User Reviews (162)

• BigGuy27 January 2016
    First of all, I have to say that I'm generally not a fan of biopics, they just aren't the type of movie I seek out. I got tickets to the sneak preview and my wife really wanted to go. Anyway, that preamble out of the way, I really did enjoy the movie.

Eddie the Eagle is a story about an underdog in every sense of the word. One theme that is repeated throughout the movie, is the quote from Pierre de Coubertin (father of the modern Olympics), "The important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win, but to take part; the important thing in Life is not triumph, but the struggle; the essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well." The story follows Eddie from the time he's a little kid with dreams of going to the Olympics. It follows him through his many assorted set-backs, and all the people around him who saw only failure in his future. It also shows the moments when he got helping hands when he most needed it. This movie is about his struggle.

The casting in the movie was quite good. I remember Eddie the Eagle from TV when I was young, and Taron Egerton does an excellent job in the role of Eddie. Hugh Jackman puts in a good performance as the coach Bronson Peary, and manages not to overpower Eddie's character. But while Taron Egerton really assumes the part of Eddie, a lot of Hugh Jackman leaks into his role as coach Peary.

The roles of Eddie's parents are also well played, and the actress playing his mother, Jo Hartley, gives a particularly poignant portrayal. The father, played by Keith Allen (currently uncredited on IMDb) is a bit of a caricature, but well acted. Actually, a lot of the supporting cast of characters are caricatures, especially the other ski-jumpers/coaches and the British Olympians/Olympic Committee. But to an extent that serves to emphasize the struggle for Eddie. Also, for those intent on seeing this film for Christopher Walked, he has a very small role.

While, I have emphasized the struggle aspect of the story, there is a lot of comedy thrown into the mix as well. The tone is upbeat throughout, even when Eddie has setbacks. While some of the failures are played for laughs (mostly early in the film), it's mostly Eddie's perseverance that makes this film endearing. It also feels like we're laughing with Eddie rather than at him, since it seems Eddie's in on the joke.

If you're on the fence about seeing this movie, I say give it a shot.
  • Some films are merely created for entertainment and to tell a story. This is one of those films that you're not going to hear about during award season but it was certainly satisfying and worth the time.

Egerton was a perfect choice to play Eddie, from his off beat humor to his on spot facial expressions, and Hugh Jackman is a great compliment as the supporting role. Both characters are total opposites, each flawed in their own way, but really mesh together on screen.

The movie is fun and the story, based on the Eddie the Eagles dream of going to the Olympics, was nicely told with clean comedy paced throughout.

Not knowing the outcome of the true story, I was on edge rooting for Eddie throughout - just like the crowds in the stands on film.

Really glad they made this film, it's such a fun story and Eddie The Eagle is so deserving for a film that honors his hard work dedicated to his Olympic dream.

Have fun with this one!
  • With a nice touch of humor you cannot come away from this movie without feeling a sense of accomplishment regardless of the actual outcome. The movie inspires you to reflect on any challenge we may have faced on our own lives and inspires us to actually rethink how we may have handled it or behaved differently. Taron Edgerton played a very believable character giving the audience a real sense at who Eddie Edwards really was and how he lived his youth through perseverance and fortitude by simply not giving up. The film cleverly portrays this very quickly through a brief introduction into Eddies childhood. The story is written well and the story really gives us a sense of who Eddie is and the drive to fulfill a promise to himself. Hugh Jackman brings a humorous side to the film with just enough serious touch that you do not loose sight of the significant effort that was made by Eddie Edwards. I was glad to be invited to a early preview and hope that all who see this film enjoy it as much as I did.
  • A very funny, enjoyable and inspiring movie for the whole family.

A human interest film that are rare these days with so many movies that rely on bravado and special effects.

Based on a true story, which proves if you have dreams from a young age that persist you should follow them no matter what the odds are against them and ignore all the doubters that tell you you cannot achieve them.

The human spirit and believing in one's self are very powerful forces.

Eddie is a character that you cannot dislike.

Hugh Jackman's character helps Eddie achieve his dream since Eddie would not be deterred.

Eddie unknowingly helps Hugh Jackman's character out of his funk and he is re-born again.

We highly recommend this film.
  • Saw this movie at an advance screening and Eddie the Eagle was awesome.

The movie did not disappoint at all.

Great insight into the story of Eddie Edwards and the sport of ski jumping.

Very dangerous sport but very beautiful to look at.

The movie had a lot of heart and humor.

Will look forward to this movie making its way on Blu-ray.

I would gladly pay to add it to my collection.

Great visuals as well.

I wish the movie gets the praise it deserves as it really is better than a lot of the trash coming thru movie theaters now.
  • As a Southern-Californian, snow might as well come from a different world. We receive at the most, a few flurries in the winter, but even then, it needs to be on a full moon on a leap year if it's not Tuesday. That said, we can still provide a wealth of athletes in sports that are played in the winter. Both local ice hockey teams, the Anaheim Ducks and the Los Angeles Kings, have won the Stanley Cup and are seen as some of the best hockey teams in America. Shaun White, famous snowboarder, hails from San Diego and Michelle Kwan, the figure skater, is from the L.A. area.

The lesson here is that a champion can come from anywhere. A good movie that provides this example is Cool Runnings from Disney. This portrays the country of Jamaica creating a bobsled team for the 1988 Winter Olympics. Though goofy and clearly not a realistic representation of what happened, the movie was upbeat about one following their dreams to become an Olympic athlete. What's interesting that today's movie was set during the same 1988 Olympics. Eddie the Eagle looks at an aspiring ski jumper as he tries to go fro the gold.

Ever since he was a young boy, Eddie Edwards has wanted to go to the Olympics, yet has little athletic skill. He tries his hand at several sports until he sees skiing as his best shot. As an adult, Eddie (played by Taron Egerton) seems to be doing well, he's not selected to join the British downhill skiing team due to his odd technique and just simply not being one of the best. He then sees that the country has not had a ski jumper in a long time, and decides to take advantage of that empty spot to secure a spot.

He packs his bags for Germany at the official training facility where his attempts to mingle with the other ski jumpers are met with laughter. While trying out the hills, he comes across alcoholic snow groomer Bronson Peary (played by Hugh Jackman). Eddie finds out that he used to be a part of the American Olympic team under the coaching of Warren Sharp (played by Christopher Walken). He takes pity and agrees to give Eddie the proper coaching. Eddie manages to win a local match that qualifies him to join the Olympic team. While the odds of winning are low, he's happy to be chasing his dream.

Eddie the Eagle sounds like your run of the mill sport biography and…basically is…but it's also self aware of that and has fun with itself. I can't think of another movie where ski jumping is portrayed and it looks really cool on a cinematic scale. The sport's high flying action allows for some impressive shots to prove that it was not computer generated.

Like Cool Runnings, it's also clearly not using the same story, given how silly a lot of the scenes flow. While it's not laugh out loud hilarious, it makes up by being just as upbeat as the latter. Taron Egerton is proving his worth as an actor, managing to be the perfect athlete and dweeb in one crazy experiment. You know his character is out of their element, but Taron makes him very likable. Hugh Jackman does well as his coach, more or less throwing in a lot of his charm and ability to play off the comedic writing to his advantage. Hugh gains cool points for his shot of ski jumping with a cigarette in his mouth.

Going into Eddie the Eagle, you really need to be in the right mood for it to hit you in the right spot.

I'll give this eight and a half ski jumpers out of ten. Those that want a gripping story of an athlete should look someplace else. But for those that want something upbeat like Cool Runnings and Rudy, then Eddie the Eagle should please you well enough. Despite the premise, this is no downhill crash; it's a flier that knows where to land.
  • The British love a plucky loser. "Eddie the Eagle" tells the astonishing but true story of everyman plasterer Eddie Edwards who qualified for, and then competed in, the Calgary Olympics in 1988 (probably most famous for those other plucky losers – the Jamaican bobsleigh team of Disney's "Cool Runnings" fame). I have absolutely no idea how the traditionally more success-driven and competitive American audience will see it, but the packed English showing I attended all clearly loved this film as a feel-good classic.

The film starts with Eddie's childhood, struggling out of leg braces to try to pursue his Olympic dream with no success whatsoever. (Excellent performances here by brothers Tom and Jack Costello who set-up the tone for the film). His battle is not just against his lack of skill: whilst his mother (Jo Hartley) is quietly supportive, his father Terry (Keith Allen) is – not unreasonably it must be said – hugely frustrated at his son's fanciful ideas, wanting him to follow in the family plastering tradition with the same zeal. (The gulf in ambition is vast – Eddie: "Didn't you have a dream when you were younger Dad?"; Terry: "Yes, plastering".)

Eventually Eddie finds a sport he is half decent in (by British standards!): downhill skiing, but is thwarted in following his Olympic dreams by smarmy and sneering Olympic selector Dustin Target, played by Tim McInnerny (from "Black Adder" and "Notting Hill"… someone who has rather cornered the market on 'smarmy and sneering'). It is then that he exploits ancient rules in the UK Olympic playbook to try to qualify in the discipline of ski-jumping: something no one has done since the 1920's. Linking up in Austria with an alcohol-infused coach and ex- jumper Bronson Peary (Hugh Jackman), Eddie faces the terrors of the 40m and then 70m jumps to try to learn the sport (16 years too late).

This film has been long in gestation, with both Steve Coogan and Rupert Grint originally earmarked for the role. But Matthew Vaughn's involvement in the current project probably contributed to Taron Egerton getting the job following their work together on last year's "Kingsman". And a great choice he is too. Almost unrecognizable from the sharp- suited Eggsy in "Kingsman" and gangster-sidekick Teddy in "Legend", Egerton switches effortlessly between clueless goofball and steely determined sportsman.

The film's emotional heart though is with Hugh Jackman's side-story, battling with drink after throwing his own chance away with US-coach Warren Sharp (a nice cameo by Christopher Walken). Although going a little OTT at times (we see for example that he is no Meg Ryan!), Jackman provides a solid acting foundation that the rest of the cast can play off.

Rounding out the cast are solid performances from Jo Hartley ("This is England") as Eddie's Mum, Mark Benton ("Waterloo Road") as a BOA official, Rune Temte as a bear of a Norwegian coach and the ever-warming Jim Broadbent as a BBC commentator.

An 'attaboy' should also go to the special effects crew headed up by Marty McLaughlin for making believe a man can fly. Whilst – you understand – not in any way doubting Jackman's ability to risk his pretty face on a 90m jump, the nighttime sequence of him doing that jump is really nicely executed (with cinematography by George Richmond).

A quick browse at Wikipedia will make it clear that there has been a lot of license taken with this as a "true story", and to be fair the prefix "based on a.." was used! And the film is not without irritations: Terry's negativity to his son's actions is about 25% overplayed in Simon Kelton's story, and the coach/protégé sub-plot has been overused in the past. The soundtrack (music) by Matthew Margeson is also rather grating particularly early on in the film: it is presumably going for 'period' in its use of Hammond organ cheesiness, but that music was tiresome in the 80's too! Fortunately Margeson redeems himself with some kick-ass (no pun intended) classic 80's tracks neatly edited into the action.

These criticisms aside, I dare you to come out of this film without a silly grin on your face. I certainly did. Directed by Dexter Fletcher ("Sunshine on Leith") it's not likely to win any Oscars, but in setting out to deliver what it said on the can it succeeded in all respects.

(Please visit bob-the-movie-man.com to see the graphical version of this review. You can also subscribe there for future reviews. Thanks.)
  • My husband and I saw this in a free screening prior to it opening for regular audiences, and I even wondered if I loved it so much because it was free, but I think I would have liked it just as much had I paid to see it! I do think that the movie benefits from being shown on a big wide screen with all the outdoor scenes - not sure I would have liked it so much had I seen it on a TV size screen. I felt all the characters were perfectly cast. While it may seem like a nit, the only annoying factor to me was that Eddie's glasses were falling down his nose the whole time - and while I know that was part of the character, it drove me crazy watching him!! However, the movie kept my interest the entire time, and was extremely enjoyable. By the end, I had tears of happiness streaming down my face - definitely one of the best feel-good movies I have seen in a long time!! HIGHLY recommend!!
    We all have a dream… or have had a dream at some point, at least. You may not have achieved your dream (yet), but I'm sure you remember what it is, even if you're not currently pursuing it. You may have been stopped or been hindered from seeing your dream come true because people told you it wasn't realistic or refused to support you when you needed them to (or both). Or maybe you chose to give up on that dream because you decided yourself that it wasn't practical or because you came to believe that you were too old, too busy, too poor, too… "whatever" to dream anymore. If any of this sounds familiar, then "Eddie the Eagle" (PG-13, 1:45) just might be your kind of movie. (And if ALL of this sounds familiar, you need to drop everything and go see this movie immediately – before it's too late!) The movie poster says "Inspired by a Dream Come True". That's appropriate (even if it's also a bit of a spoiler). In other words, this film is indeed inspired by a true story, but it's a highly fictionalized account of what really happened. There really is an Eddie Edwards who was nicknamed "The Eagle" and became Britain's only ski jumper in order to realize his childhood dreams of Olympic glory at the 1988 winter games in Calgary. Except for a few more details, that's about where the similarities between the film and reality end. Personally, I think the omitted details of Edwards' story are even more interesting than what appears on screen, but maybe they were left out to simplify the movie or make it even more of a crowd-pleaser. If that was the goal, mission accomplished! The filmmakers did, however, cast an actor who could act and be made to look like the real Edwards, right down to his gestures. It is impressive.

Since childhood, Eddie Edwards (Taron Egerton) had Olympic dreams, even though he was pudgy, had no discernible athletic talent and even wore a knee brace for years. But he kept his dream alive. Eddie tried his hand at a number of different Olympic events, unable to find the right one for him. But he kept trying. Many different people, including Eddie's own father, criticized and even mocked his dreams. But he just ignored them. Eddie decided on ski jumping even though he didn't know anything about it and was told repeatedly that, even in his early 20s, he was way too old to learn it and get good at it. But he still gave it his best shot. There were even multiple predictions of Eddie's failure, injury or even death if he pushed forward. But he refused to let fear or uncertainty stop him. At one point, Eddie proclaims, "I taking jumping very seriously. I love it. Nearly as much as I love proving people wrong." That he does.

Eddie didn't even have a coach. That is, until he suddenly left the home of his frustrated father and supportive mother (Jo Hartley), traveled to a ski jumping facility in Germany and met one of the employees, Bronson Peary (Hugh Jackman). Bronson is a former Olympic ski jumper who let his bad attitude derail his jumping career. He squandered his potential, ending up working as a maintenance man and drowning his sorrows in alcohol. As Eddie does small jumps and tries to learn how to jump by trial and error, Bronson repeatedly tells him to quit. Eventually, Bronson agrees to teach Eddie a few things, if for no other reason, to keep Eddie from killing himself as he trains. And if Eddie manages to overcome his alcoholic coach's gruffness – and his own lack of experience (talent) as a jumper, he still must get past the British Olympic Committee whose leader (Tim McInnerny) is intent on stopping Eddie.

"Eddie the Eagle" soars! Egerton is powerful, fun and funny in what is best described as a transformative performance, to be appreciated even more by those who saw him as a street-punk-turned-suave-secret-agent in 2015's "Kingman: The Secret Service". 2016 just serves to confirm Egerton as one of the finest young acting talents working today. Here, he makes a wonderful and endearing underdog. This film's story arc recalls another inspiring (basically) true sports story – 1993's "Rudy". Like many such movies, "Eddie" is guilty of being formulaic (right down to Jackman's charming, but now familiar portrayal of an underdog's main supporter) and I wish this film had stuck a little closer to the actual story, but these issues do little to harm the movie's emotional power and the sheer enjoyment of being in the audience.

Regardless of how successful Eddie is (or isn't) in the end, you'll want to stand up and shout, "Do you believe in miracles? YES!!" Hmmm. Sorry. Wrong Winter Olympics movie, but you get the point. "Eddie the Eagle" IS the feel-good movie of the year! If you have (or ever had) a dream, you're likely to enjoy this film… and it may even inspire you to dream about things you never thought possible. Isn't all that what movies are for? Everyone reading this review is witnessing the beginning of me realizing my dreams. This film reminded me of the rewards of determination and the joys of overcoming obstacles and accomplishing goals. I believe it will do the same for you – and entertain you in the process. "A-"
  • The film makers themselves warn you with the movie being publicized as a feel-good, underdog tale that provides family entertainment. And that is EXACTLY what this movie is!!! And even though the movie does not bring in anything new or more than what was expected from it, it is definitely a good watch.

The characters are extremely likable and the movie will have you rooting for 'Eddie' in no time.

From what I have read, the movie was not shot in Canada and is very loosely based on the actual life of the real Eddie the Eagle, so people from Calgary and people who actually know a lot about the real Eddie might be slightly disappointed.
  • I went in to this movie not knowing what to expect. I hadn't heard anything about the movie from anyone I knew, but I am so glad I ended up watching it. Eddie the Eagle, like most biopics, does not strive for historical accuracy, but rather tries and succeeds in tugging at the heartstrings. In a trending wave of serious, depressing, anti-hero, "realism-pics" Eddie the Eagle shines. This feel good comedy/drama was inspiring. Taron Egerton's portrayal of Eddie Edwards was fascinating and believable, not in the sense of historical accuracy, but rather in his ability to make the audience believe in the impossible and dare to dream. Even when everyone but your mom is rooting against you, you can still achieve your dreams! You can't leave this move not feeling good. It was a great movie, and more should be made like it!
  • Everyone loves a good underdog story, and sports films have always been a good avenue for those stories to thrive. I know a lot of people like to complain sometimes about 'biopics' and how they should be as close to the source material as possible, but I look at it a different way. I go to the movies for an experience. Whether that be to laugh, cry, smile, or whatever, I go for the experience. If a film would be better off taking plenty of liberties, I'm all for it. Eddie the Eagle definitely took that philosophy, and for the most part, it really worked.

First of all, I have to give a shout out to Elk Grove Cinema (not that they would actually be reading this) for inviting me to a preview screening of the film a few weeks before its wide release. Of course I jumped at the opportunity considering Hugh Jackman and the up and comer Taron Egerton were starring in a sports film, especially a seemingly uplifting one at that. The film absolutely did not disappoint. Similar to last week's Finest Hours, I went in with mediocre expectations, and came out very pleasantly satisfied with what I got. It's a feel good story that I think everyone can get behind. Eddie dreamed his entire life of competing in the Olympics and was told that he would never make it, naturally that's someone we would root for.

The good thing is that Egerton does more than just portray a sympathetic character. He transforms into Eddie the Eagle. I didn't know much about him before the film but it seems like he really pulled off Edwards' emotions and body language to a T. Jackman is also very good as the clichéd drunk washed up trainer that takes Eddie from being a wannabe to an Olympic athlete. I think that's what a lot of people will come out of the film saying, it's so clichéd. To an extent, they're not wrong. Each and every character is the prototype of what you would expect them to be, whether they are supporting Eddie or entirely against him. But I also don't think it was always a detriment to the film. Sometimes the clichés worked.

As I said, the film is incredible satisfying. It's one of the best examples of a pure crowd-pleaser. There's not much to dislike about the film. I absolutely loved the music choices including the score and some timely 80's song choices. Sure, I think the stakes could have been raised a bit here or there to give an even bigger emotional moment, but I can't say the film didn't already bring me to teary eyes at some points. And that to me, is an experience at the movies.

+Emotionally satisfying

+Egerton is terrific

+Music

+Jackman

-Some clichés are unnecessary

7.5/10
    I had free early preview tickets for this movie and forgot to use them. My daughter came home from school and told me it was released today and she wanted to see it. I was like what the hay. It was a surprise hit in my book. The casting was great, story flowed well, and the ending was a tear jerker. Was not a big budget, well advertised film, but sometimes those can be the most satisfying. I would highly recommend to anyone. One of the most enjoyable movies I have seen in a long time. This movie really exceeded all of our expectations I can't wait for the DVD. Hugh Jackman was fabulous the main character Eddie was perfectly cast. I'm not sure what else to say but his is a must see movie.
  • josepainumkal11 April 2018
    As a movie, it was so thrilling and engaging. I loved it... Hugh Jackman is one of my favorite actors in Hollywood and he didn't disappoint me in this flick also. Taron Eagorton gave us a promising performance as Eddie the Eagle. The 1:45 hrs was worthy and I thoroughly enjoyed it. My small advice to those who haven't seen this movie is, "don't check more on Eddie in internet or elsewhere...just watch the movie and forget this was a biopic..." and that will definitely help.
  • I hate sports. As long as I can remember I wasn't any good at them and I was some times bullied for it as a kid (but I'm not some fat nerd sitting in a basement at the computer eating chips either so don't get me wrong!) so at some level I think I can relate to Eddie as a character. I also hate bio movies. Mostly they are not accurate, as well as this one.

How ever when watching the movie I didn't know it was based on a real story and it managed to do what movies are supposed to do: It made me feel. So I don't care if it's accurate or not. Not very many movies have brought tears in my eyes. This one did, and I'm not very emotional guy. I enjoyed every moment of it. The acting was great, especially Egertons. Only thing i didn't like as a Finn, was Matti Nykänen. He should have been played by a real Finnish guy (now played by a Swedish actor) that could have done the accent and everything as badly as we Finns do.

If you want accuracy go to Wikipedia. This is a movie that's going to make you happy.

Sorry for my poor English.
  • simonpj10 September 2016
    This is the first review I have ever left but I was moved to write it by this movie.

I don't doubt that it includes some significant departures from real life but the essence of Eddie's struggle against adversity and the system is true. The attitude of the authorities in belittling his attempts to be an Olympian managed to annoy me all over again!

The movie is entertaining and fun while also challenging the over-professionalisation of the Olympics. Reminding us several times of the quote from the founder of the modern Olympics, that it's not about the winning but the taking part, not about the triumph but the struggle. Something is lost when the British Olympic Committee raise the qualification bar in a deliberate attempt to stop him going. And remember the IOC actually raised criteria straight after Calgary to ensure that there will never be another Eddie the Eagle.

The casting was brilliant, Taron Egerton a very believable Eddie (I'm someone who remembers 1988 all too well) and Hugh Jackman is always enjoyable but without stealing the show.

The only things I'd say as a slight negative are that I hope the BOA official wasn't quite as sneering in real life as Tim McInnery in the movie, and the 90 metre jump was spectacular it its own right and didn't need to be over dramatised - let's remember this guy jumped over 60 metres, with one year in the sport and the 90m jump at Calgary was his first!

Add in a cracking 80s sounds core and some superb visual effects and this movie is a cert for mine and many others' blu ray collections.
  • The clumsy Michael "Eddie" Edwards (Taron Egerton) has dreamed on participating in the Olympics Games since he was a boy. Eddie is not accepted by the British committee in skiing but not aware of his limits, he decides to dispute the dangerous ski-jumping sport. He befriends the former notorious alcoholic jumper Bronson Peary (Hugh Jackman) that helps him giving some instructions how to jump. Eddie succeeds to go to the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics but is rejected by everybody. When he decides to participate in the 90-meter jump, Bronson travels to Calgary to support him. What will happen to Eddie, The Eagle?

"Eddie The Eagle" is a film based on true events of a reckless and stubborn man that has decided to go to the Olympics since he was a boy. The screenplay shows a charismatic young man, but the main character has visibly psychological problems. Once he did not die in his stupid decision, he may have been worshiped and the writer decided to show him maybe as an example of determination and not stubbornness and irresponsibleness. But the feel-good film is highly entertaining and worthwhile watching. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Voando Alto" ("Flying High")
  • I was kind of skeptical about the film at first, based on it's name I expected it to be a comedy but it turned out to be much more than that. In some way the movie is inspirational to take on life's challenges to achieve one's goals and dreams. Based on a true story, the movie documents a personal challenges from personal motivations to bureaucratic by officials to ridicule and derision by team-mates that Eddie encountered and ultimately overcame to compete in the Olympic Ski Jump competition as the lone competitor in a field that the British are not known for. My only caveat with the film was that the producers faced certain logistical challenges re-creating the look and feel of the actual 1988 Olympic Winter Games in Calgary Canada so they focused a lot on close-ups and low-angle views which is understandable. Nevertheless I found the film highly enthralling and inspiring.
  • They don't get any better than this! This docu-film was as close to perfect as they come. Taron Egerton nailed his character as did Hugh Jackman and for that matter, the entire cast. The whole production - from directing, cinematography, writing, editing and even the score were all on point. A fun, inspirational, heartwarming and entertaining film for all ages, and a great tribute to Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards. A well deserved 9/10 from me.
  • When I was fourteen years old, I watched the Calgary Games and fell in love with the Winter Olympics forever. One of the reasons was all the hope and good feelings that those games brought. Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards had everything to do with that. If you remember those Olympics fondly I can't imagine that you won't love this movie. His is such a cheerful inspiring story. The film captures all of that. Taron Egerton, who looks nothing like the real person, transformed himself into the goofy guy we all came to love. Hugh Jackman is also great playing to type in a supportive father figure-ish role. I also like the way the filmmakers used the music and what I would call bullet time. If done right, the film would have been emotional already but those things really heightened it to make it one of the all-time great movies about believing in yourself. Fans of movies like 'Miracle' or 'Billy Elliot' should love it. I've seen it twice already. I can't recommend it highly enough.
  • I won't say this is a great movie but it is very enjoyable. My wife enjoyed it more than I did but I think that was due to the fact I knew how it turned out, I remember watching Eddie in the Olympics. They guy playing Eddie nailed it, Hugh Jackman was okay, a bit over the top as the washed up and drunken, bitter former ski jumper. Christopher Walken was very subdued in what amounted to a cameo. The story takes you on a journey of, basically, a lovable loser. A kid with an Olympic dream and almost no athletic ability or talent. However far he goes will be due to stubbornness and, probably poor judgement. Not to mention a whole lot of guts! Anyone that has ever seen "The agony of defeat" on ABC's Wide World of Sports knows ski jumpers are crazy. That The Eagle takes up the sport well into his 20's makes him almost certifiably insane. The movie takes the viewer through all the ups and downs, improbabilities and seemingly impossibilities but it does a pretty fair job. Several smiles will cross your lips, perhaps even a few laughs, you will, by the end of the movie, feel some emotion. Normally feel good movies leave me cold, not this one. Don't expect an Oscar nomination for Movie of the year but it is a lot closer to an Oscar than it is to a Razzie. Two Thumbs up!
  • Python Hyena3 March 2016
    Eddie the Eagle (2016): Dir: Dexter Fletcher / Cast: Taron Egerton, Hugh Jackman, Christopher Walken, Jo Hartley, Edvin Endre: Feel good true story inspired film about one's ability to dream big. Taron Egerton dons thick glasses to portray this British underdog who dreams of skiing the big jumps in the Olympics while representing England. He meets much opposition beginning with his father's discouragement despite happy cheers from his mother. His competition is less than good sports and apply cheat tactics to roadblock his progress. Finally the officials behind these events attempt every dirty trick to prevent him from moving forward. This is surprisingly well written and paced so effectively that we can forgive the formula and just celebrate its innocence. The one annoyance given is the clichéd and pathetic rival players or authority figures working against Eddie. Egerton makes an interesting transformation as Eddie playing off his naive nature with humorous innocence. We root for him as he attempts several steep and dangerous ski jumps only to crash to a crumpled heap on the ground. Yet through determination he sets his goals high. Hugh Jackman plays Bronson Peary, a former ski champion whose career faded as his alcohol abuse settled in. He reluctantly coaches Eddie and finds inspiration returning. Christopher Walken makes an appearance as someone who observed the fall of Peary's talent. Rounding it out comically is the opposite reactions of Eddie's parents. Dream big and never give up as one might discover that life's biggest jumps are God's ultimate gifts. Score: 9 / 10
    I have a soft spot for these feel-good type movies and this is easily one of the best I've seen in a long time. All of the characters just ooze charm and I found myself smiling throughout the entire film. I'm not actually familiar with the real Eddie Edwards but this story was so heartwarming that I feel like I'm going to have to find out more about the guy. This flick is directed by Dexter Fletcher and I honestly don't know of anything else he has directed, but I'm definitely looking forward to more from him especially if it's as good as this movie.

Eddie Edwards (Taron Egerton) is a young man that has dreamed of becoming an Olympic athlete ever since he was a young boy. He's actually an accomplished skier but is refused admission on to the Olympic team since he doesn't have the "look" or upbringing that the English Olympic officials desire. He decides to become a ski jumper since England doesn't have one and they would be forced to let him compete. Unfortunately, he has to learn how to actually ski jump first and he'll need a little help from an ex-ski jumper named Bronson Peary (Hugh Jackman). Eddie's determination soon charms everyone he comes into contact with and earns him a spot in Olympic history.

I thought all of the actors did a great job with this one but I especially enjoyed the chemistry between Egerton and Jackman. These two play off of each other so well it's almost scary. I didn't even recognize Egerton when I first saw the movie. Eddie is so different from the character he played in Kingsman that it didn't even occur to me that they were the same person. Egerton absolutely nails this role and is easily one of the most affable characters I've seen in any film for a long time. I enjoy seeing Jackman in just about anything he does and this movie is no exception. There were a few scenes where it felt like I was watching Wolverine on screen rather than Bronson but it didn't bother me at all. He doesn't steal the scenes quite the way Egerton does though.

The scenes involving the actual ski jumping is done very well and you really get the feeling of awe and danger that the sport instills in its participants. Seeing the hills ascend into the sky can be a bit daunting and I enjoyed how they helped us to experience the sense of speed that the ski jumpers feel when going down the incline at something around seventy miles an hour. It kind of makes me want to go ski jumping but I soon realized that was a ridiculously bad idea.

This film is really just a lot of fun and is incredibly heartwarming. Nothing really out of the ordinary is being done here but it's done so well that it's difficult not to legitimately feel for Eddie and his predicament. You have to love a guy that is willing to do whatever it takes to succeed despite all the criticism coming his way. Like I said before, nothing really unique being done on this one but I have to recommend it just because of how great the film is. I honestly can't think of anyone that wouldn't enjoy this one.
  • Ace 53126 January 2016
    Saw an advance screening of this tonight (1/26). Very good story (based on true events) of Eddie Edwards who, in 1988 was Britain's first ski jumper in the Winter Olympics in Calgary. He previously had been a fairly decent downhill skier who missed out on being on GB's team and then decided to change his sport to ski jumping since GB had no one else. The movie goes on to his trials to get certified to be on the Olympic team. Movie has him training in Europe although he actually trained at Lake Placid, NY.

Taron Egerton plays "Eddie" and Hugh Jackman is his coach. Jackman becomes his coach after observing that Eddie perhaps has no talent at all but has plenty of resolve and determination to achieve his goal of being an Olympian. Beautiful scenery throughout with some of the shots looking as if they had been taken directly from the 1988 Olympics.

This is a movie far different from the current trend of action, end of the world movies, but being based on a true story will easily hold your interest. It's not described as a comedy, but there are plenty of humorous scenes in it.
  • So many movies have injected liberal amounts of post-modernist snark as of late. If done right the snark translates to layers and layers of humor and meta-humor that rewards repeated viewings. Deadpool (2016) certainly comes to mind as the strongest recent example. If done wrong however, it becomes an unbearable echo chamber of self- congratulatory wink-winks and nudge-nudges (Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp (2015) anyone?). Eddie the Eagle is not a snarky movie. It's unabashedly sincere and tenacious in its embrace of the inspiring no matter how corny.

Eddie the Eagle is based on the true story of Eddie Edwards (Egerton) an amateur skier who represented Great Britain during the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary, Canada. Known early on for his tenacity, the movie represents him as a naive young man with a penchant for clumsiness. Failing every attempt to be qualified as a downhill skier, Eddie makes his way to Garmish-Partenkirchen, Germany to learn and master the Olympic sport of ski jumping. While there, he's openly ridiculed by all for his lack of talent, finance and balance. Taking notice of Eddie's near suicidal commitment however, is former Olympic team washout Bronson Peary (Jackman), who takes him under his wing and trains him for success on the slopes.

Your ability to outright love Eddie the Eagle is predicated on your ability to absorb cliché. This film is an inspirational sports movie that knowingly borrows elements from other movies right down to the stuffy official who undermines Eddie's attempts to qualify (McInnerny). Yes there are training montages set to catchy 80's tunes, yes there's the obligatory hard to please parent (Allen) and yes there's the inspirational moment, right before the climax, where our hero gets encouragement from an unexpected source. What makes this movie special is it runs at these clichés head-on; as if they're not story elements directly lifted from Rocky (1976), Ski Patrol (1990) and Hot Dog...The Movie (1984). Much like Eddie himself, the movie doesn't care if it wins records; it's just happy to be on-screen warming your heart and making you laugh. One can't help but admire such enthusiasm.

Of course if you're too cynical for a feel good sports movie you can at least appreciate the stellar cast rounded out by Taron Egerton. The man is destined for stardom providing the same underdog sensitivity he brought to Kingsman's (2014) Eggsy only with a deft sense of comedic timing. Jackman isn't at his best but boy does he seem to be having a lot of fun playing the permanently drunk Peary. He refers his flask as his "jacket," and has a chemistry with Egerton that borders on brotherly. Jo Hartley and Keith Allen are polar opposites as Eddie's parents and provide much of the humor in their back and forths. You can tell they both mean well yet Hartley is constantly undermining Allen's pragmatic approach to Eddie's struggles. She's the dreamer, he's the realist; both wear their characters well.

Eddie carries with him a lunchbox filled with all the medals he's won throughout the years. Most of those medals consist of broken, thick-framed glasses with insanely thick lenses. Those who scoff at the state of sport today and make a stink about how competition is being scuttled by participation trophies are missing the point. Sportsmanship is not about beating the other guy, it's about achieving your personal best. This movie wears that theme firmly on its sleeve and it's truly a joy to see something that doesn't resort to self-reference to get it's point across. While not a masterpiece in the purest sense, Eddie the Eagle firmly places itself as this generation's Rudy (1993).