User Reviews (246)

WOW!!! What a delightful surprise!! Everyone in the family LOVED this movie, and yeah we enjoy this version much more than the original, and we are white (for the ones who claim that this is the black version of Annie)!! My 3yr old daughter is obsessed with it and even my husband who hates musicals really liked this one because there is a much more realistic vibe to it; the beats are groovy, the singing is impeccable and it is not accompanied by excessive dancing involving a group of 100 all with the same facial expression :) Yeap, this is not your typical musical...it is so much better!! Instead of skipping the singing moments you play them over and over again. And the kid..Annie...OH MY what a voice! I cannot believe how much emotion she puts into her songs and she is only 11!
  • mryoung-5377330 April 2015
    I don't know why some people don't like this movie! I don't think this movie is cheesy at all. I absolutely loved it! I love the modern take on it. I love the actors and actresses and all of the songs. I have watched it several times now. I love how Quvenzhané Wallis gives off the "okay, I don't care" act when things rise up against her character (Annie) in the movie. But as she walks away, you can see her true emotion of hurt or sadness show through. I think that shows what a good actress she is growing up to be. I love the modern take on the original songs as well as the new songs added. I think this is a very well made movie. I wish it had better reviews than it has been getting.
  • I was a bit skeptical after reading negative reviews of the film, but my 4 year old still insisted we go. I am ever so glad we did. In fact, we are scheduled to see the film a second time tonight with my niece.

Here is my honest review.

If you hated the original Annie or if you don't care for musicals, then this may not the movie for you. As a person who was a huge fan of the 1982 version of Annie, I was so afraid that the film would overly mimic the original. Instead, the film was not, as critics claimed, a "black rendition"; It is a 2014 remake containing a multi-racial cast, with an African American lead actress.

The 11 year old Quvenzhane Wallis was just as spunky and memorable as Aileen Quinn was when she played in the 1982 version. Cameron Diaz is not Carol Burnett, so those who compare the two are not being fair to Cameron. Instead, I was surprisingly impressed by Ms. Diaz. She embodied the original role, while making it her own.

Every actress/actor, song choice, story line, etc. gave fans of the original a taste of the old, while presenting the timeless Rags to Riches story of Annie to a new generation.

I truly enjoyed this film. I am thankful for the negative reviews, because my expectations going into the theater were so low. I wasn't the only person who enjoyed the film. The sold out theater, burst into clapping immediately after the show was over. I heard one woman say "It was like seeing a movie and being at a play at the same time". She could not have described the moment any better.

Great Movie!
    To make people forget what you're taking the place of, the most effective device is to mention that particular thing to get it… or in this case… to get her out of the way, quick.

So begins the new ANNIE inside a classroom where a redheaded girl wraps up an annoying presentation... and then it's time for the next student, also named ANNIE, played by last year's Oscar nominated Quvenzhané Wallis, who not only trumps this movie's pseudo Annie but the original, Aileen Quinn's iconic orphan, is outdone in one aspect – compared to a haves and have nots opening number inspired by The New Deal, FDR never had such posthumous promotion.

ANNIE, a MR. DEEDS style mainstream comedy with pop culture references galore, introduces each character as if they were cameos in a parody instead of a genuine remake, or in this case... altering from the 1930's into modern day... a reboot.

Wallis sleepwalks through the pains and joys of the title character, and replacing Carol Burnett as the mean orphanage… or rather… Foster Home den mother is Cameron Diaz. Almost letting her guard down right off the bat, Miss Hannigan seems more like a cranky Aunt than a villain with a hatred for little girls… Providing the orphans nothing to really fear. In fact they seem completely at home, and in control: The place ain't too shabby.

Warbucks Unnamed The real heavy is Bobby Cannavale, stepping into the Tim Curry role as a nefarious climber seeking a big raise from his boss, the new Daddy Warbucks in the form of Jamie Foxx as Stacks, a cell phone magnate running for New York City Mayor and, losing in the polls, he takes in an orphan for a needed boost.

During their pivotal field trip bonding experience, Foxx and Wallis have the awkward non-chemistry of two actors who just started rehearsing lines. Stacks isn't very uptight to begin with for his eventual heart-melting transition to matter, while Annie doesn't seem to really need anything, much less a new parent. Songs between the duo border banal and creepy. And as Rose Byrne attempts tying loose ends together, there's just not anything between anyone – even the dog seems bored.

The original hard knocking classics aside, the new tunes lend nothing to an actual story, which isn't an entertaining rags to riches coming-of-age musical but a pointless attempt to bring a famous Comic Strip/Broadway/Cinema character back to life by throwing everything into the pot, hoping something will land.
    I have no doubt that the many people rating down this movie are either racists or people who don't understand the meaning of remakes.

This film, a modern remake of the 1982 classic is rather delightful, the beginning sequence pulled me in immediately and the first classroom scene where ironically a class member with ginger hair, freckles and a red cardigan is giving a presentation before our modern Annie is called up to do hers is hilarious and clever in itself. Also seeing Annie's journey to the restaurant really highlighted the modernness of this film. It's set in 2014. Not the depression.

The modern remakes of the songs are both fun and energetic though i do miss the orchestra feel of the 1982 film. Quvenzhane Wallis (Annie) is very talented and despite the unnecessary auto tune here and there, pulls off Annie amazingly, her take on Sia's Opportunity gave me goose bumps. This film is filled with hilarious fresh one liners especially from Jamie Foxx, who plays the modern and very accurate version of Mr Warbucks.

This film will surely make you laugh, the only downside i have is the fact that they could have done a LOT more Choreographically, for example the choreography in the original hard knock life was astounding whereas this version not so much. I also found one or two of the random song break made me cringe. But the major downfall was the choreography and the fact their are only 5 foster kids, these things are the reason i can't give the film a 10/10.

This is NOT Political correctness, most people fail to realize that 1982 Annie based off a fictional cartoon strip, was set during the great Depression and a time where Irish and Ginger folk, two of Annie's attributes were highly marginalized and carried negative stigma, that's what made Annie special. The fact that she made people see through all of that and love her for the sweet adventurous child she was despite her social class. This modern reboot portrays Annie as a black girl another marginalized group, if you don't believe me, look at all the racist reviews. Annie could be any child, Black, White, Asian, but the fact she was a ginger opened a lot of eyes and hopefully this film will too.

PS. I took my kids who have seen the original to watch this and they loved it, no mention of race, no mention of Annie's hair, so you grown adults complaining do look pathetic.

All in All, GO SEE THIS FILM! And if you like it, write a review.
  • jennipenny22 January 2015
    I thought it was a great movie. I grew up watching the old Annie and I loved this one just as much. The original Annie made you feel happy for Annie and Mr Warbuck but this Annie made you feel good about yourself and your family. I thought the new songs were catchy and enjoyable. The only bad thing I can see was that Cameron Diaz's acting was a bit over exaggerated but besides that, it was great. I had no problem at all with the actors being black, in fact, I didn't even think about it until I came on here and read the disgusting comments. All the people that grew up with the old Annie and are hating on this one need to stop because this is an updated version on the story that was made for the next generation. Just think of the poor little girls in the movie reading your disgusting comments.
  • ellielouisej22 December 2014
    I thought this film was so rubbish and of course it's not going to be like the original Annie I understand that but it was so boring I couldn't wait to leave the cinema. There wasn't much of a proper story line to the film. It just looked like a budget, quick skim through of the original. The songs were song after one another but there was no real story line in between. I seriously wouldn't recommend wasting your money to watch this film it's not worth it. I love the film Annie and this one was a shambles. Maybe little children might enjoy it but it just dragged on. The acting was quite poor as well. It all looked very staged.
  • The only reason I saw this absolute horror show was because I was paid to. I'd have rather gotten it from a torrent site, but I couldn't find a seeder. Jamie Foxx and the liberal left Hollywood have ruined another perfectly good movie because they're too stupid to come up with something original. But this is the trend, isn't it?

Shove a political message down our throat.

Shove these horrible remakes down our throat with politically correct casts and actors.

From what I understand, the girl that played Annie was an absolute spoiled brat.

Yeah ... she'll go far in that town. The bad ones always do.

If anyone needs me, I'll be bleaching my eyes.
    Its not like I am the biggest Annie fan to begin with. My child had less to do with Annie and Pippie Long Stocking, and more to do with playing baseball and football.

But now, some years later, and 2 daughters later, I find myself watching the older versions of these movies on television. They are tolerable, and the music in the old version of Annie was pretty good. Unfortunately, this version of Annie was the worst "re-master" of any movie or play I have seen.

I will start with the good. Cameron Diaz plays a good drunk. Not sure how much acting there really is to be done there. That is it on the good news.

The bad news: Quvenzhané Wallis (Annie) – Maybe my kids have been spoiled by the Disney Channel, but no amount of auto tune can fix this girls voice. She can't dance, and is basically held together by the other girls portraying orphans. I don't care that she looks cute, has "pretty hair" or matches a demographic stereo type of what we are supposed to think of when we think foster kid. Last I remember she was in 12 Years a Slave. Can't quite remember her role there, but it had to have been better than this. The highlight, well, lets call it the apex of the movie is her solo…and it was the hardest 2 minutes of my life. My 5 year old, walked over to me, and asked if we could leave, unfortunately, for the both of us, my 9 year old still wanted to hold on and see if the movie "got better." Spoiler alert…it did not. Annie in this movie does not know how to read. I recently saw an interview with Wallis on television, and I think it may actually be true. She couldn't read from the queue cards during the interview either. Overall, this untalented little actress, even with all today's technology, can't even portray a homeless girl, who lives with a drunk, and is adopted by a rich business man. Out of the million or so girls that probably tried out for this role, she had to have been the worst. I will say this…she must have dang good connections in order to win, and destroy a role such as Annie.

Jamie Foxx - (who I usually like) portrays a big money business man gunning for mayor. Foxx, previous portrayal of Ray Charles was amazing to me. In Annie however, he apparently would be better off being Ray Charles than Jamie Fox. His voice is auto tuned to high heaven, my two year old has more dance moves than he does, and it is a little hard to portray him as a rich business man taking care of an orphan, when his last great movie had him playing a freed slave who was really good at murdering people.

Cameron Diaz - As stated before, she plays a really good drunk, either from experience, or acting skills, she has that part down. Everything else tanks from there. Her voice is the worst of the cast, only slightly behind Quvenzhané Wallis (Annie) Rose Byrne - She has the dance moves I will give her that but very limited singing skills. Why she is in the movie, I am not sure. If only to break up the terrible dialogue between Foxx and Wallis, I guess it's worth it.

Content: For a movie directed towards kids, there are a ton of alcoholism jokes. Alcoholism is not a joke. I get that there are a percentage of foster parents out there, working solely for the government check, and I understand that the State may not do a good job placing these poor children . But come on, the movie wants me to believe that the State took a ton of ethnically diverse children of multiple ages, and left them with a drunk anglo women, sulking on her "what might have been past?" I don't buy it, neither did my kids.

Music: The music throughout the entire movie seems to be auto tuned to the highest levels technology can provide. The writers tried to "spice it up a bit" by adding some new songs, but each of them was terrible in its own special way. I feel sorry for any and all of the side actors, or even the extra's who had to sit around for hours, while the cast undoubtedly bellowed and belched out their lyrics. If you are going to make a musical, for heaven sakes, find some musically inclined people, and go from there. The Sun never is going to come out, never again, not ever. Frankly, the sun is too embarrassed by the ghetto'd up version this classic song and the destruction of this classic story.
    I've seen it 12 times now! A movie that makes me laugh and sing-along with the characters deserves a 10. Because the experience of going to the theater should be a positive one. This new ANNIE is a refreshing opportunity to enjoy and feel good. You will connect emotionally with the characters (Annie, Mr.Stacks, Miss Hannigan, Grace, and Lou) and care about their journey.

This is a film that celebrates the wonders of childhood: it reminds us of how precious our little girls are. "Annie 2014" will make you laugh, smile, and it will warm your heart. There are some wonderful and touching moments—-those are the moments you look forward to if you watch this film a second or third or fourth time!

Q. Wallis' performance is energetic and genuine. Her singing is stellar. No wonder why Annie has two Golden Globe nominations (best actress in musical and best original song). The way Wallis sings "Opportunity" is breathtaking! Wow!

Our contemporary Annie is authentic and smart. She navigates the streets of New York with the hope that one day the sun will shine upon her and she will find her parents. I love her assertiveness –"I am a foster child, not an orphan." In many ways, Annie is a role model... we should all learn from her! About the other characters: R. Byrne is a lonely sweet and intelligent assistant who finds a friend in Annie. C. Diaz portrays a hopeless/bitter failed-singer who now takes care of the foster little girls. J. Foxx plays a funny, lonely and ambitious Mayor-of-New York candidate. He too sings with passion and heart. I love how Lou, the Latin guy, adds a spicy, funny and sweet twist.

Any flaws with this movie? Yes. Some songs are bad and some scenes are terribly silly. But those flaws do not eclipse the great message, the great music, and the great acting. The more I watch it, the more I love Annie and her quest.

Overall, "Annie 2014" delivers what it promises – music, family comedy, and sentiment.
  • Annie is an age old story of an orphan struggling to survive and is magically swept off her feet by a reluctant grouch who suddenly gets a warm heart and yadda yadda yadda. Yes, an updated version of Annie sounded awesome and yes, some of us had hope for it. And HELL NO is this what Annie should have become. This is perhaps one of the most ridiculous, over produced, annoyingly unoriginal remakes in recent years. With a cast like this film, starring Jamie Foxx, Quvenzhane Wallis, Cameron Diaz and Rose Byrne, this should have been a very competent film but it is so bogged down with a ridiculous hip-hop shroud of the musical numbers and poorly executed dance numbers that it is hard to take this seriously. The biggest culprit is Will Gluck, the man directs this with absolutely no flavor. It isn't hard to make the story of Annie heart warming, not in the very least. It is one of the best told stories along with being one of the best musicals of all time. Even if you were asleep at the wheel for most of the production, you could still get something out of it. Gluck fails to do pretty much everything when it comes to direction. It is lazy and unoriginal. To be frank, the only reason why I'm giving this a 3 instead of a 10 is Wallis' performance. She was truly awesome as Annie and it is a shame that the film wasn't even a fraction as good as her performance. Overall, this is a film that will more than likely have you pounding your fist against your head for the entire duration of the film...oh yeah, it is THAT bad.
  • Wow, all the one star reviews are so sad. Im really glad i didn't listen to them and took my kids to see the movie. It is such an amazing movie and i don't think there was a single person in the theater who didn't walk out with smiles on their face. Honestly, i prefer this version to the 1982 version and Quevenzhane is an amazing singer and performer. She's also a good role model for little girls to look up to. The people saying that she can't sing or dance are being so unfair and that makes me sick to my stomach! I normally never leave movie reviews but will be rating this a 10 star review to hopefully offset the jackasses picking on a beautiful talented little girl.
  • A great deal of prejudice (yes, there really is no other honest word for it) kept me from seeing this movie until recently.

Firstly, I only moderately liked the original 1982 Annie, so the thought of remake had little appeal. Secondly, the casting seemed off. Sure, these are great actors worth seeing in any other production, but Annie is pretty defined by her milk-pale skin dotted with freckles, and as-hopelessly-white-as-Bret-Dennen red hair. Not to mention Daddy Warbucks defined the stereotype of a rich white republican businessman. What next? An Irish Nick Fury, a Native American play Bruce Lee in a bio-pic, or Jackie Chan cast as Zorro?

Obviously, it seemed, this was a case of art being sacrificed on the altar political correctness, or some other some other nefarious motive. Negative reviews from critics affirmed my doubts, and I felt justified in avoiding this movie. In retrospect: how small of me.

When finally seeing this production on Blu-Ray, I was amazed. Quvenzhane and Jamie are fantastic, the supporting cast also put in great performances. The tired 1930's script has been updated to be more realistic and believable. This story draws you in and makes you care. Yes, this feel-good family fare with a predictable happy ending, but it is executed flawlessly. Humor and drama is blended well, and it has the tone of future classic. You will want this in your library, because you will not mind experiencing it again as you show it for others that were also duped by the critics and doubters.

Critiques: It would have been nice to hear more of Mr. Foxx's amazing voice talents (we only get a small sample). Producer Will Smith made some good calls in casting (and avoiding another After Earth disaster), but should have done more to distance himself from the film. Maybe to the extent of asking DreamWorks or Disney to distribute under their label, which would have assured greater success at the box office.
  • Avalontravel21 December 2014
    Annie was a beautifully entertaining film about a fostered girl in modern day America whose big dream is to one day meet her biological parents. She faithfully awaits their return as she encounters one cunningly opportunistic adult after another.

The film's messages are so simple and cliché in the Western world as to not worth arguing about(that's a good thing): The love of family(biological and chosen) is more important than material gain. Lonely people are still lonely at the top. Everybody needs love. Greed leads to evil.

It's a children's movie for Pete's sake!

My toddler and middle-schooler-both boys-were hooked from start to finish, but so were my husband and I! The music was catchy and upbeat. Quvenzhane Wallis was a bright shining star and was such a joy to watch. She really was a heart warmer and a convincingly hopeful foster child. In fact, the entire cast was charming, including Carmen Diaz.

Many of the ratings here were questionable until further reading. How does a movie get so utterly slammed before it's even come out? Go home boot leggers! Complaints about Quvenzhane Wallis not being the "real" Annie abound. I've seen the word n**ger tossed about and believe those bitter sentiments are the source of the majority of the negative "audience" reviews. Critics missed the entire point of this film and can safely be ignored.

We live in an upscale part of Boca. It's predominantly white, as was the viewing audience. I'd read the reviews prior to seeing the movie and intentionally watched the audience to see their reactions. I mean, if a movie is a 2-star overall, it should reflect that in a random audience, right? People should be disappointed and bored! But no. Adults and children alike, black, white, Hispanic, and some Asians, were all tuned in and appeared joyfully entertained throughout. A group home for teens with Down's Syndrome were seated in front of us. One of the young men was so excited for Annie that he was standing up and cheering for her along the way. We all were. A middle aged white mother with her two blond haired daughters was seated next to my eldest son, "This is so great, isn't it?", she asked enthusiastically at the movie's halfway point. My son beamed and told her he loved it. Annie received a sustained applause at the end and I knew it would. The audience had fallen in love with her journey and with her.

Annie is cheesy, simplistic, clichéd, redundant, auto-tuned, and almost a full 2-hours long. It's also whimsical, joyfully entertaining, heartwarming, packed with talented performances, groundbreaking in its characterization of Annie as a little black girl, and supports messages about family and love that are virtually inarguable. In other words, it's an excellent holiday film!

Ignore the ratings slam that the movie is receiving, many of of which are from people who are quite obviously racist and others subtly so, and see for yourself. Oh, and if you loved it, please rate it.
  • I'm a huge fan of Annie and was excited to hear of the remake. I went to see it with my mom, sister and nieces ages 7 and 11. Unfortunately, there is a bothersome scene in the beginning. You see a girl standing in front of a classroom who looks like original Annie (cute, red curly hair and dress). Her name is even Annie. She's reading an essay in a "goodie two-shoes" way. Her classmates are rolling their eyes in annoyance. She ends with a weird tap dance then sits down. You get the impression that the class doesn't like her. Then the teacher calls up Annie #2, the star of the movie. This Annie is African American. She's adorable and super cool. She doesn't read a prepared essay but instead gets the class to participate in a fun song. You definitely get the impression that the class really likes her.

Subtle reverse-racism is at play here. It's a dig on white people being uncool. It's perpetuated in plenty of black comic acts. We are supposed to be promoting acceptance! Shame on them.
  • suzieberry26 August 2015
    Not sure why so many feel the need to bash this version of the movie just because they think they're the top 'original' Annie movie fan of all time. Who cares if they made a new version...it's not even close to being the same as the original. I absolutely loved the original Annie, and I can say that I love this one just as much. It's SO much fun, and all of the actors/actresses are wonderful at acting and singing. I feel that the changes that were made were done so to reflect the times we live in...certain sayings from the original wouldn't be related to as easily. Nothing wrong with liking both...they're just movies, so I don't think you'll hurt the original Annie's feelings if you decide to like this one just as much or more!!
  • romobley23 December 2014
    This Annie remake was great! I have two small girls who love both renditions of Annie. For me, I actually enjoy this remake a little more because Ms. Hannigan's verses and character is more kid viewer appropriate. My girls are 5 & 6 so I cringe when Carol Burnett says, "Oochie Coochie," in one of her songs. The original will always be a classic. Punjab and Rooster are irreplaceable. But even without them this remake was awesome. The entire Theatre clapped at this performance and I left out with a very proud feeling. The cast was great, but Jamiee Foxx really put a smile on my face. I'm proud of his career and so glad he's able to represent African- American men in a positive light, especially during this time. Bravo!!!! Bravo to you all!!!
  • Those that I've seen giving it low ratings are primarily doing so because Annie (2014) does not look like the original Annie and that's saaaaad. Those of us who watched and loved the original Annie (1982) can watch it again and again on Netflix. Annie (2014) is for our children's generation.

As soon as my children (especially my daughter) saw the trailer, she was excited about seeing the movie. I tried to get her to watch the original so she would know what this remake is based on, and she did not like the original. She gave it 30 minutes max...but she loved Annie 2014 from beginning to end. THAT is the reason this movie was redone. Whoever watches it needs to go into it ready and excited about seeing the new Annie or else you will have a problem with it.

Regarding the plot--Ahhh...the movie is so sweet. It tugged on my heartstrings just like the original. It's not a brand new plot, just a modernized one. Only downside for me was that Wallis didn't have the same strong vocals as Quinn (the previous Annie). Wallis's acting was spot on though. This 2014 version also didn't sing "Tomorrow" to death like the first one, but I happened to like the repetitiveness of the song in the original version. This one focused more on Jay Z's version of "Hard Knocks Life". Given the modern feel, that worked. Overall, I thought it was absolutely beautiful.

I feel like I should thank Will and Jada Smith for having the vision to do this movie, despite all the "Annie should be white with red hair and freckles" backlash and recent Sony issues. The casting was perfect. Jamie Foxx stole the show. He's handsome, can sing, and he's funny. Cameron Diaz was perfect too and laugh-out-loud-funny as Ms. Hannigan. Rose Byrne as Grace fit well, and it was good to see the actors I will always know as Adebisi (Oz) and Sgt. Angel Batista (Dexter). I loved the diverse cast.

What made me happiest, above seeing a modern version of a classic I loved, is that my 7 year old daughter and I were able to enjoy this one together. Not only do I get to sing "Tomorrow" with her, but she got to see a child that looked like her on the big screen in a positive role. My generation didn't have that.
    If you're going to remake something remake it well or don't bother. This is the problem with Hollywood these days, destroying perfectly good classics with sheer bone headed dribble.

The movie was terrible, the flow of it was all over the place, no proper story build up or background (as for example to why Mr Stacks would in 3 minute space without much convincing even though he did not come across as much of a people person decide to take Annie into his home.)

The songs just came out of the blue and were very irritating to listen to.

The lead Quvenzhané Wallis although not much to her fault but rather the scripts came across as a really loud and annoying brat.

The only reason I gave it a 2 was I found Jamie Foxx's role to be rather enjoyable and humourfull but besides that don't bother wasting your time.

Yet another classic remade to be some sort of "modern" adaptation.
  • I've read a lot of the negative reviews about Annie saying everything from it's a lot of music to not liking Cameron Diaz to not liking the ethnic Annie. I will say that I've seen the original Annie and all other versions and it does what all the others do...THEY SING A LOT! It is for goodness sakes...a musical! I would be very upset if I went to an opera where they talked! I like the additions and the things that they've added to the new Annie to make it match modern times. I also really enjoyed Cameron and Jamie Foxx's performances. They were good and refreshing. I loved the new Annie...not only was she cute as a button but her performance was great! Don't listen to critics...go see the new Annie.
    This adaption of Annie is totally ludicrous I'm glad I only saw the movie once in the cinema. Not even believable and the actors totally over acted and Cameron Diaz is not even on the same planet and the movie is not even funny. I nearly fell asleep watching it, I liked the original much better. People may love this version but its one of the worst remakes there is on the planet. Remakes are never as wonderful as the original. Annie never should have been re done. The songs are song off key and the script should be thrown at the director and the writers. This movie is not worth ten cents. I give this a 1/10 and that's being nice. Jamie Fox was worst person to play William Stacks its so dry and the humor is not there.

Annie was one of the best movies there was and now the remakes have come out they don't compare. This movie is one of the worst remakes and makes you wanna grind your teeth listening to this dribble. Thousands spent on the movie and yet still not even enjoyable, nothing about this adaption was enjoyable and the lame jokes. What is with Cameron Diaz and acting like she's miss thing? She was nothing but a drama queen who needed a life.
  • MystieStar20 December 2014
    I liked that it was based in modern times and the girl who played Annie did a wonderful job with the character. The musical scenes were great as well. I even had tears at the ending. Very emotional and great movie in all. The movie is about Annie who is a foster child and lives in NYC with 4 other girls and her foster Mom. She is saved by a man who is running for mayor and eventually gets adopted in the end. The story is well done to adapt to modern times and the characters are really good. The girl who plays Annie is a great singer and the whole movie will brighten your day. I would definitely see it again. This could be a new classic in its own right.
  • This film is not recommended.

Annie, Will Gluck's musical film, and I am using that term loosely, is wrong-headed in concept and execution. After two vain attempts to film the successful Broadway hit, this latest version sucks all the life and last glimmers of hope that was so evident in the original production. Updated to present-day NYC, this new updated version Whereas, the Broadway musical had buckets of charm, a great score sung by talented performers that stressed comedy, and a book that clung to the nostalgic memories of the twenties, this debacle has anti-charm, alters the score with synthesized percussion and bombastic orchestrations, distorts songs so poorly crooned by non-singers (with the sole exception of Mr. Foxx who has some vocal talents and rhythm), and a dumbed-down script that resorts to food-spitting as high comedy (at least three times). It's just awful.

The screenplay by Aline Brosh McKenna and the director never finds the right footing. In this Annie, our plucky heroine is not an orphan, but a foster child in search of her parents. She is still living with the self-absorbed Miss Hannigan, now a wash-up singer from the 90's pop group, C +C Music Factory. Daddy Warbucks becomes Will Stacks, a germaphobic businessman running for mayor. They meet and Annie becomes his photo opportunity until his heart is melted by this young ragamuffin. The film uses the original source as an outline, losing all the clever repartee and creating new dialog that is contemporary sounding for all the worse reasons. (Example: When looking for the dog, Sandy, to adopt, Stacks says to Annie: "Don't pick that one! It's licking its own who-ha." Moments of this sophistication just can't express my total displeasure with this film adaptation.)

Gluck's heavy-handed direction is everywhere. No one can escape it. The director can't stage a scene with any musical flair. The dancing is sloppy, the singing merely adequate, and the acting settles into non-stop mugging. The wondrous score from Charlie Strouse and Martin Charnin is as diluted as the filmmakers. Many of the musical numbers are throwaway moments and never build to anything resembling entertainment. (Only one song, It's a Hard- Knock Life, at least, has some energy and fun.)

Quvenzhané Wallis plays the title role and she does look cute enough to play Annie, but she has a limited vocal range and comes off as saccharine and insincere. The aforementioned Mr. Foxx has some style, but is given little to do except look grumpy and bothered until he transforms, due to his love for the little tyke, into a lovesick sap. As Stack's helpful crew, Rose Bryne is wasted and Bobby Cannavale is an embarrassment of riches. Coming off worse of all is Cameron Diaz playing Miss Hannigan. It would be unfair to compare her performance to the legendary Dorothy Loudon. Let's just say Ms. Diaz is just loud and leave it at that. (That she plays this beloved villain as cruel and seriously hateful only shows her misinterpretation of the role and serious miscasting of the part of Mr. Gluck.) Sadly, this film is one-stop- shopping to find these actors' worst performance in their careers.

The film has the New York vibe, but it seems to be in its own alternate universe, gritty but not too gritty, real, but not too real. The production design by Marcia Hinds is dreadful (Stacks' penthouse looks like a modern architecture horror inspired by George Jetson.), the costumes by Renee Ehrlich Kalfus are unflattering and do little to endear the characters, and the cinematography by Michael Grady is bland at best.

Perhaps, I should stop here, looking toward a better tomorrow when the sun will come up once again. But this feel-good movie just made me feel all so bad. So, I will end with this warning: Taking your family to see this film is a form of child abuse. This Annie deserves to be alone. GRADE: D

Visit my blog at: www.dearmoviegoer.com

ANY COMMENTS: Please contact me at: jadepietro@rcn.com
    In Harlem, a class of young children are doing presentations on former presidents. 10-year-old Annie Bennett (Quvenzhane Wallis) does her report on Franklin D. Roosevelt as a performance piece, and she gets her classmates to join her in by stomping their feet and making noises.

Annie visits a restaurant called "Domani" where she waits for her parents to show up and finally reclaim her. They never come. Annie gets back to her foster home and rejoins her foster sisters - Isabella, Tessie, Mia, and Pepper. They're looked over by the mean Colleen Hannigan (Cameron Diaz), who used to be a performer and is now miserable for having to take care of the girls. The girls lament not being adopted ("Maybe").

Hannigan wakes the girls up early on Saturday to make them clean their house as an inspector from Social Services is set to arrive ("It's The Hard Knock Life"). The inspector visits, and Hannigan flirts with him. After he leaves, the girls notice that he dropped a document containing their records. Annie takes it and seizes the opportunity to seek out her real parents. Annie stops by Lou's (a convenience store run by her friend) to do some work to get the money needed to get the documents.

Will Stacks (Jamie Foxx), a cell phone mogul and owner of "Stacks Mobile" is running for mayor. He is supported by his adviser Guy (Bobby Cannavale), his assistant Grace (Rose Byrne), and bodyguard Nash (Adewale Akinnouye-Agbaje). Will is a germaphobe and not very popular with voters compared to the current favorite Harold Gray (Peter Van Wagner). Will goes to feed the homeless and tries to eat the mashed potatoes to show how much he cares, only for him to spit it out in the face of a homeless man.

Annie is unable to learn anything about her parents since she's not in the system. She walks home depressed ("Tomorrow"). She sees two boys annoying a dog. Annie runs, yelling at them to stop. Will saves Annie from being hit by a vehicle.

A video of Will's heroic act hits the web, and he moves up several points. Guy suggests to him that he find Annie and use her to make himself look good for the public. Will sends Grace to get Annie.

Will offers Annie his place for a temporary stay. She knows there's a catch, and he admits the plan. She jokes that he could be president if she moved in. The adults get somebody to approve the temporary guardianship for Will. Annie then takes a tour around the place and is impressed with everything ("I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here").

Will sets the plan in motion by allowing Annie out to do whatever she wants. They adopt the dog from the streets (to Will's dismay), and Annie names it Sandy. He later takes Annie and the foster girls to the premiere of a movie called MoonQuake Lake'. The girls are taken back to the foster home, and Hannigan orders them to take back all the nice things they got. She once again bemoans her current position in life ("Little Girls"). Gray gets endorsed by Michael J. Fox, leading Will to get a bit desperate. He decides to take Annie on a ride over the city in his chopper ("The City's Yours").

Annie joins Will, Grace and Guy at the Guggenheim Museum for a Stacks Mobile event called "A Night at The Museum". Will invites Annie up on stage for the people to see her in her red dress. She sings "Opportunity", and the orchestra joins in. After the performance, Guy tells Annie to read a speech that he wrote. Annie is quiet and leaves the stage upset. Will and Grace run after her, and Annie admits that she doesn't know how to read. Will says he will get her a tutor.

Guy devises a plan to get fake parents for Annie to get her off Will's hands. Guy teams up with Hannigan to set their scheme in motion ("Easy Street"), because, if Will looks heroic and reunites Annie with her parents, Guy gets a nice reward. Hannigan later auditions a bunch of actors to play the part, but is not pleased with any of them.

Don't Listen To Negative Comments And Ignore Unjust Critics!.

See This Movie. I am absolutely certain you will love it.
  • Grantgillem0527 December 2014
    Yikes
    For the most part, I have felt that 2014 has been quite a strong year in the cinema world. Movies like Gone Girl, Unbroken, and even the third installment to The Hunger Games series have proved to please audiences, raking in the money and creating discussion around the country. Unfortunately, this feeling quickly left when I sat down to see the 2014 version of Annie. To be honest, I never really had much interest in seeing this movie in the first place; however, as a regular theater and movie goer, I figured that an updated version of a classic musical would be something that I would enjoy. Wow, was I proved wrong.

30 seconds into the movie, it was clear that a lot of money had been put into this project. The opening credits displayed many large names in the music and film industry, desperately trying to use ethos to appeal to the audience. As a matter of fact, it worked and I was quite excited when I saw names such as Jay-Z, and Will and Jada Smith as producers. Even the cast was loaded with names such as Jamie Foxx, Cameron Diaz, and Rose Byrne. B-listers at best, but still names that were familiar. Visually, the opening 30 seconds were fantastic. If the rating of this movie was solely based on the visual appearance, I would definitely consider an 8 or 9 out of 10 because the editing was fantastic.

After those first 30 seconds, the movie quickly tanked when the first words were spoken. It did not take a movie connoisseur to realize just how terrible the acting was. It was quite unfortunate that so many famous people were involved, and could not even bring in one decent actress. Annie's performance was quite sub-par. Some might say that it was impressive for a child of her age, but still it was pretty distracting from the plot. Jamie Foxx, playing the self-made billionaire "Mr. Stacks" might have been the most believable actor because his character's pretentious attitude seemed to fit his real-life demeanor.

Perhaps the most cringe-worthy performance of all was Cameron Diaz as Miss Hannigan. So much so that it deserves its own paragraph. The drunken foster mom could not have overacted and exaggerated more than she did. I promise you that my high school "Introduction to Acting" class could have produced a better actress than her performance. Every single word spoken sounded so incredibly forced and scripted. There was not one moment during the movie that I actually believed a word spoken from her mouth. When I say cringe-worthy performance, I am speaking literally and I cringed during every single scene of hers. All I could imagine was the embarrassment felt watching her own performance at the premiere, and the people who had to pretend like they enjoyed it when they ran into her afterwards.

Although Diaz and other actors did not perform well, there was one tragic flaw that really made this movie terrible: the music. The modern adaptation included many of the classic songs from the original musical, and also featured new songs composed by popular artists like Sia. The lyrics of the new songs could not have been worse. It genuinely sounded like a poem written by a 10 year old, not like a song worthy of Broadway or Hollywood. Along with that, not one cast member could sing. I could hear dozens of people physically laughing at the autotune used on the actors in this movie. Furthermore, the arrangement of the music was so try-hard. It was incredibly obvious that the composers wanted to make the music sound more like hip-hop and less like showtunes, but it was still awful. It's been 24 hours, and I still can't get over just how bad the singing was. Again, you would imagine that such a star-studded team of producers would be able to hire at least one singer.

Conceivably the most sense of false hope I had for the movie was when Tracie Thoms appeared on screen. (She is known for playing Joanne in Rent, a phenomenal singer). I finally thought that there would be a song that was pure, and not autotuned through the roof. Unfortunately, Thoms never got to display her vocal talent. Whose idea was it to cast Thoms in a musical and not let her sing? I do not know, and frankly I don't want to know because I don't believe that this casting director should ever work in Hollywood again.

Overall, there is nothing I can advise you more than to stay away from the modern adaptation of Annie. Whether or not you like or have seen the original, I guarantee you that this will still be a bad movie. Many people have asked me, "do you think that you didn't enjoy it just because you're comparing it to the original?" My honest answer is that even if the original didn't exist, this would still be one of the worst movies of the decade. Please do not see Annie (2014). Luckily, I cannot imagine this will stay in theaters for long. To summarize this movie in one word: yikes.