User Reviews (17)

• Numberis611 April 2021
    A crime, show and documentary about vile women from present to the 18th century who committed family murder, nursery killer and serial killers from all around the world from various years.

It's an interesting historical and crime show. It's like many others however its solely about women. The production is creative in the way they use actors to reenact scenes.

Overall a nice show to sit through once in a rare while. Too much can make you feel weird.

What can be learned? She's Slick

Verdict: She might know where you live, and she may know where you sleep.
    The show is really very addicting. And if you thought the Oxygen show "Snapped" which profiles women of a deadly nature was bad. That is just a cakewalk compared to these women. As they do so many horrible things to people.

Most people that murder are men. But the population really overlooks the ones that are women. As they are not just black widows but also they are ones that murder their spouses to be with their lovers. Or murder to get back at someone.

But still how these women kill as very few, killed when their lives on the line. In one case, where a woman had a husband who was a racist and wanted to commit terrorism and had to kill her abusive bullying husband.

Really how these women kill is surprising and with just how crazy still how they don't think of the consequences until they are thrown in prison for real.
  • shelbythuylinh28 November 2021
    That over in the ID Discovery. In that women that kill for money or that they can't have the person they want. And have to kill their so called nemesis there. There are a lot of crazy ladies out there. But really ex-FBI agent and hostess Candice DeLong is smart and has a wicked sense of humor there.
    All of the murder reconstruction scenes are way to overdramatic
  • tmc-5906421 April 2021
    Bad
    Too short stories; often twisted facts to serve the short story line. By skimming they also miss important details, and lose the empathy. I have seen so many of these episodes and they are so horribly inaccurate, horribly written, and horribly acted.
  • I have always loved true crime, so naturally I fell in love with this show. Female killers aren't a common topic among people like me and are usually brushed under the rug. I found all these cases fascinating. I love how the show is formatted, three stories in one episode. Each one has snippets of the events (acted and dramatised) and clips of a former FBI profiler Candice DeLong. The acting ranges from bad to good but it was never bad enough to take me out of the experience. And I honestly don't care what accents the actors and actresses have, it was filmed in Australia and getting actors with proper accents would have been time consuming. The show isn't perfect though, I find the narration at the beginning pretty cheesy and the events are sometimes so overdramatic I can't take them seriously. Overall a great watch, even if you aren't into true crime.
  • This my favorite true life reenactment style program. And Candice Delong and the other hosts present facts mixed with humor that entertain and enlighten me every episode.
  • The format is great. Each episode includes three dramatisations all on a theme for that episode. Love the dramatisations and the expert opinions. A brilliant binge watch. I worry it could be viewed as a "how to guide".

I understand why they don't show actual photos of living perpetrators, but in many cases it would be possible. Tributes / shots of victims would be good (see BBC's 'Murder in my Family' sketch or photo with the dates of when they lived is quite poignant at the end of the program)

I read in some other reviews that this filmed in Australia - which confirmed a suspicion. Renowned British killers with an Australian accent is a bit odd. .... but we've all seen (or rather heard) our accents being "murdered" by actors from other countries - I guess it's down to budget (British Hugh Laurie in House - from what I've read Americans didn't believe it that he's English - I believe he's rather well paid for it).

Husband's a bit worried ..... I'll keep watching
  • When nothing they show seems 'true' in it's truest sense I was quickly annoyed. they grind these shows on an assembly line it seems. bad actors, sequences of interpretations.. & banal commentary, but no original material.

no emotional engagement not to talk about connections to individuals - i would think these cases are folded out to offer information, perspectives ... but i don''t get any here.
    So I have been watching Deadly Women since 2016 and I have really liked it since day 1 of watching it since I love documentaries about evil crimes and stuff. They explain them all pretty well in almost all of the episodes and they reenact the events really well, some really well that they make the events look very disturbing. And I especially really like Candice DeLong and M. William Phelps being a part of the show, and another woman who I forgot her name. I also really like how some of the women they mention are not 100 percent evil, like Andrea Yates or Kelly Silk etc., but when they include them on the show, Candice and the other woman say that they should spend the rest of their life in a hospital and not a prison, which I agree with them most of the time on the show when they say that about a very sick woman like them who did the crime so they could try and "save them" from a bad future. So while I like this show, I do have some problems with this show as well. Sometimes I wish they would pick actors that look exactly like the killer's or victim's age. Like for example, the Heather D'Aoust episode where they chose a maybe 30 year old woman to play Heather, who is 14 years old at the time of the crime. They didn't have to choose someone who was exactly 14, but maybe they should choose one who is like between 16 to 25 years old for those stories with people younger than 20. Another problem I have is in some episodes, they make a deadly woman worse than they actually are. For example, the Natasha Cornett episode because most of the episodes, the woman kills the victim or victims, and Natasha wasn't the one who shot the victims if you watch other documentaries about her. I mean, she still is evil, but she wasn't the worst of her group. There are plenty of other episodes that do that stuff too but that is the one I can explain most. So yeah, if you like crime shows, check it out! If you don't, then don't.
    Some of the women on this show are evil killers they murder for greed lust or revenge
  • Cant stand candice. Why are there so many ppl like her on tv with their fake faces etc. Its terrible and not normal. So narcissistic always. So sad she is exactly like the people she judges. Somewhere in the narcissistic and sociopathic spectrum or so id guess.
  • warbi_20003 February 2013
    Okay, okay, here is my disclaimer: I am a hardcore true crime junkie. I believe that even someone who is not as "into" true crime as I am will enjoy this show. Each episode is a triptych of women murderers with a certain theme (sometimes a little tenuous). I never realized that there were so many women killers. The series covers murderers from all the way back to the 1700s up to the present. One thing that I wish would be done differently would be to include non-Western murders, but this could be because it is hard to get medical records, coroner reports, eyewitness accounts, interviews, etc... The show is as thorough as it can be. Truly one of my very favorite shows.
  • First off, this series explores a realm where few other true-crime shows fail to tread - the world of female killers. That alone makes this show unique and worth a look. It combines re-enactments (in fact, 100% re-enactments - no actual photos of the perpetrators or victims are ever shown) with interviews with experts such as former FBI profiler Candice DeLong (who appears in every episode) and others related to the cases. Except for a few early episodes, all the cases profiled are from English-speaking countries - the United States, the U.K., Canada, and Australia usually. And the warning at the beginning of each episode should be taken very seriously - the re-enactments are often extremely violent and don't spare the gory details.

The cases profiled run the gamut from women who killed their children (several episodes deal with that subject) to torture slayers to thrill killers to black widows. In fact, the number of episodes dealing with mothers who murder their children is staggering - "Kill Their Own," "The Sacred Bond," "Sacrifice Their Blood," and "Bury Their Babies" to name just a few - and these are often the hardest to watch. Given that the series is still going strong after four years, they have yet to run out of sexy stories about "deadly women." Watching this show can be a real education on some of the most notorious female murderers of all time. It's also extremely addictive and I never miss a new episode.

That said, this show isn't perfect, and there are a few issues I have with it.

First, the narration and the writing in the re-enactments are often needlessly lurid and over-the-top (in earlier episodes, it is less so). When the narrator reads lines like "Children rely on their mother for nourishment, but tonight, Lydia (Sherman) is serving death," I can't help but start giggling, even though the subject matter isn't at all funny.

Second, as I mentioned above, photographs of the perpetrators and their victims are never shown, and although there are occasional black-and-white freeze-frames, these are obviously of the actors and not actual photos of those involved, and this makes it difficult to take the show seriously at times and robs it of some authenticity, if that makes any sense. There are times when the actors look nothing at all like the real people, as was the case with Beverley Allitt, the British nurse who was jailed for murdering four infant children in the early 1990s.

Third, this show is made in Australia, which means the roles in the dramatizations are all played by Australian actors. Obviously this isn't a problem for stories that took place in Australia, but when it comes to stories that took place in the United States, where the dialect of English spoken is quite different, it can, again, be a problem in terms of authenticity/believability. The scripts contain a lot of Australian-isms that Americans wouldn't say - such as using the word "tart" to describe a man's mistress, or using the word "bashing" to describe a beating - and the actors do varying jobs of hiding their Australian accents, which some (like Andrew Fritz, who is actually an American living in Australia) do remarkably well while others don't even try. I feel if they wanted to use non-American talent to save costs, they should have used Canadian actors for the American and Canadian cases. On the other hand, the acting itself is usually very good and the actors themselves (aside from the occasional failure to hide the Australian accent when needed) are talented, and the actresses portraying the "deadly women" usually do a very good job of making the subject seem extra scary (see Susan Eubanks and Tillie Gburek).

Now it may seem like I'm really ragging on this show, but as I said, despite its faults, it's extremely addictive and even more than a little educational. The interview segments with forensic pathologist Janis Amatuzio are particularly interesting, as one can learn all kinds of interesting things about the human body and how it reacts to certain things that are done to it.

Despite the occasional "tabloid"-ish nature of some of the stories and occasional credibility issues based on the production values, and despite what I feel is occasionally an over-reliance on violence and gore, this is an engaging and entertaining show, and a fun way to pass an evening. Never before has the subject of female killers seemed so enticing. However, it's not recommended for the weak of stomach.
  • ofp-467459 January 2020
    One of the best series!!I want more and more episodes!!!Thanks!!
  • I love this show been watching it for years now only complaint I would have is Candance delong bias treatment and statements she makes about ppl of color other then that I love the show.
  • Everyone looks for men to murder,but what about women? Young girls and teenage girls do it to, this show is real and makes you wonder what the women were thinking. I didn't realize how many women murderers are out there, some kill their own kids, some their husbands/boyfriends, some their friends or parents, some even random strangers. Women can be just as cruel and heartless as men can, and Deadly Women proves it. Some women kill because of jealousy, money, love, or because they have mental problems, my favorites are the women who kill for power. This show features a criminal psychologist who gives you insight to what the women were going through or feeling, and different ways their murders could have been prevented.