User Reviews (124)

• Oh yes, this is a chick-flick. One that is a proper showcase to prove Zac Efron has grown up to be a heck of a hunk! Also, you can never, ever find anything to fault with any performance turned in by Blythe Danner. She has been perfect in any role I've ever seen her in, this one is no exception. I have to say that logic does step in and you want, desperately, to say, "Oh for goodness sake, just do what you came to do!" But if that should have happened, it would have ended up a short movie, indeed. There is enough action, romance, gentle humor, wonderful Louisiana scenery, good people, bad people, decent story-line, fine acting.…it's a pretty good movie. Nothing earth-shattering or Oscar-worthy happens here, perhaps, but it's a film I'd recommend and one I enjoyed watching.
  • kgmarra25 April 2012
    There seems to be a consistent trend in the movies based on Nicholas Sparks' romance novels. They all contain sappy clichés and a lack of substance. There are two main elements that are repetitive in these novels: the relationship between two soul mates and the sickness/death of a loved one. From what I've heard, the books are exceptional, however, the movies always fall short.

Logan (Zac Efron) is a marine who serves three tours in Iraq. During the war, he happens to find a photograph of a beautiful girl and "keep safe" is written on the back. Directly after he picks it up, there is an explosion right where he had been standing before he found the picture. Logan asks around, desperately trying to find whose picture it is, but nobody claims it.

Now that he has the picture in his possession, he is invincible and his luck in the treacherous circumstances of war is incredible. After surviving his three tours, Logan is determined to find the girl in the picture to personally thank her for the good luck she brought him. He recognizes a tower in the picture and walks with his German shepherd, Zeus, from Colorado all the way to Louisiana.

Of course, Logan and the woman, Beth (Taylor Schilling), fall deeply in love, but struggle through the conflicts that arise. Sadly, most of this movie is revealed in the trailer, which seems to happen quite often these days.

Zac Efron does a decent job playing the character of Logan, however, he just can't pull off the tough-guy look that is essential in this film. He will always be remembered as Troy Bolton from "High School Musical". In any case, this is a tear-jerking, cheesy movie that most teenage girls would enjoy. It's not terrible, yet nothing special. I give "The Lucky One" a 6 out of 10.
  • In Iraq, the marine Sergeant Logan (Zac Efron) finds the photo of a young woman with the message "Keep Safe X" on the back in the debris of a construction and he keeps it in his pocket. His action saves his life from a mortar fire and he believes that the girl is his guard angel that protects him.

When he returns to Colorado, he has difficulties to adjust to the civilian life with his sister's family and he decides to seek out the woman. Logan researches the landscape and finds that the place is Hamden, in Louisiana, and he walks with his dog Zeus to Hamden.

He discovers that the woman is Beth Green (Taylor Schilling), who is the owner of the Green Kennels with her grandmother Ellie (Blythe Danner). When Logan meets Beth, he is unable to tell the reason why he had traveled to Hamden. She assumes that he wants a job that she had advertised and Ellis gives the job to Logan. Soon Logan befriends Beth's son Ben (Riley Thomas Stewart) and becomes close to the family. But her former husband, Sheriff Keith Clayton (Jay R. Ferguson) does not want to make Logan's life easy.

"The Lucky One" is a sweet and dramatic romance, with pleasant characters. The director Scott Hicks explores the beautiful landscapes with a wonderful cinematography. The plot is very simple and predictable, but the chemistry among Zac Efron, Taylor Schilling, Blythe Danner and the boy Riley Thomas Stewart makes the film worth. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Um Homem de Sorte" ("A Lucky Man")
  • This was the first Nicholas Sparks book I read and I loved it, so I had high hopes for the movie. Like usual the movies are never as good as the books are. For some reason they changed a lot of basic info. Like location. Why change the state? Any way the love making scenes were very good so if you are just going for the romance you won't be disappointed. I think that Zack played Logan well. He had a depth that I didn't expect as an actor even though he didn't have much to work with. It wasn't my favorite movie but it wasn't that bad either. Maybe if you didn't read the book first you might like it better. And for those who haven't read it but liked the movie, you should read it. You will love it.
  • I watched this movie on Memorial Day, and was reminded all over again that freedom isn't free. So if you are a past or present member of any branch of the US Armed Forces, or if your loved one has paid the ultimate sacrifice with their life, fighting for our freedom, please accept my heartfelt thanks.

I LOVED this movie. Everyone did an excellent job with their character – especially with Logan. So much feeling and emotion in his expression and actions, even when no words were needed. I felt like I could see into his very soul. I saw a young man who still can hardly grasp the fact that he has survived 3 tours of war in the middle east, when many of his comrades didn't come home. You can sense the depth of emotion and turmoil, and can easily understand why it was often hard to just find words to express himself. You can see the military training and discipline, the steel resolve to control his reactions, even when harassed by the town bully/ex-husband. There's also loyalty, concern for others, tenderness, selflessness, willingness to work hard – he's the man of every woman's dream!

It's easy to see that Beth is a survivor of an extremely abusive marriage. Even though she's now divorced, she's still not free from the abusive and controlling ex-husband. She's very careful in how she responds or endures his abusive threats, in order to keep him from going into a greater rage… and I cheered for her when she finally found the courage to speak up and take control of her own destiny.

Keith, the ex-husband, is easy to despise, for his hateful, snarly, manipulating character… and yet in the end we saw a little glimpse of good in his soul as well… a little glimpse of what he might have been if he'd only been willing to humble himself and get help much earlier.

I loved the happy ending, I loved the story, and I very much appreciated that the producers kept it clean. I can't wait for the DVD – this is a keeper!!
  • This movie contains eye-candy (Zac Efron) and stunning scenery. It's almost like the director is counting on that to rescue a very weak script. This movie spent over and hour and a half trying to make us "feel" the angst of the main characters but instead I kept wanting to slap them into having some sense. I kept thinking that the actors needed more lines and less music to tell the story. It was melodramatic and entirely predictable. I do not recommend this movie in the theaters unless you have money and time to throw away.

I must add that I was impressed with Zac Efron's acting and also the boy in the movie. I was surprised that Blythe Danner lent her talent to such a weak vehicle but I'm sure there aren't many options for older actresses in this day.
    As romantic dramas go, The Lucky One is pretty thin stuff. It has a workable premise and everything, but the movie can't think of anything to do with itself, so it pads out its running time with one musical montage after another. You know a director has run out of ideas when he puts two different montages in about a span of two minutes apart from each other. The film is based on a book by Nicholas Sparks, who has done much better (and worse) than this. This falls somewhere in the middle.

Our hero is Logan, a Marine fighting overseas as the film begins, and played with wooden indifference by Zac Efron. There's nothing particularly interesting about Logan to begin with. He's handsome, he's noble, he works hard, and that's about it when it comes to his personality. Despite this, Efron could have shown a bit more life in his performance. After a particularly intense battle, Logan spots a photo of a woman lying in the rubble of the battlefield. Lucky thing he found and walked over to that photo, as moments later, a bomb drops where he was standing just seconds ago, killing his comrades. Logan finishes his tour, but is obsessed with discovering who the woman in the picture is, and who it belongs (or belonged) to. He returns home briefly to Colorado to live with family for a while, but when he can't readjust to civilian life, he packs his bags and, with his faithful dog Zeus by his side, decides to walk cross country to search out who the mysterious woman in the photo is.

His travels take him all the way to North Carolina, which is quite an amazing feat to walk all that distance. What's even more amazing is how Logan managed not to get dirty, or even mess up or grow out his hair during those many long months of walking. He arrives at a farmhouse/dog kennel, where it just so happens that the woman in the photo lives and works there. She's Beth (Taylor Schilling), who works at the kennel, is a single mother to her seven-year-old son, Ben (Riley Thomas Stewart), and shares the home with her mother (Blythe Danner, who gives the most interesting performance in the film). Logan means to tell Beth about the photo he found that day, but he just can't bring himself to mention it. Part of this is because of Logan having issues with his own past as a soldier, and part of this is for plot convenience, so that the movie can drag out his secret as long as it can, until it is dramatically appropriate. He takes a job at the kennel, and becomes a natural taking care of the many dogs.

He also starts building a bond with both Beth and her young son. She starts sharing her private hopes and dreams with him, and little Ben starts taking him to the old tree house where he hangs out, which is accessible only by crossing a rickety old bridge over a raging river. As soon as I saw that broken down old bridge, I knew it would collapse at one point - most likely during the intense climax, and during a storm. Sure enough, as the climax approached, those storm clouds started rolling in, and all the central characters started heading for that bridge. Logan also gets to meet Beth's ex-husband, Keith (Jay R. Ferguson), who serves as the town Sheriff as well as the town bully. He's a one dimensional villain who exists solely to push Logan and Beth around, and threaten to take Ben away from them. As a villain, he couldn't be any less subtle if he was wearing a T-shirt at all times that had the words "HI! I'M A SLIMEBALL!" written on it.

The Lucky One is pretty standard stuff as these kind of films go - The central romance between Logan and Beth is nice and all, but the characters don't really have a lot of personality to go with their physical attractiveness. You get the feeling that these two don't have a lot to talk about when they're alone. The movie also has its share of corny romantic lines, such as when Logan tells her, "You deserve to be kissed every hour, every minute, every second of every day", or when he says, "Finding that picture of you on the battlefield was like finding an angel in Hell". Yes, the movie is gooey in its sentimentality, but it never offends. I also enjoyed Blythe Danner's performance. She seems to know what kind of a movie she's stuck in, and has a little fun with it, delivering some much needed sarcasm and wit in her performance. It's no wonder I found her the most interesting character, she's the only one who gets to act like a real person.

The movie was directed by Scott Hicks (No Reservations), who's done some films I've admired, but seems to be cashing a paycheck here. I don't blame him for wanting to take it easy once in a while, but I wish he had picked a more interesting script. I can't really picture The Lucky One being a very memorable romantic weepie, but hey, I said the same thing about The Vow, so what do I know?
  • Really? The Lucky One? I'm the one who's lucky to have a fast forward button.

Lame. Its one of those "I'm dancing in the water and the sun is in my hair and oooooh I look so happy while lovely music plays in the background, I'm so carefree and joyful". Vomit.

A film made completely of "romantic" montages. Another film that has basically no storyline, or a storyline so flat they try to jazz it up with background music and hope that people won't notice.

Boring, boring, boring.

Oh how convenient for you that you knew the road to walk to her house, how convenient you get a job there, how convenient she's wearing hot pants.

Dull with a capital D.
    Whoever The Lucky One was meant to be, it certainly wasn't me.

If you've read any of Nicholas Sparks' novels (I haven't) or suffered, sorry, seen any of the film adaptations (Message in a Bottle, The Notebook etc.) then you'll understand the formula: Woman in need of love meets man but an obstacle (death, another woman/man etc.) bars their way to rumpy pumpy and never-ending happiness but something will occur (argument, misunderstanding, accident etc.) resulting in the death or change of heart of the cause of the obstacle and the opportunity for the heartthrob to prove his prowess and win the girl.

If that was a plot spoiler for you, you evidently didn't watch the trailer (the entire film in 30 seconds – and better for it!) and deserve only to watch such turgid, pox-ridden flicks as Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.

There are no surprises in The Lucky One other than how utterly predictable the plot and outcome are and how thoroughly stereotypical and two-dimensional the principal characters turn out to be. Oh, I suppose I was marginally surprised at how a young man who essentially stalks the sister of a dead soldier is able to turn that into a plus point… Scott Hicks, who deservedly won plaudits for Shine and then ripped the hearts out of the adaptations for two superb novels (Snow Falling on Cedars and Hearts in Atlantis), again directs with a join-the-dots approach with similar results: Yes, you'll know what the picture is supposed to be but you won't want to frame it and hang it over the fireplace.

I don't dislike the film because it's a rom-com, I dislike it because it's a really badly made rom-com. It's certainly no Notting Hill and doesn't even reach the dizzy first-floor heights of Hicks' own The Boys Are Back.

The presence of Blythe Danner should be a plus point (and trust me, we need every plus point we can find in this offering), but she's been written another predictably fanciable, quirky grandma role who is too beautiful, too 'wise', too absolutely perfect to be realistic or engaging. Zac Efron's heartthrob marine, Logan, is equally unbelievable; a good-looking, almost perfect, animal-loving, child-adoring, non-judgemental, placid, mechanic, painter, pianist who just happens, let's not forget, to be an obsessive stalker!!! What's lovable or dependable about that? Taylor Schilling is as bland as Beth, as Jay R. Ferguson is paint-by-numbers bad as ex-husband/pantomime villain. It's barely worth saying much more about them lest the venom I spit corrodes my teeth on the way out.

Stuff happens. All the stuff you know is going to happen happens. The holes are big enough to swallow entire ranches. Nothing is fully thought out or explained, everything ties up neatly and you'll either leave the cinema in love with the pastel world of Hollywood's schmaltziest minds or you'll escape to the car park just about in time to vomit on your shoes without ruining the carpet.

I need a new pair of Ted Bakers.
    If you read the book you will notice some huge differences, but I was expecting that going in as Hollywood does it to every book adaptation known to man. This movie won't win any Oscars, but it's a sweet romantic movie that will brighten your day and make you feel there are still some good guys left in this world.

I thought the performances were great. As the Logan character in the book didn't have much dialogue neither did he in the movie and I thought Zac Efron did amazingly well conveying his emotions through facial and body movements. I will say I think Taylor Schilling lacked performance wise, but she did gain steam toward the end of the film.

I gave this movie a 9/10 because I wanted sappy romance and I got it with some extra steamy Zac Efron.
    Faithful readers will know that film adaptations of Nicholas Sparks novels aren't exactly my cup of tea. I enjoy a good romance as much as the next person, but I've found his particular style to be predictable, soppy, and emotionally manipulative. With that in mind, I find myself in the position of reviewing his newest adaptation, "The Lucky One." While hardly recommendable, it is admittedly better than I thought it was going to be. It has all the reliable hallmarks of a Nicholas Sparks story – a Southern setting, a sudden love between perfect strangers, characters with troubled histories, outside forces that threaten the blossoming relationship, a sentimental conclusion – and yet it worked just a little harder at allowing me to see past its contrivances. It wasn't hard enough, but progress is progress.

It begins in Iraq, where a U.S. marine named Logan Thibault (Zac Efron) is on his third tour of duty. The night after an ambush, he spots something gleaming in a pile of rubble. It's a photo of a young woman. When it's determined that it belongs to none of the surviving soldiers, Logan claims it as his own, carrying it around with him for the next seven months. He has no idea who the woman is, but it seems she's keeping him alive while others around him die. In a sudden flash, we see him back at home in Colorado, where it's clear he has a touch of PTSD. He reunites with his sister and nephews, finds he can relate to none of them, and decides to track down the woman in the photo so that he can thank her. A distinct lighthouse in the background is just enough for him to discover that she lives in Louisiana.

And so, with his dog by his side, he journeys from one state to the other. The astounding thing is that he walks the entire way. At no point does the film make clear how long the journey takes, and it never explains how he had the means to rest at night and feed both himself and his dog. Never mind; his travelling is conveniently summed up with a few simple shots edited together in a brief montage. His destination in Louisiana is a family-run dog kennel/training school. It's here that he finally meets the woman in the photo. Her name is Beth (Taylor Schilling), a former full-time elementary school teacher and a single mom. She lives with her grandmother (Blythe Danner), who, despite having suffered a minor stroke, can always be counted on to educate young people with her years of wisdom.

Through a series of verbal misunderstandings, Logan doesn't get the chance to tell Beth why he's really there. She believes he's responding to her want ad for help. She initially doesn't trust him, and indeed, how can you trust a man that walked all the way from Colorado to Louisiana? Her grandmother, on the other hand, is far more accommodating and hires him on the spot. He proves himself to be an incredibly diligent worker. "Does he have an off button?" Beth asks disapprovingly. "I hope not," her grandmother responds playfully. In due time, Logan befriends Beth's son Ben (Riley Thomas Stewart) and makes an enemy out of Beth's ex-husband, a cop named Keith (Jay R. Ferguson). Hot-headed, jealous, controlling, and possessive, Keith might as well have been named Rick with a silent P.

I'm aware that movies like this exist primarily for entertainment, so I won't bother pointing out how unlikely it is that Logan and Beth could fall in love under these particular set of circumstances – or at all, for that matter. But inevitably, they fall head over heels for each other. This is despite the fact Logan has yet to spill the beans about the photo, which we eventually learn belonged to Beth's brother, a marine who died a year earlier while serving in Iraq. Apart from the fact that the two were close growing up due to the untimely deaths of their parents, what really tortures Beth is the fact that her brother might have died as the result of friendly fire. The investigation is ongoing. Is it possible that Logan knows what really happened?

A few incidental subplots work their way into the story, including Ben's reluctance to play the violin, Keith's wealthy father running for mayor, and Beth's grandmother being a part of a gospel choir. We also see Ben trying to please his father, who's such a manly man that he actively discourages weak activities like music and birthday parties. I'll never understand how it is Ben can feel anything for his father at all, but I guess that's just another one of those contrivances I'll have to tolerate. All leads to a rather mechanical (yet somehow appropriate) confrontation that involves a sudden rainstorm, a raging river, a rickety wooden bridge, and a shaky tree house jutting perilously from a limb. Although "The Lucky One" is not edifying, I recognize that it fills a need. Believe you me, it will fill it nicely.

-- Chris Pandolfi (www.atatheaternearyou.net)
  • I haven't read the source novel, but I also hadn't read the "Notebook" either. And I really think the latter is one of the best romantic movies that are out there. Considering the novel at hand here (the source so to speak) comes from the same man as the Notebook, you'd be forgiven to expect something similar.

While I think Zac Efron might be underrated by many as an actor (although he still has to prove himself), he doesn't help his case in this one. Puppy eyes and a character that is thinner than a piece of paper do not bode him well. Although according to the female fans attending at the cinema, they wouldn't want him any other way. Which brings me to the one point this movie really excels. It's the reactions you get from the crowd. Believe me, if you didn't watch it at a cinema you lost quite an experience! It was a hoot. I wouldn't be surprised if they got the title wrong and refer to the female lead as the "Lucky One". Just saying.

Apart from those hilarious moments, most of this is longing looks, desires held back and other stuff, that will either "excite" you or leave you cold. Predictable and boring to the point, where even a sudden change of character (why?) towards the end of the movie does not help at all
  • When you walk into a Nicolas Sparks movie, you expect certain things. The Lucky One follows a storyline similar to most of Nicolas Sparks' other adapted novels. This is neither a good nor a bad thing. So long as the movie can stand on its own feet, it deserves recognition. On that ground, The Lucky One does hold its own. The acting is great and the story held my interest. In the end, specific problems make this movie much worse than it should have been.

The main fallback of the story is the characters. Stereotypes are abound. The mayor-to-be is the same as any story that tries to cover a trapped-in-a-small-town feel. The father is an incredibly flat character that is in no way believable. Even Zac Efron's character is too mysterious for his own good. Although Efron pulled off the role quite well, it was the way the character is presented that is the problem.

The other problem with the film is its climax. I won't give it away, but I have seen the same climax more than once. It was an unfortunate low point in a movie that was incredibly well acted. The rest of the storyline was quite unique and enjoyable. Even the modern setting of PTSD and soldiers who have served too many tours was a fascinating setting for the movie. Unfortunately, the amateur screenwriter dropped the ball.

I must point out an unfortunate fact of this movie. It's only 101 minutes. Since it is so short for a complex drama, it drops the ball on many occasions. In the beginning of the film, Zac Efron's character walks from Colorado to Missouri. This fact is almost addressed at one point, but then dropped and never brought back. Things like this happen throughout the film. These holes could have been filled with 15 to 20 minutes more screen time. Unfortunately, the push to keep films shorter made The Lucky One significantly worse.

If you are a Nicolas Sparks fan, this movie is worth seeing. If you enjoy romantic dramas, I would recommend renting The Notebook, A Walk to Remember, or Dear John. If you don't like romantic dramas, there is no reason for you to see this movie. Nicolas Sparks is one of the few authors who deliver consistently good plots. Unfortunately, his last two films have fallen flat. Maybe it's time for him to stop using the same formula again and again.

reillyreviews.wordpress.com
    I was completely disappointed with this film - everything I thought might happen, did happen - it was the most predictable movie I've seen of late. Blythe Danner did a really good job, as did the little boy, but the other actors were one dimensional, shallow and unbelievable. Even the story line was unbelievable. Yes, I would be mad if he had not told me the truth but it certainly wasn't a "you did something so horrible that I want you out of my life now" kind of bad. In addition to not buying into the whole storyline, this film moved incredibly slow. Long views of Zac walking or looking at her or of her thinking. Maybe if the acting had been better it might have been OK but Zac Efron had one look on his face the entire show. And it was a kind of "deer in the headlights" look - really just another Hollywood pretty face with no talent. In my opinion, the sex scenes weren't even steamy because the passion wasn't believable. Other than Blythe and the little boy, there was nothing redeeming about this film.
  • Whenever there is a new adaptation of a Nicholas Sparks novel is released, there's always a mass amount of haters and so be it because some of them are extremely cheesy and bad, however I think that the hate towards The Lucky One is unwarranted, I personally thought it was a very enjoyable romantic drama. The Lucky One is quite different to other Sparks movies, I found the storyline to be a lot more serious and mature than normal, and the story being told from the male perspective is also a nice change.

The acting from Zac Efron is top form, as he gets older his roles get better and his acting improves with each movie, Taylor Schilling is also nice, if not being a little too old for Efron, but she brings some niceness to the character, and Blythe Danner is a bit of a scene stealer in her small role.

Yes parts of this film are a little cliché, particularly towards the end, but it's no biggie, the lack of chemistry between the two leads is a bit annoying at first but soon it changes and gets better, even though Taylor Schilling is nice in the role I do think that she is miscast, I think Abbie Cornish may have suited the role a little more. But even still the few flaws that this movie does have doesn't distract from the overall niceness of the film.

Zefron is all man now and he is definitely an actor to watch. Fans of the book will love it, Zac fans will love it too, generally a nice romance to enjoy with friends.
  • I feel that the plot was predictable and not very well constructed. I could not take Zac Efron seriously in the role that he played. I feel like he had a blank stare (full of no emotion) throughout the movie. I feel someone with his circumstances would have emotion (having lost people close to him, having gone through a war...) Emotion of pain or anger, at least, but I did not feel it, and I have seen so many military movies where the soldiers were pleasant to watch because of their raw emotions- makes for a really emotional, wonderful, movie experience.

I also didn't sense the emotions of passion in the love scene between him and "Beth", I felt they showed the physical aspect of their "love" but didn't feel the emotions (once again) I just saw blank stares at one another. To show emotions, I think, is what distinguishes an "OK" actor from and "amazing" actor, and I would not call Zac Efron's acting in this movie, amazing. He also did not give off the "tough guy" feel, even though he had a straight face the entire movie, but I definitely think there is a difference between having a straight face, and being tough. The supporting actors were good, I really love Blythe Danner playing the role of "Ellie" she definitely pulls it off, which is not surprising because most of her movie roles are very similar characters. Taylor Schilling as "Beth" was okay, but the bad acting on Zac Efron's part, and the lack of an interesting, unpredictable plot made it hard for me to enjoy her part in the movie. Overall the movie was okay, I will not watch it again. It will most likely only be liked by the younger population rather than older (under 18) Oh, and I am 21, by the way. X Peace X
    I normally do not like sappy romantic movies. I typically don't really enjoy Nicholas Sparks movies in particular, with one or two exceptions. Guess I'll have to add another exception now.

While there was nothing particularly groundbreaking about this movie, and there were a few clichés (I spent the first 10 minutes counting every time a character was portrayed back-lit by the sun. I lost count!), I ended up being surprised with the subtlety of the story- telling. Every time I expected, for instance, the small-town cop, abusive ex to: arrest Logan for a trumped up charge, beat him when everyone was looking and then deny it, beat up his ex-wife when she defied/challenged him, or any number of movie tropes, the story took a more subtle route. He is portrayed as the "bad guy" so to speak, but not in a one-dimensional manner.

And every time I expected the love interests to: rip each other's clothes off at the first opportunity, fall head over heels for each other in a melodramatic, saccharine fashion, and over-explain every scene at every given opportunity, they surprisingly didn't.

Instead, the love interests are portrayed as gradually falling for each other over a period of time in a regular, reasonable manner.

I especially appreciated that dialogue was used sparingly and everything wasn't talked to death like a lot of movies these days.

If you're looking for a witty, fast-paced, sex-filled movie with lots of dialogue and plenty of action, this definitely isn't the movie for you.

But I thoroughly enjoyed the refreshing change of pace, the sweet, gentle love story, as well as a surprisingly decent performance by Zac Efron.

My main gripe is that there were entirely too many back-lit scenes. I wish I could have the sun following me around all the time, back- lighting my profile.

Overall, though, I recommend it. Will probably watch again.
  • You know there was a day when Nicholas Sparks's movies were actually good, like the notebook. But this movie really set the bar to a horribly low standard. The acting was disgraceful, the acting was like something out of a cheap Hallmark movie. The script was boring and bland just like the plot line. Also, there wasn't really a lot of chemistry between our two romantic leads. I have not gotten a chance to read the book the lucky one, but hopefully it was a lot better than this! Gosh this movie wasn't sweet or cute or romantic, it didn't make me feel good, I really miss the notebook! I wish that he still made movies like that. Blithe dinner was actually one actress that I enjoyed and the Pham, her performance was really the only part of the film I liked. In fact she's the only reason that this film got a two instead of a one out of 10.
    Well. Hollywood just keeps putting out the same mindless drivel. There are too many overworked themes to list, not to mention a predictable plot..

As soon as he started looking for her, you knew that he would not tell her WHY he looked her up. He would start and get interrupted. She'd find out about the picture and that would be the basis of the "conflict between him/her" part of the movie. Then it would get worked out.

Totally unbelievable action on the part of the sheriff is to be expected in today's Hollywood garbage movies. And, that is not the only horrendous acting in the movie.

Please forget about wasting $ on a DVD, don't even waste your time watching it on TV.
    It wasn't bad but if I wasn't so in love with the book I don't think I would've liked it so much. I don't like how they changed the plot of how Beth finds out about the photo, it was a lot better and would've added more substance to the movie when he gives it to Ben and it keeps him safe. I also think they should've had Zues be more prevalent in the movie like in the book. Zues saves Ben pretty much in the book and although it might be hard to train a dog to do that it would've been pretty cool but also the beginning story about him training Zues on the way would've added to it as well. There is just a lot more substance missing from the movie that I saw a lot of other reviews saying they didn't seem to see the character development. I understand a lot of the time books are edited to be turned into movies but in this case it was changed for the worse not the better unfortunately. Getting a few more actors to be the girls on the beach would've cost some extra money and training a dog to do the rescue scene would've cost a lot so I guess they were kinda worried about the costs more than quality. The best part is that Zac Efron is amazing in this and although for me his character was already well developed from the book I think he did a good job in the movie as well!
    Looks pretty. No thinking required.

How many times can the writer play the photograph card? The picture the marine finds is the catalyst for the story, yet very late they play another picture to wrap up a loose end.

Predictable. Good performances all around. Zack Efron seemed a little young and short for Taylor Shilling. The dogs are good.

The movie drags at times, but if you get board you can always watch the rear view mirror on the truck appear and disappear from scene to scene.

It kinda has the feel of a 60's movie with the folk singer telling the story as it happens. Pleasant enough romance tale with a happy ending.
  • rwarr9014 September 2012
    Sh1t
    Wow! I love this! It's so grand, you'll die! Do watch! If you want to see a p3nis pump about a movie in which man can do no wrong, this is your movie folks! Apparently Efron does everything now, including instruments, dog training, military man, s3x, rebuild houses, tractors, & more! There's no end to his activities, whether it's relating to the shy kid who talks or plays for no one but him, finding an identical lighthouse in the middle of nowhere, curing himself from PTSD in a day, taming the wild dogs like a pro, or frightening fellow hicks just by standing there, this muscle's your man, here to woo random d1tzy girl silly who suddenly found a great man in her life, unlike that douch3bag husband she only married because she got pregnant with the quarterback jock, who also happens to be the top sheriff in town, lookout! You know he'll cause trouble for this loving pair! Hell, I'd marry him too! He's a living Mary Stue!
  • The mark of a film for me is how I feel when I leave the cinema. Has my expectation, interest, and satisfaction been met? With The Lucky One, the answers are yes, yes and yes. What I will say to prospective viewers, or buyers of the DVD (when it comes out) is ignore the previous overall rating of this film. Pace perfect, characters well defined, and enough layers revealed though action, amazing light angled cinematography, to grab your breath and mind. Great direction and convincing acting. It's a wonderful story too. And it's the attention to detail that I loved as well. The scene where Logan gets up to leave the pub, but turns around to down his beer, before leaving. Believable stuff. Top movie. Thoroughly recommend
    Even though my wife categorized it as a chick flick, as a guy I liked it too. Zac Efron plays a bit of a warrior monk who has returned to civilian life after three tours of Iraq. He is trying to come to terms with his experiences of combat and trying to understand how he made it home alive when others didn't and maybe he shouldn't have. He isn't the clichéd shell shocked/PTSD combat vet, but a good, honest man struggling with his experiences. If you have been to combat in anyway, you empathize with him. Zac Efron plays the role well from the tats to the close quarters combat. Taylor Schilling, Blythe Danner, and the others are good foils to his journey for understanding. My (military) audience was very engaged during the movie, especially (spoiler follows) when Beth tells off her stalker ex-husband. They cheered and clapped for her. This movie won't change your life, but it will help you appreciate it. Take a friend and go see it.
  • No amount of nuzzling between the co stars could bring about the chemistry between the two. The story lacks gravitas that the actor is trying to portray. I really liked walk to remember and Notebook so I rushed to see this movie. Utterly disappointed, Nicholas sparks has to pay me to watch this movie. The story is at times preposterous. The end even more..How the villain conveniently is eliminated. Wish all the negative people in my life got eliminated that way. Since I watched the movie in the theater there were some demented teenagers who whistled and cheered every time the actor showed his body. Honestly I just have a better taste when it comes to men. Zac Efron looks so clueless he tries hard to portray like an ex marine but God alone knows who told him that it means to look anally retentive at all times. He just looked constipated. I have absolutely no clue as to what is happening to the taste of people.