User Reviews (1,505)

• Series 7&8 were tough, in fact we gave up hope completely and stopped watching. Recently we gave it another go and got through it and series 9 is not disappointing us so far. TWD is back to how it used to be Humans vs zombies with some added dangers! There have been highs and lows but it keeps you hooked. I hope they continue like this.
  • So far season 9 has really kicked it up a notch. The last couple of seasons did feel like they were starting to drag but with the addition of the new characters and the time jump the mid season finale added has really kept me intrigued throughout the entirety of this season. Hopefully the show will continue to keep things fresh. Looking forward to the future of this show and the direction it has decided to go.
    Unbelievable!!! after my worst season ever(season8) the show is back on track.! Amazing atmosphere again,new villains and lot of zombies!! Sad that Lincoln will leave the show...i really gave up all hope but thanks god i was wrong! Hope they keep it up and they will no go slow again
    This show used to be good, very personal, sometimes a bit melodramatic, but always filled with strong characters and interesting story arcs.

However, ever since the Negan plot started, this has changed. Built up as a super villain who radiates domination, he instead turned out to be a harmless rocker who switches between "nice uncle from next door" to "bat swinging psycho killer" whenever the script demands it.

Negan was supposed to surpass the Governour in terms of cruelty and malice, but in my opinion he doesn't even get close. The Governour had charisma, style, and above all, a real reason for all his experiments; his daughter. We still don't know why or how Negan came to be.

Season 6 was full of chest-pounding and inevitably doomed plotting by the heroes, but it was still fun to watch them descend into mass murder. Especially Carol had incredibly intense moments.

Season 7, after the reveal of Negan, turned out to be a super slow recuperation with the nice uncle coming over for spaghetti. They tried to show how he controls his people with rules and by burning them and so on, but overall it was a super tame story with "Soon(TM)" all over it.

Instead of fixing that in season 8, they now bury the show in one action episode after another. And its not the somewhat smart action we saw in earlier seasons, but 80's style A-Team nonsense action. Cars are bullet sponges, ammo is thrown around like its World War II, a .50 caliber machine gun mows down 50 people with ease but can't hit one dude in a Jeep, and there is no stopping to all the shooting. Even when people are having a quiet moment to talk, you hear often hear shooting in the background.

We rarely have those epic Daryl moments anymore, Rick has become a a hollow shell of a leader, Carl seems to be on vacation. Several other iconic characters were lost and have been replaced with cardboard gunmen.

The Walking Dead needs to stop playing World War Z, cease its nation building, and return to what made it great. Everyday survival by interesting characters in a hostile world.
  • This series is strongly inspired by the comics created by Robert Kirkman and Tony Moore, in the early 2000s. I read the first 25 volumes. I loved them! As in the comics, the series centers on the character of Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln), Sheriff's deputy in a county of Georgia, who wakes up from a coma of several weeks to discover that the population has been ravaged by a post-apocalyptic epidemic that turns human beings into zombies called walkers. Behind a 'humans versus zombies' appearance, the series essentially deals with human relationships, with a very wide spectrum of personalities. There are a few empathic and benevolent (wo)men with a collaborative mindset. There are also a few psychopaths hidden here or there. The series starts excellently with two first seasons rather well designed and well interpreted. Quality is right there! The third season is disappointing with sometimes laughable dialogues and moronic plot twists. Seasons 4, 5 and 6 get timidly back on one's feet. And season 7, with Negan and tutti quanti, is relatively mediocre despite a thunderous (and gore ...) departure. And then? I do not know, I stopped at the very end of the seventh season, after noting that the IMDb ratings of the eighth season were almost scary. More scary than the series itself...

Two friendly advices: 1) You must watch the first two seasons. Absolutely. They are cult. 2) I then invite you to stop, mainly because of a script full of far-fetched plot twists.
  • OMG, this TV Show is unbelievable, casting is off the charts, every single person on this show is amazing. Casting Jeffrey Dean Morgan and now Ryan Hurst (from Bates Motel and Sons of Anarchy) brilliant, as well as all of the others, actress playing Alpha and Judith, plus the new group, just blows my mind. This show just seems to be better and better and for someone that loves any good Thriller, Horror, Drama all rolled up into one, I will continue to watch even it is another 20 years.
    The Walking Dead

I think the title of this review sums up TWD pretty accurately. What started out as a decent prospect then worked its way up through the ranks to become TV show champion of the world. But the last few seasons for me became slow, predictable and lacked the punch that the earlier seasons would week after week knock you out with. Like an aging boxer this show doesn't really know where to go and what to do anymore. So it keeps trying to do what it did in its youth but to lesser effect. Is it time to hang up those gloves?

For anyone unfamiliar with the story TWD is about a group of people trying survive a zombie apocalypse. What becomes apparent is that you should fear the dead but fear the living even more. It's dog eat dog, or in most cases human eating human. Survival of the fittest. While the show started out very promising and over its eight seasons developed a bunch of characters that you will truly begin to care for, the show seems to have lost its way and has become almost as clumsy as the dithering dead that walk the Earth. During the shows entire run ( I'm currently watching season eight as I write this) there has been some truly magnificent television. Some great storytelling, nail biting, riveting moments that shocked.

Characters come and go and the long run time of each season helps us get to know each character thoroughly. They became almost like family members. So when one of them does meet their demise it's upsetting. There's been some great villains and foes along the way too. The Governor and Negan being most memorable. Negan played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan being probably the best thing about the more recent seasons. There's characters that have conflicting views. Shane played by Jon Bernthal being a good example. This show tugs on all the emotions. There's pain, anger, fear and despair. There's also the well timed piece of humour here and there to show that despite all that has happened to them these people are still human.

The production value of this show is of very high quality. Only the odd piece of CGI occasionally lets the side down. Particularly the CGI flames used instead of practical effects. This is odd as the practical and makeup effects in this show are second only to Game of Thrones. Prosthetic makeup effects are Oscar worthy. Can a TV show get an Oscar? I don't know but if it can this show definitely should. Zombies are brought to life, if that makes any sense by some truly wonderful makeup design. Animatronics are very realistic giving the whole show a level of authenticity usually associated with a high budget Hollywood blockbuster.

A criticism I do have is that the show doesn't look and sound as good as it should. As a High definition experience the picture is often grainy with no vibrancy. Maybe this is intentional to show the grubby broken down world that the show is set in. Sound doesn't seem to immerse as well as it should. While I'll admit that it isn't bad it just doesn't sound as involving as some other big budget TV shows. Overall TWD is a superb show. One that will go down as a classic. It may have fallen slightly from grace over the latter years but it still remains a 10/10 experience and one that you should definitely check out.
  • I've been watching this since 2010. I LOVE zombie movies. Dawn of The Dead is my favorite. Back in the early 2000 there were several great zombie movies. Nowadays they are awful. More guns, empty characters, and explosions plus bad scripts than anything else. How in the world TWD transformed into a Steven Seagal movie? I remember the beginning was so thrilling … suspenses, a story, characters that you cared about, scary zombies. But after season 3 or 4 everything turned into guns and people fighting people. Cheap scripts, retarded dialogues, poor CGI. Take any episode from season 4 on and you can broadcast it on a cheap TV station as "action" movie. No one would tell the difference.

Right now you cannot care about any character. Bad actors that play as much as the trees in the background die by the dozen by each episode. Flashbacks and "emotional" (dumb) dialogues want to make us care about someone. But you can't. Zombies do not matter anymore, only rarely when they suddenly matter. It is either this image of them as "pests" most of the time, or lethal killers out of a sudden. I am sick of watching a cheap action movie that has nothing to do with a zombie movie. A zombie movie was a zombie movie because of the thriller surrounding this worldwide catastrophe of people turning into these creepy and horror things. That was the MAIN factor. TWD has nothing to do with that anymore.

If TWD would have kept 4-5 main characters and presented their struggle to live in this horror world full of zombies, then that could have been a great series. But even that has to stop. The only reason TWD continues is money. That's all. They make more money off the show. Why do you think the action happens in forests and zombies are mainly seen in packs from distance? Because it is cheap. No need to pay for shooting in a town and pay for complex CGI, a forest is perfect.

So. I loved this series but now I think it is the cheapest garbage out there. Honestly I don't care what happens anymore so I'll finally give up. Last episode "Some Guy" did it for me. I just could not bare anymore. I don't care who dies, who lives, because there is no story, no character, nothing intelligent about this series, nothing to watch.

Garbage.
  • mihai_escu12 March 2019
    I'm a big fan of tv series, i work from home so that allows me to watch some, i'd say actually a lot of them. I did knew about the show but for some reason i didnt watched it. So at some point i sayd let's give it a try.. gooood damn! It hooked me up so bad. Its just that good, i've seen a lot of negative comments that the last seasons arent that good. I think they ar, its normal maybe to be so excited as you were in the begining, you get used with the idea, but there ar plenty surprises and they just keep comeing. Also for thouse complaining you dont see much of a zombie type action, oh well this show is and isnt about zombies... Its really challenging thinking how would a lot of people change into a alpocalyptic scenario. Well i hope the show will keep on going. Good job!!
    I am late to the wagon - I just started watching it and only 3 seasons down.

I like zombie movies and this series is probably one of the best zombie action I have seen. It's hard to have a real story line in this kind of movies because there are only so many possibilities. But the amount of drama introduced in this series , I would rather call it 'zombie drama'.

It's nice to see how the characters mature around an existing doomsday ecosystem. However - there are a few logical mistakes here that any zombie survivors would learn quickly.

1) they seem to have no contingency plans whatsoever. Every time zombies make dramatic entrance and people scramble for things and/or start screaming. 2) they make no modifications to vehicles. The first thing anyone would do is to have reinforced vehicles - protrusions in front of the vehicle and so on (refer to resident evil). Even the prison scene where there are zombie hoardes around and wirefences are the only ones that keep them alive - they do nothing. 3) they don't trust renewable energy - one of the thing to raid would be to an electric store and grab as many solar panels as possible. No. 4) somehow no one has addressed the 'human waste problem'. Everyone is living perfectly fine living indoors for months to come. 5) they killed off Shane - it was a great character to have used for revenge on Rick later. Big mistake. 6) over the top drama with Rick and Lori - don't get me started about this one.

Overall it's very good so far , apart from the problems
  • At first I thought it was a bad show but now I actually love this show (thanks to my boyfriend). The characters are so amazing and I am so glad that I love the walking dead!
  • manolo-webmaster12 December 2016
    They've lost me, the producers have lost me. How many times can they recycle the same plot? This is no longer humanity vs zombies, this is humans vs humans with a unnecessary dose of violence and twisted psyche, all for the sake of maintaining ratings and milking the cash cow. The writers creativity have been depleted for a few seasons now, there has been no direction, no gradual learning, no story development. All the physical moving around is just the illusion of story to mask the fact that there isn't a story being told at all. The show isn't going anywhere. I have stopped watching, and I feel liberated from this burden of a show. TWD has slowly decomposed into a gross, unintelligent TV show. Who keeps making gas, electricity... but then there's no radio communication... What happened to the military, the government, smart people, common sense... I understand the appeal for certain demographics, but I, for once, demand more from entertainment than this garbage, good bye!!!
  • I only recently was talked into watching the first episode by my Daughter as I avoid the Undead, Ghost, Vampire genre. I was blown away! I could not stop watching and had to get EVERY episode! They made 6 episodes year 1 and about 12 year 2, at 42 minutes an episode the entire year 1&2 run time is around 12 hours total and COULD RUN AS ONE 12 HOUR MOVIE, and you would still not wanna leave for popcorn. The end of each episode left me dying for the next one, The writing is incredible, the character development amazing and don't suppose you know who will live or die here cause you will have no idea. The quality makes it seem as if all other series are quaint and boring. I find myself thinking about the next episode every day. VERY WATCHABLE; VERY ENTERTAINING; GREAT GREAT SERIES!!
  • So after reading the review "An honest perception" I felt like I needed to write my own review. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. However, that being said I have to disagree with the reviewer.

So here are the reasons I like the show.

First, character development, this is not usually a very big trait in the Zombie genre. If you only watched 3 episodes, this is a big part of what you watched. They take the time to give you a slight background of the characters, a chance for you to get to know them. For those of us that are big fans of the Zombie genre it gave us a chance to think "Who would I be?" in this situation.

Second, the story doesn't follow a straight line. This was a point of contention in the other review. I personally like the multiple story lines. It keeps things interesting and keeps it from becoming a boring show where I can foresee how everything is going to turn out. And before anyone says it…YES I know this is based off a graphic novel. I haven't read it and will refrain from reading it for a while.

Third, the zombies look and act pretty bad ass. The make up is done great, not a bunch of CGI which is so common in today's world. So anyway…if you aren't a fan of the zombie genre to begin with then yeah, you probably aren't going to get why so many of us love the show. However, I think most fans of the genre will love this show.

So in closing, for those of us who love the genre, It's a weekly dose of zombie apocalypse.

For those that aren't fans of the genre, when the zombie apocalypse happens and you don't know what to do…don't come crying to me and my friends…you'll just slow us down.

On second thought…you may come in handy in case we need to make a hasty retreat…
  • deckblack28 February 2018
    Since season 7 the show has slipped in the trash. The writers are just idiots.
  • I use to be big fan of this show. I really liked seasons 1-6 but last good episode I have seen was s07e01 since then it is more and more boooooring...All season eight so far (I'm on s08e08) is just terrible. It's barely watchable to be honest. The Walking Dead have so much potential...it is very sad to witness what they done to it and how it is being murdered now.
  • hbg_kille22 October 2010
    First heard about this show a few weeks back. Since I love zombie-movies I had to see what this was all about. At first glimpse I was a little skeptic, but the trailer convinced me otherwise.

I just watched the first episode and it matches all my expectations and MORE! I loved movies like Dawn of the Dead(new version), 28 days/weeks later, I Am Legend etc. This series is just like that, it's zombies/monsters but still very realistic.

The way the plot is presented is very entertaining, but not very surprising. The acting is top-notch and very believable. A drawback with TV-series is that the effects are usually quite tacky. However, here it's quite the opposite. Everything looks very realistic and honestly quite disgusting, in a good way.

I can't wait to watch the next episode!
    As Season 8 begins, this has gone from 10/10 to 1/10. Terrible. Absolutely terrible.

I was hooked on Walking Dead for its first 5 seasons. It was some of the bravest drama on television. It wasn't afraid to kill off main characters when their deaths heightened the drama.

Then came seasons 6 and 7 and suddenly it morphed into The 100 With Zombies. and now on the pilot ep of S8, it's become as badly written and inconsistent as Fear The Walking Dead. That takes some doing. Self-sabotage? I'm not sure, but surely some of the cast must read these scripts and think, "WTF has happened to this show?"

For two seasons now, intelligent characters have done dumb things. Negan has been bulletproof. Rick can shoot a zombie at 100 metres, but can't shoot Negan with a machine gun at 10m.

Zombies now just walk past fallen people. The priest was never in ANY danger. In S1-5, he would have been eaten alive.

This episode has THE MOST COMPLICATED plan - of luring hundreds of zombies for miles toward the Saviors' hideout - when they could have just used guns.

Bullets are in short supply, but that doesn't stop the good guys wasting thousands of them shooting at a building.

Negan is now a bullet-proof cartoon villain who spouts poorly-written T shirt slogans to bore people off the idea of shooting him. Even the Priest, armed with a rifle, can't be bothered to aim it. Despite being brave enough to escape a zombie hoard, the priest is now frozen with fear as Negan steps out of the shadows.

Rick's dream sequence! Why are we now relying on dream sequences to instill some mystery into the drama? You could add a laugh track to that dream sequence of Rick waking up as an old man it wouldn't seem out of place on Saturday Night Live.

TERRIBLE. Another 15 episodes of this. To think what it used to be and what it has become.
  • Lets get this out of the way straight away THIS WILL BLOW PEOPLES SOCKS OFF. Im not kidding. I know people here are attracted to this genre for various different reasons but i'd like to think we all share some connection when zombies are involved. For me its the post apocalyptic scenario. I don't particularly need the gore element but it has its place when used well.

In Darabonts take on the apocalypse, you are there. The world is dead and rotting. The military have lost the battle. You wake up with Rick in this new world and get to explore it with him. Its the exposition of the pilot that will probably put the gorehounds off and lead to some small criticism from others. Personally, i want to see that. I want to know how society responded to the phenomenon.

Those who have read the comic books here know that Kirkmans trick is to get you attached to the characters, like you know them intimately, then kill them off. Here Darabont uses the same trick but not how you would expect nor with who you would expect.

Im personally invested in this series already. God knows what it will do to the average TV viewer. Im also not a particularly emotional person but i don't mind admitting that i was close to tears on a couple of occasions. There you go. I've said it. Just don't tell anyone.

I cant say enough about Frank darabont after watching this. He understands what this genre is all about and, more importantly, he understands Romero's zombie world. The zombies are Roamers and lurkers. They act how they should and you do feel sorry for them. This is explored really well. They are a small threat but in groups all riled up and hungry. Well, you know the rest.

The score is also outstanding. Very understated but poignant. The cinematography is worthy of a movie and the camera moves a lot. I cant recall any shaky cam which some people here seem to despise.

Kirkman, Darabont and AMC have come up with the series we have been waiting years for. Long may it continue, and you know what? I think it will. The balance is perfect between a horror film, TV show and intelligent drama.

Oh and btw. Keep getting people onboard with this. Co workers. Non zombie lover friends. Anyone. They wont think you're weird. They'll thank you. The Lost crowd are going to lap this up.
  • While watching the pilot episode of The Walking Dead the only word that went through my mind was "awesome!".

We finally have a TV Show that's associated with the beloved Zombie franchise and what it does it does right.

The story takes place in the present day, a Sheriff's deputy, Rick Grimes gets caught in an accident and ends up in hospital, after blanking out and waking up from a coma he finds himself in an abandoned ward with flickering lights, broken down hallways and barricaded doors. As he makes his way through the dark hospital he finds out that he is the only one that's not in a body bag.

The pilot introduces us to several main characters that actually make you want to learn more about them, with brilliant directing by Frank Darabont you will come across both dramatic and emotional scenes that seem appropriate for the time, this gives the show allot of realism and just works out great.

However this doesn't have CGI effects yet and should be kept that way, the make-up on the zombies are fantastic.

watching this will give you allot of nostalgia and the direction makes of this show feel like a classic old school zombie movie from the 80's to 90's that's actually serious this time, having a well respected cast and great acting makes this show very promising and I will be hoping for allot more future episodes... allot more. But for now I'm still waiting for the rest of the first season.

If you like zombies or even a good drama that has allot of suspense then I highly recommend this show, I have never felt this way about a show since LOST, so you know it's that good.
  • thomasgreuel28 October 2017
    I suppose it still has a lot of fans, but TWD has become incredibly dull and boring. Some reasons:

The objective is to kill Negan. In every episode there are dozens of opportunities. He hands over his bat to his enemies, multiple times his enemies are having him at gunpoint. Not even his own people like him, in fact one of his lieutenants states that they want him dead and that he is just one person. Yet they create elaborate plans because people forget to pull the trigger at the right time or they only bring one bullet to a fight. It's painful to watch.

The characters are dull. You don't care for any of them. Even if Rick died I would not give a damn. There is no one I really root for or sympathize with. I guess Daryl is still cool (because he is mostly silent), but even the superbad Michonne is now in a relationship, minding the children. No more zombies on a leash.

Great ideas being wasted: So there is this cool armored, spiked zombie that Rick has to fight. Awesome. How would you do it? You show the thing. You show its power and have people talk about how dangerous he is (maybe he used to be a pro wrestler). You let one of Rick's group fight it and lose spectacularly. You bring out Rick. He shudders, is about to lose but then turns things around and triumphs because Rick is superman. How do they do it? Rick dances around this thing a little bit, pierces his own hand on its spiked head (who needs hands, in the comics he only has one anyway), then Michonne suggests throwing garbage at it. Rick throws some pillows. Monster falls. Victory. Underwhelming.

Absurd ideas. Two words: CGI tiger.

After how many years zombies still move without feeding? Bullets and fuel are infinite. Most food still comes from finding cans.

Characters' roles change without reason. Eugene was always the most useless person in the group. But in season 7 he switches sides and suddenly becomes the science mastermind who gets things done.

It's awfully crowded. There are so many groups now in a 30 mile radius: Alexandria, Kingdom, Hilltop, Saviours, Garbage People, Women in the Woods. Rick and Michonne even stumble upon some golfers.

Stormtrooper gun training - in the final gunfight they all shoot at each other from short distance for minutes. Many without any cover. Yet no one in the group is seriously harmed.

Talk is cheap - and that's why they do it so much. It seems they had one idea in season 7. Kill two major characters. The rest was just chatting.

The worst things about Negan are his monologues. Please, no more. Just give me the bat to the head.
  • What an opening 10 minutes for a TV show. Superb make up effects, top drawer acting. and interesting characters. Good to see UK actor Andrew Lincoln back on TV as he has been in some of UK TV's best dramas (After Life, This Life and Teachers). I liked the pace of the show. It was surprisingly gory too, which added to the realistic atmosphere of the pilot. The climax and in my opinion the best scene in the film really takes you by surprise and was quite nerve racking. I noticed that James Cameron's old collaborator Gale Ann Hurd was also involved with the show too. I should have guessed it would be a quality production with Frank Darabont at the helm directing it. I just hope the series keeps up the quality of the pilot.
    I adjusted my rate - I rated The Walking Dead Season 1 to 4 a 9 and they are imo still epic and most inventive material for a TV-show. With a second season wasted on the the governor the decline began and with Negan it reached an all-time low: Carl now is dead but I did not care one flinch anymore, tbh, the episode felt overstretched and plain boring.

Imo, it is not to blame the character of Negan, as other reviewers state, but the total fail to give us an impression of the (highly addictive) "TWD-feel". This could be whatever movie about families at war in a cowboy movie, this could be something like a movie about a civil-war in a nation x, it could be an alien-invasion, it could be whatever stuff with some fractions shooting at each other:

amount of guns and ammo - no limits, gasoline and material for the cars - no limits, food - no limits, manpower - no limits, clothing, medicine - no limits, the conclusion: somewhere nearby some Wall-Marts reopened ;)

The outcome of this careless story-line: a total bumbum balabala all the time. This is about war and ego-clashing not about a apocalyptic zombie-infested world. And I don't give a damn about Alexandria, it's a boring affair.

My advise: return pronto to the core, or shut down the show and maybe start with a fresh cast and listen to the audience and learn from your mistakes of TWD and FTWD. Money enough for a fresh start and a new milestone you should have by now.

Rate for season 8: a straight 2 and no more. As the last 3 seasons are not very good my overall rate dropped from 9 to 5. I mean, common some years past since we watched the last really good material.

Last note ever: season 9 (episode 6 aired) is even more worse, lot's of p.c.-stuff, and just a boring repetition of the last seasons main stuff: some drama and conflict between groups of survivors. All in all lame, the "death" of Rick and the time leap gave the chance to give us good new material, but all in all, it is just same over and over again. Most times it is work to watch that show now and I get it is just out of habit that I still watch (and the hope the writers pull their stuff together).

Note: March, 2019:I quit watching the show and give it now a rating of 1 - last and the new season killed that once great show for me...
  • deckblack28 February 2018
    Since season 7 the show has slipped in the trash. The writers are just idiots.
  • Season 8 reviewes have been around 6.5 and it's generous. I really liked first 4 seasons but then happened something. The storyline became ridicilous "Bold and Beautiful" - type show. Today this is one of the worst shows in television. And it seems they are gonna run another year!?!! I'm starting to hate the actors and all this is not their fault. Please let all characters die NOW.