User Reviews (1,017)

The Terminator franchise started with a low-budget thriller film that introduced a very interesting and compelling story about a woman who is a target of a ruthless man from the future that turns up to be a cyborg. It was a simple yet good story and a good piece of science fiction. Why was it a good film? Well, for starters, the bad guy, i.e the terminator, according to Kyle Reese, doesn't feel pain or pity, can't be reasoned with, can't be bargained with. It was the perfect killer, and almost invincible. So there you got all the elements of a good story.

Then came Terminator 2: Judgement day. Here things start to get weird with the new T-1000, because it was the result of CGI of that time. The whys and hows of the T-1000 were cleverly hidden away and never discussed. The story was good: here Sarah Connor wants to change history and the new terminator ends up showing a window of opportunity.

T3 came along and stuff started to crumble. T3 makes no sense. A seemingly old terminator that goes back because a "more advanced" (and absurd) terminator came to yet again kill John Connor. They used preposterous ideas justified by the fact that it is a "fiction" film (i.e the stuff about controlling automobiles with a "virus": cars don't work like that). Well, even fiction must be based on some rules, and T3 simply disregards these rules, and that is what makes it so bad.

Salvation came and it was good. Honestly, I don't see why people freak out about Salvation, because it was consistent, it makes actual sense. It looks like a war zone between our present and that future we see in the first films. There are no crazy liquid-metal things this time, only "normal" cyborgs and there were very nice references to the first two films. I have no idea why people hate it. It is not a thriller, but action, but then T3 isn't a thriller either, nor is T2, so that is a very bad reason to hate TS.

And now came Genisys, with the typo in the name.

The film starts with a disturbing change: the judgment day occurred, apparently, in 1997. It means that the whole second film was thrown in the rubbish bin. Sarah's efforts were pointless, apparently Skynet wasn't destroyed after all. But maybe I was confused, so I'll just ignore this and move on.

The film introduces an interesting idea: since the future already changed before, Skynet was aware of John's plan to send Kyle Reese and attacks him (John) before he tears the time machine apart, altering the whole story.

But this leads to a series of confusing events that end up having a terminator sent to kill Sarah when she was 9 and another to protect her. Then the "good" terminator ends up "raising" Sarah to have the face of Emilia Clarke instead of Linda Hamilton and both prepare for the arrival of a disturbingly different Kyle Reese in 1984.

Then appears the original terminator, apparently unaware it was not the first assigned to kill Sarah, and a T-1000 was apparently sent to kill Kyle (it is never explained who was the target).

Then instead of waiting for the right time, Emilia Clarke decides to build a time machine and go to 1997 stop Skynet. But Kyle, as explained by some pseudo-science theory, has memories of an alternate childhood (go figure), and knows Skynet goes berserk in 2017. So they go to 2017 and find out that there is this software which is a mixture of Apple, Google and Facebook called Genisys that for no reason is being used on mobiles, hospitals, and even the army and is going to be "available" at precisely the time of judgment day, even though it is already being used.

John Connor shows up in 2017 looking like Jason Clarke, and we assume he was cast because he shares the same surname with Emilia, and he is a cyborg because Skynet itself was contained inside a cyborg and it managed to replace every cell in John Connor for nano-technology. He wants to turn his parents into machines and he inexplicably not only defends Skynet, but he created Genisys himself.

So John Connor is the bad guy! And he is a terminator who created Skynet! Schwarzenegger tries to kill him, but Sarah points a gun to his... head, and.. it makes no sense.

They then invade this company that developed Genisys and end up stumbling on the same computer interface used in Resident Evil: Skynet for some reason has several projectors in the place with the hologram of a child that tries to convince the heroes that they are doomed and you wonder why Skynet wastes time talking to them if it really thinks that, but the holograms make funny noises when they cross the light and you give up trying to understand.

In the end Schwarzenegger kills Jason Clarke by getting into this unfinished time-machine with a giant magnet, while Kyle and Sarah explode the building, but in the last second Schwarzenegger falls into the metal goo that would be the T-1000s and even though a T-1000 cannot emulate complex machinery because it has moving parts and all that (check T2), he inexplicably blends just fine with the goo and becomes "updated". Oh, that trick is used before too. So even though stuff exploded, the terminator "survives".

So the film ends leaving a feeling of "what the hell I just saw", and I wonder why people find this any better than T3 and why Terminator Salvation is considered worse. It is beyond me. Really people, something is wrong here.

So if you like Terminator, go see it. If you liked Salvation, I'm so sorry, but it didn't turn into a trilogy and they just "terminated" a good project.
    What is there to say? A quick summery: Everything is over the top. Instead of using one good idea like T1 and T2 they try to cram as many (bad) ideas as possible into one movie.

We get like 4 terminators, 3 time machines, 3 time periods, an app that is about to take over the world, nonstop cheesy one liners, to many 'funny' moments, to many plot twists. Ridiculous characters. A high school princess as Sarah Connor. B-grade acting. Generic action. A senior terminator attempting comedy.

The worst part: it has no tension buildup at all. What made T1 and T2 such great movies was the suspense of being chased by one (not 3) almost completely indestructible machine. That haunting feeling, done so well in the past, is totally missing. Overall it felt more like a poorly executed attempt at comedy with a convoluted mess of a plot.

This is a new low point in the franchise with a terminator named 'pops' saying awkward lines and doing creepy smiles. This is Terminator for the marvel generation. Braindead entertainment at its finest. Sadly a growing trend in Hollywood.

Please tell me this was just a fan made parody and the actual movie is still under development, right?
    I am so disgusted with this movie and its rating that I have decided to sign up here for the first time and write my opinion. There is no way this movie is a 7.0/10. Not even close and it never will be. If this is a 7.0 then Salvation is a 14.0/10. James Cameron should be ashamed for even entertaining the idea that this movie is good. He has made me realize that everyone can be bought for the right amount. I hope he got paid a lot of money to say "If you are a terminator fan, you will love this movie", because he has lost a lot of respect with that statement. Hope it was worth it James!

I waited for this movie every day counting down as the days go by. I went to see it with my wife and I felt sorry for her she had to sit through the eye ball torture. I wanted to walk out a couple of times after countless cheesy jokes and terrible acting but I didn't. I thought I would stick through it because it has to get better until I witnessed the helicopter scene. At that moment I realized that the terminator franchise is nothing more than a childhood dream. Anyone who rated this movie above 3 stars on here is either getting paid by someone or 13 years old since after all it was a PG-13 movie.

Terminator 1 was good. I rate 8/10.

Terminator 2 was great. I rate 9/10.

Terminator 3 was decent, hated the overly futuristic female T-X. Ending was good and we finally see Judgement Day. I rate 6/10.

Salvation was good once you got passed Bale's Batman voice. At least it was getting into the future war and heading the right direction after T3. No fancy robots, just cold steel cyborgs with one acceptable twist (Marcus). The T600 was awesome. I rate 7/10.

Than comes Genisys, a Saturday Night Live skit at best. Was this a wannabe comedy or a terminator movie? We have a Kyle Reese that is cocky and looks like he should be the Terminator. Probably worst acting I have seen in a movie. We have John Connor that is some weird combination of human/nano technology/robot/liquid metal that is so far out there that it is stupid. Yes, stupid. We have the new Sarah which is not so bad other than the weird interactions between her and Kyle. It was awkward at best. We have Pops who is the terminator who is a father figure and competes with Kyle for his "daughter's" approval. He awkwardly smiles a lot and repeats the same punch lines over and over as if we didn't get it the first 6 times. It is border line offensive to average human intelligence. Add to that ridiculous scenes like the helicopter chase towards the end which defies logic and I am ready to question anyone's intelligence who rates this movie as anything above a joke.

Some people say "it was a fun summer flick, lighten up and just enjoy it for the action". What action? The crap CGI all over and helicopters from starwars? The T800s looked better in the originals. I wanted to enjoy it and went in with an open mind not expecting much but I wasn't prepared for what I actually witnessed. It was the worst summer flick I have ever seen that has actually insulted me for wanting to watch it. (if that's even possible) It was a joke and a mockery at best. It can't be taken seriously even if you wanted to. It fails at being a terminator movie. It fails at being a "true sequel to T1&T2". It fails at being funny. It fails at having ground breaking CGI. If fails at having a story. It fails at character development. It fails at having good sound effects. The music is TERRIBLE! It even destroys the prequels timelines which I don't care for really if it was good. It has nothing going for it. I walked out of the theater dumbfounded at what I have just watched. My wife laughed at me and said "this is what you waited for all these months? WOW. Terminator 2 is still my favorite."
    The Terminator movies (sans TS - I am not even sure if it's part of the cannon) are basically chase films with the element of time travel thrown in to create unique Sci-fi protagonists and antagonists.

The first two films were smart enough to understand the limitations of time travel as a viable "science" and hence kept the focus on it's characters, surroundings and action (note : I do not say special effects). T3 tried to explain away the canonical inconsistencies (eg. it's existence) with some quantum mumbo-jumbo, but again it was kept at a bare minimum (almost hinted), showing a self awareness from the writers that even if you need to write stupid stuff for exposition, it's not necessary to go full blown Shyamalan on things. Of course, T3 is nowhere clinical in it's nightmarish quality of T1 or matured enough for the majesty of T2, but at least it looked like the people behind the movie were trying sincerely.

TG jumps into the bandwagon of using time travel as a rebooting device, which currently is the go-to template for many franchises (XMEN, Star Trek). But it makes the cardinal sin of driving ALL plot elements through this device multiple times. Hence, you are left with bizarre recitation of quantum fields, alternate time-lines, nexuses in time points associated with important events, all wrapped in "delivery under 60 seconds" by Arnold's "Pops" (Dear me, Arnold and Quantum Theory in the same sentence). Mix into this Internet/Cloud/AI, phase matter, time displacement with a dash of 12 Monkeys - all stamped with Hollywood's grasp of "science", and you start wondering why was the Kitchen Sink left out.

The movie really doesn't have a plot line as such. It's feels more like a re-edited version of separate episodes stitched into a movie, to throw a glimpse into the life of these characters over a period of 2?3?4? days. Each day/episode starts with a shocking (read : spoiled by trailer) reveal, followed by "scientific" explanations, followed by CGI explosions and chase. The less said about the ending the better - the "emotional moment" where the survivors think they will "live happily ever after" has concrete foundations in "Marvel Studio Science" - the current rage of Hollywood. The feeling of clunky and disjointed adventures for our saviors of humankind is more akin to Stargate tag line ("Saving the universe one day at a time") rather than a complete coherent movie, even if it be a summer popcorn/potboiler/studio crash grab event.

Now Arnold can play a terminator without getting out of bed in the morning, and sometimes it feels exactly like that - there are many instances where he was just disinterested in the proceedings. He also has the onerous task of providing dumb plot expositions every time the "plot" takes a hard right/left. One is left to wonder that with this much encyclopedic knowledge on the universe and decades of readiness, why he never leaned how to fist fight against his fellow 800s.

The movie might also be called "The death of Kyle Reese as we came to love him", as Jai Courtney is probably the biggest miscast for the role (bigger than Matthew Goode as Ozymandius in Watchmen) . Gone are Michael Bhein's nuance portrayal of a psychologically scarred and physically fatigued soldier doomed to a tragic fate as he tries to fight impossible odds to save the women he loves. Instead, we have a clean shaved and chiseled smart-ass who spends the entire movie being a HUGE ass**** to Arnold (with multiple stare contests between him and Arnold ALA Twilight) , and who is looking to "score" with Emilia Clarke's Sarah (not bad in the role). Even though he says he will die for her more than once, the delivery is just not reliable. A big element of Reese's character in T1 was his virginity, something the audiences gulped down because of Bhein's performance. Courtney's Reese comes across someone who LOVES his soldier job way too much and has tamed many members of the opposite sex. There is ZERO chemistry between the two, and the inherent romance (which in my opinion was quite smart in Terminator) becomes another obligatory check box for the movie to tick. I wont even go into the "humor" between Arnold and Emilia on this topic (borrowed from T3) that the movie tries to choke it audiences with multiple times.

Mostly everything in the action scenes are CGI, but in majority they are not distracting, except when they CGI-ed Arnold all over. There are multiple chase sequences of varied length and complexities - not bad, but nothing we haven't seen before in other movies.

Twice we hear Fidel's epic Drumbeats from the Terminator theme, but that's it. Rest of the soundtrack is so off, that these two instances come more like a reminder of the good times we had decades ago, while TG gleefully murders everything that was great about T1 and T2 (come to think of it, T3 is a masterpiece compared to this). The final nail in the coffin - "Bad Boys" playing in the background as characters get their mugshots (don't ask).
    Against all odds I was amazed I made it to the end of this movie. I only wish I could go back in time and tell my wife to talk me out of the suggestion I made to see Terminator Genisys. The original Terminator movie is a cult classic and yes, the remade scenes entertained me on a nostalgia level but as for the rest of the script, it played out like an episode of neighbours. The acting was terrible, the casting was terrible, the action sequences...If I said, give me $170 million dollars for me to take a dump and then I'll feed it to the masses and make a profit, you'd think I was insane - yet Hollywood does it again. Another 3 dimensional turd (yes I sadly paid the extra for the 3D which only really amounted to feeling like someone was actually shi**ing in my face) served up for the intellectually bereft to eat popcorn too. I don't know where these great reviews are coming from, but they're certainly not from Ireland, because in my cinema there was a general feeling of agitation and boredom about an hour into the movie.

It felt like Arnie was trying to save the movie by explaining the plot to us, which simply didn't come together, as well as trying to plead with us that his acting days weren't over, even if they were limited to playing an emotionless robot - i.e. the role he has played in all his movies since the 80s.

So here's the spoilers, if you can call them that:

If I knew that a computer programme was being developed that was going to cause the end of humanity, or at least try to and I had a time machine that would enable me to "destroy skynet before it's born" would I really jump to just 24 hours before Judgement Day? I think I may have had the foresight to nip it in the bud a bit earlier.

If I was in a bus that flipped and was completely mangled, hanging off a bridge, and I was initially sitting in a passenger seat without a seat belt, I would expect...well..I wouldn't expect anything, I'd be dead. Hardened soldier as he is though, Kyle Reece steps out with the obligatory scratch on his forehead. At one point I thought they were going to reveal that they were all T1000's, the amount of physical abuse they could take.

If I could essentially break myself into a floating atomic state, I wouldn't then spend my time struggling to pull myself off a lamp-post through my guts - I would simply float round it, or at least open up the hole so I could walk away without a struggle.

If I was a hardened female self made soldier, I would expect that I would show some signs of physical fitness and muscular definition - sorry Emilia, but if the fate of humanity rested on you even being able to act like a militaryesque hero, I'd be guessing it was game over. She looked like she was struggling to run with the props. And yes I know "militrayesque" is not a word, so give it 3 minutes after reading this and it will probably appear in a US dictionary.

If I had created an explosion that was enough to liquidate an entire compound around me, I doubt I would put my faith in a steel door to save me from the blast. Especially one that a sword handed T1000 has no problem puncturing with with his sword hands.

I could go on...and on.

As for the chemistry between the two leads, if there was a formula for this and we could create a bomb with it to be used on "Judgement Day", the fallout would turn everyone into Keanu Reeves, or Pinocchio.

Just awful.

All I can say is that all of you so called fans of the original that loved this movie, must have been the result of a 70's fertility drug gone wrong. Seriously, watch it again with your brain stem attached and tell me this even comes close to quality cinema.
    The story contains the existence of alternate timelines but if they exist you can have as many timelines as you want and the story will never end. Winning the battle against Skynet would mean nothing because the characters can travel back in time and it can happen all over again, forever and ever.

Everything that happened in Terminator 1-5 will just be one of those timelines and anything can be changed at any time, including a win against Skynet if it ever happens. Also Terminator 1 didn't even need to happen if the Guardian could successfully protect Sarah Connor. Oh right, it's just an alternate timeline, so what's the point? Just create 20 or 30 timelines if you want the franchise to go on forever.
    There is really nothing to say about this film besides that it's a complete slap in the face to anyone who is a fan of the Terminator franchise. The plot is very tedious and the script is poorly thought out. For instance, nothing in this movie makes any sense whatsoever. And oh yes, I am going to spoil it for some folks.

Basically, we have Kyle Reese sent by John Connor back in time to save Sarah Connor. But then, Sarah rescues Kyle, and is protected by a terminator dubbed "Pops" who saved her as a child. So Kyle, Sarah and Pops plot to prevent Judgement Day from ever happening. Apparently, "Genisys" was a project said to change the world, but it was really Skynet and was to bring forth Judgement Day. On top of that, John Connor turns out to be the bad guy, as he got attacked as he was sending Kyle, and then becomes something more than man and machine. Apparently, John is not Earth's hope but Skynet's hope. What? That is just stupid.

Even for a time travel story it is incredibly illogical. In a world where time travel is possible, I am sure that time can be re-written in a way, but you have got to have logic. This "time travel" movie defies logic in every possible way.

It's like, the whole thing revolved around John Connor, and Kyle, Sarah, and Pops successfully stopped Judgement Day. After all of that, Why would Sarah decide to have a John Connor? And if Sarah decides not to have a John Connor, then Kyle Reese would not have been sent back in the first place, and there would be no Terminators sent to kill Sarah. All of these changes in time would cause a paradox.

It is also horribly miscast. Emilia Clarke, Jai Courtney, and Jason Clarke did not play their roles very well and they can barely act. Arnold Schwarzenegger, J.K. Simmons, Matt Smith and that kid (whatever his name is) who played young Kyle Reese are the only cast members who could act and were not completely miscast.

Not even the special effects are good. Basically, it relies very heavily on CGI effects and it is very fake looking. The CGI in Terminator 2: Judgement Day looked great and was very impressive. But here, it is just very unbelievable and looks like a bad video game.

It also had an attempt at comedy that did not work. For example, what was with that Grin that Pops often made. Was that supposed to be funny? I loved the first Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgement Day. Heck, I even enjoyed Rise of the Machines and Salvation for what they are. But Genisys was just a terrible mess and an insult to the franchise.

Overall, I hated Terminator Genisys and I would not recommend it. If you are a Terminator fan, you will not like this film.
  • The new Terminator wasn't terrible! I'm surprised. Though it had its flaws it was much better then Terminator 3 and Salvation... and I actually enjoyed it mostly. I probably won't be watching it like 30 times like Judgement Day, but its not like I expected it to ever live up to Cameron's work....

First off, the action was good and so was the pace, the film never became boring even with how complex the story was so it certainly gets points for that.

The film itself runs like the greatest hits of the the franchise which is both good and bad.

The pros: Revisiting 1984 (the first terminator timeline) was a lot of fun for obvious reasons.. You get more things like crazy manoeuvres from the T1000 etc and Arnie gets to kick some ass and even be funny at times....

The cons: How many times do they have to repeat lines from the previous films? Sarah Conner says: "Come with me if you want to live" Really? Again? Really? Come on, having that as an obligatory line in each movie is actually annoying. "I'll be back" is just like an obligatory oh, we'll just squeeze that in there, the audience will love that! Nope, not really, see in the first Terminator that had impact! Like the impact of a car coming through the wall! This is there just for the sake of it...

Aside from that, I think JK Simmons character was borderline pointless, you could nearly have cut him out of the movie and barely noticed! A crying shame for such an excellent actor.. Generally the script could have done with more tweaking, some plot towards the end just seemed outright silly, but I will say the chemistry between Arnie and Emilia was actually pretty good!

Overall: It's no Judgement day but you know what, it was actually a decent film and it was great to see Arnie as the Terminator again, and not saying "talk to the hand" . I can see why James Cameron endorsed this as the true sequel to T2...
  • In 1984, fans of sci-fi with action were surprised by "Terminator", one of the best films of this genre in the cinema industry. Followed by the excellent sequel "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" (1991), the franchise apparently ended in 2003 with "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines". However, in 2008, it was released the series "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" that also worked well showing how Sarah and John Connor survived along the years. In 2009, the exhausted franchise was revived by Hollywood with "Terminator Salvation".

Unfortunately "Terminator Genisys" is a typical example of the present days of Hollywood that insists in destroying great films from the past with the mediocrity of the present writers. This time, the studio does not only destroy the franchise but also the character John Connor and the initial vulnerability of Sarah Connor. The number of inconsistencies and paradoxes in the "butterfly effect" of the story is amazing. The best part of this movie is the smile of Pops. My vote is four.

Title (Brazil): "O Exterminador do Futuro: GĂȘnesis" ("The Terminator from the Future: Genisys")
  • The story ended with T2, Cameron told all the story needed and moved on unlike fans of this sorry forced franchise and the three studios that each picked up the rights and made one contrived cash-grab after the next before passing it on one after the other like a dirty whore.

This is the worst rehash of old ideas ever resold to a desperate fanbase. A baby-faced Sarah Connor who looks like she should be getting ready for a prom date unlike the hardened paramilitary character that Lind Hamilton trained like a madwoman to deliver in looks and performance. Some 8-ball headed actor trying to pass of John Connor, an Asian Robert Patrick doing all the same stuff we saw 20 years ago and an old age pensioner Arnorld Schwarzenegger being made to do everything in CGI his awful frame lost the ability to do decades ago.

Only Hollywood would flog a dead horse so continuously and still find an audience however small and desperate, to watch and cheer every single swing of the lash.
  • The first two Terminator films are among the best of their genre and are brilliant films also in their own right. Rise of the Machines started the series' decline and had its faults but also had some good things that made it better than its reputation, while Terminator Salvation although with its moments was even more disappointing. While not a complete disaster, the latest in the Terminator franchise is the worst yet and sees a once classic series at rock bottom.

Are there any good points? Not many, but yes there are. The best thing about Terminator Genisys is Arnold Schwarzenegger, while more subdued than he can be he is rock-solid and has the most intensity and charisma of the entire cast. Despite not having a lot of screen time and being mute, Byung-hun Lee is nonetheless credible as T-1000. Some of the scenery is quite atmospheric and striking.

Everything else was severely wanting. The rest of the cast are not good at all, with Jai Courtney being by far the worst actor for Kyle Reese of the series in a performance that is both insipid and annoying (which didn't entirely surprise me seeing as out of the little I've seen of him he's always struck me as a lazy actor with an arrogant ego). Just as much as the anaemic Emilia Clarke faring the worst of all the actresses playing Sarah Connor, who behaves in a way that you'd expect a stereotypical bratty and vapid high school teenager to act but not Sarah Connor. Jason Clarke is not quite as stiff as Christian Bale was in Terminator Salvation, but it is still a shock to see the role of John Connor being performed and written so blandly. The chemistry between them is also barely there, most of the time it's even non-existent. JK Simmons is basically wasted, and his dialogue and character are forced and out of place.

The characters are like personality-less ciphers, with none of what made them so memorable before as characters and no convincing conflict, in a film that definitely could have benefited from less characters and more development (which is non-existent) . The script is overstuffed and confused, as well as tonally unbalanced with overly-complex scientific jargon, cheesy one-liners (even Schwarzenegger's don't work particularly well this time), misplaced comedy (that's even more distracting than in Rise of the Machines and used with even less subtlety) and too many ideas barely explored. The story, as well as having a stitched-together episodic feel, is at best a head-scratcher, with it being confused to being at times incoherent as a result of doing too little with too much. It's also very dull, not just because of the leaden pacing but because there is not much new and little interesting is done with the ideas presented in the film and it completely lacks atmosphere, thrills, mystery or suspense, and any drama is both heavy handed and lacking in heart.

Direction from Alan Taylor is lazy, favouring spectacle over depth and story and character development. And unfortunately the spectacle is not that good. The special effects are not terrible, but they at best never rise above just-passable (the worst of the series in this regard, they are quite poor actually in the beginning section and fake-looking too in other parts), are used with little to no imagination, and there is too many of them (sometimes in places where they were not even needed). The action sequences are equally painfully unimaginative, are sloppily edited, are leadenly and predictability choreographed and contain no tension or thrills whatsoever, let alone any fun. It's very erratically shot and scored with a mix of overbearing bombast and dirge-like drone. The ending also felt incredibly forced and tacked on.

Overall, Terminator Genisys was a pretty poor and disappointing film, and is by far the worst of the Terminator franchise. 3/10 Bethany Cox
    ...lie down until the feeling goes away!

Or better yet, go rent the first three Terminator movies, watching only the cool action moments and immediately fast-forwarding past every scene where anyone demonstrates anything resembling personality or acting ability. Because really, that's all this movie ever does.

Seriously -- over and over again, every time sometime cool or interesting happens in this movie, a moment's thought will remind you that they're simply apeing a scene or shot from a prior film, and did it better with technology from a quarter-century ago! Hell -- they even stole the "quantum frequency matter" bit from Jim Cameron's treatment for his proposed (but never filmed) version of "Terminator 3"!

Add to that the neutering the film underwent in order to squeak into a PG-13 rating, plus handing key roles in the story to the complete charisma-vacuums that are Jason Clarke and Jai Courtney (how do you even pronounce that -- does it rhyme with "die", or with "oy vey"?), and it becomes clear that the real disaster that we need to invent a time machine so that we can prevent it from ever happening, is this abomination on celluloid...
  • I am a massive Terminator 1 and 2 fan, I disliked 3 and 4 a lot and I really thought this would be terrible as well!

However I turned out to be wrong! Dead Wrong!

This film has the best Arnold character of them all! He is the most 'human' towards Sarah and I really loved that connection, I can see many people liking it also. It was reminiscent of John Connor and Arnold from T2 which I just saw today... I remember seeing the first trailer and having many problems. I thought the story line was too complicated and wasn't respectful of the older films and I thought the visuals were bad.

I was wrong in both cases. The story pays massive respect to James Camerons first two classics! And it wasn't complicated for me. It was a fun story and kept my eyes on the screen. Also the visuals... wow the visuals... I know people said that we will never be shocked again by visuals like we were in T2 and the first Jurassic Park! But the young T800 looks too good to ignore. Wow! The best animation I've ever seen, I can't see the difference between him and the real one.

This is a fun, humorous, emotional action flick that shouldn't be ignored! I loved it! And you know what, I'm not ashamed! Alan Taylor deserves praise!

P.S. I love the soundtrack, I hand it to Lorne Balfe who I know makes great soundtracks from Assassins creed!
  • I'm a big Terminator 1 and 2 fan. They are 2 of my favourite sci-fi movies of all time. Terminator 3 and 4 were decent but both quite dull and not even comparable to their predecessors. Terminator 5 is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. There are no words to describe how awful this is. They couldn't have made it any worse even if they tried. Everything from the acting to the script to the special effects is absolutely laughable. And yes I did start laughing at some point, thinking 'what the hell is going on here?'. The people who wrote the script should be fired, the actors should go to acting classes and Arnie should apologise to the fans for this monstrosity. This should have never been made. What a joke of a movie.
  • I may be one of the flock, but I am a big fan of the Terminator franchise. This movie was appropriately delivered to fans of the franchise more than the prior 2 sequels. Arnold was Arnold and genuinely looked like he was having fun with the role. The story to me was pretty well written and despite lots of turns along the way, was engaging. There was plenty of comic relief. The battle scenes play homage to the aesthetic and look of the future wars in the 1st two movies.

Emilia Clarke did a pretty good job of playing Sarah Connor although she might have been a little softer looking than Linda Hamilton, I think the justification of the plot makes you understand a little more of how and why she is the way she is.

I'll tell you what they didn't do in this film. They didn't go and screw up the source material like the Star Trek reboots have. This story plays out a different scenario but the characters both old and new are familiar and this movie was done very well with respect to the source materials. If you are a fan of the franchise, you'll feel like you are getting more of what you might have had to imagine way back in the 1984 film. You'll enjoy it.

Any fan of T1 and T2 should go and see this and add it to your library.
  • The story starts a bit confusing, but after a short time it's back to business. It's a great addition to the series and it's nice to see Arnold back in this role. The special effects are not always the best, but most parts look great. The new type terminator is great, but the old T800 is still not obsolete. The story is convincing enough and can be the prelude of new additions to this series. I hope Arnold will be part of these. It's a pity 3D is still the norm in most cinemas. This movie is best viewed in normal 2D. It's dark en there are no special benefits in 3D. The movie gives also a good critical note about our dependency of our smart-phones, tablets and the Internet integration. Genisys might be more true that we realize ;)
  • The newest entry to the Terminator franchise, strives with towering efforts to reclaim the glory of its two James Cameron-directed predecessors, but miserably fails to deliver even a faint hint of wit and sense, in the wake of its convoluted confusion-infested time-travel narrative.

In this fifth installment, ill-wittedly conceived and called GENISYS, The Terminator is definitely back, but his legacy is dead, butchered to bits of rusty metal junks through lazy and uncreative reinvention of its original source material. The timeline is set back to 1984. Skynet sends its own terminator from 2029, to kill Sarah Connor (Emilia Clarke), mother of future subversive leader of the resistance, John Connor (Jason Clarke). Consequently, a human, Kyle Reese (Jai Courtney) is also sent to stop the terminator, in humanity's desperate hope to save their species. At the time, Sarah is already being protected by her guardian terminator (Arnold Schwarzenegger), whose reasons of arriving in her time, is seemingly set to be never known.

Time-travel has always been a fascinating subject, and it in such fashion that Terminator: Genisys, attempts to build its own stronghold in the mold of the first two films. The take assumes an interesting onset, depicting an apocalyptic future where machines lord over the human minority, but it spirals down to fatal loops of nonsensical uncreatively-staged retreads when the what can be considered the inception of human salvation (Schwarzenegger's Terminator's arrival), begins. Once the deadly cat-and-mouse chases spin out of control, confusion begins, and the film itself, can't be bothered to clear off heads as it totally busy itself to trying to awe-inspire spectators, with elaborately-constructed action setpieces, teeming with CGI-mastered explosions, pursuits, and fight scenes. There's no denying that such attempt is carried out with colossal success, but the audience would inevitably find appreciating the feat, difficult and pointless . The proceedings are sutured into recreations of some iconic scenes of the original movies, while also devising its own, at the same time. But even with all these efforts, GENISYS still fails to generate sustained interest. The result of its motives manages to hit some of the nostalgic beats of the franchise, but tepid one-liners and confusing paradoxes would drag down its capacity to last. It is also by these narrative defects that interest is being stripped off its key players, making the audience barely care about the characters and the imminence of their extinction. This is why Genisys is way below the glory of its predecessors--the dread is barely present, and fear is forced, thus ineffective.

There is a screaming irony that bursts at the heels of this attempt to reinvigorate the sagging Terminator series: The Terminator (Schwarzenegger) returns to the past to save the whole of humankind, but the mess that is GENISYS, murders the franchise. 5/10
  • I don't understand all the haters. I often wonder why some people even bother going to movies. They over analyze and criticize every movie.

I however love to enjoy movies at face value. I won't lie, to date no terminator movie after T2 has even come close to making me feel exited watching it the first time the way T2 did, until now.

I thought this latest movie was fantastic, and I was not alone. I saw a preview screening with about 20% normal people and 80% press last night. It was obvious throughout the movie that the audience was very into the movie and at the end it got a standing ovation. What does that tell you? I could not wait for what came next.

It won't surprise me a bit if half those reviewers that stood and clapped give the movie a bad review because thats what they do, or they think they are expected to do.

Don't listen to reviews or the haters. Go see this movie while you can on the big screen. If you liked the first 2 movies this movie is very much more along those lines than the other sequels.

Arnold being old fits great! The story is fantastic. The effects fantastic. Casting fantastic. For the first time in a long time I actually felt like I saw special effects I have not seen before.

This movie deserves your attendance. Go have fun! I may go see it again this weekend.
  • I am a huge Terminator fan. Terminator 2 is my favorite movie ever, and I find it to be the best movie ever made.

So yeah, this review is biased, but not to an extreme degree.

Let me just say: Yes, there is some cheesiness to this movie, but I just don't really care. I want entertainment.

Terminator Genisys is an excellent movie for Terminator fans. It's for the fans. It's the Terminator sequel we deserve. I'm one of those who liked Terminator 3, but Genisys is definitely more in tune with Camerons original two.

If you are not a fan, though. First off, why are you not a fan? Either you are too young, or you.. well, what the hell's wrong with you!? (Kidding...A little bit) Anyway, if you are not a fan this is still an entertaining action movie. It looks really good, the effects are pretty much top notch, the action is entertaining, the parts that are supposed to be are exciting, the acting is mostly solid. Some reviews I've seen say it's devoid of humor, but I disagree. There are small jokes sprinkled pretty evenly around.

But for the fans.. Oh my. This is so in tune with Camerons originals! I think the only one who could have made this any better is Cameron himself.

Of course, it would have been a much better movie-experience if the trailers hadn't spoiled so much, but whaddayagonnado!? When there's a trailer for a new Terminator-movie, I'm gonna see that trailer.

But even if the trailers spoiled a lot, I won't.

I will say this though. There are a lot of nods, references, and direct connections to Camerons originals here. You will recognize plenty of stuff. Some big, some smaller. Sound effects, visual stuff, it is very true to Camerons vision. Very nice. And the song, oh, just pierces my heart!

I am also happy to say that they have brought back some of the more emotional concepts that we loved from T2, and that was sorely missing from T3. Not to the same extent as in T2, but still, a lot better than the two previous entries.

Funny thing is that almost none of the main actors are American, haha. Austria, Australia, England, Korea representin'! Anyhow, the actors are all good. I'm not super loving Jay Courtney, but he did alright. Emilia, Jason, Byung-hun - all real good. Seeing Arnold again, damn! He is just great. Just seeing his name at the beginning, I almost teared up!

The fact that it's PG13 didn't bother me much either. Yeah the blood was awesome in T2, but it's alright that we don't get it here. As for the nudity, it wouldn't have hurt us, but hey, partial nudity is alright too. Anyway the rating doesn't take anything away, there's still plenty of violence.

It is just fantastic to see Terminator-stuff made with 2015- technology. Those endoskeletons.. Awesome! And a certain scene partially lifted from a certain movie, damn! So cool to see.

I haven't got much bad to say, some of the dialogue and one-liners could have been a tad better, a couple of the jokes are a little overused, but it's mostly nitpicking I think.

Also, yes, there are plot holes, but what do you expect? The whole premise of Terminator is impossible anyway.

I can honestly say, as a life long (I saw T2 the first time when I was really little) Terminator-fan, I enjoyed the hell out of this. Already looking forward to seeing it again. It was at times perfect. Very entertaining.

Now go see it people, so it makes good in them boxoffices. I want more of these!
    Long gone are the good old days when the Terminator movies used to be a sci-fi thriller. The genre has been completely changed into a family action adventure movie, where many of the jokes seem to appeal to little kids like trying to make a robot smile. There was nothing thrilling about any of the action sequences, as they were all too similar to other big studio films from the past. The terminator battling himself had as much thrill as Lindsay Lohan fencing against herself at summer camp in the Parent Trap.

The Guardian terminator seemed overly concerned about having Kyle Reese and Sarah Connor have a child, as he repeatedly asks "Did you mate?" He wants the two to get together and set the way for John Connor's parents. The emotional attachment Sarah Connor shows to Pops by hugging him is like one of the twins from Parent Trap hugging her parent.

The trailers seemed to indicate that it was still a sci-fi thriller, but that was not the case.
  • bboop_kv24 September 2015
    I really loved the way they seamlessly tied this in with the first two movies. The visuals were outstanding! The old T100 looked exactly as the original! Arnold's portrayal of this T800 was wonderful. The interactions between he and Sarah made for a great emotional basis for their relationship. I loved Michael Biehn's portrayal of Kyle Reese in the first film and was afraid of being disappointed in Jai Courtney's reprisal of the role (though I am a fan of him as well) but was pleasantly surprised by it. I did think it was a bit of a slip up when they failed to explain how the T1000 was able to time travel back to 1984 since he is not metal encased in living flesh but it was too minor of a mistake to bother me much. I look forward to the next installment, especially if this is any indication of the direction they are going.
  • I say this with a heavy heart, believe you me but this, in my honest opinion was one of the worst films I've ever seen. It hurt me, Im genuinely distraught.

When I heard they were producing a new Terminator I was apprehensive, what started out as a once great franchise has been marred with misgivings for quite some time but I wanted to believe it could be something again. At the very least I was expecting some thrills and a mildly entertaining action film, what I got was a train wreck of muddled plot points, illogical structures and a complete crumbling of a much beloved film franchise.

Im a fan of the Terminator franchise, while 3 and Salvation are often considered pretty dire, I honestly thought thats as low as you could get but this film s*&ts all over those two. It disregards absolutely everything we appreciated about 1 & 2.

The whole story is a confused mess and I genuinely found it boring, I love cinema yet I found myself staring at my watch more than once throughout.

I am actually in disbelief as to how it's already been commissioned for 2 other films as part of a new trilogy and am shocked that Cameron gave it his blessing. It doesn't make sense to me, not one bit.

Im not gonna spoil anything for anyone, all I can say is don't go see it. Wait until its released on DVD or whatever else because you're missing nothing on the big screen and all you are doing is giving money to something that deserves to be forgotten.

I don't usually write reviews on IMDb, this is my first I think, at least my first in living memory but I was so outraged by what I've just witnessed that I had to warn you whoever reads this, save you money and 2 plus hours on anything else.

1 star is all its getting and thats only because I cant give lower.
  • Let me start by saying this film does not deserve the universal panning it is receiving by critics. There still seems to be a bunch of people out there who like to whine and complain about how nothing will ever top T1 and T2 that they probably hated this film before they even watched it. In my honest opinion...this will was great. It introduced a fresh take on the series, it had emotional depth and the characters were well cast. Emilia Clarke proved her acting chops as Sarah Connor and was able to show her action heroine side whilst also showing the sensitive side we see quite often in GoT. Jason Clarke and Jai Courtney played John Connor and Kyle Reese brilliantly with each stepping easily into the role and exploring sides of the character we have never seen before. Arnie as always was brilliant, he has stepped back into this role as if it were only yesterday and with doors open that allow him to explore sides to the T-800 we've never seen before. He creates a number of humorous moments that you can't help but smile at and his relationship with Emilia Clarke in the film is excellent. The CGI in this film is also outstanding, it's great to see just how realistic the terminator world looks in 2015 (especially seeing how cgi has made the T- 1000 even more bad-ass)! The story is excellent and not much can be given away without spoilers but it is safe to say that 1984 is very very different from the first film and Sarah Connor is not who we expect her to be. The only downfall for me was that the time travel and alternate timelines can become quite confusing but thankfully it starts to become much clearer towards the end! Overall, without having to spoil the film, this is a must see for any terminator fan...with nods to the original film and mind blowing changes I had goosebumps at a great deal of moments. Ignore the reviews and go see this film...lets just hope this franchise isn't terminated anytime soon!
  • Worst Terminator ever and a mockery of everything that was credible before! The very first Terminator had that awesome tragic vibe and hopelessness about it, when Kyle Reese (the scarred, traumatised, thin man, grown up starving and surviving, as best as he could, in the world destroyed by war) was the only hope of the oblivious humanity, and even he didn't believe in himself, but made his ultimate sacrifice through pain, suffering and death, nonetheless. He and Sarah were just two regular human beings, children of their worlds.

I can't believe they just re-wrote all of that, turning it all into... this. Now it's just a ridiculous, plastic action film with no soul.

The actors are cardboards. The way they act has no resemblance to the original characters. Jai Courtney is NOT Kyle and Emilia Clarke is, most definitely, NOT Sarah. It doesn't look like they even tried. If I was that bad at my job, I would've been sacked. The two shouldn't have even been considered in the first place.

Thanks for ruining another great franchise, Hollywood!
  • I went to watch this movie expecting a complete disaster based on all the reviews that I read. After seeing it, I'm surprised that so many people dislike this movie. It's actually very entertaining and it certainly doesn't deserve the level of criticism aimed at it. This is coming from someone who watched the first two Terminator films three weeks ago in anticipation of this movie. Maybe the problem is that many viewers are so emotionally attached to this franchise and have high expectations and standards for this movie. There's nothing wrong with that, but if you go watch this movie with that mindset then you will be disappointed. I don't think this is a movie that takes itself very seriously. It's just good harmless fun.

The problem is this movie markets itself as the third true sequel of the early Terminator films, so it's not unreasonable to expect it to be on the same level as the other two. It's not, but I don't care. I really liked it.