User Reviews (70)

• Prismark104 December 2016
    Inspired by Brit urban dramas such as Kidulthood, singer-songwriter Ben Drew developed this film after the 2011 summer riots in Britain as a response to David Cameron's Broken Britain.

Ill Manors is a chaotic film set in an area of inner London as we criss cross the lives of various drug dealers, street kids, crack addicted prostitutes, sex gangs with their imported sex slaves.

With a soundtrack consisting of urban rap and grime which gives the background of the characters and their little tales as well as ageing punk poet John Cooper Clarke popping up as a chorus.

There is the story of the street kid teen Jake who uses his friend's £20 to buy drugs and is ripped off and then has to beat up the friend he took the money from to get respect. After that initiation he beats up more people, gets to have sex, gains what he thinks is respect and is used to kill someone, betrayed and later winds up dead himself. As the accompanying song proclaims, he was only a kid.

The main part of the story is Aaron (Riz Ahmed) who is stuck working with childhood friend and drug dealer Ed (Ed Skrein) who both grew up in the same children homes. Both are hustlers, there is a sleazy sequence as Ed forces a crack addicted prostitute to have sex with a series of sleazy kebab shop owners in order to pay off her debts.

There is a redemption of sorts as Aaron finds a baby on a train as his mother is forced to flee a gang of sex traffickers, Ed sees this as an opportunity to sell the baby to a loving family, the alternative is growing up in a home like he did with no future. In a fire Ed rescues the baby and Aaron manages to reunite the baby with the mother.

The film is energetic, frightening, sordid and perversely has its own conservative streak. It is all about the men, their pride, fear and respect and women treated like chattel.

The movie is also derivative, a kind of movie I have seen before such as the ones written by actor-writer Noel Clarke and we end up seeing a newer stereotypical London, the one depicted in morose urban street dramas with tower blocks and gangs running around.
  • That powerful piece of work astonished me. A real hit in the face. More a social drama, bloody, brutal at the most, more than a thriller - which is absolutely not - or a common crime flick. Anyway nothing to do with the other UK crime films, craps, which are directly released in DVD, craps that try to look like Tarantino or Guy Ritchie's movies. The guy who made this gave all his guts, his wrath, his pain, his soul, his blood. Poignant scenes, moving sequences, British are really the masters in the social field: see Ken Loach.
    I wasn't looking forward to this at all. It looked like it was some pop star who had just fallen in the right place, and wanted to cash in on his fame.

But, I never really knew who 'Plan B' was really, apart from some dodgy pop songs.

How wrong I am though, and it a lot for me to admit i'm wrong. Ill Manors is easily one of the most disturbing 'urban' movies I have seen in a while. heavily influenced by the two Clarkes Noel and Alan, Drew has given us a film that oozes propaganda and pleas.

The film interlinks three stories, just Like Pulp Fiction, and the narrative is the fantastic haunting soundtrack.

Ahmed is as good as he always is, but is let down by some of the cast, who are just poor in their roles. These people stay in character all through the film, whereas in real life, is just a facade for the street.

The imagery is stark, especially in the baby rescue scene, and it really does deliver it's message, very bluntly.

On a 100k budget, Drew has made a very professional looking movie, and I look forward to seeing what he has to give us next.
  • STAR RATING: ***** Saturday Night **** Friday Night *** Friday Morning ** Sunday Night * Monday Morning

The directorial debut of hot new hip hop/acting star Ben Drew centres on a series of interwoven stories, of various different characters caught up in a grimy underworld centred around a South London housing estate, where guns, drugs and prostitution are the order of the day. The trouble is, none of these stories are linked together, and without a solid story line, the narrative flow is inevitably a bit messy.

I'd listened to the Ill Manors album before I saw the film, and was aware the tracks were basically the soundtrack to it, with each song provided to the different segments introducing each story. They on their own were undeniably raw and hard hitting, and demonstrated why Drew (in his Plan B mode) emerged as such a major hip hop talent. Somehow, rather than enhance it, they seem to have sucked in all the unflinching power of Drew's creative banks, and left a film that fails to generate any dramatic impact or tension, and feels like a damp squib compared to what was promised. I'd hazard a guess most of the cast were probably first time actors, or maybe even just real life council estate kids Drew knew who he just hired for authenticity, and it shows in their performances, a few of which are just really unconvincing and flat. Somehow, the whole thing ends up dragging on for nearly two hours, by which time self indulgence has just gone right out the window.

Drew has proved himself a really amateurish director, with an equally amateurish cast and crew, and produced a film that doesn't manage to cast a dramatic light on a really seedy and depressing section of society, however convinced it seems that it has. **
  • Ill Manors is a realistic drama with intermittent blasting rap music in between the various drug dealing, pimping, hooking and other bad behavior over the course of two hours. It starts off with apparently disconnected segments with hustlers of every sort involved in illegal activities. The high point is when a prostitute leaves her newborn baby on a train, where the lead pusher, Aaron(Riz Ahmed) ends up showing some real empathy for a change when he takes the little tyke home and searches for the mother, while his cohorts see the situation as an opportunity to make some quick easy money. The final fifteen minutes make the wild ride well worth it in the end. Ahmed is a star in the making, and the entire cast is absolutely perfect. Life is complicated, and Ill Manors portrays it with an unforgiving eye.
  • Good sound tracks and all. great cast. can be gritty and intense. wow. awesome. good luck to accomplish that feat again mr Plan B
  • From the mind of the bloke otherwise known as Plan B comes this sprawling saga about the seediest bunch of misanthropes you would never wish to know, and a London you won't find on the tourist map full of druggies, human trafficking and kebab shops. It's not a pretty sight, and Mr Drew deserves credit for not shying away from the tiniest detail in his quest to seek out the sick underbelly of our Capital City. He is also responsible for turning it into somewhat of a gangsta-type musical, with rap songs by him along the way which are efficient at advancing the plot, but I don't think would be worth a relisten on the soundtrack CD.

The formula of following a few characters at once until their fates collide has been done since time immemorial, or at least Quentin Tarantino. Here, we get the standard flashbacks that introduce us to the main people, and after that the cocktail of sex, bad language and babynapping(!) begins. It's by no means perfect, with a bit of overacting going on and in parts being either OTT or simply a bit dull. But it's made in an admirable rambunctious style, and you get an inkling that Plan B really does care about the social conscience of Great Britain (Not so great these days, though)
  • I must admit that 45 minutes in I wanted to switch this off. It was almost unbearably depressing and grim, however I am glad I stuck with it through to the end.

I don't know if this depicts normal life in inner city London or not but from news reports I wouldn't imagine it was million miles away. The film paints a bleak picture of people stuck in an almost lose lose situation although of course ultimately you shape your own destiny in life.

For a directorial debut this is amazingly assured. I have not a fan of Plan B as it's not really my music taste but he is obviously a hugely talented guy. The film follows various people and their stories throughout the film and these gradually intertwine. The fact that all the stories are interesting as well is also impressive as you rarely get this in movies that mingle multiple stories.

The film boasts a largely unknown cast which makes the almost uniformly excellent performances all the more staggering. There is little of the usual cockney wide boy caricature to be seen here. I felt the performances of Riz Ahmed and Anouska Mond were particularly good.

The film in many ways reminded me of Trainspotting but with an even darker edge and the film is almost on a par with that one.

This is a brutal and tough film to watch but one which really pays off with a great ending. This by word of mouth will end up being a cult classic of that i'm pretty sure.
  • so what is the purpose to make a movie about the low lives, the druggies, the dealers, the morons, the people living on the edge of the society, those who depending drugs, those who starting their day and ending of day by snorting up cocaine to cheer up, the wake up, to black out, to escape, to numb their senses, to become walking dead or walking stiff? why you'd think this going-nowhere, telling nothing but nothing so-called film, tagging it "deep"? are you serious or, are you need to suck up white powder to have some common sense? what's the purpose of making this empty and hollow clueless film? i have become more depressed than ever when i watched this horrible human garbage film and amazed to see how the so-called "great Britain" became the dumpster of human wastes. there's nothing to watch along and then praised it by saying: "great!" to distinguish you from other normal persons with normal and healthy lives. this is a horrible film wasted a lot of money even it boasted itself with a very low budget. why people would like to know such human garbage is beyond me. i regret to stumble on this junk food like crappy film. the more i watched it, the more i felt depressed. who cares about the junkies?
  • This was a very deep film, a great story, very real, very true to life, very dark, very intense. This is about the life of small time London drug dealers and the craziness that surrounds their lives, and the desperation of life in these council estates, where people would do just about anything for a buck and respect for life is at a minimum to say the least. Absolutely astonishing soundtrack. Totally appropriate for the film. The story was gripping. The film is an astonishing debut.
  • Saiph9024 March 2013
    If ever there was a compare and contrast this was it for me this weekend, on Friday night I watched this movie which was made for £100,000 and on Saturday watched the truly terrible Battleship which was made for $209,000,000. The former has sharp dialogue, really great believable acting, well paced, gritty, dark and in a lot of ways thought provoking about the dysfunction in inner cities. The latter had me wanting the aliens to win and remove Taylor Kitsh from the screen.

Go and see Ill Manor, it is how films should be made and it is made on a pittance compared to most films and shows a good script well handled and with excellent acting is better than some computer generated rubbish.
  • The debut feature from Ben Drew (better known as rapper Plan B) makes some interesting inroads as a gritty gangster film bent on uncovering the many flaws of David Cameron's broken Britain. But, at an ill-advised two-hour plus runtime and an ill-managed script that very quickly degenerates into a nonsensical shamble of f-bombs, c-bombs, 'innits' and 'bruvvas', Ill Manors looks more like an unassuming eight-year-old with a painted gold chain and counterfeit snapback: he thinks he's tough, but he's the only one.

The effort made to blend the six stories surrounding the film's doomed night crawlers – four drug dealers and a pair of prostitutes – is a respectable one. However, lost in the apparent coolness of overlapping one twisted life with another is the expectation that these stories will eventually lead to something – which they don't.

There is still some to like about Drew's ambling adventure, though. Ahmed is believable as a conflicted soul trying to help, and each character is introduced via an original rap song sung by the director. But because the basics of filmmaking deflate these otherwise creative moments, one gets the impression the whole project would've worked better as a storytelling album (a la Pink Floyd's The Wall or Kanye's College Dropout), not a feature film.

*There's nothing I love more than a bit of feedback, good or bad. So drop me a line on jnatsis@iprimus.com.au and let me know what you thought of my review. If you're looking for a writer for your movie website or other publication, I'd also love to hear from you.*
    when i first seen the trailer for ill manors i cant say i was too exited, i thought it was gonna be another kidulthood type of film, and i was very surprised at what i got, the movie is the British equivalent of 'mean streets'. a no holds barred look at lower end of the underworld, it's grimy, depressing, funny and shocking all in equal measure. the cast in this movie is brilliant, and are all convincing as some tough guys you wouldn't want to mess with, the movie is at times violent, but in a more realistic way, than i suppose the ott violence of 'rise of the footsoldier' or 'outlaw', there are some quite shocking moments, and the movie is quite ambitious and it feels like a mini epic, much like 'rise of the footsoldier', this movie is not as good or well made as that movie, but its miles above most movies of it's type, and is a great British gangster movie, that looks at the dirtier side most movies don't, not all gangsters are rich with nice cars, some are merely gangsters because its an easier way of life. the movie is directed by rapper plan b, and he clearly knows his subject matter well, as there is an undeniable realism to the movie, and he incorporates his music into the film well, yet never feels like a vanity project, it is a very well made and gritty crime drama, and i recommend
  • I thought this was a great film. It is structured in a way that although each story is separate, they intersect i ways that mean you see some of the same scenes from a different perspective, and also gain more information about what is going on. The characters are reasonably well rounded, with some of their background being told by rap songs, which fits well with the urban mood of the film. The story poses some interesting moral dilemmas, in which the solutions are rarely "good" but at least in some instances appear to be motivated by doing the right thing, even if they don't always achieve that. The setting is grim, unpleasant and in many ways, lacking any hope, but there are glimpses of humanity within it. I found this film gripping, and intend to watch it again soon.
  • nalwro11 September 2020
    For gangsta wannabe kids. and comparing it to La Haine only shows how much dumber ppl are now
    The first half of the film is like kidulthood focusing on a young black boy getting in with a gang, 2 young girls being lured into doing drugs and a prostitute with her pimp. The second part is when the film goes seriously down hill. It's about another prostitute who's an illegal immigrant running away from her pimp and abandoning her baby on a train. It then gets sold. Then she changes her mind and tries to get it back. This was boring as f'ck and I don't know how that plot had anything to do with the nature of the film. I think this seriously hurt the film which is a shame because plan b obviously knows how to do grim. I would have preferred it to only be about the British born underclass. One scene there's a fire and a baby is thrown from the window and caught, I felt like I was watching the Simpsons.
    The film is a rap musical about the lives of drug dealers and prostitutes on a London housing estate (i.e. social housing). It is the film debut of Ben Drew aka Plan B as a director and it is a tour de force. This film has one important message relayed over and over by images and lyrics: Look what happens to children when they are abandoned, neglected or abused by their parents and adults. It is such an important message and one that society pays lip service to without reflecting upon what it means. Even in an age well versed in psychology popular thinking undermines and denies the significance of events in very early childhood. Drew makes sure that his audience 'gets' this message. Not subtle but very gritty.

The plot involves a set of characters with intertwined fates. We are introduced to three drug dealers: Chris (Lee Allan) a solitary operator and one of the 'Mr Bigs' on the estate, or 'manor', and Aaron (Riz Ahmed) and Ed (Ed Skrein) childhood friends from the same children's home, who are minor players and petty criminals. We are introduced to two prostitutes also: Michelle (Anouska Mond) another solitary operator routinely abused by all on the estate and Katya (Natalie Press) a woman from east Europe who has escaped the human traffickers that brought her to the UK. We learn through lyrics and flashback images the childhoods these characters have survived and the events that lead to their present predicaments. The plot unfolds cleverly bringing all together in a confrontation that proves fatal for one of them.

Ben Drew intends that we understand what made the characters the people they are, perhaps even empathise with them, but not sympathise as such or feel sentimentality for them. This is one of the film's strengths. So Chris is presented as an antisocial person with no care or loyalty to anyone and Ed is a thug who mistreats Michelle just because he can.

The acting is excellent from the cast, including the many minor roles. The soundtrack is fantastic and I bought the CD as I loved the music so much. The film ends with the searing track Falling Down that knots the intestines but my favourite to listen to as a stand along song is Drug Dealer (the story of Chris's life). Drew has used some young rap artists/singers guests on some of the tracks.

The finale is shocking and sad in equal measures but the ending offers hope as three of the characters seem to have enough of an awakening to turn their lives around. Fittingly this occurs because of the plight of Katya's baby, underlining the film's focus upon young children and their need for adults to help them grow into healthy adults that can contribute to society in positive ways.

My only reservation regarding the film is that if Ben Drew decides to make another film I'm not sure he has anywhere to go in bettering his debut.
  • lurpak12 October 2012
    It has been a while since I have been spirited to write a positive review on a film, I'm always drawn though to gritty British street drama by the likes of Shane Meadows(This is England, Dead Man's Shoes) and Guy Richie, and now I have Ben Drew to look out for. The film borrows the integrating of separate lives genre such as used in Magnolia and Lock Stock with a Rap music throughout, now had I have know that it used rap music in that way I probably would have avoided it like the plague as rap music is just tedious to me under normal circumstances, but the lyrics which add narrative to the story and backgrounds of the characters is superbly done and despite my prejudice on rap music I have to hold my hands up and say "I have been educated" other music is well chosen and builds nicely to the feel at the time of use in the playout. All acting is good especially so from the lead characters, Chris, Aaron, Ed played by Lee Allen, Riz Ahmed & Ed Skien Respectively. I am shocked however to find according to IMDb that this is Lee Allen's only production...Wow! impressive I'm sure he's going to become one of Britain's household names. If you like this sort of British drama, go see, you will not be disappointed and well done to all concerned.
  • This is a very hard film to review… And as a matter of fact it was a very hard film to watch too. More than once I found myself having to look away from the screen, just to be able to catch up with my breath and I had to remind myself "It's only a movie… It's only a movie"… Or is it? Sure one would want to give the film some credit for attempting to talk about some really serious issues in a stark and crude realistic way. However I find myself wondering: just because a movie touches important issues and goes to places where many don't even dare looking, does that make it a good film? Ill Manors (still trying to work the meaning of the actual title) is clearly a film made by a first time director: it's full of energy and ideas. It's inspirational too… But unfortunately some of the inexperience shows up on the screen too. It's almost as if director Ben Drew didn't feel confident enough of his own material and felt he had to pepper the film (unevenly, I may add) with a series of flashy visual devices: some of them work, but then, once the story takes over, the film almost forgets to keep up with them. It makes me wonder if Ill Manors could have been a much more powerful film, if the director had actually restrained some of that rather showy visual style and non-linear editing and had just concentrated more of the story. I'm not against time-laps or montage sequences edited to rap music (some of which were actually beautifully done), but I think once you establish a style, you should stick with it. In Ill Manors everything felt rather random and arbitrary: a hotchpotch of visual ideas and devices, borrowed from many other films before (Pulp Fiction and Trainspotting, just to mention the most obvious ones), but all without any real reason. And the proof is in the pudding: the strongest and most interesting bits in the film are also the plainest and the ones where the director focused just on his actors (or actually non-actors apparently) to tell the story of a broken society alive and well right in the heart of London. Despite the claims of realism, this bleak vision of Britain feels a bit contrived in places: lines like "Can I try some crack?" the endless prostitution scenes and the final sequence in particular when a fire takes place in a pub, all feel a bit heavy-handed and wildly exaggerated. Also most of the characters are a little bit too stereotypical and the film seems to rely more on the charisma of our main lead, Riz Ahmed (from Four Lions), for the audience to sympathise with, instead of giving him a full fleshed-out and a much more believable persona. In the end the amount of horror and depressing bleakness is just too much and what was already a fairly long film, with too many subplots, eventually just imploded. An exhausted audience during my screening even burst into laughing during the final climax (yes, it might have been a hysterical laugh, but still a laugh… and that's just the wrong reaction to have for such film!). The points Ill Manorswants to make are made quite earlier on and after a while it all becomes just too repetitious, over the top and indulgent. All this makes it loose its edge and diminishes its important message. It is a brave film and certainly must be commended for trying: there are some very intense and good moments, which I am really praising, however, even though I might talk to people about Ill Manors, I don't think I'll ever recommend anyone to watch it (aside for our prime ministers and politicians). 6.5/10 MovieGeekBlog
  • I've been coming to the TIFF for fifteen straight years, and all I can say is "wow!" If you've seen the trailers at IMDb and YouTube and been impressed, rest assured that the movie more than delivers on what they promise.

The movie was made on a shoestring, and is quite possibly the greatest shoestring movie ever … I sure can't think of any other low budget film that can touch this. If I can luck out on a rush ticket Saturday, it will be the first time I've ever seen a movie TWICE at the festival, (I have a feeling that this film will take time to reach the American market – perhaps being toned down in the process -- and I've GOT to see it again.)

This is certainly a helluva directing debut for musician Ben Drew (a.k.a. Plan B) who also wrote the pulsating soundtrack. I've never seen music more effectively tied to visuals than here, whether they're real time, time lapse, or stop action. Especially effective are transitional passages staged as rap music videos.

There's plenty of great acting too, thanks to a large talented ensemble cast of relative unknowns. Especially impressive Is Riz Ahmed as the character who bridges several interconnected stories about life on the mean streets of East London over a several day period. And in a knockout debut, young Ryan De La Cruz is incredible as a naïve 13-year-old out to buy some weed who gets transformed into a killer in a very believable way.

The realism is astounding. I've seen movies like ARGO and END OF WATCH at the fest, and while they were certainly well-made, they seem overly stagey in comparison (although, to be fair, just about ALL movies do). I voted this for best picture on my way out – I know that nothing I'm going to be seeing from this point on is going to top this.

Not for the genteel, faint-of-heart, or British accent-averse, but if you're none of the above, prepare yourself for a real treat. Never a dull moment! Feel free to base your expectations on the available trailers and videos – they don't deceive in the slightest.
  • I don't like to write many reviews, but when I discover a movie that I think it is underrated, it makes sense to write about it:)

Although there are many characters, you do not get to know very well any of them and at the same they all have something in common: a horror east-London story-line that tangles them.

I guess the movie seems very rough and tough from many points of view, specially to someone who has not been in that part of London, nor has seen anything similar. To all the other ones, this seems to be just another slice of live that brings up sometimes the worst and best of people.

There is a positive message in the end, but boy..you have to through hell and back before you get there!

I am having hard time recommending the movie, although from technical point of view it was almost without flaw, mainly because the abuse of using too many sad stories at the same time. Limiting the number of main characters to only 2-3 would've had the same effect.

Anyway, kudos to the director for a well done movie, albeit I will never want to watch it again...
  • Aaron bed-sits alone. Dressed in "street uniform" baseball cap, trainers and black outfit with a "Hoodie" top, he smokes a roll-up. Un-blinking,he watches social commentary on TV. A range of "street people" express their views on "The social problem".

As a 'youth worker' states emphatically "It is a definite bonus to have a strong family background ...", Aaron looks devastated and gulps. We are left in no doubt, he is from a broken home, he's been in care and though he is alert and aspirational, he's in a dark place right now.

The voice of the Writer-Director (Ben Drew), narrates; warning us to put our seat-belts on. His words become a Rap Poem, blending smoothly into his performance of "I Am the Narrator". A drum, snare, and bass track with a hook line that samples "Aquarium" from The Carnival of the Animals by Camille Saint-Saëns; placing your nerves firmly on edge with it's intensity and eeriness.

Getting straight down to business, this opener plays to scenes of full-on drug dealing and drug using activities, with panoramic vulture's eye views of the urban underworld, all punters, prostitutes, and gangsters.

Aaron is dealing outside a pub with his friend Ed, who serves a punter some drugs. As soon as his client's out of earshot, Ed starts to insult him in a way that immediately confirms his 'scumbag' credentials. What is Aaron doing with this idiot? In hopeless cycles of fear, flight, and attack; the characters connect and collectively manifest the poisonous web that is their ghetto-hood.

With it's killer soundtrack, razor-blade-sharp eye for plot-detail, visual gags, and a speed-dial connection to " Hood-life circa 2012"; watching Ill Manors is sometimes surprising, sometimes painful; but never dull.

On this roller coaster ride of losses and gains, everyone rides and no one is clean; but the ticket to redemption can sometimes be bought for a price, paid in deeds or paid in blood.

What this movie lacks in perspective depth, it more than makes up for with a style and pace, that leave many movie releases of 2012 standing.

Contemporary Street vibes and idioms are vividly captured, and projected with an authentic immediate bleakness.

While possibly falling 'only-just' short of being a "classic"; Ben Drew's directorial film debut is an amazingly confident foray into the 'social-realism movie' arena.

His talents as an established singer songwriter serve him well, and add a refreshing twist to this well-trodden genre.

Originally written & published ... by me - Jerome Willner (2012 10 11 - 20:20Hrs)
  • Watching this on the TV totally absorbing Brilliantly filmed and gritty These are normally ott but this is so realistic,great dialogue and Cinematography Portrays up the stuggle to survive amidst all the drug related events of everyday life One of my favourites and the background score is totally raw and in sync with the films subject
  • I can only assume that people didn't like this film because it was too dark, or it simply wasn't their type of film.

If you like films like Kidulthood & Adulthood I can promise you will LOVE this.

I personally thought it was better than the above said films.

Not only was it very well produced and directed, the acting was top notch! I've never seen (or noticed) Ed Skrein in a film before, and he played his part perfectly - Totally believable, and basically a right nasty piece of work.

All the other parts were played excellently too(with maybe the exception of Kirby's character)

It had a great story that keeps you engrossed from beginning to end, it is shocking, harrowing,and some good humor was thrown in too.

After it finished, I text a handful of friends (who I knew would like it) and told them to watch it asap.

Nuff said, 10/10
    This has to be one of the most genuine and brutally honest depictions of thug culture. Never mind that everyone in this film speaks another language(well, they are in fact speaking English, however, their slang and accents are so difficult to understand they might as well be speaking a foreign language)but still, if you can brush past that, be prepared to be amazed by the enormous amount of talent on display here. The film combines multiple story lines together into the one film, and, the whole film is narrated by rap artist, Plan B, who also created the soundtrack for this.The film is very different and innovative, especially in a sub genre like the gangster one, which, in my opinion, has become tired and worn out. The acting is very naturalistic and believable, and the film has a very raw and cheap look about it, which makes the film more powerful. Be aware, though: The C word and F word are used in nearly every scene. It may seem excessive, however, I have met people that speak exactly like the characters in this film. no joke.