User Reviews (35)

• IndustriousAngel28 January 2013
    Bleak story, beautiful setting
    It's complete art-house fare but since the source material is one of Austria's great novels of the 20th century (it was written in the early 1960s) they gave this film a semi-wide release here in Austria. It's a last-woman-on-Earth-story - think about Robinson Crusoe, The Road, I am Legend, but very naturalistic except for the wall which traps the protagonist in a secluded alpine area. It was a bit toned down from the book - some of the more violent or disgusting passages were missing, I guess not to alienate the audience too much since the story is intense enough already. This seemed to work as WOM is quite good, everybody was discussing it on our way out. My son (who didn't know the book) was impressed too. Also left out were any references to the cold war which were not that important in the book to begin with; here the wall is more like a natural catastrophe and the story is much more timeless this way. From a technical POV this was excellent, filmed with a RED-to-35mm and much natural light I think. Most of the crew hail from TV productions but it's clearly visible how much fun they had with the wide format. Sound design was good too. Music was sparse, a few Bach sonatas. And I liked how they didn't color-grade the thing to death as happens sometimes (The Road, Children of Men ...) - the story is bleak enough without much fiddling - we get the message. The landscape, wood and winter sequences are just beautiful. Highly recommended if you're able to see this. Maybe it gets a foreign run; there's nearly no dialogue, most spoken text is just off-screen-quoting from her diary so subtitles or dubbing won't really take away much.
  • sarahmoens21 June 2013
    Connectedness by isolation
    What a beautiful story this is. I can understand why Julian Pölsler wanted to film his favorite book of Marlen Haushofer, a book that I've now added to my to read list.

The scenery of Austria is so beautiful. Experiencing the country through all the seasons would have been enough for me to watch the movie. But the movie is so much more than just beautiful scenery. The plot made me profoundly think about humanity, nature, life... and if a movie succeeds in doing that it deserves merit. I also like that multiple interpretations can apply to the movie, since it has a certain symbolical feel to it, rather than being a science fiction or utopian/dystopian story. I for example see a lot of parallels with someone who has a depression, not being able to fight an invisible wall, struggling to do everyday tasks in order to survive, feeling alienated.

It's great how the connectedness with nature is illustrated. How we depend on nature and how nature depends on us. How we humans are gods who are able to choose to kill or let live, who can choose to kill the very nature that makes us survive.

Perhaps for people who have read the book, the movie doesn't add more than beautiful scenery and a good acting performance by Martina Gedeck and not to forget dog Luchs, but for me it's definitely worth the 8*.
  • juan-f-gonz18 August 2012
    Haunting masterpiece
    A woman, a dog, one of the most beautiful places of the world. It's hard to say more about this movie without saying too much.

It has a very well crafted, tight script, well chosen music and great cinematography, both in plain light and in deep darkness, in open land and closed quarters.

There is no waste in this film, everything fits. The acting is nuanced, controlled. The sense of menace is achieved with lighting and camera work. No false scares, no misleadings, no cheap shocks.

This tale of survival and endurance, ultimately about the meaning of humanity, is a moving masterpiece that will stay with me a long time.
  • Jerghal12 November 2013
    Feels like a good book
    While browsing on IMDb for interesting scifi flicks to watch I stumbled upon this Austrian science fiction film. A scifi concept movie I should say: there are no lasers or spaceships or any other hi-tech stuff to be seen. A woman (her name is never mentioned) goes on weekend in a mountain cabin with and elderly couple. The couple leaves to take a walk but never returns. Reason: the Wall or 'Die Wand', an energy forcefield which keeps everything from going out or coming in. This leaves this woman completely cut off from civilization, society and basically everything she knows and loved. Obviously this is what this film is about. It's not about explaining why this wall is there or who built it or for what reason. It's about the mental, emotional and ethical problems that arise when there is no more society to live, work and function in. This film was apparently based on a successful 1963 Austrian novel. The whole film is told via the voice-over of the woman (she never has any direct dialogue) and all the acting is delivered through expressions or actions. This was smart on the part of the filmmakers coz it works well and it feels a lot like a book. Although the film lasts only 103 mins it does have a slow pace, but like a book you have to take time to see it at the pace it's intended to. Recommended!
  • MtnShelby21 March 2014
    Worth Watching
    This film will not appeal to everyone, but it certainly appealed to me. I'm a big fan of films and books depicting people in isolated, alienated circumstances, whether physically alone or within the boundaries of society. The Wall effectively portrays this unnamed woman's solitary confinement behind an invisible wall, while the world outside has stopped functioning as she knew it (the apocalyptic reason is never brought to light and is really not necessary, and the couple at the cabin is an effective symbol of the frozen state of time and circumstance). The woman develops a tender-hearted relationship with the animals she must nurture and care for as she learns to care for herself and survive. Certainly the viewer (like the reader) can draw many conclusions about the nature of solitude, isolation, alienation, and human psychology. The film invites that kind of thinking, if not open dialog. The woman experiences a wide range of emotion, desperation, yes, but also solace and even joy in her steadfast self reliance and the beauty of the world to which she is given access (scenes of the night sky are particularly moving). The outlook is ultimately a bleak one, though, and expect no clear resolution. This ambiguity may be off-putting to viewers who would prefer the woman find a way out, encounter a rescuer, or at least discover a partner in her exile (which makes one of the events in the film all the more horrific).

If for no other reason, watch the film for the fine acting, exquisite scenery, and dramatic depiction of nature. I have not yet read the book on which the film is based, but am looking forward to doing so. I congratulate the filmmakers for bringing this story to a wider audience.
  • pia-padmos12 July 2013
    of a horrible beauty
    After being kept in suspense for two hours, the movie leaves me behind in despair. What would happen to the woman,now she has written her last notes?...

One of the most thrilling movies I have ever seen and (besides) of an outstanding beauty! Fully isolated from mankind by an invisible wall and being thrown on her own resources, the woman find an inner strength to survive and to take care of her "companions" the animals. After a hard struggle the woman find herself united with everything in life(one with the animals, one with nature). I recognize "die Wand" in our own lives, the restrictions we have to deal with, the loneliness. This movie shows that and more! A brilliant role of Martina Gedeck (we know her from "The lives of the others"). "Die Wand" is a masterpiece.
  • Nathaniel Russell9 January 2014
    Pay attention to the symbolism!
    Not to be confused with the Pink Floyd film, the Wall is a poetic and beautifully shot film about isolation and nature. The basic premise is that a woman suddenly discovers that she is surrounded by an invisible wall. The film shows how the woman deals with her situation through a diary that she keeps, documenting the events of this unfortunate event.

It is part survival film and part existential allegory with a dash of psychological horror.

The film does have a slow pace that would probably be a bore for the masses, but I enjoyed its meditative pace that allows you to feel the gravity of the situation at hand and marvel at the beauty of nature (which is also a heavy theme in this film).

10/10 for originality and beauty
  • phansen7011 January 2014
    It did not explain the obvious, but it explained more.
    This is a film that has left such an impression on me that I was very curious what other viewers interpretations of it were. I felt the beauty and despair of loneliness. The connection humans can have with nature and above all... animals, our need for them not only to fill our void socially and emotionally, but as creatures to sustain our life in all ways. Even if to give us a purpose.

The irony that she was there on a hunting trip with friend that she obviously was not partaking in, but had probably not thought much about . I appreciated that she really understood that hunting should only be for food and could not understand how any being could take pleasure out of death of an animal.

The vivid beauty of Austria was captivating. This is a beautiful film that I will never quite forget. It has reminded me of how strong humans can be when they have to be to survive, how fragile we are, and how our brains have the capability to adapt to situations that are unexplainable when all feels hopeless.
  • Seemp deHond6 February 2014
    Blowing away good!
    The protagonist finds herself in an unexplained silent disaster and in complete isolation which immediately intrigues. Particularly since it plays in the right-there. There is no reminiscing about the past, her background, people she knows.

Although she makes some effort to find out more about this invisible wall the story zeros in on her sole surviving and loneliness. I was completely sucked in to the narration, the beautiful scenery and the phenomenal acting.

The performance is stunning and breathtakingly intense. This one I have to see a few more times just to get the complete gist of it. Beautiful! I wonder though if there is any significance to the radio channel playing in the beginning, the language is undetectable. Maybe it was done to intensify the sense of alienation.
  • doug_park200129 December 2013
    "Following invisible trails"
    THE WALL is an interesting--though people who want a really tangible storyline and/or fast action and suspense might choose the word "boring"--little film.

How to describe it? Quiet, somber, original, going deep without trying too hard. Fantastic in the most literal sense. Well-acted and well-filmed: The Austrian Alpine scenery, perhaps the single best thing about THE WALL, is just spectacular. Still, there are a number of plot-holes and incomplete threads, things that don't add up and are not apparently supposed to--"Kafkaesque" is another word that kept running through my mind as I watched.

Though it's nothing great, I'm happy to have seen THE WALL and, most of all, am eager to read the original novel by Marlen Haushofer, which, even if it doesn't make completely logical sense, based on the reviews, apparently has more sense of completion.
  • dholliday21 March 2015
    A lesson in landscape cinematography, if little else
    My first instinct after Die Wand had finished was to dismiss it as self-indulgent rubbish and give it a 3/10, whereas halfway through I was nicely into it where it probably deserved a 7. So halfway-house it is then.

What went wrong? After the mysterious setup of the invisible wall, and two excellent early scenes involving frozen neighbours and a car, the story winds down into solipsistic musing about the oneness of nature, which can be quite interesting. A monologue describing how the forest's thoughts are becoming one with her own was profound, putting into words something some of us may have felt from time to time.

Near the end there is a disappointing dramatic incident which feels contrived, and even then the story syncs back into its stoic pace: ultimately leaving us entirely underwhelmed. It must also be said that we (watching together with my partner) needed 3 evenings to get through the whole film, having had to break it up into three shorter parts as we always fell sleepy.

Regarding characterisation, it's typical of modern melancholic German drama: stark, sparse, stoic and frankly too monotone for the viewer to achieve much sentimental connection.

Recommended if:

• you appreciate landscape cinematography filmed in the still-picture style. Almost every picture is a keeper.

• you are interested in an oblique story about a woman's necessary connection with animals and nature, away from everything else.

• you enjoy a really slow pace, with many long scenes where literally nothing happens other than inviting the viewer to soak up the atmosphere.

• you prefer to objectively identify a film's strengths rather than subjectively enjoy the ride.

• you have trouble getting to sleep.

Not recommended if:

• you're tired of bland characterisation and dull pacing in German film.

• you're expecting a sci-fi/supernatural mystery.

• you like some kind of real-world explanation.

• you prefer the camera work to offer more variety than the still-picture style.

• you don't enjoy encrypting metaphor.
  • tbk8326 October 2012
    Show, don't tell!
    Aside from an interesting but ultimately wasted premise, this film consists of mainly three things: Beautiful landscapes, some nice classical music, and relentless, never-ending, annoying narration.

I wouldn't really have *liked* the movie without the narration, as think the story is pretentious nonsense, but i could have enjoyed it at least on a purely aesthetical level. However, as it is now, almost every minute is ruined by the female narrator telling us what we see, what we could see but are told instead, or musings we (or at least me) really didn't need to hear.

I don't care that it's based on a book, I haven't read it, and I certainly have no wish to do so after watching this. Movies are movies, not audio-books with pictures. I can't fathom who still thinks narrations, or text-screens, are a good way to tell a story in a predominantly visual medium. Either it was executive meddling, or someone was just too much in love with the book.

Also, the movie is way too long for the amount of story it's telling, we never find out anything about the characters life before the movie, and the end is (predictably) not very satisfying.
  • Dhyana D26 January 2015
    If you like deep movies, this is one! I totally recommend it!
    This movie is so deep that it will make you ponder on how we live today, in the big cities, disconnected from nature and our real nature.

Here are some ideas from the movie:

1. We only stay with ourselves and look inside when life forces us to do so.

2. Being alone is not loneliness. Loneliness is a state of mind. Being alone is taking time to know yourself and to find company in everything around.

3. Nature is the greatest teacher and healer.

4. Everything we need we can provide for ourselves.

5. Inside everyone of us there's a strong being.

6. Animals are a faithful and loving company.

7. A quiet mind is the first step to ourselves.
  • samkan31 December 2013
    Stop here and read no further if you want to enjoy this film as much as I did. For the uninitiated, this is not a science fiction film. Nor is it fantasy. There is neither plot nor resolution. I want to believe that I was wise and patient enough to enjoy a film like this when I was younger but I have my doubts. The only possible flaw in the filmmaking was to give too much attention to the "wall" in the first third of the film; i.e., almost to the extent that science fiction or fantasy was being introduced. Whatever shortcoming such might create is certainly overcome by the virtues that follow. I'm not profound or literate enough to describe this film without showing my own shortcomings, although allow me to suggest that THE WALL is about being alive while sublimating the nonessential facets of life. If even this sounds pretentious, I apologize. Just watch the movie.
  • Venkatesh Panchapakesan24 January 2014
    Brilliant and Terrible at the same time
    I have not read the book nor read about the movie before watching it.

Almost everything about this movie is brilliant - location story cinematography acting editing - should have belonged in my top list of favorites. It is not. Even with the thematic similarities with Cast Away (7.7), Life of Pi (8.1) and elements from The Mist (7.2 - looking inwards at the face of a larger unknown), this premise and the story works beautifully. Stunning visual compositions and the soulful performance absolutely stand out.

What positively do not work are the monologues and the music. 'The wind was howling and the house was creaking' is something that needs to be written in a book – to say the same thing in the movie is an annoying intrusion while the audience is riveted with the visuals, sound and performance. There is at least 50% excessive pointless monologue in the movie – anybody heard of the use of silence? The movie is meant to be philosophical and inward looking. Lingering beautiful shots will be totally understood by the audience who are willing to invest in a movie like this. Why impose a monologue when it is only going to kill the impact of the moment? See Cast Away for comparison – for almost one hour in the movie there is no music no monologues – just the background sounds.

The "music" is unsuitable and almost completely not required. It is disappointing that the director who could write such screenplay, extract such magnificent visuals and riveting performance has no taste in music.

Perhaps with 15 less minutes and 50% less monologues, it could have made it to top ranks instead of the 6.7 it currently is.
  • suite924 January 2014
    Beautiful to watch, sad, and thought-provoking.
    The protagonist awakes one day in a hunting lodge. Her husband and a friend had left to run errands in town; she was alone in the lodge. When she walks to town, she finds an invisible wall keeping her from progressing. As time passes by, she finds there is no escape at all.

During the next two years, she learns to feed herself in a sustainable way. There is a cow in the region she can reach; she grows and harvests hay for the cow in return for milk. She cultivates potatoes and some other roots, and collects berries and mushrooms. She hunts for the occasional deer, and learns to shoot a rifle quickly and accurately.

Her other companions are her dog, Lynx, a pregnant cat who scrounges off her, and a white crow that is outcast by the black crows.

We follow her narration of events, which mirrors her writing on the paper she happened to have at hand. There are ups and downs, including the loss of Lynx and the cow's baby bull, both killed by a murderous poacher who is the only other human she was able to interact with.

The film, which consists of visuals that accompany the woman's narration as she comes to adapt to her unexpectedly changed environment, comes to an end when she runs out of paper.

Cinematography: 10/10 Sharp, clear, well-focused and framed. The landscape in Austria was lovely.

Sound: 10/10 The vast majority of the sound is voice-over narration. There is good incidental sound for: the wind in the trees, pouring rain, crunchy snow, the sound of a rifle shot, the footfalls of the dog, and the like.

Acting: 8/10 There is one actor, Martina Gedeck. We see some body English, but otherwise, there is only off-screen narration.

Screenplay: 7/10 Moves along well in most places; drags in others. As an existential piece, it is pretty good; for other purposes, not so much.
  • Leofwine_draca9 March 2015
    Slow and disappointing
    The premise behind THE WALL, a German art-house movie, is a familiar one: an invisible barrier suddenly appears, trapping a woman (and her dog) in a rural valley, where she must learn to fend for herself against the elements and the dangers her new-found situation brings. This idea is nothing new, having been explored - at length - in Stephen King's UNDER THE DOME, and I actually explored it myself in a high school horror story I wrote back in the 1990s.

Unfortunately the execution of THE WALL turns out to be lacking, failing to effectively exploit the narrative scenarios that such a barrier would give rise to. Don't get me wrong, there are some chilling and effective scenes here, but 90% of the film seems to consist of the protagonist moping around and feeling sorry for herself.

A ponderous, often monotonous, narration does little to help things. You can't fault the acting here, and the cinematography is the best thing in it, really bringing out the isolation of the rural valley setting. But the character is uninteresting and the bizarre time frame, which jumps all over the place as the film progresses, is just confusing. Not so much I AM LEGEND as I AM DULL AND NOT AS GOOD AS I THINK I AM.
  • Horst in Translation ( April 2015
    Martina Gedeck vs. Solitude
    "Die Wand" or "The Wall" was Austria's foreign language submission to the Academy Awards the year after "Amour" took home the big prize. This one failed in making the list, but it is nonetheless an excellent movie. I guess it did not really do well with awards bodies as even with the Austrain film Awards it did not score a single win when Ulrich Seidl's newest work dominated the categories. The movie is written and directed by Julian Pölsler based on Marlen Haushofer 1963 novel. The film runs for roughly 100 minutes and basically we only hear Gedeck narrate and see what she is narrating in these scenes. There are a handful more actors in this film, but all only very briefly while Gedeck (still very stunning at 50) is in it from start to finish. Her narration is actually based on diary entries. She is already further in the future than what she tells us about. She knows things we do not know. The plot is as simple as it is effective. A woman wants to spend some quiet time in the mountains, but she quickly realizes that there is an invisible wall there holding her prisoner. She can see other people through it, but they are not moving. Are they dead? Is she dead? Is she hallucinating or suffering from a psychological illness? What happened? One of the film's biggest strengths is that there is no solution in the end, so feel free to speculate and discuss all the way. It reminded me a bit of Jürgen Domian's book "The day the sun disappeared".

12 minutes into the movie, the first crucial thing happens when her dog runs into the invisible wall. Yes, she has a dog, also a cow and a cat and also some young animals freshly born into this devastating scenario. They keep her company and possibly also keep her from going insane. Dog in a drama movie usually not a good prospect for the dog. Same here. The scene when she meets the man near the end is a very pivotal one. Pay attention to how she completely neglects approaching him in order to find a solution to her/their imprisonment. She did not think about it one second. All she thinks about is revenge for what he did to her companions. Listen closely to what she says about she got rid of his corpse compared to how she got rid of her dog. The tragedy is also referred to earlier in the film when she mentions her the death of her cat the first time that she was facing loss. Or how she talked about the death of her dog long before it happened in the film. Apart from that, what makes her interesting is also that we do not find out about who she was before coming to the mountainside. Also the audio is excellently done. There's is silence for most of the film and I really liked the contrast between the forced happy music Gedeck's character forces herself to listen to in the car and the general atmosphere.

This is the kind of film which is always worth a watch, but much more effective on the big screen, so be grateful if you have a home cinema or managed to watch this at your local theater. All in all, it is a dramatic tale on isolation, but there are some horror elements too, like her nightmare. It's one of the most atmospheric and metaphorical (white crow) films I have seen lately and is highlighted by Gedeck's outstanding lead performance. And last but not least, it has an excellent ending as the movie ends when she has no sheets of paper anymore and so is forced to stop with her diary entries. Highly recommended.
  • bregund15 January 2014
    One and a half hour monologue
    I'm cool with the whole philosophical existentialism German slant, but I don't like films that teach me things I already know. I watch movies to be entertained and enlightened, people seem to be wetting themselves over this film as though it isn't preachy and repetitive. This kind of art house metaphorical film might have been groundbreaking in the 1960s, but these days it just seems tepid and derivative. Nicholas Roeg's Walkabout is an example of how this genre works really well; The Wall and Solaris (1972) are examples of how this genre can come across as ineffectual posturing.

I suppose there are people out there who think it's brilliant to watch a woman gather hay from a meadow for fifteen minutes or sit at her desk for long periods of time staring off into space, well my hat is off to you if you truly believe these sequences are the work of pure genius. I just see a bunch of stuff that belongs on the cutting room floor.
  • Gambitt4 March 2014
    This contains a *spoiler* but I think you should read it anyway.

In The Wall, a woman finds herself stuck and isolated in a remote part of the Austrian mountainside while vacationing with friends. Her captor is the wall-- literally an invisible wall that surrounds her. Now here's the spoiler: the movie never explains what the wall is exactly.

I feel like it's important to get that out of the way, because the title and the description on Netflix may lead many to believe that this is a sci-fi exploration of how this fantastical wall interacts with the world. You'll be sorely disappointed and distracted if that is that is the ride you were hoping for. The Wall, rather, focuses on the evolution of the woman as she struggles to cope with her situation.

I overall enjoyed the movie, but the stream of consciousness narrative can be hard to follow at times. The movie has rich visuals, and it's great for animal lovers, though the queasy should be warned that suffering and death are depicted as well.
  • Mort Payne27 September 2014
    Heavy-handed and cliché
    The wealth of glowing reviews for this film fooled me into thinking I'd see an innovative work of art. Several positive reviews talk about the hidden messages, the deep symbolism, or the metaphor that detractors just didn't understand. But this film's allegory is so heavy-handed and obvious, as soon as the real story begins, you'll know exactly what the director is trying to shove down your throat, and the rest of the film is little more than a series of boring reiterations of that same ridiculously obvious idea. Furthermore, the story, like its protagonist, never changes. The film could end after she first discovers the wall, because nothing of significance changes after that. Sure, she moves to a different cabin, her dog dies (apparently three different times), and she has a visitor (which offers even more of an allegorical cliché than anything that comes before it), but it's all just shades of the same grey color scheme this story is painted with. Perhaps the book is better, and perhaps if I was living in the pre-feminist, pre-deconstructionist 1960s, I might find the ideas and the story fascinating, but I've heard all of this far too many times before by now, and in much more insightful and interesting forms. The stars I give it are for the lead actor's performance (she was wonderful) and the cinematography (it was beautiful). Everything else worked against this film.
  • hou-31 March 2015
    Watchable meditation on humanity and nature, stunningly shot
    I enjoyed this movie but I am glad it ended when it did because it had exhausted its theme. It is really a reflection on how we can only regain our humanity if we get back to nature, as the protagonist does perforce because of the inexplicable appearance of the wall. It's beautifully acted, directed and filmed, with some lovely Bach - which seems to be there just to add lyricism and melancholy, but it's still welcome. Be warned - the appearance of The Wall is never explained and there is no resolution. Our heroine just decides that being now At One with nature, she may as well go on living. Lovely Salzkammergut scenery. In fact, it's really The Sound of Music but without the songs, the Nazis and the nuns. Instead of which there are a great dog, a cow and two cats, plus our heroine and a whole load of angst. Sound a bit odd? Well, the Germans and Austrians do have this big thing about nature ...

Update: I have just given the movie a second viewing and while the mystery of what is going on remains, I was even more impressed than first time around by the cinematography, which is really alpha plus. So I have upped my original 7 to 8
  • kosmasp20 August 2013
    Let's get philosophical
    I guess it is a fair assessment to call me a cynic. So it should be nor surprise that I wrote that topic line. I am aware there is a book (which is not on a shelve on my wall), that I haven't read. I can also imagine, that reading it might be more satisfying than actually seeing it. Especially considering the fact, there is a lot of voice over. Something people in film industry would call a total "no-go". But you have to break rules from time to time.

It fits the movie and the barriers are not only physical, but psychological too. And you don't have to think too much about to understand what the movie tries to tell you. You could wonder though, why there is no sign. And by that I mean an actual sign, that you can hang on "the wall". It might not have helped, especially since this is more a spiritual journey (or stay if you will), than anything else.

Performance wise there is nothing to be said, except: Great! Gedek might be one of Germanys finest.
  • atlantic-617 May 2015
    Why do something about your predicament when you can instead just be philosophical about it?
    This is the synopsis from Netflix: "Vacationing with a couple in their mountain retreat, a woman finds herself alone at the cabin one afternoon, inexplicably trapped by an invisible wall. Her isolation behind the barrier grows more surreal as hours, then days, then weeks pass." Sounds like a cool premise, right? I mean, how is she going to get out? I mean, she's going to spend most of the movie figuring out the nature of this wall and then trying to escape it, right? When she first encounters the wall, she's on a path. Next to the path is a river, where water is clearly flowing through the wall – wouldn't you, I don't know, try to swim in the water to see if you could get under the wall? Throw rocks at it to try to see how high it goes (it does seem like birds are able to cross in and out of the wall and rain, snow and wind still exist, so it's not like a dome). If you happen to see someone two years after this journey, wouldn't you maybe try to talk to him to see where he came from (even if he just killed your dog) instead of just murdering him? You and I probably would because we are not vehicles for philosophy. "The woman," however, exists solely as a vehicle for philosophy, so nothing she does makes any sense. She's too busy contemplating her aloneness than to try to do anything about it. So we, the viewers of this beautifully shot movie (it really is gorgeous!), must suffer through her loneliness with her rather than see her try to do ANYTHING about it. She never digs a hole on the border of the wall to see how deep it goes. Instead she spends 10 days waiting to be rescued and then just accepts her fate. And that happens about 10-15 minutes into the movie, so get ready to philosophize!
  • bluesshred14 January 2014
    Symbolism explained *** SPOILER WARNING ***
    Movies are art, some good & some bad. This abstract movie is bad art in my opinion & it's more like a Yoko Ono, Jackson Pollock, or poop on a canvas as opposed to a John Lennon, Salvador Dalí, or art done with some skill. To the average person this movie is just a lame medium-high budget movie with no beginning or end. The smug artsy-fartsy crowd like this movie because it strokes the ego to know it has a hidden meaning, but the hidden meaning of this film does not uplift mankind like a They Live (1988). It has the same lame, apathetic, give up & go along hidden meaning of the junk film Larry Crowne (2011).

Symbolism explained: Apathetic woman doesn't want to know why she is trapped in a big bubble so she keeps the animals she finds around her in a little bubble to give her inauthentic life meaning, the end. "How you like them apples."