User Reviews (28)

• 'Three and Out', a film largely based around a character wanting to kill himself, is in all its irony, genuinely heartfelt, compelling and utterly hilarious as both a dark comedy and a solid character drama. There is no denying that this is not going to be for everyone, as the entire experience could be just as depressing to some as it could be amusing to others, but that's what makes it so interesting and refreshing. Furthermore, despite the film's grim premise I was pleasantly surprised that much of it is done in a tactful and tasteful manner, taking time to develop plot and character substantially enough to transform the otherwise quirky gimmick into a solid piece of character drama that never lets down. Sure enough this is by no means a perfect picture yet it certainly deserves a lot more praise than it has so far garnered; especially considering the ballsy themes and jet black tone which it adopts straight from the opening scenes.

What makes the film as effective as it is lies heavily on its script which takes time to develop fully realised, empathetic and highly likable characters, complete with three dimensions and who are consistently engaging. There are nevertheless moments when the writing does resort to certain stereotypes, but such instances are only ever used with good intentions and subtle shades, never truly distracting from the experience. The writers use their characters to successfully justify and back up the drama spliced throughout the piece, which when attempted with less well rounded characters would feel tacked on and cheap. 'Three and Out' more often than not gets it spot on however, with only a couple moments here and there which take things a little too far into overdone melodrama.

The best thing about having such characters though is that they too can pull off comedy when called upon, delivering many instances of tastefully done dark wit, derived mostly from the characters themselves. It's a hard thing to do no doubt, and although the balance of comedy and drama can shift rather drastically, for the most part they are blended together with great care, resulting in mostly flowing transitions between the two. As mentioned, the comedy itself is extremely dark, specifically when involving the subject of suicide. Yet thanks to the very careful, precise direction from newcomer Jonathan Gershfield, such usages are both emotively effective in the ways which you would expect from the themes, but they also manage to retain a sense of light-heartedness which can be rather disorientating from an everyday perspective, yet this is largely where dark humour draws its absurdities from, and it works brilliantly here.

The story is a bit of a double edged sword in that while certain elements are extremely interesting and move along with easily sustainable momentum, there are drops every now and again which don't work quite as well and drag the pace of the film to a much more disengaging level. Although things never quite get too slow, for too long, these small imperfections become rather irritating in context of the otherwise high-quality writing. Nevertheless the majority of the plot is wonderfully low-key, occupying just a weekend but taking you on a journey full of hilarious situations, compelling characters and homely locations (at least if you reside in the UK). It's a journey that becomes far more than its simple plot however and seems endless thanks to the people who occupy it. Perhaps most enjoyable of all though is that it always feels familiar and genuine, with very little fabrication or contrivance to be found.

Performances from the cast are terrific and are certainly one of, if not the greatest highlight of the feature with both Crook and Meaney conveying the tone of the film created through their characters perfectly, never coming off as over or underdone. I was a big fan of Crook's work in The Office, and was pleasantly surprised to find him playing a role similar but also distinctly different. He's incredibly emotive when he needs to be and brings a real down-to-earth- flavour to his character that really helps solidify the mature, intelligent focus of the feature, filling the lead role competently. Meaney who I have grown far more used to seeing in a Starfleet uniform and being neglected to repeating such lines as 'Yes, of course captain' is much better used here, given plenty of room to show his superb acting capabilities. He nails the big-hearted but flawed Tommy Cassidy brilliantly, bringing charm and charisma to the duo. Both share brilliant interactions and the chemistry is high enough to meet the demands for both the comedy and drama. The supporting cast hold their own but never have much screen time enough to really show much worth mentioning, although Staunton does share some rather touching scenes with Meaney that really brings out the best of her abilities, along with Meaney's softer side.

In the end I found 'Three and Out' to be a highly moving, compelling and original piece of comedic drama. There are low points here and there but thankfully they never distract or take too much away from the entire experience which is for the most part, well developed and realistically entertaining. With terrific performances, down to earth characterisation that constantly feels familiar, and an entertaining, refreshingly dark plot, the film is certainly not without its highlights. If ever there was a misunderstood film of this year, this would probably share the top spot with 'The Good Night'. Regardless, 'Three and Out' is well worth your attention if you like your comedy black and your drama relevant; a solid piece of British film-making.
  • Everything about the film was pretty great parts of it were hilarious, the acting was good and at times brilliant, Colm Meaney in particular; even Kerry Katona who had a small cameo role in it didn't come across too badly! It dealt with the sensitive issues central to the film very well, Im not sure why the train drivers made such a fuss about it; it really doesn't dwell on any of the issues complained about at all. Much to my surprise, the comedy was backed up by some really moving moments. Didn't expect to love this film but the mix of comedy and drama made it a really enjoyable hour and a half - definitely would suggest that you go and see it.
  • First of all it is not a comedy as the adverts would have you think. There are some elements of comedy but first and foremost this is most definitely a drama and not one about tube drivers. It is a drama about the right to aid suicide and there are some really touching moments in this film, especially just before the ending. I wouldn't say the acting was wonderful but despite it's cloudy script the actors give a solid performance and despite being a bit of a dick, i really did feel for Colm Meaneys character. I went into the this movie expecting to laugh, I didn't much, it depressed me, but whether that was the movies intentions is beyond me. My advice rent it on DVD with an open mind you will find some clear gold amongst the ambiguity.YNWA.
  • Maybe it really was a marketing muck-up to put this film forward as a wacky comedy, but having expected that I was actually happier with the moving, provocative and poetic story I got instead. It's a lot more memorable and thus valuable. Colm Meaney and Imelda Staunton, just by looking at each other, convey more about the pains and regrets that life generates than many a more 'serious' or arty film manages despite loftier, often more pretentious ambitions. This is a film that actually acknowledges the human condition and then poses a rather crucial, if usually ignored question about life, and even braves an answer to that question too. How often does this happen? Probably more often in Britain than in Hollywood, so let's be grateful for this, shall we?

In any case, claiming that it's a crass 'comedy about suicide' as some have done is about as accurate as saying The Producers is a comedy about the holocaust. And Tube Driver Union spokespeople: get a life.
  • tonym805115 May 2008
    Well, This so called "British Comedy" did actually turn out to be just it. Very unpredictable ending, which I love and amusing!! It has been a while since we had a Brit/com out moreover a real plot that make sense and in context. I know that some expect too much from genre movies like this however considering the petite area its based in and does pay attention to main outputs of scenes. Mackenzie - Office - well suited for the role. Gemma - new bond girl - very hot lady in the accent she puts on for this film

Soundtrack although not very known around I found it actually quite catchy!! - going to purchase myself the soundtrack Cd this week-end.

Great Brit Film! Worth watching - but not for the faint hearted.
  • to say that this film is great is an understatement it is brilliant. never have i seen such a mix of comedy/ drama/ romance that goes together so fantastically.

the cast are excellent with Colm Meaney giving an award winning performance , newcomer Gemma Arterton is fresh & very capable. if there was a vehicle for Mackenzie Crook then this should be it. the audience is able to feel Paul's anxiety and his need for pastures new.

it is extremely difficult to think of a film that has ever done such a good job at tackling what is a controversial subject. it's main plus is that the train driving is only ever a small part of the film and the majority of the running time is showing the journey Paul & Tommy go on and in the process we learn why Tommy is who he has become.
  • Way back even before this film even premiered at the cinema, the main London Underground tube drivers Union ASLEF were up in arms about this film being insensitive and that people falling under trains and suicide is not something to be laughed about. I don't know what they thought this film was about, or whether they had seen a completely different film to me, but I would struggle to class this as a comedy at all. It's a serious drama about a serious subject, and although, yes, there might be one or two chuckles here and there, this isn't an all-out comedy and never pretends to be. It's a serious look at Colm Meaney's character Tommy, his relationship with his wife and daughter and how it came to be that he is willing to throw himself in front of Mackenzie Crooks train. There is actually very little of the movie set underground at all - it soon takes on a road movie type trip through Liverpool (with a (thankfully brief) cameo by Atomic Kitten's Kerry Katona) and then onto Cumbria and the Lake District, no doubt to try and encourage movie-goers to holiday in the area.

Colm Meaney is better than he ever was in Star Trek, Imelda Staunton is there because after all this is a Brit flick and it says in her contract somewhere that she must star in every new British film going, while relative newcomer Gemma Arterton (last seen in St Trinians)puts on a Scouse accent for this role and does her rising career no harm at all - the new 007 film is up next, and the girl has a promising future in front of her. Mackenzie Crook I'm not so sure about. I was never a fan of "The Office" in the first place, but he seems to do well enough here - he and Meaney make a good team, it's just a shame that nearly all the original publicity back in April 2008 was negative, focusing mainly on the objections of the ASLEF union to a film that they had obviously not seen. Agreed, deaths under the wheels of trains aren't funny - I've researched my family tree and one distant relative did die this way and the inquest report makes for grim reading - I've no doubt that this is a very traumatic experience for any driver unlucky enough to hit and kill someone and no laughing matter - but then this film is no laughing matter either. It deals with a sensitive subject matter very well. I don't really see what all the fuss was about. I'd have thought the average IMDb score would be a lot better than it is currently. Ignore all the newspaper stories and judge for yourself. If any film deserves a second chance it is this one - surely a contender for the best British film of 2008.
  • jhsteel13 November 2008
    I saw this not knowing what to expect, and I'm glad that I didn't expect loads of laughs. I suppose it is a dark comedy if anything, but it delivered something much more meaningful, and I was hooked in immediately to the human drama that enfolded. I really wanted to know what happened to the characters, all of whom seemed 3-dimensional, and I cared about their fates. The performances were excellent, especially Colm Meaney as Tommy and Mackenzie Crook as Paul, but Imelda Staunton was wonderful as always. I wanted to see whether the characters would go through with their intentions, because several outcomes seemed possible, and the plot kept me guessing. The ending was emotional and in a strange way very satisfying, and not unrealistically optimistic either. If you are going to deal with the subject of suicide, this is a very effective and thought-provoking film and succeeds on several levels. It deserves a higher rating than it has so far.
  • What a great British movie, I'm so surprised and disappointed that 2 people's low score have given this an average of a poultry 5.3!! This film is a 7 average (or more) if ever I saw one. I don't often comment on IMDb but this left me feeling like I had too. The film is enjoyable, insightful, full off feeling and comedy and would be enjoyed by anyone from the UK. I'm pleased to see Mackenzie Crook choosing to star in such well produced independent movies and would recommend this to anyone. Please give this a chance and comment back to raise this poor average score to something more in line with what the film deserves. An excellent film with a great cast and original storyline, well done!
  • After so many years of waiting for a worthy British comedy since Bridget Jones' Diary, this fine piece of work came as a breath of fresh air. After watching it half way i thought they could have done better but at the end of the movie everything made sense. Well its a British movie and it is very British, it outlines dilemmas that are faced by day to day men as we all try to work smart and not hard(with less in return). It seems there has been a lot of controversy as most(tube trade union) believe that the movie is insensitive towards tube workers. One wonders, but when did the British lose their sense of humour? this a comedy! I just believe it was an opportunity for some to get onto our screens. Everyone who has been to London knows that the tube is never reliable, but thats another subject. When titanic hit the screens no one went to protest but I am sure far more people have perished in the seas. The first good movie in a decade comes out and all these sharks are coming at it in full swing, please lets give this movie some credit it deserves.
    Three and Out (2008)

As the overpaid and Naïve London Underground employee's picket this film before they've seen it – complaining that it insults their occupation – I felt it would be fitting to go see this film to see what the fuss was all about. Paul Callow (Mackenzie Crook) has a bad couple of weeks as a London Underground Tube Driver – (Spoiler – but not really giving anything away here) – Paul hits and kills two Passengers while driving his Underground Train. Paul then hears from his matey colleagues that there is a Three and Out Rule in place – if he kills three people with his train within a month he will be retired and paid 10 years salary – so judging by what the average tube driver earns this probably equates to over £500,000+ ($1m+). Hence, Paul sets about to find a third victim – of course this is where the film really begins and the journey for Paul moves from off the track to the streets of Liverpool and the scenery of Cumbria, on this journey Paul may end up finding more than just another victim but potentially finding himself.

Now I always like to give British Films a chance and on first impressions this one isn't too bad for a light comedy – however everything about it strikes you while you watch it as "Average". The jokes will make you smirk and maybe laugh occasionally but it's not side-splitting and it's certainly not original. From the word go – the film is predictable and nothing that special. Imelda Staunton and Colm Meaney are the strongest performers in this flick. The St Trinian who only left RADA last year (Gemma Artertan) is the eye candy in this film – but her performance is almost comparable to the cameo of the awful and dire Kerry Katona. However the biggest gripe comes half way into the movie when the Director thinks it would be a good idea to experiment with Angles. Now camera angles rarely bother me – but in this film while Mackenzie and Colm are shouting near a bunch of cows the director really should have re shot – shaky almost out of focus and badly directed – however thankfully the rest of the movie isn't shot in this way.

An enjoyable film if you're not expecting anything, but it's certainly not going to make waves over seas as this is no Full Monty or Four Weddings. It certainly doesn't merit the attention of the overpaid Underground Unions; it simply doesn't insult the occupation of driving Underground Train so they really shouldn't bother picketing as this film will be forgotten very quickly.
  • sonoftrev18 December 2008
    Well first things first. As this movie is marketed as a comedy I would like to point out all the biting and incisive wit within that us Brits are so famous for. Except I can't, because there isn't any! It shows the depths to which studios have plumbed that they actually thought this movie was a marketable commodity.

Mackenize Crook sleepwalks his way through a banal and frankly insulting script, as Paul Callow. A Dostoyevsky reading tube train driver, with aspirations to be a writer, who has killed 2 passengers in a matter of weeks and needs just one more to receive a pay off and early retirement. Oh the hilarity as he approaches an old man outside a retirement home and asks him to oblige. Our detestable and unsympathetic hero settles on Colm Meaney's Tommy Cassidy, a tramp with a terminal illness. I know my sides are splitting too! Frankly, that an actor as gifted as Meaney and the wonderful Imelda Staunton, who plays Meaney's wife, have to struggle with this rubbish is embarrassing.

It gets worse. Any director that imagines giving the awful fat gob on legs, Kerry Katona, a cameo in his film is going to lend some kind of populist gloss to his trite ideas really should throw himself under the next train to oblivion. Which is where first time director Johnathan Gershfield is surely heading after this abomination. Oh, and don't get me started on future Bond girl Gemma Arterton, she is so wooden she must vomit sawdust!

Weak script, weak acting, appalling direction and worst of all an incredibly patronising attempt to tack a pointless feel good moment of self discovery onto the loathsome main character at the end. He can write! He's cleaned his flat! I nearly puked! If you spend good money to watch this rubbish you probably will too. The most poignant moment of the whole film is when Mackenzie Crook looks out of the window of his flat, and on the sill is a copy of Joseph Heller's novel Catch 22. Now thats funny black comedy! This, excuse the pun, is a trainwreck of a movie. Avoid.
  • Although the producers have classed it as a comedy, I don't really find it can fit under just one genre. It wasn't a comedy of the sort like "American pie", "School of Rock" or "The Simpsons film" (just to name some really famous ones) in which you get regular jokes, set characters to make you laugh e.g. homer or jack black in that case, where you expect to say or do stupid/funny things, it was more of a literal 'film', perhaps like "Bridget Jone's diary", only whereas the same comedy style mentioned above, featuring some elements of comedy and its few moments, but not an actual pure comedy like the 3 examples I gave earlier.

I would actually call it more one of those films like "there will be blood" or "thirteen" that really just make you think or reflect, films that would be good to watch if you are interested in sociology. I must admit I find it hugely ironic that out of the many many films I've seen in my time that this, a classed "comedy" that is the only film other than "ghost" (I was very very young) that has ever managed to actually make me cry. The ending left me feeling very upset, as were literally almost the rest of the audience as they walked out the screen, you grow an attachment to the characters.

I was sceptical about seeing the film at first as the issue of the proposed comedy was suicide, but I think the directors didn't handle it controversially or distastefully overall. I also enjoyed how the film made me think about how everyone literally has such a past and a story to tell.

Overall I think the film was worth seeing, and would recommend it if you want something abit stronger or harder then the average film. Prehaps the producers were also unsure of how to really class this film into a genre.
  • Let's get one thing clear first; the much-publicised hype regarding the subject matter of this movie did not influence me in any way. Yes, a film about such violent, but everyday, death will have it's critics, but they won't bother to see it anyway. One look at the casting credits & you'd imagine you'd be on to a sure-fire winner; alas, the adage "never judge a book..." is so true here. The clumsy camera work, shoddy editing & uninspired locations, combined with a lack-lustre script, make this feel as if it's a college project gone horribly wrong. All stories have a beginning, middle & end. The story here hurried the beginning & rushed it's end in order, no doubt, to explore the meat of the middle. Unfortunately, I felt the middle decidedly lacking in any texture. Mackenzie Crook looked ill at ease throughout, showing no balance of emotion & Sir Anthony Sher was superfluous to the "plot". It fell to Colm Meaney & Imelda Staunton to provide the only characters worthy of my time, but they too, surely, must've been putting faith into the guys at the cutting room to turn their clichéd lines into something worth seeing. I'm afraid, they were let down badly.
  • The Christian Idea of God's Grace, the forgiveness one attains through repentance, is an optimistic stanza one assumes toward life – the absolution is always possible, no matter how great the offense.

Assuming a hard working dope that's all his life tried to endure and provide, to be fair and altruistic, to love and cherish his wife and children – this dope lives and dies without love and forgiveness, because there is nothing to forgive. Next day after expiration he is forgotten. This dope, like the air, nobody notices – it is always there and is taken for granted because it is unconditionally given and always available.

Consider a catholic mobster, who kills, rapes and tortures, he appears in a confession booth and in a minute is fully renewed and forgiven. No more sins and life starts anew. Same with the main character of this film, perhaps not fully forgiven but remembered, for all these years of being an egoist and a scumbag, his daughter still loves him, for all these promises, that remained unfulfilled, she missed him all these years. He's not an air to her, familiar and always accessible, rather unattainable dream, never fulfilled and always pregnant with potentiality. And after the final loss (death) he will be remembered and never forgotten as a mystery, never fully revealed. Apparently there is a golden median, were giving and appreciation go hand-in-hand, in a dynamic equilibrium – but how one finds this balance? Often, promises of eternal salvation that will follow ethical behavior obtain no evidence of the salvation while we are still alive.

"Three and Out" provides no answers to these eternal questions. The title itself, reflecting narrative setup - "Run over three people in one month to obtain the ticket out of this mad house into a paradise" – does not really suggest good symbolism. Two accidental victims and, finally, last one, executed. Perhaps this is due punishment, without mercy, an execution that restores justice. "A deal is a deal" – an obligation before God and people in the game called Life, where one who not giveth should not receiveth. No mercy. But then the ending, the daughter of the executed with the executioner are now lovers.

Positive: An attempt to address a human condition. The casting presents ordinary people.

Negative: Trite plot – we already had seen films with very similar ideas before and similar outcomes. Characters often are not believable. Paul and Frankie are very unlikely pair and their engagement feels very forced and unreal. The film never achieves pathos that is required when addressing this kind of matters.

Conclusion: The director was trying to make a film that means something – not just an entertainment. I do not feel he had fully succeeded. However, this is a serious effort, and should be treated with respect.
    Firstly, I have to say that the controversy surrounding this film is totally unfounded. I can see why many train drivers and other people would object to a film about suicide (and trying to convince people to commit suicide), but if they actually SAW this film, I think they'd agree that the subject matter is handled very well. It doesn't make a joke about it and it's very heart wrenching as you delve deeper into Tommy's life as he tries to make up for the mistakes he made. In many ways, he see's suicide as a form of redemption to help his family. And just when you think it's going to have a happy ending--you'd be surprised! Overall, while I don't think it's the best British film to come out in recent years, it's certainly not a bad film in general. The acting is brilliant and the story (while a little far fetched) does follow nicely and makes the film easy to watch. If you watch this expecting a laugh out loud comedy, look elsewhere. But if you fancy a emotional, yet slightly depressing, storyline that will tug at your heartstrings... go ahead and give it a go. Don't believe the controversy surrounding this film until you've seen it, it's worth a look.
  • It's got Imelda Staunton in it and it's still absolutely dreadful from start to finish, which is all you need to know about this egregious mess.
  • leejjones-9248618 March 2020
    I had wanted to see this film since 2008 when I saw the posters plastered everywhere watched it last night and thought it was nothing special not really a comedy or a drama is just there.
  • Paul Callow (Mackenzie Crook) is a London subway train driver. After running one person after another, his co-workers tell him about a little known rule. If he kills one more person in the same month, he will get a buyout of 10 years salary and an early retirement. After the required time off, he has only one day to hit that last person. He starts looking for a willing participant. He pulls Tommy Cassidy (Colm Meaney) away from jumping off a bridge and pays him £1500 to do it in front of his train. Tommy's motto is "a deal's a deal" and he wants to swim with sharks. With the limited time, he decides to visit his estranged wife Rosemary (Imelda Staunton) and daughter Frances (Gemma Arterton) with Paul in tow.

The general concept is problematic. It's not a naturally funny idea and this is not done with enough comedy to overcome it. It tries to be a black comedy while keeping Paul a good guy. It doesn't work. This could have worked with a sleazy underhanded Paul who gets his comeuppance in the end. With Paul as a good guy, I don't like the way this ends but the movie's problem is well entrenched by then. Meaney and Staunton are a good dramatic pairing but they're not that funny. Arterton comes in like a freight train but it's only a secondary character in the second half. The level of difficulty with this comedy is high and it doesn't make it.
  • Enjoyable little story but it seems such a waste. A cast of brilliant actors and an amusing premise but it's put together in such a dated and maudlin way that it just leaves you wondering what could have been.
    OK, so you have had the misfortune of the accidents, and we all know that ASLEF have taken grave offence to this. And, in it's rawest form, they MAY have a point...or do they? Haven't we all watched films that portray dark things for the sake of comedy? OK, take Undertaker's Paradise (2000) for instance - the premise being that an undertaker takes to murdering a load of people to keep his business afloat, essentially for cash. Now, did the 'Undertaker's Union' get in a huff at being portrayed as salacious lovers of death? Perhaps not as i'm not sure they have a union, but my thinking is that they wouldn't have. After all, they realise it's just a film! I digress. OK, so the film starts off at a pretty fast pace with a quick set-up and launches headlong into what is essentially a moral cat-and-mouse extravaganza. But that's wherein the base of the films lies: morality and human emotion.

I, like some other reviewers and commentators was surprised by this as it would seem from the posters that it's about chasing the cash, so it was a nice surprise that this as not the case.

Mackenzie Crook delivers a good performance, and Gemma Arterton is adequately (and often nakedly) there for the guys, but Colm Meaney and Imelda Staunton really provide the heart-warming depth to the whole film. The interaction and emotional heartstrings that are pulled, using the lead as a vehicle for the film, really works well I feel, and gives the film some good depth, whilst the pace is kept up by the 'comedy capers' of awkward yet sweet Crook.

I really do think that those who are offended by the premise should have a peek because it's really quite a sweet film with some real laugh-out-loud gags in there. One of which is Kerry Katona attempting to act, though not sure if that's intentional.

I'm giving it an 8 because it makes for a good 'date' movie, and is deffo one for the girlies to enjoy...
  • This is an entertaining British movie, kind of in the tradition of "Shaun of the Dead" (but without the zombies) or "Keeping Mum". Like those films it is a pitch-black comedy, but with a surprisingly soft heart at its center.

The story is about a London tube driver (MacKenzie Crook)who has accidentally run over two people in a month and will receive a retirement pension if he hits a third. So he tries to find a suicidal candidate who will agree to jump in front of his train. Naturally, his plans go hilariously awry. He first goes on the internet and meets an extreme German pervert who wants to be eaten (making hilarious light of a very disturbing incident that really did happen in German). He finally settles on a suicidal vagrant (Colm Meaney), but before they complete their "deal", he winds up accompanying, his new associate on a trip to the Lake District to have a final reconciliation with his estranged wife and embittered adult daughter (Gemma Areton).

Colm Meaney really makes this movie. He is very funny, but also a very tragic and redemptive character who really allows this movie to transcend its initial very funny, but obviously very silly, conceit to become something genuinely moving. Gemma Areton has a smaller part as his daughter, but she is both genuinely boner-inducing and really great. Frankly, her nude scene is worth the price of admission all by itself, but the movie still would have been good without it. As for Crook, he is more than adequate, as is Imelda Staunton as the wife. I'd definitely recommend this one.
  • Very funny performances from main characters Mackenzie Crook and Gemma Arterton, along with the rest of the supporting cast.

The film is controversial as the plot focuses on a serious issue, but the well written script means that 'Three and Out' is more of a lighthearted comedy.

The soundtrack - with its mix of Irish and Rock music is also well suited to the film, fitting with the lighthearted mood.

The quality of camera work and photography is good, shot in Cumbria and Liverpool there is lots of superb scenery.

Overall, this is a very funny movie well worth going to see!
  • ghonet20 April 2008
    You're a London tube driver and you've had two 'one-unders' in as many weeks. You're traumatised but completely blameless. Then you're told about the 'Three and Out' rule; three fatal accidents within a month and you're out of a job... but with a huge pay off! What do you do? Take trauma counselling and drive very, very carefully? Or do you seek out a third 'one-under', take the cash, pay off your debts and retire to a Scottish idyll to write your novel? How far would you honestly go to achieve your dream? Well, in this macabre comedy Mackenzie Crook (from "The Office" and "Pirates of the Caribbean" fame) is willing to try anything. Even if it means encouraging the waifs and strays and down right depressed of this world to end their troubled lives under the wheels of his Tube train. Supporting Crook is "Star Trek: The Next Generation" alumni Colm Meaney along with last year's breakout star of "St. Trinian's" Gemma Arterton - soon to be seen alongside Daniel Craig in James Bond's latest adventure "Quantum of Soalce". "Three And Out" is a darkly funny tale of the perpetual loser and his fight to achieve just the merest semblance of a life.
  • rocknrelics16 April 2017
    I avoided anything with Mackenzie Crook in, because I had always associated him with Ricky Gervais, and I absolutely hate Ricky Gervais. I then saw' The Detectorists 'which I absolutely fell in love with, and saw Mackenzie in a different light, which led me to watching this. What a great film, characters you care about, excellent performances, unique story line and lots of subtle laughs.