User Reviews (3,295)

• GuanXing3 October 2018
    I don't know what's going on with all the negative reviews. People are really hard to please! I went to see that movie without any real expectations and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    • Tom Hardy does a fantastic job
    • Venom is an interesting and fun character
    • The plot is fairly classic for this type of movie; nothing good or bad about it
    • The special effects are great - I loved the transformation scenes.
    Overall, I recommend it if you like the genre, want to have a good time with a dose of laughters and aren't overly hard to please.
  • We just came out of the theatre and I can honestly say. I liked it! It was funny and it paid great homage to the Todd McFarlane bombastic Venom era of the late 90's. It truly baffles me that Sony would not take enough risks to release the film with an R rating. I wonder how much of this film was left on the cutting floor!?! Tom Hardy's performance is also on point and...just go see it.
  • declan-989153 October 2018
    First of all Iv just watched the movie a couple of hours ago and Iv just been reading a few reviews and I must have been watching a different movie to them cause I absolulty loved Venom!

I love the relationship between Eddie and Venom, they proper cracked me up with some of the things they said and the whole room was laughing at loads of moments throughout the movie.

Coming out of this movie makes me want to have a symbiote latch onto me if it's anything like the film. I loved the movie from end to finish, it was a hilarious, fun filled action ride!

My only critic is I would have liked the finale to go on for a little longer but other than that I thought it was brilliant, I deffo reccomend everyone go see it.

DONT Listen to other people's reviews, go watch it for yourself then decide if u liked it or not, I loved it!
    It's not your typical Marvel movie, but I loved it! I hope they go for an R rating on the second movie though.
  • Don't listen to the critics whom are desperately trying to remain relevant in a time where the opinion of the audience truly matters.

The movie is geniunely good. What it isn't is fantastic however.

-buildup. The intro of the movie was fine. Nothing spectacular but certainly progressed the story into the right direction. Though it did linger on for a tad bit too long.

-The plot while amusing, is definitely lacking and drops the ball at least at a certain point, which i cant really dive into here due to spoilers. This certainly is the biggest problem with the movie.

-CGI. Not great but certainly far from bad!

-Venom. The symbiote is awesome and i loved the bonding with Tom Hardy's character which truly moved the movie forward. Definitely the strongest point within the movie and was eager for more!

-Overall. Ignore the damn paid critics. They are a dying breed and shouldve been put out of their misery years ago. This movie is entertaining. While i was dissapointed with the lack of a true dark tone, it wasnt all pure comedy either. it was a decent balance.

Check this movie out for yourself and vote accordingly. This movie deserves that at the least.

• Had a test screening tonight in cinema I work at, and couldn't wait to watch my all-time favorite Marvel (anti) hero on big screen. Tom Hardy is great as always, that guy really can act. Can't think of anyone else who would be a better choice for the role but him. Introduction was really long, but I was not bored for a second. When Venom comes in his true form - the party starts! Wish few action scenes were less like Michael Bay's style (hardly see anything) but the inner child in me was really happy for Venom's maniacal kicking and punching around. Venom's character is really well made visually - his walking, jumping and smashing are just like in the comic books - thumbs up for that!

Hope they will release R rated version on BluRay so we can see more of Venom's craziness. Tom Hardy allegedly said best parts are cut out to make the movie more age appropriate, and I think that's a shame. Anyway, I will watch this movie once more in cinema, and buy it on BluRay. After all, it's Venom!

Go and see it on big screen - hope you won't be disappointed!

Oh, and there are TWO mid-credit scenes - one we all are waiting for and another one that...just go and see it for yourself!
  • Just got back and to be honest I thought because of the critics that the movie would be a mess, but I reallyyyy enjoyed it!! Tom hardy did a great job as always and Venoms character was amazing! Loved the jokes and the relation between those 2. I think everyone should go see this movie with an open mind and not thinking about the bad critics, people always just want to complain about everything, specially when it's hyped. Conclusion: GREAT MOVIE, GREAT ACTING, IGNORE THE CRITICS
    I don't really get critics; the movie is just fine.

Yes, it should've been Rated R!

Yes, some of the dialogue/story is clunky and there's some plot holes and missing info.

Also, not crazy about "Anne", and the way the female characters are written in general.

The CGI and action do have their lows that'll make your head spin, but Venom looks like Venom and in a great way.

But, Tom Hardy acts his little heart out ( and so does Riz Ahmed) and the movie, while not perfect, is fun.

P.s. The mid credit scene gives one hope!
  • Just to start I want to say my favourite super hero/ villain is venom so I may seem a bit biased but I tried to keep a level head going in and not let the fanboy out.

My honest feelings were that the film is exactly what it needed to be. Thank god they didn't pull and amazing Spider-Man 2 and tried to set up a wider universe. Yes there is space too but I believe this film can stand as a stand alone movie.

The opening to the point of Eddies first contact to me was really poor in the acting department and the story seemed very messy here however as soon as that symbiote hits it's full steam ahead!

Tom hardy has always been an actor that I can really rely on in movies and after seeing legend, (an excellent film which I highly recommend) I had no doubt about his ability to form the two identities of Eddie and venom.

The romance sub plot surprised me and I thought it was handled in a way rarely seen in superhero movies so well done on that.

A big point of content was the jokes. Yes the "turd in the wind" line is a bit cringy but I think a huge amount of the jokes do hit home. For people who have seen the film a certain joke regarding an elevator that was short and sweet and had me genuinely laughing at it.

Time to talk about venom himself! CGI on him is how I wanted venom to look in a live action version, that slimy, toothy, grinning look that looks like something straight from the comics.

This film will definitely not be for those that aren't really into comics and I think this film may hit a special place in some fans hearts like me. At the end of the day I say go see the movie and see if you feel the same way.

Something that I found really helped me was I went in not thinking of the MCU at large and Spider-Man at all and only when I was 1 hour in did I think "I haven't thought about Spider-Man once!"

To me venom is a surprisingly good film with some great action, visuals and comedy that occasionally stumbles, especially the clunky opening 30 minutes
  • This is probably the most underrated film I have ever seen. The CGI, graphics everything was perfect, except the final fight's ending. Still its a great story.

Stand ovation to TOM HARDY. He wraps up into perfection. Its a must watch movie.
  • kelly96610 February 2019
    Knew nothing about this film but thoroughly enjoyed it tom hardy is awesome I do hope there will be more in the franchise
  • Avayte from - venom, in my opinion, failed. I wanted to sneeze at the opinion of critics who were apparently expecting a marvel Studios level film from Sony. After the flow of mixed reviews-went with the most low expectations, with a good mood and in good company. Did it affect my final attitude to the film? I don't know. But let us, as usual, on the specifics.

"Venom" -this is a standard simple original film, which is especially the stars from the sky is not enough, but at the same time did not cause any obvious negative.

I think the most correct step Sony not to be wise and show everything from the beginning, so as not to produce unnecessary questions and misunderstanding of the viewer. Show the history of character formation and its further development.

The narrative can be clearly divided into three classic acts - the tie, the climax, the denouement. Venom simple as a penny - no problems, no unexpected plot twists that have, frankly, a bit fed up in kynoselen Marvel movies.

The plot is definitely built around the character Tom hardy. Once again, I note that he is an amazing actor. Inviting him was a great decision. If he had not played a major role - perhaps someone else could and dragged. Hardy plays actually canonical Eddie Brock-downright really "anti-hero". Hardy is a lot, very much, he pulls the blanket over himself - his screen takes 90% of the time, and that's right for an original movie. Tom was able to make this character and the right way to submit it, so it just crashed into the viewer's memory.

The rest of the cast also did not disappoint. For example, Reese Ahmed gave a good antagonist - Carlton Drake and liked Michelle Williams, who played Ann Weying.

But back to hardy's character. Brock's relationship with the venom symbiote is what the film is built on. The rate at which the creators have put everything. And she played, that's for sure. Dive replicas and exchange of views made funny, and sometimes even witty. I liked this format of "communication" very much. Very cool showed that Eddie and the symbiote are learning from each other, and in the final part of the movie act really as a single unit.

There are, of course, have movie and some cons. In the first place, it's not a very elaborate scenario. There are some logical inconsistencies, and they are striking, there are small sagging scenes and tedious, which could be abandoned. Also, not everywhere like the graphics - sometimes looked frankly cartoon, but we must pay tribute - really improved visual order of magnitude since the trailers and promotions.

About the downgrade something to inflate do not see the point. Personally to me it didn't spoil viewing in General in any way. Moreover, I think that the film only benefited from this. You want blood, Guro and dismemberment-go to slasher. Well, the fact that the symbiote was supposed to do in terms of violence - he did, it was beaten and the coveted "18+".

Was pleasantly surprised to see references to a sort of Canon of the setting Simbiotel. And, of course, the traditional cameo of Stan Lee, which now even our audience has learned to react correctly.

Scene after the credits. The first is just gorgeous, one of the best post-credits scenes I've seen, including all past Marvel and DC movies. The scene gives us an unambiguous reserve and a hint of a sequel.

In General, Sony-well done. If this is the start of your own movie universe, it is very sound and correct. I would like to see further projects. I think the Studio deserved this chance.

Well, in conclusion, I would like to fix this: the opinion of critics-not always fair, downgrade-not always in the red. So, as the saying goes,"go and see."
  • Johannakivinen24 February 2019
    Tom Hardy is just great in this movie. Movie is really entertaining. Much better than I expected and I'm glad that I watched it.
  • Don't listen to the critics they don't know what they are talking about this film was great. Had a fantastic time watching this film lots of action and funny moments. Tom Hardy is perfect as Eddie Brock he did an absolutely great job. Would recommend this film to many people.
  • phansoki3 October 2018
    Really loved it!!!! Ignore the critics and go and see it as soon as possible!!!!
  • Venom isn't a Marvel movie, for that it succeeds far more than if it had been. If you're getting tired of the Marvel formula then Venom is going to be a breath of fresh symbiotic air.

Venom occupies it's own universe, it's dark, gritty and more grown up compared to its counterparts. The existence of Eddie's personal life feels real, his struggles are far more relatable than any other character portrayed in a comic book movie so far. He is an everyday guy who screws up and because of that his need to redeem himself gets him attached to a symbiote. After that hes just trying to stay alive until the very end when the truth of his circumstance means he is the only one who can prevent humanities destruction. The movie didnt lead up to this, it wasnt even known what was to come until the last 20 minutes of the movie.

This is a marriage of two separate movies and it's done very well. You remove Venom and the movie feels like it could stand on it's own with a few key changes. The Venom portion hits all the notes required for a superhero movie.

You actually care about Eddy and it's not because they give some sappy back story about loss or self reflection. You care because you can actually relate with what happens to him and how you may have reacted in the same scenario. He wasnt rich, a god or born with powers, didnt live with super advanced technology or volunteer for an experiment. Hes just a guy with a 9-5 in a regular relationship and living in the same world where shake downs and homelessness exist.

The critics wanted a different movie then what they got. They wanted a basic Marvel super hero movie without realizing one of the better super hero movies as of late (Logan) didnt follow that formula either.

Venom is the movie that stands on its own by creating a story with elements suited to the character, not checkboxes like others. Its entertaining and feels like it could have lasted longer. I'd rather feel left wanting then feeling like the movie is now requiring me to continue watching it because it's been dragged out too long.

I'd rather watch another Venom movie then any other marvel universe sequel at this point.
  • I was impressed by the trailer but the movie was even better. It was humorous, Tom Hardy was an amazing choice for this role. The relationship and interactions between Eddie and Venom made the whole theatre laugh. Don't listen to the negative critics and watch it yourself!
  • Really I'm not a big fan of superhero's movie, but this one is pretty good. Tom make the movie even better, he did a great job. Well done Tom 👏🏻
  • Enjoyed venom! Don't believe the bad reviews, Tom Hardy is fab as Eddie Brock and the relationship between him and venom is great , I found myself really liking venoms character as well ( apart from the head biting) All in all a fun film worth a watch
  • koenhouben3 October 2018
    Sequel
    Great movie! Not overdone. Actors are great. This is Venom like i imagined him to be: consuming:) Can't wait for Carnage!
  • bzoom09 October 2018
    I honestly don't get the critics, the score does not coincide with the experience that Venom offers us. Is it a strategy to draw more attention to it? Who knows! But I am for sure that's the truth... I've seen worse movies who had at least 50 points from them. Still, it's not the best Marvel movie out there, with Black Panther being the best and probably the greatest surprise that MCU has ever given to us, but it was enjoyable and I was really impressed with the portrayal of Venom, considering the story in the comic books. SPOILER ALERT: there's a lot of schizophrenia in this one :))
    Wow...Something different...Something ACTUALLY different. No, Venom is no masterpiece. It's not perfect. It's not quite as great as I hoped it would be, but...It's ACTUALLY something different. And in an age where Marvel and DC give us the same comic book movie 500 times a year, that's incredibly high praise. Let me clarify; despite what you've been told, Venom is not a superhero movie. Venom is, at its heart, a horror comedy monster flick. It has much more in common in its characters, story, tone, comedy and action sequences with An American Werewolf in London or Evil Dead than, say, The Avengers or The Dark Knight. That's a wildly inventive and different take on the genre and enough to give it some much needed, genuine diversity.

As I said, the film definitely has its problems. Riz Ahmed's Carlton Drake is a terrible villain, one of the worst in recent comic book movie history. I'd like to say that he's better than most of the easily disposable MCU villains, but even compared to them, he's still low tier. Drake is your typical "evil corporate bad guy", but Ahmed is neither charismatic, over-the-top or intimidating enough to make it really work. The real shame is that the movie easily could have made him work as a perfect adversary for Hardy's Brock; a legally invulnerable, corrupt millionaire going up against an unlucky, lower class reporter with a chip on his shoulder. However, this dynamic is never really explored as much as it should be and, by the end of the day, his arc just ends in yet another case of 2 black CGI monsters smashing into each other.

The neutered PG-13 rating also hurts the film significantly. To its credit, the film is surprisingly violent (To the point where my theater occasionally gasped) and there are moments of genuine suspense and terror here. However, at the end of the day, this is still the kind of movie where someone can get sliced in half with a blade arm and not leave a drop of blood. The edits are clear and blatant and I couldn't help but occasionally cringe at the obvious censor job Sony did to get the film at a more marketable PG-13. Here's hoping for an R-rated Director's Cut.

I must say, Tom Hardy is perfect, as both Eddie Brock and Venom. As Eddie Brock, he's likable, goofy, charmingly dorky and incredibly sympathetic. As Venom, he's darkly hilarious, witty and commands an incredible screen presence. And his chemistry with Michelle Williams' Anne Weying (As both Venom and Eddie Brock) is off the charts. As somebody who frequently finds love stories in comic book films to be tepid and half hearted, this may be my favorite romance in a comic book film. It has its frequent adorable and sweet moments, but it isn't afraid to cover the more painful and stressful parts of their relationship either. It felt way more genuine to me than any other love story I've seen in a superhero movie. There's a scene in the 3rd act of the film involving Eddie, Michelle and the symbiote that is simultaneously sweepingly romantic, absolutely hilarious and incredibly bizarre. Without spoiling it, all I can say is that whether you love it or hate it, you won't forget that moment any time soon.

Michelle Williams is fantastic in her own right too. She does an excellent job portraying Weying's spunk, confidence and intelligence and Williams brings both charisma and emotional vulnerability to the role. Weying herself is a surprisingly strong character as well; she's arguably even more proactive than Eddie is and I loved watching her arc from distant and condescending to more empathetic and compassionate. I've missed the days when love interests in comic book movies had genuine character arcs, so Williams' Weying was another breath of fresh air in a comic book movie already full of them.

The comedy is definitely the highlight. This is by far the funniest comic book film I've seen to date, it puts both Deadpool movies to shame. It's very reminiscent of a John Landis or Sam Raimi horror comedy from the 80s. Complete insanity in the best way. There's a particular scene in a restaurant that had me laughing so hard my lungs hurt.

As for the story, again, it's not particularly deep, but its clever in its own way, and has its admitted emotional moments regarding Anne and Eddie's relationship. The film works as a very interesting anti-Spider-Man movie; Eddie's irresponsibility is as essential to the character as Peter's responsibility and the movie tells a very compelling journey of a deeply self absorbed man having to learn to finally put the people around him above his own self interests when the chips are down. Even Eddie's relationship with his suit serves as a dark mirror to Spider-Man; in Homecoming, Peter has to learn that he doesn't need the suit to be a hero. In Venom, Eddie needs the friendship of his own suit to save the day.

Venom is not the best comic book movie ever. It's not quite as great as I had hoped. But it's the farthest thing from bad. It has more heart and brains than critics are giving it credit for and it's a desperately needed original take on a genre that's admittedly been suffering from repetition, exhaustion and over-saturation. It's definitely more interesting, bold and rewatchable than 80% of the easily disposable and forgettable MCU films. It'll probably be more interesting, bold and rewatchable than any of the DCEU films post-Justice League (Including Justice League), which may as well be MCU-lite. I think I'm gonna go watch it again.

(Also, very minor point, but that Eminem song was awful. It felt like a Vanilla Ice or MC Hammer song, only unironic and played completely straight. It was actually lowkey embarrassing to listen to.)
    This movie is good,i like it a lot actually. A unique combination of Horror,Action and Sci-Fi Movie (Yes,A little Horror Touching..Something you rarely seen at Marvel Comic Based Movie.). It was fun, thrilling, and enjoyable movie. But yep,There's some weakness at the plot. There's no further explanation for what happen after to the rest of simbiotes after the lab tragedy, And it didn't explore Riot clearly. But Overall,Its A good one movie.👏
  • knightofassassin3 October 2018
    I went to watch this movie on its first day available where I live, expecting something that I would rate somewhere between 6 and 7. But it went over that and here I am giving it a 9 (more like 8.5 but I rounded it up because it deserves it)

While the story itself was not outstanding, the execution was fun and kept me engaged, and that is for me the most important aspect in a movie. Character relationships worked, and the jokes were well placed.

Oh, and that kiss!! Omg that kiss! I loved it.

The only thing that ever bothered me was that the image quality felt outdated, but I got used to it after 15 minutes in. Then there were the symbiotes, which didn't really blend well with their surroundings.

All in all, this is one of my favorite movies of the year. It managed to be gritty when it needed to, and funny when it meant relief. Also, the action sequences were, in a good way, over the top fun.

I loved it.
  • Idk about you but I am not a big super hero/villain fan but because my love ones are Marvel/DC and Tom Hardy fans, I went ahead to watch it with them. Boy I enjoyed every second of this film. Tom Hardy is not only funny but I can relate to him and his symbiote (not his parasite, never call him that) Venom! I love them both. Tom always plays serious and intimidating characters but in this movie, he is funny as hell especially his interactions with Venom. Now I am a certified Tom Hardy fan. There is no actor out there who can better portray this role. He was born for this role. The movie was a joy to watch, I got sad it finished too soon for me. I tend to ignore critics' reviews coz MY review matters most to me. I definitely will get the digital copy of this movie so I can watch it over and over whenever and wherever I want to watch. So for the ones who haven't watched it yet, better watch it now!