• For the first time in his career Mark the Undertaker Calaway is allowing his journey as the deadman to be filmed. Which can only mean that the Taker will truly be resting in peace as Mark has never broken kayfabe. Kayfabe for those who dont know is the reality world of wrestling. As a 21 year fan it's sad to see the end of this man. You see the pain and sadness in Mark's face as he contemplates about being a joke. He says what happened and I agree. I had not seen Taker in so many years and I was sad to see what had happened to him. He sacrificed himself to entertain all of us and its clearly written all over him. And yet he still thinks about going on. There will never be another man like this in the WWE.
    Just had to get in this Aronofsky/Rourke reference in here. "Undertaker: The Last Ride: First Look" is a documentary short film that runs minimally over 13 minutes (not counting credits) and was released this year, so it is still a pretty new and fresh watch. This came out over half a year ago and was basically an appetizer for a six-part miniseries dealing with Mark Calaway. Now most people probably have no clue who that is, but when I say "The Undertaker", then it sounds much more familiar. I am somebody who really does not have a lot of interest in wrestling and somebody who really does not know about this subject, but even I have heard his name and I have also come across some of the other people from this one over the years. Steve Austin is just one example, another would be Batista/Bautista, who is having probably the most successful accting career from all wrestlers as he has been in recent Blade Runner and James Bond films. But of course, in this one here they are supporting players at best. It is all about the Undertaker. We see brief intervie snippets with him, but those do not really tell too much. The answers seem a bit generic with him telling us how much all this wrestling circus means to him still after all these years and always has and also how he is trying so hard to stay relevant and not become a parody of himself. Lots of pathos. What is maybe more interesting is several sequences of old footage, most of it from the 1990s. So yeah, the man is in his mid50s now, which is still fairly young looking at how long he has been a part of all this. By now, it should be really clear to everybody that wrestling is not sport, but show and I must admit I did not know in my younger years either. Anyway, as for this specific release here, I must unfortunately say that it did not get me particularly curious about the miniseries it was supposed to promote. Pity. The weakest moment was maybe when this one woman is interviewed and she talks about the protagonist's injuries and operations and recovery. Again 100% pathos. I wish this could have been a bit more substantial and informative. Of course, emotions are crucial too, especially for documentaries, but you cannot really use them as a sole foundation. This is why I give this short film a thumbs-down. Want to emphasize again that I am only talking about this preview here, not about the show itself. Hopefully that one is better. The ratings for both seem really high though, for this one here definitely too high. My suggestion is you skip the watch and go for something else instead unless you are already a big wrestling fan as it won#t turn you into one if you are not. Maybe watch the Aronofsky film instead. Can never really go wrong with that one.