• Since this movie makes absolutely no effort in concealing it's a knock off of Home Alone, I guess you can let it get away with it. The only difference is, an ex K9 cop named Zeus takes the place of Kevin.

Done on a low budget, and clearly aimed at dog lovers. It's upbeat and silly, and uses slapstick comedy in every scene. Some of the humor is middle school level and below: dog drinking from a toilet, a guy who passes gas a lot, and one character that's a poor man's annoying version of Fred Flintstone. The one scene that echoes the booby traps of Home Alone is fleeting; there's only so much a pup can do, after all. The baddies here are as dumb as the burglars from H. A.

Acting isn't bad, considering how the characters are written. Mario Lopez's voice-over work for Zeus is OK, although the low budget only allows Zeus to be staring at somebody as we hear his thoughts. Oh, Zeus never barks, and the reason is predictable. But it doesn't matter that everything is obvious; this is just some playful silliness for its own sake. Fun enough for a viewing, if you're going to be home (alone or not).
    The Dog Who Saved Christmas is a shamelessly derivative, predictable Christmas movie that really can't help but feel like the low-budget, made-for-TV movie that it is. It's a complete rip-off of other, and not to mention BETTER, Christmas movies. A lack of a joyous Christmas atmosphere is a real buzzkill and the cringe-worthy physical gags only lessen the fun.

Although this review contains some major spoilers, I suggest you just read on. There's no reason for you to actually watch this (Willingly, that is).

After Zeus, a former police-dog, loses his bark, he's sent to the pound (for reasons that are beyond me..) One day, he is adopted by George, a man in need of the security of a burly watch-dog with an intimidating bark. Of course, once he finds out that the dog is incapable of barking, him and his wife ponder taking him back to the pound. Before taking him back, they go to visit grandma for Christmas, and leave Zeus at home. As soon as they leave, two wacky, cartoonish villains break in and attempt to loot the house (for decorations, apparently). This is the perfect opportunity for Zeus to prove himself as a good watch dog. He sets up multiple booby traps and after about a half hour of the robbers goofing off and getting their ass handed to them by a dog, they are ultimately defeated. If you're thinking that this sounds an awful lot like Home Alone, but with a dog, you're right. The last half of the movie is an obvious rip-off and the writers made no attempt to hide it. In the end, the dog gets his bark back and the family decides to keep him. I bet you didn't see that one coming, did you? The stars of the film are people you've probably never heard of. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but when the acting is this terrible, it's probably best that it stays that way. Gary Valentine plays the role of George. His appearance, voice, and acting style are fairly similar to that of Kevin James, who I'm personally not a fan of, but if you are, you'll probably enjoy Valentine as well. The rest of the family's acting is subpar. The two robbers are probably the worst actors in the show. Their goofiness is too unbelievable and over-the-top.

The script was terrible. With lines like "There better not be a dog in there! You know how I feel about dogs! I get panic attacks", it was far too literal and left nothing to the imagination. In fact, it kind of insults the viewer's intelligence. The style of humour is mostly slapstick physical gags with a few talking toilets and gassy fat guys mixed in. Although this doesn't personally tickle my funny-bone, I do realize that a sense of humour is subjective and everybody has different preferences. If this is your sense of humour, you're in for a blast; but if not, you'll hate this movie.

The Dog Who Saved Christmas was a poor effort in basically every aspect. Horrendous acting, scripts, and humour detract from the overall quality, lowering the bar for the standards of made-for-TV movies. I really wouldn't recommend this to anyone, except people who are still in their diaper days.

And you know what the sad thing is? Citizen Kane was on the other channel at the exact same time, but my cousins insisted on torturing me with The Dog Who Saved Christmas instead. :(
    I wish I had. This movie is mindless drivel and toilet humor. It doesn't even deliver a very cute dog, and the main part of the movie is a second rate rip off of Home Alone. It felt like most of the actors didn't even care, and I can't say blame them. The mother character in the film seemed incapable of showing any real powerful emotion and came across as a heartless ice queen. A big question I had is, if the wife wanted an alarm, why couldn't they still keep the dog? Also if she was so convinced the dog was incapable of preventing a break in why would she let them leave it alone in the house on Christmas day! The mice are another annoyance, there pointless characters annoyingly voiced and there humor won't make anyone laugh over the age of 6. Still worse is the fact that there are objectionable scenes in the film for smaller children (theres a scene in the film where the fat criminal is talking about hurting the dog). Anyway I can think of no good reason to watch this as there are many good Christmas movies and even some other doggy ones out there, this one is better left unwatched.
  • Whoever decided to make this movie belongs in jail.
  • One of the worst made for anything movies... Unless it was made by a film student at a community college, thank goodness mini DV tapes are so inexpensive. So sad to see some respectable actors making a movie such as this. The location (SoCal) chosen to represent Connecticut, couldn't have been any worse. Sun Valley, Angeles Crest Highway, representing the East Coast, really?? Palm trees (not to mention chaparral, and evergreen tree lined streets, replacing snow, just doesn't cut it, on any level. The voice over acting or should I really blame the sound editors... In the same room, one actor's voice sounding like its in a can, while the other is respectable. How about wardrobe and props. The thieves were more than dusted with flour, however they were amazingly flour free. The house which was multiple level, I'll give the viewer that, would have the actors on one level... then on another level without taking the stairs. I can't go on... I'll let the viewer get a kick out of ripping this move apart!!
    I don't really good at this but this movie was way too lazy the dogs mouth dont even move with isn't that bad but it felt like home alone but lazy and boring i have just wasted my time with this movie

I would say it more for dog lovers the humor it pathetic and in the beginning was i the only one that realized that the present are broken and the back of the car still has some presents and they left the trunk open AND then don want to let the kids know they have the presents witch is stupid and the burgles are dumb as F i'm sorry and there is just so much a dog can do i mean i don't like maybe u will
    This movie is just another Home Alone flick, except this time, it's a yellow lab named Zeus, that the Banisters reluctantly adopted. However, Zeus has a few issues, similar to Marlie (Marlie & Me) that persuade the mother to insist he be sent back to the pound. In the end the dog redeems himself with the family by appearing to catch two moron burglars. There are a few entertaining scenes in the movie, but I thought the dog and mice narrations were rather irritating to listen to. Overall, the movie was a rather amusing Christmas flick worth seeing just once.

Gary Valentine stars as the father and I have seen him do better in other movies, esp the Zoo Keeper, which was hilarious.
  • myspecialparadise5 December 2012
    They'd have to tie me down, clamp my eyes open, and I would still avert my eyes from this loser. Totally boring, and, frankly, I am sick to death of seeing Dean Cain as the bad guy. He just doesn't suit the part. Unfortunately, he did suit the part of that creep that killed Stacey Peterson and her unborn child ... which pretty much destroyed his career.

The acting is OK, when thinking about the other parts ... but the movie is, as already mentioned, a rip-off of Home Alone, and not even a good rip-off. And, actually, the dog was not that great either. So, walk away and find something better to do with your time. Unless you like being bored. Bottom line is ... nothing special here excepting for the holiday decorations, and one other part mentioned below ... and whom among us want to watch a movie just to see a few good decoration?

Now, let us get to the part that infuriated me ... which is the part played by Elisa Donovan ... shame, shame! Why any woman would consider taking a part, such as this one, where a woman towers over the man, and basically treats him like a child ... well, shame, shame. However, seeing Adrienne Barbeau, as the cat lady, tickled me greatly. Adrienne usually plays the Hard Hearted Hanna roles, and to see her in this role was a lovely Christmas Surprise. We can use seeing more of her in the future ... she has been greatly missed!
  • The Bannisters, George (Gary Valentine) and Belinda (Elisa Donovan) and their two kids have just moved into a new home! Its very large and beautiful so Belinda gets worried about burglars, especially when she sees a notice that a house nearby was robbed. This lady wants a home-security system but George suggests they get a fine watch dog. Wow, do the children love to hear this, but Belinda is skeptical. On his own, George goes to the pound and adopts Zeus (voiced by Mario Lopez) who was once a police dog and who is much like the dog George has as a child. Belinda is not happy he went behind her back! Not only this, Zeus doesn't bark so how can he be a good protector of the house? Yet, George and the kids just love this pooch. Also, they work on a gingerbread house to take to Grandmas, the one thing she really wants. Wouldn't you know, Zeus gets jumpy at the wrong moment and destroys the house? Therefore, Belinda says the dog will have to stay home from the trip to G-ma's and will be returned to the pound when they get back! Poor Zeus. Yet, two bumbling burglars (Dean Cain and Joey Diaz) are prowling the neighborhood and like the Bannisters house, with Zeus "home alone". Can Zeus redeem himself? This funny, wooferific film will delight families with its darling dog, affable actors, and crazy antics! Anyone would love to receive it in their stocking hung with care!
    The Dog That Saved Christmas is not a great movie by any stretch -- I didn't go into this one with high expectations -- but it did have its cute moments despite the cheese galore. Mostly it was an upbeat Christmas special, up until the mother gave up on poor Zeus for his lack of barking and misbehaviour.

The acting was alright, better than I thought it would be. Due to its small budget there were no CGI effects for the talking animals, but I let this pass.

Don't expect much more than fluff; there was plenty of cheese galore throughout the movie; basically it's a Home Alone with a cute dog. I have to say though, I do like the message that rescued dogs can be heroes!
  • Basically this is Home Alone again but with Dog, this family want Guard dogs for Christmas and As husband goes to get this dogs, The dogs he see reminds of he own pet when it was a kid, however Suze Can not bark.

The most of the movie was really about when WILL Suze will be barking, they even trick Suze to see if he barks with a Fake Robber.

Then after movie get really predicable (I normal sad or teary when I find sad scenes in dogs movie) This movie did even not make feel bad for kids at all, I didn't feel that was were really connected to the dogs at.

There were some funny moment in the movie, I laugh at some scenes in this movie But I thought it would have been much more funny then it was.

The acting was really mixed from most the cast, I forgot her name in this movie, The Morgan her name in Sarbina the Teenage witch show , seem really bored in this movie, it like see didn't really wanted in this movie at all, all are lines felt like she forced then out.

The acting was pretty poor as even for Kids movie, I know kids won't notice but adults won't like it.

4 out of 10 (I Hope the sequel are better lol)
    a perfect addition to the holiday season and its a very family friendly Xmas tradtition for future family time in this movie this come out in 2009 on TV i gave this film 6/10 at a short 1hr25mins but jump in a watch this cute Xmas movie The Bannister family's new addition, Zeus (voiced by Mario Lopez of TV's SAVED BY THE BELL), the yellow Labrador, appears to be less than the dependable guard dog the family needs.he wrecks the house and the family decide when they come back he is gone with no bark cause of a trauma However, when two burglars set out to break into the Bannister's home while they're away for Christmas, Zeus seizes the his chance to be a hero and a member of the family and stop being in the dog house so by a guard and a pet proving he can , proving every dog - even this one - has his day. Dean Cain (TV's LOIS & CLARK), Gary Valentine (TV's THE KING OF QUEENS), Elisa Donovan (CLUELESS, TV's SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH), Mindy Sterling (AUSTIN POWERS), and Adrienne Barbeau (MAUDE, CARINVALE) also lend their voices in this heart-warming animated holiday movie
  • Oy, vey! Another talking dog movie!

At least, except for the scenes in the pound, there's only one of them.

Lana, as barkless K-9 certified Zeus, has to be one of the most docile dogs in the business. Her main talents seem to be the ability to open unlocked doors (while the family is away) and to stick her head under a closed toilet lid to drink from the commode.

On the plus side, the human stars include one of my favorite TV-movie actors, Elisa Donovan, married here to Kevin James' look-alike and "King of Queens" brother, Gary Valentine. TV's Superman, Dean Cain, plays the head crook, while forever-sexy Adrienne Barbeau is the neighbor lady with, OMG, a talking cat!

Oh, and have I mentioned the talking mice?