User Reviews (340)

• I love this movie through and through. I've made all my friends and family watch it, and I've seen it myself no less than a dozen times. It is precisely my cup of tea. Why? Well, I'm not too great at explaining myself or critical thinking on film, but I'll give it a shot.

The pacing. Starts out with a bang, dials it way back, then turns up gradually. We don't so much see a mystery unfold as we do go through a process somewhat behind the eyes of Jackie Chan's character. He takes his time, not that he bides it.

The fallible hero. Jackie Chan is old. You didn't know? Well he is. And it shows. They don't try to go the Stallone route where he somehow hasn't lost a step and can fight a tank even though he's in his 70's. When he gets hit, it hurts. No more 30 minute long fights with ladders and folding chairs.

The villain. Pierce Brosnan is one of my faves, and he turned up a good performance, in my opinion. An ex-extremist gone soft, playing politics. His presence enough would've been enough to satisfy, but he played the part well. Thankfully.

The score/soundtrack. Carpenter-esque, and it really sets the tone. Keeps it tense. People who aren't familiar with Carpenter might liken it to the score used in Stranger Things. And I think it's perfect.

I guess those are the major points. Now go watch it. It may be the last time you get to see Jackie Chan in a decent movie.
  • sjspol28 October 2017
    I expected the movie to be a standard action movie with a weak plot. This movie surprised me on several levels. First the plot was above average for an action movie. Second, Jackie Chan turned in a subdued and very good character portrayal. Third,the movie was not the typical martial arts laden Jackie Chan performance. There were martial art scenes but they were not over done as in prior Chan movies. Supporting cast led by Pierce Brosnan were also very good. In summary, if your a fan of the action genre you will not be disappointed.
  • Given that my "Jackie Chan Experience" had been limited to the "Rush Hour" films with Chris Tucker, I was totally (no pun intended) blown away by "The Foreigner." Not only is this is a really good revenge/action movie but Jackie Chan, though still limiting his English dialogue, manages to hold his own with Pierce Brosnan. Jackie Chan's performance made me think back to the silent movies (I went to film school) when actors conveyed emotion through facial expression, not words.

As for the plot--that aI won't spoil for you--it's above average, and blends several social issues about immigration, family loyalty, and Britain/Ireland history. Bottom line: this film was much better than I expected it would be.
  • Terrorists routinely take out civilian targets, killing innocents who just happen to be in the wrong place. The terrorists don't consider reprisals from the victims or their families; they only expect government agencies to retaliate. But what if a victim had unusual abilities that would permit him to take action? This is the basic premise of "The Foreigner".

Jackie Chan plays Quan, a small, unassuming Asian man whose daughter happens to be a casualty in a politically motivated London bombing. With little left to live for, he commits him self to revenge/justice. Adapted from a book called "The Chinaman", the story allows Chan to use his martial arts in service to a personal cause. He employs stealth and intimidation to discover who the terrorists are, then goes after them.

Pierce Brosnan plays Liam Hennessey, an Irish politician who is a former IRA member. He wants to identify the bomber(s) for political reasons, and to hold together a fracturing 19-year accord that was never accepted by some.

The story is complex, but totally comprehensible. The direction of Martin Campbell and the editing keep the action moving and tight. This is not merely an action film; it's a tense drama about conflicting causes.
    I am easily distracted during a film but not this one, utterly engrossing. A good build up, sound plot line, enough turns to keep you thinking but not so many you get lost. Jackie Chan gave a believable performance of a father stricken by grief and Pierce Brosnan a commanding portrail of a conflicted member Irish parliament and of Sein Féin. Both gave a performance that should be listed as one of their best...ever. It's not full of 'cinema' martial arts but effective and authentic skills, even the use of a curtain/towel as a tenugi. The attention to minor items such as call signs and radio procedures was spot on. The military aspects were legitimate and a credit to the advisors on the film. Please watch it, it is well worth it.
  • Was a huge fan of his movies made earlier in his career. Lately, most of his movies had been nothing but disappointment, until The Foreigner.

Jackie Chan isn't young anymore, but he was able to show that he still have some juice left.

Pure action, his stunt trademarks, and not too much of CGI (unlike recent movies where poor CGI effects really spoilt the films).

I will not spoil it for you, just got watch it, and you'll not regret it.
  • The film "The Foreigner" is a truly brilliant thriller that holds your breath from the first minute to the last minute. You never know what will happen and have to stare on the screen all the time. The makeup, sound mixing, action choreography, and acting performances are all top-notch. Jackie Chan perhaps gives his career-best performances, both physically and emotionally.

More specifically, there are two disparate story lines in "The Foreigner". The first is an action line, where Quan(Jackie Chan) seeks revenge after the death of his daughter, and the second story line is a political one, in which Hennessy(Pierce Brosnan), a former IRA member, gets involved in a complicated conspiracy. The two story lines progress in parallel in an extremely fast pace, and converge from time to time. The directing is just amazing in the sense that such a complex story can be told in less than two hours. Some action fans might get confused when they find out that only half of the film is about action, but the political story line only adds to the complexity and depth of the film, making it more relevant to real life.

In one word, I would give the film a 9/10 rating.
  • Jackie Chan is back, ladies and gentlemen!  And the political/action/revenge thriller he has chosen as his comeback is a wise choice - action packed, exciting but very, very serious.

Jackie stars as Quan Ngoc Minh (he's called Quan throughout the film) a father of a teenager who is overly protective of her.  When his daughter is killed by an IRA terrorist bomb (this is not a spoiler, it was shown in the trailers and happens in the first 5 minutes of the film), Quan turns out to have a "certain set of skills" that will help him identify and hunt down those responsible.

Part TAKEN, part PATRIOT GAMES and part RAMBO, Quan gets caught up in a much larger game of political intrigue and terrorism as he seeks to bring to justice those that harmed his daughter.

Chan is a welcome sight back on the big screen.  But be aware - this is a dour, serious Chan - I don't think he breaks a smile throughout the course of this film.  His character has a minimal amount of lines and - as we expect from a Jackie Chan film - he is a man of action and not words.

And the action is terrific. Chan, now 63 years old, seems to be doing most of his own stunts and age hasn't slowed him much at all.  It was great fun to see him jumping around, beating up the bad guys and flying down drainpipes and over vehicles.  Jackie still has it.

Since Chan is silent and dour, the lion's share of the emotion, plotting and energy of this film falls to the chief antagonist - Pierce Brosnan's Liam Hennessy - who just might know more than he is letting on about the bombing.  Brosnan has aged gracefully, post-James Bond, and he continues to surprise me with the depth of his performances.  He makes a good adversary to Chan.

Also making a comeback, of sorts, is Director Martin Campbell - who Directed Daniel Craig as James Bond in CASINO ROYALE and Brosnan himself  as Bond in GOLDENEYE.  Campbell hasn't directed a Major Motion Picture since the 2011 flop, THE GREEN LANTERN.  It is good to see the practiced eye and steady hand of a veteran Director at the helm.

Be warned - this film is not all action - Campbell spends much of his time on the political maneuvering of Brosnan with Chan jumping in (literally) to spoil plans time and again, so be ready for that type of film, not a RUSH HOUR fun romp.  If you do, you'll be rewarded, indeed.

Letter Grade A-

8 stars (out of 10) and you can take that to the Bank (ofMarquis)
  • This is a super engrossing action-thriller-drama.

An innocent child is the victim in a terrorist bomb but the perpetrators do not know of the desperate determination and grit of the victim's father.

There are two astonishing performances: first from Jackie Chan as the aggrieved father; and second from Pierce Brosnan as a suspicious and duplicitous politician.

Jackie Chan is outstanding as the grieving parent out for justice. And despite some action being of the kung fu variety that does not detract from a great show.

Pierce Brosnan is equally remarkable, displaying amazing realism in his portrayal of an Irish political leader.

This movie is highly recommended:

8/10.
  • trbartel27 October 2017
    Best Action Movie...why? Certainly not over priced special effects and huge explosions. This movie was deep...pay attention. The plot is intricately woven and suspenseful. Jackie plays an Oscar worthy role as a deeply mournful parent looking for answers and won't take no for an answer. Pierce was sensational and very believable. One of the best all around casting jobs I've seen in a while. If you know nothing about the Brits and the IRA conflicts, spend 5 minutes on Wikipedia before going to see the movie. This is a must see!!
  • I knew ahead of time going in this movie was more about the story that it was Jackie beating the crap out of goons (which I personally love to see). Both Jackie and Pierce did very well in the respective roles, Pierce's malice really shined through in the story while Jackie's dramatic acting was very believable and really helped immersion. I was impressed by the actions scenes as they were fitting and not ill placed. Everyone added to the storyline and wasn't throw in there to just to give us action. Even though this doesn't fit the standard role we usually see Mr. Chan in, he really brings depth to a story that could have been shallow. If you're debating it, don't just watch it.
  • When i saw this movie release in theater, i cant wait to watch this movie and i'm not disappointed at all. The movie starts with good background story, i can see the bonding between father and daughter, loving each other who are living in London, England. Then the tragic bombing happened, unfortunately Chan daughter was nearby and killed by that tragedy. Someone claim that was their deeds, and it is a terrorist attack. I feel really sad and sorry with Chan, i can see he is really suffered because of his loss. I'm so impressed with Chan acting in this movie, it seems he really does his role so deep and emotional. I can see Chan character who is broken, suffering, mysterious, have a dark past and loss his patience with the investigation which take a long time, because it involve some political issues with Ireland, who is in peace agreement with England. I think this is one of the best Chan acting performa in his entire career.

And one more who is really take this movie to be one of the best in 2017 is Pierce Brosnan. He acts as Liam Hennesy, someone who is an official government. The story then become more complex and slowly reveal the connection between Hennesy and the terrorist. At one point, i really love this movie because it not only pure action movie, but it gives you many political issues and problems. When it involve politics, everything becomes complicated.

At another point, this movie has a good story with deep emotional background story, and you can feel symphatic easily with those two main characters. They have their own reason for what they are doing, and it feels realistic and deep. The action is amazing too ! I think everyone already know with Chan success in acting movies. We can see Chan who is really skilled and dangerous, but already old and can out of stamina easily.

At last, i think all aspect in this movie is remarkable. The action movie with deep emotional story and complex political issues makes this movie really amazing. I recommend you to watch this movie asap, even if you watch it twice, i think it will still be exciting !
  • I have always been a superstitious fan of jackie chan...a kind of blind one i think...from the early age of my watching movie time i was thrilled by those action packed movies of him.and yet again he proved me right this time.This movie contains jackie chan..it is enough for me to say it a good film...but when i saw this i found besides him many crucial parts of it had to be watched and to be thinked for...the plot,the twists and turnes ...the music...all this adds to the flavour...I realized jackie is a small part of this fabulous movie....May be 30-40%...in maths..

This movie offers many aspects of sudden and chronic mind blowing thoughts and ideas..so thrilling...so executive and the movie build up is so progressive that it pulls u into it. As the movie starts with a simple londonian buisenessman, accelerates with the death of his beloved daughter,rides with the truth revealing actions full of terrorism, buried past and a British government official. The movie gently will be blended with u...will generate a storm in ur brain....will particularly play with ur thoughts and at the end will toy ur perceptions.

The movie moves on dynamically towards a thrilling climax...touchy one as well..acting is u know will be always excellent with jackie chan...but others also have done well including pierce brosnan.... Good to see him in a very good form after a time i can say...the actions are also eye soothing....u can not ignore those when jackie is around ...can u ??????

such movie should not be missed.....never say no to this one....never.......
  • Better than expected vendetta movie with an unusual role for Jackie Chan as a humble restaurant owner with a buried past, who eventually becomes a merciless avenger . It deals with a businessman, Jackie Chan, runs a restaurant, when Quan carries to his daughter Fan : Katie Long, to a dressing store she is suddenly killed at an act of terrorism. The bombing is claimed by a terrorist organization called "Authentic IRA". Quan erupts in vendetta-fueled action and focusing on the Northern Ireland deputy Prime Minister, Henessy: Pierce Brosnan, married to Mary and with a lover, Charlie Murphy. Henessy holds a dark past and knows about identity of previous Ira terrorists, at the same time condemning the massacre perpretors . As Quan heads for Belfast to meet Henessy who allegedly has clues to the identities of the elusive murderers. While , Quan sets off a homemade bomb in his office. As he carries out threats unless he gets the bombers' names, though the government official Henessy claims to have not knowledge of the bombings . Quan blows away enemies who have killed those who were dear to him.

At the beginning the plot is plain and simple, a relentless revenge, but along the way the script becomes more and more complex and twisted, including a dangerous cat and mouse game among the main protagonists. As the tale contains noisy action, intrigue, violent fights, thrills, chills, suspense and a lot of twists and turns. Here our protagonist Quan acts Charles Bronson/Death Wish-alike, as he exacts as a vigilante, taking law on his own hands when his daughter is victimized , doing Judge, Jury and executioner. Very good acting all around. Jackie Chan gives the best performance of his long career as a good elderly father who seeks revenge when his only person who holds his existence is murdered in a clothing store bombing. Pierce Brosnan is fine, he plays the suspect State Official, Gerry Adams-alike whose past may hold fundamental tracks in the case. His jealous spouse is well played by Orla Brady, his intriguing lover performed by Charlie Murphy and his assistant Kavanaugh acted by Michael McElhatton of Game of thrones.

It contains an atmospheric and adequate cinematography by David Tattersall, showing efficiently London metropolis where sets the action. Thrilling and suspenseful musical score by Cliff Martinez. The motion picture was well directed by Martin Campbell. He is a good craftsman and expert on thrillers and action movies such as : No escape, Criminal law, Lovecraft, The mask of Zorro, The legend of Zorro, Three for all, GoldenEye, Casino Royale, Vertical limit, Reckless, Last resort, Edge of darkness, Green Lantern, among others. Rating 7/1o. Well worth seeing. Better than average. Essential and indispensable watching for Jackie Chan fans.
  • "The Foreigner" (2017 release from the UK and China; 114 min.) brings the story of Quan, an older Chinese restaurant owner in London. As the movie opens, Quan picks up his 16 yr. old daughter from high school to take her shopping for a dress. He drops her off at a boutique, and while he parks the car, a bomb explodes, killing his daughter and 11 others. The "Authentic IRA", a previously unknown IRA splinter group from Northern Ireland, claims responsibility. Northern Ireland's Deputy Prime Minister Hennessy fears this may end the 19 year old peace, and calls in all political leaders. Meanwhile, Quan decides to do to Belfast himself to track down the killers... At this point we are 15 min. into the movie but to tell you more of the plot would spoil your viewing experience, you'll just have to see for yourself how it all plays out.

Couple of comments: this is the latest movie from British director Martin Campbell, best known for directing the James Bond films "Goldeneye" and "Casino Royale". It also marks the reunion of Campbell and Pierce Brosnan (who plays Hennessy). I know little about the movie going in, and was surprised (in the best possible way) that this turned out to be a complex and serious political action drama. This is MILES away from the silly (if entertaining) "Rush Hour" movies. In fact Jackie Chan (playing the role of Quan) disappears from the big screen for significant stretches of time (I'm talking more than 15 min., and more than once). The biggest surprise for me is the outstanding work from Pierce Brosnan, in his best role in YEARS, and in that sense Brosnan ends up stealing the movie. The photography of London and Belfast is eye-candy. Last but certainly not least, there is a wonderful electronic score for this movie, courtesy of composer Cliff Martinez.

"The Foreigner" was already a big hit in China by the time it was released in the US last weekend. I finally got a chance to see it this weekend. The Saturday early evening where I saw this at was attended okay but not great. Perhaps it was because I had no specific expectations, but I was more than pleased with this movie. If you like a complex political action drama, I encourage you to check out "The Foreigner", be it in the theater, on VOD, or eventually on DVD/Blu-ray, and draw your own conclusion.
  • Anurag-Shetty17 October 2017
    The Foreigner is based on the novel 'The Chinaman', by Stephen Leather. Quan Ngoc Minh(Jackie Chan) loves his daughter Fan(Katie Leung), a lot. Fan is killed in a bomb blast. Quan will go to any means necessary, to find the people behind the bomb blast & bring them to justice.

The Foreigner is a great movie. Director Martin Campbell has maintained the suspense throughout the film. The action set pieces are superb. The performances are the highlight of the movie. Jackie Chan is spectacular as Quan Ngoc Minh. Chan flawlessly portrays the gamut of emotions that his character feels, during the course of the film. Pierce Brosnan is brilliant as Liam Hennessy. The supporting cast is fantastic. The Foreigner is a must watch for Jackie Chan fans & fans of action thrillers. Go & witness an intense Jackie Chan movie.
  • REVIEW - THE FOREIGNER

There are very few films that impress me much these days, either the story is rubbish, the acting terrible or the effects just dull, but and this is a HUGE BUT, this film is THE BEST JACKIE CHAN FILM!

From start to finish excellent, can't say anything more.

One film you must see.

Previous films were humorous with amazing stunts this is real in your face.

A new Chapter of Chan!

Rating 10 out of 10
  • From the director of Casino Royale comes the movie starring Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan The Foreigner! Humble businessman with a buried past seeks Justice when his daughter is killed in an act of terrorism. His name is Quan Ngoc Minh (Jackie Chan). He will stop at nothing until everyone that was responsible is killed or brought down!

Jackie Chan real life is now 63 years old and for someone who is 63 years old he is still doing his own stunts and is able to carry the entire movie without any need of pointless CGI or stunt people. I know a lot of people will be disappointed due to the fact that the film relies heavily on it being a thriller and drama rather than an action film. There are still very many fight scenes in there the Jackie Chan fans will love but the whole point of the movie was Jackie Chan's loss of his daughter. Pierce Brosnan also gets a lot of screen time and his scenes are quite powerful. Not everyone will love it but it definitely just goes to prove the Jackie Chan still has enough juice left in him to do his own stunts! 3/5 stars
  • After Jackie Chan's daughter is killed by the so called 'authentic IRA' he sets out to track down her killer, by coercing ex IRA member and now deputy minister Pierce Brosnan to find out who did it.

2 stories essentially run in parallel here, Chan's revenge which gives us most of the standard, albeit well paced action and Brosnan working to find the killers whilst his past catches up with him

Not surprisingly given Martin Campbell is at the helm this hangs together well particularly the political elements and a fine star performance from Brosnan - seeing an older more subdued turn from Chan is also interesting
    This really isn't the film you expect it to be. Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan in the lead roles points towards an action-packed revenge thriller, but for the first half of the film, it's actually a well- balanced, dark and often dramatically intense film. Then once you're settled into that, it switches back to the Taken-esque action thriller you were expecting in the first place, providing some good entertainment, but getting a little stuck in developing a genuinely enthralling story.

Let's start with the first, more dramatic half of the story. The film starts off quite literally with a bang thanks to an impressive and memorable terrorist attack sequence, and one that perfectly sets up the story of Jackie Chan's character for the rest of the movie.

What's great about the first half of The Foreigner is that it knows you're expecting action, so still satisfies that with a couple of big bursts of action, but it most impresses when it comes to the slower, quieter sequences in which Chan begins his quest for justice after his daughter is killed, and he is left feeling utterly battered and alone.

Jackie Chan himself is one of the real stand-outs of the whole movie, proving that he's actually got the dramatic chops when it comes down to it, and impresses with a genuinely nuanced performance early on, bringing home the tragic nature of his character's situation, easily letting you sympathise with him.

So, throughout the film's first half, we see Chan becoming more and more engrossed in the search for the terrorists who killed his daughter, to the point where he travels from London to Belfast in Northern Ireland with the hope of gaining information from an influential politician.

At first, the film continues the character's tragic story, and continues to impress in that degree, even showing some hugely unexpected lengths to which a man will go in search of justice.

However, the second half of the film is where things start to change, and unfortunately disappoint. Despite the first act's dramatic intrigue, the story runs out of genuinely interesting development, not managing to bring anything further to the plot than watching Chan get more and more impatient in his quest for answers, something that really does get repetitive eventually.

From then on, the movie turns back into the big action thriller you were expecting when you first went in. Despite his character's age, Jackie Chan abruptly bursts into his trademark martial arts action, and although it's a plot point that is eventually explained, it's not something that feels all that organic in the middle of the story, instead feeling like the dramatic story ran out of ideas, to the extent that it could only resort to Jackie Chan's trademark stuntwork.

A lot of the action is actually pretty good, and Martin Campbell directs a lot of the fighting sequences with an impressively brutal and striking style, meaning that the film remains an entertaining watch throughout, even if it doesn't manage to keep up the impressive drama it had managed to establish earlier on.
  • Not a typical Jackie Chan movie but it is a good one. The drama and action scenes are very well done and Pearce Brosnan (the best Bond there ever was) is great in this role cast out of type. Good story that seems very realistic and up to date, but Jackie steals the show with his very good and under rated acting. It is also amazing that at his age he can still fight better than most half his age.
  • When I came to knew that Martin Campbell directed Brosnan in GoldenEye (1995) and Daniel Craig in Casino Royale(2006), I knew that I was going to experience something refreshing. China-Man and Ex-Bond in one flick! A composed and crafted script from the crew. Much better than Blade Runner 2049. You don't need IMAX/3D "immersion" if you can deliver it to the audience!

The best Jackie Chan movie till date. Last but not least , I like this dialogue: "Politicians and terrorists,they are just 2 ends of the same snake. One end bites and the other doesn't."
  • Another masterpiece by legendary jackie chan, the plot is bit predictable, but the way it's executed is way too good :) Please watch it :) summary- Quan (Jackie Chan) is a humble London businessman whose long-buried past erupts in a revenge-fuelled vendetta when his teenage daughter dies in a senseless act of politically motivated terrorism. His relentless search to find the terrorists leads to a cat-and-mouse conflict with a British government official Hennessy (Pierce Brosnan), whose own past may hold the clues to the identities of the elusive killers.
  • rexer-1894223 October 2017
    I love believable characters and believable stories in action movies. This is not a normal Jackie Chan movie but he's the right guy for the role. He just does the things that makes you feel good about his character. The story has a progression that's absorbing, it's mesmerizing and continues to get better all the way to the climax. I want to tell you all about this but I'd spoil it for you. Go see it!
    The basic plot of "The Foreigner " revolves around an Asian businessman (Jackie Chan) with a hidden past whose life gets turned upside-down when his teenage daughter is killed in a politically-motivated act of terrorism. His search for the elusive killers leads him to a British / Irish government official (Pierce Brosnan), whose own "muddy" past holds clues to the killers and their motives.

Jackie Chan gives the best performance of his career. He has finally managed to prove the fact that he is totally capable of giving an emotionally-charged performance, when given the opportunity of doing so. Of course, he will impress the action fans once again in this movie(Don't worry, there's enough of his cool martial arts and stunts).

Pierce Brosnan delights everyone once again, with his well-acted complex role. He definitely proves that he is one of the most versatile and genuine performers from his generation of actors.

The direction is very impressive. The director of "The Foreigner" really knows and displays the true meaning and atmosphere of the word "thriller". I would love to become a story-screenplay writer for movies. Employers can contact me at svhot34@gmail.com