• For anyone who thinks this is close to Psych...you're dead wrong. While both shows take a similar premise, they're so different in many ways. This show does have a man with the ability to spot minute details, but he does so much more, he plays mind games with people, reads their emotions and sets elaborate traps to catch them. Many compare him to Shawn Spencer of Psych, but I would rather compare him to Sherlock Holmes, except more tortured. The pilot obviously takes on a more serious approach than Psych and the dynamics of the show go from cute and funny to deeply disturbing in seconds.

It takes your one crime per episode procedural drama with a gifted detective and takes it one step further. Patrick Jane is more self effacing, gets into trouble and is a known fraud. But he isn't mean or intentionally rubs people the wrong way like House(also based on Holmes) or Spencer. He is very soothing, warm, instills trust and seems to get along with people pretty well, from the guy who did it to his team. At the same time, he does like to flex his intellect and power over people and loves to play games to get answers (and yet, so charming when he does so). So it's kind of disarming when you begin to see there are some serious issues with this character, he doesn't sleep, doesn't believe in life after death (and is happy that way), and is actually anti-social with the group. There are further reasons as to his psychosis that won't be discussed. Behind those warm baby blues, warm smile and calming presence, there is a man being crushed to death by very weighty issues.

Patrick Jane is a fantastic character, he's obviously brilliant, but a little distant and isn't fond of working with others. As a former faux psychic he seems pretty ready to disable believers. And of course, Simon Baker is a brilliant actor and is the reason I tuned in (I admit I too feared this was a Psych ripoff) and he brings so much depth to this character. When he plays his mind games he always brings a sense of "I know more than you and there is nothing you can do about it." type of amusement and when Red John or death apparates in conversation you see a distant look in his eyes that conveys more than what he actually saying (the psychiatry appointment in the pilot was incredible). He really plays off the layers of Patrick Jane well, pulling some back and when we get a true glimpse, the layers fall back in place. And credit goes to the set-up of Red John as his "nemesis" through a copy cat. He and Jane have a very tense meet up awaiting them, but I can wait for that just to experience the chase and the unraveling history between these two.

Another credit would go to the incredible Robin Tunney (of The Craft and Empire Records) who was reason number two for watching the pilot. She has had very little to work with in the first two episodes (but her role grew from 1 to 2 so I have faith), but she plays the hard nosed detective with a little more prudishness and distance than I would have expected. How much she knows about Jane and how far they go back is a mystery to me and their dynamic is interesting. She doesn't fall into stereotype and has retained a beguiling sense of mystery. I also appreciate the lack of clichéd moments "fraught with sexual tension" between Lisbon and Jane.

And I'd also like to credit Tim Kang- a lovely surprise and I enjoyed his character who really doesn't give a crap about hurting people's feelings or stepping on toes, he just wants to solve the case. Love it and kudos.

My only complaint would be explained in the two above paragraphs briefly. I love Cho and Lisbon and hope to get see more of the team (Van Pelt and Rigsby are really cute as well), but I understand this is called "The Mentalist" and there is still time to slowly introduce Jane's history with the team and more in depth coverage of these characters. I've only seen two episodes and I think what I anticipate will come into fruition.

Overall, this show is well written, well acted, and beautifully shot. I for one have set up a season recording on my DVR and cannot wait for the next episode, yes you can consider me a fan and I hope you head over to CBS.com and give this show a chance. I wish I had more stars to give.
  • The lead character Patrick Jane (Simon Baker) aka the 'Mentalist' plays a 'psychic' consultant for a serious crime unit headed by Lisbon (played Robin Tunney, "Prison Break") along with the rest of the cast, Cho (Tim Kang "Rambo"), Van Pelt (Amanda Righetti, "OC") and Rigby (Owain Yeoman "Nine"). But Patrick is no psychic, he relies upon acute observation and a penchant for playing mind games with the 'suspects' (and other members of the unit)to solve the case.

The character of Patrick is full of intrigue; he's sexy, funny, smooth but at the same time is tormented by a dark secret of his own doing. The dynamic between him and the rest of the unit is one of great 'hooks' of this show. The conventional law abiding enforcement officers are often at odds with Patrick's eccentric and often risqué way of going about solving crimes. The show plays up to this. The humour and tension between the characters do not appear to be contrived. And of course its always Patrick that comes out on top.

Unlike other crime TV series such as CSI, that depend on sophisticated, often over-the top 'scientific' methodology (CGI effects) to appeal to audiences, the Mentalist brings us back to the good old 'detective's hunch' style of crime-busting. It is a breathe of fresh air in a genre saturated with technical jargon and outlandish plot.

The way each case is solved is complex, yet very believable, and the magic comes from the sense of wonder at Patrick's mind tricks.

The show however still follows much of the conventional approach to to the crime genre, with the cliché of red-herrings, incompetent officers and a detective on a personal mission, but the charisma of Simon Baker as the lead detective Patrick Jane pulls the show together.

Another drawback is the seemingly lack of character depth in the minor cast members. Lisbon, Cho, Rigby and Van Pelt all play second fiddle to Patrick and look like sidekicks rather than team members. But the show is slowly providing space for their development.

The show is named after the lead protagonist, and he promptly delivers. He is charming yet gritty, nonchalant yet brilliant, careless yet vulnerable. He's warm and cold at the same time, full of contradictions and full of flaws. Simon Baker portrays these subtle shades of Patrick's personality with an ease, and has made this so accessible to the audience.

The Mentalist is one of those tortured anti-heroes the strikes a cord with the audience and we can not wait to unravel Patrick's full story.
  • I honestly say that the first I heard of this show I thought the premise was too simple and too recurrent. However I seem to find myself waiting impatiently for each week's episode and what is Patrick going to pull this time!

Also, I'm sick and tired of all the comparisons with Psych and House and whatever you may come up with! This show is NOT House, it's NOT Psych, it has a clear identity and is surely not a copycat. Sure it has similar elements: the House-like vibe of the background music and types of situations, or the Psych-like fact that the main character can spot details with one look; but what show these days doesn't? I mean, all CSI variants are the same! Come on...

So I tell you: this is a very good show, it can still pick up some pace (at least I can see that they're taking advantage of the Anime-style fillers) but every episode is fun to watch and grips you to the last minute.

The main character was what surprised me the most though. Despite the fact that being Portuguese I enjoy that the lead detective is called Lisbon, Mr Patrick Jane seemed just another pretty face on TV. However I can now see that I was terribly wrong: it is a great character and is portrayed by a very good actor; the changes between whimsical smiles and disturbing stares are... well disturbingly good!

So watch it, it's worth it and you might learn a thing or two!
  • 'The Mentalist' is the latest American crime drama to make its way to British shores and so far, it is proving itself to be a promising show which will hopefully continue to flourish. The show revolves around Patrick Jane, a mentalist (someone with a highly developed sense of observation who can give the illusion that they have psi abilities) with a haunted past, who uses his unique skills to help the California Bureau of Investigation solve crimes.

A show of this genre is obviously going to attract comparisons to other shows like 'Medium' (which is ridiculous because Jane is steadfast in his view that he is not psychic and there are no such thing as psychics) or 'Psych'. In the case of the latter, admittedly, there are similarities to be had but 'Psych' is very much drama-lite comedy whereas this show can be dark and is a serious take on having an adviser with such abilities working with law enforcement.

Simon Baker does an excellent job depicting Patrick Jane as a man who, on the surface, is genial, charismatic and arrogant but hides his dark emotional problems that we catch glimpses of as the show progresses. Jane, for all his relaxed persona, is a man who cannot come to terms with his tragic past and is an insomniac with anti-social tendencies and a cynical view of the world around him. He is a truly fascinating character and it will be interesting to see how he continues to develop. The rest of the cast do well but for now their characters take second place to Jane. Female lead character Teresa Lisbon is the leader of the CBI team that Jane liaisons with and is starting to stand up as a character in her own right as well as someone who is beginning to understand the secrets of Jane. However, everyone else still need time to be develop, which is understandable for a show only in its infancy.

In all, 'The Mentalist' continues to excel and seeks to be yet another success from America (so, CBS, please don't cancel it!). It offers a unique insight into crime and the people involved. It also involves tantalising characters who leave the viewers desperate to uncover what makes them tick. Here's looking to a good few seasons to enjoy.
  • mjmdl20 January 2009
    I really like the show and it's actors. It stars a man who had a career acting as a psychic who was just pretending for the money. He made the mistake of catching the attention of a serial killer who retaliated by killing his family. He recovered from a breakdown and now works as a consultant to help the bureau catch the "bad guy" by using those same intuitive, observant skills and really listening to what people do and don't say. Simon Baker plays quite a multifaceted character that goes from playful to serious, whichever is called for and does it very well. The Mentalist has a good blend of being neither too dark like Criminal Minds or too lightweight like Psych, shows which I also watch.
  • Chi3_1619 November 2008
    The mentalist is no doubt not an original concept, and yes, it might be somehow related to Psych. The show does distinguish itself from Psych with its new and unrelated material. The series literally takes you on a ride as one feels involved in the investigations with every episode. The haters of the show should ease up. This is good old detective work, which relies on careful crime scene observation and a bit of suspect manipulation, as oppose to the science ridden crime dramas which bombard our television sets every evening. No disrespect to C.S.I. One more thing that struck me, has anyone else noticed the number of 24 alumni appearing on the show?? Up until episode 7, we have had 4 alumni, Steve Culp, Xander Berkeley,Gregory Itzin and Leslie Hope. I wonder who is coming up next........ Catch the show for its wit and fun, if not.....check it out to see if Jack Bauer shows up to help The Mentalist.....
  • I've only seen about four of five episodes of this show and I liked it, but as others have said, it follows a rather familiar vein. Trying not to compare it to anything else though, I found it to be enjoyable at face value. The lead character is likable and keeps the interrogations and methods of discovery light and conversational which is nice. I like that his part isn't really dark and sinister, which was an avenue obviously available to the writers given the main character's back story.

I liked the charisma between Baker and Robin Tunney and I like that his character doesn't take himself to seriously. Yes, the writers do ask you to suspend your belief occasionally and to get viewership the writers have had to make the stories bizarre and convoluted, which isn't necessarily a problem, it just makes it look like they've got heat from network people to make it edgy when it could be more mind-bending instead.

It's a fun show that can be watched at leisure and enjoyed without a serious dedication to it, which can be nice in an age of shows with year-long story arcs. If you miss one, you're not totally out of loop. If you've got an hour to spare, give it a shot. It's enjoyable.
  • I am very interested in the sort of mental tricks that are shown on this show. Not that I want to be the guy, I'm more interested in why the human brain works the way it does, and so far the tricks he uses are well based in reality...as strange as they are.

As much as I like crime dramas, there are so many of them on TV right now. I wish they could have exposed the psychology to viewers in a different format, but on the flip side, I can't suggest a better alternative either for the moment. For choosing an over-used format I take two ratings off a perfect 10. As the last reviewer suggested the plots will have to get strange to be new.

In contrast to the last reviewer, I do like the lead character a lot, probably because I understand more why he does the things he does. Simon Baker does a great job of acting as a Mentalist, from whom is he drawing his inspiration from? They must have a consultant helping the show.

If you want to understand the show better, you may be interested in Derren Brown - Tricks of the Mind videos.
    Okay, first let's get this out of the way, shall we? I've already heard the naysayers griping about how this is a blatant rip-off of USA's series PSYCH. And you know what I think? I think that's an insult...to THE MENTALIST. I have seen at least one episode of PSYCH, and I have one question...WHY would you defend that show? It's horrible! I gave it one chance to impress me, especially since the episode I saw featured one of my favorite actors, Tim Curry, as a special guest star. I don't know who I was more embarrassed for - poor Tim for choosing to make that appearance, or for myself having to watch him slog through it.

But enough about PSYCH...please. THE MENTALIST is the brainchild of creator/writer Bruno Heller, whom you might remember had something to do with a modest little HBO series called ROME. Well, Heller's knack for great writing shines through here, with an opening scene in the pilot that will leave you open-mouthed with disbelief! Very few shows will catch your attention the way this one did and I loved it. I only had one gripe...the casting. Should Stephen Culp and Zeljko Ivanek (who appears later) really be playing any more villains? Please...let's get some people in here whose very presences don't give the surprises away!

Aside from that, it's a great introduction to the super-observant Patrick Jane (THE GUARDIAN'S Simon Baker), a 'consultant' to the police's Special Crimes division who once made his name as one of those "John Edward"-type TV psychics. But that was before he managed, in his arrogance, to get the attention of a serial murderer known only as "Red John", whose grisly crime-scene trademark is a smiley face painted on the wall in his victims' blood. When Jane calls John out on national television...well, if you guessed that one of those smiley faces ended up at Jane's house where his wife and daughter were, you get the prize!

I never watched THE GUARDIAN, though I am familiar with Simon Baker from other things and I do like him. Plus he has great chemistry with Robin Tunney, who plays investigator Teresa Lisbon. And it's nice to see Owain Yeoman from the unfairly canceled THE NINE (and most recently from TERMINATOR as the "first" incarnation of Cromartie) in another series - one that will hopefully last for more than a single season!

THE MENTALIST does come across as a blend of PSYCH-meets-COLUMBO, but with a more conventionally handsome lead than Peter Falk, and much better writing than PSYCH. Now that we know what drives the clever and tormented Mr. Jane, I hope we're treated in between other cases to his ongoing dust-up with the elusive "Red John."
    I really enjoyed the pilot episode of this fast-paced show. The acting is very good; actually the lead actor, Simon Baker, is great. He is mesmerizing whenever he's in a scene. The premise is that Patrick Jane (Baker) is a former fake psychic whose family was murdered by a serial killer, Red Jack. Partically as atonement for having pretended to have psychic abilities, Jane is now on the side of the good guys. He is often called upon to help police solve crimes, not with any psychic abilities, but with his unusual and highly attuned powers of observation. The serial killer,Red Jack, is still on the loose several years later. In the pilot, another Red-Jack-like murder has just taken place. Only Jane realizes that the killer is a copycat and not the real Red Jack. Through his uncanny abilities and keen sense of observation and reading people, Jane is able to identify the real killer. The show has a great supporting cast and is smartly directed and shot. But the real pull and the big star is Simon Baker. He is simply great as the mentalist. He shows just the right amount of angst and humanity that has you pulling for him and feeling the pain and sorrow of his family's death, even though it occurred 5 years ago. He carries this show on his very capable shoulders.
  • "The Mentalist" is very similar to "Psych" in that the lead character is trained to spot minute details, and through these observations he solves crimes. Where Shawn Spencer of "Psych" pretends to be a psychic private investigator while assisting the Santa Barbara police, Patrick Jane is a person who used to pretend to be a psychic (to achieve fame and wealth), but is now using his abilities as a private investigator to help the police. His motivation for assisting the police is made apparent in the pilot episode.

It is from here that the two premises diverge. "Psych" uses its premise to present a brilliant comedy where the interactions between the characters place the overall mystery and its solving in a secondary role (clues are highlighted on the screen to assist the viewer, for example). "The Mentalist" goes in the direction of the CSI-type crime drama. The story is serious and the clues are intentionally obscure for the viewer. Perhaps the most humorous element of the pilot is the veiled reference to USA's Adrian Monk of "Monk." A crime scene investigator with obvious anti-social behaviors wanders about the room making hand gestures while describing the minutia of the crime scene (a la Adrian Monk).

Is "The Mentalist" a good series and worth watching? If you like crime dramas, then certainly. If you would like a dramatic interpretation of "Psych," then the show is for you. If you are angered by a show borrowing themes and premises from your favorite show, then probably not. After all, Shawn Spencer is simply another character in a long list of characters with exceptional observational abilities (Sherlock Holmes and Columbo are but two which come to mind).
    Simon Baker surprised me with the lighthearted but guilt-ridden mentalist; I didn't like him so much in "The Guardian" (he seemed always in the wrong mood there), but I think he found the right tone here. Fantastic Robin Tunney as the tough but reasonable Teresa Lisbon; delicious Amanda Righetti as the unavoidable, contrasting naive believer Grace Van Pelt. I think she's a fair portrait of most believers in the paranormal: good hearted, well intentioned, but oblivious of the fraudulent techniques of the "psychics" and hoping to find "the real deal" some time. And willing to believe in transcendence. So close to so many people we all know.

Comparisons with Psych abound, but they all miss the main point of "The Mentalist": first, the protagonist openly says "There's no such thing as a psychic" (and he knows, painfully, how easy is to deceive others); and second, the series doesn't relent. (Until now, at least.) Even when forced with a very skilled con artist which appeals to his guilt and sense of loss, Patrick never relents, except to acknowledge the pain and the guilt.

I sincerely hope the series doesn't cave to the pressure which, surely, will receive, and continues to present only a rational point of view, not catering to the believers in the paranormal. We have TOO MUCH credulous TV shows; let us have, for one, a show showing a rational explanation without pandering to woo-woo.
    Having briefly perused some of the recent Mentalist reviews, I see it's been a long time since anyone posted any serious (or even coherent) comments about the show, so here goes.

"5" doesn't exactly represent my feelings about this show; in fact, I am a fan - or at least trying to be, and that is why I find this show so frustrating. Most series of this type (bland, predictable, major network police procedurals) are simply bad, and may be ignored. Out of every season of the Mentalist, at least 19 of the 23 episodes fall into this category. The problem is that Episodes 1, 23, and usually one or two mid-season ones are very good. The reason for this is simple: these are the only episodes that deal with the show's main narrative, the Red John storyline. The series is so schizophrenic in this regard, it's almost like two separate shows in one. I don't know of any other series which is so divided.

The other "filler" episodes are either one-offs that have nothing to do with any continuous narrative, or aim at developing the show's supporting characters. Unfortunately for the latter approach, every character apart from Patrick Jane, Red John, and possibly Lisbon, is utterly generic and as dull as dishwater. Do the makers of this show really think that the same viewers who are drawn to Jane's morally-ambiguous character and the tense revenge narrative of Red John (the only person who can actually outwit him) will be remotely engaged by the clownish foibles of Wayne Rigsby having a baby, or Cho having relationship problems with a ditsy girlfriend? Not that Patrick Jane is much more interesting most of the time, since all he does in those 19 out of 23 episodes is act coy and recycle a narrow repertoire of what are now (after four seasons) VERY tired parlor tricks.

And then, just when you've basically given up on the show and forgotten about it, they pull an awesome season-ender out of the hat (the last two have been great), and as a viewer, you're left scratching your head as to how a show that is so god-awful 90 percent of the time can suddenly be so good.

I can only assume that the reasons for this have to do with the blandness requirements of major-networks. It's a shame this show wasn't on FX or AMC instead; it probably would have been much better. It's no coincidence that most of the best shows on television right now are focusing much more on developing a single narrative stream - like Breaking Bad, Hell on Wheels, Sons of Anarchy - even Justified, which started out much more as a regular police procedural. The random-episode structure is just played out. People want an engaging, continuous story.

At any rate, I doubt the Mentalist will run for too much longer unless they start to focus more on the show's one real strong point, as I expect even those who enjoy the filler episodes (is this really possible?) must be getting tired of hearing Jane say "the killer is in this room right now!" In short, if every episode of the Mentalist was like episode 23 of any given season, I'd happily give the show a 10. But because the remaining episodes are essentially unwatchable, it averages out to a 5. It's a shame.
  • If ever there was a show that could evoke such strong emotions, this is it. The Mentalist. Best show ever.

Right from the 1st episode till the last scene, there was never a dull moment. The writing was perfect. The acting more so. Execution flawless. Simon Baker deserves every accolade for making us believe he was a real "not-a- psychic". His facial expressions, his charming and buoyant self, his acting were all fabulous. Every cast member since the beginning of the show has been amazing with their roles and I don't think there was ever any actor in the show that did not fit his/her role or that did not put in his/her best efforts. All of them deserve a standing ovation.

Its sad for us to watch the show come to an end but all great things always must. I think no other character will ever be able to match Patrick Jane in terms of sheer fun, wittiness and, well, a flair for the dramatic. His methods and deductions being insanely awesome all the while.

As for the ending, it was the best anyone could hope for. Like many others, I did miss those Red-John story- line episodes initially during season 6. But then I have never seen any show end its main story- line and still hold its own so well. Most of the shows simply trail off into non- existence once the primary perpetrator is caught or dead. However this show surprised me with the transformation it under went and that is definitely a big kudos to Bruno Heller there. Very hard to pull that off. Though it ended sooner than I would have liked it to, I still respect the decision to do so.

Most importantly, I will miss the smiling man who tricked his way into our hearts using his cons. But then, there's always repeat telecasts to stop that from happening. Cheers!
  • One of the most entertaining and pleasant to watch series I've seen. It is a wonderful illustration of how paying attention to events, as well as to people, can be an extremely powerful tool, and how most people are actually totally absent-minded compared to what they could be. Jane is brilliant as an ex-psychic who states that he was just pretending to have psychic powers, and who now uses mental acuity and mind tricks to get ahead of any situation and quickly expose liars and criminals in his own unique way, while having fun at it. The interactions between him and Lisbon are so fun. It's not necessarily about Jane's incredibly clever maneuvers being plausible or not. It's about the power of paying attention and understanding human behavior and emotions. Weather this can be done to this extent or not is not the point. The point is that in any field, there are some who are way better than most, and Jane is the best when it comes to figuring out deceit and camouflaged crimes.
  • I don't imagine that Patricia Arquette is too pleased with this series! Her series titled Medium is basically the same premise as this show, but I found it to be aimed directly at women. Thats where the Mentalist shines because it is aimed at all demographics really. Not only that but the show is witty, funny, and mysterious all at the same time. Basically it is a bunch of episodes that each of murder investigations where the Mentalist comes in to predict who did it. There is also a main storyline with a murderer called Red John who murdered the protagonists family. The episodes with Red John in them are the best ones so far, and I think the viewers are looking forward to seeing the final showdown between Red John and the protagonist!
  • The first few seasons of this show where really good.

It took the concept of a regular detective TV Show but with the twist of an interesting character who used observation and psychology to solve cases. What is more, it had an interesting main plot surrounding "Red John", the enigmatic killer who murdered the daughter and wife of the main character.

But, sadly, we are already 5 seasons into the show and the whole main plot is starting to get tedious and monotonous rather than interesting. The show follows a very generic formula a few times each season of introducing a new character that has clear information about Red John only to later somehow kill him (either by one of the main characters or by Red John himself) before he can tell the audience any new or relevant information. The same trick has been used in several mid seasons and full season finales, and personally I'm starting to loose interest in the whole story.

I tend to watch several "detective", "investigation" shows such as criminal minds, castle, white collar, etc. The way the writers of those shows keep it interesting is by introducing a new main story ever 1-2 seasons. Sadly, the people making the Mentalist seem to be so afraid of finishing (or advancing) the main plot that it is starting to feel really stretched out
    Simon Baker leads this transfixing show of murder as the character Patrick Jane. He's sassy, funny and always has an answer and that's the main reason I have stood by this show since the very start. along with his company of agents, Patrick Jane has successfully solved hard murders. Being the best thing that has ever happened to the California Bureau of Investigation, his frequent mind games help to solve many a murder

Raised as a carnival physic, his training over the years has lead him to be able to 'read' facial expressions, hypnotize and tell when people are lying. His sidekick/boss Teresa Lisbon get the brunt of his antics while his team Grace Van Pelt (Amanda Righetti), Wayne Rigsby (Owain Yeoman) and Kimball Cho (Tim Kang) help him investigate. Patrick's motivation to join the CBI was to help them track down the notorious serial killer Red John, who was also responsible for the death of Patrick's wife and child. So with his mind and hate, Patrick joined to help the CBI.

As a show, The Mentalist is not like the other detectives, who use science, Patrick uses his skills to solve the murders like detectives used to do. So with a healthy portion of Witt and Skill, and a side portion of science, the Mentalist has dominated America and UK. The show still uses the conventional approach to case solving using 'Red-Herrings' and other techniques, so it will leave you guessing from the start.

The case of Red John runs without the whole show, till midway through Season 6, where he is killed by Red John. Patrick runs away and the other cast get other jobs. But Patrick's idealistic lifestyle is interrupted when the FBI come and take him to America where he is faced with 2 choices, help the FBI or go to prison. So he decides to help them as long as Teresa can join.

So that's it for today, Bye
  • I continued to see The Mentalist even after being disappointed several times because I felt it had tremendous potential, maybe even be one of the top shows on television. But alas! it has continued to disappoint. In fact it has eventually pushed me to write a review so that I can vent my frustration with this series.

One of the major flaws with The Mentalist is the characterization of various roles. Dismal. Inconsistent. Poor. From Agent Lisbon to Jane, the characters seem to lack consistency. For example, I am most irritated with Lisbon's character.She is the 'boss' but her character is poorly defined. She is supposed to be tough, smart, strong and have all other responsibilities of a Chief agent and a leader of a team of detectives but unfortunately, she is no where close. There are numerous issues with Lisbon;She asks stupid questions during investigations, states the obvious in conversations, can overpower a big strong criminal,talks to Jane as if she owns him , and many other such things which are completely unbelievable or dumb or unconvincing. Robbin Tunney does not fit in the role either.It could be poor casting or bad direction or amateur script writing any of which is badly affecting the show.

Another example is of The Mentalist himself, Patrick Jane. Although he is not a 'psychic', and supposed to be reading into people's minds through observations and behaviors, his character repeatedly has shown psychic powers in various episodes which defeats the whole purpose and leaves the viewer with no explanations.Also, I am not sure if he is a good or a bad actor as he shows acting brilliance in some scenes and is extremely stupid in others.The viewer gets the impression that the moment he knows about a case, he has already solved it in his mind and knows the culprit and the the unfolding of the story is just as his thoughts or who he thinks the criminal was. There again, it could be poor scripts or bad character definition but the flaws are clearly seen.

Others such as Rigsby and Cho are far more convincing characters and actors. Van Pelt is a waste of time and without her there wouldn't be much of a difference.

I loved the concept of this show and the cases. Unfortunately, the directors and script writers have not done justice. A show with great potential but falls flat. I hope it improves as I know it easily can but for now, I guess, Its probably suited for school going kids only. Amateurish!!
    I was bluffed by the scene when Jane kills Red Jhon.In 20 seconds or less S Baker does extraordinary work as an actor. I am glad the series gave him the fame he had been deserving for long.As an ex drama school trainee I love nothing more than a good performance and when an actor or actress makes it, it is a great joy. If I met him I would ask him how many takes where taken, I think very few , and what came to his mind at that moment (a mix of physical effort,determination, pain, hate, sadness, relief and remembrance,pride to have avenged his family that shows only in his sole eyes).Impressive.(I think he definitely was not thinking about his tax bill at that moment).Only one interviewer asked him but I would have liked a more elaborate answer as S Baker only answered he let the logic of the character carry him. But I do think there was more there.Pure acting gem! I had noticed Baker in The Guardian as he was excellent in the scenes with the father, and a few other movies since then (I am a big fan of his performance in Death and Sex). When a super talented actor becomes a star I'am so glad for him and his family.So many don't make it. All stars are not super talented actors but he definitely has a very clever, vivacious and deep way of impersonating characters with a great sense of humour when necessary.I really think he is in my top ten for those 20 seconds of perfect acting and the third Aussie along with Gibson &Blanchett in my list. Good he could catch the wave (of success) on this one. I like also the writing of "The mentalist" a storyline quality but also a brilliant lines' writing in very good pleasant English.Tops!
  • After reading some of the comments, I was surprised not to to see the most obvious in there: Lie to Me (starring Tim Roth) and Eleventh Hour (starring Rufus Sewell). Simon Baker's character has a lot in common with these two: The clear scientific eye, the sadness behind the charming smile, the way they could care less for protocol and police authority. Another thing is that the actors are all non-American; two Brits and one Aussie. These three shows are all good in their own way, and I have no problem with similarities. Medium and Psych are both decent shows, but I don't think The Mentalist should be lumped in with them. As far as I'm concerned, you can play as many variations on a theme as you like, as long as they are good!
  • A famous "psychic" Patrick Jane (Simon Baker) outs himself as a fake and starts working as a consultant for the California Bureau of Investigation whose chief is Teresa Lisbon (Robin Tunney) , being her underlings the followings : Kimball Cho (Tim Kang) , Wayne Rigsby (Owain Yeoman) and Grace Van Pelt (Amanda Righetti) . Patrick Jane uses his magnificent gift for observation as well as deductions , and his mentalist skill to close an unprecedented number of cases . Meanwhile, Patrick dedicates his life to hunt down and attempts to kill "Red John," the madman who murdered his wife and daughter.

A nice show created by Bruno Heller , full of twisted cases , suspense , thrills , action and comedy . The series relies heavily on the peculiar concept for "The Mentalist" , an obstinate clairvoyant masterfully played by Simon Baker who is hyper-observant , fakes being a psychic , giving surprising observations , executing ploys and traps . Although its bears remarkable resemblance to another show which aired two years prior titled Psych (2006) with James Roday and Dulé Hill . The starring and producer Simon Baker gives a convincing and sympathetic acting as the mentalist Patrick Jane , a consultant who may not carry nor use a firearm and he helps the California Bureau of Investigation solve a large number of cases because of his gift of observation , plus various mentalist tricks that he possesses . But Patrick's outright illegal methods also bring much censure down on superior authorities . Patrick/Simon Baker helps specially to senior Lisbon/Robin Tunney with whom has a particular relationship and finally fall in love .

Other support actors playing enjoyable roles are the followings : -Tim Kang is good as the taciturn Detective Kimball Cho who often partnered with Wayne Rigsby . Cho is an important and competent member of the California Bureau , under direction of Teresa Lisbon ; he has an easy and silent temper and often carries out effective interrogations, getting good results in the suspects . -Wayne Rigsby is nicely played by Owain Yeoman ; Rigsby was an arson investigator before joining the CBI . Rigsby entered into a relationship with the beautiful and young Van Pelt wonderfully interpreted by Amanda Righetti , which at the time , was against CBI regulations . They attempted to keep it a secret, it eventually came to the notice of Madelyn Hightower finely performed by Aunjanue Ellis , who gave them the ultimatum ; either break off the relationship, or leave the CBI . Van Pelt made the decision to break off the relationship . Rigsby then entered into a relationship with Sarah , and they had a son . Later on , Rigsby and VanPelt resumed their relationship , which became permissible after a change in CBI regulations , and they later married .
    First of all I have to mention that I really love TV series with criminal investigations similar to the Mentalist. I've been watching Criminal Minds, Millennium, Lie to Me, etc. And yeah, coming from that and seeing the ratings on IMDb I had high expectations from the movie. I can only be blunt and say what I've actually found: - apart from the 'Red John' part of the story everything else is simply forgettable - forgettable performances - forgettable stories each episode in Season 1 (as far as I could watch) - most other TV series had amazing pilot episode and were very promising from the start. Mentalist disappointed first and then carried on the same dull line failing to deliver on a promising plot line. - the whole investigation team has forgettable characters. no charisma, no personality, plus his boss is just annoying nothing else. My view mirrors some of the film critics' and this has to be on of the most overrated movies I've seen on IMDb so far
  • The Mentalist uses all the skills of some of the best Sleuths in history. He uses all the tools of Sherlock like deduction. Or Hercule Poirot's observation. and a dash of Ellery Queen's charm and inquisitive nature. What's original is the choice of an former con artist for the role. Changed into a crusader of justice by the death of his wife and daughter by a serial killer. Patrick Jane is such a breath of fresh air. The way he speaks his mind to the rich and powerful. Calling them jerks for the way they act. His bunt nature is similar to Dr. House with out that venom he spews. Its a great show without all of the gory murders of CSI or NCIS.
  • Euroky26 September 2008
    Gee ManOWar, it appears your tastes don't go much farther than the obvious, else you'd recognize the original idea (a detective with hyper-tuned senses of observation) dates clear back to Sherlock Holmes and beyond.

Psyche is no more original than Mentalist, but as any copyright lawyer will tell you, you can't protect an idea, only the creative expression thereof. IMO, The Mentalist is a nicely creative expression of a very old and intriguing idea.

I'l be curious to see where it goes, but it certainly beats the inane silliness of Psyche, though I liked the show till this one came along. Who knows, it might not survive a season of scrutiny, either, but for the time being it'll do...