for a Royal Sequel!
  • SanteeFats19 December 2014
    An English duke (Roger Moore) for reasons unknown sends his butler to invite his two American grandkids to visit in his English castle. They are accompanied by their aunt. The Duke is an old stick in the mud at first but the three of them loosen him and the staff up after a couple of days. So much so that the Duke not only allows a Christmas tree for the first time in years but decides to have a Christmas Eve ball. The American perception of English nobility is amply shown in this movie. I have never been to England so I don't know for sure if it is true or not but I like to think it is. Anyway the Duke's second son (the life one) and Jules (the aunt) end up in love, the Duke gets a new lease on life in a joyous way. This a heartwarming Christmas time film and I really like it.
  • A pleasant enough family movie, although thoroughly clichéd. For me the biggest drawback was Roger Moore as the grandfather. His part was written as cranky yet droll, but he came across as grotesque. I'm a senior citizen myself, and he looked just plain unwell posing as perky (guessing at Botox since his face didn't move much, nor did the rest of him).

With better casting in this important part I might have given the movie two more stars. The romantic leads were fine, I enjoyed the servants. It wouldn't bother me if I never saw the young actors playing the children again, but perhaps they were just victims of the script.
  • blairb14310 November 2013
    I really enjoy this movie and have asked my partner for a copy of it for my Christmas gift, I would recommend it to all. Loved it, The actors were good and the prince was so real and so human with compassion. I like the simple elegance and grace and reminds us that love is not a respecter of persons that we are all the same, some have more gifts but we are all children under one Father if we choose it. If you want something that is clean and teaches a great example to live life you will buy this movie. This is just a great movie, and very affordable and with all the junk that is out there this is something that would be awesome in your library. I hope you all get to record, see or buy it you won't regret it.
    Despite a few down points, "a Princess for Christmas" is by far one of the best kids' seasonal movies as it provides a modern twist to the traditional fairy tale. Hereby are the positive and negative points of this movie:

Pros:

1. The cast and acting are exactly what is required for a kids' movie.

2. The plot is not the all-dressed-up princess story we are used to, though it stays true to the main elements of a fairy tale.

3. The emotional moments and scenes in the movie which are indeed moving.

Cons:

1. Despite her amazing acting, Katie McGrath fails in changing her accent to imitate the American accent. She would have been flawless in this movie if it weren't for this point.

2. The ending is somewhat expected from rather early stages of the plot.

All in all, this movie is just right to watch with your kids as it provides an interesting plot, enough emotion, and fit performances by the actors.