• Its detractors mostly fault it for what it's not- it's not your typical doctor-drama and it's not trying to portray a real-life surgeon.

If you judge the show on what it is trying to do- provide 40 minutes of heart-warming entertainment, then I think Rachel Bilson's nice-chick schtick and Lemon's bullying friendship along with great support from the rest of the cast, provides a nice alternative to practically every other TV programme out there.

I love that Hart of Dixie lets you take it with a pinch of salt. I like watching a medically oriented programme that doesn't recycle those ER clichés that every such show from Third Watch to Grey's Anatomy has to hobble through for the plot. 'Get the paddles! clear!', 'he's gone into v-tach', tacky-cardia. I mean gimme a break. I'm sorry but the fake blood, fake body parts, fake killing and murdering all have their place but if a show wants a lighter take on living, outside of Vegas, Miami and LA with fewer guns, more food, flirting, and dating and then what's not to like? I wish them many happy returns.

Hart of Dixie definitely deserves a second and third season as far as I'm concerned. I think the show has plenty of material to explore with relationships, farce & fancy and the fish out of water element. I really hope it gets renewed.
    I miss this show so much!!! I loved it so much that I literally felt like I lived there. Their lives were my lives. I related a lot to the characters because I'm from a small town in the south, and it makes me "feel at home" when I watch it. Also, I wish that my town was like Bluebell. They all come together as a family when needed most, and I wish I lived some where like that. I really, really wish they would do a season 5 so that I could find out what happens with Wade & Zoe's baby, Lavon & Lemons relationship, & what happens with George & Annabeth!! Please bring it back! I think that they're a lot of people who would love to see it come back! I first found out about Hart of Dixie while scanning through Netflix , and I was immediately hooked. I binge watched the first 3 seasons, and then it came down to season 4 and it wasn't on there. I searched high and low to find it, and finally found most of it on the CW's app. Please, please bring it back! Love -a dedicated fan of The Hart of Dixie!
  • I did not have any expectations or hopes for the show and to my surprise I was entertained and actually found the show charming. Some of the people in the story are very exaggerated and cliché like but in some strange way it is part of the charm.

I did not find the main character Zoe Hart very believable as a doctor but that really did not bother me as I found that the personal development of all the characters was more important and relevant to the story and that is part of the charm.

In the first 2-3 episodes, two characters (Wade and Lemon) stood out to me as very irritating until the story develops. Along the way the story starts to unwrap their past, the life they have been colored by and shows what character they really hold but also allows one to understand their behavior. As the story continues those two have slowly become my favorite and I just want to give them a hug, they deserve something good to find it's way to them.

This way of telling the story is central and easy as it grabs hold of once affection for those characters that live in this town and they grow on you. The town has this (Gilmore Girls) Stars Hollow feel to it with all its fun and strange traditions that without a doubt gives the show part of the charm

The acting varies very much depending on the actor but again it does not stands out as much as one might think. The stories are often very sweet and reveal the personalized twist of life.
  • Let's get this out of the way: it's not a heavy drama, it's not realistic, it's a bit clichéd. But as a weekly viewing experience: it's lighthearted, fun, charming, entertaining and it works without having to try so hard.

Some characters might annoy some viewers (the southern belle character is pushed to its limits, Rachel Bilson as dizzy surgeon who has to spend 1 year as a general doctor in the middle of nowhere might work as a dizzy new yorker but not totally convince as a surgeon), but I think that the overall charm of the show makes it easy to look past this and enjoy oneself.

People should give this show a shot and see for themselves if they enjoy it or not.
  • I love this show! All the characters are trying to find their way in life and often make mistakes due to their insecurities or conceptions of what they are supposed to be (Lemon tries to be the perfect southern belle, Zoe tries to live up to what she thinks her parents want her to be ). I love seeing the variety of ages going through life issues such as seeing Zoe finally realizes that her mom really did try to do what she thought was best for her but has errors in judgment. The scenes between Zoe and her father Ethan hart show his concern for her and insecurities about his place as her father . I love how Wade is always concerned about Zoe but is totally immature and can't admit he loves her. He works to keep up his front that he doesn't care because he is insecure about how people see him as second rate. It is fun and charming. Rachel Bilson is a great Zoe! She is funny and sensitive and a good person..and has her flaws it is ..refreshing. The heat wave episode was hilarious. The dynamic between wade and Zoe makes the show. I am tired of everyone blaming Zoe for ruining this and that..that is getting old. I hope the new shows in 2013 continue to evolve the richness of the characters along with the the humor and southern charm! I'd love to see more of AnnaBeth and see Wade realize his potential.
  • biggestd77 January 2012
    I have to say, I watched the pilot episode for the first time last night and I LOVED IT!!!!!! I thought is was an awesome show and I think that it has set up so many avenues for varying parts of the show. I can't wait to see more and I really hope there are more series of this, I am already addicted to it! I don't understand how someone could not enjoy this show personally. I think that Zoe has been set up for some great learning experiences. I can understand that there are some clichés within the show, but come on! which show doesn't have clichés in it these days? It is a television show and people who want to take it too seriously should go watch a documentary instead. I think that the clichés add to the show myself. I cannot wait to watch the next episode and hope that it comes out on DVD so I can buy it as well.
  • What do I expect from this kind of series? - That I come home after a long day and be able to relax, enjoy sometimes maybe a bit cliché story and laugh at the occasional jokes. Do I need a unique story that has never been told before and a superb acting from the protagonists? No. With that being said, Hart of Dixie is THE series for a rainy day. While for someone mediocre, it is better than the majority of soap operas currently on air. I enjoy the distinctive town of Bluebell very much, reminds me so much of Gilmore Girls' Starshollow! The setting has a rather specific atmosphere, feels like living in the 1950s sometimes. Plus, I have always been a fan of underdogs like Wade. Definitely worth giving a try.
  • I started this series mostly due to my liking of Rachel Bilson. I liked her acting in "The O.C". So I started without any expectations but found it interesting.During the starting scenes it reminded me of StarsHollow in Gilmore Girls.

After watching the first episode I can say that I found an alternative to one of my favourite shows.Without witty dialogues and cultural references(God! I miss those) it reminds me very much of Gilmore Girls."Blue Bells" is very similar town to Starshollow with it's own perks.The acting is good, I hope it will turn okay.

It is recommended to all the GG fans.
  • It's nice to have a pleasant hour long comedy with light romance on TV where no one is really evil. There are too many crime shows. Josh Schwarz delivers tongue in cheek humor and a good likable cast. It's a Dr Quinn meets Sweet Home Alabama story and it's quite charming. Zoe moves from NYC to Bluebell Alabama to practice medicine. The culture differences do provide enough laughs.

Rachel Bilson is Rachel Bilson just like Audrey Hepburn was always Audrey Hepburn. She may not be that convincing as a doctor but who cares - she is likable and manages to carry a series. The series relies on the other cast members equally. Jaimie King is pretty and acts well as the high strung Southern Belle Lemon. The male leads Scott Porter and Wilson Bethel aren't that good looking but suit their roles and are convincing actors.

Overall pleasant and watchable - I'll keep watching and hope it lasts.
  • Simply put, absolutely charming. If you're not entertained, you may just have a heart of stone. Possibly the best thing on t.v. since Northern Exposure. This is the first I've seen of Rachel Bilson so I can't compare it to the other shows mentioned in other reviews. She admirably carries the heavy load, with tons of absolutely flawless supporting players. The simmering animosity between her and the quintessential Southern Belle, Lemon, is priceless. Jaime King as Lemon Breeland is absolute Southern perfection. She is the embodiment of Southern charm. Tough as nails, wickedly condescending, at times just plain mean. Then tragically vulnerable. You just want to hug the stuffing out of her!

Darn near flawless,I can't think of how to improve the show. Perhaps some gratuitous swimsuit scenes at the local swimming hole? Maybe have Doc Hart partake in some gator hunting? Maybe a zombie crossover with the Walking Dead!?
  • fkinsman3 November 2011
    Good entertainment! I look forward to heading South once a week, where so many of my friends reside. The characters are delightful, the scenery lovely, and the small town values and foundations a good reminder to this Westerner. Southern charm with just the right amount of tension and complications of real life. A lot of people have collaborated well to make this a cohesive series. The actors are well-cast; believable. I'd enjoy seeing some 60-70 year old people in the cast, portrayed with more diversity, as the younger actors are. So far, dithering, alcoholic and dead are the characterizations in this demographic-my age bracket. We're far more than that! Perhaps in the seasons to follow I'll see this enrichment added. It's my hope that this series will not only continue, but that the writers will develop and deepen the essential premise of this terrific program. I believe that any television show that can open our nations' viewers to a wider portrayal of another region is valuable. References and responses to real events, such as Katrina, on this program, help unify us, by portraying our similarities country-wide. Hart of Dixie is already able to show our differences with humor and poignancy. Keep up the good work, and stay on the air. I look forward to continuing to follow this series.
  • I only recently discovered Hart of Dixie on Netflix, and while I really like the show itself, I'm just not all that into Zoe! I just binge- watched the first 3 seasons, and the more I watch, the more irritated I get with Zoe! She is an interfering, irritating brat who acts like she's about 15!They almost never show her doing her job, all she seems capable of is interfering with everybody else's lives, and not for the better! They really need to tone her down. And to be honest, I don't think Rachel Bilson is all that great of an actress. She seems to have the same expression and reaction to everything that happens. I know the show is supposed to be about Zoe Hart moving to Alabama, but while the other characters all have some depth to them, Zoe Hart is very one dimensional.
  • kmathers0027 June 2014
    I don't care what the negative reviews say, they are just being critical. the show definitely has a feel good attitude. people are saying Rachel bilson is a bad actor? i think she plays the role great. shes cute, awkward and sweet lol come on. you don't like it? don't watch it. doesn't mean it deserves a bad review. All the characters mess well together, the jokes are a little quirky and make you laugh a little. people need to be more open minded when watching television shows. many have negative aspects or area of acting, writing or production; (even top rated ex game of thrones haha) but most have many positives aspects as well! maybe i just respect it all.. :)
  • I am really close to the end of the last season & I really do not want to end my binging on this show. Love it! So light hearted, fun and I really need for it to come back! Love the town, the south & the characters. It really needs to come back to tv!
  • Hart of Dixi is the definition of "feel good" TV. I am all to quick to seek out big time drama but so glad I gave this a chance! It is light and is def a good escape at the end of a tough day. Very, June Clever-ish. The stereotypes are fun and you fall in love with each character as they develop more and more. The rumors of cancellation is my reason for reviewing... I would love to see the show live on! I find myself craving the "mood" of the show and have started to go for round 2! I am not one to watch a show twice but it's more than just the story-line that brings me back for more. In most series, the story-line is all that keeps me watching, and once that is over, so is my attention. Hart of Dixi will not overwhelm you with drama but has just enough to keep you hooked. It brings such a unique pleasure/mood, you are sure to fall in love with the town of Blue Bell :) I know my little review is nothing when it comes to the renewal of a show but hopefully, there are enough Hart of Dixi fans out there to speak up and encourage the show to live on!!
  • I didn't find this show until it was on Netflix and I'm sorry that it took so long to find. I love it!!! Its nice to have something lighthearted to watch. Life is already way too stressful why add more. I've already binge watched it three times (my life is full of a little too much reality right now) and I like it more every time. I love the 'love triangle' aspect with the 'under dog' winning. I absolutely love the character Wade. He's deep and caring while coming off as a jerk (in the beginning) but he grows so much throughout the series and Zoe starting off as a New Yorker with a entitled attitude becoming more down home and happy. I have to give props to the person who did the soundtrack for this series. They picked all the perfect songs/music for everything. As I said, I love this show
  • Season 1 was sweet and fun I watched it back when it originally aired. I could not remember why I never watched the rest of the show and now I know it lost is charm and etc. They seemed to completely change the way some characters act which they can grow but some seemed to have had totall brain swaps.
    Haven't been this excited about a new TV show since Gilmore Girls. I love this show. Great actors and a wonderful story line. I think the story is going to be great. Enjoyed the first couple episodes. So far the show has been fairly clean. I missed episode 1 but will watch it online. The second episode was great though. Very good story line. Zoe takes over her fathers practice after he passes away. She later learns he was her dad. Now she has to bring in 30% of the business to keep her job. So far she's been a great asset to the community although they don't know it yet. It almost looks like the same set used in Gilmore girls but set in Alabama. I loved Gilmore girls so I'm expecting great things... Just saw that others said it's like Gilmore girls. The CW is on the right track.
  • Discovered this show recently and was so sad when I finished the last episode. One of those feel good shows that make you fall in love with the characters and just happy when you watch it. All the characters developed so much throughout the show. Especially Jaime King's acting as Lemon! Would love to see a revival of the show to see where the characters are now in their lives.
  • Not having the CW just discovered Hart Of Dixie about 3 weeks ago. Found while trying to find something worth watching on NetFlixs. Saw the trailer and figured I'd give it a shot. Watched all 4 seasons. Fantastic!!! Wish it was still on. Would love to move to Bluebell. Haven't enjoyed a sitcom this much since Friends. Great escape from reality.
  • I started watching this Hart of Dixie recently on Netflix while home sick for the weekend. I hadn't ever heard of this show before, but the premiere episode was so good that I couldn't stop watching it. Three days later and I'm already on episode 24!!! I absolutely love it! I was born and raised in the south, but now live on the west coast in one of the largest cities in America. This show takes me back to life as a child growing up sipping sweet tea on the front porch swing and eating homemade peach pies on Sundays at the church picnics. So refreshing to finally watch a show that I am comfortable letting my kids watch too. We all can hardly wait to sit down on the couch and escape to a small town south of the Mason Dixon Line in the midst of our big city lives. Thank you CW for this really heartwarming show!!!!
  • I don't care what any other critic has to say, I fell in love with this show for many reasons. Times are and we're hard and tragic. Bluebell is the town I truly wished existed. The casting was fantastic. (I agree Linley and Joel were detractors-especially having seen that guy on Dexter. That was a bad choice. So was Linley.) I've been rewatching the episodes as a form of escape since it ended. Yeah the musical end was campy and funny but unfortunately they knew they had only 10 episodes to wrap. I still escape to the sweet imagery and plot points and humor. COME BACK TO TV!!!!! We need a beautiful escape like Bluebell! A reunion at least.
    Out of all of the characters in this show, actress Rachel Bilson is surprisingly my least favorite. Her acting skills are very poor and horribly over dramatic. Especially her constant fake whining in the last season when she's pregnant. AnnaBeth, Lavon, and Lemon were my favorite for sure! Storyline was good till the last episode. It's like everything was squeezed into one episode and just cut off.
    The pilot was free on Itunes so I watched it unexpectedly. I was pleasantly surprised.

The characters were believable even with a cliché' insulting to city people living in the country. Her initial reluctance and feelings that she can't make it work there are believable as well as the unexpected devices urging her to stay.

This does differ from Doc Hollywood enough to be it's own story. Whereas Doc Hollywood was more of a town contriving to capture a doctor this is more a story of a town that has one doctor already. In contrast the Hart of Dixie story is about a town where some of the people insist another doctor is needed. The pilot episode hints at why, and shows a doctor truly touched by compassion in spite of hints that she's just another young doctor after a huge paycheck. The opposition to a new doctor along with strong support easily dismissing the objections is quite well done.

There was a bit of irony with Hart being desired as a new doctor for the very qualities she was accused of not possessing yet.

In spite of this being a standard episode length pilot I thought the time was well used and the story well established. The characters as well as plot devices presented themselves as real and believable with only one or two exceptions that seemed to be thrown in for comic relief.
  • Tried to watch. Interesting premise done much better in a Michael J. Fox movie titled 'Doc Hollywood.' Rachel Bilson looks cute in her cute little hot pants, but she needs to take a few acting classes! Every line she delivers and every action she takes is indicated and it drives me nuts. Had to stop watching after 5 episodes. Couldn't take the phony. A show like this can be funny and heartfelt AND well-acted at the same time. Rachel, take some acting classes with a great teacher who won't let you get away with indicating...for the sake of growing your career. Soon, the cute will no longer work for you.

Even though this is a comedy, I still have to believe that Zoe is mature enough to have made her way through medical school, an intense internship, and has the intelligence to actually have the potential to be a neurosurgeon. It's really a prerequisite for the character. So far, the character as played by Ms. Bilson falls way short.