User Reviews (145)

• A lot of reviews here have really derided this show for being completely unrealistic, cheesy, and boring, and have basically labeled it "Grey's Anatomy in Space." I highly disagree. I address some of the concerns below:

1) Some reviews make the problem with the show one of being unrealistic. First off, IT'S A SCIENCE FICTION SHOW SET IN THE FUTURE. Who is really worrying about realism? And if you are, how can you worry about what's realistic when we have absolutely no way of knowing what is real IN THE FUTURE? Plus, it's simply TV...if you want realism, watch the discovery channel, or go visit Cape Canaveral in Florida, don't come looking for it on a show on ABC.

2) One previous review comments about the female Hispanic astronaut attempting to teach in space via video communication, and how she switched in and out of Spanish when talking. I kind of got offended at that review, as they said that she was simply making up random, nonsense words in Spanish when talking. I'm a native Spanish speaker, and all of what she was saying made complete sense. Second, why is the concept of multilingual teaching so hard to accept? The show is set 41 years in the future, and at the rate Hispanics are growing in this country, Spanish is fast becoming a critical secondary language in the US. Not to mention, various educational programs via the internet are doing the same thing, so it is far from nonsensical. It's simply a very bigoted view.

3) Before making assumptions about the show, or passing judgment on it, watch the episodes available from start to finish. Many concerns about plot holes are addressed in subtle ways that someone not taking any effort to pay attention to the show, and instead use it as mindless background noise, would definitely miss.

4) Yes, I understand the whole "why is there a music video in the middle of the show" concern. There are a couple of points where the show uses a musical "interlude" during emotional/emotion-evoking scenes. The question is, how else would you like them to show the love between a husband and wife, or the thrill of beginning space exploration? By talking about it? By cheesy dialog between the characters trying to say something of deep meaning, but not succeeding? Please. The show tried to appease individuals looking for that sort of thing by the whole "astronaut video diary" scenes. By the way, the scenes in question are about 6-7 minutes out of a 45 minute show. Get over it.

5) This isn't Star Trek. It isn't Star Wars. It isn't your typical science fiction set really far in the future, where anything and everything is possible. It's a show about what space exploration COULD BE like sometime in the next half century, but that doesn't mean that it's how things WILL be. People who have problems with this seem to think that space travel is either via Space Shuttle, or by the Starship Enterprise, and nothing in between. Keep your mind open.

It's a nice change of pace from medical drama shows, legal/police drama shows, "teen angst" shows, and family comedies. It's something a bit different. Plus, only two episodes have aired (both of which were pretty good when you simply sat back and enjoyed it for what it was worth, rather than trying to nit-pick apart the show for every little thing). There's plenty of the show ahead, so give it some time. Plot lines take time to develop and get better.

Obviously, not everyone likes every show. I know that there are definitely shows that I've despised through the years, and I'm sure everyone has their own shows that they feel that way about. All I'm saying is, watch the show, give it a chance, and allow it to be its own show, not something else that it's not, but that you or someone else would like it to be because you were comfortable with the previous show. Additionally, Ron Livingston is the man, so there's always that.
  • utopia149 August 2009
    "Defying Gravity doesn't" and other brilliant witticisms I've found in the press have compelled me to write this review.

I'm not sure what it is people expect from network drama. Are the physics poorly explained? Yeah. Is NASA really full of sexy astronauts that all happen to be dating each other? No.

But seriously people, is that what we want television to be? This may come as a shock, but ER, Grey's, House, etc. don't exactly approximate what it's like to be a doctor but a lot of people love those shows for what they are: entertainment.

There's a lot of excitement in this show. It actually reminded me of Armageddon. Romance, drama, secrets, and space. It's not the Soprano's, but there's definitely room for shows like this on my Tivo.
  • Donut-7711 August 2009
    I really enjoyed the pilot and 2 episodes so far. I'm a Sci-Fi nut to start off with and my heads been in the stars since I was a kid, so when they start another space based TV show I'm all in.

Ron Livingston is a great actor and makes a fantastic lead in this futuristic space epic. His character is serious, yet relaxed, which I think makes him more likable. The other characters are slowly developing, but all seem to have their own side stories, which for most people will make the show.

Regarding the ship, they really put thought into the possible future techs that could be reality. The ship is definitely more realistic to what might be our first long term spaceship. Built sort of like the International Space Station, put together by component modules, it's long, cylindrical, and not light-speed. I'm sure we'll learn more about the ship as time goes on, but for now they've not really focused on it much. What we do know is that the ship has mysteries. There is a force that's guiding the ship, its crew and their mission to explore the solar system. Who or what this force is has left us guessing.

Overall, the show is off to a good start. It's got it's drama, suspense, and intrigue. Here's to hoping this one stays on the air for a long time!
  • Okay, so I also agree that it is hard to conceive of how the producers will keep this alive given the trajectory of this program, but is the program really that bad? The sexuality between characters: were men to take horribly long space engagements it is believable that a level of sexuality might be tolerated; it is human nature after all. Suppress it for 6 years, I think not.

I like this show, and am enjoying it. I can't think of anything better to watch on television, really. My greatest fear is that like the X-Files, it will come to a speeding cataclysm of a wreck, with poor writing and insufficient funds. The problem is not in the drama, or the relationships. The problem is in maintaining Nielsen ratings, where more and more outrageous plot twists are added to attract viewers, which can be fun, but never realistically brought to a coherent conclusion.

I think folks should give this one a chance, but given their short attention, I'm fairly certain they will not. Just keepin' it real, monkeys.
  • The first things I noticed about this series, of course, were the good acting and great CG effects. Then the funny stuff started happening - contemporary clothing and cars over forty years in the future, astronauts who wouldn't have made it past a preliminary interview, trite dialogue, made-up technical details like faster-than-light instant communication from Venus, and General-Hospital plots.

I feel badly for everybody involved with this series other than James Parriott. The people and the sets are very pretty. The music cues us to laugh when the comic relief arrives. We get long music videos twice an episode. For the most part sexual innuendo is completely skipped because it's too subtle - the characters talk constantly about sex because the writers don't know what else astronauts would talk about. The editors gave us lots of long, pregnant moments to give us time to consider the incredible implications of every emotionally charged moment. We're even given lots of "Let's do this" and "when you do this thing that we do" dialogue to remind us that we're watching true heroes, in case we've forgotten. And every episode ends with an honest-to-god "You see, Timmy..." eternal lifetruth.

Admittedly, the plot holes are sometimes pretty large, but that's normal for TV, right?

The whole problem here is that audiences are sometimes too smart. This series should be a rich emotional and philosophical stew but it's really a bowl of thin watery gruel. The "Grey's Anatomy" female demographic doesn't get enough to satisfy, and the sci-fi crowd gets what's left over after the bowl has been licked clean. Without women and sci-fi fans there weren't enough people left to watch this series, and that's too bad for everybody. It's especially bad for anybody who wants to make a sci-fi series for a major network in the near future, because this one will make it tough.

There's a quote from James Parriott that I think is worth including here. "I was reading in The New Yorker how stock market swings follow Pi, the fractal equation. And that's sort of a scary thing, that it just moves. You can plot the right dips and curves that it does indeed move fractally, and that just blows me away. There's just tons of stuff we don't know."

This quote explained loads to me. The problem is that Parriott didn't understand what he was reading, and he got it completely garbled, *and then, being a TV guy, he based a new TV series on his garbled version of what he thought he'd read.* Oh no.

Now, for those who haven't seen Parriott's reveal of where the series would have gone next season, I'll summarize (and no, I'm not making this up):

• Nadia turns into a man. - Donner's vasectomy reverses itself for the second time, so does Zoe's hysterectomy, and he gets her pregnant. - Wassenfelder becomes autistic, making him extra, extra smart, because everybody knows autistic guys are extra, extra smart. - Arnel loses his leg in training, forcing them(?) to recall Zoe. - Jen is forced to kill her bunny in order to have the guilt necessary to see the "fractal objects". - Eve realizes she's supposed to be on the ship, so they put her on a "resupply mission". - Rollie goes to jail again, but when it's necessary to get Eve to Mars Rollie leaves town in a big way. - Goss realizes the "fractal objects" made him a bad guy. - We never find out what the "fractal objects" are, or in fact, what makes them "fractal objects", because frankly, I'm a math guy, and I didn't see no "fractal objects". - Sharon and Walker may still be alive on Mars, but that wasn't completely decided.

There's some good news about all of this that means a lot to me, even though it probably won't mean much to most people. This series has cured me of television for a while. And, as the script writers say, that's a Good Thing.
  • This show appears to be another evolving mystery like Lost. Right away, we are presented with a plausible near-future scenario. Yet, there are obvious hints that something of earthshaking extraordinary significance is lurking in the shadows.

The acting is acceptable. The characters seem too capricious for astronauts, but I say this with reservation. When Lisa Marie Nowak made her cross-country trip in a diaper, the image of the cool-headed, courageous professional was somewhat tarnished.

Their justification for filming primarily in a one gravity environment is a bit embarrassing. Star Trek's gravity plating would have been too advanced for this show, but the explanation they settled on is too problematic. It would have been better if they had adopted a revolving habitat like the space station in Kubrick's 2001. In their defense, they probably rejected a revolving habitat so that they could have more inspiring views through the ship's windows. In that case they should have adopted a ship that was constantly accelerating at one gravity. Then, they would only have to justify the large power requirements. They couldn't have the casual view back to earth, but they must sacrifice something in the way of art to make a show that will sit well with their presumed audience.

I definitely intend to follow Defying Gravity. The recent debut of the sigh-fie channel's noxious Warehouse 13 left me wanting. Perhaps this will make up for that disappointment.
  • HMVincent15 September 2009
    I had no expectations for this show. I'd never heard of it till the week before its eighth (and maybe last) episode. I have no television: I watch shows online. I was looking for something with Ron Livingston in it, after watching "Band of Brothers".

The science and junior-high atmosphere are ridiculous, of course, but I enjoy the slow pace and the wonderment of space. In one narration Donner says, "How the hell did I get here?" I think, if I were aboard Antares as a trained astronaut, I would wonder how I got there, often. After an all-hands meeting, Mintz suggests that they take a moment to remember where they are, then he lowers the light so that they may gaze on Earth and the Moon. That was a nice moment. I think I would alternate between gazing in awe at what surrounds the ship, and cringing in fear at what DOESN'T surround the ship: air.

The mystery of Beta is lovely. I don't care what it is, it's enough that it makes it okay to add weirdness to the story. I'm not familiar with Laura Harris, but she is a lovely and talented actress, and makes a nice foil to Livingston's Donner. Livingston does an extraordinary job, particularly when he reacts with fear and confusion to his hallucinations.

The episodes have improved as the show progresses. At this writing the show has stopped after episode eight, and may not resume. I will be sorry not to see the remainder of the season.
    Fellow Sci-Fi dorks out there...

Calm your nerd rage. Oh no, the show is not realistic. At this point I would quote one of founders of the sci-fi genre, Arthur C. Clarke. Any sufficiently advanced technology appears as magic to those who don't possess it or understand it.

I literally just read a comment where in the same sentence, someone criticized this show based on a lack of time-delay in radio communications, but then went on to talk about traveling at the speed of light and time distortion.

If you want realism sci-fi Fans, then I hate it to break it to you, but all of our "classic" series and movies need to go to a trash can immediately.

Star Trek. Oh yeah. That was realistic. Watch an old episode with anyone who has any kind of science training and watch the look on their face during techno-babble sessions. You seem to accept transporters, warp drive, food replication, made-up minerals and real-time communication in that setting with ease, but not here.

The new BSG, which many people (including myself) love. Heck, they don't even bother with the explanations on this show on purpose (show creator Ron Moore has been quoted as demanding no Star Trek techno babble scenes on this one). You have some kind of "jump" system for traveling in space (ala Dune almost, traveling without moving), real-time communication over vast differences, an endless supply of alcohol and booze, etc. Not to mention the contradictions. (The 13th tribe leaves a probe with a virus, which makes the Cylons sick and die, except a season later we find out the 13th tribe was cylons. my head hurts just contemplating it) Star Wars. Don't think I need to explain the science holes here, anyone who paid attention in elementary school can figure these out. Fire and sound in space. Light speed. Lightsabers.

I could go on and on, but I think my point is made. ALMOST ALL science fiction is unrealistic. That's part of the point. Even movies/shows that were somewhat realistic (2001, 2010 for example, the science in them is fairly sound)have the element of unknown, of unrealistic (the monolith).

As for why the baseball doesn't move, and why the ship has rotating parts even though their suits have the nano-things, that comment from someone made me laugh. They criticize the show for a lack of realism and then criticize it for having a ship move.

Follow this logic with me, OK? For the "real science" lovers out here, I thought this part of the show would have made them happy.

The suits have nano-like fibers built in that pull to the deck, thus enabling the crew to be a lot more productive, moving around in a familiar 1g environment.

But biologically, their bodies would still react over the long-term as if in a zero-g environment. The suit is pulled to the floor, that is still not gravity, that just lets you function as if there is cause all your clothes are being pulled down to the floor. The only way to use these "nano fibers" to do that would be directly embedding them throughout each astronaut's body.

Right before one of the diaries, in fact a lot of them, they show clips of the spinny parts of the ship.

Logically, one way to help battle long-term zero-g environment problems in this situation could be : "let's have their sleeping quarters be in the spinny part; in theory then every astronaut has 6-8 hours per day of being in a "real" gravity environment, thus helping combat zero-g related problems over a long-term. Keeping your astronauts under actual gravity for a third of their time would help greatly. Really, I was surprised the science patrol missed that and instead criticized it.

Point is this show may be somewhat unrealistic (more realistic then a lot of other sci-fi shows they, the way they actually talked about launch windows, planet alignment, how it would be 6 years before another launch opportunity. When's the last time you saw that in a show? "sorry Captain Picard, but our launch window doesn't come up for another 5 hours..."), but I think it's holding it's own atm. Pretty interesting, a slight nod to science but more focus on what it would be like to be one of these astronauts.

And oh yeah, for those who argue, argue, and argue against the relations between astronauts. Couple of points.

A lot, and I mean a LOT (read MOST here, formerly all, Neil Armstrong was one of the only civilians in the Apollo program for example, almost all the rest were Navy/Air Force pilots), of astronauts are former military personnel, often test-pilots or other high-risk type jobs. Try to tell me with a straight face that a bunch of pilots from the Navy and Air Force don't try to get around, especially after being told your an astronaut, your one of the best, etc....

As for the crew not being the best or qualified, they actually bring that up in the show, it has to do with "beta", whatever the heck it is, they keep saying it chose people, they wanted to wash them out, etc...
    I do not have a physics degree. Of the many scientific inaccuracies, the only one that really pops to my mind was the almost comical handwave of why, with their spiffy nanoclothes, their hair wasn't affected by zero gravity (it's NANO HAIRSPRAY, because perfect hair is Just That Important).

No, I'm not here to complain about the (admittedly laughable) science.

There are two shows contained in one. The first show is a highly interesting one about a space mission where Things Go Really Wrong And It's A Big Mystery. That's INTERESTING, you are always wondering what's going to happen next, what could the solution be?

Then there's the other show, a drippy pointless melodrama about people training for This Big Mission, and who is screwing who, and who gets pregnant, and endless drama. There is a plot point: One of the characters got pregnant, and then got an abortion. Another crew member was the father. They go on about it, episode after episode. It's not alone either, there are enough for any soap opera. (The maker revealed, by the way, that had the series continued, we would have learned that one of the female characters was abandoned as a little girl, baby astronaut has a mysterious Space Pregnancy, and still *another* lady astronaut is actually a Man). It goes on, boring hour after boring hour.

Guess which show makes up 90% of this one?

It's infuriating because I would have really loved to see how the Actual Plot went, but no, half of every episode is flashbacks (or more, no exaggeration at all), forty percent is them angsting over the flashbacks, and ten percent is Real Plot.

It amounts to the most frustrating shows I've seen. The worst part is, if they just said 'she got pregnant with his baby and then got an abortion' in one episode, if they had one episode devoted to a character or little snippet about them, if they introduced the characters properly, it might actually work. They don't so it doesn't.
  • desertsunflower9916 August 2009
    Pray ABC keeps this one on board. It's already an interesting drama/sci-fi/mystery and I'm really wanting to know who (I really suspect it's a "what") Beta is: the one that makes major decisions for the human astronauts but has remained in shadow so far...The cast is excellent and well seasoned (I do not mean old!) -- this automatically lends a trusted measure of character to the series. I rarely watch anything on a regular basis - but I have remembered to view "Defying Gravity" every week... and if you want to know the overall 'climate' of my other IMDb comments check the other posts attached to my account - always a good idea around here (O; .
    I just don't understand. Programs like Defying Gravity, Firefly, and others, that highlight the highs and lows of the human condition get canceled, but shows that revel in the dysfunction of people get renewed for a decade.

I would have loved to see how the story progresses. What happens to the crew as they make their grand tour of the solar system. Find out how Beta and Gamma interact and affect the crew. How Zoe was changed by her ordeal. How Arnel lost his leg. Why Jen can't see Beta or Gamma. Who (or what) is Nadia. And what will happen when all of "them" have been retrieved and are finally together.

Maybe a pogrom against ignorant, shallow broadcast executives is necessary.
  • I really wanted to like this one, but that was before i actually saw the episodes. My initial disappoint was that even though this is being billed as science fiction, there's no science in it unless you count name-dropping 'nanotechnology' every time there's something the writers can't explain - like the hair spray that causes hair to hang down in zero gravity. On top of that, it's not even futuristic: people in 2052 wear the same clothes, use the same cell phones, etc. as people in 2008.

What this is at the core is a soap opera. Apparently some committee decided that they could appeal to all viewers by copying parts of different genres and pasting them together at random. There's the relationship dramas cloned from "Grey's Anatomy", a space ship (uh, wait, make that a HAUNTED space ship), some action, some hints about a conspiracy by the powers that be, and occasional reminders of baseball. It may as well have been called "Defying Logic". Is it even remotely plausible that a multi billion dollar space agency would pick a bunch of astronauts for a six year mission whose personalities are absolutely guaranteed to clash?
  • jinxta6 August 2009
    I've just finished watching the first 2 episodes, and I must say, I was intrigued.

It's set in a near future (2052), and a team of astronauts are suiting up for what is going to be the trip of a lifetime; A 6 year journey through our solar-system, visiting all the inner & outer planets, and gathering as much information about our galactic neighborhood & scientific data as they can whilst they're out there..at least, those are the official mission-objectives. We are introduced to an unknown factor, a person or entity (Beta), who/which is somehow manipulating the mission, and known about by the higher ups, but never mentioned. Only the mission commander has been fully briefed and instructed to brief the crew, only after they've arrived at Venus.

It has somewhat of a "Lost"-vibe, in that it's very character driven and mysterious. However, this can be a bad thing..I personally lost interest in Lost, because of exactly that fact; There were too many questions, and the answers only brought up more questions & were not to my satisfaction to begin with. I hope Defying Gravity will not be taking the same route, because it definitely has potential.
  • I though this was the perfect amalgamation of science fiction and drama absolutely disappointed that the story never ended. I watched it not realising that it was a cancelled series. Definitely deserved to be continued
    This is drivel.

Just look at the clichés. Everything in it is a cliché. From the man with a shameful episode in his past ( such a cliché already thirty years ago that it was the key joke in one of the Airplane movies ) to the newly spaceborne astronauts taking viewers on a camera tour of their vessel.

The main problem as with every such TV show that has ever been made is that it bears no relation whatever to the realities of spaceflight. The idea of sending Humans to such places as Venus is utterly preposterous. To land a crew there...several tons pressure per square inch and hot enough for lead to flow like water, that the physical constraints would make it pointless if not actually impossible.What would they do in Venusian orbit they cannot from Earth. What would be the point? Six planets in six years, doh! Utterly preposterous. It would take nearly two years to reach Mars alone.

The space-vessel as it is shown betrays a complete ignorance of engineering principles. The spacesuits look like they are from a fancy-dress shop. The behaviour of the astronauts is absurd ( in one shot the women are portrayed as like giggling schoolgirls, in another shot a man on EVA is clutching and peering into an engine nozzle...doh ). They might as well portray the correct vehicles...the Orion CEV in development now and its Ares booster, to be test-flown next week, would still be in operation in the time-frame depicted, so why cant they be shown instead of the completely fictional machines that we see. Presumably because the writer knows nothing whatever about the subject and is stuck in the era when he wrote "Six Million Dollar Man".

This is reflected in that daft idea of a quick six year flit round the planets. When the logical setting for this "drama" ( sans drama ) would be the lunar systems of either Saturn or Jupiter, where there are innumerable settings for exploration and adventure. But the writer would have to actually have to know something about astronomy or space exploration in order to avail himself of such a possible setting. Instead, we are here given a load of tired old outdated terminology like "pods" this and "pods" that. And the most ridiculous excuse for the obvious lack of weightlessness I've ever heard...the crew are kept on the floor by nano-bots, pleeease! But if so, why does the ship need centrifuges as well? Presumably the "designer" has seen them somewhere before and stuck them on his "ship" without even knowing what they are or are for. Certainly without realising that the centrifuge modules are a full ninety degrees misorientated to the mast.

Still, lets not get technical, spaceflight is only the most technical setting a TV maker can put characters into, so you have to allow them to cover their ignorance with visual waffle.

So there is this "international" crew with a token Indian. The reality is that any manned missions even remotely ambitious in the future are almost certainly going to be ENTIRELY Indian or Chinese affairs. The US will be lucky if they can ever afford to get back to the moon. India and China are the only nations motivated to sustain manned space exploration in the longer term. Don't take my word for it, check out the encyclopedia astronautica.

At every turn, more clichés. The darkly hinted hidden agenda "would they go if they knew?" Arguments about authority, rank, status, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. When TV science fiction doesn't pretend to be "realistic",giving us flights of sheer fantasy ( Aurora or Farscape ) it is at least entertaining. But as soon as they try to be "realistic" it ends up a bunch of boring hack and never even remotely based on anything in reality.

This programme is a case in point.
  • Don't get me wrong - this series might get its followers as it has all the ingredients required for being emotionally involved without the need of brain use. But I can't stand this kind of BS anymore:

• Writers who get by without proper research, without even the slightest knowledge of what they are talking about (Hello! This is supposed to be astronomy, space flight, not a high-school setting);

• The consequential depiction of immature characters (astronauts? Forget it!) that struggle with the same old same old interpersonal problems and act like clueless teenagers, persons I wouldn't care to know;

• Abortion is illegal? A series that doesn't criticize this vehemently, or even condones it? A very good indication that the producers want to keep you in line, impose on you their ideological prison;

• And last but not least: the voice-over by one of the characters near the end of the episode, soaked in some smooth indistinguishable pubertal music, secreting some pseudo-wisdom that isn't even suitable for teenagers.

All in all, forgettable, unimportant stuff that is produced intentionally to keep you drugged with "entertainment", dumb, and numb. Time to wake up, turn off your TV and do something refreshing: take a long summer evening walk with someone, lie on a blanket in the park, or read a good book. It could even be science-fiction.
  • I am admittedly a tech geek, but I do not expect "Science Fiction" to be "Science Fact". I like the current day look of the set, since the Antares has the same "flavor" of the ISS, but on a larger scale.

My only negative on the show was in the case of the Antares crew's "visions" which initially gave me the impression that the show was going to be an apparent Ghost story. But the "lapses", are apparently flashbacks to an earlier mission, at first I thought "Oh No here we go...'Poltergeists in space'", but thankfully that was not the case, or so I believe, only future episodes will show what that is going to become.

The wardrobe looks great, so far, the special effects are believable and overall, I give "Defying Gravity" two thumbs up, as a great near future Sci Fi show. Believable special effects combined with a bit of mystery and suspense and of course some comedy.
  • I just dragged myself through the first 2 ghastly episodes of this meager excuse for entertainment in the idle belief that it would soon drop the sexual antics of the characters, the really laughable attempts to present scientific ideas and the juvenile screen writing. But it really only got worse as it went along.

If you would list the many absurdities they managed to cram into the pilot alone, as someone graciously did in his review here on IMDb, one could have the idea that Defying Gravity is a Screwball Comedy: -Space Balls, the series-. But there won't be any laughs I'm afraid; apart from a clenching face-palm gesture, the only physical reaction you'll notice is the urge to throw your remote control into your television set. At best.

What's especially sad is that when you look at this series without sound, it has all the hallmarks of a very decent scifi mystery. The CGI is quite passable and the overall image is crisp and pleasing to the eye. Another benefit of watching this series without the sound on, is that you don't have to listen to the cheesy kiddy-pop musical interludes, which drone in whenever there's some contemplation going on amongst the crew. Contemplations about the most corny cod philosophical nonsense one wouldn't even think about featuring in a poor episode of an even worse season of Grey's Anatomy (of which this is obviously a spin off).

The writing of this vomit inducing ABC crap really only defies comprehension. At what age group exactly was this targeted? I guess the answer to that question will be lost in the same void as the future of this pitiful series is rapidly disappearing into. If this lasts more than 1 season, I'd be really surprised. Who on God's Grey Earth would want to watch a bunch of 'scientists' with the mental capacity of your average sex-obsessed adolescent engage on a 6 year! mission to a planet named after the Roman goddess of love? They had better called it 'As Venus Turns', a more suitable title for sure.

Seriously, who writes this crap and still calls it his job?

• I have heard some of the bad press surrounding this television show, and I cannot understand it.

The show is set in the near future, where a group of astronauts are visiting the nearby planets in our solar system, with an added twist.

There is a lot of the show that is not realistic, but it is called science -fiction- for a reason, and I like that it is a lot closer to reality than many other pieces of science fiction. It is however very far from normality, of course, but it is the combination of the reality of relationships and the things that would happen down on earth, combined with the fiction on board the ship 'Antares'. However, there is also the realism of the natural gravity, which is a series possibility in space travel and the idea of their 'jump' that means the ship can move through space quickly which may be able to happen. There are so many other links with scientific fact and theories, so don't be too quick to judge without really knowing about astro-science!

It does, in my opinion, take a few episodes to really kick off. It starts out with the introduction of characters and their previous experiences, with detail flashbacks in later episodes to explain the story. I find myself glued to my television set every time I watch an episode, and after watching an episode I am eager to watch more.

The acting is another big positive. All of the cast perform their roles perfectly, and I have found myself gaining a real connection to the characters. Another positive is that the drama is played out so well that when you watch it, you really start to feel the characters emotions.

This show exceeded all of my expectations, and I am happy to say that I am an avid watcher of 'Defying Gravity' now, and will continue to be for as long as the show continues. I would highly recommend this to anyone, but if you like drama TV shows and also like to subject yourself to a dose of fiction (science fiction in this case!), this show is perfect for you!
  • Very poor drama with very poor physics and slow, slow pacing. What can I say? For me Defying Gravity is the worst SF drama ever. It was probably suppose to be a competition to Virtuality but was done even worse than it. I watch many TV series, not only SF ones and never so many stupid and childish behaving people in one show. And they send them to space as astronauts. Oh my! Some people like it - you can see their reviews here. But, common, some people like Brazilian soup operas. Defying Gravity is very close to them. Special effects: don't expect any, there is 500% more flashbacks from Earth than action in space. Physics: forgotten, no delay in communication for example. Drama: very poor, the astronauts are just childish and they behave like teenagers in space.
  • Dimme28 August 2009
    Battlestar Galactica this ain't -- even though it tries so very hard.

I'm a SciFi fan. In stating this, it hardly is worth mentioning that I'm also fairly used to disappointments. The reason Defying Gravity is such a huge disappointment however, it that it *could* have been so much better. There is, in spite of the out-of-nowhere mission to all he planets of the solar system, something at the core of the universe of Defying Gravity that is interesting and worth exploring. After five episodes that interest is all but gone. There is just so much rampant lack professionalism and juvenile idiocy one is willing to accept from characters that are supposed to be "the best of the best". It boils down to bad writing. Incredibly bad writing. The most incredible ting in this particular SciFi-show is not the far fetched depiction of anti-gravity technology, but the sheer level of immaturity and stupidity of the lead characters. Truly a Ship of Fools. From here on, it sails without me watching.
  • ian100017 October 2009
    It reminds me of a terrible BBC show from a couple of years ago about a voyage to the planets, but if anything, this is worse.

Many have commented about the poor science; others say it does not matter. It does. Stargate and Star Trek both have access to incredibly advanced technology, in the former case by being set hundreds of years in our future, the latter by the availability of alien science. Desregarding Gravity is "close to home", so it HAS to be believable. The gravity explanation will go down in sci-fi folklore (along with parsec as a unit of time in Star Wars) but unlike Star Wars nobody will be interested or amused enough to create SNL, Robot Chicken or Family Guy parodies.

This is about to be broadcast by the BBC at prime time, but it has received virtually no promotion; it's also about to be cancelled.

Stuggling to say anything positive, all I can say is that the female cast members are of course beautiful (have a look at some real American female astronauts, decide if it's realistic...) and the CGI is OK, not up to Battlestar Galactica or Stargate standards but it does the job.

Watch an episode if you're curious, but don't make that TV series time investment.
  • I loved this series and I only just home back to watch it. From what I understand it was not as Sci fi for some and not enough drama for others. A great cast and those sets were remarkable. It was very poorly advertised and it just didn't get the widespread attention needed to go into another season. Gutted it didn't. The story being told is one of human nature and our curiosity. How our choices don't just affect ourselves but those decisions ripple out across time affecting many others. I adore this series and wish more could have been made.
  • First I found this show lacking anything worth watching. I would not have watched such dribble except for the fact I was with others at the time and we started to all hate it. Dumb down your audience. That is what this show's all about. They did not try to get the scenes technically correct since all they focus on is the lame soap sex triangle. I cannot speak for others but who's making it with whom, or is she going to keep that baby belongs to the land of oblivious daytime soaps not prime time TV. Fact that this shows writing is officially lost in space. They should phone up Denis Leary or hope they find him on Venus and beg him to come save this show. Space shows should uh be about space. Good aliens or bad ones but least have a better plot than the lives of the cast. I am still wondering why they Picked Venus, I bet is because the writer was thinking Venus the love goddess and that what makes it go with their love triangle.
  • Let me get this straight...In 43 years we'll still be holding 4" long cell phones up to our ears and have computer monitors that are at least twice as thick as the one on my desktop right now,that are attached to big metal posts going to the ceiling? Oh, and we'll still be saying "dude"? This show is typical Canadian low budget, laughable drivel. And did I mention slow? There are very few effects; and the ones that are used are cheesy-a guy sitting on a spacecraft? Give me a break. No explanation is given as to why two astronauts are suddenly summoned to replace two crew members ( maybe they think we'll keep tuning in to find out-I doubt it). This show won't last an entire season(and rightfully so). Skip this one, it's definitely not worth your time.