User Reviews (54)

• Sergio Tapia11 March 2011
    A deep touching picture
    I have just been invited to watch the movie during a screening presentation in Rome and after several hours I'm still deeply touched. It's a film that makes you think, reflect. It's not an easy action movie, and in that sense, some maybe would get disappointed if they are thinking of it as another war movie. It's a drama that despite the cruel events that portraits opens your heart to hope and puts you on the quest for transcendence. As "The Mission", this new Joffe's film, uses the "paralel" life of two friends to show how difficult it is to make a fair decision while you are under stressful circumstances. Some people may judge this film as the Opus Dei answer to the Da Vinci Code attacks, and in a certain sense it is, but the film is not a propaganda movie, but a deep meditation from an agnostic point of view of the sense of life.
  • jorgesro11 April 2011
    Good and deep, really interesting, maybe not a classic, but must seen!
    Roland Joffe wakes up after two decades of bad cinema. Like a the phoenix bird he come again with interesting cinema.

The film is technically quite interesting. It starts with a short sequence that shows the deepest Spanish soul in a lost village near France. This sequence has an impeccable cut and setting, and works as introduction of the characters and situation. In my opinion the best sequence (speaking as cinema "freak"). The best thing in the film is the photography, which takes the viewer 1920s Spain.

The script is also quite interesting. Although the main character in the film is the Spanish priest Josemaria Escriva, he is not the protagonist of the story. This makes the film more interesting, as it plays with 2 people weighting their importance by their personality and their role in the story. Josemaria is the alter-ego Manolo, both are attractive persons that keep the attention of the viewer, which at the end should judge. Another success of the script is the usage of time. The main story happens in 1920 and 1930, but it is told as memories in the 80s, when the son of Manolo has to write an article about Josemaria, which is going to be canonized by the Catholic Church. Robert discovers that his father came from the same little village of Josemaria, and asks to his father about him. The answer give the title to the film "there be dragons".

Now let's go with the dragons. The makers knew that the film was going to be surrounded by dragons. Opus Dei, communism, revolution, Catholics and the Spanish Civil War... this film has all the ingredients to be a big scandal. The film has the collaboration of some members of the Opus Dei (at least 2 of the producers are) and the organization has given information and access to the documentation about Josemaria. The film also shows a period of the Spanish history which still is a taboo in this country. In Spain, still today, there are mainly 2 opposite streams: pro-franquists and pro-republicans. The film success- in my opinion- to show that as in any war there were no good and bads (which has shocked the Spanish population), that in both sides there were good and bad people, good goals but bad means. My personal opinion is that it success to show the real left of Spain, breaking with the franquist propaganda of the left as communist criminals, but also breaking the view given to Americans by Hemingway that the left in Spain was the advocate of Democracy and freedom. Maybe the film fails to show the right-side of the war, but nevertheless is- in my opinion- the best representation of the civil war that I have seen in art.

Only a non-Spanish could make such a good representation of the Civil War, and only a person like Joffe could dive enough to make such a good representation. I like Joffe because he takes a field and goes deep enough to explain the reasons. It was shown in the Mission and in Killing Fields, and here we are in front of the same Joffe. I admire him because he forgets his own point of view (I have read that he is agnostic), investigates and tries to find the keystone. Some people has said that this film is the answer of the Opus to the Da Vinci Code… well I think it comes to late, because the DVC was released 5 or 6 years ago. On the other hand, if it is an answer, it works well. The DVC shows us a people that, in my opinion, is impossible that are real… I don't know but I don't believe that in the World are people so crazy… for example they are shown flagellating themselves (which is also shown in There Be Dragons), but in the DVC they are doing so… while they know that Christ wasn't God! It makes no sense, no one does something like that to offer to a God, that they know is not God at all… As this the film is full of incoherences… on the other hand There Be Dragons shows both what they do (not the myth) and also explains why… In my opinion this is what makes the difference between good and bad cinema (when your idea is to speak about real things).

I would also like to answer to some of the critics: please speak about the film, because people wants to know about it. If we would like to know about the Opus we could go to their web page, or just write Opus in Google. Here we come to speak about cinema. Also someone said that the rating is not trustful because all the Opus Dei's people will vote 10… well they rate 10 because they liked it as a 10, and have the same right as the people that are not members of the association… IMDb works democratically, so their vote counts as well. The only problem would be if they vote without having watched the film, if the organization has commanded to vote in IMDb… but well there are some 150 high votes, it doesn't seem to be the result of some strange "conspiracy"… Well, my final advice is: you will hear a lot about the film. Some people will speak really well about it, some really bad, and some will just speak about the Civil War or the Opus Dei… with this film is gonna be really difficult to know if it is good or not… so I suggest you to watch it and make your own opinion. It maybe not one of the best films in the last 10 years, but nevertheless it's a must watch.
  • treosgsears24 March 2011
    Movie left me thinking...
    I saw a screening of the movie a few weeks ago... to date, it continues to come back to me through out the day. It has left me thinking so much about my life, relationships, Love, my beliefs, my work, etc. There are so many layers to this movie... It's not a movie for the superficial or those who just want to be entertained over popcorn and then move on to their next thriller. It's a deep movie that engages the mind and heart, hopefully engaging the viewer to think of the morally pivotal moments in life and the choices made. I think there is a little bit of a Manolo in each of our lives... something each one of us needs to come to terns with. Hopefully, as with Manolo, there is a Josemaria in each of our paths. I highly recommend this movie! It's a movie you can't just see once!
  • David Reed21 January 2012
    Interesting PR piece for Opus Dei
    Realistically, this is two movies. One about the writer and his father. One about Opus Dei. The two stories are related by the thinnest of threads and the relation doesn't actually need to be there at all.

I think the story about father and son, Monolo and Robert, would have been worth pursuing in more depth. The reason behind their rift is only alluded to and not explored terribly well, and their spontaneous reconciliation at the end felt forced. Deus ex machina. Perhaps a bit literally.

Meanwhile, the story about Josemaria Escriva -- I can't understand why Joffe didn't show him walking on water as he did just about everything else. I found that this felt like a really nice public relations piece for Opus Dei. I guess the Church and Joffe felt they'd taken enough hits from Dan Brown and needed some positive spin.
  • Javier Gil Guerrero25 March 2011
    An epic history of forgiveness and betrayal in the Spanish civil war
    The movie portrays a time when fascism, communism, Nazism, nationalism, anarchism... fought each other in Europe in one of the most turbulent times in Western history. Amid the scenes of war, a priest fights with himself (his dragons) and forgives all the pain suffered. A movie like "The Pianist" or the "Schindler's List". I felt amazed by this movie. It will make you cry an also feel the joy of forgiveness. The battle sequences are well recreated and the actors make and incredible interpretation. The soundtrack is beautiful (composed by Stephen Warbeck: "Shakespeare in Love"). Roland Joffe definitively has returned to an epic drama similar (and better in my opinion) to that of "The Mission". I think it's one of the best movies I have seen this year so far.
  • Tersault3 August 2011
    Boring and Slow meets Horrible and Lame
    Sorry, I watched this movie without any prior knowledge or background to Josemaria nor the Opus Dei. I have to admit I couldn't stay interested in it. I found it boring, tedious, slow and just horrible. I had to register to save other people the excruciating experience of watching such a lame movie. Reading other reviews, I would have thought that the movie would explore the darker side of humanity or some other profound concepts, but the movie failed, and just kept going on and on. Two hours of my life I can not take back. If you like slow, tedious and overall epic failure at trying to make a movie with a deeper meaning, then watch this movie "there be dragons".
  • vincent-bullock27 April 2011
    An exploration of man's inner demons
    Roland Joffé did not disappoint me with this film. I am a first generation spaniard and I find Joffé's portrayal of the Civil War honest and fair. The story is not engulfed by facts of history, it takes great care in exploring the mysteries of the characters' backgrounds.

On one side we have the historical figure of Jose Maria Escribar, tormented in his search for God and holding firmly to his ideals while submerged in a world of hatred and chaos. On the other Manolo, haunted by vengeance and confusion; fighting without a cause and desperately searching for something he can believe him, an answer to his inner chaos. Finally, Roberto, son of Manolo, must slowly unveil the terrible secrets his father has hidden within him and come to terms with finding out who the man that brought him up was.

The film explores the senseless nature of war and its consequences, the spiral of hatred that slowly engulfs men, the repentance for terrible mistakes and the struggle to forgive them. Each character follows a path filled with dilemmas and suffering at the end of which they must fight themselves and their dragons.

Technicalwise, the film is faultless. There is great care in every scene and as I can testify Joffé has done his homework. The detail to which the history and scenery of 1937 Spain has been recreated is astounding. Even so, the story talks about people, about soldiers; never about leaders or politicians. The film captures the essence of human conflict in its most raw form.

Do not expect an action packed war film. For those who have interest in the roots of Opus Dei, this film will not help you there. It deals with the repercussions of war and strife in people, it does not deal with the grander scale of things.

If nothing else this film will reassure you that war is and always will be a futile tragedy, all victories are Pyrrhic and the aftermath leaves bitter resentment and pain. An interesting perspective in this film is that of the many bystanders who are forced to choose the side they support and so they must be separated from loved ones forever. When a few want war, the rest have no say. As long as the hatred of so few is not buried, war will rise once more.

There Be Dragons is a deeply personal and spiritual film. It is very intense and reflects unapologetically the worst side of humanity. It is true to the title, where this film takes you, there be dragons.
  • sepial14 January 2012
    How on earth...?
    There are some reviews that won't do without spoilers. As this one, and since the bottom line reads, 'don't bother,' it's gonna spiked with them. Should you bother, don't expect to see an edifying depiction of the Spanish civil war. Starting with the purely dramatic aspect, you're in for an attempt of the sentimental that tries to follow in the footsteps of a number of past epics without ever succeeding. Every atrocity, every battle and every memorable scene of conflict desperately contrived to be one feels much like the flashbacks in other movies that only serve to clarify past events in order to drive on the plot, the music making it even worse and more unbelievable. Which would be bad enough. But the specific contents and their implications are simply uncomfortable, in an unwelcome sense. What is seen of murder and injustice is mainly committed by revolutionaries, e.g. the killings of priests, the unthinking mob-behavior against a single, wrongly accused. While one shouldn't doubt that each side in a civil war 'misbehaves', Franco's forces appear simply as an army in contrast and the only crimes on behalf of that side we see are committed by one of the two main protagonists, who in the end receives his personal absolution on the death bed, to sweetest music. The red rebells appear to a large part as the barbaric culprits. When this is not contrasted by what else happened the message is morally doubtful. No mentioning either that the pursue of priests had one of its roots in the catholic church indeed collaborating with Franco's regime. Does this excuse the killings? No. Does it help to make the rage a tad more understandable? Yes. But the movie doesn't intend to pay reference to what the above mentioned character called much more complicated. Latest with the end credits we know that it's a celebration of Josemaria Escriva, the founder of – Opus Dei??? Yes, indeed. And thus we follow the young priest through what the filmmakers intend to call his ordeals. Not that he has the opportunity to realize much action that makes his supposed later saintly status comprehensible. He flees, not that he shouldn't, hides, which is recommendable, crosses the Pyrenees, where the music reaches its intolerable climax. In between he has terrible moments of doubt, which perhaps moves us deeply if we are priests ourselves. To everyone who isn't but is still moved what is rather recommended is some scrutinizing of Opus Dei itself. So, what has ridden Mr. Joffe to hammer together this movie? Clearly blind catholic faith.
  • grandcirque30 December 2011
    Beware! - Heavy propaganda movie
    The whole film is centered on the figure of the founder of Opus Dei, Josemaría Escrivá. Escrivá, who was made ​​a saint by Pope John Paul II, in the film is a stereotyped figure, depicted without defects or excesses, always merciful, sympathetic, forgiving, charitable, in a word, unbelievable: in reality Escrivá supported Franco and Pinochet, and Bishop Vladimir Felzmann affirmed that he heard Escrivá to say indulgent sentences about Hitler. This is only a total propaganda movie for Opus Dei, disguised as a drama. Certainly, the director is a great professional, and the film in itself, I mean as a product, is well done. But the uncritical script is so absolutely, heavily, blindly hagiographic that at the end I was completely disgusted.
  • eolivar-996-7461113 April 2011
    A good story about hope and forgiveness, against all odds
    If this movie was not about the origins of a controversial institution (Opus Dei), and a controversial episode in European history (the Spanish Civil War), people would not have said many of the things that have been said. Encontrarás Dragones is not the official biopic of San Josemaría Escrivá, though everything that is narrated about him in the movie has a historical support. The movie is well directed, the photography is excellent and it's recreation of pre-war Madrid is simply astonishing. Besides, it is a story that compels viewers to consider topics such as forgiveness, love, hope, and goodness. A movie everyone should watch
  • Ana Brown7 May 2011
    A Movie for Atheists too
    Just watched this movie with three other atheist friends. The movie may have Catholic topics, and yes the peculiarities of the Spanish civil war but it is about anthropological universals present in human experience. It is appealing to all audiences. My friends described it a powerful and well done movie. I find it particularly appropriate as a reflection applicable to our current political and social fights. I went to the theater with low expectations since the critics were giving really bad reviews. I consider myself as having pretty high standards for movie quality, and frankly, I cannot make sense of the critics. Probably it is not a politically correct movie, so it is not surprise that critics unable to give up political correctness offer many straw man arguments. Beautiful photography, plenty of leitmotifs and cross-references, good acting. As a Spaniard living in the US I was glad to see a movie about the war that does not take sides.
  • richard-tomkins13 July 2014
    Well...
    Nice cinematography. Weak script, Weak special effects. some dark scenes that didn't have to be.

The music, oh my horror, what can I say about the music. The swelling crescendos,everywhere, the loud volume, drowning out the dialog, and the most inappropriate music at the most inappropriate times, oh my horror, the most horrible music. After a half hour, I was left to myself to watch the thing, the music chased all the others away. Did I mention the music, oh my horror, the miserable horrible music, wrecking what could have been.

In the last half of the movie, I could see the actors were all tired of this, their efforts were drawn and tired, they had succumbed, they had had enough, long before the audience collapsed.

I'm sure the cutting room floor was littered with performances that were absolutely horrible, the actors were sick of this project and just wanted, no needed, to run away.

In Blu-Ray, at a cost of $2.99, cheaper than a bad movie at the theatre and I could at least drown myself in beer.
  • jmorales-996-9501514 March 2011
    Just had "good people" on one side of the war and "bad"in another?
    I think it's a great movie that conveys hope to everyone who is at least a little open-mindedness.

It's a movie to see without prejudice, to enjoy the action, to think a bit and will surely help the spectator to keep less absurd wars in the home, in the family, at work, in neighborhood meetings, in political life...

Is it possible to forgive when people kill to his neighbor? Is it possible to be blind to reality? I hope that this film will full your mind and your heart, as it did me.

I remembered these words of "the way", the "best seller" of José María Escrivá:

"Your life is not a sterile life. Be helpful. Let dregs. Shine forth with the torch of your faith and your love.

You must remove, with your apostolic life, the dirt and slime left by the corrupt sowers of hatred".
  • vdmsss6 August 2011
    Boring, slow, apologetic, badly acted ... and boring at bit more
    I found this film so pretentious in its aspiration and claims, so boring badly-acted and obviously propagandist in its execution to compel me to write my first review. (When I woke up after the big ZZzzz, I mean...) What it does is to paint a glorified history of the "Saint" and the birth of the Opus Dei, in pure ecclesiastic style, never mind historic accuracy.

It would still be all OK to me if the film had any cinematographic merits, if the acting was good, if dialogue was credible But it really isn't (e.g., "I wasn't allowed to play with Jose Maria anymore, my father thought poverty was contagious... My dad had more money, ... but Jose Maria had more dad." Excuse me! And also: "Like or not, most young men were celibate, at least as a priest you got paid for it". What? Excuse me!)

So, my advice is: really don't waste your two hours trying to stay awake during this: if you're interested in the Opus Dei and Escriva De Balaguer, find a more serious and reliable source, if you only want to go the movies, find a better film. This one should stay in the religious circles were it belongs, not in theatres.
  • migrogi10 May 2011
    Don't waste your money and eyesight on this propaganda film.
    Just a manipulation of history, again, by the Opus Dei. Don't forget many cabinet ministers in the Franco governments of the 60s were members of this "sect" and acknowledged ("enterado") the dictator's many death sentences in those years. As for the film and reconciliation, the forget the epilogue: 40 years of forgiveness? It seems that those years do not exist for the film-maker...For the director the war had no consequences, it is an "unfinished" film and totally biased: why the Spanish left, especially the rural working classes were so against priests and church? No look at this background of starvation for the poor and privileges for the church. In fact, many priests participated in the rebeld side with their guns at the side... Ask my parents about"forgiveness" in Spain during those Opus years... As for JoseMari... I bet he would be laughing at it!
  • popenya28 May 2011
    twisting the truth
    The movie has politically engaged to twist the truths during the rise of fascism. Catholic church was supporting fascist regimes, Nazis,Franco and Mussolini. During Spanish civil war church was supporting Franco with information of revolutionary forces and tormenting facilities heritage of famous Spanish Inquisition. War against fascist in Spain was between Army vs people. Assaults on churches were judgement of people after trial by people itself. And judges were already the habitants of the region who knows culprit best. So this movie is nothing more than a cheap way of propaganda and twisting of truth to cover Catholic church cooperation with the enemies of humanity.
  • catherinesOct19621 April 2011
    Finally an epic movie that does not trivialize religion
    Roland Joffe of The Mission and The Killing Fields wrote and directed There Be Dragons. The film's music, storyline and visuals have that quintessential Joffe feel and look. This epic historic drama is well crafted, even if it starts off a bit slowly. The film looks at the early life of the Catholic saint Josemaria Escriva, founder of Opus Dei, the controversial Catholic organization recently caricatured by the book and movie versions of Dan Brown's DaVinci Code. A self-described agnostic, Joffe takes the religious aspects of the story (most of which are supposedly based in fact) seriously and with finesse, which is at once rare and welcome. The movie has war themes, battle scenes, a love story, intrigue, catharsis and more. The end leaves you wanting to know more about Josemaria Escriva. I highly recommend this film.
  • chrisgilbey8 March 2013
    At least the DOP did a reasonable job...
    There are reviews in IMDb that praise this movie. I don't know by what standard they measure movie making, but I would have to say that this movie is one of the worst movies I have seen in a long time.

Lets take the music. It soars, but in all the wrong places. It emotes, with all the wrong signals. It is woefully inappropriate. It is so full of choral voices that I truly have to believe that the composer and arranger were reading a different script or watching different rushes when they wrote the score.

Lets take the script. It is full of utterly trivial dialogue. There just isn't very much that I can say other than it is horrendous.

The cinematography is not bad. The DOP did a fine job.

The acting. Why is it that we haven't seen the lead actors in other movies? Could it be that when they put footage from this movie in their show reels they were automatically dropped out of contention? Good looking actors with poor scripting, and worse storyline. You have to sympathise with them.... really.

So what on earth were people like Charles Dance and Geraldine Chaplin doing in this movie? You would have to believe that they owed the director or the producer a favour. I can't believe that they could need the money that badly!

So do yourself a favour and return the DVD to your local store before you waste the time to put it in your DVD drive....
  • jlm-68 August 2011
    Great title... Bland movie
    I had reason to spend several hours with and paying close attention to the views of the filmmaker, just before the film premiered in Spain; and I found both him and his thinking, truly, fascinating! I found it equally fascinating that a man who had, once, moved audiences with The Killing Fields and The Mission, should believe that this overly plain, almost amateur feel-to-it film - which I had seen, the week before - could ever be expected to transmit to post-Avatar 3D audiences, far less caught up than Roland Joffé in the importance and purpose of redemption in modern-day society.

I, for one, agree that learning to forgive is essential and that without it, we can never find our humanity. Also, I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with 'amateur': the word implies love and vocation, and I'm good with that. 'Overly plain', however, did all-too-frequently smack of 'low-budget, tinny dialogs' and 'shallow performances' - with, to some extent, the exception of Derek Jacobi.

I simply think that people turn to movie theaters for an experience they could never get from multimedia and home cinema; and movie theaters agree to deliver such an experience. And, though some of the action scenes were not entirely uninteresting (and we're, honestly, not asking for Terminators and Jurassics), to make - for general release - an entertaining and viable movie about the value of 'redemption' would appear to be as commercially unlikely as would making a movie about generosity or about humility. Such 'virtues' will either seep through the plot and hit viewers - and, hopefully, stay with them long - after they have left the theater or they won't! Yet, to play such virtues so close to the plot is - I feel - sadly counterproductive, from both a storytelling and a film-viewing point of view.

Mr. Joffé is sure to have enjoyed the experience, engulfed - as he will have been, throughout the film-making process - by this ubiquitous purpose, impregnating so many of his thoughts and actions. It's a shame he didn't give a little more importance to his side of this mutual selfishness pact we call 'film-going': that way, many thousands more might have enjoyed the experience, too.
  • ma-cortes30 July 2012
    Historical film about a journalist who discovers an intense drama plenty of war , love-hatred , treason , and religion
    Spanish/US co-production developing dramatic deeds during Spanish Civil War and the historic figure about Jose Maria Escriba De Balaguer . Enjoyable biographic movie well written and played , being compellingly directed by Roland Joffé . Arising out of the terror of the Spanish Civil War, a candidate for canonization is investigated by a reporter (Dougray Scott) who aware his own estranged father (Wes Bentley) had a deep, dark and devastating connection to the saint's (Charlie Cox) life .

This interesting film is full of compelling drama with love , passion and subsequent betrayal , touching scenes , historical events and good feeling . It is a simple , dramatic and intelligent portrait of a time when the Spanish people live taking on among them . This is an agreeable account of the survival of the human spirit against difficulties ; an epic portrayal of Faith, Forgiveness and Redemption . The movie is plenty of graphic , striking and memorable moments about timeless power of forgiveness and dictating a strong emotional response from the spectator , though some moments is unrealistic . Interesting and thought-provoking movie with evident excitement that can sometimes be undercut by inadequacies in the screenplay , being written and adapted by the same Roland Joffé . This moving picture results to be a breathtaking spectacle about dramatic consequences of Spanish civil war , including strong emotions , brooding dialog and a heartbreaking final . ¨There be dragons¨ or ¨Encontrarás Dragones¨ results to be other of the innumerable stories to deal with dramatic deeds regarding the Civil War background , a familiar theme about the global horrors of a fratricide war , impossible to forget to Spanish cinema . However the story needs a vibration more real than the one offered in this slow-moving and sometimes dull film . But anyway, its is compensated with the great performances from main cast as Charlie Cox as Josemaría Escrivá , Wes Bentley as Manolo Torres as Dougray Scott as Roberto Torres as Rodrigo Santoro as Oriol , Olga Kurylenko as Ildiko and sensational support cast , mostly Spanish , such as Unax Ugalde , Ana Torrent and Jordi Molla , interpreters who provided a considerable boost to the result . Furthermore , a spotless pictorial cinematography by Gabriel Beristain and a willingness , almost perfect of the elements of each shot , every sequence, every space .

The film develops an intrigue by means of flashbacks and dealing with Jose Maria Escriba De Balaguer's life . The events were the following : during the Spanish Civil War , Escrivá was hidden in a psychiatric sanatorium and fled from Madrid, which was under republican control, via Andorra and France, to the city of Burgos, held by the nationalist forces of General Francisco Franco. After the war ended in 1939 with Franco's victory, Escrivá was able to resume his studies in Madrid and complete a doctorate in law. His principal work was the foundation, government and expansion of Opus Dei.

The motion picture was well directed by the British Roland Joffé , being realized in academic style and general coldness , filmed in his usual formal and stylistic scholarship , without leaving a trace the thought-provoking issues , in terms of dramatic and narrative excitement . He is a good filmmaker mainly of epic subjects . After a long career filming for television , he made his movie debut in a big way with ¨The killing fields¨ winner of three Oscar and dealing with madness and atrocities committed by humans , Joffe's usual theme. ¨The mission¨, one of his greatest hits , had Palme d'or at Cannes , a graphic monument to Portuguese oppression in South-America , but Joffe has not quite held his place at the top level . He subsequently directed ¨Fat Man and Little Boy¨ referring to two atomic bombs dropped by America on Japan . Joffe's meagre output for the cinema makes it all the more surprising that he has turned out three splendid films and several others near-disasters such as ¨The scarlet letter¨, ¨Captivity¨, and ¨You and me¨. Rating ¨Encontraras Dragones¨ : Better than average , worthwhile watching .
  • axomolly7 May 2011
    Thought Provoking
    I must admit, I was a bit skeptical about this movie. However, I enjoyed it and want to buy it when it comes out on DVD. I had heard conflicting reviews. Thankfully, I went and saw it for myself. It is a movie covering political, sociological, psychological, and spiritual issues. It's a movie that inspires conversation and analysis. Even though some may think it is an overly religious movie, it is not. The themes are poignant. I would not take anyone under a junior in high school to see it. Graphic images of murder and war are many. Most high schoolers aren't at the maturity level to understand the deeper meaning of the movie. It is a film that challenges me to reassess and confront my own "dragons" that haunt me.
  • klee-13-14310428 March 2011
    Don't Bother unless you're a Catholic...
    Now I'm not a Catholic, my wife is - and I got dragged to go see this film. Though it has some interesting (but short) actions scenes, the storyline is kind of confusing and boring if you know nothing about the Spanish Civil War or Canonization or Opus Dei.

I constantly had to have my wife explain to me what was going on in the film in relation to the Catholic faith. Looking at the (laughable) reviews here, I imagine most were written by Catholics or the marketing team for the movie.

If your a religious nut, this movie might be for you. If you want to see a good war movie, just rent Saving Private Ryan. Much better action and drama. If your not a Catholic, avoid this movie like the plague.
  • fmremon2 April 2011
    great movie
    "Hi friends, I just saw a movie that will debut in the United States of America: "There Be Dragons. " I'm happy because it explains very well the Eucharist and the priestly ministry instituted by Christ in the first week of April 1982 years ago. I'm just angry that the bad guy is named after my cousin Manuel Torres, it could have been named Dan Moreno. Another question has arisen in me, why have not recorded in Barbastro the years of childhood?. Thanks Practitioners complain that Spanish cinema viewers have no interest in his films and it is difficult to raise money. But a Spanish production, find dragons, is winning before his arrival in the charts. Key: imagination and effort" The film's producer, Mount Santa Fe, has set up a system so far unprecedented in Spain, which has been the unseen, the movie has started engines so that you can almost certainly lead to when to take walk there will be no stopping her.
  • Techvet7 May 2011
    The movie is thought-provoking.
    I would say that the movie is about the choices each one of us makes and their ramifications. Most (all?) of the main characters had one defect or another. Each one handled their main defect differently and this led to different outcomes.

The movie is a bit more violent than I would have expected (you definitely should respect the PG-13 rating regarding your children at the movie) and there was one scene which probably doesn't make much sense unless you know the life of St. Josemaria (similar to complaints people have about the Harry Potter movies making less sense unless you have read the books), but I liked the movie and wouldn't have a problem seeing it again. I really liked the lighting/choreography.

This gives Americans a better glimpse of the Spanish Civil War compared to "For Whom The Bell Tolls" in which Hemingway romanticized the communistic cause. (The fascists had serious issues, but they were the lesser of two evils and weren't running around killing priests and nuns.)
  • va_eer19 February 2012
    This movie is mis-titled...
    "There Be One Draggin' Movie" is more like it... I respect the tragedy of the Spanish Civil War and the hatred for Franco but pullllllease... get to the point... I don't want to feel EVERY bullet... the ones that should have been meant for me.... ugh!

I liked that the film reflected the pain, confusion, and agony of war but it's not the first time something has been made of the topic... the movie goes on and on and on switching between battles scenes, treachery, religious strength and doubt, love... thank God for no cheap sex scenes... maybe I just don't get it but the wringing of hands can only be put up with for so long... and NOT for two hours.... aaaaaargh!