User Reviews (152)

• BigGuy27 January 2016
    Feel-good Biopic
    First of all, I have to say that I'm generally not a fan of biopics, they just aren't the type of movie I seek out. I got tickets to the sneak preview and my wife really wanted to go. Anyway, that preamble out of the way, I really did enjoy the movie.

Eddie the Eagle is a story about an underdog in every sense of the word. One theme that is repeated throughout the movie, is the quote from Pierre de Coubertin (father of the modern Olympics), "The important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win, but to take part; the important thing in Life is not triumph, but the struggle; the essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well." The story follows Eddie from the time he's a little kid with dreams of going to the Olympics. It follows him through his many assorted set-backs, and all the people around him who saw only failure in his future. It also shows the moments when he got helping hands when he most needed it. This movie is about his struggle.

The casting in the movie was quite good. I remember Eddie the Eagle from TV when I was young, and Taron Egerton does an excellent job in the role of Eddie. Hugh Jackman puts in a good performance as the coach Bronson Peary, and manages not to overpower Eddie's character. But while Taron Egerton really assumes the part of Eddie, a lot of Hugh Jackman leaks into his role as coach Peary.

The roles of Eddie's parents are also well played, and the actress playing his mother, Jo Hartley, gives a particularly poignant portrayal. The father, played by Keith Allen (currently uncredited on IMDb) is a bit of a caricature, but well acted. Actually, a lot of the supporting cast of characters are caricatures, especially the other ski-jumpers/coaches and the British Olympians/Olympic Committee. But to an extent that serves to emphasize the struggle for Eddie. Also, for those intent on seeing this film for Christopher Walked, he has a very small role.

While, I have emphasized the struggle aspect of the story, there is a lot of comedy thrown into the mix as well. The tone is upbeat throughout, even when Eddie has setbacks. While some of the failures are played for laughs (mostly early in the film), it's mostly Eddie's perseverance that makes this film endearing. It also feels like we're laughing with Eddie rather than at him, since it seems Eddie's in on the joke.

If you're on the fence about seeing this movie, I say give it a shot.
  • joshh83-283-17183727 February 2016
    Not an Oscar Winner - But a Satisfying Film
    Some films are merely created for entertainment and to tell a story. This is one of those films that you're not going to hear about during award season but it was certainly satisfying and worth the time.

Egerton was a perfect choice to play Eddie, from his off beat humor to his on spot facial expressions, and Hugh Jackman is a great compliment as the supporting role. Both characters are total opposites, each flawed in their own way, but really mesh together on screen.

The movie is fun and the story, based on the Eddie the Eagles dream of going to the Olympics, was nicely told with clean comedy paced throughout.

Not knowing the outcome of the true story, I was on edge rooting for Eddie throughout - just like the crowds in the stands on film.

Really glad they made this film, it's such a fun story and Eddie The Eagle is so deserving for a film that honors his hard work dedicated to his Olympic dream.

Have fun with this one!
  • homer-4587212 February 2016
    Must See feel good Movie
    With a nice touch of humor you cannot come away from this movie without feeling a sense of accomplishment regardless of the actual outcome. The movie inspires you to reflect on any challenge we may have faced on our own lives and inspires us to actually rethink how we may have handled it or behaved differently. Taron Edgerton played a very believable character giving the audience a real sense at who Eddie Edwards really was and how he lived his youth through perseverance and fortitude by simply not giving up. The film cleverly portrays this very quickly through a brief introduction into Eddies childhood. The story is written well and the story really gives us a sense of who Eddie is and the drive to fulfill a promise to himself. Hugh Jackman brings a humorous side to the film with just enough serious touch that you do not loose sight of the significant effort that was made by Eddie Edwards. I was glad to be invited to a early preview and hope that all who see this film enjoy it as much as I did.
  • rbeardslee-9781711 February 2016
    A Great Movie that left my Wife and I satisfied, inspired and smiling
    A very funny, enjoyable and inspiring movie for the whole family.

A human interest film that are rare these days with so many movies that rely on bravado and special effects.

Based on a true story, which proves if you have dreams from a young age that persist you should follow them no matter what the odds are against them and ignore all the doubters that tell you you cannot achieve them.

The human spirit and believing in one's self are very powerful forces.

Eddie is a character that you cannot dislike.

Hugh Jackman's character helps Eddie achieve his dream since Eddie would not be deterred.

Eddie unknowingly helps Hugh Jackman's character out of his funk and he is re-born again.

We highly recommend this film.
  • tony r17 February 2016
    Go see it, better than 90 percent of the garbage out there
    Saw this movie at an advance screening and Eddie the Eagle was awesome.

The movie did not disappoint at all.

Great insight into the story of Eddie Edwards and the sport of ski jumping.

Very dangerous sport but very beautiful to look at.

The movie had a lot of heart and humor.

Will look forward to this movie making its way on Blu-ray.

I would gladly pay to add it to my collection.

Great visuals as well.

I wish the movie gets the praise it deserves as it really is better than a lot of the trash coming thru movie theaters now.
  • bob-the-movie-man29 March 2016
    Taron continues to impress as 'Eggsy' (sic) the Eagle
    The British love a plucky loser. "Eddie the Eagle" tells the astonishing but true story of everyman plasterer Eddie Edwards who qualified for, and then competed in, the Calgary Olympics in 1988 (probably most famous for those other plucky losers – the Jamaican bobsleigh team of Disney's "Cool Runnings" fame). I have absolutely no idea how the traditionally more success-driven and competitive American audience will see it, but the packed English showing I attended all clearly loved this film as a feel-good classic.

The film starts with Eddie's childhood, struggling out of leg braces to try to pursue his Olympic dream with no success whatsoever. (Excellent performances here by brothers Tom and Jack Costello who set-up the tone for the film). His battle is not just against his lack of skill: whilst his mother (Jo Hartley) is quietly supportive, his father Terry (Keith Allen) is – not unreasonably it must be said – hugely frustrated at his son's fanciful ideas, wanting him to follow in the family plastering tradition with the same zeal. (The gulf in ambition is vast – Eddie: "Didn't you have a dream when you were younger Dad?"; Terry: "Yes, plastering".)

Eventually Eddie finds a sport he is half decent in (by British standards!): downhill skiing, but is thwarted in following his Olympic dreams by smarmy and sneering Olympic selector Dustin Target, played by Tim McInnerny (from "Black Adder" and "Notting Hill"… someone who has rather cornered the market on 'smarmy and sneering'). It is then that he exploits ancient rules in the UK Olympic playbook to try to qualify in the discipline of ski-jumping: something no one has done since the 1920's. Linking up in Austria with an alcohol-infused coach and ex- jumper Bronson Peary (Hugh Jackman), Eddie faces the terrors of the 40m and then 70m jumps to try to learn the sport (16 years too late).

This film has been long in gestation, with both Steve Coogan and Rupert Grint originally earmarked for the role. But Matthew Vaughn's involvement in the current project probably contributed to Taron Egerton getting the job following their work together on last year's "Kingsman". And a great choice he is too. Almost unrecognizable from the sharp- suited Eggsy in "Kingsman" and gangster-sidekick Teddy in "Legend", Egerton switches effortlessly between clueless goofball and steely determined sportsman.

The film's emotional heart though is with Hugh Jackman's side-story, battling with drink after throwing his own chance away with US-coach Warren Sharp (a nice cameo by Christopher Walken). Although going a little OTT at times (we see for example that he is no Meg Ryan!), Jackman provides a solid acting foundation that the rest of the cast can play off.

Rounding out the cast are solid performances from Jo Hartley ("This is England") as Eddie's Mum, Mark Benton ("Waterloo Road") as a BOA official, Rune Temte as a bear of a Norwegian coach and the ever-warming Jim Broadbent as a BBC commentator.

An 'attaboy' should also go to the special effects crew headed up by Marty McLaughlin for making believe a man can fly. Whilst – you understand – not in any way doubting Jackman's ability to risk his pretty face on a 90m jump, the nighttime sequence of him doing that jump is really nicely executed (with cinematography by George Richmond).

A quick browse at Wikipedia will make it clear that there has been a lot of license taken with this as a "true story", and to be fair the prefix "based on a.." was used! And the film is not without irritations: Terry's negativity to his son's actions is about 25% overplayed in Simon Kelton's story, and the coach/protégé sub-plot has been overused in the past. The soundtrack (music) by Matthew Margeson is also rather grating particularly early on in the film: it is presumably going for 'period' in its use of Hammond organ cheesiness, but that music was tiresome in the 80's too! Fortunately Margeson redeems himself with some kick-ass (no pun intended) classic 80's tracks neatly edited into the action.

These criticisms aside, I dare you to come out of this film without a silly grin on your face. I certainly did. Directed by Dexter Fletcher ("Sunshine on Leith") it's not likely to win any Oscars, but in setting out to deliver what it said on the can it succeeded in all respects.

(Please visit to see the graphical version of this review. You can also subscribe there for future reviews. Thanks.)
  • RforFilm4 March 2016
    Eddie the Eagle is no downhill crash; it flies with upbeat spirit and lands with a comedic tone.
    As a Southern-Californian, snow might as well come from a different world. We receive at the most, a few flurries in the winter, but even then, it needs to be on a full moon on a leap year if it's not Tuesday. That said, we can still provide a wealth of athletes in sports that are played in the winter. Both local ice hockey teams, the Anaheim Ducks and the Los Angeles Kings, have won the Stanley Cup and are seen as some of the best hockey teams in America. Shaun White, famous snowboarder, hails from San Diego and Michelle Kwan, the figure skater, is from the L.A. area.

The lesson here is that a champion can come from anywhere. A good movie that provides this example is Cool Runnings from Disney. This portrays the country of Jamaica creating a bobsled team for the 1988 Winter Olympics. Though goofy and clearly not a realistic representation of what happened, the movie was upbeat about one following their dreams to become an Olympic athlete. What's interesting that today's movie was set during the same 1988 Olympics. Eddie the Eagle looks at an aspiring ski jumper as he tries to go fro the gold.

Ever since he was a young boy, Eddie Edwards has wanted to go to the Olympics, yet has little athletic skill. He tries his hand at several sports until he sees skiing as his best shot. As an adult, Eddie (played by Taron Egerton) seems to be doing well, he's not selected to join the British downhill skiing team due to his odd technique and just simply not being one of the best. He then sees that the country has not had a ski jumper in a long time, and decides to take advantage of that empty spot to secure a spot.

He packs his bags for Germany at the official training facility where his attempts to mingle with the other ski jumpers are met with laughter. While trying out the hills, he comes across alcoholic snow groomer Bronson Peary (played by Hugh Jackman). Eddie finds out that he used to be a part of the American Olympic team under the coaching of Warren Sharp (played by Christopher Walken). He takes pity and agrees to give Eddie the proper coaching. Eddie manages to win a local match that qualifies him to join the Olympic team. While the odds of winning are low, he's happy to be chasing his dream.

Eddie the Eagle sounds like your run of the mill sport biography and…basically is…but it's also self aware of that and has fun with itself. I can't think of another movie where ski jumping is portrayed and it looks really cool on a cinematic scale. The sport's high flying action allows for some impressive shots to prove that it was not computer generated.

Like Cool Runnings, it's also clearly not using the same story, given how silly a lot of the scenes flow. While it's not laugh out loud hilarious, it makes up by being just as upbeat as the latter. Taron Egerton is proving his worth as an actor, managing to be the perfect athlete and dweeb in one crazy experiment. You know his character is out of their element, but Taron makes him very likable. Hugh Jackman does well as his coach, more or less throwing in a lot of his charm and ability to play off the comedic writing to his advantage. Hugh gains cool points for his shot of ski jumping with a cigarette in his mouth.

Going into Eddie the Eagle, you really need to be in the right mood for it to hit you in the right spot.

I'll give this eight and a half ski jumpers out of ten. Those that want a gripping story of an athlete should look someplace else. But for those that want something upbeat like Cool Runnings and Rudy, then Eddie the Eagle should please you well enough. Despite the premise, this is no downhill crash; it's a flier that knows where to land.
  • Dave McClain21 February 2016
    "Eddie the Eagle" soars!
    We all have a dream… or have had a dream at some point, at least. You may not have achieved your dream (yet), but I'm sure you remember what it is, even if you're not currently pursuing it. You may have been stopped or been hindered from seeing your dream come true because people told you it wasn't realistic or refused to support you when you needed them to (or both). Or maybe you chose to give up on that dream because you decided yourself that it wasn't practical or because you came to believe that you were too old, too busy, too poor, too… "whatever" to dream anymore. If any of this sounds familiar, then "Eddie the Eagle" (PG-13, 1:45) just might be your kind of movie. (And if ALL of this sounds familiar, you need to drop everything and go see this movie immediately – before it's too late!) The movie poster says "Inspired by a Dream Come True". That's appropriate (even if it's also a bit of a spoiler). In other words, this film is indeed inspired by a true story, but it's a highly fictionalized account of what really happened. There really is an Eddie Edwards who was nicknamed "The Eagle" and became Britain's only ski jumper in order to realize his childhood dreams of Olympic glory at the 1988 winter games in Calgary. Except for a few more details, that's about where the similarities between the film and reality end. Personally, I think the omitted details of Edwards' story are even more interesting than what appears on screen, but maybe they were left out to simplify the movie or make it even more of a crowd-pleaser. If that was the goal, mission accomplished! The filmmakers did, however, cast an actor who could act and be made to look like the real Edwards, right down to his gestures. It is impressive.

Since childhood, Eddie Edwards (Taron Egerton) had Olympic dreams, even though he was pudgy, had no discernible athletic talent and even wore a knee brace for years. But he kept his dream alive. Eddie tried his hand at a number of different Olympic events, unable to find the right one for him. But he kept trying. Many different people, including Eddie's own father, criticized and even mocked his dreams. But he just ignored them. Eddie decided on ski jumping even though he didn't know anything about it and was told repeatedly that, even in his early 20s, he was way too old to learn it and get good at it. But he still gave it his best shot. There were even multiple predictions of Eddie's failure, injury or even death if he pushed forward. But he refused to let fear or uncertainty stop him. At one point, Eddie proclaims, "I taking jumping very seriously. I love it. Nearly as much as I love proving people wrong." That he does.

Eddie didn't even have a coach. That is, until he suddenly left the home of his frustrated father and supportive mother (Jo Hartley), traveled to a ski jumping facility in Germany and met one of the employees, Bronson Peary (Hugh Jackman). Bronson is a former Olympic ski jumper who let his bad attitude derail his jumping career. He squandered his potential, ending up working as a maintenance man and drowning his sorrows in alcohol. As Eddie does small jumps and tries to learn how to jump by trial and error, Bronson repeatedly tells him to quit. Eventually, Bronson agrees to teach Eddie a few things, if for no other reason, to keep Eddie from killing himself as he trains. And if Eddie manages to overcome his alcoholic coach's gruffness – and his own lack of experience (talent) as a jumper, he still must get past the British Olympic Committee whose leader (Tim McInnerny) is intent on stopping Eddie.

"Eddie the Eagle" soars! Egerton is powerful, fun and funny in what is best described as a transformative performance, to be appreciated even more by those who saw him as a street-punk-turned-suave-secret-agent in 2015's "Kingman: The Secret Service". 2016 just serves to confirm Egerton as one of the finest young acting talents working today. Here, he makes a wonderful and endearing underdog. This film's story arc recalls another inspiring (basically) true sports story – 1993's "Rudy". Like many such movies, "Eddie" is guilty of being formulaic (right down to Jackman's charming, but now familiar portrayal of an underdog's main supporter) and I wish this film had stuck a little closer to the actual story, but these issues do little to harm the movie's emotional power and the sheer enjoyment of being in the audience.

Regardless of how successful Eddie is (or isn't) in the end, you'll want to stand up and shout, "Do you believe in miracles? YES!!" Hmmm. Sorry. Wrong Winter Olympics movie, but you get the point. "Eddie the Eagle" IS the feel-good movie of the year! If you have (or ever had) a dream, you're likely to enjoy this film… and it may even inspire you to dream about things you never thought possible. Isn't all that what movies are for? Everyone reading this review is witnessing the beginning of me realizing my dreams. This film reminded me of the rewards of determination and the joys of overcoming obstacles and accomplishing goals. I believe it will do the same for you – and entertain you in the process. "A-"
  • nrau14 February 2016
    Feel good and let the tears of happiness flow!
    My husband and I saw this in a free screening prior to it opening for regular audiences, and I even wondered if I loved it so much because it was free, but I think I would have liked it just as much had I paid to see it! I do think that the movie benefits from being shown on a big wide screen with all the outdoor scenes - not sure I would have liked it so much had I seen it on a TV size screen. I felt all the characters were perfectly cast. While it may seem like a nit, the only annoying factor to me was that Eddie's glasses were falling down his nose the whole time - and while I know that was part of the character, it drove me crazy watching him!! However, the movie kept my interest the entire time, and was extremely enjoyable. By the end, I had tears of happiness streaming down my face - definitely one of the best feel-good movies I have seen in a long time!! HIGHLY recommend!!
  • kylereid-186-65017624 May 2016
    Great Movie!!
    I went in to this movie not knowing what to expect. I hadn't heard anything about the movie from anyone I knew, but I am so glad I ended up watching it. Eddie the Eagle, like most biopics, does not strive for historical accuracy, but rather tries and succeeds in tugging at the heartstrings. In a trending wave of serious, depressing, anti-hero, "realism-pics" Eddie the Eagle shines. This feel good comedy/drama was inspiring. Taron Egerton's portrayal of Eddie Edwards was fascinating and believable, not in the sense of historical accuracy, but rather in his ability to make the audience believe in the impossible and dare to dream. Even when everyone but your mom is rooting against you, you can still achieve your dreams! You can't leave this move not feeling good. It was a great movie, and more should be made like it!
  • Sachet Patil27 January 2016
    Exactly as expected
    The film makers themselves warn you with the movie being publicized as a feel-good, underdog tale that provides family entertainment. And that is EXACTLY what this movie is!!! And even though the movie does not bring in anything new or more than what was expected from it, it is definitely a good watch.

The characters are extremely likable and the movie will have you rooting for 'Eddie' in no time.

From what I have read, the movie was not shot in Canada and is very loosely based on the actual life of the real Eddie the Eagle, so people from Calgary and people who actually know a lot about the real Eddie might be slightly disappointed.
  • Thomas Drufke3 February 2016
    Important Thing is Not to Win, But to Take Part
    Everyone loves a good underdog story, and sports films have always been a good avenue for those stories to thrive. I know a lot of people like to complain sometimes about 'biopics' and how they should be as close to the source material as possible, but I look at it a different way. I go to the movies for an experience. Whether that be to laugh, cry, smile, or whatever, I go for the experience. If a film would be better off taking plenty of liberties, I'm all for it. Eddie the Eagle definitely took that philosophy, and for the most part, it really worked.

First of all, I have to give a shout out to Elk Grove Cinema (not that they would actually be reading this) for inviting me to a preview screening of the film a few weeks before its wide release. Of course I jumped at the opportunity considering Hugh Jackman and the up and comer Taron Egerton were starring in a sports film, especially a seemingly uplifting one at that. The film absolutely did not disappoint. Similar to last week's Finest Hours, I went in with mediocre expectations, and came out very pleasantly satisfied with what I got. It's a feel good story that I think everyone can get behind. Eddie dreamed his entire life of competing in the Olympics and was told that he would never make it, naturally that's someone we would root for.

The good thing is that Egerton does more than just portray a sympathetic character. He transforms into Eddie the Eagle. I didn't know much about him before the film but it seems like he really pulled off Edwards' emotions and body language to a T. Jackman is also very good as the clichéd drunk washed up trainer that takes Eddie from being a wannabe to an Olympic athlete. I think that's what a lot of people will come out of the film saying, it's so clichéd. To an extent, they're not wrong. Each and every character is the prototype of what you would expect them to be, whether they are supporting Eddie or entirely against him. But I also don't think it was always a detriment to the film. Sometimes the clichés worked.

As I said, the film is incredible satisfying. It's one of the best examples of a pure crowd-pleaser. There's not much to dislike about the film. I absolutely loved the music choices including the score and some timely 80's song choices. Sure, I think the stakes could have been raised a bit here or there to give an even bigger emotional moment, but I can't say the film didn't already bring me to teary eyes at some points. And that to me, is an experience at the movies.

+Emotionally satisfying

+Egerton is terrific

-Some clichés are unnecessary

• Claudio Carvalho2 July 2017
    The Story of a Stubborn and Reckless Man
    The clumsy Michael "Eddie" Edwards (Taron Egerton) has dreamed on participating in the Olympics Games since he was a boy. Eddie is not accepted by the British committee in skiing but not aware of his limits, he decides to dispute the dangerous ski-jumping sport. He befriends the former notorious alcoholic jumper Bronson Peary (Hugh Jackman) that helps him giving some instructions how to jump. Eddie succeeds to go to the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics but is rejected by everybody. When he decides to participate in the 90-meter jump, Bronson travels to Calgary to support him. What will happen to Eddie, The Eagle?

"Eddie The Eagle" is a film based on true events of a reckless and stubborn man that has decided to go to the Olympics since he was a boy. The screenplay shows a charismatic young man, but the main character has visibly psychological problems. Once he did not die in his stupid decision, he may have been worshiped and the writer decided to show him maybe as an example of determination and not stubbornness and irresponsibleness. But the feel-good film is highly entertaining and worthwhile watching. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Voando Alto" ("Flying High")
  • simonpj10 September 2016
    Must see
    This is the first review I have ever left but I was moved to write it by this movie.

I don't doubt that it includes some significant departures from real life but the essence of Eddie's struggle against adversity and the system is true. The attitude of the authorities in belittling his attempts to be an Olympian managed to annoy me all over again!

The movie is entertaining and fun while also challenging the over-professionalisation of the Olympics. Reminding us several times of the quote from the founder of the modern Olympics, that it's not about the winning but the taking part, not about the triumph but the struggle. Something is lost when the British Olympic Committee raise the qualification bar in a deliberate attempt to stop him going. And remember the IOC actually raised criteria straight after Calgary to ensure that there will never be another Eddie the Eagle.

The casting was brilliant, Taron Egerton a very believable Eddie (I'm someone who remembers 1988 all too well) and Hugh Jackman is always enjoyable but without stealing the show.

The only things I'd say as a slight negative are that I hope the BOA official wasn't quite as sneering in real life as Tim McInnery in the movie, and the 90 metre jump was spectacular it its own right and didn't need to be over dramatised - let's remember this guy jumped over 60 metres, with one year in the sport and the 90m jump at Calgary was his first!

Add in a cracking 80s sounds core and some superb visual effects and this movie is a cert for mine and many others' blu ray collections.
  • lemontmom226 February 2016
    Surprise Hit. A real feel good movie 2016 FAV
    I had free early preview tickets for this movie and forgot to use them. My daughter came home from school and told me it was released today and she wanted to see it. I was like what the hay. It was a surprise hit in my book. The casting was great, story flowed well, and the ending was a tear jerker. Was not a big budget, well advertised film, but sometimes those can be the most satisfying. I would highly recommend to anyone. One of the most enjoyable movies I have seen in a long time. This movie really exceeded all of our expectations I can't wait for the DVD. Hugh Jackman was fabulous the main character Eddie was perfectly cast. I'm not sure what else to say but his is a must see movie.
  • anthonymaw28 February 2016
    Great drama film - enjoyable and enthralling
    I was kind of skeptical about the film at first, based on it's name I expected it to be a comedy but it turned out to be much more than that. In some way the movie is inspirational to take on life's challenges to achieve one's goals and dreams. Based on a true story, the movie documents a personal challenges from personal motivations to bureaucratic by officials to ridicule and derision by team-mates that Eddie encountered and ultimately overcame to compete in the Olympic Ski Jump competition as the lone competitor in a field that the British are not known for. My only caveat with the film was that the producers faced certain logistical challenges re-creating the look and feel of the actual 1988 Olympic Winter Games in Calgary Canada so they focused a lot on close-ups and low-angle views which is understandable. Nevertheless I found the film highly enthralling and inspiring.
  • David29 June 2016
    The best sport films need a true underdog story
    I've seen some sport films through the years but I've actually never seen one about ski jumping. Eddie the Eagle is the truth based story of the British ski jumper Michael "Eddie" Edwards who participated in the 1988 Olympic winter games in Calgary, Canada. Eddie has since childhood, dreamed of becoming an Olympic participant. When he gets older and is denied to compete in downhill skiing by the British committee, he decides to try ski jumping instead. The problem is that the Olympic games is one year away and Eddie has never before in his life tried ski jumping. The incredibly charming Taron Egerton plays Eddie the Eagle and Hugh Jackman also takes part as the drunken American ex pro jumper Bronson Peary.

Classic underdog stories always works well within the sport genre and really are a well played card by now. And yet there is something with the story about Eddie that grabs hold of me. Nobody believes in him, he is odd and rather strange. Despite dealing with all the resistance and sometimes humiliation, he never gives up. The thing that also really keeps me interested is the ski jumping. I have always found that sport pretty funny, but I now seriously have to confess that I would never dare to jump that high with skis on. Hugh Jackman's mentor character is actually very cliché and perhaps a bit exaggerated. They should probably have toned him down to add a little more realism in the story.

According to the filmmakers the story is really not that truthful, especially not the parts about Eddie Edward's life outside of ski jumping. His result and what happened to him is however not changed that much, but besides that much of the story is made for film. I really don't think that's a problem. I rank Rocky as my favorite sport film and it is because I think that the ultimate sport film needs an underdog story. It is actually the same thing here in Eddie the Eagle. A struggle for the little man and a display with an encouragement to never give up. Perhaps well needed in our sometimes dark world.

David Lindahl -
  • Chappy Watched23 June 2016
    Chappy Watched: Eddie The Eagle
    I've gone from knowing nothing about this film, to hearing bits of what it's about when it was released in cinemas to watching it now and absolutely loving it!

The story is beautiful and heartwarming. Eddie is just a resilient, determined guy who even when things aren't going right, always seems to find the lighter side of things.

Taron Egerton and Hugh Jackman are absolutely brilliant in this movie. The likeness between the two kids playing Eddie and Taron are amazing as is the likeliness and mannerisms of the real Eddie the Eagle.

To me, this movie just feels like Hollywood has been left at the door in way of making an awesome, authentic movie. Speaking of authenticity, I love that this movie felt like it was actually in the '80s. The fashion, the setting, the music and score and even the fact that everyone was smoking anywhere and everywhere!

The thing I love about true stories or movies based on real people, is when the movie ends with either looking at where the person is now or seeing pictures of their journeys, Eddie the Eagle was no different.

This is just an awesome, feel good movie that I will definitely be watching again and that I'll recommend people watch at least once!
  • stonedraim22 June 2016
    **** May contain strong spoilers ****

This is a review made by StoneDraim... and that means that if you want to read a probably different kind of review, keep reading....

This is my personal experience, my personal point of view/perspective and my personal opinion... and my opinion is just one of like 7 billions in this world.

I remember part of this Olympic Games. I was 9 years old and someone told me there is a man that is insane that just jumps for the fun of it. It was like a man had been brought into the Games to only entertain. Later on.... well....the Eagle had landed.

I get a sense that the story behind this all were magic and wonderful. I also sense that the movie has been given a little to firm touch of the feel good sense, as it first is a struggle in everything, and the last say 40 minutes everything is just going great and easy. This brings down the rate for me.

This motion picture is spot on in giving a good time and a little nostalgic journey back in time. If all events happened in real life as in the movie, then that's fine. Maybe they could have in some production way twisted it up to get even more response from the audience.

Anyway. I recommend Eddie The Eagle. Good solid movie and all the music and Olympic Games soundtracks just make me wanna fly back to the ages were television and the Olympic Games were more focused and followed. As for an Olympic movie, I have to still say that Miracle with Kurt Russell is my favourite.

Oh... I almost forgot.... after the successful jump, Jump settles in an the goosebumps are going wild all over my body.

Over to the movie as a product: - The production : Great work on everything. The Olympic music and the tunes from the 80's gives pleasant flashbacks. - The actors : Overall standard to give it a push. - The story : True story. Period. (And an important one to always reach for your dreams.) - Entertainment : Feel good throughout... and good. Delightful - Age : 7

7,4 out of 10. (The final rate is based most on my own entertainment of the movie. Short elucidation of the rating: 8 Excellent movie and a solid production 7 Well made movie. Proper entertainment.)
  • sahilelastic22 June 2016
    A clichéd but satisfying watch nevertheless. Recommended :)
    Fresh off the leading role as Eggsy in 'Kingsman: The Secret Service' , Taron Egerton takes on the role of Michael ''Eddie'' Edwards , a British Skier who in 1988 became the first competitor to represent Great Britain in Olympic ski jumping and i have to say he absolutely nails it with this one.He makes you root for him right to the end and he is very likable.He puts in a great performance and is supported well by Hugh Jackman who plays his mentor/coach Bronson Peary.His role is pretty clichéd but he still delivers and gets some emotional depth with a good backstory.The chemistry between the two actors are fantastic and they have some great moments together.

The other supporting actors include Jo Hartley and Keith Allen who play Eddie's mom and dad respectively.Taron has some good moments with them but yet again Jo's role as a supportive mother and Keith's role as a discouraging dad has been seen before in plenty of other underdog stories. Nevertheless their performances are good enough to forget the clichés.

As for the rest of the supporting cast.. well there really aren't any other supporting characters worth mentioning except for a cameo from Christopher Walken.

Nevertheless this film provides sufficient amount of entertainment and its really good fun! There are plenty of comedic and humorous moments with Taron Egerton at the center of all of them. The film is also well shot and has some great ski jumping sequences. There are plenty of long shots of the snowy hills and the ramp which the athletes are to jump from and they are absolutely spine tingling! In the end the film may not be perfect and has clichéd moments but it comes under the category of feel good movies and leaves you very much satisfied and maybe even a bit teary eyed (the happy kind) at the end :)
  • iepw1216 June 2016
    An outstanding 'feelgood' film about human spirit
    I remember all the hype surrounding Eddie the Eagles achievement in compeating in the Winter Olympics.I don't really care how accurate aspects of the film are,its a brilliant piece of entertainment about overcoming unbelievable odds to achieve an ambition which took real courage and determination.One thing that the film got right was the fact that 'The Eagle' got an individual mention in the closing ceremony,possibly the only individual athlete ever to be honoured in this way. But that is the whole point about his story. Its about having the courage to see something through without all the sponsership and financial support which clouds all sport today.The story speaks for itself, this film is not a documentary but its a wonderful piece of entertainment .
  • Nidhug Skov29 May 2016
    I forgive you for Les Misérables!

The scene with you and Christopher Walken, was some of the best acting I've seen in a long time. I'm in awe, the same intensity of feelings as in 'Warrior (2011)', just shown in such a classy and subtle way. Left me speechless and with tears in my eyes, beautifully done!

Fantastic movie, about a great persona giving the finger to "the man"!

(small spoiler alert) Only critique I have, would be utopia not to be able to put a finger on something, is why on earth did they have to overdramatize the landing from the 90 m. jump? It was spectacular enough in itself!

Eddie the Eagle, one of my childhood idols!
  • popcorninhell26 February 2016
    Embracing Cliché to Become This Generation's Rudy
    So many movies have injected liberal amounts of post-modernist snark as of late. If done right the snark translates to layers and layers of humor and meta-humor that rewards repeated viewings. Deadpool (2016) certainly comes to mind as the strongest recent example. If done wrong however, it becomes an unbearable echo chamber of self- congratulatory wink-winks and nudge-nudges (Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp (2015) anyone?). Eddie the Eagle is not a snarky movie. It's unabashedly sincere and tenacious in its embrace of the inspiring no matter how corny.

Eddie the Eagle is based on the true story of Eddie Edwards (Egerton) an amateur skier who represented Great Britain during the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary, Canada. Known early on for his tenacity, the movie represents him as a naive young man with a penchant for clumsiness. Failing every attempt to be qualified as a downhill skier, Eddie makes his way to Garmish-Partenkirchen, Germany to learn and master the Olympic sport of ski jumping. While there, he's openly ridiculed by all for his lack of talent, finance and balance. Taking notice of Eddie's near suicidal commitment however, is former Olympic team washout Bronson Peary (Jackman), who takes him under his wing and trains him for success on the slopes.

Your ability to outright love Eddie the Eagle is predicated on your ability to absorb cliché. This film is an inspirational sports movie that knowingly borrows elements from other movies right down to the stuffy official who undermines Eddie's attempts to qualify (McInnerny). Yes there are training montages set to catchy 80's tunes, yes there's the obligatory hard to please parent (Allen) and yes there's the inspirational moment, right before the climax, where our hero gets encouragement from an unexpected source. What makes this movie special is it runs at these clichés head-on; as if they're not story elements directly lifted from Rocky (1976), Ski Patrol (1990) and Hot Dog...The Movie (1984). Much like Eddie himself, the movie doesn't care if it wins records; it's just happy to be on-screen warming your heart and making you laugh. One can't help but admire such enthusiasm.

Of course if you're too cynical for a feel good sports movie you can at least appreciate the stellar cast rounded out by Taron Egerton. The man is destined for stardom providing the same underdog sensitivity he brought to Kingsman's (2014) Eggsy only with a deft sense of comedic timing. Jackman isn't at his best but boy does he seem to be having a lot of fun playing the permanently drunk Peary. He refers his flask as his "jacket," and has a chemistry with Egerton that borders on brotherly. Jo Hartley and Keith Allen are polar opposites as Eddie's parents and provide much of the humor in their back and forths. You can tell they both mean well yet Hartley is constantly undermining Allen's pragmatic approach to Eddie's struggles. She's the dreamer, he's the realist; both wear their characters well.

Eddie carries with him a lunchbox filled with all the medals he's won throughout the years. Most of those medals consist of broken, thick-framed glasses with insanely thick lenses. Those who scoff at the state of sport today and make a stink about how competition is being scuttled by participation trophies are missing the point. Sportsmanship is not about beating the other guy, it's about achieving your personal best. This movie wears that theme firmly on its sleeve and it's truly a joy to see something that doesn't resort to self-reference to get it's point across. While not a masterpiece in the purest sense, Eddie the Eagle firmly places itself as this generation's Rudy (1993).
  • Miles burton30 March 2016
    Eddie The Eagle review
    After watching this film, i had a sense of inspiration. To think that Eddie (Taron Edgerton) would succeed in being a professional ski- diver in the Olympics with his qualities- No Chance! But Taron proved us all wrong in this Drama/Comedy film as he gives us an impression of never giving up, no matter what the consequences.

I thought Taron Edgerton portrayed the role of Eddie perfectly, and thought it was a lot different compare to what sort of gangster character he played in Matthew Vaughn's 'Kingsman' the year before. There was some comedic moments in the film, and some heartbreaking moments, moments to be remembered. All in all, the film had a variety of different emotions, and Hugh Jackman played Taron's trainer perfectly. An alchoholic, a washed up sportsman who still had something to prove. One of the roles for Hugh Jackman to be remembered for. I would recommend this film to watch, i wouldn't say i was in tears in the cinema by how much i was laughing, but it had its funny moments, but mainly this film was for the amount and courage and stamina. This film is definitely one to be remembered in years to come.
  • the_Poppuns13 March 2016
    I really love this movie
    When I was fourteen years old, I watched the Calgary Games and fell in love with the Winter Olympics forever. One of the reasons was all the hope and good feelings that those games brought. Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards had everything to do with that. If you remember those Olympics fondly I can't imagine that you won't love this movie. His is such a cheerful inspiring story. The film captures all of that. Taron Egerton, who looks nothing like the real person, transformed himself into the goofy guy we all came to love. Hugh Jackman is also great playing to type in a supportive father figure-ish role. I also like the way the filmmakers used the music and what I would call bullet time. If done right, the film would have been emotional already but those things really heightened it to make it one of the all-time great movies about believing in yourself. Fans of movies like 'Miracle' or 'Billy Elliot' should love it. I've seen it twice already. I can't recommend it highly enough.