• Perspective: I am 25, Danish (thus understanding Swedish) and have not read the books.

The final movie covering Stieg Larssons Millennium trilogy ties all the pieces together and explains the deeper reasons for Lisbeth Salanders unreasonable treatment by society.

Compared to its predecessors, I found the first movie highly gripping for its unique roughness and interesting characters, while the sequel didn't really catch me due to a plain storyline and little creativity. This movie however is back on track, keeping a good pace of events and complexity.

If you have already followed Salander and Blomkvist during the previous books/movies, you will surely enjoy watching how the conspiracy is being unraveled through intense investigations and court trials. You will experience how the opposition crumble beneath Salander and Blomkvists combined efforts at exposing and confronting the deeper reasons for Salanders struggles, and how they piece the puzzle together to clear her name and taking down the shady factions of society.

The movie has a nice level of well thought out detail, but also a several logical breaches. You leave the cinema with a feeling of wanting to know much more about how the initial conspiracy evolved and how parts of the investigation (not involving the key characters) is carried out. This is likely due to the dept of Stieg Larssons books, being impossible to portrait in just 150 swift minutes. This may eventually be a teaser lurking me into reading the books.
  • "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" ends the Millennium Trilogy from Swedish television.

Taking up where the second chapter left off, Lisbeth Salandar (Noomi Rapace) is in the hospital, recovering from her wounds. She's also under arrest. Her father, Alexander Zalachenko, survived and is in the same hospital. There is a move afoot to charge her with attempted murder but also to have her committed to a mental institution again.

Mikael Blomkvist (Michael Nyqvist) is devoting a special issue of Millennium to getting justice for Lisbeth. He soon learns that the people behind attempting to silence Lisbeth will stop at nothing to achieve their goal. Mikael and Lisbeth work separately again to clear her name and keep her from being either imprisoned or committed.

Good ending to this trilogy, as it wraps up the story very nicely. Rapace's magnificent presence and total immersion into the role again dominates, with Nyqvist also excellent as Blomkvist, demonstrating his quiet determination to help Lisbeth.

Despite the pervasive dark atmosphere (which the story demands) and some really major violence in the first episode, which is not my thing, I really am very glad I watched the Swedish version of this trilogy and do not plan on viewing the American version. In fact, I'm not even sure why they're making it, except that no one in Hollywood is interested in doing anything original. The Swedish "The Girl" trio will be hard to beat.
  • I will not call this a third part in the Millennium series, since it starts exactly where The Girl Who Played with Fire left off and continues with the same story. However, if the first film was a classic mystery thriller and the second film was more of an action thriller, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest goes in the direction of a political thriller. Spies, government agencies, covert operations, etc. It successfully explains things and closes all avenues opened by the first two films.

I have to say that I felt the movie both unreal and gratifying. Trained with US films about shadow agencies that kill anyone stand in their way, I found the Swedish counterparts meek and overly cautious. But what version is the more realistic one, I have no idea. So, yes, it felt strangely different from American thrillers, but it also made sense. Clearly it has a refreshing point of view on the matter.

Bottom line: I guess there is little purpose in watching this film and not watch the other two preceding it in the trilogy. And since you liked the other two, you should see this one as well. I enjoyed it, it explained everything that was left unexplained and everybody got their share. Of course, there is still room for another Micke and Lisbeth story, but clearly with a new plot.
  • 'THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET'S NEST': Four and a Half Stars (Out of Five)

The third part in the wildly popular Swedish crime series the 'Millennium Trilogy' (following 'THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO' and 'THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE', both released earlier this year in America and last year in Sweden and other parts of the world.) based on the successful books by the late Stieg Larson (who died in 2004 before the first book was published in 2005). The films are so successful that they're already being remade in America, the first of which is to be directed by David Fincher and star Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig. This final chapter is adapted by Ulf Ryberg and directed by Daniel Alfredson, who also directed the second installment (the original was directed by Niels Arden Oplev). The title has been changed from it's original Swedish title of 'The Air Castle That Blew Up' for American audiences, like the original's title was changed from 'Men Who Hate Women'. The film once again stars the beautiful and stunning Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth Salander (the title role) and Michael Nyqvist as Mikael Blomkvist.

As the movie opens Lisbeth is being taken to a hospital for urgent care due to being shot multiple times, including a head shot, by her father at the climax of the second film. The police are awaiting her recovery so they can arrest her and charge her with the attempted murder of her father, who she struck in the head with an ax in self defense. Her freakish, abnormally strong half brother (once again played by Micke Spreitz) is also waiting to finish the job he and his father started of killing Lisbeth. It's up to her journalist friend Mikael and his Millennium magazine co-workers to clear her name and bring the conspirators against her to justice. The people out to silence Lisbeth are very powerful though and Mikael and his team soon find themselves in grave danger as well.

The film has received only mediocre reviews from critics, with many calling it a boring disappointment, but the fans so far mostly think otherwise. The packed 'Darkside Cinema' viewing I attended appeared to love it, with many cheering the film throughout and applauding the ending. I found the film to be much more entertaining and involving than reviews had lead me to believe and thought it was a very satisfactory conclusion to a great trilogy. While it doesn't quite live up to the classic original it is better than the second chapter, despite a decrease in action and violence. It's suspenseful as well as emotionally drenching and full of crowd pleasing moments. The court room drama that fills the third act is extremely captivating and emotionally involving. The directing and cinematography are superb as well as the thrilling score (once again composed by Jacob Groth). The acting is all stellar as well, especially Rapace who once again steals the show (with a character soon to become iconic). It's a well made and satisfying conclusion to an outstanding trilogy that should please almost any fan, despite what critics say.

Watch our review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffxjYiwLUko
  • The final instalment in the series and, I have to say it was worth the wait, I watched the two previous instalments and was left with excitement and anticipation for the third. This final instalment did not disappoint it had me gripped from beginning to end with some real tense scenes and excellent dialogue between the characters, interspersed with scenes of chilling realism and tense action. This film sums up for me what Hollywood has lacked for......well years, in that special effects and action sequences although entertaining (barely) do not work unless they actually have a story that is both engrossing and also contains actors that grab you and bring you into the film. Anyway before I get on a rant this film and the whole trilogy are worth watching and I can't recommend them enough.
  • The final film in the Millennium Trilogy and what a great film is it, right up there with it's precursors.

We learn even more about Lisbeth's, hidden organisations, and how everything is linked. The pieces of the puzzle come together, and I felt the film explained almost everything pretty cleverly, though this does involve some concentration from the viewer, because some of the links are not emphasised that well and maybe can be missed.

This is more similar to the first one, in the style of directing and also the ruthless reporting is back. Less action than the first, but no less enthralling for it. There is a lot of tension in this movie, and it made for compulsive viewing.

These three films have turned me more onto more modern Swedish Cinema. I was always a fan of Bergman and I have seen a few movies over the last few years from there, but this makes me want to keep a closer eye on the Swedish Film Making Industry. Great success guys, I look forward to seeing much more cinema from Sweden. Now I will read the books.

9/10 Excellent
  • Just back from seeing Hornet's - I guess there's only one hornet in the - Nest. Great conclusion to a trilogy of well done movies. I was glued to my seat at the theater, and not by gummy bears. While the movie was long, I didn't notice. I was captivated by the story and will say that the other two must be seen before this one.

The books have been wildly popular. Wish the movies were more widely distributed so others could enjoy them as much as I did.

Thumbs up to the Swedish film makers. Thumbs up to the cast, especially Noomi. Simply great work.

Highly recommended. 9/10
  • After watching Hornet's Nest, you'll want to go back to Dragon Tattoo and experience all three films again in sequence. Like coming to the end of an exceptional book, you'll hope for more, surely another way to eke out a Lisbeth Salander film to enjoy. She has become with this trilogy one of the strongest female characters in 21st century film. No wonder actresses were battling to play her--she is the equivalent to Jason Bourne in any regard. (I can't imagine Hollywood doing a better job of these films--can you?)

I believe Hornet's Nest is best of the bunch. Salander is cornered, in hospital and under arrest, in danger of being recommitted to the institution that held her under guardianship. Despite her uncommunicative nature, Salander has friends, true friends who'll stick their necks out to protect her. But Salander is always willing to fight for herself, and she finds ways to do battle.

Hornet's Nest gives us a better film than the other in terms of suspense and dramatic flow. The pieces assemble, the foes are distinguished from the good guys, there is conflict and threat launched in surprising ways. Of the three, Hornet's Nest is the most suspenseful and best executed of the films in my opinion, a superb finish to a wonderful series.

Excuse me while I start reading the books.
  • Excellent! In my opinion, maybe the best of the three installments of the 'Millenium' trilogy. I tend to disagree with Mr. Berardinelli's review in calling this 'an abject failure as a stand-alone motion picture', simply because it was never supposed to be a stand-alone motion picture. In Sweden, this was just part 5 and 6 of a TV Miniseries, and for being that it is excellent! My compliments to the Director, the writer and the entire cast.

Like Ebert, I also hope they manage to complete the 2 unfinished scripts by Stieg Larsson thus giving us parts 4 and 5 of this Saga. I will definitely be looking forward to it, both as books and movies!
  • rossdisco26 November 2010
    I would never normally write reviews, however after being disgusted by the unbelievable 6.7/10 I had to comment.

For the fact that there is rarely a trilogy of such merit, and yes we can all name the few that come to mind, that in itself deserves credit.

The finale was definitely the highlight, with all loose ends tied and also so satisfactorily lacking the Hollywood ending that we've all known to come and hate, I couldn't have enjoyed it more.

The only things that upsets me now is I might not be strong enough to avoid curiosity and peek at the Hollywood attempt. Though rest assured my curiosity will be spent within the opening sequences I am sure.

The great thing about this trilogy is that I have watched it on my own and now have the excuse to watch again with friends! Enjoy.
  • One thing is for sure. No one can accuse the film adaptations of The Millennium Trilogy of being rehashes of one another.

Where the first movie was a murder mystery, and the second was well...I'm not really sure. Somewhat of a mess. The third movie is a combination of a political thriller and a courtroom drama. All the threads that were laid in the first two movies are wrapped up neatly (and admittedly, somewhat conveniently), by the end of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest.

As far as quality goes, I'd put it between the first and third movies. It's not as amazing as The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest, but it's a definite improvement in coherence over The Girl Who Played with Fire.

I thought it was a reasonably strong end to the trilogy, and I admittedly felt some strong satisfaction at seeing some of the events that happen in this movie. Let's just say that some things get set right, and some people get their much needed comeuppance. Watching this will help wash the mediocre taste of the previous movie out of your mouth.
  • aharmas11 November 2010
    The end of the trilogy ends with a bang, well, maybe a series of explosive moments. Some of these are of the psychological and emotional kind, and the fact that we get the principals in the courtroom couldn't have more appropriate.

Watching our heroine play rough and have her action moments in the second installment was indeed plenty of fun, but the core of the story is her inner fury, her drive for revenge, and most importantly the way the actress portrays her raw intelligence and resourcefulness. She is one of the most thrilling and imaginative creations of the last decade. In "Hornet" she is back, after a much needed rehabilitation stint at a hospital, with her batteries fully charged, ready to confront her tormentors and have them convicted.

The film does not cover every element of the book, and some purists might argue that some details have been completely changed, but in the end, the main ideas are, and our heroine still shines.
    One of the best movies I've ever seen and definitely THE very best happy-ending-movie! That means something, cause I consider movies being my hobby and I've seen quite a few (not really into books). Justice is served finally and totally. Yet it doesn't make the movie seem like most of the other movies in the happy-ending-genre. The film was all action without much action. Not a moment where the story doesn't progress. It is very different from the first two, and dare I say, in a good way. I find this to be the only movie trilogy I've seen where the final movie is actually the best. I found myself loving the movie on many occasions. If you've seen the first two this is a must. If not, watch them first and then come back for this one. It's worth it!
    Contrary to some of the other reviewers, I thought "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" to be the best of the three films in the Millennium series. Why? Because it sustains the suspense inherent in the plot from beginning to end. And it brings the trilogy to a satisfying conclusion when, for the first time, Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace) utters the words "Thank you" to Michael Nyqvist (Mikael Blomkvist) for the favor he has done her in saving her life. Finally, the viewer of the three films may believe that this strange, tormented, withdrawn girl child may actually find peace now that all her demons have been vanquished. After seeing all three films, I still don't know how Hollywood can succeed in replacing Noomi Rapace as the central figure in the story. Surely, like most Swedes, she can speak English and, if she has an accent, why shouldn't she, since her character is a Swede and the action takes place in and around Stockholm? Unless of course, Hollywood moves it to some other locale. In which case, I hope someone has a camera focused on Stieg Larsson's grave to watch him rolling over.
  • Greetings again from the darkness. Part 3 of the Stieg Larsson Millennium trilogy brings to an end this fascinating multi-dimensional mystery-thriller centered around one of the most absorbing characters ever viewed on screen, Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace). While I have anxiously awaited this final chapter, I must admit to a touch of emptiness in not having more to anticipate.

As with any literary adaptation, there will be devotees of the written word who say the film versions don't do justice to the books. I have purposefully waited until seeing all three films to begin reading the books. What I will say is that from a pure film perspective, the 3 films are fascinating, thrilling and pure joy to follow.

As a stand alone, part 3 can be watched as a whole ... however, I would promote the full benefit of watching the three in chronological order. The sum is much greater than any of the 3 pieces, though I will say that part one (Dragon Tattoo) is the superior film of the 3.

Part 3 begins with a flashback to the end of 2, and has Lisbeth and her scumbag father in the hospital recovering from their violent meeting. Her goon half-brother Niedermann (Micke Spreitz) is on the hunt for revenge. Mikael Blomkvist (Michael Nyqvist) and his team at Millennium are putting together a comprehensive story to help in Lisbeth's defense and to prevent her from being institutionalized.

This is where we really are introduced to the players of The Section, the secret society of Swedish Police. This group from the 60's seems to have no boundaries and will do whatever necessary to prevent exposure of their group. Their power is on display early on.

What follows is a very complex weave of intricate plot lines that fall across many levels of Swedish society. At the epicenter is Lisbeth and her knowledge of her father's deeds over the years. Best to keep her quiet.

As she recovers from her injuries, we see the Millennium team start putting the pieces together with the help of the police. Lisbeth's attorney Annika, has little luck in convincing her to speak with an independent shrink to prove her competence. Instead it falls to Dr. Teleborian, who has been a source of misery for Lisbeth since childhood. How things come together is quite fun to watch.

There are so many things that make Lisbeth captivating as a character. Her lack of trust in everyone. Her struggles to communicate with other in anything more than grunts. Her outright brilliance when backed into a corner. On and on. She is no white knight, but she does have her own body armor ... spikes, piercings and hairspray.

Lisbeth's saga has been a movie-going pleasure and I am sad to see it end. Though Larsson is dead, it's not difficult to imagine a writer picking up where he left off and come up with additional story lines. Until then, the best we get is the Americanized version with Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara. I trust Ms. Mara understands how high the bar was set by Noomi Rapace.
  • These Swedish films are based on author Stieg Larsson's very popular "Millennium" trilogy of books.

The "Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" is the first, and "The Girl Who Played With Fire" is the second, while "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest" is the last in the series.

All three should be viewed in sequence. Be sure to get the Swedish originals instead of the Hollywood remakes.

Each of the three is stylistically different, but each is qualitatively in the top 10 percent of movies ever made - a 10 rating.

Tattoo is essentially a murder mystery and is nicely developed at a relaxed pace. The main point in this is the introduction of the girl, who is a fascinating personality that constitutes a underlying mystery within the mystery explored in the film itself. This mystery of the Girl is revealed in the next two films in the series.

Fire is a mystery-action movie, and unlike the relaxed pace of Tattoo (to emphasis the mystery), Fire has a fast pace that emphasizes the action.

The mystery of the Girl is completely revealed in Nest, the final movie. Simultaneous plots are shown in shifts back and forth, which is potentially confusing for some viewers. However, this is skillfully accomplished as the plots of the investigation, the trial, and the experiences of the girl through all of this are depicted.

This is an outstanding set of three movies. People that don't speak Swedish and who do not like sub-titles may not like this aspect of the movies, but there is also a fine version of Tattoo (the first movie) that is English dubbed. English dubbed versions of the second and third of the set may be forthcoming.
  • I am in deep sorrow that Steig was not allowed to continue his writing. Like all great series, if made in to one grand movie we would say it was too long or not detailed enough. It would need to be; to flesh out all the characters and action. However as an English speaking/reading person, I thought the books were translated with finesse and watching the movies they are well crafted so that one follows the storyline even when reading the subtitles. I will buy all the dvds for my library as I have the books.

The third movie/book wraps all the story lines in a rough basket and you can breathe a deep sign when it is over.

I must add a word of caution to anyone reading this. These movies will not make as much sense or be as much of an impact to the person who has not read the books. There is a plot, but all the nuances will be lost on the non-reader. Read the books first! I am fearful of the American version that is to be made. While I like the casting of Mikael in the US version better than the original, I worry about miscasting of the rest. It can make or break a movie in my opinion. OH BE CAREFUL!! The woman who played in the original will be tough to recreate, she was perfect for the part!
  • I didn't like the third part of the Millennium trilogy as much as the second but it was better than the 1st part for sure. We have a more fleshed out group of characters to contend with now and the plot of the series has become so expansive you can hardly believe these two rather insignificant people have so much on their plates.

The final installment in the Millennium trilogy continues off where the 1st and 2nd movie leaves off as we find Lisbeth being air lifted out of Zala's compound and near death. Meanwhile the authorities seek Lisbeth to indict her for attempted murder and a slew of other alleged misdeeds but Blomqvist still stands by steadfast and armed with the truth.

We see more into the reason why a mysterious group of unknown individuals seeks to discredit Lisbeth and silence her to protect the man called Zala and what his significance is to the mysterious group.

The whole of Lisbeth's past and the present circumstances surrounding Zala and the mystery men come together like an immovable object and an unstoppable force as the story reaches its ultimate climax towards the end. All the while, Niedermann lurks in wait.

I was beyond blown away by the trilogy as a whole and recommend you watch all three in sequence. Bravo.
    As this film, the final installment in the Millennium trilogy, begins, (SPOILERS AHEAD) Lisbeth Salander is in a hospital, recovering from the bullet in the head she got at the end of part II. Soon her father (the Ukrainian mobster who tried to kill her) is dead, but nevertheless she remains on the run from his minions, especially the blond monster of the second part who here is shockingly revealed to be her half brother. One could argue that the Millennium trilogy is a metaphor or indictment of the rottenness of Swedish society, but if the first movie worked (the best in the trilogy by a long shot) was as a very exciting action movie with a compelling mystery. If that first part was a great, gripping film, Millennium II was unpleasant, disjointed and confusing. Millennium III give us the loose ends in the first two parts, and is much better than II, though not up to the first movie. It can be confusing at the start, and for much of the running time it has the look of a condensed miniseries, as if several hours were resumed in two and a half. Also, I found that the long trial scene, while explaining much of Lisbeth's motivations, was a drag to watch. Fortunately, the final fifteen minutes make a very satisfying end to the trilogy. One reason the final two installments were not up to the first is that they were shot by a different director: Niels Oplev is clearly a much better director than Daniel Alfredson. But the ending redeems this movie, making it worthwhile to see.
    Ah, the Millennium Trilogy – otherwise known as The Good, The Bad and the Unbelievably Boring. Well, I say 'Good'; to clarify, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, in which a hack and a hacker take on evil Swedish industrialists (they're neo-Nazis! And serial killers! They're neo-Nazi serial-killers!), is only fractionally more readable than the scriptures of Dan Brown.

But in truth, all of Stieg Larsson's posthumous bestsellers – shaggy dog stories with particular emphasis on the shag – fair groan with the self-same Mogadon exposition and naff throwbacks. Tattooed, bisexual computer hackers kitted out like Camden cybergoths? Seriously, what year is this again, 1995?

Inevitably, this shockingly profitable pulp has spawned some equally successful if wretchedly pedestrian made-for-TV movies, containing some of the most mystifying subtitling in history, and with sequel The Girl Who Played With Fire, a deranged lurch into James Bond-style silliness – "Yes Meester Blomquist, my giant blonde henchman feels no pain, mwahahaha!" Here's the final chapter in which Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace) is recovering in hospital after being turned into a salt shaker by her old man. However, with both the law patiently waiting to arrest her, and her donkey-dumb half-brother Ronald Niedermann (Micke Spreitz) itching to finish her off, Salander's troubles are hardly over.

Meanwhile, that pervy old journo Mikael Blomkvist (Michael Nyqvist), the kind of man who'd pester a damp patch on the wall if it was shaped like a bra, fights to clear her name, before she eventually hauls her tormenters to court. All of which is so life-sappingly drawn-out, the Grim Reaper actually hung around long enough to pop a 'Sorry you were out' card through my letterbox.

This is one final course of Europudding that may leave audiences feeling less satisfied than simply bloated. And a prediction, then: from a purely dramatic point of view, David Fincher's Hollywood remake, starring Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig, will give the material a badly needed kick up the bum. And hopefully reignite the debate: that a purportedly 'feminist' franchise, featuring a kick-ass babe who "sometimes looks 14" and gets breast implants at one point to "improve the quality of her life", doesn't half like to linger over graphic images of raped and murdered females.

Also, a suggestion: how about if movies and novels that exploit pronounced psychiatric illness or carry scenes of violence against women for entertainment purposes donated half their profits to mental health charities or rape crisis centres? Crazy idea, I know.
    It is a long and not very interesting story why I watched the third one first. Part of the story is that it is being re-made as an American movie.

My wife read the books and told me she "couldn't put them down." So we found this on DVD at our public library. We watched it with English dubbing, my wife doesn't care for reading subtitles while she is watching a movie.

The "girl" in the various titles is Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth Salander. She had a curious start, the daughter of a prostitute, with a very bad man for a father. As we learn through the dialog here, she witnessed her father being very abusive to her mother and in retaliation, when she was but a girl, doused him with gasoline and tried to burn him to death. He survived, facially disfigured, and Lisbeth was sent to a facility as a troubled, possibly insane child.

As this movie begins we see Lisbeth and her father in the hospital, seems she was out as a young adult in her 20s, and she is accused of attempted murder of her father with a ax.

Most of the movie involves a reporter and his lawyer sister looking for a defense for Lisbeth. The nemesis is the psychologist who years earlier had examined Lisbeth and declared her institutionalized. In present time he was on the side of the prosecution.

Good movie, but not great. We enjoyed it for what it is. I especially like the Lisbeth character, she is smart and her own person. Now I need to see the first two movies. They are on their way!!

SPOILERS: The defense hinged on evidence supporting Lisbeth's claim that she had been abused while in the institution. In spite of the psychologists protestations, Lisbeth presented a video she had made secretly, of her caretaker raping her and doing other unlawful things. Plus with the help of a hacker friend, found evidence on his computer that the psychologist was involved in child pornography. In the end Lisbeth was freed, many others were arrested.
  • Once again, we are thrust into the lives of the stunning Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth Salander (the title role) and Michael Nyqvist as Mikael Blomkvist. We will be treated to excellent acting and a compelling ending to the trilogy written by Stieg Larson.

The action of the first two films is replaced with a tense thriller as we see the attempt to quiet our two heroes permanently, while they use all their resources to expose a secret agency much like that in the Bourne Trilogy. This agency was developed solely to protect a Russian defector, and they will stop at nothing to achieve their objectives and protect themselves.

This is one film where the critics are full of it as they missed the point. The courtroom scenes are brilliant, and there are many moments in the film where fans can cheer.

A most satisfying ending to a great trilogy.
    From a great first film, the quality of the film series markedly decreases. However, whilst it certainly wasn't brilliant, The Girl Who Played With Fire still had plenty of action, twists, and a threatening (albeit unlikely) villain, The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest, by comparison, is little more than a tedious courtroom drama with a bolted-on conspiracy angle. Lisbeth is hardly in it and doesn't appear to kick anything. And when her big moment comes, striding into the court in full punk ensemble, she looks so hopelessly dated and fashionably out-of-touch it is a wonder the lawyers and judges didn't laugh, share memories of seeing their parents in photo albums wearing such outlandish garb in 1976, and then call the Fashion Police. Meanwhile, Blomkvist mooches about like a teenager moodily moaning about the fact that his editor has blocked the publication of a seemingly Earth-shattering edition of Millennium. However, when he petulantly publishes said periodical (wilfully ignoring threats to the editor and staff), the much-vaunted exposé is barely registered. Moreover, much of the 'drama' surrounding this issue consists of the group sitting around a table saying "Give that feature 30 pages, and this one 20 pages", although I've never read a magazine that devotes Tolstoy-like word counts to single features, I must say. Journalistic brevity is certainly not the Millennium crowd's forte, that's for sure. Indeed, while the previous films depicted Blomkvist as a dogged paragon of the truth and fact-finding, he doesn't really do much in this film. Plus, having established the fearsome Neidermann in the previous instalment, here he also just mooches around (mooching is the dominant trope of the finale, it seems), randomly tying women up, throwing them out of cars, and casting cyclists into rivers (a sure-bet strategy when trying to keep a low profile). But, the biggest crime of the film is his and Lisbeth's final confrontation, and the depiction of his 'doom' is a total anti-climax. So, given the interminable length of the film, it is surprising that so little occurs, and perhaps the series really should have started and ended with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Oh, and the film has to have the most under-whelming final scene in the entire history of cinematic trilogies, and one can easily imagine Blomkvist walking away from the surly Salander (whom he has saved from prison) at the end saying to himself, "Why did I bother?" Pretty much the same thought that the viewer can legitimately ask themselves at the end of this tedious film.
  • Unbelievable anybody would make such a boring nothing happens except bunch of old men stumble around talking, talking, talking for the entire boring movie.
  • What makes the novel series so good and special is how each event intertwines with another event in a unique way. Though it is hard to maintain everything at once in an adaptation, this movie ruins the most important thing, course of events, just to keep the duration short. And then the already limited time is wasted on unnecessary scenes such as those with Niedermann, who only plays a small role in the original story while the Section is barely shown in the film. Not to mention the absence of some key characters and important details like the source of wi-fi in Lisbeth's pocket PC, which creates missing points for people who haven't read the book or forgot some of it.

The movie, as a result, is both shallow and complex at the same time - for the readers, it is not satisfactory; for others, it doesn't make much sense. I think it had to be split into two parts with a more carefully written script, because this plot deserved it.