User Reviews (75)

• An under the radar film about a subject I knew nothing about that absolutely floored me. It's a high quality film with flat out superb performances that makes you contemplate and appreciate faith and freedom like few films have ever managed to convey. Yes, it is a faith based film. If that offends some, then this isn't the movie or the subject for you. Unlike other faith based efforts, this effort is not cheesy or ham-fisted or even preachy.

It's the tale of the Cristeros War (1926-1929); a war by the people of Mexico against the Mexican government who cracked down in brutal ways against the Catholic Church and against religious freedom in general. Andy Garcia is Oscar level good here as General Gorostieta, a man with limited faith who responds and masterfully leads the fight for freedom. It's intense and, at times, surprisingly violent and impactful. This movie delivers real emotion and doesn't dodge tough questions about faith. It delivers an exceptional balance of showing why people behave and choose to engage in certain behaviors even when such behavior is contrary to the core of their belief system.

One thing is certain; no one who has faith will take it or their religious freedom for granted after watching and EXPERIENCING this film. That's how it registered with me at any rate.
    This film which I have now seen twice is a technically beautiful film which tells the story of the Cristeros War in Mexico. Based on true events, the movie tells the story of an atheist General who leads Catholic fighters against the socialist atheist revolutionary government of Mexico. It also tells the story of a 10 year old boy who leaves his home to fight for the faith and a Catholic priest who must come to terms with his faith and with his desire for revenge.

The film is shot on location in Mexico and is really cinematically beautiful. There are some disturbing scenes which show the brutality of the Mexican government as well as amazingly uplifting and moving scenes depicting the faith of those fighting.

This is certainly a film which certain people don't want seen. All the more reason to go and see it. This film is doesn't sugar coat the actions of either side but shows war for what it is -- always brutal and many times necessary.

Andy Garci give a great performance but it is the boy who plays Jose who steals the show. An amazing performance that is worth seeing.
    I saw this movie under the title "For Greater Glory: The True Story of Cristiada".

For a relatively recent event in Mexican history (within the past century), I'm surprised that I've never heard of the Cristeros War, waged by the Catholics of that country against it's secularist President Plutarco Calles. What's even more stunning are some of the parallels one can draw from the scenarios offered in the film contrasted with the way people of faith in this country are constantly put on the defensive for their traditions in the name of political correctness. Though some will view the film as propagandizing for Catholicism, it was General Enrique Gorostieta's (Andy Garcia) motivation in taking on the assignment he was offered that crystallizes the point of the film - it was religious and personal FREEDOM that was under attack. That point is made numerous times throughout the story. For the Cristeros, "Freedom is our lives and we will defend it."

One thing the film does that's gratifying is place the story in historical context with the position of the United States during this time. An appearance by President Calvin Coolidge (Bruce McGill) is made with the intent of positioning America's interest in quelling the atrocities on both sides. Ambassador Dwight Morrow (Bruce Greenwood) is dispatched to Mexico because he can 'get things done', and one assumes that America's best interests would be served by halting any interruption in commerce between the two countries. In other words, money over principle, and the sooner the better.

For viewers going in with the idea that this will be all action/adventure and rousing gun battles, be prepared for a good dose of human interest scenarios that offer conflicted characters attempting to balance the line between good citizenship and deeply held religious conviction. The story of young Jose Luis Sanchez (Mauricio Kuri) is particularly compelling because of the boy's age (about twelve) and his deep faith in God. Apart from the brutal dictator Calles (Ruben Blades), the character I found to be most reprehensible was Jose's father, who valued his own safety and standing in the community above the life of his own son.

There was no way the film makers would have been able to predict the parallels this picture has with current events as they are unfolding today in the midst of a presidential election contest. A gauntlet has been laid down by an administration intent on mandating institutions of faith to set aside their religious convictions in order to insure health care provisions that violate basic precepts regarding birth control, sterilization and abortafacients. It's as much a line drawn in the sand as that portrayed in the film, with a reaction that's awakened and emboldened leaders of religious faith to challenge a government that's become intolerantly secular. And just as in the film, the issue is one involving freedom and the limits of compromise.
    A film with heart. It tells the story of the "Cristiada Wars" from the perspective of those fighting for religious freedoms taken away by President Calles, an atheist, who wanted to eradicate what he felt were the corrupting influences of Catholicism in his country. The film depicts what happens when a government oversteps its bounds and tramples on people's way of life, and certainly Catholicism in Mexico had already become culturally entrenched. The film is beautifully made with virtuosic cinematography, an outstanding musical score, and with many wonderful performances. Andy Garcia carries weight as General Gorostieta, and I particularly enjoyed Oscar Isaac as the cynical "El Catorce." The film delicately weaves in other contemporaneous complexities involving the US government and Mexcio without losing sight of the heart of the story, with a terrifically understated performance by Bruce Greenwood as the U.S. Ambassador. As someone who was once Catholic but is no longer practicing, I do not see this as a religious propaganda film, but as a film depicting a people fighting to maintain their way of life and refusing to let a government tell them they can't live what they believe. It is indeed a story from the point of view of people fighting for their faith, but I do not agree with critiques that accuse the filmmakers of creating "propaganda." This is the disadvantage films from the point of view of religious people have - that some secularists immediately and unfairly will label them "propaganda." With such a broad application of the term all film making is to some degree propaganda; after all, there is no drama without "taking a side." As someone who dislikes religion, I did not feel that this was a film that aims to proselytize, but rather one that reveals a period of Mexican history that few people know about within the context of a riveting drama.
  • This historical chapter plays close to home as my great-grandfather was morally involved and supported the resistance. He was a founder and active participant of the Knights of Columbus in Mexico City. This society played an active financial role in the rebellion. Our family business was also affected by this persecution in Mexico, as he could not sell his most important products, which at the time were altar candles for the churches. In the early years of this escalating situation, my great grandfather, a deeply religious man and friend of the church, hid at his candle factory, church artwork and religious valuables to keep them from being plundered and destroyed by government officials.

On more than one occasion, based on anonymous tips, government troops personally led by General Plutarco Elías Calles, raided both my great-grandfathers business and his home, looking for firearms and the illegal church valuables that he was hiding. Unable to find anything, the General made my great-grandfather kneel to the ground and shoved his pistol into the back of my great-grandfathers head. Why he never pulled the trigger or why they were never able to find anything either at the candle factory or at his home, was all God's work. At my great-grandfather's home, there were firearms in plain sight standing behind the open doors to the inner rooms… supplied to him by the US Embassy in Mexico City.

This world is really-really small… as fate would have it be, my brother-in-law married the great-granddaughter of General Plutarco Elías Calles… Although my father knows about this, I never mentioned anything to my grandfather about the subject… Thank God nothing more serious ever happened… there are absolutely no ill-feelings between us, and it sure makes a heck-of-a-good family story for generations to come!

I hope you have an opportunity to see the movie, it is an important chapter of Mexican history which has been institutionally hidden for almost 100 years now.
    This movie is about a time in history that I had not heard of. It is a chronicle of the Cristeros War (1926-1929), which was touched off by a rebellion against the Mexican government's attempt to secularize the country. This is the story about a time when the Mexican Government tried to to shut down the practice of the Catholic faith in it's country, and how the Catholics took up arms(literally there are priest shooting guns) to defend the freedom of religion. There are very disturbing scenes in which the government troops attack Catholic churches during Mass and kill priests in the sanctuary. There is also some disturbing scenes with the torture and killing of some ten-year old boys. It should probably get a R-Rating for this content. I think this is an important movie for everyone to see because it shows what happens when the government tries to shut down the freedom of religion, and it also shows what is the result of fighting for your beliefs. There are some eerie parallels to what is happening today. The message deals seriously with the issues of non-violent vs. violent protesting, what it means to have faith or not and confession. The movie portrays the various characters dealing with these issues in a few different ways.
  • As a Catholic very concerned about the anti-Catholic direction of our society, I wanted to see For Greater Glory. But after reading the reviews on RottenTomatoes, I assumed it would be a good message poorly presented. I could not have been farther from the truth. This was a excellent movie - especially for a directorial debut. Even if you are not Catholic you will find this movie very moving and well done.

Andy Garcia is excellent - he even shows intense emotions. Mauricio Kuri had an outstanding rookie performance. Nestor Carbonell's role was perfect for him. Peter O'Toole was a wonderful surprise if short lived.

Ignore RottenTomatoes - you will not be disappointed!
  • This is a movie about heroes who stood up for freedom – in this case, religious freedom. It's not easy to make a heroic film, but this movie comes reasonably close. There are a few awkward camera movements, and some of the younger actors don't always make the most convincing performances. However, the overall effort is quite moving and convincing. Considering these events actually happened and these are historical figures not fictional characters makes the movie that much more compelling. Some reviewers have argued that the movie is "too Catholic." Considering these were Catholics fighting, eventually, fighting violently, for their freedoms, these criticisms reveal more about the reviewers' prejudices and biases than it does about the film. This is an important, thought-provoking film about freedom that should be seen and discussed.
  • I just saw For Greater Glory today, and I took away from it an enormous respect for the Catholic faith of the Mexican people. It was a riveting story that I knew nothing about. The young actor who played Jose stole the show, with Father Vega taking a very close second. Definitely worth the time and money to see this movie. It also helped me understand why people defend the right of religious freedom so ferociously in our country when they feel it is being infringed upon by our government. I loved the musical score, and the cinematography - the costumes, the sets, all were excellent. I agree with some other reviews that there were a few things that could have been trimmed in the edit room - I feel we could have lost all the scenes with the US Ambassador without missing much. I hope you go see this movie.
    Official Mexican history has long erased this chapter form it's books. Now this production brings the truth to a greater audience with a masterful movie.

The plot is guided by a very acute sense of truth and this movie has benefited from the help of Jean Meyer, possibly the top authority in the subject of the "cristiada".

Special kudos must go to Mauricio Kuri (Jose Sanchez del Rio) for an impressive performance and the undoubtedly excellent Andy Garcia (Enrique Gorostieta).

Yes, the movie takes some historical liberties, but all the important facts (and a lot of non-important ones) are very historic.

Moving, attractive, accurate, pleasing to eye and mind, this is a must see.
  • ccthemovieman-123 December 2012
    Well, this film is a nice twist on what we've seen in film the past few decades: the atheists vs. the Christians (in this case, Catholic) and the atheists lose! It was based on on a real-life event in Mexico: the Cristeros War from 1926-29.

What else stuck out was the excellent cinematography, production values and the acting and role that Andy Garcia played as "Enrique Gorosteita Velarde." Garcia gets fifth billing here on the IMDb home page but make no mistake: he is the star of this film. His slow transformation from non-believer to believer is interesting to watch.

Although it may have a "religious" theme and no nudity or profanity that I can recall, there is a lot of rough violence in this film. Hence, the "R" rating.....yet I couldn't help but feel this movie still had a lot of family appeal. Being a pro-Catholic film, it didn't get much publicity or fair reviews from mainline critics. No surprise there.

For those not sure about this film, I have no hesitation in recommending it. As mentioned, it has very high production values (see it on Blu-Ray, if you can), the story moves along well and the acting is just fine. It's a good story and and almost an old-fashioned type of movie epic.
  • "We are now an army, we are an army fighting for Gad and for the church and for absolute freedom." A true story about the Cristeros War (1926-1929) which was a war by the people of Mexico against the atheistic Mexican government led by president Plutarco Elias Calles. Enrique Gorostieta Velarde (Garcia) leads a revolt of Mexican Christians against the government in hopes he can restore Mexico to the faith filled nation it once was. I will start by saying that this is a very good movie and entertaining to watch. I know nothing about the history or how accurate this is but I enjoyed it. The only problem that I had with the movie is that I really felt no connection to any of the characters and when one would get killed or have a serious problem I wasn't invested enough for it to have the impact that it was trying for. That said it doesn't really take away from the enjoyment of the movie but I didn't really feel the emotion that I think the filmmakers were trying for. Garcia is a great choice for this but he seems to play the character he played in "Godfather 3" or the Ocean's movies but a Mexican soldier version and he came off a little too cocky, but like I said I don't know the history and the real guy may have been that way too. It may seem like I'm rambling but the movie was over 2 hours long and it felt it and some parts I found it hard to stay focused on but overall this is a good watch and in my opinion one of the best releases this week. Overall, a good western/war movie that is pretty heavy on the religious issues. I give it a B+.
    When I first visited Mexico in the late 1960's these events were still spoken of in hushed tones if spoken of at all. It was counseled as healthier never to bring them up as the political descendants of those responsible were still in power and very easily riled. Now they're all dead and we can go see a movie right here in Mexico about what had been erased from the history books for almost 90 years. If only for that reason it's worth seeing, but it has plenty more to offer.

The film is entertaining, the cast mostly up to the task, and the director brings it all off with a few rough edges, tho' they aren't enough to get in the way of enjoying the film. Here and there sufficient historical data is presented (the locations and the sets & wardrobe are all 1st rate) to give the audience an idea of just where certain events took place, but in general you'd really have to be up on your Mexican history to know where all this went on, because the fighting mostly took place in just 4 states.

Beefs: The film could be shorter without diluting it's impact. Losing 12-18 minutes or so would make it tighter without sacrificing much although its length doesn't kill your interest. I say this because there are scenes that come along, and as you're watching them you just know they aren't necessary to tell the story. The editing here and there could use some going over as at times the film seems to jump back & forth between the adversaries without much finesse. Other comments I've read about this movie rave about the child actor that has the youth lead in the story -an important role- though I find he over-acts. Once I adjusted myself to his mugging it didn't get in the way of the rest of the story. Frankly his taller young friend was more convincing in a much smaller role. One other minor beef: Andy Garcia, who I like in anything, including this, is a bit old to be playing General Gorostieta, who only lived to just over 40. But these are all relatively small potatoes. None of them or even all of them together are reason enough not see the movie. Americans especially just might gain some sorely lacking respect for the intensity of what it has meant to be Mexican in the 20th century.
  • Outstays its welcome. Becomes Christian propaganda especially in end credits. Some fine acting but never get really involved with characters. Important and interesting historical struggle best read about in Wikipedia!
    Calles's tyranny, and its efforts to destroy the Church and Christianity in Mexico, were of the same sort as those of Stalin, Mao, Hitler, et al . We are talking of the first half of the XX century, coincidence? This war against Christianity and religious freedom, did not end with Calles, it continued with Cardenas with the hiring of such atheists, immoral, criminal characters as Garrido Canabal, and the establishment of a communist/socialist public education system which still prevails. Beginning with Calles we have the so famous fascist tyranny of the PRI party, so liked and supported by Washington (like so many others around the world).

Unfortunately, many leftist ideologues and ordinary people, indoctrinated in the so many public universities founded and funded by the PRI party (Calles and Cardenas creature) and their successive governments won't like this movie for obvious reasons.
  • Revolutions are never easy. And sometimes they demand sacrifice. Sacrifice of many things to achieve something for a later generation. It's a tough movie to watch for many reasons, but it's also not taking prisoners (literally at times), which you might like about it or dismiss. But that's how things can go down, when there is uproar.

We might live in societies today that don't have to fight for certain things, but it's not too much of a stretch to see why and how some had to fight for freedom of speech or religion or other things. The movie depicts a real life event/incidents, which might appall some viewers from the get go, but if you like Drama and History in general, this might be for you. I haven't read too much about how things went down exactly, but I reckon this movie made me aware of a chapter I hadn't had heard about before ...
  • I want to discuss the R rating this movie was given since the rating seems to be a major source of concern for many parents who would like to take their children to see this movie.

After having seen For Greater Glory over the weekend I can honestly say this film deserved a PG-13 rating. In fact, thinking about it later that evening, I was highly irritated the movie was given the rating it was given. I felt it was unfair and misleading.

I feel very strongly that this is a good and important movie. More films like this need to be made and the only way producers will continue to make these films is if movie goers support them with the purchase of a ticket. Please do not let the R rating deter you. I would not recommend this movie for small children under 10, but certainly it is acceptable for younger viewers 10-17. If you are still unsure then see the movie beforehand and make the call depending on your child's level of sensitivity. You know your child best.

Here is what is NOT in this movie…there was not an ounce of nudity, absolutely no sex, no sexual innuendos, no crass humor, or a singular utterance of profanities.

Gun violence was prevalent but it was handled without excessive gore or blood. There were several lynchings, one of a child that was hard too watch. However, the gun violence was nothing more than one would see in an old fashioned western. The hardest and most disturbing thing to watch in the entire movie was the martyrdom of Bl. José Sánchez del Río. If anything would give me hesitation to suggest this movie for younger viewers it would be the subject matter of Bl. Jose's death.

For a full review read http://www.patheos.com/blogs/thecrescat/2012/06/for-greater-glory- unfairly-rated-r.html
  • This is a one sided docudrama about the Cristeros War in Mexico (1926-1929), a war between Catholics against the atheist Government of Mexico.

Andy Garcia stars as the leader of the revolt Enrique Gorostieta. The big problem with this is his acting style. He is too cold and too regal. It's hard to maintain his humanity while he seems to be above it all.

There is no doubt that this is a one-sided history. Are they putting on propaganda? Just consider that the production company and money has a lot of Catholic and supporters' fingers on it. Keep that in mind, and watch a pretty good movie.
  • "For Greater Glory" is an amazing film. It's an inspiring retelling of the the Cristeros War against the Mexican government for its having outlawed the Catholic Church and its executions and massacres of those who dared to live out their religious freedom.

The cast is top-notch and the direction pretty competent, keeping the story weaved among intimate scenes and battle scenes. Filled with poignant moments of the lives of the protagonists and of those close to them and with the heroic - as well as less than heroic - skirmish scenes.

It's a movie about taking sides courageously, how conflicting this can be in a man's conscience, especially when it involves the spilling of blood. If anything, the personal struggle of many characters getting into this war and carrying it out made the film shine. From the young boy who faced martyrdom for the Catholic faith - Jose Sanchez del Rio, beatified in 2005 - to his uncle, a cowardly mayor too enamored of power to save him.

I cannot help thinking how timely this film is when the Church and Catholics - for now - are again being curtailed in their freedoms by a government with its own agenda, this time the American government trying to limit the Church's ministry and to force Catholics to violate their consciences. Like Calles, Obama has presented the same arguments to justify his unjustifiable actions against the Church, Catholics and their institutions. It's government might over faith, the collective over the individual, an usurpation of the state to serve not the people, but an ideology.

PS: disregard most professional critics' reviews for they seem to have a chip on their shoulder so big that it blinds them to the artistic and cinematographic qualities of this film.
  • This movie is complicated. It is beautifully shot and has a decent cast but misses the mark badly. This is a story of black(supporters of the church) vs white (the atheistic gov't), there is no grey. The white guys kill the black guys in grotesque manners and spout such strident anti church rhetoric that is reciprocated with beatific exaltations by the black guys that after 10 mins. of screen time all the character become caricatures. It should have been filmed in Spanish to start. I understand, this movie was meant to appeal to white, middle class and up American christians. As well, all the people that matter in this movie are dressed impeccably and appear to have a higher standard of living than most Americans today. All the peasants are blurry background figures. If you are a christian who likes to think it is a us vs them world then this is the movie for you. All others beware.
    There's no greater measure for 'separation of church and state' than the just-released film For Greater Glory, which poses the question: What price would you pay for freedom? Billed as an action epic, the powerfully riveting faith-based drama reconstructs factual events surrounding the 20th century Mexican revolt led by devout Catholics against the federal government for freedom of religion, known as the Cristeros War. From 1926 to 1929, the civil resistance escalated into a bloody battle before the United States intervened.

Included among the Cristeros highlighted for heroic efforts—those who zealously resisted the anti-clerical laws in the name of Cristo Rey (Christ the King)—was retired General Enrique Gorostieta.Oscar-nominated Cuban-born actor Andy Garcia portrays the general as a man of little faith, who ultimately goes against the militia to become a fierce leader of the grassroots rebellion.

The depth of emotion evoked by newcomer Mexican native Mauricio Kuri's commercial film debut as the adolescent martyr Jose Luis Sanchez del Rio, whom courageously refused to denounce his sacred allegiance to the cause at all cost, will move you regardless of your religious affiliation. He was beatified (declared holy) by Pope Benedict XVI in 2005.

"It's a story that had to be told," said producer and fellow Mexican Pablo Jose Barroso of the English-language movie shot-on-location and formerly titled Cristiada for foreign-speaking audiences. "For Greater Glory is not about Catholicism but about a piece of Mexican history that not many people know about, even many Mexicans, including myself," Barroso added. "We wanted a deep, non-preachy message."

If opening at No.1 in Mexico is any indication, American viewers too, will know of the unconscionable atrocities suffered by some 50,000 valiant rebels, including those among them who sacrificed their lives in what's been called 'the daring people's revolt.'

Panamanian actor/musician Reuben Blades is ruthless President Elias Calles. Veteran actor and Honorary Academy Award recipient Peter O'Toole plays a priest that befriends young Jose Luis but is assassinated for non-compliance with sacrilegious laws enforced by the Federales. Eva Longoria stars opposite Garcia as his emotionally torn wife along with an international ensemble of actors and actresses that helped bring this dark chapter in the history of Mexico's Republic to a world audience. Besides Mexican heritage, many of the cast and crew share a Catholic upbringing as well.

According to a letter Garcia reportedly received from the general's granddaughter thanking him for honoring Gorostieta's part in the insurgence Calles downplayed so much that it's still not spoken about in Mexico today, purportedly due to fear of opening old wounds.

Formal relations with the Vatican were not re-established until 1992.
    As a film critic who has a belief (or faith) in a being greater than myself (I know, I've just alienated about 50 percent of the readers), it's hard not to notice Hollywood's prevalent tendency to belittle and impugn Christianity.

However, with the advent of "Joyful Noise" in January and now "For Greater Glory" I'm wondering if the embracing of religion is the start of a new trend.

But while "Joyful Noise" was harmless, mindless fluff touching on songs of worship, this new release — bankrolled by several independent, faith-based groups — spares no subtly on its pro-Catholic Church message.

In fact, it pounds that message into the ground with the force of a jackhammer (as well as poor direction, sub-par acting, often banal dialogue and amateur camera work that is both irritating and seizure-inducing).

Yet, for all of that, there are some standout performances and an strong emotional thread, plus, I think the story needs to be told — I just wish first-time director Dean Wright (a visual technician for such films as "Titanic") and writer Michael Love ("La Leyenda del Tesoro") could have told it better.

In 1925, after a series of violent revolutions transformed Mexico from the quiet, bucolic country led by a series of generals, corrupt officials and high-minded civilians, into a quasi-socialist republic, President Plutarco Elias Calles (a terrific job by Ruben Blades, "Safe House") has practically outlawed the Catholic Church, in practice, but not theory.

His federal soldiers, like the Nazi stormtroopers in "Schindler's List," ride into villages, wreck and desecrate houses of worship, capture and/or kill priests and constantly terrorize believers (where is the Magnificent Seven when we need them?). A series of laws passed several years earlier — to separate church and state — are the basis of these actions.

Many of the Mexican people, however, with Catholicism so much a part of their culture, begin to fight back, first with passive disobedience and economic embargoes, then, finally, with armed resistance.

Leading this revolution-within-a-revolution at first is outlaw Victoriano 'El Catorce' Ramirez (Oscar Isaac, "Drive") and his priest brother, Father Vega (Santiago Cabrera, "The Life of Fish").

A series of underground networks supply men and ammunition, while many women in the country smuggle items for the cause. When the government begins to crack down, however, a more organized resistance is called for.

Enter Gen. Enrique Gorostieta Velarde (Andy Garcia, "Ocean's Thirteen"), a former war hero who had defeated the likes of Pancho Villa to secure the current administration and its subsequent oppression.

Even though Velarde (an atheist, that respects freedom of religion) does not want to get involved, pressure from his wife, Tulita (Eva Longoria, a voice in "Arthur Christmas"), and others pushes him into action.

With his brilliant military strategies, the ragtag army begins to develop discipline and turns the tide of battle (although it seems that the federal troops were getting stomped all over the place, even BEFORE Velarde showed up; they are as incompetent as the German pilots in "Red Tails").

Subplots include a little boy, Joselito (Maurico Kuri, "La Leyenda del Tesoro"), joining the fight; and United States ambassador to Mexico, Dwight Morrow (Bruce Greenwood, "Thirteen Days"), trying to trade Calles machine guns for extension of oil rights.

Kuri, at age 14, is one of the best things about the picture, as his emotional scenes with his parents and Father Christopher (a brief appearance by Peter O' Toole, "Troy") are heart-wrenching and horrifyingly real. He and Blades carry the thespian parts of For Greater Glory very well.

I wish I could say the same about most of the other acting work. Greenwood is always solid, as is Issac, but Garcia (with almost 90% of the screen time) goes from far too laid back to over-the-top. He gives — not one — but three fiery, inspirational speeches (one, on horseback before a battle, is stolen directly from "Braveheart," even down to the underlying musical score from James Horner, and the only thing missing is the blue paint on his face).

Longoria does the best she can with what she has, but she like most of the others come across as just mouthing their lines or gesturing dramatically.

Be forewarned though — this is not a family film by ANY stretch of the imagination. There are shootings, stabbings, hangings (including one of a young boy), people being burned alive and a horrid (but short) torture sequence. For Greater Glory certainly earned its "R" rating — and then some.

The use of independent, religious-based funds shows most glaringly in the technical department, however. The editing is practically non-existent (leading to the 143 minute running time, which could have been trimmed by at least 40 minutes), and the choppy camera work, especially during the battle scenes, is almost unwatchable at times.

Still, I cannot give this movie a total pass because it is a story worthy of more than the few that have heard of it. See it, if only for that reason.
  • This story is a one-sided view of a war in Mexico. It is filled with fabrications and historical inaccuracies. It's nothing more than a pro-Catholic self promoting vehicle filled with overly simplified dramatization of historical events.

The only thing which is true about this movie was there were people fighting each other and thousands of people were killed. One side was pro-government and the other side was pro-catholic. Oh and that it took place in Mexico.

Overall the movie was a waste of time and resources. It didn't win any awards from the ALMA, though it was nominated for five awards. The amount of money it took in was also less impressive with $9.6 million earned but cost $12 million to make.
  • Twenty minutes into this film and I realized how bad a movie can be made. Cellophane characters and many missing elements that can make a movie work. Such stumblings of storyline one after another. Even the stars looked out of any believable fulfillment of their characters. Bad script always leads to bad acting even by good people. When a movie leaves the moviegoer questioning .."What is going on" scene after scene you finally get up and leave in hopes of finding another movie playing that will salvage my time and money spent. My wife and I found another film that, at least, passed the time better. That film was the "Dictator". Not a great improvement but at least we could laugh a few times.
    The film for Greater Glory is based on actual fact, even today there is a lack of religious freedom in Mexico, and there is an attack on the Catholic Church in United States. In contrast, films of the Davinci Code and Angels & Demons, are mere assumptions or atheistic propaganda.

To learn the true story of the Mexican martyrs and murderers Masons present in United States and Mexico visit Wikipedia the Cristero War.

It amazes me how some Americans claim that the anti-Catholic President "Calles" was a socialist, when in reality he was a Mason liberal. But many Americans use this movie to defend their liberal-capitalism- Mason actually, and did those Freemasons and their secularist ideology that killed Catholics in Mexico and those who persecute the Catholic Church in America right now. President Calles and Obama are not communist-socialists, they are pro- atheists, secularists, Masons, but actually in both the Republican Party as the Democratic Party there is masons anti-catholic.

Is the best movie I have ever seen about recent history. Show us how the gov secular and atheist of Mexico wants to destroy Catholic Church. Is an epic and emotive movie. Inspirational, with real heroes, and martyrs. 'For Greater Glory' YES IS the glorious epic that we the people are hoped, but not for the bias liberal media, full of bigotry secular, anti-catholic, pro-masonic.

"For Greater Glory" is the history of the religious persecution and attack to the catholic Church in Mexico and the liberties of mexicans, in my country, I am always living in Jalisco, and I know very well my history, how the masonic orders and liberal government of president "Calles" were the killers of catholic people.

NO, the Catholic priests they don't took up arms against Mexico's revolutionary government's efforts to repress the Catholic Church, in reality was the Mexican people who defend their liberties, liberties to believe, liberties to practice their religion, liberties to think. The Catholic priests they were victims and martyrs.

The violent of the movie is aimed to all the people of the world to show how bigger is the hate on religion, and how brutal can be the secular atheist. Is a sermon for the evil atheists and for liberal people.

In 1920s Mexico, there isn't a "leftist" administration of President Plutarco Calles, but a "Masonic liberal" government, like the actual governments in the world. Now, in Mexico, Canada and US, we suffer the anti-catholic policies of the Masons, and secularist fanatics, and governments anti-religion.

At the end of the movie, the crowd say: ¡Viva Cristo Rey!, (Long life to Christ the King!) and the people are crying, because is a very emotional and very good movie.

The martyrs of the movie are real people, are real martyrdom, IS NOT A LAUGHABLY MOVIE OF THE MARTYRS PAIN. And IS NOT A PROPAGANDISTIC MOVIE, IS A HISTORIC MOVIE.

The movie is based in the investigation of Historian Jean Meyer.

If you're tackling a subject this complex and You are a writter of a newspaper or blog, You need to be more careful. You need to investigate the true, without intolerance "anti-catholic". The movie is an R-rating because the hate of atheists was brutal, You can not tell the true without show the reality.