User Reviews (71)

• I would probably give this about a 5.5, but since that's not available, I'll be nice and say 6. Chloe Moretz is what primarily drove me to see this film at first, especially since I wasn't too familiar with or cared for any of the actors who were to be in it. I might be a bit biased because prior to my viewing, all I'd heard was how AWFUL this film was. But I said screw it, it's Chloe Moretz. I've been on a Chloe binge lately and thought I'd help satisfy it by catching this. A month before its May 11th release, I read the book and was legitimately impressed. The book truly captivates the reader, by giving you a sincere sense of what goes on in Luli's mind, given her experiences with a troubled family and redneck life. Having truly enjoyed the book, I was able to ignore the horrid reviews I'd read and decided I'd go for it anyway.

I'll say this: if it weren't for Chloe Moretz and Eddie Redmayne, this film would truly have been a flop. The script is a bit similar to the book, as pertaining to the volatility of the plot and random introduction of significant characters. But the script fails by giving most of these spontaneously interjected characters ridiculously short screen time (Blake Lively only had about MAYBE 15-20 min. tops?). Characters that had given reasonably substantial meaning to Luli's depicted life on the road, such as Clement, Beau, even Lloyd, had no more than 2-3 minutes screen time apiece, and many of them were given almost no depth whatsoever.

Chloe did a fantastic job of acting, as usual. Her portrayal of a charming, street-smart yet semi-innocent teenage girl is visually and emotionally gripping. Her camera action and dialogue alike are the culmination of what only the most talented, versatile young actress in Hollywood can produce. Blake Lively did a reasonably decent job, and actually showed a surprising amount of character depth. But it is Mr. Redmayne who steals the show.

Having never seen a film with Eddie Redmayne before, I can't say that I had really known what to expect from him. I had read from many sources that he had done a fabulous job in this film, with one such reviewer even claiming he deserved an Oscar nod. Having read the book and been well-acquainted with what to expect from the man playing Eddie Kreezer, the acquaintance-turned-murderer-turned-kidnapper, I was thoroughly and legitimately impressed with his depth. Eddie Redmayne brought a perfect combination of charm and emotional versatility, with the underlying degree of insanity which would turn extreme in the final act of the film. Redmayne's western accent was phenomenal, given his English citizenship, and his charming cowboy persona was spot-on. His mood in scenes would vary from condescending to charming to menacing and so on. I can honestly say that Eddie Redmayne literally made the show for me.

The film as a whole will probably not be up for any (significant) awards, especially given its indie status and almost obsolete promotion. I can't recommend that the average moviegoer check out this film, maybe not even the average Chloe Moretz fan. But if you're up for a road film centered on a young girl who learns to literally pull herself up by her bootstraps and survive countless things, from abandonment to rape to kidnapping and so on, it could be worth your time.
  • I advise that you watch this movie. Why? Because it is somewhat educational for teens. I am a teen I'm just saying. But I'm never going to run away! This movie made me cry, laugh and scared of the fact that this could actually happen and this is real stuff. Overall, this is an amazing movie and you couldn't have picked a better Luli, Chloë just played Luli's rule so greatly. I would of given this a ten if it hadn't had so much swearing. I loved how nicks character came in from the beginning so she knew who he was and trusted him. Throughout this movie there were many predictable moments and I think nick was quite a predictable character. Without giving any spoilers away, to make you want to watch this movie, or maybe you already have seen it and your Here to write a review.whatever you are doing you should definitely watch this movie if your a high school teacher I think they should show this at high schools as I said this is very educational, and because many students don't know what's wrong like Luli here, this would really help to talk through this, and point out what she did wrong. I just loved this movie!
  • The excellent Chloe Grace Moretz plays Luli, a Nebraska teen who decides to head to the bright lights of Las Vegas leaving behind her drunk of a father and a mother who has run off with another man, sadly things don't go to plan when she hitches a ride with Glenda (Blake Lively)

The story and performances are all very good, but yet again the stand out is Chloe, her performances in this and other films such as Kick Ass and Let Me In are astonishing for such a young actress (she's barely 15 now!)The movie is gritty as Luli is exposed to the dark under belly of life, drugs, drunks, low life's out to use (and abuse) her.Chloe is well supported by a good cast, Juliette Lewis, Blake Lively and a cameo from Alec Baldwin and I was astonished at the films poor rating on Rotten Tomatoes of 5% fresh, critics eh!?

A mature adult drama well worth a look.
  • I saw it as a movie that works with a young girl's expectations and anxiety, while she grows fast in a very complicated environment, passing through tough situations. She's in the middle of building a new identity, because of her age, after her family brakes up and abandons her in the middle of nowhere. She is in a completely fragile and vulnerable position, but her mind, heart and soul are trying to find a way for her life, for her personality and for her values. She brings memories and integrity from childhood that now have to face a grown up world, without any help. It's a movie about a story to be, that can't find a solution until it ends.

Characters and plot are searching, they are all in the road and this constant reference to the road makes the extreme beauty of this movie. Hick, or Luli, the girl is not just the main character but she is also the personification of this story to be, girl to be, to find her own answers and life while passing through all the changes of her age and without any base but two very problematic older friends she met. There is a total identity between the girl and the space she lives in an is trying to get out of. The light, the desert sceneries, they make Luli great, strong, and that's why she keeps going on. Because, after all, that's her world and her life, and we see all the action as if those were her own mind working, searching for answers and for a way out of the trouble.

She is completely alone and lost, but she wants to experience this new life, she desires this new world, so it's not only a drama, it's also an adventure. She loves the ones that cannot love her back the way she needs the most, neither the way she wants, but they love her two, while lost in their own worlds. They couldn't find anything better, while she just doesn't give up, and that is a conflict with bad consequences, as the sexual molest. Luli is growing up in a extreme situation and she is determined to patiently pass through everything she'll have to go through, to get over it.

The most simple things of life are not allowed here, there is no access to it. In a situation like that, what would anyone do? That's what this movie is about. Hick represents a distance from the possible world and from the real world. It's a situation her people are indeed struggling so desperately every day to keep their lives. But, somehow, in the edges of this forgotten world it's effectively reality who keeps them prisoners, so this story asks for reflection too.

It's not exactly an imaginary story, elements are very real and we can feel their impact in social differences or in the power relation between men and women, and in the uneven risks a young girl has to take to go on with her life. We can find all this elements in our daily lives. Luli feels deep love and friendship and learns its forms in this very disturbing world. She can't just say no and go back to anything before that. She has this chance repeatedly but she knows she has to move forward, no matter what, it's her only way out.

Chloë Grace Moretz, Eddie Redmayne and Blake Lively hold the story with an intense acting, strong rhythm and gradual tension, until the outcomes. I also liked very much the direction of Derick Martini and the approach of the story. It's not inappropriate at all, if we think that sexuality gains more and more importance every day in our times, in this culture where precocity and desire are so stimulated, and we have Internet. There's got to be a permanent discussion about it. Chloë is a very mature girl for her age, that can be seen in the movie, as an actress she entirely dominates her role and gives it strong traces and emotions. One more great job for her brilliant career. Eddie Redmayne and Blake Lively worked with her in perfect connection and that allowed this movie to be so expressive in a very single story.
  • melnelson22 December 2011
    I saw Hick at the Toronto film festival and I enjoyed the story very much. I really related to Chloe Moretz character Luli; I think a lot of women could relate to Luli's journey and how ones innocence could be taken away so quickly. I was simply glued to the screen in front of me. I really believed in Luli and I definitely became attached to her. Yes, Chloe Moretz performance was truly beyond her years, I must admit i was not acquainted with her previous movies and I thought she couldn't possibly be only 13.Two words can describe her performance .. Incredible and believable.

Add Chloe Moretz's confident portrayal of Luli to the scene stealing performance of Eddie Redmayne;I had no clue who this guy was but he blew my mind, literally, he just commanded attention in every scene and I loved the awkward chemistry between the two actors. I could understand why it could be unsettling to some, but to me it was awesome seeing them react to one another whether vocally or just by their body language and facial expressions...

What I took out of this film is that the story behind 'Hick' is a story that is seldomly told accurately in movies these days. A young girl trying to find her path in this world, going through obstacles, failing, learning, discovering that one always has choices in life. Sometimes you may not make the right ones but you learn.

In short, I loved the movie, I think people young and old should go see it. The debates that people are having after seeing this film are discussions that should be raised. I will be bringing friends to see this movie as soon as it is out.
  • What a pleasure it was to watch miss Chloë Grace Moretz in this gritty film. She brought to life the character of "Luli" in a very realistic and oh so typical teenager kind of way. I enjoyed the way that the story telling was accentuated through "Luli's" drawings, and the occasional spoken word. Derek Martini's work here was impressive, and I was comforted in the way the ugly scenes were foretold. Andrea Portes book was somewhat more graphic. All the cast worked very well together, and it was cool to see Chloë and Alec Baldwin together again. My attention was held from the first frame to the very last. I hope they bring this out on Bluray, so I can enjoy the tale for years to come.
  • Derick Martini, whose promise was richly manifested in Lymelife (2009), now gives us a film of poetic if unnerving beauty. Hick's plot is as old as literature—the exploits of a young hero who leaves familiar places to encounter and then overcome terrifying obstacles. It is also the story that lies at the heart of America and a coming-of-age parable suited to our times. The Wizard of Oz featured Dorothy; Hick features Luli McMullen, a 13-year old Nebraska girl who trades the boredom of her Midwestern town and tortured parents lost in alcohol for excitement along the road to Las Vegas, where she hopes to find a sugar-daddy. Based on the best-selling novel by Andrea Portes, who also wrote the film's script, Hick is a courageous statement about the power of will; a reminder that very young girls can be daring and sensual but also thoughtful and ultimately wise.

The film begins with a bang. At the party marking her thirteenth birthday, Luli receives a 45 Smith & Wesson as a present from her uncle. This makes for a jaw-dropping moment funny, deeply sad, and fraught with peril—three elements that distinguish the film as a whole. Luli uses the gun to channel Dirty Harry in front of a mirror. When she stands in her underwear, alone in her bedroom, pointing the weapon at her own image—"Do you feel lucky, punk; well, do ya?"—we suspect, Toto, this is uncharted territory. Luli is an about-to-blossom new icon—a girl to whom gender is incidental, a child-woman with a practical understanding of her body and a dogged determination to survive. She is as vulnerable as she is ready to kick butt.

Luli embodies the yearnings of youth and the heavy burdens of childhood. She is an artist who draws exquisite, longing images of her little brother who was born blue and refused to stay in the world. She has a sharp eye and a wicked tongue but the rumbling in her head is that of an old spirit. Luli has always had to take care of herself and, so far, she has had more losses than gains. She has every reason to be bitter but she chooses hope instead. She's a can-do girl for the New Millennium. We believe her when she declares, "I got something that's gonna throw me straight into the sun." Hick, the novel, was widely praised for its economy of style and the beauty of its language. Those virtues have been preserved in the film.

Along the yellow brick road that connects her past and her future, Luli—recreated by the talented Chlöe Grace Moretz—encounters Eddie, a broken spirit trapped in a broken body. As portrayed by Eddie Redmayne in an award-deserving performance, Eddie Kreezer is a young nobody with a limp, the result of his failed career as a rodeo artist. He appears innocuous but evolves into the epitome of obsession, aiming to use Luli as a toy, an object to suit his desires. On the road to Las Vegas Luli also meets Glenda—played with wit and intelligence by Blake Lively—a grifter who becomes the girl's guide and mentor. Like other fairy godmothers, Glenda is beautiful, impetuous, and manipulative. This one also snorts coke and cons men. She lures Luli into a series of deceptions that are as troubling as they are hilarious. In the end, Luli must escape the wiles of both Eddie the monster and Glenda the calculating witch to surface on the other side of the road where the world of promise and reconfigured goals is waiting. She faces violence and near death, as all heroes must, in her pursuit of a new freedom. What is wonderful about Luli is that she keeps moving forward no matter how broken her heart is. Towards the end of her adventure she considers going back home only to discover that home is no longer there—it has been taken over by Wal Mart.

This too is significant. Hick is Luli's story but also a recounting of the way in which the American landscape has been savagely changed by commercial interests. Like Luli, nature grapples with abuse. As she travels west, the young heroine celebrates the vistas before her and wryly laments the misuse of the land. But there is still poetry in that land. Director Martini deftly portrays the breathtaking amplitude of the American countryside with its luscious fields and endless skies. Ordinary diners and motels become in his hands places where magic can happen even to a runaway girl. Rarely has the forlorn beauty of neglected neon strips and lost main streets been captured so well. Trucks and cars, like those a failed cowboy might favor, have never looked more enticing. The heart-stilling terrain that serves as a backdrop for Hick is further brought to life by the music of Bob Dylan and a haunting, complementary score.

Hick joins a long string of American movies celebrating the power of resilience and optimism. From Star Wars (1977) to Good Will Hunting (1997) and the Harry Potter series (2001 – 2011), we rejoice in the triumph of spirit over matter, endurance over apathy, and good over evil. In most of those cases the heroes have been boys. Hick's tarnished champion is a girl and a very young girl at that. For that reason, despite its beauty and originality, Hick will make some uncomfortable. By now we are used to teens appearing on television, pretending to be femmes fatales but such images can be lightly dismissed as cartoons. Not so with Hick. Luli is a character to be taken seriously—one whose earnest and innocent sexuality is vivid. We have never met a 13-year old girl who sets out to write her own story, errors and twisted turns included. The question is whether we are ready for her and the world she will usher in. Time will tell.

Hick is a richly inspiring film; one that renews the conviction that in America all things are possible.
    I Am in love with this movie. I watched it not expecting o enjoy it what so ever. the story was good, though a bit creepy near the end. I loved Hick so much that I've seen it enough times to quote the whole movie. This is a movie you rather really hate or really like so if you haven't seen it yet I would strongly advise you to. The only questionable part is the rape scene in the end. Chloe Moretz pulls off another amazing role like always. She and Eddie change the mood from Dramatic to Funny to sad. I hope that they're are people that enjoy this movie as much as me. This will be one to show people 20 years from now when it becomes a classic. Hope you guys enjoy the film.
  • "You could shake your knuckles at the sky, you could get mad and say I don't got nothing', you could get stuck." Thirteen year old Luli (Moretz) comes from a very messed up family. She spends the night of her 13th birthday at a bar with her parents and when the dad is too drunk to drive home a big fight occurs. When her mother leaves with an insurance man and her dad gets mad and leaves she is left alone. Deciding she needs a fresh start she heads out on her own for Las Vegas. The best way to describe this movie really is to compare it to the movie "Jolene" that came out a few years ago. But I'm guessing most people didn't see it so I will do my best. It sounds strange to say this but this is a coming of age story about a 13 year old girl. Through the people she meets on her way she has new life experiences that involves things she shouldn't learn about for at least 5 more years. Moretz is amazing in this and I just wonder how long it will take until she wins an Oscar. The cast in this is also very good and the movie is very much worth watching all the way to the surprising and bittersweet ending. I liked it. Overall, a very good movie about a not so typical life of a 13 year old. I give it a B.
  • I saw HICK in Toronto and I was blown out of my seat, as was my best friend and my kid- sister. I don't know if you have to be under 25 to "get" this movie but we definitely felt like we had been on the craziest ride of our lives.

As for me, part of me felt like I kept getting slapped in the face, part of me felt like I kept falling in love with Eddie Redmayne, part of me felt like I was super-uncomfortable but was dying to see what was going to happen next and a really big part of me couldn't believe how good of an actress Chloe Moretz is, at only 13 or 14 or whatever.

I don't think I've ever seen a girl that age be that good, yes, TRUE GRIT included. Honest. Chloe Moretz in HICK makes that girl from TRUE GRIT look like a one-note wonder. Dare you to see it and disagree. Dare you.

The other thing I couldn't help but notice is that Blake Lively can actually act. And she's good. I know. I thought she sucked, too. But she's really, really good in this movie. (Even better than in THE TOWN.)

I only know Alec Baldwin from 30 Rock and my dad hating him but I thought he was excellent in the film. I've only see him do comedy so this was really different. Maybe he should do more dramatic roles because he was really interesting in this one.

I loved the costumes in the film, I just wanted to be a part of this world in a weird way. I don't want to spoil the end of the movie but, put it this way, we were all crying. It was embarrassing, really.

We were all crazy about the film and I even bought the book after, which I read super-fast. I, then, gave the book to my best friend and she read it and now she won't even give it back. I don't know. I think HICK is the only thing I've seen, or read, in a long time that seems to have anything to do with me. Everything else is all about vampires or comic-books or people sawing each other in half. I love this film because it was like nothing I'd ever seen before but I really felt like it was happening, thanks to the amazing acting of everyone but especially Chloe Moretz.

I just read that this film is coming out in theaters and I'm extremely excited because I can't wait to see it again. I recommend this film to anyone under 25 or to anyone that is a girl, or maybe a gay guy. I wouldn't recommend this film to anyone like my parents, though. I just don't think this is a film for older people. They'd probably just get mad or freaked out or something.
    From the beginning this movie is obviously and interestingly dark. The drunken worthless parents leave their thirteen year old daughter alone to fend for her self with barely a word before they are gone.

She hits the road to experience the world and to apparently make some sense of it all (life).

At first it was interesting. She by happenstance gets a ride from a young temperamental former now partially gimp rodeo rider cowboy that appears to be a bit of a hero.

Then she hooks up with a gal who appears to be absent of any morals at all, et al, to wind up (it's a small world) connected with the cowboy again. The cowboy disgruntled, urinates in the bosses drink. Okay, not exactly a tough guy hero.. He he was such a decent tough guy character as the film portrays why wouldn't he just say "Take this job and shove it!" and walk out the door? He appeared to be some sort of slave by choice. Kind of liked the "hero" guy, but obviously now he isn't, more of a scumbag. What is the point?

More misdirected non-sense and then we come to the scene where the girl almost gets molested (which happen to be by their own doing anyhow) in the pool hall bathroom. The "cowboy" really roughs the would be molester up by repeatedly slamming a toilet stall door on his head. Okay understood, he is a "molester" after all. But then in a fit of unbridled rage gets the strength of Hercules to rip a 50lbs+ sink off the wall and crashes it flat on the floor guys head. Hey it's just a movie, but I'd think you if actually did such a thing you'd actually crush someones head into a broken bloody pulp. What is the point?

I actually make this movie sound more interesting then it is. I completely gave up on this movie at about the halfway point and walked out. Boring, uncouth, distasteful, of a pointless and confused movie.

I read two other reviews here. One that even knocks others for making negative reviews (isn't that against the rules?). Unlike the movie's cowboy, this cowboy is tough enough to stand up against the likes of those and call this movie bad for what it is. To each his own too. You can sit there all day tell me the "emperor's new clothes" are wonderful and I'll factually tell you in your face he's plumb naked (and this movie is horrible) buddy!
  • nbery16 October 2014
    I like highbrow drama as much as the next person, but at the 1 hour mark, nothing much had still happened in this movie.

Blake Lively looked confused and not much vested in her role. It's likely she signed on to do this film with expectations, but once it was underway, she lost interest.

I love Chloe and probably only made it to 1 hour because she was interesting to watch, but again, nothing interesting happened.

Eddie Redmayne is a great actor but even he couldn't save this limp "story". Even after the "murder scene", I was bored and ended up turning it off.

What a waste of actors, money, and film.
  • I was lucky enough to catch this at Toronto, and I went in with high expectations given the cast. With regards to that every actor turns in an outstanding performance.

The one frustration is that since this is an ensemble/episodic movie some of the supporting roles are not as juicy as one might like, but that just serves to highlight the Moretz lead, which is impressive.

I really enjoyed the episodic narrative and they way the scenic rural landscape is a backdrop to a far from picture perfect life.

Finally, Ray McKinnon is in a scene that is really up there with the Hopper/Walken scene in True Romance for its combination of tension and humor. I am sure everyone will have a different favorite scene though - there are many to choose from.
  • eboogyman221 May 2013
    I know the reviews here are mixed but I'm the type of person who doesn't like many movies and can be a bit critical. I loved this movie though. Would I still love it if Chloe Grace was not in it? Probably not. The girl lights up the screen whenever she's on and she's an amazing actor for her age. Luli ( Chloe's character ) meets Glenda after running away, Glenda is a tragic and sad character who was probably like luli a decade earlier.

The story worked for me because I saw the two characters as possibly having similar fates, but will luli follow Glenda's path into tragedy or will she persevere. Now maybe those who gave it poor reviews didn't see the beauty in that aspect of the movie but it was hard for me to ignore. The acting is wonderful and I loved every scene.
  • Out of all the movies I've seen this far in life, this has been one of the toughest so far. The screenplay was amazing. The casting was perfect. The plot was entertaining. BUT; in the end of it all, it's really hard to watch a young 13 year old girl go through so much pain at just that young age. It's a tough watch because this young girl has an awful life and tries her hardest to get away from it all but on the way to get away she gets caught up in some real adult places and situations that are quite disturbing for such a young girl. Hick is a good film, that is, if you like indie/rebel movies. There's a lot of good things/qualities in this film but, again, it's tough to watch. So because of all that I gave this a 6 out of 10. Keep in mind, this is a very believable story so it may be hard for some people to watch. It is the worth the time to watch but bare in mind that it is rated R for a good reason.
  • But and there is a big BUT here, it is a far inferior story than Martini's "Lymelife", which I have also recently seen. Lymelife drove me to this movie with very high expectations. Maybe too high? It actually pained me to watch the flaws in Hick directly after viewing "Lymelife". I do not regret discovering this director's work and I do not regret seeing "Hick". I just felt like the (for lack of a better word) "scenarios" in "Hick" were wildly far- fetched. Like "Lymelife", Martini pulls magnificent performances from all of his cast. Juliette Lewis for instance is stuck playing a role that is so not even close to the reality of what a bad mother is but Martini plays to her strengths and. like the rest of the cast, creates more enigmatic characters, which feels like a director straining to "sell" characters that don't work. It's a noble effort, and it shockingly succeeds in most cases. Take Chloe Moretz as Luli. It's her story. The director makes it very clear that it is hers and only hers so you are forced to see other people how she sees them. Which is ambiguous. That's where it works best. Where it fails is when you understand all too clearly who these people are supposed to be as written. Simply, they are poorly written and when push comes to shove, there's only so much a director, cinematographer and great soundtrack can do to save the day. Again, Hick is not without merits, and it is strikingly emotional and beautifully done at times. Especially the work of Eddie and Luli and Glenda. Martini has a gift with actors, but he has to recognize that without the proper writing, he cannot win. I was not shocked to see that this was not his material, but that doesn't get him a "pass". As shown in "Lymelife", he is a writer comparable to a young Kenneth Lonergan and to me that makes the end result of this movie even more unacceptable. I except much better.
  • I first have to say that I have no problems with the performances; everyone did a great job in that department. Throughout the film Luli is drawing in a sketch book as she narrates and I really liked the simplicity of the drawings. No, what let it down (IMO) was a poorly put together script. They say it's a bad idea to let the writer of a novel attempt the screenplay and I suspect this is a case in point. It probably works very well as a book, but it really didn't work on the screen in this form. I like the actors fine but I found little to like in the characters. Our main focus, Luli, has very few redeeming features; she was a victim of circumstance all the way through and I found it quite frustrating to watch I'm afraid. Sadly not one I can recommend.

SteelMonster's verdict: NOT RECOMMENDED

My score: 4.9/10

You can find an expanded version of this review on my blog: Thoughts of a SteelMonster.
  • 'Hick' had a lot going for it but the superb acting by the entire cast is unquestionably the major selling point that made 'Hick' one of the best movies so far of 2012.

Newcomer (at least for me) Eddie Redmayne was tremendous as a believable low-life with no sense of direction. He has future star written all over him. Blake Lively played a role she's done before (The Town) and did it with perfection. The best performance of 'Hick', however, just happened to be Chloë Grace Moretz. She is quickly turning into my favorite actress in Hollywood at the ripe age of 15. She kicked ass in 'Kick-Ass' and was an adorable cutie in 'Hugo' but she gives her best performance to date by becoming a character reminiscent to Jodie Foster in 'Taxi Driver.' It is Oscar worthy without a doubt.

Critics have said that nothing can be learned by watching 'Hick' but that wasn't the case for me. I learned that your life can to to s*** with the blink of an eye, even for a teenager. You will seem defeated with hopelessness mixed in. It can be a daunting scenario to get out of but it's possible to come out better than before the downward spiral even started. Give 'Hick' a chance. You may not like the story progression but there's no way anyone coming out of this movie can say that the acting was mediocre or worse. The acting alone makes 'Hick' a must watch.
  • Hick was full of actors I tend to like, and that's why Iwanted to see it as well. And sure enough I enjoyed very much the acting in this film, which is the main asset of this film.

13 year old Luli is growing up in trashy home without the stability which is recommended a young child. Her birthday present on her 13th birthday, which is held in a bar, is a gun. Luli is sick and tired of her mother's partner changing, and wants to go off to L.A. to find a more prosperous life. She starts off hiking, and soon gets picked up by a seemingly nice young man.

Hick is a road-movie and a coming of age story which offers a nice ride. I tend to like stories which doesn't reveal too much of bad happenings, and I give kudos to the filmmaker here for letting us as viewers do some of the imaginative work. This might though be the reason for others not to like this movie as much as others.

The setting is great, the believability the same, and obviously the director has a great hand with the actors as well. Some would want more from a film like this. I disagree. The acting is flawless by the entire cast, and this is why this will be so recommended by me. A nice story about dreary lives, which still is well worth watching as it delivers hope for a better tomorrow.
  • Chloe Grace Moretz is Luli, a thirteen year old girl who is at a bar with her mother for her birthday. One of the presents is a real live gun. The drunken patrons seem amused and we are quickly aware of an atmosphere filled with trailer trash.

The next morning, Luli hears a noise downstairs and sees a stranger sitting at the kitchen table. She points the useful pistol gift at the guy who explains that the door was open, so he just let himself in. Mom walks in and seems to know the intruder and they up and leave together in his Cadillac convertible. Luli's dad asks his daughter where her mother is, and she tells him that she took off with a man in a big car. Her father sighs, and now he also leaves.

Luli is alone in the house watching television and notices an ad promoting the qualities of Las Vegas. She grabs a few things and walks along a road and gets picked up by a guy named Ed in a pick up truck wearing a cowboy hat. They travel for a while, until an argument results in Luli getting out and waking to a field for a nap. When she awakens, a woman is relieving herself at the side of the road. Glenda picks her up and they end up robbing a store.

The pair wind up Glenda's friends house and by strange coincidence, Ed is there, serving drinks. Luli goes with him to a pool hall where a man assaults her in the ladies room; not to worry, Ed to the rescue. Romeo and Juliet; or better yet, Bonnie and Clyde stop at a motel and argue. Ed chases Luli into a field and afterwords, she is tied to a bed while being told that they were meant to be together. The owner of the cabin (Alec Baldwin) shows up and tells Ed he has to leave soon.

Glenda reappears and has a confrontation with Ed concerning Luli. There is no happily ever after in Hick, which takes an interesting idea but meanders along with a bunch of low lifes with no clear direction. Chloe Grace Moretz is terrific, as she narrates throughout, much like Sissy Spacek in Badlands. The soundtrack is also good, featuring music from Bob Dylan and Patsy Cline.

I have great expectations in the future for Miss Moretz, but here her talent is wasted.
  • Terrific on so many levels. Performances are all top-notch. Leads as well as cameos. Beautiful storytelling mixing humor and anxious fear and suspense. Neither candy-coated or painted black this tale of a young girl learning about the world is a certified future classic. We are right with Luli as she struggles to discern between the good and bad in people, And we are as unsure of Eddie and others that she encounters, as she is. People betray each other and themselves. And some are better than we might have thought. Derek Martini makes a huge jump with this film, where the land itself speaks and a field of crops can make your skin crawl.
  • I had relatively low expectations for this film - the negative reviews were not promising, but it features two well known actors whose other movies I liked, so I decided to give it a shot. After seeing this film, I would rate it somewhere between 6 and 7.

The strongest feature of this film is the acting. The actors are fantastic - Chloe Grace Moretz plays a sassy, irritating, ignorant little hillbilly girl but manages to balance it off with cuteness and naivety. Most actresses would easily take it too far and just come off as plain annoying, but Chloe at such a young age knew just how much she could get away with such behavior before switching back to remind you that she is just a vulnerable girl. Great job.

Eddie Redmayne perfectly pulled off a southern accent and the mannerisms of a redneck, which is a complete contrast to his British background and Eton school upbringing. But that's not all: despite playing a role where he is supposed to be a creepy villain, he injects a good dose of quirky vulnerability to it, making you sympathise with his character. I was never so undecided about a fictional character before, as I did not know whether to feel sorry for him or despise him. His face and voice displayed so much raw emotion that you simply cannot hate his character. This wasn't an easy task - his character Eddie was a one dimensional villain in the book, and Redmayne's performance gave the movie an advantage over the book in my opinion. Therefore, I would recommend everyone to watch the film solely for his acting.

Now the downside to this movie was the story, which had so much potential. The dialogue and the huge number of coincidences make it seem like the script was based of a fan-fiction story and it doesn't get very exciting. The climax of the tale was dampened with a rushed scenario that did not leave an impact when it could have. More things could have happened which would make this film richer but the potential was unfortunately never exploited.

I notice that most people complained about the sexual undertones of the story and the fact that such a young actress plays a role where she is a target to predators. I do not understand such complaints, because sexually exploited prepubescent girls is a very real problem in every country which needs to be addressed instead of being ignored in the media. If anything, every teenage girl should see this film to reminded of what dangers await for them out there, especially since many girls romanticize the notion of running away from home and hold idealistic views of falling in love with a 'bad boy'.

I personally think this film is better than what the critics say about it. I'd give it a 6.5 if I could, but I rounded it up to a generous 7/10.
  • Modern Wizard of Oz meets Taxi Driver, with less crutch of violence needed to deliver a fearless series of bracing and relentless turns. Martini's unsparing obsession with the art of act, delivered in the raw to near extemporaneous impact, is a must see for aficionados and students of same. Ace cinematography frames perspicacious performances punctuated by: a darkly innocent Chloë Grace, matured beyond but never is she less than Kick Ass; Blake the artist we all hoped to see behind the mask of disarming and prior less tested beauty; all topped off with Eddie's gripping portrayal of … well, 'Eddie' which matches if not exceeds the best of early, raw de Niro at his most arresting. If you liked Eddie on Tony taking Broadway, in his evanescent while ageless week with Marilyn or acclaimed as Richard on stage in London, drop that II'nd in favour of Dante's 9th with a country drawl and delight in the descent. Bob Dylan's music lays the stage and marks tempo throughout this pull no punches screenplay based on Portes' acclaimed novel. Bother to see it- a must for their fans and perhaps most enduringly, for those who love the pure art of film or any student of same- be it in direction, edit or act. A destined classic, and brave for its time.
  • Such a good and entertaining drama, is Hick, but of course what makes it entertaining is great little actress, Chloe Moretz, who takes on a braver, role, before that of something, like The Equalizer. She's sick of her white trash existence. At it's start, again, we see a kind of stereotypical type to Moretz's role, as a friendless schoolkid who's just turned lucky thirteen, where her Mum (Lewis) splits, seeing a much better offer with a much older ordinary looking guy, as she's left with good for nothing father, so she splits, meeting a few different characters, on her travels, and with her sexual prowness, raises a few eye lids. Hick is a movie adventure as to see what path, Moretz's life will take. She gets in a little deep, with a well meaning, but older unhinged cowboy, (Redmayne) excellent like Moretz, who wants her sexually, and Moretz will get a few meters running here. A fattened up Baldwin, a lodge owner, plays a real ambiguous and dark character, really hard to make sense of, who feels no remorse, in killing his own chickens, for profit. A cute little time passing drama, with great/strong performances, Hick is. It has a couple of moments that shock, but aren't we getting tired of wannabe tough asses, giving that Dirty Harry 44 magnum speech.
  • Rickting16 November 2014
    In this road movie, Chloe Grace Moretz plays a teenager running away from her rough home life believing she's destined for a better life. She goes on the road encountering a bunch of horrible characters and various unpleasant things happen. That's sort of it. Hick is a movie few have seen and one which critics seem to loath. The 5% rating on Rotten Tomatoes is a little unfair, but this isn't a great movie. It's a watchable one however, and due to the quality of the acting it took me half the movie to realize it was genuinely pretty poor. Without the acting and direction this would be a cast iron flop. In her most underrated performance, Chloe Grace Moretz is fantastic as the main character, and the rest of the cast are surprisingly good as well. It's also a talented director, as the cinematography and direction is unexpectedly skilled. Derick Martini seems to be an independent director who hasn't got lucky. Unfortunately, he, Chloe Grace Moretz,, Eddie Redmayne and all the others are stuck with a script which doesn't deserve any of them.

Hick is a totally pointless film if there ever was one. Nothing much happens and the objective to get to Las Vegas is forgotten very quickly. Random unpleasant events happen, but there's no message or meaning to it at all. It's mildly well done, but it's unpleasant without purpose. It at times feels like a collage of road movie conventions rendered in the ugliest way imaginable. The script, although it has some inspired lines, is pretty terrible. As there's no real point the film feels slight and forgettable as a result, and there will be few who even know it exists. There is a good scene where the main character talks about her dead brother which is surprisingly moving. The acting is fine all around, and the film proves child actors don't (always) deserve the hate. However, it just doesn't add up to anything or go anywhere and this road movie is like a broken down bus on the highway that isn't going anywhere. By the end, Moretz's protagonist hasn't learned anything. And neither have we.