• vas_deferens4 April 2009
    For the love of god, if you respect the original series at all, do NOT pay to see this crap!
    Let me just start off by saying that there are no redeeming qualities to this movie at all. The multi-million dollar budget has amounted to a teen drama mixed with power rangers. The final product is insulting, to say the least.

The creators of this horrible, horrible adaption should take a good long think about what they have done and why they should have just followed the source material instead of taken it for granted. Do they really think that the entire Dragonball fan-base is this stupid? Akira Toriyama probably has a noose around his neck right about now.

To finish this off: The acting is atrocious, the butt-rock scattered through the soundtrack will make you want to punch the guy running the theater in the face, and the story is basically the manga's, but cut up, put into a blender, stuffed into sausage skins, and stitched back together with an American flag tied around it.

If you want your Dragonball fix, just buy dvds of the show instead, skip the movie, and if you don't skip it, then at least don't pay for this thing. I heard that a sequel is already in the works, and we don't need a trilogy, that would be three of these movies too many.
  • Monsoon7717 March 2009
    The perfect movie for anyone who hates Dragonball Z
    Watching DBE i can immediately tell the directors and everyone else involved have not watched more than a few episodes of the entire Dragonball series. The characters are only similar in name and the story feels like they chewed it up and spit it out and whatever stuck to the storyboard they went with. I wont ruin the story but its nothing like the anime, as i said before the characters are only similar to the anime by name. It almost seems like they wanted to make this movie as bad and as far away from the original story as they could. The only time an actor or actress acts like their anime counterpart is when they are first introduced speaking mainly about Master Roshi and Yamcha.

For one of the most action packed animes around they sure did the opposite with the movie. I can count the number of fight scenes with one hand and count how long they lasted with two hands. Its pretty pathetic when the first fight scene with Goku and the "bullies" is the best and he never threw even threw a punch. The big screen debut of the Kamehameha is sad and pathetic and all the Ki blasts look like different color fire balls. They don't look pure energy (like they are in the anime) but just like slow motion fire.

I could go on for hours about what they did wrong. If you have never seen the anime series don't watch the movie. The story is probably too confusing for anyone who doesn't know the entire back-story of the anime. The movie only gives you the who and the what but no why. In fact i think why sums up the entire movie. Why did they do this and why did they do that is all i was thinking during the entire movie. At the end of the movie all i could do was ask "Why did they make this movie and who did they make this movie for?" This is not a movie for the fans or anyone who has never seen the anime. It feels like they made this movie for the people who hate the anime.

As a fan of the series I will award this no points and may god have mercy on their souls.
  • classiccase-120 March 2009
    Even the 7 Dragonballs Can't Save This Movie
    For manga and anime fans around the world, the story of Dragonball has to be at the top, or at least in the top 3 of their most beloved manga/anime stories ever written. There is already an existing live action Dragonball movie called Dragonball: The Magic Begins (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122050/) made in Taiwan back in 1989. That movie tried really hard to stay as close as possible to the original story of Dragonball as written by Akira Toriyama, but it ended up being more of a comedy. The entire story also only went up to the Pilaf storyline, which was way before the first Piccolo appearance. This movie, although aged and not exactly a direct interpretation of the Dragonball story, was still appreciated by most fans due to the comedic entertainment value.

Now, another live action Dragonball movie has come, called Dragonball: Evolution. When the first few pictures of this movie appeared on the internet, a lot of the fans already predicted that the movie would turn out horrible because the characters don't look like themselves. The characters were heavily changed and westernized too much, especially Piccolo, the main villain, who didn't look like the one from the manga and anime. Fast forward to a few weeks before the latest Dragonball movie was released, a trailer was leaked on the internet. That trailer spelled the certain doom of the movie to the fans of the show. Most of the comments described the movie as "Not Dragonball, but another action movie".

This writer was fortunate enough to be invited to a private screening of the movie, and boy was I surprised! I was already expecting the movie to be bad and not a "real" Dragonball, but what I witnessed was something much more horrible! Granted that the movie was really different, but the way the movie progressed, the introduction of characters, the fight scenes, oh wow, you'd think it was a movie created by elementary kids who had no idea what Dragonball was about, except for the "Kamehameha" move and the 7 dragon balls, just with the financial backing of a millionaire.

Everything seemed rushed in the movie and characters would just pop out of nowhere and decide to join together to beat Piccolo. The love angle in the story seemed forced as well, everybody was simply out of character. Goku's a powerful but lame school boy, Chi Chi's a martial art school girl who can't even open her own locker, Master Roshi's some crazy dude living in the city (at least he still wears a Hawaiian shirt and seems a little perverted), Bulma became Lara Croft and Rambo combined in another body with a bizarre voice, Mai (originally one of Pilaf's hilarious henchmen in the manga) became a cold blooded, shape-shifting killer, Yamcha became a weird cross between a desert bandit who can't fight and a hobo with unwashed hair, and Piccolo became a weird vampire whose outfit seems to be inspired by the Matrix. I think only Grandpa Gohan was close enough to the original character, except for the way he exits the movie early on.

The fight scenes were lame. Dragonball was about epic sized battles that could not be contained in one location. Characters would get punched through mountains, cities would be destroyed, the earth would rumble and split up due to the massive forces of the fighters. In this movie, everything seemed so lame. Even the Kamehameha attack was used to light some candles! Talk about total weakening!

The only "good" things about the movie were the special effects, although the energy blasts seemed very weak.

My advise is, if you're going to pay to watch this movie, DON'T DO IT. Listen to what almost everybody has been saying because they're right, the movie is worse than what you currently have in mind!
  • Robin Dhanju24 March 2009
    A beyond Sub-par interpretation of Dragon Ball onto the big screens.
    This is a total butchering of what I had held great hopes of seeing. The movies attempts to follow the dragon ball story line, meanwhile adding a "modern" spin on it (ie. chi chi's castle, and Master Roshi lives in a regular semi whats up with that?). What the viewers want to see is a storyline that follows the cartoon series without any changes, and additions. Overall, the plot is weak, the characters do not look like the cartoons (ie. Yamcha, Master Roshi), the 2D cartoon series had better special effects than the movie (and the series had NO special effects, thats how terrible it was). I created an IMDb account JUST to comment on how they butchered Dragonball for me and I hope that Hollywood is smarter next time as to when they bring such a strong fan based series onto the big screens or they will only infuriate more of the audience.
  • movie-goers16 March 2009
    Dragonball Evolution - What a screw up!
    What is wrong with this picture man? Nothing personal to James as a director. I love his Final Destination series, but I think James is NOT the right person to direct this million plus dollars franchise. Why James is hired to direct this movie in the first place? It is a big mistakes. Like having Ang Lee directing the Hulk. Hiring an Asian to direct an Asian animation epic doesn't mean the movie will turn out great. The director must have a vision of the given materials.

The entire outcome is a disaster and disappointment. It is understandable that the film isn't exactly the same as the original comic, but the characters and the plot just suck as a film on its own. From observing the promotion materials of Dragonball, it seems that Fox doesn't want to do this movie at all. The posters suck and the trailers suck. The studio spends a lot of money on making Marvels and DC comics into movies, look how successful those films had become. The studios should pay more respect and faith in Asian materials.

To me this whole thing isn't making any sense at all because there are established fans across the globe, and Dragonball comic and cartoon itself has last more than TWO decades. This is why I think 20th Century Fox was putting money into this project initially. Everyone is looking forward to see a Hollywood version of Dragonball. Soon as I saw the first teaser, I knew I shouldn't put up in any hope into this movie. Even though I went to see the movie without any expectation, the movie still suck! Despite the led down of the Dragonball fans, it creates negative impulses to those who is new to Dragonball.

Dragonball is a hot cult in Asia and it hits the western market because of the stylistic action and fight sequences. However, the martial arts choreography in this movie is another led down. Not to mention the screenplay, the production design of this film is not consistence at all. Wardrobes, props to makeup, nothing fits together! Not only nothing in this film resembles the original DB, it is a disgrace. No wonder they use the word "Evolution". But when they say evolution, I don't expect the studio turns something respectable like Dragonball into rubbish. I've seen a live action version of Dragonball shot by the Malaysian years ago. Although it is an exact duplicate of the animation. But the movie is far better than Dragonball Evolution.

A lot of us are looking for a remake of this movie.
  • mikely11518 March 2009
    Hollywood is ruining my childhood memories!
    This movie is just plain disappointing to say the least. I don't care if this is an adaptation of Dragonball. The only reason why I gave it a 3 out of 10 rating was for the special effects and production value which were semi-decent. I don't understand what was wrong with the original storyline that needed to be changed and messed with. It's the original storyline that made fans love Dragonball in the first place. "If it ain't broke don't fix it." I think this movie would do a lot better if they stuck with the original story and had better casting. The real fans would flood the theaters to watch it which would bring hype to the movie for new viewers that don't know about Dragonball, kind of like how Watchmen did. Street Fighter was horrible and they expect to do a sequel to it, this movie was a travesty...I guess next up will be Thundercats and Voltron for Hollywood to mess up for me. Thank you Hollywood for ruining my childhood memories.
  • scorpionlgr20 March 2009
    Overall F grade or 0/10, Save your money! wait until you can watch it online for free!
    This Movie plain and simple insults our intelligence, I mean I'm no Geek, but tham they were way off!, this should not even be called dragonball, because of stupid 20th Century Fox, now dragonball is ruined, if someone wanted to make a better movie with the real story that Akira Toriyama made, they made so many changes and mistakes that the dragonball that we know is gone forever, on Watchmen they made some changes but only so the essence of the show could be shown on film, but Dragonball is dead they killed it, I'm sorry Akira Toriyama they ruined your work and about every Anime , and dbz fan out there, like my Grandfather just to say "there's cheese all over that movie" It is illogical to spend the money on copyrights if you're not even going to use the story.

Zac Bertschy of Anime News Network, originally disgusted at Otaku decrying the film via leaked set shots and trailers even before the movie was released, gave the movie an overall F grade, admitting that "The fans were right." Criticizing the films lack of explaining plot elements to its hackmead storyline and lackluster effort by the actors, he suggested that the film "Might be fun when you're hammered and surrounded by friends. Or suicidal, and need something to push you over the edge."
  • DICK STEEL12 March 2009
    A Nutshell Review: Dragonball Evolution
    Hollywood plundering Japanese pop culture isn't something new. From "Americanizing" television series for the kids from Power Rangers to Ultraman, and adapting famed characters from Japanese film, games and manga to frequent disastrous effect, it still wouldn't stop the studios from going after one property after another. This time round it's the long running Dragonball series, because the assumption is that the built-in fan base would translate to instant dollars at the box office. Not.

You have to give the filmmakers a little bit of credit though, being either foolhardy, or just plain ballsy. It's a given that they cannot condense and distill the rich content into a surprisingly less than 90 minute movie, and live in the hopes of producing a sequel, or to generate a franchise (i.e. don't leave the cinema hall when the end credits start to roll). But what they successfully do, is to super-summarize the entire mythos by throwing out everything except the main gist of the entire manga, making it extremely simplistic in poor lazy-man standards in adaptation.

For the uninitiated, the film would serve as a quick launchpad to the original manga. For those with a wee bit of knowledge of what it's about (like myself), the film just treads along the same lines and doesn't offer you new information. For the fanboys, I guess you'll only get some kicks at seeing some of your favorite characters come alive, only that they look more Caucasian, and have a head full of hair when they're not supposed to (someone forgot to insist that in the contract?) That's all you're gonna get. Period.

As far as film-making and story-telling techniques go, you can see cliché after cliché being thrown at you, with the poorly and cheaply rendered special effects offering no consolation. Justin Chatwin's Goku is your typical teenager who possesses innate potential yet to be realized, and in his frustration he gets treated by peers as a loser geek. He lives with his grandpa Gohan (Randall Duk Kim in stereotypical know-it-all like in Kung Pu Panda), and develops a crush on school hottie Chi Chi (Jamie Chung). Goku's calling in life is to prevent an apocalypse from happening with the return of chief cardboard baddie Lord Piccolo (an instant shoo-in as one of the worst cinematic villains, ever!) and his temporary sidekick Mai (Eriko Tamura) who attempt to collect 7 dragonballs to fulfill an ancient myth. And of course Goku needs a Fellowship, in the form of irritating tech-wizard Bulma (Emmy Rossum last seen in the sinker Poseidon), mercenary Yum Cha (Joon Park who probably copied Rain's uninspiring cinematic turn in Speed Racer to a T) and Chow Yun-Fat the biggest name of them all here trying his darnest best to act cute as Master Roshi, who imparts skills in double quick time to Goku.

Speaking of time, or the lack thereof, everything is compressed. From two weeks to two days and the day of the blood moon shielding the yellow sun (OK so I made that up), everything moves at so fast a pace, that all you get are cheesy lines of dialog, and an excuse to paste some action sequences together. And James Wong certainly can't direct action (despite being at the helm of Jet Li's The One, which was of course bland and bad), opting to pay homage to Zack Snyder's slow-mo technique, and midway changing the style to having the camera being too close to the action, in the dark, coupled with quick MTV cuts that you don't get to see a thing.

And the rush job just doesn't stop at the narrative or the action. Special effects wise, they look really cheap, and I wonder whether Producer Stephen Chow would roll his eyes at what would be extremely pale when put side by side with his Kung Fu Hustle done many years ago. Ayumi Hamasaki's contribution of the theme song Rule sounded really bad as well (I may get flak from her fans), and I guess having some Asian participation doesn't legitimize what is essentially a poorly done movie. Not even Chow Yun-Fat's star status could save this, and you wonder what figured when this is the movie that he gave up Red Cliff for.

This is basically a movie that only children below the age of 5 will enjoy tremendously, despite having to see 6 half-balls, contributed courtesy of the 3 lead female characters, being continuously flashed on screen, thanks to some neck plunging wardrobe (where's that malfunction when you need one?) Totally bland and really uninteresting, I would suggest sticking to the manga instead.
  • ma-cortes2 August 2010
    Goki , Master Roshi and Bulma battle Lord Piccolo to gather seven Dragonballs
    The story starts with Goku (Justin Chatwin of War of the worlds), who sets out upon his grandfather Gohan's (Randall Kin) dying request to meet the Master Roshi (Chow Yun Fat of Crouching tiger , hidden dragon) and unite all seven Dragon Balls of which he has one . In order to avoid the villain Lord Piccolo (James Marsters of Buffy Slayer) from succeeding in his objective to use the Dragon Balls to take over the world. And Goku's seeks is to get the mystical Dragonballs before the Lord of evil does . But in the meantime, the super powerful Piccolo along with his hoodlum are preparing to destroy everything that lives , and only the valiant Goku helped by Bulma (Emmy Rossum of Phantom of opera) have the power to stop them . Meanwhile Goku falls in love with his school mate Chi Chi (Jamie Chung) .

Dragon Ball are basically numerous spectacular fight-scenes with a tiny bit of plot movement, full of repetitive dialogue and flashy blasts of light and energy, but that hasn't prevented kids and teenagers from eating them up . It contains cartoon violence and minor sexual innuendo than anime series . Occasionally features stunted and disjointed action, as well as the hilarious but quite conventional characters fitting partially to animated series . The abundant computer generator images , which labor mightily to reproduce the source materials in some impressive scenes and eye-popping look . These adventures can be good for novices and youngsters age 10 should drawn into the story but not for the established fans . James Wong adapts the rich myth of the Dragonball series that grew from a Manga into various popular animated series by means of hundreds episodes that are brought to life with this 20th Century Fox and Stephen Chow ( Kung Fu hustler )production . James Wong is a good writer(21 Jump Street , X-files) , producer (Black Christmas , The others , Milennium) and director (Final destination 1 y 3 , The one , and X files episodes) , but his filmmaking in Dragon Ball is ridiculous and embarrassment . Rating : Below average .
  • filmmanic9913 March 2009
    Student Film
    The entire assembly of the film crew and casting is WRONG (excluding the catering and the grip and electric guys). Asia has the first priority to watch such a bad film done by JAMES WONG. Why is he still getting work from Hollywood anyway? "The One" was badly done and James is just the worse director ever, I tell ya, he is walking on thin ice in the film industry. He has absolutely no vision of this film. Who hired him anyway? This film is so amateur done that it looks like student film. I can't believe 20th Century Fox distribute a student film worldwide. Btw, did they just put Stehpen Chow's name as the producer as a marketing strategy for Asia? The film ended with a hint of a sequel, and if it does, it will most likely end up re-shooting the entire film (remember of The Hulk). King Piccolo lacks of drive for him to destroy the world. Plot is flat, character drives are lame. Dialogs are stereotype. Ben Ramsey did a poor job as a screenwriter, he is lack of experience to write such an epic movie.

Casting: God damn it, wrong cast dude! Carla Hool, please go back home and do some home work first! Who hired the casting department? I recall the same casting director did the Forbidden Kingdom also cast this movie -- Popping AuYeung. She sucks! Did such a bad job casting in Forbbiden Kingdom and in Dragon Ball. I wonder why is she still surviving in the industry at all. Jamie Chung tries too hard to be cute, and she is ugly. Master Mutaito is a black guy? Emmy Rossum was great in The Day After Tomorrow but not in this movie. I can assure you that it's not really her fault, James just doesn't know what he was doing. Eriko Tamura as Mai is just a redundant character, the wardrobe department tries very hard to dress her up sexy while she is not. By the way, her boobs didn't override her bad acting and ugliness. She must have missed Acting 101 class.

Visual Effect: At some point of the movie, when Guko turns into a gorilla the visual effect was so poorly done that it looks some what like "Rubber Chicken". Did they slip in few shots done by stop motion? The face of Gozoru looks like it was done in After Effects, it doesn't look like 3D at all!! First scene of the film, Goku was training with Gohan, the matte painting of the house was so badly done that it looks 2D (cardboard stand) in the background. Blue / Green screen spill was all over, color correction sucks. Visual effect was done much like fresh grad student level. Hollywood have done so much super hero movies in the recent years, and I think the producers just hire the wrong bunch to do such a visual effects intensive film. I believe that Fox knew this film wouldn't go anywhere so they cut budget from hiring the good guys to work on this film!!!

Art Design / Production Design My recommendation is to get Stephen Scott, Simon Lamont and the bunch who did Hellboy to work on DragonBall. The original DragonBall story heavily involves with aliens and action, and I believe that they are the right group of guys to do this film. Their creature designs and makeup fits in this category. Piccolo looks like alien from Mars, one of those "Mars Attack" films from the 60s. Costumn in the entire film doesn't match the theme at all, looks like they shop wardrobe from Wal-Mart. The story will be more interesting if it were to take place more into the future (like in the movie Minority Report). The location of Master Roshi's house is totally mismatch to the surrounding backdrop. The matte painting of the city lights and buildings doesn't fit into the picture at all. It is like cut and paste without considering the style, time and place between Roshi's house and the city backdrop.

Stunts / Action Choreography: Poorly done dude! One of the marketing factor of Dragonball is the fighting style and its creative art of fighting sequence. Whatever James did, it looks worse than Street Fighter done by Steven De Souza back in 1994. Yeah, Van Damme could've star in this Dragonball movie. The "ki" effect is all over the place,the establish shots of the fight covered up by "ki" effect and I couldn't even locate the characters on the screen. They add to much vapor on the "ki" effect.

Conclusion: If you want to have endless conversation with your friends about how bad this film is, then go watch it. I believe that Hollywood is running out of idea and beginning to tackle Asia stories. But studio got to have more faith in selling these stories with huge fans around the world: Dragonball, Akira and whatnot. If you cut back the budget, it will end up with a disaster like what James Wong did with this movie! Consider Matrix, Wachowski Bros did a total ripe off from a Japanese Animation "Ghost in the Shell". Look what they can achieve with the budget they've got. Of course, skills is also a factor and they have better vision than James as well.

Please re-shoot this FILM!!! I can assure you that all the fans worldwide is looking forward to a re-shoot with different Above the Line and casts
  • logenbacsi17 March 2009
    Worst adaptation ever
    This movie was utter crap. It had nearly no connection to the source material at all. The directing was bad, the acting was bad, and the effects.. pf were utterly cheese. 100 million US$ my *****. This movie looks like it was made by no more then 10 mills. Where did the money? Or there wasn't any money from the beginning, and you're just using this movie as a money laundry? Copying Uwe Boll too much? Whoever gave the changes in this movie a green-light was damn stupid. The whole thing's cliché, and relies again on the "Heroes Journey". I'd really wish Joseph Campbell would have never done any research on myths and archetypes, because it's his fault now, that every movie is the same nowadays.

This movie is really BAD. Even if you never knew anything about Dragonball (impossible) don't watch it, it'll still suck. Even the creator of the original manga (A.T.) said after watching this movie, that he's shocked at how bad it is.

Thank you Hollywood, you just bombed my childhood. Now I know how Hiroshima feels.
  • mbarajas0816 April 2009
    i just saw one of my best childhood friends raped over and over again, all in the name of Dragonball Evolution
    I'm sorry, but having seen every episode of dragonball/z/gt, this movie was just that, a raping. Almost every aspect of dragonball was changed and i saw little to no representation of the character's true personalities. I went to the movie hoping, no praying for a halfway decent film, all i saw were some decent effects. The only thing that resembles dragonball were the dragonballs and the names of the characters. Every copy of this movie should be destroyed and i will try my best to erase its disturbing images from my mind.

Once again, thank you to all who had a part in raping one of my childhood friends
  • Simon Ho14 March 2009
    Stuck that Ki and that Kame Hame Ha up your butt Goku
    i saw this with my friend on premiere day in Malaysia. I was a fan of the comics when i was still a kid. when i saw the first few clips and trailers on youtube i knew this movie would suck. Who in the right mind would cast Chow Yun Fatt as Roshi and a Caucasian as Goku???? But in the end i gave it a chance and i told myself, "Hey, let's have some campy fun and not try to think too much." As soon as the movie starts, and the first line uttered by Gohan, i wanted to leave the cinema hall. In fact after 15 minutes, i wanted the movie to end!!! 90 minutes was just too long. I felt as though it was 3 hours.

i'm not trying to be a hater but the problem is that this movie is just too f*cked up. It looked like an amateur movie made by a new director. The dialogues were stupid the acting was horrendous and the plot was terrible. There was no character development at all and they try to make the fight scenes look cool with the slow motion but it's god damn lame. and the jokes fall flat. worse part was the way they try to work out a love story between Bulma and Yamcha within 15 minutes of knowing each other.

The Kame Hame Ha scene turned into a cheesy high school love story. I was twitching the moment i heard the lines being uttered by Goku to Chi Chi while he was training his Kame Hame Ha. In fact, i twitched every time a line is being uttered by the actors and actresses.

The Climax was downright disappointing with the gigantic monkey you see in the comics look like a guy wearing a rubber gorilla suit. The special effects throughout the movie looked like as though it was from a cheap telemovie. and the Dragon at the end was so laughable that it looked like the Dragon from a rice advertisement in Malaysia.

My final say, don't watch this film ever! Not even on rental. not worth your time. If i was to give a rating i would give it a negative but IMDb doesn't allow me to do that.
  • Dewgle24 March 2009
    Don't you just hate Hollywood?
    From looking at some of the reviews on here, I will keep mine simple as people seem obsessed one way or another. I am reviewing this film on the credits.

1. Relation to the original series. 2. Quality of script 3. quality of actors/actresses/acting 4. quality of effects 5. Final product.

This film bears two relations to the original. The characters and the Dragonballs. There is nothing else to link the two. This is so sad when you consider how much they had to work with and all they could produce was this. The characters also bear little resemblance to their anime predecessors. None of them do what they are supposed to do, except Chi Chi, who didn't do much anyway. Where's Roshi's turtle shell. Why does Bulma carry several fully automatic weapons? And why is Yamcha now a ladies man? To their credit though, Roshi's behaviour soon after he appears is very accurate even if it is short lived.

The script for this film is its downfall. It's just awful. The writers have tried to fit too much into a short period of time. This film needed to be 2.5 to 3 hours long to even come close to allowing all the characters to be fleshed out. Attention should have been paid to Transformers when they were making this film. If you want to make a film based on a TV series, as those who watched it, not a bunch of suits that are paid to watch it and come up with a story. Many people who enjoyed the show could have given suggestions throughout the whole movie making experience.

AS bad as the film was, it doesn't take anything away from the actors themselves. They did the best they could with the tools they had. If you ask a builder to build you a house out of sticks, don't complain when it falls over.

This film had all the effects of an 80's movie. Think of A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors and the scene where the Freddie battles the kid in the wheelchair. That's the level of effects in this film. And I will leave the dragon, Shenron, so you come to your own conclusions. I don't want to seem prejudiced.

This film lands not just way off the mark for a spin off movie, it's in another continent. They should never have made it if it was going to be so lack lustred. It could have been done with a comedy element, which would have saved it, but no. They even try to throw in romance, but you have only seen the characters for an hour so who cares. Why so many inconsistencies from the original anime series? For example, Roshi does not live on an island. All these little details could have been included with another hour of film time. No one wants to watch an 88 minute film nowadays. Its just not value for money. Some may think that 1 out of 10 is harsh, but when they made such a hash of what could have been another Transformers, its all it deserves.
  • baseballrunner7626 March 2009
    This is cinematic filth of the highest degree.
    My childhood is ruined. I have witnessed the death of a beloved franchise millions have come to adore and respect. This movie is not an adaptation, nor is it an homage of any sort. It is a mockery. A sheer insult to all those whom cherish Dragonball deep within their hearts and souls.

Why does this video-tape recording (I absolutely refuse to deem it 'film' status) fail to such a devastating degree? It does not capture any of the charm, wit, excitement, humor, or bad-assery to be found in its source material. James Wong has simply taken the title, characters, and... errm, hairstyles, and has furtively stapled them to the bloody forehead of a poorly scripted, heavily underdeveloped movie about collecting seven golden balls that when gathered, will summon a flying dragon who will grant you one magical wish! How fantastically whimsical!

Who cares.

There is nothing compelling about this film. It's painstakingly difficult to care about any character in this film, and that goes for Goku as well. Right from the get-go, you bare witness to a horribly underwhelming fight session between Goku and his Asian(?) grandfather Gohan, who carries a bizarrely flawless American accent.. go figure. The reason I imply confusion behind Gohan's Asian ethnicity is that his grandson Goku is, well... nevermind. It isn't even worth getting into; the casting for this movie made no sense. No consistency whatsoever. Disgusting.

The dialogue is cheesy and executed improperly in every way conceivable. You want cheesy dialogue done right? Go watch the Wachowski brothers' Speed Racer released last year, truly a masterpiece as far as anime adaptations are concerned. What is improper about it, you inquire? It causes you to cringe without the ability to hold back. Every single word muttered is a bleak reflection on each actor's terrific inability to act in any way, shape or form.

Speaking of form.. Don't even expect half a thrill from this movie's excuse for action sequences. These actors cannot fight under any set of circumstances. The wirework is so blatant and poorly imposed that I swear to have caught eye of a couple unedited out wires left in some of the more acrobatic scenes.

Really? Come on, Hollywood. Come on, Fox.

These sort of mistakes became a thing of the past DECADES prior. If a movie based on the almighty Dragonball franchise is going to suck this severely OUTSIDE of the fight sequences, at LEAST refine those few scenes (Dragonball's saving graces, so to speak) into something worthy of admission price. Get a couple professional choreographers on the set to help out, if you don't mind. (what a strange and unusual concept, huh!?)

I've said it before and I'll say it again; if this entire project had been up to the legendary Stephen Chow, we could have had a sheer masterpiece on our hands. (refer to Kung Fu Hustle, what I believe to be the most faithfully Dragonballesque live action movie ever made)

I shall continue no further. This movie does not deserve any longer of a review. In fact, slice this eloquently written verdict in half and it would still be far too flattering in length.

I feel that if FOX wishes to maintain any credibility they have left with their audiences, they will hold back on dumping this atrocious landfill upon the United States' precious array of cinemas. Of course, we know this is not realistic.

It's nice to dream.
  • xploratio19 March 2009
    This movie had potential . The Director never had any.
    I saw the movie with not too much expectations.. I am one of the skeptics but for a moment there i kept a certain positivism toward the movie.

The movie Is an embarrassment to the manga , the anime , the fans and above all to Akira Toriyama. When I think that the budget for that movie was of 100 Million ..i'm confused of the result.

Special effects are OK they're not AMAZING they're just OK .. Acting seems out of place at so many parts ..

Parts that are supposed to be taken out are not. you can not deny how bad the script was .. I mean Potentially Changing the original story that much i was OK with it because DB-Franchise is very airy so you can revamp characters and situations. However The way the story was presented SUCKED BIG TIME ..Its Amazing Cheeziness for 2009 .. But then again thats James Wong for you .

I'm not really against the actors and their fitting ..they could've fit if there was a better directing .

WE DO NOT WANT PART II TO BE RUINED BY WONG !! MICHAEL BAY/BRYAN SINGER ALL THE WAY!!!!!!
  • bcleverguy23 March 2009
    Garbage!!!
    This movie is worst than I expected. They changed all the mythology of Dragonball series: 1) the kame-ha-me isn't done like in the series 2) the special effects suck, especially Shenlong 3) to summon Shenlong you must go to a special place, put the dragon balls in some kind of a rock with holes and summon it during the high point of the eclipse (but then Goku summons it after the eclipse!) 4) the sense of time is all wrong: in the beginning we are 2 weeks away from the eclipse but, in the next scene, we're just 4 days away 5) Oozaru appears, not because it's full moon, but because of the eclipse; it is 7 ft tall, it stays with Goku clothes on, and it have no tail!!! And another thing: Goku reversed the transformation like it was the simple thing to do.

The only thing I saw that looks like the original series is Master Roshi personality and the way Goku kills Piccolo.

This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen in may entire life. 1/10
  • gbowles7622 March 2009
    God save their souls
    I almost vomited when I saw the preview for this movie. It's like taking a child, raping it and then throwing out of a moving car at 80 mph and leaving it for dead. Did anyone in the making of this movie even watch one episode of DB, DBZ, or DBGT? Special places in hell are reserved for asses like this. For one, the whole base of the story is completely off, not that it makes a huge difference because the acting alone is enough to make even the smallest of fans to the Dragonball universe cry and hang their heads in shame. This is nothing but a baseless rip off of one of the most celebrated anime classics and unfortunately more and more movies are heading in this direction. Can we please get a director with a set of balls to direct a movie based on the actual characters and plots of the story they are trying to show?
  • 1/10
    So bad it's... well... bad, really
    As you may or may not already know, Dragonball Evolution is officially leaked online. Directed by James Wong, the film was released a month early in Asia, and even watching the leaked version is even a waste of time. I watched the leaked version and even then I wanted my money back.

So pretty much we see Goku on his 18th birthday, and he gets the dragonball. At school, he fantasizes about Chi Chi eating strawberries in science class (WTF???), opens every locker with his powers, and a whole bunch of other crap. At Chi Chi's party, he fights with these random guys and gets in, when Piccolo, who looks like a potato, destroys Goku's house and kills his Grandfather, and this leads Goku on some quest to get all 7 dragonballs.

This movie is a pure suck-fest from beginning to end. Watch as Goku fantasizes about Chi Chi eating strawberries! Gawk at the lame performances from such lame stars as Justin Chatwin (who is ESPECIALLY bad), Chow-Yun Fat, and others! Laugh out loud at the bad dialog! Cringe at the cringe-inducing special effects! Watch as the writers get characters wrong! Or don't. Just spare yourself really.

Apparently the official American version has 22 extra minutes of footage. But at this point I don't care, because this movie is already enough torture. What are the going to add? A Bulma/Goku sex scene? A scene where Goku masturbates with that Chi Chi fantasy in his head? A scene where Piccolo turns into a woman and gives birth to a ninja turtle??? A whole subplot involving Piccolo and a sex change operation? With that said, please don't watch this movie. If you have to so desperately watch it, just watch the bootleg version.
  • dbzlamprotest15 March 2009
    Protest!
    Hello VEGETA_DTX here.

In this comment I am just gonna do what I always do...I am gonna explain why this atrocity insults and rapes us DB fans while relying on the simple healthy physical logic(like I like to call it)

First and foremost: On one side we have Dragon Ball, a MIRACULOUS MASTERPIECE made by ultimately respected Akira Toriyama Sama. And whoever read it or perhaps watched the animated version or both, perfectly well knows that Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z(and even GT, which I personally don't consider as a DB franchise) are all preaching the SAME messages from the day DB Manga came out till the end of the GT. Those things are: -Purity -Innocence -Justice -Moral -Pride -Fighting for the good causes -Power of friendship -NEVER giving up -Doing the impossible -Beating the unbeatable -Forgiving -Anti exploitation/torturing of the innocent(remember the Red Ribbon army) -Parodying wrong things such as trends, molds, elitism, snobbishness, fame, money and materialism...(best example - events with Mr. Satan) -All the positive and good things!

These messages were always floating around the course of this beautiful franchise...

We FANS of it, all these years enjoyed it so much, we meet so many new people and found so many friends thanks to this miraculous franchise. We love Dragon Ball world for its indescribably unique, perfect, crazy-hairstyled, edgy, spiky, and like I mostly like to call it "aerodynamic" artstyle! :) are in the same time admiring it for all those messages that it preaches...for all the hope and inspiration it brought to us even in the most depressed moments of our lives, for all the scenes, starting from the funny and goofy ones to the serious, ultra powerful fight scenes...Dragon Ball was, at least for me, the ultimate stream of hope and inspiration whole my life...

NOW ON THE OTHER SIDE we have something that is almost LITERALLY the ABSOLUTE OPPOSITE of what I described right now...its called "Dragon Ball Evolution". It still dares to bear that title and use those names while ultimately contradicting to DB and therefore ITS AN ULTIMATE INSULT FOR MANY OF US AND ITS DESTROYING AND RAPING OUR BELOVED DRAGON BALL! How is it so much destroying it? and how is it the absolute opposite of it? you might ask...(though I really think its ultra obvious), well here is how:

-That brilliant artstyle of Toryiama Akira automatically falls into water by the Live Action idea alone(sorry to those who actually like the idea itself, but I personally dislike it).

-Story, messages and the overall point of DB, not that its totally missed but its like I said - ALMOST LITERALLY OPPOSITE OF THE DB WE ALL KNOW AND LOVE! And here are only several examples from the trailers, synopsis and leaked videos that I've seen/read so far:

-"Goku" does not remind by any possible aspect visual/audio/personality-wise of Goku we all know and love...not by any possible law of physics nor any other law or logic. -"Goku": "I am not ready for this"!?!?!?!?! -"Goku" goes to high school!?!?!? -"Goku" is stealing the girlfriend of some high school Carry Fuller guy... and vice versa...!?!??!?! -"Goku" is wearing the trendy clothes instead of his martial arts GI's

The first note stands for ALL THE CHARACTERS IN THIS MOVIE! AS WELL AS THIS WHOLE MOVIE DOES NOT EVEN REMIND OF THE ORIGINAL DRAGON BALL! if you exclude the title names and Dragon Balls.

Now if you have a healthy logic you will understand why we feel that much insulted by this atrocity.

Therefore IN MY OPINION if you fallow the simple logic its obvious and clear as a day that ANYONE who supports this AWFUL, DISGRACEFUL AND BLASPHEMOUS PIECE OF EXPLOITATION AND CHILDHOOD RAPE is automatically NOT a DB fan AT ALL to me. You can try to prove your fandom with your action figures wallpapers and all the materialistic stuff, but I don't care! that is NOT the measurement of fandom to me, but WHAT IT IS a perfect filter of fandom to me, is a state towards something that RAPES the DB(THIS MOVIE), and IF YOU FAIL AT IT, nothing else matters to me! that's all I need, thats a perfect proof that you never was a DB fan in the first place, or you WAS but somehow this materialistic world of today spoiled you and eat your brain(which AGAIN contradicts to what DB preaches!).

Therefore we even formed the protest site and petition and are currently focused on stopping the sequels and ANY FURTHER FRANCHISE based on this AWFUL ABOMINATION!

Thank you very much for reading! and I hope that in the end all the pure and brave efforts will not go in vain and will pay off somehow and someday, just as every evil deed will have its price! ;) (that's what DB learned us through all these years anyways! ha-ha! :D)

Kami bless ya! :P
  • Ali Catterall7 April 2009
    A load of old Dragonballs
    It must be a real drag being a Jungian archetype. Aside from the inconvenience of possessing a thousand faces, imagine minding your own business, practicing judo with some wise and wily sage, when you're suddenly handed a magic sword or glowing swishy stick or cosmic catapult and tipped headlong into some damn-fool quest to go and rescue a princess and kill your dad - no, hang on, wrong shrink - or confront some Dark Lord (who may actually turn out to be your dad, bummer), while also confronting the darkness within your own soul (look harder, not using the recycling bin doesn't count).

And the real bore of it all is, the thing that makes you want to stick your arms in a mincer, is that you know exactly what's going to happen next, which charming rogue you're going to meet on the road, which cuckolding temptress you're going to wind up married to for the next 100 years, and precisely which one of your battle-hungry, blood-crazed stepsons is going to do you in with a pillow when you're no longer fit to preside over a model railway set.

The story is old, but it goes on. And it's always a pleasure when it's well told. But when plots and characters are as insultingly stock as they are in Dragonball Evolution, you start fervently praying for a bit of Jodorowsky-style subversion, possibly involving the heroine, the Dark Lord, a sackful of syringes and a malnourished donkey called Carlos. This resembles a fever dream you might have had after slipping into an E-number-aggravated blood sugar crash while watching The Star Wars Trilogy. Dragonball Evolution is so derivative, such a bare-faced rip-off of George Lucas' pension, that it actually seems completely pointless to pick holes in it. You might as well just attack the originals for their myriad faults and get two birds with one stone.

"In an ancient time, Earth was nearly destroyed…" begins the ponderous voice-over."Not by man, but by Gods from the sky..." Most dramas smuggle their exposition in via the dialogue. This one just ram raids it out of the store. For what it's worth, the story involves a young hero called Goku, played by the Westerner Justin Chatwin (slightly creepily playing an 18 year-old at age 26) who embarks on a quest for the titular world-saving Dragon Balls after his martial artist grandpa Gohan is killed off by the evil Lord Piccolo (Marsters, resembling an over-sized Jawa with food poisoning). Will Goku manage to harness the powerful force called Ki and confront his own werewolf side? Find Master Roshi - who trained grandpa in turn? Defeat Piccolo - probably the only villain named after a small flute? And win the love of ass-kicking classmate Chi Chi? Seriously?

There's probably a point to be made about the eternal exchange of cultural currency; Japan wresting back characters and plot lines from Lucas, then flogging them to the West again; Eastern aesthetics filtered through American sensibilities. But frankly, that's just the way the world works. The good news is this is only 84 minutes long. And if they knocked another 80 minutes off, it would be just about perfect.
  • Penthus25 March 2009
    Disrespectful
    This must be the most disrespectful film ever made, this movie shows what Hollywood is all about these days... money..money.. and more money. To take Akira Toriyamas epic story about Goku and his friends and turn it in to low budge wanna be Asian action movie is just unbelievable.. I would be very surprised if the director even had read the manga himself...

Dragonball is the one manga who made it's way to the western countries and open the way for other big mangas as Naruto, Bleach, Death note and many more. The Dragonball manga is not only before its time in many ways but also very amusing and always has a got plot and amazingly good designed characters.

I really hope no one buys this movie, just to show Hollywood that we don't want your greed hands on epic tales like dragonball... Whats next then, well hey lets take the no 1. manga at the time, Naruto and put some bad acting actors in the movie and lets put an ending to the manga thats not even finished... thats sound great man, much much money there to get.

All i have to say is SHAME on you Hollywood... Try to get back the glory you ones had and don't do it by trampling on millions dedicated fans.. This could have been your most bestselling movie this year if you just had put your soul into it.

this movie made me sad, angry and numb... but did shred a light on what movie making is all about these days.... pathetic..
  • genstarzz28 March 2009
    Speed Racer (2008) ain't looking too bad right about now....
    This movie is an abomination and a disgrace to the great anime and manga. The acting is crap and the whole thing is really cheesy, but the worst thing above all are the creative differences made. I am a big fan of the original dragon ball and dragon ball z anime and it is pretty clear what the main flaws are. First, the completely left out Krillin, a central character of the manga and anime. Second, none of the characters look ANYTHING like the did in the source material. They also changed MAJOR parts of the storyline, etc. It's just BAD.

I'm pleased to know that the advertising of the movie is pretty damn bad. The less non-dragon ball fans who know about it, the better. I don't want this film to taint dragon ball's reputation.
  • crashdemon26 March 2009
    It's just plain sad
    I don't understand how people can consider this movie to be part of the dragonball franchise. Taking MAJOR characters out IS NOT a MINOR adaptation, it is just plain stupid. This movie is just fox trying to make a quick buck and they don't care what they rip off. I'm a HUGE fan of Toriyama and when i heard that he isn't even involved in the writing of the movie i STARTED to have doubts. When i saw the first trailer and i heard gokus character say "I don't think i can do this" I pretty much lost all faith in the movie. It's an insult to toriyama it's an insult to the franchise and it's an insult to the fans of the dragonball series. Goku is a highschool student while in the series he'd never even met a girl before. In the series he didn't even know the meaning of the words "give up". Minor adaptations i can handle but this is just plain sad...
  • sweetlittlepie10 April 2009
    10 Reasons Why you shouldn't watch this movie...
    This movie is not bad, it's awful. The acting is mediocre at best. The direction is bad, the special effects are not very good. You would think that a movie with a big budget would have at least have good special effects, but alas this is not the case. The thing that really bothers me is that this movie had some potential, but unfortunately the bad casting, the overall plot, the dialogue and the acting just weren't there. Here's ten reasons why you shouldn't watch this movie: 1. Bad casting - I don't know who thought it was a good idea casting Justin Chatwin as Goku or Emmy Rossum as Bulma. I think Emmy is a great actress but she is definitely not the right choice to play Bulma.

2. Dubious setting - Where does this story take place. It's like some urban/desert place. The setting is way off, and they never do tell you where the story is taking place.

3. Bad acting - I have nothing against Justin Chatwin, but it wasn't even like he was trying to act. The only one that I think did a tolerable job was James Masters, and even he wasn't performing to the best of his abilities.

4. BAD special effects - Okay the special effects in this flick where laughable and completely not believable. I dare anyone to keep a straight face when Goku transforms into Oozaru. There were people giggling behind me, giggling...Need I say more.

5. It's PG - Now there is nothing wrong with PG movies, but when the original material is violent, outrageous and bloody there's definitely something wrong. They took everything that was cool about Dragonball and erased it. They tried to make the movie so family friendly that it lost everything that made it Dragonball.

6. Bad adaptation - They got the casting wrong, the characters are all wrong, the actors don't act like their counterparts. The costumes are wrong. Where's Bulma's blue hair? Where's Yamcha's scar? Nowhere near this movie that's where.

7. The direction is all wrong - Did anyone really think that James Wong was ready to undertake a project this big? Now I'm not dissing James Wong as a director, I'm just saying that clearly he wasn't ready to direct and helm a big budget blockbuster.

8. God-awful script - A script determines whether a movie is gonna be gold or whether is gonna be trash. The dialogue is gag worthy, it's cheesy, stereotypical, and downright lame. Some of the films important plot elements aren't fully explained, and the storyline is all over the place.

9. Score - The score is actually tolerable, but it just doesn't fit the storyline, or the mood of the characters.

10. Too short - I found the film's length to be too short. Why because there's too much information being cramped in. It's only 84 minutes long, which is not good for a film with so much complex story plot points. The film's length might be why it falls short.

I can only conclude that this film is not worth spending ten dollars. If you're still curious go ahead watch it, but know that not only are you wasting money, but valuable time as well.