User Reviews (101)

• I haven't seen the original Troma film of which this is based, but I've been looking forward to this one and it was worth the wait! The movie is very well paced, were thrown straight into the horror in the first 10 Min's (and this being a film by Darren Lynn Bousman (saw 2,3,4), there is plenty of horror on show)! Were barely introduced to the characters when the blood starts pouring, but i still found myself caring for each of them! With no sense of what was going to happen next or who was going to die, i was permanently on the edge of my seat! The show belongs to De Mornay, her performance as Mother is as chilling as Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs, cool and calm on second but deadly the next. With some memorable deaths, each totally unexpected, and a few twists along the way, i found this film a real surprise and one every horror fan especially should check out!
  • Now THIS is the type of horror movie remake that I – and surely many other avid genre fanatics with me – certainly don't mind seeing! The new film by Darren Lynn Bousman, who should have turned his back on the "Saw" franchise much sooner, is loosely based on a 1980 flick with the same title. The original "Mother's Day" is an extremely low-budgeted and trashy production from the infamous Troma Studios. That film is obscure and totally insignificant, but at least the basic premise shows enough potential to entertain audiences even 30 years later. I really wished this is how horror remakes were usually handled. There's absolutely no necessity to recycle near-perfect classics such as "A Nightmare on Elm Street" or "The Fog". We need more directors who dig up forgotten gems and unleash an updated and vastly superior version!

"Mother's Day" basically your average thriller about a bunch of people getting home jacked and then subsequently submitted to humiliation, torture and emotional agony. The difference here, however, lies with the entire cast of characters. The homejackers are a totally unseen kind of dysfunctional family and yet the victims are often even more antipathetic. You know, the type of obnoxious and cowardly people prepared to sacrifice their so-called friends in order to save themselves. On the same night a tornado is about to pass through the area and cause a lot of damage, three brothers are on the lam after a failed bank robbery. The youngest one has a lethal bullet wound in his stomach and the three seek shelter in their nearby parental house. Unfortunately, their mother and sister were evicted a couple of months earlier and the house now belongs to Dan and Beth Sohapi, who're just having their friends over for a party. The Koffin brothers take the entire bunch hostage, but then their mommy arrives… Mother Koffin is an intelligent and sophisticated mature woman but, as to be expected, also a deeply disturbed and dangerous psychopath. The homejackers will not hesitate to kill, but the large amount of lies and deceits between the owners and their guests threatens to destroy them even sooner.

"Mother's Day" is an exciting and occasionally even suspenseful horror tale full of gruesome torture/murder sequences and pitch black humor. It has to be said that, with a running time of 112 minutes, the film is a tad overlong and suffers from a few tedious moments near the finale. By that time, even the remarks and behavioral ticks of the mother are becoming a bit derivative. Speaking of which, the titular role means an awesome comeback for early 90's vixen Rebecca De Mornay. She was hot in that period thanks to popular thrillers like "Guilty as Sin", "Never Talk to Strangers" and especially "The Hand that Rocks the Cradle" in which she already portrayed a lunatic nanny. De Mornay hasn't starred in anything significant in nearly 15 years, but now she's back and she looks more ravishing than ever. "Mother's Day" contains numerous bloody and hard-to-stomach images, including the eerie intro set in a hospital and a couple of excruciatingly painful confrontations between victims and kidnappers, so it will definitely be popular amongst young horror fanatics. The film does lack that typically raw and brutal edge, but you can hardly blame Darren Lynn Bousman for that, because true exploitation films are nearly impossible to come by these days. As stated before, this is the second film in which the young director showcases his exceptionally talented skills. This and particularly "Repo! The Genetic Opera" are really cool movies and I hope Bousman doesn't return to the long-extinct "Saw" series.
  • Three brothers are speeding away from a bank robbery. One of them has been shot and needs help. They drive to their mothers house...unaware that she no longer lives there. She lost the house in foreclosure. Now a young couple live there and are having a party with a bunch of friends. The psychos take over and get their mother (Rebecca DeMornay) to come and help them.

This is yet another movie where psychos torture and kill innocent people. Personally I can't stand those types of movies. They're unpleasant and sick--not scary. This is just one more of them. Even worse the acting is so good by everyone it's hard to shake off. The only surprise is that there was no gratuitous female nudity (that's a plus). WAY too long to with a stupid ending. The only reason to watch this is DeMornay. She's incredible in her role. She's so likable but she will kill people without blinking an eyelash. The final fight between her and the "final girl" will have you cheering for DeMorney to get what's coming to her. But it's VERY unpleasant and far too long. I give it a 5.
  • MOTHER'S DAY – CATCH IT ( B+ ) Ever since I heard that gorgeous & brilliant Deborah Ann Woll (True Blood) has been signed on to do a thriller called "Mother's Day" I was anxiously waiting for its release. Finally last week I got hold of Mother's Day and trust me it was more than my expectations. It's not like common violent movies which start with blood & gore. The gore in the movie increases as the situation in the movie gets worse & worse. Director got the perfect cast to play "The Koffins", who invade in a house thinking their mother still lives there and hostage 8 people in the basement. The Koffins are brutal and would do anything to get what they want. Rebecca De Mornay as monstrous mother is powerful & ruthless at her heart. Patrick Flueger as eldest Koffins brother is impressive along with crazy angry Warren Kole. Matt O'Leary is shown being shot & Deborah Ann Woll did a good job as crazy isolated Koffins sister. Among the hostages the girls by far stand out from Jaime king to Briana Evigan, Kandyse McClure, Lisa Marcos & Jessie Rusu everyone did a fantastic job. Among the boys Frank Grillo and Shawn Ashmore did a great job. Alexa Vega & A.J Cook cameo was Okay it was like a "SAW touch". Overall a Mother's Day is a perfect movie to watch & enjoy on your Weekend.
  • This is yet another home invasion movie but one with a bit of a difference. Allied to the usual psychopathic housebreakers is the added ingredient of their mother.

I didn't really buy into the set up as it's pretty far fetched however that's not really the point of these movies so it didn't spoil it for me. Rebecca De Mornay is manic and slightly over the top as the ruthless mother of the psycho's. The rest of the cast put in surprisingly convincing performances.

The film takes plenty of twists and increasingly brutal and at times unrealistic turns but nevertheless always remains horribly watchable. You do almost at times question why you are entertained by the horrific happenings.

The film is very brutal and there are quite a few unpleasant scenes so if you don't like these kind of films you won't like it. For horror fans though this is a well made and very watchable film which is as unpredictable as you could wish for.
  • I came across this movie out of the blue, and I'm really happy I did.

I wasn't expecting much because of the name, 'Mother's Day'; it sounds like a cheap production.

Let me say that I enjoyed this move way more than the remake of "I Spit On Your Grave" and "Last House on the Left".

I was disappointed to see that it only has a 6 star rating, while the other 2 are slightly higher.

The movie does start out a bit slow but if you hang with it until the end there are a few scenes that made this old horror movie lover wince, and that's saying a lot.

The acting was pretty solid, and Rebecca Demornay was absolutely fantastic.

See it if you enjoyed Last House on the Left.
  • Yet another remake that has been churned out from Hollywood over the recent years, and although I've never seen the original I can't really compare the two, but this as a stand alone movie is really good well paced slasher/thriller.

The plot = Three brothers on the run from the police after a botched bank robbery. Unable to escape the small town they're in due to road blocks covering the exits. They make their way back to their old house where they hope to find Mother, whom is the mastermind behind these group of criminals. Unbeknownst to the brothers, their mother recently lost the home due to a foreclosure and it's now the new home to a young couple, who just happen to be having a little house-warming party. The brothers hold them hostage, as they await the return of Mother.

I've only ever seen clips of the original, but from what I can tell that this is almost completely different, such as the setting instead of in the backwoods America we get a suburban house-hold in which I was slightly disappointed, being a huge fan of backwoods survival flicks, but accepted and understood the necessity for the change. The backdrop definitely made it a more realistic take on the story, which seemed to be what the filmmakers were going for. With all the changes, the movie is now more of a home invasion crime thriller than the horror flick that many might've thought it'd be.

The performances in this movie are top notch especially Rebecca De Mornay who plays the sadistic mother showing the audience a kind (yet still devious) and sadistic side of her character and the great lengths that she'd go to protect her family, and it's also nice to see her back in movies again I loved her in "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle" back in the early 90's. Other great performances came from recent slasher stars Jaime King (My Bloody Valentine 3D) and Briana Evigan (Sorority Row) they were great together, Jaime King hits all the right notes especially in her scenes alongside Rebecca De Mornay.

All in all this movie was violent and brutal at all the right times and offered some decent tense parts that involved our hostages attempting to escape, definitely worth watching.
  • Its filled with sadism and for 80% of the film you are really mad at the injustice the victim suffer with little pay back at the end it... This film just got me mad and most actions don't really make sense and not much background on what is happening, a lot of it is just violence for the sake of violence... I love horror films but this was crap. On the up side acting was fine and direction was good and plenty of violence and gore... This film last close to 2 hours.. Way to long for what it offers... The motive of the bad guys was bad and the motive of the good guy was bad as well... And the end makes no sense its just ridiculous also wtf do they really have to give more bad credit to realestate agents haha... Fkn dumb movie not believable...
  • The sadistic members of a villainous family return to their childhood home, which has since been sold, and terrorize the new home owners and their guests.

Right off the bat, I have to give full credit to Rebecca DeMornay. She knows crazy, and she knows how to make it both believable and intense. Despite any flaws this film may have, I find it hard to imagine anyone faulting DeMornay for her role.

Also, I have to say this is a noticeable improvement over the Troma version. I love Troma, and there are enough differences that this could be seen as a different movie rather than a remake, but the production value and professional cast involved made this a top-notch film.

That being said, the film's biggest problem is its length. Running almost two hours, the plot is far too simple for such a length. Cut ten or fifteen minutes out, speed up the pacing, and you have a good film. I kept thinking the confrontations were too long -- get down to it already. I have to admit I lost interest near the end...
  • Excellent remake of Troma's schlocky 80s original. Story has three criminal brothers on the run from a bank robbery gone wrong and they plan to hide out in their childhood home. Unfortunately it's not their home anymore, so they take the couple living there and their party guests hostage and violence becomes the order of the day; especially with the arrival of the boys' psychotic mother...

It's bloody and bloody intense as director Darren Lynn Bousman updates the original to modern times. Featuring torture and humiliation, it's not what you would call a comfortable date movie experience, but the makers manage to blend the trashy exploitation of the source with today's horrifying home invasion themes with considerable success. The narrative is not perfect, with leaps of faith required for some twists and credulity is stretched to breaking point, but with Rebecca De Mornay on fire as the mad matriarch, the flaws are easily forgiven. 8/10
    The first half of "Mother's Day" was not particularly successful, and yet I could see the potential for a compelling crime drama in which human nature is put under a microscope for close examination. The second half was a catastrophe, director Darren Lynn Bousman and screenwriter Scott Milam allowing it to devolve into a sadistic bloodbath. At that point, it becomes just another faceless slasher film, its potential tossed aside in favor of cruelty, elaborate death scenes, and cheap gore effects. Clearly, they entrusted this film to the wrong director, whose familiarity with the horror genre has thus far done him no favors. I eagerly await the return of the Darren Lynn Bousman who helmed "Repo! The Genetic Opera," the audacious and delightfully campy musical film about organ repossession.

Essentially an in-name-only remake of Charles Kaufman's 1980 horror film, "Mother's Day" begins with a brief prologue sequence in which an anonymous woman dressed in a nurse's uniform infiltrates a hospital and steals a baby from the maternity ward. She escaped only because a man in scrubs, presumably another member of her family, was there to graphically stab the security guard in the neck. We then flash forward to the present day – or, more accurately, to 2010, the year this movie was intended to be released in theaters before being pushed back numerous times (and will now be seen in three cities for a grand total of four days before being released on DVD). That's when we meet three brothers on the run from the law after a bank robbery gone wrong, the youngest brother, Johnny (Matt O'Leary), having been shot and their accomplice having fled with all the cash.

They're hoping that their mother can provide them with safe haven until a getaway can be arranged. But when they return to her house in a neighborhood of Wichita, they discover new furniture and all her possessions gone. They don't yet know that the house was lost in a foreclosure and that she now lives in an RV. The new owners are Beth and Daniel Sohapi (Jaime King and Frank Grillo); they're being joined by six guests as they celebrate a birthday in the basement. It isn't long before they become aware of the break-in and become hostages. This is the point at which their mother (Rebecca De Mornay) finally enters the picture and takes full control of the situation. She's a bizarre combination of a polite domestic, a firm disciplinarian, a fierce protector, and a homicidal maniac. She will repeatedly state rules to both her children and the hostages, and she will punish anyone who gets out of line.

Getting her sons across the border will require money. Her boys explain that they slowly mailed her $1,000 in cash. She obviously never got it, seeing as they didn't know about the foreclosure. This means, then, that Beth and Daniel have been receiving it. They both claim to not know what she's talking about. Mother orders everyone to hand over their debit cards and to write down their PIN numbers. She then instructs her son, Ike (Patrick Flueger), to take Beth to an ATM and have her withdraw everyone's money. As they go off into town, Mother searches the house for any trace of the money, which she believes Daniel is hiding. She will also employ physical and psychological manipulation in the hopes of extracting information. In the meantime, a party guest named George (Shawn Ashmore), who claims to be a doctor, is forced into treating Johnny's bullet wound. He eventually meets Mother's daughter, Lydia (Deborah Ann Woll), and tries to make her see that she has been controlled through a series of lies.

The idea of a desperate situation revealing a person's true colors is indeed a good one. The first half of the film shows promise in that regard, the hostages slowly exposed as being less than authentic. Unfortunately, the filmmakers push for contrivances that could have been transplanted from the plot of just about every soap opera ever made. Ultimately, we're left with very few characters that are even remotely likable. Not that characterization matters in the long run; the second half of the film, which begins when Mother promises Johnny that he will not die a virgin, deteriorates into a nihilistic, random, and needlessly violent series of death scenes. They don't quite add up to a full-blown gore fest, although specific shots come pretty darn close.

A final revelation, which actually does little to endear Beth to the audience, paves the way for an ending that amounts to little more than overkill. That overkill even factors into the equation can only be attributed to a failure to adequately follow through on several subplots. Had all the loose ends been tied up, perhaps then we would have had a more appropriate ending, one that doesn't rely on manufactured and implausible thrills. In the hands of a different writer and director, "Mother's Day" could have worked as a humanistic crime drama. Alas, it was handed to filmmakers who care more about carnage than genuine fright. How this movie managed a four-day theatrical run, I'll never be able to figure out. Certain films aren't worthy of being projected on a big screen, even if only for a limited time.

-- Chris Pandolfi (www.atatheaternearyou.net)
  • Returning to their home like normal following a botched bank robbery, a group of criminals begin to terrorize and torment the new owners for the money they believe is being hidden away from them, forcing them into a deadly battle to escape.

Hyper-stylized remake that has a lot of rather poor points rather detrimental in nature. The most obvious is the film's extremely long running time which has a lot of extra time in useless scenes or subplots that drag the film's running time out, from the useless antics of the group out on the errands to the different failed escape attempts as the group bickers and complains about everything, leaving this one exceedingly long. Another rather big problem is the stupidity of the villains, since not only do they fail to keep a check on the group but the whole manner of stumbling into the situation is lazy and feels way too contrived, as well as denigrating into a typical Torture Film routine to deliver the majority of it's scares. While the big confrontations are rewarding action scenes and there's plenty of gore to be had, it's too flawed to overcome them.

Rated R: Graphic Violence and Graphic Language
  • What a mother is she in that movie. unexpected movie that full of action and thriller, also there is a lot of events that gonna make your head blow up.
  • AnthonyMeg5 February 2019
    This is a frightfully entertaining mother show as well as a thought-provoking movie that keeps you wondering about the duality in human nature (evil and good) and how people's real identity revealed only when they are being put under pressure. To some extent, it is similar to the sequence of "SAW" but this what I call a unique film that worths every minute of your time. Unfortunately, it wasn't perfect due to its lack of more gripping events; however, it was an absolute worthy nonetheless. It touches upon many topics for instance infertility and opportunism and many other life lessons, all of that in my opinion makes this film a cardinal to watch. This hostage kind of movies that will never fail to thrill you, that's what I guarantee you.
  • I had a feel when she arrived in the film of Hand That Rocks The Cradle flashbacks. Rebecca De Mornay has that vibe, that ominous character development to which she is mesmerizing on the screen. The film sounds like it would be an epic fail but is a very good suspense, thriller and drama.

The plot is pretty original as a couple are having a birthday party with friends and they are in a sound proof basement. Upstairs three men enter one which is wounded. It comes across this used to be their childhood home. These men are criminals as we find out and in comes MOTHER. The ferocity, soul stealing vibe we get from mother is critical for the film to capture the plot.

The acting was very well done and two in particular Patrick John Flueger (Ike) and Warren Kole (Addley) were very sadistic and extremely well portrayed. Jaime King (Beth) was pretty solid in her own right.

I give this film a solid 7 out of 10 for it's writing, plot and decent acting.
  • Mother has three sons.Her family of criminals stays together and slays together.Her prison-free sons crash their old address not knowing that mum has been evicted.They find new tenants and their friends partying.Nine potential hostages.The home invasion and humiliation show begins.Mommy appears and things become complicated..."Mother's Day" AD 2010 is the remake of Troma's "Mother's Day" from 1980.The premise of redneck terror in the woods is gone,though.The characters are quite bizarre and one-dimensional.There are some unsettling scenes of violence too,but the gore is quite sparse.I enjoyed Rebecca De Mornay's devilish performance as the mother.If you liked recent remake of "I Spit on Your Grave" you can't go wrong with "Mother's Day".8 mothers out of 10.
  • No way. This is a wrong movie, the plot completely wrong. From the beginning you feel they all gonna eat it, I had a small hope that they'll make the "mother" suffer at the end, but the script is to stupid for even that. It gives her a prize. No vision in this film only bad gore and cry baby. I rate it stupid. Some of the actors do play fairly good, but not being able to understand their motives doesn't help accepting them. In a movie I need someone I can relate to, here none. Not the crying and sniffing victims neither the bad guys who seem to act more by stupidity than anything else. I really would wish that they'll stop making movies about making other (inocent or not is not the point) suffer and getting off on top. Hated it.
  • kim-de-windter6 September 2011
    imagine, walking up to rebecca de mornay and saying "im gonna make a remake of mothers day from 1980 wanna be in it?" seriously, i would have laughed at that idea. in fact, i think rebecca should have laughed and walked away..

unfortunately she didn't.

while the original mothers day was true to just being weird and sick, this one, well, it kinda jumps between the mother trying to justify her sons, and for no apparent reason setting people on fire.

in the original story, the sons torture and rape girls in a secluded wood, violence and sick mindgames seem to be their hobbies. thats what makes the revenge of the girls after getting away from their captors simply just.

in this remake, it does not make much sense that one of the captive girls tries to stab one of the sons between the legs.. cause they left the rape scenes out.. and there are reverences to queeny, in the original the deformed sister of mothers.. living in the woods.. but in the remake, those references are never explained at all.. nobody knows who this queeny is, or why they keep talking about her..

im really disappointed, not about the movie, its a remake of mothers day.., what you gonna expect..

just that i always liked seeing rebecca de mornay, but this movie, well its midway down the spiral staircase.. so long rebecca..
  • ...because I kept laughing all the movie! The hostage characters are so stupid that you don't care what happens to them.The villains are so lame and predictable! The only thing you can rescue is DeMornay...even her acting is a clon of The Hand That Rocks the Cradle...There are 2 or 3 scenes where you ask yourself "really? is this happening? I think I saw it in 100 movies similar to this one" During all the movie you have a sense of Deja vu and you start lo lose interest for the film because the people are so empty of motivation and the director try to do something that others have done better in recent years...Hope for a sequel, this time with Steve Carell!
  • mic-boggs25 April 2012
    The only reason I gave this a 2/10 was the interaction between the daughter and doctor characters. The people who made this clearly do not understand hostage or criminal psychology, let alone have any common sense or practical knowledge of protocols observed by law enforcement. I would love to call it a coincidence to find the only 12 people on earth who may react in these ways to these situations, but I cannot find it in my faculties to convince myself it takes an entire hour and fifty minutes to present them. I dare anyone to find a nail gun without any mechanical safety measures, then, if you can find that, find me a peacekeeper of any kind who wouldn't radio in after being shot and instead proceed to present himself to the person who just shot him. I only ask, did no one out of an entire film crew suggest maybe revising the plot to make the characters and situations realistic, or even comprehensible? Did not one human, in the entire production process did no other person find it, at least, implausible? Is Scott Milam (Writer) an Inuit recluse with access only to half destroyed People magazine back issues and a Dutch dubbed copy of the 1980 film Mother's Day? In it circles does one find the financing to make something as awful as this when it: A) isn't even culturally, artistically, or socially relevant or B) is a movie someone already wasted their money on 30 years prior? I am off-put by all remakes. Sequels are bad enough, but just making the same movie twice is abhorrent and despicable, especially when one doesn't have the ability or resources to improve it. Watch anything else. Please. Reruns of Webster, a local theater production of Nell, your clock for 1 hour and 50 minutes. ANYTHING else.
  • Darren Lynn Bousman's movie Mother's Day has to be the BEST horror/thriller home invasion chiller I have ever seen, and that's saying A LOT, seeing as I've seen just about every home invasion horror.

A few couples get together to welcome the Sohapis' to their new house. Unfortunately, three criminals on the run decide to crash their party, which happens to be the boys' old house. They call their mother and from then on, the suspense begins.

This movie's plot is a bit like Funny Games and the suspense models after The Strangers, but it does its thing originally. If you go in expecting a lot, that's what you will come out with. If you go in expecting nothing, you will also get a lot.

Watch this movie!
  • This has to be one of the overall worst horror movies I've seen in ages. You know those crappy horror movies where the victim knocks down the killer, and instead of finishing him off, they just try to run away? The entire movie is made up of this! This movie gave me such a headache that I was yelling for the killers to just finish the job!

All the characters were so annoying, I felt the only decent ending would have an atomic bomb laying them to waste and everything nearby.

In addition, the ending is so ridiculously predictable, that I laughed my ass off. Just a total piece of garbage. This type of film has been done so much better with movies like Last House on the Left that there isn't any reason for its existence.
  • Now, I'd heard a lot of hype going into the screening and was skeptical that it'd be able to live up to what's been said about it. Suffice it to say, I have no complaints with the film. Mother's Day is a well-crafted, suspenseful horror/thriller that hearkens back in many ways to the original Saw since while Jigsaw's traps in the original Saw were gruesome (as were the results), the focus was not on the over-the-top gore but rather the rising tension, fear and desperation as a situation spirals out of control for both the Koffins and the victims.

From the opening moments of the film, the plot just builds steam and never, ever slows down. The one time I checked my watch, it wasn't out of boredom: it was in the vain belief that perhaps if I checked, I'd discover there was more time left in the film for me to enjoy and savor the characters. The entire ensemble gives incredible performances, from Rebecca DeMornay's disturbed but endearing portrayal of Mother; to Aaron Ashmore's role as doctor to a wounded member of the Koffin family; or the rest of the cast, who each play unique and beautifully damaged characters.

Coming from his stint on the Saw films, you might expect a Mother's Day film directed by Darren Lynn Bousman to be incredibly violent. Instead, Bousman wisely plays much of the gore off-screen, with the true horrors left to your imagination. This isn't to say that there aren't gruesome deaths in the film. There's enough to hint at the bloody and violent end to a few characters, but Bousman makes clear that violence isn't a gimmick in this film. The gamble pays off and the film is far more spine-tingling and cringe-inducing than if all the violence was shown in its entirety.

A horror/thriller (this film does not neatly fall within the confines of either) with a cast this brilliant is an incredibly rare proposition. The film is a face-paced, white-knuckled thrill ride that will leave you satisfied...and filled with dread.
  • I have a lot of respect for the 1980 version of Mother's Day, but I don't think it's a very good movie. I find it to be silly when it's supposed to be brutal, and brutal when it wants to be satirical. Still, I can't deny it has a certain charm and really tries to have a sense of fun about it (and sometimes even succeeds). The remake is only tangentially connected to the original, but it's a much better movie even if it loses its funny bone.

This time around, the psycho hillbillies invade the tranquil (or is it?) lives of young, successful suburbanites instead of having city folk end up on the loonies' home territory. Ike, Addley, and Mother are joined by little brother Johnny and sister Lydia; the two additions to the family don't make much sense until the end. Anyway, the boys are on the run after a botched bank robbery in which Johnny was shot. They head to their childhood home since they don't know Mother lost the house and it has new owners. The new owners and their friends are gathered around for a birthday party when the boys arrive, but it's certainly no party once Mother and Lydia arrive.

What follows is pretty standard in most home invasion and "normal people trapped in a nightmare" flicks: secrets and lies and selfish behavior blur the line between the good guys and the bad guys, there's some decent gore, more than a few intense moments, and a good performance by Rebecca De Mornay as mother. There are a few clever nods to the original, and once in a while the remake has as much of a sense of bad taste fun as its predecessor. Don't go looking for much silliness though - this one is straight horror. Another thing the two movies share is a terrible "shock" ending, although the remake's is better than the original's.

While watching Mother's Day 2010, I had a realization: The Devil's Rejects (which this movie feels a lot like) was a less cartoony Mother's Day 1980, and Mother's Day 2010 is a less cartoony Devil's Rejects. Even that may not sound like praise, it is. I found Mother's Day 2010 to be one heck of a ride, and I recommend at least one viewing.

ff
  • Rebecca De Mornay is always a great villain in every capacity and this is no different. Her performance is fantastic and generally keeps the film from falling. The rest of the cast do an adequate job, but it is De Mornay who keeps the tension high and makes sure the thrills come fast.

The film is shot nicely, just enough gore and violence to keep you wincing, but not too much that the film is driven by it. The script though nothing special gives the villains of the piece something to play with. The victims however seem to fall at this hurdle speaking the same lines you expect to hear from this type of film. Jaime King is the biggest disappointment, her performance is flat and her characters motives are idiotic.

The plot is the biggest problem here, the holes in the plot can be seen from space and characters just don't mesh into the story properly. Despite an intriguing premise and knock out lead antagonist, Mother's Day falls in with a lot of sub-standard mainstream horror/thriller's of the moment.

I enjoyed the film a lot, but the plot holes unfortunately left me feeling underwhelmed. I spent more of film tutting at it than sitting back and enjoying it. And I'm pretty sure the intention of the film wasn't for me to be rooting for the "bad" guys at the end.