User Reviews (1,381)

• 400ppm CO222 February 2018
    Not an 8/10 movie
    This movie should average a 7/10. Feels like Disney paid for 25,000 votes at 10/10. I had to rate it as only one star to help counter that 10/10 marketing flood nonsense.

The movie is reasonable for discount theater days but for full price, I don't think so.

It relies heavily on silly conflict based on ignoring truth. There's no reason to kill the king because his father killed your father if it was done out of defense. Also, what's a civilization with highly educated citizens, a higher sense of morality, and highly advanced technology doing with a "duel to the death to be king" thing still part of the culture? Shouldn't they have let go of that centuries ago?

It feels to me like Marvel is starting to feel the profit suck of Disney. Make lots of okay movies and make lots of money for the parent company. Then again... that last Thor movie was quite good.
  • c-murray63115 February 2018
    Over-hyped - Not enough effort put into core aspects of a film
    With all the hype surrounding this movie (excellent trailers, Kendrick-curated soundtrack, all-African cast) I thought I was in for something special with Black Panther, as while they aren't remotely the highest quality movies, the Marvel cinematic universe movies are generally pretty entertaining. As it turns out I was wrong, Black Panther was extremely average, I have no idea what these critics/review bots are talking about when they say that it is the best Marvel movie and worthy of "critical" praise (as not just a super hero movie but as a movie in general.)

Things that I liked:
    • Effort put into aesthetic authenticity of the African elements of the movie - within the Marvel universe the look and feel of the movie was unique and you can tell care was taken in this regard.
    • Andy Serkis - My favorite character by far, was probably the only person who didnt seem like he was reading from a script sheet and got some genuine laughs out of me.

Things that I didn't like:
    • The story was extremely predictable and to be honest I don't know if the most virtuous resolution was reached in the climax. Michael B Jordan's character had fairly reasonable intentions for wanting to kill the Black Panther and take his place in Wakanda as he had been abandoned, with seemingly no family, to live in the ghettos of Oakland. However, his whole plan to give advanced Wakandan weaponry to every African person in the world so they could kill and overthrow people in power who weren't African was extremely "on-the-chin" in terms of its narrative motivations within the current climate. It wasn't remotely clever or nuanced and really unbalanced his character, his motivations were understandable but his plan was moronic. Additionally, who didn't see Black Panther surviving his fall? Who didn't see the Gorilla tribe coming to the rescue at the end? The entire movie was so bland and predictable I wanted it to be over well before the end - I didn't even stay for the post credit scenes...
    • The acting was very wooden - Not a lot to say here really, some really poor line delivery from the cast across the board except for Andy Serkis. No one was particularly charismatic, the main character for instance was extremely boring.
    • The script was very robotic - This ties into the poor acting, but perhaps as a result of the script, some of the actors never really had a chance to bring their characters to life.
    • The characters - I have already addressed the mess that was Michael B Jordan's character Warmonger(?). Basically throughout the entire movie you never really learn anything or see anything of the Black Panther's character, he basically moves from one place to another showing no emotion and just either smashes things or asks people questions. Apparently the character is supposed to be very intelligent, while it was probably a narrative choice, the Black Panther in this movie seemed like an emotionless Jarhead whose only really characteristic was that he get nervous around his girlfriend... The women in this movie had a bit of attitude and charisma and shouldn't be blanketed down with the Black Panther and Warmonger as bad characters, but they didnt really get a chance to shine and really only contributed a few one liners and a bit of fighting.
    • The action - Shaky-cam rubbish, the action in the movie is terrible and not remotely on the level of the well-choreographed fighting in say Captain America Winter Soldier - please for the love of god show someone getting punched or kicked without having to cut the shot 5 times. There is an action sequence at the start which basically flagposted what the action was going to be like, it is shot at night and you basically cant see bloody anything...
    • The CGI - Honestly, the CGI in Black Panther felt extrmely overused and was surprisingly quite bad. It really took me out of some scenes because the environments and effects looked average (not quite Justice League bad but not far off). It is obvious in scenes in Wakanda, for instance, where the plains/mountains are in the background but they are clearly filming in front of a green screen. Some of the effects just looked silly and got laughs out of me and my party. I personally though the Rhinos were stupid...
    • The Soundtrack - After all the hype surrounding Kendrick Lamar curating a soundtrack for the movie, the tracks from that album barely feature at all. They faintly play from some cars and stuff here and there and a couple feature in some action scenes but I though we would be watching some decent action scenes with some bass heavy Kendrick blasting along to the fighting. Alas, no dice. The orchestral score is also quite average, coming in strong at weird moments and being quite out of place in certain places, there are a couple of moments where it seems like some sort of fairy, Harry Potter, Narnia music that just doesn't fit the scene.

Overall I think this is probably one of the weaker Marvel movies, avoiding honest criticism because of the hype surrounding it. The basic components of the film are all poor-average, with the only real 5+/10 aspect being the aesthetics of Wakanda and its people. Like I said above, I wanted to leave well before it was over because I knew the action was probably not going to improve from nauseating shaky-cam and I knew how it was all going to play out.
  • paul_s_hills16 February 2018
    Don't Believe the Hype
    After the excellent.....and hilarious.....Thor 3, I was rather looking forward to this. Positive reviews had also whetted the appetite. Perhaps it was the expectation that undermined the enjoyment?

The genre is a little hard to quantify, but it reminded a lot of Wonder Woman. Except, instead of the WW2 setting, we had a kind of Bond-style thriller instead, complete with ridiculous gadgets and under-developed baddies.

The film looks great (some dodgy CGI aside) - I liked the armour, weaponry and cultural aesthetics. I also felt a lot of the performances were quite compelling. Unfortunately, it is all rather dull. And doesn't feature anything we haven't seen before.

What is most disappointing, is that it doesn't seem to tie into the Marvel continuity at all (apart from the unremarkable Everett Ross, who appeared from nowhere in Civil War and is a poor attempt to replace Agent Coulson). Like Wonder Woman, this is simply a "Black Panther tale" and you can take it or leave it when embarking on your next Marvel marathon.

I also found the advanced technology to be completely over the top. Weapons and armour, I can understand. Miracle healing and Panther suits concealed within necklace teeth is VERY hard to swallow indeed. Vibranium was an indestructible Alien metal that could absorb sound. Fair enough. Great material for weapons and armour. But spaceships and miracle healing? Really? Couldn't we have toned it down just a little?

I was bored. My friend was bored. After his wonderful debut in Civil War, this was a bit of a wasted opportunity.
  • morrisfotograf8 March 2018
    Wow! They forgot to give characters value... again...
    Seriously - WHY does Hollywood think that film lovers do NOT want characters to have a value? Both old and young people want to fall in love with the characters in movies - or the opposite for antagonists.

In this movie they spend maybe 30 seconds building up the characters, if even that. They just assume that we will have feelings to any character who pops up in the movie - BUT WE DON'T.

If anyone fights, almost dies and in the end dies anyways we just do not care since we do not get to know the person. Forrest Whitaker acts is but off yet you do not care if he dies... WHO is he, tell us something about him before please (!).

Same thing goes for the rest. Seriously, a movie with 99% effects and 1% emotions is NOT a good balance.

PS. They killed off the one character who did a good job acting:ANDY SERKIS, we all love you bro! Hope that you somehow come back in the next Marvel shajt-movie.
  • kuarinofu19 February 2018
    Wishful thinking / Broken ratings / Longread
    First, this movie has a lot of pointless scenes that achieve nothing, the museum scene with pointless covert operation ending up in killing everyone anyway, that's so not Silent Assassin. The 007 Bond casino scene was just there to establish the most worthless character in movie history - Everett K. Ross.

After the capture of Klaue (surprisingly surviving a horrible car crash), we get another pointless scene where Killmonger and his girlfriend re-capture Klaue just to kill him again for no reason. Killmonger never actually needed Klaue in the first place, so killing him was as pointless as freeing him out. Killmonger also kills his GF for no particular reason yet again. He could've easily get to Wakanda anyway since he has the royal tattoo (they also gave those to vampire servants in Blade).

Then Killmonger and Black Panther participate in previously established variety of local Mak'Gora (election process I guess). Black Panther fails miserably and the new stronger king takes the throne, the end, right? No. They actually want you to root for the most useless and impotent king ever. Killmonger then says something stupid about colonization and oppression, and decides to use the Vibranium weapons (produced solely by a 16 y.o. girl mastermind) to conquer the world. So he's like pro-anti-colonization or something, you tell me. Yet he is betrayed by his people (Okoye literally says she will stay loyal to the king and in 5 minutes betrays the new king) and they all happily participate in a civil war slaughter until Killmonger gets killed. Also love how they intercepted their own ships with their own people, just murdering them.

There was also some sort of brother betrayal, but it was so shallow and lacking motivation that it isn't really worth discussing. The brother (I think) wanted to have some more action and so he betrayed the king just to lower his weapons and suffer a life sentence afterwards. After slaughtering his own people, everything gets back to normal. And the king who solves all problems with violence decides to share his tech and knowledge to help the world. But not like the whole world, mostly African-american people in the US. I'm sure it's going to be pretty easy, since all technology in this world is done by one genius girl.

Then we get the first post-credit scene when BP visits the UN assembly and says that he is ready to share the knowledge with all the nations. I'm pretty sure that we already have a lot of knowledge on slaughtering each other in wars and even civil wars, so his knowledge is not going to make a great difference.

Summing it up, we get a weak impotent king to hold his throne. He never cared about anyone besides himself really, the fact that he suggests to heal Killmonger who killed Zuri just for lulz shows that he doesn't care. He never cares about his own people since he never hesitated on killing them personally. Just a little advice, if you wan't to have a good king character, ask Llane Wrynn how to rule.

Killmonger was driven by revenge at first, then his motivation turned into some uncertain political position about oppression, but in the end it seems that he just loved his country (but not the people, it seems). The scene where BP suggests that Killmonger can be saved and healed completely destroys all the rivalry and the motivation of both.

Anyway, Killmonger and Klaue were the best characters in the movie. The story was nonsense, they achieved nothing , BP leaned nothing and is still a worthless king and a bad leader. Was nice to see Serkis having a lot of fun in this movie, I love that guy and I'd love to see more of him (guess he's tired of playing CGI puppets...Gollum...Gollum).

I also loved all the wishful thinking in this movie, which is mostly based on the comic I guess. Advanced native African people with space technology saving the world? Any educated person would suggest you checking South Africa after 1994. Supporting the immigrants in the US? Come on, guys...

The good stuff: even though there were just 3 sets of Wakanda I still kinda loved it, the music choice was good, showing all that traditionalism, the nature. Killmonger's scene with his father was gold, I wish we had more dramatic scenes (it was well acted and well executed overall). The sister was kinda cool sometimes, being a more modern character and rejecting the old ways. Even though she's a little too much Mary Sue.

Yet the main reason why I still decided to write this is the reviews. This has to stop. And I'm not talking solely about RT 97% which is just ridiculous. It's like people are afraid to judge something impartially cause of getting shamed for being racist or something.

Also, this movie started with fair 7.1 on IMDB later to be loaded with >30% of 10 ratings eventually ending up in 7.9 (as of now, I'm sure it will only go up). I'm not saying that IMDB has something to do with this, but this rating surely does not reflect the quality of the movie.

Conclusion: don't trust ratings (nor RT or IMDB). If you like it - like it, if you don't - no need to be afraid to say that you didn't like it.

You know you've seen a good movie when you exit the theater with something changed inside, an emotion, a thought - BP is not such a movie.
  • ajj_sin1 March 2018
    Why are there so many positive reviews of this movie ?
    I watched the movie last night. I have not written a review for a long time but i just wanted to help out my friends here who might be misguided by all the positive reviews here. I love all Marvel movies, they are not Oscar winners but my expectation is to be entertained and the most important ingredients have been
    • Literally "out of this world" action!
    • Outstanding effects
    • Well placed humor ( one liners and all - Best example Thor - Ragnarok)
    • Overall entertainment

This movie fails on all this. Its a dragged storyline, banal dialogues e.g. a fight scene, someone seems to be hurt and the dialogues go like "Hw are youuuu" "I am good, and you" "I am good too" "Let's go". Taken straight from a "Learn English conversation in 5 minutes" Chapter I

Okay special effects, nothing special,lets say 20 percent of normal Marvel extravaganzas.

The story line is weak and goes round and round and round...

No menacing bad guy. The potentially menacing one had a lesser role to play.

Very stupid and misplaced one liners, completely out of the blues some of them.

All in all; i am giving it a 4 , but it could be 5 or 6 if expectations are lowered but it is certainly not the Marvel that we know.
  • paul_marston15 February 2018
    Marvel's Last Jedi - RIP stand alone superhero movies
    If I were able to post a one or two word review, it would either be agenda or uncanny valley. Everything I feared this film would do, it did. Indeed in a couple of places it even referred to the (*spoilers*?) the slave trade! Seriously? In the 21st century you are going to refer at least twice in the same film to the slave trade - which BTW if you follow the film's premise would NOT have affected Wakanda as they were cut off from the rest of the world!

The main character of the film is T'Chala - a character so depressingly dour and serious, he could be a candidate for depression. You have his younger sister - who is CLEARLY being geared up as effectively riri from the comics - she WILL be the replacement for Tony Stark! To best describe her, she is a light hearted Q from thee James Bond films - I liked her, she was fun, lively, bright, as a character a real find.

Andy Serkis was excellent, but far too underused - Michael B Jordan's "big bad"? I understand the anger, I don't get his ultimate goal - makes NO sense. The female bodyguards were the nearest thing to Mary sues in the movie. Really - beating up men TWICE their size with the SAME military background?

I MUST discuss the CGI. This is a MASSIVE problem.Sure Wakanda looks spectacular, but so did Asgard. It's the motion of the main characters that is the problem. It seems that whilst they can get stationary objects (buildings etc) virtually spot on now, the same can NOT be said for dynamic ones. If you have watched any of the trailers, you'll know what I mean when you see Black Panther do his somersault The dynamic CGI characters look crystal clear, whilst the real life objects have a faint blur to them. You can just see where the live action starts and the CGI ends. If the cars were CGI as well you wouldn't notice the difference so much, but it IS there, and because it seems 90% of this film is CGI, in the end it becomes very annoying.

as for the claim that this is unlike any other Marvel film - I beg to differ - unless you refer to how insular the whole film is, as it is based almost entirely in Wakanda. Which could be acceptable, until you realise most of the action took place outside of wakanda - in the remaining 5-10% of the film!

Winter Soldier was CONSIDERABLY better than this. Guardians was better and more fun! Avengers had greater scope.Ragnarok was funnier.

I know EXACTLY who this film was geared for, and it was NOT for your typical Marvel comic book movie fan. it had good points, The tech wiz sis has major potential, Wakanda looked spectacular (if you ignore the poor water animations (the ripples in the water looked cut and paste, watch MOANA for how water can be animated!) The soundtrack bore no relation to the action (action scenes sounded the same as the quiet moments!). But the worst "crime" was the agenda it pushed. There is NO Excuse for this, as they PROVED they can have strong storyline in Winter soldier.

So if you want a film with a dour dreary lead character, lots of uncanny valley moments, and LOTS AND LOTS OF POLITICAL GRANDSTANDING with no payoff, then this is the film for you!

Just remember The Godfather / Goodfellas / Star Wars / Schindler's List all barely broke 90%, yet THIS is supposed to be 100%! If you don't think the ratings for this are agenda driven, I've got a bridge to sell you!

I do NOT want a Black Panther 2 - I think the days of single super hero movies are done
  • seanmartin-9779418 February 2018
    Overrated and overhyped
    I went to see Black Panther along with my friends, and following the hype train we were excited to see it. However, following the showing we were all dissapointed by a mess of a movie with little plot and little thought which only served as a pit stop for infinity war.

The critics have vastly overrated this movie due to its groundbreaking cast, but the movie itself is not at all groundbreaking. Littered with all the boring Marvel clich├ęs I have come to know and hate, such as their inability to kill off any hero's to add gravitas to their story, or the one dimensional villain who only exists for one movie so you know they will kill him off before the next, Black panther is also plagued by new problems no one but me seemed to notice. For example, the CGI was awful in the action scenes: whenever someone was even prodded, they would go flying across the screen in the most outlandish fashion, and the plot was torn straight out of the Lion King, as well as having the biggest waste of Martin Freeman since those Vodafone adverts.

Overall, I believe my dissapointment for this movie is fuelled by the marvel cinematic universe, as I feel sick of the movies they are pumping out like an industrial machine, as they all feel the same with little originality. I can only hope the bubble will burst sometime soon, and bring back true standalone movies which don't need a cinematic universe.
  • sbesse-750824 March 2018
    Created IMBD Account Just To Write This Review
    That's how important is was for me to explain my thoughts on this movie.

Super disappointed in this one. I say disappointed because I was really excited to see a great Super Hero movie with real Cultural cues. Unfortunately, that didn't happen.

Cultural Cues: MISSED It wasn't clear if this movie was endorsing Black American culture or African culture. No, they are not one-in-the-same. The futuristic Wakanda has graffiti on the walls (American Street Art) as well as tribal African painting that is chipped (is it impossible for paint to stay fresh in Africa?) and there are street merchants selling hand-woven baskets (fits the "tribal" scene, but not exactly the advanced technology city they were trying to illustrate).

Music seemed odd and try-hard. In a movie celebrating black culture, I was expecting some amazing, compelling bass-heavy, Kendrick-themed action scenes. Instead, we got typical Super Hero theme music with a snare added to it.

Acting & Character Development: MOSTLY OK

Michael B Jordan gave an excellent, powerful performance as Killmonger. His physique was massive and he was extremely compelling in comparison to other movies I've seen him in. Unfortunately, as a villain, it wasn't clear if we were rooting for him or against him. His character definitely displayed Leadership and strength that T'Challa (Black Panther) was lacking. I kinda wanted Killmonger to change his ways and become the permanent leader.

Klaue, played by Serkis was also excellently well executed. But again, he was still pretty likable. No villain to hate means so protagonist to root for.

Jabari tribe... what? Seemed more like the black fraternity Omega Psi Phi with their barking and mindless (and unexplainable) barbarism in an advanced society

Storyline & Message: EXTREMELY CONFUSING

Is the motivation political, or revenge? Is colonization good or bad? Is this a black/african versus white movie, or a weak versus power movie? Why is the king of the country determined by the best fighter? Is Wakanda advanced, or tribal? both? Alien precious metal, but no Foreign Affairs policies? Is opening an outreach center in the ghetto really enough Social Responsibility initiative for the most advanced society ever?
  • oliverfulton14 February 2018
    Black Panther (so many SPOILERS )
    Ahhh here we go again, another Marvel film. And I know I'm probably going to annoy a lot of people but, this is my review and if people disagree good for them. Disappointing, great potential and I really, really wanted to like it but... I didn't. One of the most loved characters in the marvel universe butchered. In the comics T'Challa is portrayed as an intelligent and most importantly a serious character; however, if I were to meet him in real life I wouldn't have a clue what he'd be like, unlike almost any other marvel character such as Iron man, Captain America and even Ant Man etc. The protagonists in the film are undeveloped and this is most obvious when you compare them to the villains that are shown to have a political standing and given such a rich personality over everybody else, when the audience can relate and connect to the villains more so than the protagonists the audience can't drive and support for the good guys; like most other superhero films. Don't get me wrong the villains are shown as such but the lack of character from the protagonists leaves a sour taste is one's mouth, especially since black panther is such a great character in the marvel franchise.

I loved the concept of the film, Africa is a great place to branch out into a new franchise of superhero's as well as villains; with a rich and interesting culture so rarely used in all superhero's films. I was really engrossed and absorbed with Michael B Jordan's character "Warmonger" and his political beliefs, compared to the protagonists his point of view was relatable as he had experienced the outside world and been formed by it just like us he was an outsider who wished to be a part of this futuristic and successful culture. However, the film lacked to drive home why his political stance was wrong, and how T'Challa's new approach will further benefit the world; I mean buying up properties in less developed parts of California is great but it was never really made clear to the audience (I mean me, and people less-smarter than me) what this was for. And you'd think for a film with an age rating of 12A, with such strong political elements would make it coherent what his solution was.

Don't even get me started on the CGI, completely ridiculous and over used. Some elements were so unrealistic e.g. war rhinos who are able to target out their 'enemies', who are also meant to be their allies. if you've seen it think about it, weird right? One of the biggest things was the character T'Challa, who as I've mentioned is an amazing and really cool character, he is also rated to be sixth 'most intelligent' character in the marvel universe however on the big screen he was no-where near what he was meant to be, it was like he was a completely different character in the films; I don't want to sound like a comic book nerd, I love it when characters change in films but this is a completely new person with almost no similarities other than his name. I feel he didn't grow into a King instead he simply changed his political view which is a shame because why couldn't he do both. Worth a watch, but make your own opinion I mean I'm only a film student. Oh and who the hell cared when Forest Whitaker's character died because I certainly didn't, trying to make it like an important characters death, when actually we'd only seen him twice before.
  • ying_huang3 March 2018
    Lion King with High Tech Plus Tribe Dances
    A lion king story modernized with some high tech outfit,injected with some fighting, shooting, and tribe dances.
  • edgalarza21 February 2018
    Good comic book movie, but professional critics overrated it
    My spidey BS sensors went off on high alert during the days before this film was released to theaters. The news and entertainment media began praising the movie, over and over and over. A 97% Rotten Tomatoes score was quoted often before the film had been released to general audiences. A really good film doesn't need to be praised by the entertainment community when it really is good. Word of mouth among general audiences will ramp up interest in the film. So I went to the theater to see for myself. My spidey senses were right. The professional critics overhyped this film exactly like they did The Last Jedi. Very likely for political reasons which really damages the credibility of review sites everytime they overhype a movie they want to push on to the public.

The film isn't extraordinary, but it isn't bad either. It does have high production value, much like any blockbuster sci-fi movie. To me, the film has a little bit of "Revenge of the Sith" (2005), a bit of James Bond 007, some John Carter (2012) and some Deadpool (2016). The African tribal council of Wakanda with the futuristic cityscape in the background was very reminiscent of the Jedi council on Coruscant in the Revenge of the Sith. T'Challa's sister has a little bit of "Q" from the bond films. She's the one with the laboratory filled with gadgets and Panther supersuits. Angela Bassett is like the tribe's matriarch Bond's "M" character in this film. The futuristic city and many of the flying crafts have a lot of similarities to the John Carter film of a few years ago. And the CGI fighting acrobatics over a car chase resembled the ones in Deadpool. The great battle during the climax near the end of the film resembles a war scene between two armies in Game of Thrones.

There is no denying this film has great visuals. More importantly I really feel the costume designer for this film deserves an Oscar for best costume designer. I absolutely loved all of the costumes in this film. The costumes were both African tribal and futuristic. It reminded me of Stargate Sci Fi films with their Egyption but futuristic costumes.

Where I thought the film fell short was in character development and the screenplay. The actors weren't given a wide range of emotions to display. Most of the characters are either emotionally very stern and stoic, or angry. I felt the lack of variety in emotions got in the way of making the characters more human and approachable. Michael Jordan's American accent and demeanor sticks out like a sore thumb in a cast of well spoken and articulate african character. But physically, Jordan physique does look incredibly badass and tough in the film -- so that's a plus. I'm still wondering if the skin bumps on his torso were CGI or prosthetics.

What I didn't like was the infighting between the tribes and the blame game with western cultures. The film depicts a technically advanced society but with backward tribal strifes between each other. It just seem contradictory, but that's just my opinion. I do look forward to a sequel. But I hope the sequel has an external villain were the nation of Wakanda join together to fight a common enemy instead of more infighting between tribes. Next time, make a solid story first, then build the special effects around it instead of the other way around.
  • Bert Bril3 March 2018
    3 stars for visuals
    Good idea to place 'Something Good' in Africa. Now take the idea and make a good story. Huh? Lets just mix&match visual effects and feel-good myths about (good) Africa and the (bad) western world. Good looking actors do the rest.

How is the leader of the most advanced technological society in the world chosen? Of course, by a fight to the death! The survivor gets absolute power. That results in is peaceful, diverse society (tribal of course), women are empowered (the leaders are men of course).

Strange mix of movie cliches with deep wishes from the PC squad packed in a visually appealing 3D movie.
  • ed15 February 2018
    Strange Times We Live In
    This movie is great of all the tribal people's of the world. Seeing hi tech combined with tribal royalty is interesting to say the least. Is this where we're headed? Forward to the past? Who can say..

The plot was pretty stock standard. Plenty of stuff I'd seen before.

Maybe because I'm white I didn't get the full movie effect. Listening to a black woman saying "another white boy to save" and getting a huge laugh seems a little strange when white people are soundly condemned for saying that to other races. I guess equality isn't for everyone.

This movie will make loads of money, so I expect to see more tribalism in the near future from Hollywood.
  • jodyfidelis17 February 2018
    Wait for Netflix! Extremely Overhyped! Don't Waste your Time or Money!
    I took my nephew to see this today, expecting a wonderful memorable film. Instead, it was dull and full of cliches - a stale rehash. I feel that the critics are afraid to tell the truth about this film because it certainly does not deserve a 98% rating on RT. It's sad that our society cannot be honest about ratings due to fear of ostracization. Usually Marvel heroes use humor to charm the audience, but the Black Panther uses old, worn out cliched formulas. Although it's not a terrible film ,it is certainly not deserving of anything over 50%. There were too many negative racial overtones, and I believe Marvel/Disney need to keep their political ideologies out of the moves. THe visuals were good, but the story line got lost.
  • srawrats17 February 2018
    I like Black Panther, but I didn't like this movie.
    I really had high expectations going in, maybe too high, but at some point I thought the Black Panther was in the Fast and the Furious and then some typical heist movie. OK, I'm being harsh and I didn't hate it, just didn't like it, kinda blah. And all the talk about Marvels first black superhero, but as far as movies go lets not forget Blade. I have seen Blade a few times, and I think I like it better, a little bloody, but I liked Snipes in that role, he nailed it. You know what, maybe I'm just suddenly tired of these current Hollywood blockbusters.
  • lfcamacho16 February 2018
    I wanted to but couldn't!
    Visually, cool as heck. Effects were on point. Michael B Jordan as a villain was AMAZING. All else...skip. I wanted to like this movie and looked forward to it after BP's debut in Civil War. His character and performance, and the movie wasn't nearly as good as BP in Civil War. I was very disappointed last night. And I'm a huge fan of the MCU.
  • FabledGentleman14 February 2018
    Great visuals, story delivers no surprises
    Well, i got to hand it to Marvel, though not always delivering great films, they manage to always stay on the right side of mediocre. I love the quality of their films, they more or less always look great, and in their films we constantly see great performances and witness memorable moments. But some of their films have stories and plots that can become somewhat predictable and washed down.

This is unfortunately the case with Black Panther, it is a really gorgeous film, and it has some good performances, but nothing like we saw in for example Thor Ragnarok, where Cate Blanchett and Jeff Goldblum delivered really memorable performances and are great villains, or Kurt Russel in Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2. This movie lacks a memorable villain like these.

But it's not Jordan's fault, he plays the part really well, and might be the one that delivers the best performance in the entire film. But the character he plays simply isn't all that interesting or deep, and combined with a plot that is quite predictable, there simply isn't all that much excitement to go around. No nerve in the core of the story, almost everything you expect will happen, does indeed happen.

But of course, the movie has it's moments, there are many scenes that are hands down great. And some action sequences are really well orchestrated, for example a long one shot action scene inside a casino, which was quite good. And there are plenty of short scenes that brings the giggles and puts a small break in the action scenes.

The strongest part of the film is the visuals, it's quite obvious this movie cost a lot of money, though DC managed to spend 300.000.000$ on Justice League, and that movie looks horrible. Maybe Marvel just know how to spend their money more efficiently. But i wished they could have come up with a better story for Wakanda, though they did manage to establish the soul of T'Challa, we now know him, his moral standpoints and his capabilities, which is exactly why i recommend you to see this film.

Though not by any means a perfect movie, far from it, it's still a worthy entry into the marvel universe, but don't expect any surprises, this is a straight forward film, but it's an important stepping stone before the majestic Infinity War enters theaters in about 2 months, which is not only the most expensive film ever made, but also the movie with most A list stars ever made. And it's nice to know all the character's that will face Thanos.

TL;DR - Great visuals, weak story, predictable plot, not very exiting villain.

6/10 - Fair
  • generationofswine18 February 2018
    An Honest Review
    I guess, because of the hype, I was expecting "the best Marvel movie ever," or at least "the best Marvel movie if the year."

I pray to God and Stan Lee that this isn't the best Marvel Movie of 2018.

The fact is, there are maybe 3 laughs in the entire film. Three moments where you smile. Three moments where you crack a grin and they all come exclusively from Letitia Wright.

And it wasn't because there were jokes and they didn't land. It was really because the movie took itself far too seriously. Like Winter Soldier and Civil War it had a message to tell...but unlike the Captain American movies, it thought its message was so serious that it couldn't laugh even at itself.

I think, honestly, it even forgot it was a Marvel movie. In fact at time I think that the director, crew, and cast all thought that they were making "Roots" meets the new "A Birth of a Nation"

And Martin Freedman, yeah I think he was only there to prove that he could do a better American accent than his Sherlock counterpart. Maybe it was a bet, which part of the cast of Sherlock can hold an American accent throughout an entire film?

And, honestly I am disappointed, because ALL three grins in the film went to Letitia Wright and Martin Freeman has some fairly decent comedic timing...they just didn't let it show. At least not for Freeman or ANYONE ELSE.

Honestly, I'm surprised they even let Letitia Wright makes us smile or entertain us an any way.

Honestly, it felt a lot like I was watching a college lecture...but a college lecture for a class that has a mandatory attendance policy and a professor that ONLY teaches from the book that he himself get that kind of overly-serious pretentious feel to it.

And...really, how often do people have to tell other people who they are in this movie? That really happened far too often and not in the "Bond, James Bond" way but in the "If I tell you who I am it's going to give me extra power" kind of way.

And in the end you get two fight scenes by a waterfall that weren't very inspired and failed in comparison to other MCU fights. You get a car chase that was again...uninspired and fell flat but this time in the "we've seen this before only done better" kind of way. And a climatic battle that felt a little like the Gungan/Battle Droid battle in The Phantom Menace only with better CGI and an uninspired fight between the two powers rather than the Jedi dual.

At least Winter Soldier and Civil War allowed us to laugh and relax a bit during the more serious MCU fair. At least they pulled out the stops when it came to action and, despite the message...tried to deliver something, anything.

All this gave us was, well, a lecture and one where the action seemed, well, it seemed like the cast and crew felt they were obligated to give us that and thus did it with disdain.. It felt like all involved thought that entertainment would take away from the preaching.

And really, have a message....just please entertain me. I work hard. I already went to school. What I want for the price of admission is to be entertained.

If you can't do that, if you only let Letitia Wright make me smile and then only three times in a super hero movie that doesn't wow with action...then you've failed.

In fact, you've failed so much that you aren't "the first Black super-hero movie" I'm taking that pilfered title and giving it back to Blade...because at least Blade was entertaining.
  • rodhackenflasch14 February 2018
    An Exercise In Nonsense
    This thing is being over-hyped to the max. The narrative is promising at the outset, but fails miserably as it deteriorates into the absurd, and then continues to drip like Chinese water torture from the poorly written screenplay. The acting was mostly amateurish with the exception of Forest Whitaker, who seemed out of his element, but the screenplay could very well be the culprit here. The entire production was a laughable exercise in nonsense, and the CGI was worse.
  • fambizmail16 February 2018
    Don't believe the hype
    I had high hopes for this movie after the stellar reviews started rolling in, but to be perfectly honest, this movie is EXTREMELY boring...

One of the only action scenes in the movie is the air flip over the car you see in the trailer. The other is the awkwardly short "climax" at the end. Seriously, it's over so fast you won't believe it's really over. It felt like the director just wanted to call it a day and be done with this movie.

Ultimately I feel really cheated after how amazing BP was in Civil War. Take a pass on this one, the critics are lying.
  • Kekeletso Xathi18 February 2018
    Sadly Over-hyped
    Black Panther has got people throbbing, some saying it gave rise to Africa in the MCU. Critic's seem to all love it... reviews have been rave, even before the movie actually opened in Theaters.

I found it funny, touching, strong as well as weak at some points... I do have to say that it has been over-hyped. It's not as good as Age of Ultron, and many of MCU releases. It didn't have a true villain we grew hatred for, Killmonger was just some angry kid to be honest.

The women, do pick it up though, I'd hang a few but all of them did this movie good. Their roles infused well with the plot, and none of them disappointed me.

To be honest with everyone else, I'd pretty much say that (as a black person) we loved Black Panther for it's cast and setting... Culturally - Black Panther is one of the greatest film's ever made, but Critically - It doesn't really deserve the universal acclaim. 7/10
  • xfiles_trust_no115 February 2018
    In a nutshell... Waited 2 hours or so just to watch the cut scenes.

To elaborate, this movie lacked a decent storyline, instead it was rather dull. I couldn't connect with any of the characters and as such cared little for their success or failure. Much of the hype I believe is due to the dominant African American cast. That's fine, when I watch a movie I don't care what colour people are, but in this case the hyper seems to have heavily depended on that fact and ignored more important aspects of a movie like storyline etc. The lead character was rather bland. Wait for this movie on netflix or something. I gave this movie 3 stars because Andy Serkis was funny
  • banedjokic216 February 2018
    Critics,are you kidding us (one more time)
    It is too early for April fools day. These "critics" have gone mad if they even think this is best Marvel movie, if you can call it that, such bad job with over hyping it
  • deligeez17 February 2018
    For all the hype it got I was expecting a lot more!
    (Spoiler Free) I have to say that I really like scenery in this movie unfortunately the story line, characters and actors all failed to deliver. I almost fell asleep, something that hasn't happened to me since watching The Postman as a child. Don't expect the typical Marvel adaptation, this movie takes itself very seriously and that's one of its biggest drawbacks, it's simply not fun or entertaining, the plot is very predictable, the acting feels forced and character development is lacking. I think my low rating has to do with my initial expectations, it was nothing like I imagined. The only pros other than the cool scenery is Chadwick Boseman, he's just a great actor that did his best with what was provided to him.