User Reviews (544)

• kell-bailey4 September 2011
    A great film
    Just saw a sneak peek of Warrior. All I can saw is WOW! Great film. Great performances. The characters are deep and believable and the story will probably have you leaving the theater in tears.

The fight scenes were done really well. I've been cage side at hundreds of MMA fights as a photographer and believe me when I say this is some of the most realistically portrayed MMA action I've seen to date on film.

Tom Hardy, Joel Edgerton, Jennifer Morrison and Nick Nolte all give good performances and I think Nick Nolte had a couple of moments in the film that should be considered Oscar worthy.

I know a lot of people won't agree with me on this and I can understand, but Warrior has bumped Rocky out of my top 5 favorite movies of all time. IMHO (which some of you will consider worthless) I think it's that good.
  • FloppyMeatball27 August 2011
    Not just for fight fans...
    My girlfriend took me to an advance screening of Warrior because I'm an MMA enthusiast. She told me she did not expect much. She ended up leaving the theater in tears.

The fighting in the movie is almost an after thought. What the movie is really about is a broken family trying to get on with their lives. You have a recently sober father trying to earn the forgiveness of his sons for destroying his family years earlier, one son trying to provide for his wife and children, and the other son trying to earn money for the family of his friend and fellow Marine who died overseas. All of it comes together seamlessly and provides for a truly gripping movie.

It's emotional without being sappy. It's funny without being goofy. It's inspirational without going over the top. It's hard to say anything bad about it. Even if you have no interest in martial arts, you will get something out of this movie.

I highly recommend this movie for men AND women, fight fans and average Joes alike.
  • Stephen Cook31 July 2011
    Emotions on par with The Fighter, one of the top combat sport movies since Rocky, one of the best of 2011
    Every so often you'll come across a combat sport movie that manages to find just the right balance of drama and action – that is, more drama than action. When fights are justified with backstories full of crushing emotion, they become all the more intense and gratifying.

Warrior brings to the table the world of mixed martial arts, where punches, kicks, holds, and everything else goes. The inception of new international tournament "Sparta" puts on a collision course Paddy (Nick Nolte), Brendan (Joel Edgerton), and Tom Conlon (Tom Hardy), all part of an estranged family torn apart in the past by abuse, favoritism, and abandonment. Tom resurfaces in society to enlist the help of his formerly alcoholic father Paddy to train him for the tournament, while at the same time Brendan revisits his UFC training in hopes to win the $5 million purse for his struggling family. The two underdogs face some of the toughest MMA fighters on the planet, but the true struggle appears to lie within them. Paddy battles for forgiveness against the resentment of his sons, Tom fights to prove to himself that he is strong, and Brendan struggles to come to terms with his older family while trying to support one of his own.

The fantastic thing here is two protagonists entering the same tournament. Each brother has his own respectable reasons for fighting, a fact that is sure to divide the audience when it comes time to choose which one to root for. The story truly is gut-wrenchingly powerful and presented in an engaging fashion. Little by little through the film's dialogue, we are allowed a glimpse into the past hardships of the Conlon family, and the characters' motivations for retaining such hatred are revealed gradually. Through the incredible acting talents of Tom Hardy, Joel Edgerton, and Nick Nolte, this confused and passionate chemistry really comes alive. All three actors put up some of the most convincing and heartbreaking performances of their careers; and seeing as how The Fighter garnered so many Oscar nominations, I can't see why Warrior will not do the same. My only beef with the movie is its clichéd climax and rather bleak inconclusive ending, though it still does good to the emotional schism the movie intended to create.

Warrior is one of those sports films with a magical mixture of emotional and physical battle. It's a wonderful story showing how sometimes the world's strongest forces are insignificant in comparison to the troubles of a scarred family. Warrior is without a doubt worth a visit to the theater. One of the best of 2011! And whether you're an MMA fan or not, the adrenaline-pumping fights will have you up and cheering and applauding.

• nyharlemeve10 September 2011
    A wonderfully, well written story
    This movie is truly, truly OUTSTANDING! I am in complete shock over the performances in this film. Nick Nolte, as usual, gives a gritty, gut wrenching, emotional performance that left me buckling at the knees. One of my all time favorite movies of Mr. Nolte was Rich Man, Poor Man, absolutely a god given talent! The performances of Mr. Hardy and Mr. Edgeron were academy award winning, I would love to see more of them by far! I cried throughout the movie, and when it was over, I could not wait to tell everyone about it. A terrific ensemble cast and movie that certainly should be up for Best Picture!! A definitive Oscar nod for Nick Nolte, and if it were up to me, Mr. Hardy and Mr. Edgeron would walk away with one as well! If you have not seen this movie, drop what you are doing, run to your nearest theater. This movie is truly what being a performer is all about! My hat is off to you all!!!
  • nyUconn22 September 2011
    FANTASTIC MOVIE...can't believe it hasn't gotten more attention. 10/10
    Grab your popcorn, buy your soda..and get ready for a great movie.

From start to finish, this movie will have you hooked. There is no weak spot in this movie. The acting is amazing. The story is great. The music is catchy. You will get emotionally invested throughout this story.

This movie will make you FEEL something. This movie will ENTERTAIN you.

This film has great drama, action, and story. I walked out of the movie being so impressed, and in shock how this hadn't gotten more attention or done better at the box office.

This movie is a MUST SEE. And I'm pretty picky. Enjoy.
  • cervantese1 September 2011
    Loved IT!
    I had the pleasure of watching this movie last night. I went since its a "guy" movie my husband was the one excited about it more than I was. I must say I was more than impressed with the leading men in this film. It has been a long time since a movie has had me on the edge of my seat, biting my nails as this movie did during the fighting scenes. If you are looking for great acting, family drama, awesome fighting scenes than this is the movie for you. After we left the theater we couldn't stop talking about it. I will definitely go see it again when it comes out. We really enjoyed it! Nick Nolte was amazing, and even my husband I think cried in a few scenes, (last time that happened was during Marley and Me) so I must say this movie is a MUST SEE!
  • Danes10110 September 2011
    The best of 2011 and one of the best ever!
    OK, Lets talk about the the big pink elephant in the room first. Yes, the movie has a similar storyline from movies of the past. And yes, it may be, to some, "just another fight movie. However, Warrior has the audacity to challenge the cliché's and still manages to stand out from the rest. Bottom line, Warrior is a well written and directed emotional roller coaster that will have you at the edge of your seat. With a star studded cast and top notch acting, the performances were solid and believable. Nick Nolte in particular did a fantastic job with his role and will have you nearly in tears. As the movie progresses you will be torn on what you would like to see happen for the climax of this entertaining thrill ride. Movies with this much emotional power connected to the characters only come around every once in a while. Go see this movie to finish off the summer or forever regret not supporting what is sure to be a classic!
  • wildaboutmovies1 May 2011
    Best Fighting Movie Since Rocky
    I had the pleasure of seeing Warrior at 2011 CinemaCon, walking in not knowing a thing about the movie, other than it was a movie about 'fighting.' And though a MMA movie (Mixed Martial Arts), not boxing, per se, for the genre, fighting, Warrior delivers a much better story than The Fighter, and is on par with Clint Eastwood's Oscar winner, Million Dollar Baby.

Expect a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nod in 2012 for Nick Nolte. And superstar status for Tom Hardy.

Warrior, though a work of fiction, plays out like a true story; two brothers at odds with each other and their father, in the town of Pittsburgh, who resort to prize fighting, one for the money, the other to prove himself a man.
  • ctarheel-315-53598611 March 2012
    The official trailer itself is a little bit of a spoiler. I didn't even have an IMDb account and made one just to rate this movie. One of the best iv ever seen. First movie iv ever cried during, and i cried twice lol. Whether your a guy who likes fighting movies or a girl who doesn't know what MMA stands for, this movie will blow you away. Seriously, I don't know how anyone could watch this and think it wasn't at the very least, a Very Good movie. It kept me on the edge of my seat, and its also more realistic the most fighting movies. Watching rocky and most box office fighting films, there tends to be over-dramatized punching noises and the boxers seem to fight without attempting to guard themselves. Aside from the realistic fight however, is a very emotional drama which is sure to move anyone who pays attention to the film.
  • Kris DeCastro6 September 2011
    Best Sports Movie this year. One of the greatest fighting movie of all time
    Over the past few years we've been receiving quite a lump sum of MMA movies due to the rise of the sport. But movies like Never back down, and fighting just doesn't cut it with their cliché man against man rivalry, with their over the top inaccurate MMA-like action. Then there came Warrior. Was it just another MMA movie with over the top hardcore action? Well lets find out.

What pulled me into the movie at first was the trailer. The trailer didn't have hardcore rock or scenes of "You're not the best around here you can't beat me" shenanigans. It had the sense of two brothers trying to solve their own problems while trying to deal with each other and their former alcoholic father through the use of a huge MMA tournament named Sparta. In which revealed in the trailer they eventually have to face each other.

The story of Warrior although is very MMA suited, you will see about more drama than there is action. Not that there is a problem with that, but it's always great to see how everything unfolds. A former MMA fighter now Physics teacher Brendan Conlon (Joel Edgerton) faces financial problems with his house and is slowly getting back into the mix by competing in underground fights. But the education system finds out about his antics, thus for he is suspended without pay. So he uses this to train full time, and compete in Sparta. Whereas former Marine Tommy Conlon (Tom Hardy) a war hero who is suffering through PTSD, decides he wants to fight in Sparta to give the prize money to the family of his fallen friend. Then there is the father Paddy (Nick Nolte) a former alcoholic who is trying to reach out for his sons for forgiveness of being a family wreck. Who in return is being used as Tommy's trainer, bet is being neglected by him as well. Then Brendan although neglecting him as well, is trying to deal with his own problems and has no time for him.

As for the fight scenes of the movie, I can say I am an experienced Martial artist I've trained in several styles. Although I am not a pro MMA fighter yet, I've watched enough fights to actually comprehend how MMA fights are like and the rules and whatnot. Warrior has put in really great choreography of an authentic MMA fight. It was as if I was watching real fights on the big screen. Although there were some over the top moves here and there, most of the techniques portrayed in Warrior are applicable in a real life combat situation.

The performance and screenplay, all were simply amazing. Tom Hardy's performance was astounding, as so was Nick Nolte's. The appearances of Nate Marquardt (UFC), Anthony Johnson(UFC), Erik Apple(Strikeforce), Roan Carneiro(Freelance) and Kurt Angle(TNA) did a really good job being actors of the movie while being able to retain their athletic ability of being professional athletes in combat sports.

The movie had a unique way making you feel absorbed into the movie, getting to know the characters and feeling attached to them emotionally. Warrior is an emotional roller coaster that will make you laugh, really tense, and even leaving the theater in tears. Whether you are the MMA athlete, fan, trainer, enthusiast or an average movie goer, This movie is for you. Definitely one of the best movies I've seen this year.
  • Jon Ochiai3 October 2011
    What You Fight For
    "Warrior" may be one of the best movies of the year that no one sees. That in itself is puzzling. Mixed martial arts and UFC are in the cultural mainstream; in fact MMA is more popular than professional boxing. Director and writer Gavin O'Connor did the amazing "Miracle" a few years back about the 1980 U.S. Olympic Hockey Team. So he has the touch for inspirational sports stories. In "Warrior" estranged brothers Brendan Conlon (Joel Edgerton) and Tommy Conlon (Tom Hardy) fight each other in the finals of the winner take all mixed martial arts tournament Sparta in Atlantic City. "Warrior" is an inspired story of family, honor, and redemption. I applauded at the end of the movie along with the rest of the audience.

"Warrior" is a paradox of styles as inspired by its leads. Tommy (Hardy) is the AWOL Marine war hero from Afghanistan. He literally tore off a submerged tank door, saving those inside. Tommy plows through opponents with sheer rage and power. He is explosive technique. We witness this as he savagely dismantles world middle weight contender "Mad Dog" Grimes (cocky Erik Apple) with kicks, punches, and throws in an impromptu sparring session. Tommy mysteriously appears at his Dad's door step in Pittsburgh. He blames Paddy (powerful and sublime Nick Nolte) for the death of his mother. Brendan (Edgerton) is the high school physics teacher and former UFC fighter. He and his wife Tess (strong Jennifer Morrison) work several jobs to pay their upside down mortgage. Brendan gets an entry into Sparta to save his family home. He is smart and willing to take punishment to leverage his opponent's mistakes—getting a tap out. Brendan like Tommy has no love for their recovered drunk Dad (Nolte).

At the narrative arc Brendan says to Tommy, "I love you!" And neither will back down. I think O'Connor and writers Anthony Tambakis and Cliff Dorfman at times overstate the family dysfunction. "Warrior" could have been leaner, as strange as that sounds. The mixed martial arts fighting are world class and many of the fighters are MMA stars. Former professional wrestling champion Kurt Angle is fierce and dominating as Russian champ Koba. His match with Brendan is vicious and amazing. "Warrior" authentically gets the brutality and precision of mixed martial arts. Hardy and Edgerton are awesome. I read that Hardy trained intensely gaining 30 pounds of muscle. He broke ribs and fingers. Edgerton tore his knee out during the shoot.

"Warrior" has a gritty atmosphere that is all about character and adversity. O'Connor seamlessly captures this in the simple camera shots and intimate dialog. He generates amazing performances. Edgerton is the delicate balance of compassion and focus. His Brendan is a good and decent man. Hardy has an electrifying enigmatic presence. He provokes a painful sadness and rage in Tommy, for whom honor and family are everything. Nick Nolte poignantly plays their broken father, who is pivotal in the redemption of his sons. Ultimately, "Warrior" is about forgiveness and love. It is one of the year's best.
  • Keith_54524 April 2012
    A different interpretation of the ending.
    Please don't read this if you don't want the ending given away.

I've noticed a lot of people complaining that the ending spoils the film and is clichéd because the underdog and not the better fighter wins.

I'm not suggesting that my interpretation is the right one but my view is somewhat different than the one some people hold. It is perfectly logical to point out that Brendan had hard fights to get to the final and that he would probably have been exhausted and that Tommy has had a much easier route.

However, the point is that he made that route easier because of his rage. Tommy is only the more destructive force because of that. His demons are driving him on because he is lost. He cannot or will not reach out to connect with his father or brother. The point is that the dam is broken when he sees his father in the hotel room raging against Ahab. This is deeply symbolic. I think you are meant to draw the connection with Ahab who was driven by his own rage with the rage of the father which destroyed his family to the rage which Tommy now feels. Even though he is drunk it is no coincidence that his father refers to Tommy as Ahab and bellows at him to stop the ship. At the point that Tommy takes him in his arms and holds him he begins the healing process but loses what makes him such a formidable fighter. Thus he is simply unable to blow his brother away in the way that he has done to every other opponent.

The other crucial point (and you would have to be a younger brother to fully get this one) is that Tommy doesn't really want to beat his brother at that point. He needs to know that his brother loves him and perhaps that he regrets not reaching out to him when they were younger. The fact that he taps out only at the point when Brendan says he loves him is significant as is the fact that he breaks down in the corner before the final round. Had he still been carrying his rage he would surely rather have been rendered unconscious than submit.

In other words, for me it was the perfect ending and the more you think about the film the more profound it seems.

All in my view of course. Which could be a load of old rubbish.
  • inclusus_review18 August 2011
    A fine sports/fight movie with great performances that deserves a wide audience
    I was lucky enough to catch Warrior at Empire's Big Screen at the O2 in London last week as one of their secret screenings and I have to say it was a very pleasant surprise. It seems it wasn't just me either, eves-dropping on rest of the audience as we left revealed there was an all round endorsement by the crowd. Funnily many of the conversations would begin 'I wouldn't usually go and see a film like that but…' which I can certainly second. I will also avoid spoilers here as I went into this completely unaware and certainly benefited from it.

The film follows two fighters and their families as they enter the big bucks mixed martial arts (MMA) competition, Sparta. It has the usual balance of down on his luck good guy doing it for the family (Joel Edgerton) and a seemingly brutal fighter who is looking for a payday (the suddenly ubiquitous Tom Hardy). Throw in Nick Nolte as a sad, reformed drunk of a father and we have the basic elements of another run of the mill sporting movie. Or at least that's how it starts. It doesn't particularly throw any curve balls to be honest but it does unfold interestingly and we are not given the whole story on a plate which was refreshing. It examines family relationships and regret and faces the terrible truths when some wounds just cannot be healed by forgiveness once it is too late.

It's not all family drama though and unsurprisingly it does have a hellova lot of fighting in so even though I think it is enjoyable for most if you can't stomach the violence then don't bother with it. However the fighting is well balanced within the narrative, excellently shot and excitingly edited so we do not get the cliché slow-mo or the epic hour long battle even for the big finale. Some of the fights are brutally quick and even those that go the distance are edited down very well indeed while maintaining that punishing feeling - they certainly had the audience ooomph'ing and wincing along with every slam and punch. There will be blood along with some horrible curdling crunches too.

Aside form the action Rocky (1976) and The Wrestler (2008) seemed to be more about the individual and their demons and while there are elements of that here it really focuses on the (dysfunctional) family drama. Of course it is going to get the obvious comparisons to The Fighter (2010) but I don't think it's a bad thing and that should really be taken as a compliment. I would not be surprised to see it picking up a few awards along the way too. Even if one was to compare the two I think Warrior stands up very well and having the film follow two fighters marks it apart. Like the fighter though the two leads are outstanding and worthy of all the attention they will receive for them. Performances are impressive across the board in fact and it's wonderful to see Nick Nolte back in the frame with a delightful role that he seems to slip perfectly into. (A sorry ex-drunk with a history of violence - apologies Nick!) As well as their acting performances the two main characters are to be complimented on their believable appearance as fighters with some impressive physique on display. Both of our fighters here are easily as believable as the muscled yet high pitched and whiny Wahlberg and certainly must have done a fair bit of training for the role too. Although that wouldn't really be a surprise for anyone that has seen Hardy in Bronson (2008) most will know him from his turn in Inception (2010) which is something completely different. Joel Edgerton too looks different from the roles I remember him in – Kinky Boots (2005) and Animal Kingdom (2010) - as well as his Uncle Owen turn mean this is another impressive transformation.

As much as I love this film there are a few gripes as there always has to be (sorry I've yet to find a 10/10 film!). Props to director Gavin O'Connor who also wrote the story and starred but the direction could have been a bit tighter and its not a movie where every scene is trimmed with a few wasted shots or lazy and obvious camera work. Although performances were all good some of the characters seemed to lack depth and I felt the wife (Jennifer Morrison) was a little underused as I thought Nick's role also seemed to be forgotten about in the final third. These are very minor quibbles but unfortunately the main one is that it's a product of its self - it's difficult for any film like this to avoid the cliché or cheesy ending. A film focusing on two main fighters in the same competition was always limited on outcomes and although Warrior does it's best I'm afraid the ending could have been handled a bit better.

Very enjoyable movie that I hope gets the audience it deserves. Give it a try even if it's not your usual cuppa tea.

8 out of 10
  • zetes9 February 2012
    Clichéd sports movie with some good points
    A very cliché sports story, with so many corny moments that you'll have seen in six dozen other films that it becomes ludicrous long before its end. Yet, in some ways, it's pretty well done, and it nearly overcomes those clichés. Joel Edgerton and Tom Hardy play two brothers who parted ways way back when they were teenagers. Hardy went away with his mother and later joined the Marines after she passed away. Now he has returned to his father (Nick Nolte), a former drunk who drove his family apart. Edgerton didn't like his father much, either, but chose not to go with his brother and mother because he was in love with the woman he would eventually marry (Jennifer Morrison). Both brothers are skilled fighters and have their eyes set on the big prize in a mixed martial arts tournament. The film somewhat succeeds because it's very low-key. Most of the time, it's hard to notice how melodramatic and predictable the story is. The performances help, too (Joel Edgerton was my favorite of the three big characters). After a while, though, we get stuff like a wife who refuses to watch the fight impatiently pacing behind her cell phone, on a table in the foreground, waiting for a call to tell her her husband has won a match. And Hardy's story is beyond ridiculous - he gets invited to the tournament after beating up a trained MMA champion in a local gym - never mind that Hardy, at best, was just a trained wrestler many years ago in high school. Being in the Marines does not give you superpowers. That's just the start of the ridiculousness that ends up, obviously, with the two brothers fighting in the ring (with Edgerton's wife, at this point, of course watching from ringside). I should probably call Gavin O'Connor one of the best directors of the year, because, as over-the-top as all this stuff is (and, believe me, I barely scratched the surface - the movie runs for 2 hours and 20 minutes), it generally doesn't feel that way. If one doesn't look too closely at it, I could imagine it seeming great. But it's not.
  • Jordan Kennerly10 September 2011
    An Emotional Homerun
    As a teenager, I'm definitely inexperienced in the world of MMA. But this movie is not about MMA, and that is set very clear from the start. Right from the start of the 2 minute trailer. So naturally I was ecstatic to take my seat in the theater.

Tom Hardy (Tommy Conlon) delivers a moving and emotional performance of a man who has suffered greatly from the ones he loves, and from the field of battle, an all to real reality for people of today. While the younger Tommy suffered the loss of his mother firsthand, his older brother Brendan (Joel Edgerton)has put together a life that a man dreams of, yet is still haunted daily by his past. Only to have it threatened to be destroyed by the bank. Nick Nolte the alcoholic father of the two, has suffered years of remorse and regret from the abuse of alcohol and the neglect of his wife and children is trying to forge a bond but is meeting a stone wall with both of his sons.

The fighting, though it is very well acted and shot, is not about fighting. It is the physical representation of the struggle between the three men, the struggle to forget and forgive and to move on. The demons that possess all three of these men are of such great proportion, the only way they can be relinquished is for them to come together.

It hits home on such a high level on so many different subjects, that you will be floored into your seat as the credits roll in.

• Radu_A4 August 2012
    well if this isn't the American Nightmare
    OK, actually this is a decent sports drama, and I would rate it 6.5-7 if it wasn't for an utterly horrifying plot element that seems to have escaped most people: The main hero of the story is forced into foreclosure of his home by an arrogant banker who weaseled him into his loan in the first place, and now refuses to extend it. His only way out is to participate in a no-holds-barred fight tournament organized and financed by - an arrogant Wall Street banker! Just how sick is that? The people who force ordinary Americans into bankruptcy get the additional kick of watching said Americans get their heads bashed in - and be grateful for the wads of cash they may receive if they make it. Exactly like 'Hunger Games', only there it's criticized and in a SciFi setting, whereas 'Warrior' glorifies this state of things and is set in the present day! Almost as if the US today were some sort of Ancient Rome, where the impoverished should be thankful for their chance to prove their merit in the arena like the gladiators of yore.

Other reasons for me to dislike the film were various plot gaps wider than the Grand Canyon: if a soldier goes AWOL in Iraq - how can he resurface in the US under a different name? Are we supposed to believe that US immigration turns a blind eye on disgruntled young men? Besides the fact that the feat, for which he is so celebrated in the film, is physically impossible (body submerged in water = no leverage).

Then there's the 'Rocky' thing: below-than-average fighter trains for a big tournament and makes it against all odds. In 'Rocky', however, the whole story is about getting there, how to overcome the shortcomings of the body by willpower, and the final fight is a draw, not a victory - because in that film, the emphasis is on keeping it real, and that's what makes it a classic. 'Warrior', however, features totally unbalanced fight sequences; the only difference to wrestling would be the missing name calling, and that it presents itself as a real deal, where in fact anybody who's ever done a bit of martial arts can only shake his head and go WTF.

On the plus side, there's Nick Nolte's great presence in a, however, highly cliché role. But aforementioned plot element, which I perceive as an assault on common sense and civil rights, prompts me to condemn this film completely. If there's anyone in this film who'd deserve a good thrashing, it's the organizer of the Sparta tournament!
  • cbrevard16 February 2012
    formulaic plot and unimaginative script
    How this film got 8/10 stars is beyond me. They meet on the beach at night for a tête-à-tête? Puhleez. The music is overblown and sappy. The fight scenes are absurd. Nolte reads from a script that is nothing but a chain of clichés.

8/10? #145 in the top 250? I guess the knuckle draggers who enjoyed the film know enough to rate a movie online, but not enough to distinguish between this dreck and something that actually required artistry and intelligence ("There Will Be Blood," or "The 400 Blows," or "Barry Lyndon," for example, which are given lower ratings).

No wonder "Idiocracy" was was too close to the bone for the audiences who screened it.
  • Teh Pwn11 August 2012
    Overrated classical American feelgood movie
    First off - great camera-work, hence the 2. Now for the core of the movie - brother vs brother is a fun plot that can be twisted every which way. However as soon as some obviously fake Russian character is introduced with the completely out of place Visotski song playing in the background... the pieces start falling in place. This is a classical American tearjerker feelgood movie. The idea alone of a classic underdog has been made into film 100 times better in Rocky, where not the selfish victory but "all-in" attempt at it is what really counts. A battle that could not be won, yet one does not give up. This is the opposite. What could have been a very dramatic (and believable! and almost heartbreaking!) plot of two brothers pitted against each other is washed down the tubes. For someone who has a moderate interest in MMA it is clear the the ending was completely unrealistic and would have never taken place. This is not 1900's, today people are not beaten to within an inch of their life in the ring. To contrast this to any VanDamme flick - think of this movie being a much better attempt at a fighter movie, minus actual fighters who have no acting skills, but add to it American superiority complex and you have the "warrior". Overrated, and sad to say this "warrior" won in the ring but lost to idealism.
  • arodz_motorsports23 January 2012
    8.3 rating on this movie? how?
    this movie absolutely sucks! the whole plot, the clichés! I just do not understand how this movie got such a high rating! The movie has such a dumb storyline! I am wondering if people are giving it a high rating because of the popularity of MMA? The whole movie is just so full of unrealistic possibilities. From the AWAL Marine who becomes a hero on his way out from IRAQ,who all of a sudden becomes an MMA killer? to the moonlighting Teacher who beats down an undefeated MMA fighter? or How about the two brothers fighting each other for the finale? what are the odds of that happening? I am usually not such a hard critic but the unrealistic high rating made me post this. Please people please rate this movie correctly and not just on MMA Scenes. I would never watch this movie again! I think people should re rate this movie once they clearly see how boring and unrealistic this movie is!
  • Christian Holmqvist24 March 2013
    People are giving it a little too much credit
    Okay so I'm also one of those people who "only registered to comment on this movie" and I see a lot of people here being either "OMG! BEST. MOVIE. EVER." or "omg how can this even be classified as a movie.

Well in my opinion this movie is worth a watch, far from the best or even one of the greater movies I've seen but it was watchable till' the end, it didn't at least feel like a 2 hour movie. What follows are my problems with the film and I think you should see the movie before continuing reading. I'm going to talk about the drama, not how this is a rocky ripoff, fight-scenes, the incredible improbability that these two guys would end up in a tournament like this etc.

SPOILER LINE OF DOOM - DO NOT PROCEED Okay so I gave this film a 6 out of 10 and I don't feel it deserves anything more, and nothing less. I'm really baffled to see how so many people see this as fantastic or great drama, the only dram that i felt had any impact on me was the relationship Tommy had with his father because they actually shared scenes with each other and you really could feel Tommys' anger with his father... unlike the relationship with his brother... which is the climax of the movie.

To me it feels like they just throw a lot of negative events into everyones lives and expect me to instantly feel for them and apparently it works on some people but personally i need more than bad news to care for a person. Brendan has money issues, and he's angry with his father for being a drunk and spending more time with his brother than him, Brendan has one scene where he actually talks to his father. One. You can't expect me to feel anything about this come on.

Tommy. His friend dies, goes AWOL, angry with his brother for leaving, angry with his father for being a drunk and he's an ex-marine. Whoa they really just threw everything and anything into this guy to make him likable. He has one scene with his brother where he says that he's mad because Brendan left. That's it. And this is gonna be sufficient for the finale? It ain't. What, all he ever wanted was for his brother to say he loves him and that would make it all okay? I really just didn't get why they ended this film like they did, I've seen some reviews here from people claiming they cried, personally I was in an emotional what the.. statement. Oh yeah, Tommy is fighting because he made a promise to his dead friends wife that he'd take care of them, we know this from 1 scene where he made a phone call and never speak of this again. I mean... what the hell is with this movie throwing so much in it and not developing anything.

The thing I think the movie got right was the relationship Tommy had with his father Paddy. Nick Nolte does a great performance and I really sympathize with him and it was emotional seeing Tommy finally forgiving him, kind of, maybe he just felt guilty I really don't know they just kind of jumped to the climax from there. Anyway it was nice seeing some closure between them.

Okay first review and it got pretty long, at least I feel I got what I wanted out and think they should have left some parts out and developed other more and for that, it's worth a 5-6. Not the best I've seen, nor the worst, just something watchable in the middle. If this will be the best drama you have seen, like some people on this site claim it is, guess what? There's so many other movies for you to watch than this one, better ones.
  • Alexia Verona (idontknowiknowthatidontknow)19 November 2011
    an 8.3? 8.3? 8.3? 8.3? 8.3? But no, it can not be, there is no, no, no, no, I will not accept sheeples' scores
    See, back in the day about 10 years ago, when the Good the bad and the ugly was rated 7.7 and Barry Lyndon was rated 7.5, people were more sensible. This movie is ONE BIG Cliché, OH MY GOD, other than Nick Nolte's performance, everything else was violently cliché. See, back in the day, there's no way in hell this movie would be at 8.3, probably low 5's.

See, here is how the director got such a high score from the sheeple. First you got to have a touching subject that ends not in tragedy but happiness: father son mad at each other then make up, let's see that covers about a quarter of the viewing audience. Next brothers make up, another quarter at least, next economic struggle, mortgage foreclosure, another quarter at least, next drug addiction, trying to cope, serve in the military, oooooo, National Pride!!! more boost to the score, more BOOST!!! More sheeple voting 8 or higher.

My eagle eye sees everything, few can escape the sharpness of my intellect.
  • mreman181219 December 2011
    Absolute Trash
    This is a formula movie which makes no sense at all and merely sets up conditions that will supposedly tug at your heart strings. It's difficult to give the reasons for my conclusion without putting in a spoiler. The plot is thin, the characters unbelievable and the ending is absolutely ridiculous.

True, we enjoy movies as a way to escape reality for a little while but how so much money can be spent making a movie as bad as this is beyond any logical thought. I suppose if you are a teenager and like flash bang violence without any thought to reality then this would be the movie to see. Afterwards you can go beat up some grade school children and buy a trophy for your efforts.
  • Stojkov15 December 2011
    If you need some stereotype in your life go and see Warrior
    This movie is something new. Everything was so unpredictable, fights, tournament and what an end, totally unexpected, two brothers in the final. What a story!!! Really, I think this film is in top 10, no top 5, worst sport-drama movies in last decade. Do not waste your time. Do not waste your time and money on this film. It is absolute mystery how Warrior reached 8.3 on IMDb. It should be in best case 5, so that people know that they cannot expect any intellectual challenge. So, I guess this is a movie for Ultimate fight fans, because that is the only that it can offer, fight scenes (pumped and not realistic). And believe, this has nothing with a fact that I am a female. I watched Warrior with my brother and husband, both of them shared my opinion. Nothing new, full of stereotypes. OK, I will admit one bright spot. Hotel scene with drunk Nick Nolte character and Tom Hardy character is 3 bright minutes in 140 min of nothing.
  • ironhorse_iv3 January 2016
    Warrior is on a Warpath! What an awesome movie! It was a knockout!
    This amazing family drama movie from 2011 made megastars out of then-unknown actors, Joel Edgerton and Tom Hardy. Both really put great performances in and out of the ring. Both really took a beaten, to make the cage fighting seem real. Edgerton suffer from a torn MCL, while Tom Hardy suffered a broken toe, broken ribs, and a broken finger. It takes a lot of guts just to do that. Not only does Joel Edgerton and Tom Hardy, make very brutality and believable gritty fights, but I love how both were able to touch the heart-strings as well. The intensity from both of them, made this movie, very entertaining. Directed by Gavin O'Connor, the movie tells the stories of two estranged brothers, Troubled Iraq vet, Tommy Conlon (Tom Hardy) & unemployed and indebt teacher, Brendan Conlon (Joel Edgerton) who enter a Mixed Martial Arts tournament to compete with each other, for their own good moral reasons. Who is going to win? Watch the movie to find out! Without spoiling the movie, too much, I love the fact, that the movie doesn't make, a bad seed out of Tommy or Brendan. Both characters have their faults, and their good side. However, I do believe that their one-dimensional fighting styles, don't really match up with their personality. Don't get me wrong, it's cool to see, Tom Hardy all buff out and knocking people out, with his striking ability, but it makes little to no sense in the context of the character's history. After all, wasn't this man once a former wrestling prodigy? Wouldn't he be, doing more takes down, and arm holds than his brother, Brendan!? I don't get it! Another problem with the film is the huge gaps in logic within the story structure. A good example is how Tommy even got back to the US, if he supposedly went AWOL in Iraq. You would think, that wouldn't be easy. Another problem with the film is how the film, has no epilogue, so we never see the repercussions of Tommy's desertion nor find out what becomes of the family he promised to support. What happen to them!? Brendan's story arch isn't any better. Brendan being forced into fighting by economic reasons, to supplement his income is bit of a joke. It doesn't make any sense, since most amateur fighters make little to no money at all. Most of them, pursuit this dangerous career, because it's their dream job. Brendan had no reason to go back into fighting; after all, he was a physic teacher! Colleges would pay, good money for his teaching ability. Brendan's main flaw is his pride. His absolute refusal to file for bankruptcy or move to a smaller house, even though his wife, Tess (Jennifer Morrison) would rather take that option than watch him risk his life in the ring is be too selfish than inspiring to watch. I know, that Brendan Conlon was based off, real-life math teacher turn UFC fighter, Rich Franklin, but unlike Brendan in the film, Franklin went from teaching math to fighting, because his love for the sport, not economic reason. In my opinion, it would make more sense that Brendan went back into fighting, because that's what he wanted to do; not because he had to. Another thing that seem a bit illogically in the film is how both men whom seem, a bit amateurism in their fighting records, were able to get into the Sparta winner-takes-all competition at all. You would think, that a high-profile, winner-takes-all competition with a $5 million purse would be fill with more season trained fighters than amateur fighters. The mixer of amateurs with mostly unsanctioned fighting records with pro-fighters seem a bit too jarring to be taken seriously. It's like if Daniel LaRusso from 1984's Karate Kid was against Martial Arts Master, Bruce Lee. It's kinda unbelievable to see that ever happening in real life. Although the competition action sequences takes itself pretty realistically; there were too many terrible calls from the ref and judges to make any the fights in this film, seem 100% realistic in real fighting accuracy. I give the movie, more like 75% in that. Still, the idea that a MMA sport event is a brutal blood sport where competitors are able to continue to fight with a broken arm is also a highly doubtful probability. I know that it was played up for dramatic effect, but in reality, getting your arm broken would result in an immediate stoppage, no matter how much you want to continue fighting. While, I have to say, the performances in the ring were really great, despite some flaws, I have to say, that the performances out of the ring, were a little better. Most of the best parts in the film, are the interactions between the family members. The movie deals with some weighty mature content that most people might find, a little too uneasily, to watch. The conflicted relationship between fathers and sons, the estrangement of brothers, PTSD, alcoholism, inferiority, abandonment issues and family debts are all melodrama clichés used at its best. Nick Nolte as the boys' father, Paddy, a retired, recovering alcoholic boxer is outstanding. I was really glad, he was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor, for this role, that year. His recovery and his will to redeem himself, made for a very inspiring side story. Another great part of this film is the soundtrack by Mark Isham. The track 'Listening to the Beethoven', is amazing. Not only that, but the music that came along with it, such as the band, the Natural's song 'About Today" was gripping to hear. Overall: This underdog emotional fighting story was a major hit for me. Tons of manly tears from me. A great inspiring punch, to knock some sense in you, if you're feeling out of the fight. A must-watch.
  • Sara22 February 2017
    Fantastic Jean-Claude Van Damme movie from the early 90's!
    I think IMDb made a mistake writing this movie was made in 2011. It clearly is made in the early 1990's- the story, moral and World view proves that it is an early remake of every Jean- Claude Van Damme movie ever made up until that time. Also- it features a scary communist man from the threatening country of the Soviet union. This movie concentrates on telling the fantastic story of two American (the only nation that counts) brothers- sportsmen who go to war every time they step out on "stage", much like when Serena Williams or Roger Federer steps out on court in the U.S. Open and the chair umpire yells "Fight!" right before they open 1st set (Mortal Kombat later borrowed the idea). In the movie one of the brothers is a kind and good man (..actually they both are.. all men are good men.. wait- well they usually are in movies, right..?) and a loving husband and father, who doesn't want to fight but is left no option since an evil bank has ripped him off. Luckily he's American because in America regular people like that can moonlight (like Walter White does in Breaking Bad- to pay his medical bills in a country that saves its people from the evil grips of socialism) as one of the 16 BEST fighters in the world- which he luckily happens to be although he's hidden it for many years. The other brother who also happens to be one of the 16 BEST fighters in the world is an ex-soldier in that country of Iraq, where he bravely saved an American soldier and was considered a war hero (this I find confusing- don't you get to be a war hero when you kill people..? otherwise any like doctor could be a hero, right..?). He is very modest and a true Christian, because he does not care about fortune and fame. In fact, he changes his name and gets out of Iraq and into America under false pretenses (when you're American you don't need a passport- all you need to do is say you're American) so no one knows who he is. They both enter the greatest MMA tournament of the World (in America). Since the soldier brother doesn't have any family that he cares about or friends it's a good thing that he doesn't win the fighting tournament that occupies the last 1h of the movie, but his loving and fatherly brother does, the one who actually needs the money for his children and wife (who is useless, but looks like a supermodel- a typical American woman). The ending I really haven't seen in any other Hollywood movie except a Jean-Clause Van Damme movie or perhaps anything remotely related to Disney... or Steven Spielberg.. or anything from Hollywood that slightly resembles any of the previously mentioned. The movie is really great for people who are vacuum cleaning while watching it or simply has the level of a general American high- school education recently graduated or likes the story line in MacGyver (again, 80's).